Speaker 1: Hi Heart podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 3: A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura.
Speaker 4: Burn Radio work, Our windows done, that's my worldris in the dust.
Speaker 3: Only good fabs are all down.
Speaker 1: I've done much now, but yeah, I'm not our big get and what I want it don't mattle where goes?
Speaker 3: This is the pickup. Hi guys, Happy Monday. It's Britt Hockey and Laura Burn here at the pickup. Do you know what I haven't figured out yet?
Speaker 5: Laura?
Speaker 1: What if we start talking when that intro is playing?
Speaker 3: Do people hear it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Gray said no, No, I just literally said I was just talking.
Speaker 3: I was like, should I have said that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Because like, there's actual people here who know how to do their jobs, and they paddl us properly.
Speaker 1: Because usually when the intro's playing, we look at each other and we whisper to each other.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be nice to be a fly on the wall and hear all the things that don't go to air that could probably get us fired a lot of other people on Radio fire too, but you know what, look, lots of things to discuss today and I hope that you can all bear with me because I have entered a new phase of pregnancy, and that is that I have pregnancy insomnia.
Speaker 3: And I haven't slept in about two and a half days.
Speaker 1: So what does that look like for you of a night time? Are you getting little like forty minute naps? Are you're not sleeping at all?
Speaker 2: No, I go to sleep, I'm like, I'm really tired because the other the Cash twenty two of pregnancy is that it makes you completely exhausted. So I get into bed and I'm so excited for a good night's sleep. Kids are asleep and I'm in there, and then I go to sleep for like an hour, and then I'm ping And I could just lay there looking at the ceiling for two and a half hours. What is contemplating? Have I done my taxes?
Speaker 3: What about life? You know? Should I?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Are my kids drinking enough water and eating healthy? I don't know. I literally will think about the full spectrum of life in the middle.
Speaker 1: There's science behind pregnancy insomnia.
Speaker 3: They do say.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is science, but maybe it's like you're getting prepared for the terrible sleep that you're gonna have once the baby's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't reckon that's it. I think someone's just saying that produced gray.
Speaker 2: So the case, I think it's just because I have a baby that's the size of the cabbage kicking me straight in the.
Speaker 3: Bagina Grace went on the spot.
Speaker 1: We quickly just make a Google or something. We're like, get on the case, Grace.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's hormones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, physical, hormonal and emotional changes.
Speaker 2: Great, fantastic. Well, I'm glad we got to the bottom of that. Anyway, let's get into the.
Speaker 1: Hey, Laura question. If you were to go and see like one of your favorite artists, but they said you weren't allowed to bring your phone, how would you feel? Would it bother you or to put.
Speaker 3: You off going? How are they going to police it? Is my question?
Speaker 1: Okay, well I have that answer. So this is actually happening at the moment. Sabrina Carpenter has come out. She went to a concert herself in Las Vegas to see Silk Sonic, and part of that gig was the fact that you weren't allowed to take phones, so you had to put your phone away. It was like a no phone gig. She said she's never had a better experience at a concert. She was loving it. Everyone was dancing, engaging, that was like they were back in the seventies. And she's saying, well, maybe I'm going to consider no phones at one of my future concerts.
Speaker 3: I mean, I understand the debate for it.
Speaker 2: I get it, like it must be annoying being on stage and everyone's actually just watching you and not really watching you, they're watching you through a phone.
Speaker 3: But I also think that there's there's positives to it too.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's not any one of that thinks this, Like multiple people have come out in the past, John Mayer, Billie Eilish have a listened to Billy's comment.
Speaker 4: All I ask is that we all try to live in the moment and a lot of the time I'll say, put your phones away, but if you want a film, that's okay, just put it next.
Speaker 3: To your face.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Look at me in my eyes, be here, because this is the only moment we get to be in, this moment, and like we're never going to be right here this second, on this day and this age ever again. This is the only only moment we ever again ever ever.
Speaker 1: I do like it just before Laura. You said, well, I could be doing a pooh, and Laura's like, I could be on the toilet doing a poo and it will be the last moment I get to do that.
Speaker 3: Okay. I love Billie Eilish, but that's one.
Speaker 2: Of those you have to be their moments to really feel the magnitude of it, because when someone's like, it's the only moment we're going to be here, like that can be said about every second of your life.
Speaker 3: You could you could apply that logic to sitting on the toilet doing a pooge like you can't.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have multiple feelings about this, but I give.
Speaker 1: Me one feeling.
Speaker 2: I don't have time for multiple uncertainty.
Speaker 3: I think it's too hard to police.
Speaker 2: And my biggest issue with it is like it's okay to say, oh, look, you know, no phones or put your phones down, so then.
Speaker 3: People like socially police each other. So if someone has their phone out, it's a bit like put your phone away. But I don't think that you could like stop people from bringing a phone into a venue for a massive concert. Imagine how long those lines would be. They're already too long, Laura.
Speaker 1: There is something called a secure pouch. What's it called grace. It's a Yonder patch, that's a Yonder pouch, and this is.
Speaker 3: Like a female feminine product, Yes, pouch.
Speaker 1: So they've got these pouches where I'm imagining it's a secure patch. They can only be like locked. It can only be opened in certain parts of the venue. So maybe it's like the bar, or it's the entrance or toilet or whatever it is. But I'm imagining people line up and when you're scanning your tickets, you get a Yonder pouch.
Speaker 3: They watch you lock your.
Speaker 1: Phone in it, and then everyone knows you can't open it until you go back to this area. So you've got your phone on you, but it's not allowed to be used.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm sort of like, I sort of think it's cool. I understand why artists would say, hey, guys, surprisingly we don't want to stare at your phone, like eighty thousand phones just looking at us. We'd love to be engaging with you and seeing your reaction. Are you enjoying it? Like? Are you vibing it being the moment? But I also understand where we live in a day and age where that's also helping promote that artist totally.
Speaker 2: And I think, like it's you've got to be in a pretty privileged position to say, oh, I don't need the promotion of people and their instagrams.
Speaker 1: Like Sabrina Carpenter can say that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like most artists need their audience sharing it and like, you know, promoting it across socials and all that sins of stuff to be able to sell out venues or to get more eyes on the.
Speaker 3: Products that they're creating. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember, this is not a debate. I remember it was very very obsessed with John Mayer back in about twenty thirteen, and he came out saying that constitutor is different now. He's like, I don't feel as though people are enjoying them when they're at my concerts. And then I go on social media to see how many people have shared it and what they've said about it, to actually get a gauge because people are watching me perform through a phone.
Speaker 1: Well, he actually said, funnily enough, I've got his quote here.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: People aren't going crazy, And I think to myself, I'm not playing a very good show, am I? And then I look out into the audience and they are going crazy, but not for me. They're applauding into the phone, so that sends back to like it must feel really hard. Imagine how insecure they are. It's like the John Mayer who was huge, and he's still on stage being like, oh god, these guys aren't enjoying this, Like no one's laughing, clapping, cheering, celebrating. They're just looking into their screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the question is who's having a bad time, Like is the audience still having a good time or is.
Speaker 3: It just because of the person on.
Speaker 1: That's what he doesn't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, but there is nothing worse than if you're in the standing area and some idiot in front of you has their phone out and you can't see over it and you're watching the person on the stage through their phone because that's all you can see.
Speaker 3: That's why I see it. It is better Yep, YONDI pouch.
Speaker 1: Here we come.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I want to know if all the parents out there give us a call. We are asking what is the inappropriate thing that your kids said? They said it out loud, other people heard it, and you just wish they hadn't because you know, in how that old adage like kids will say the dundest things. Sometimes it's cute, and sometimes you're just like, wow, I've really fail.
Speaker 3: As a parent.
Speaker 1: I think it's a rite, a passage. I think that you can't escape it as a parent. Like at some stage, every child is going to embarrass you with something.
Speaker 2: They say, Well, my daughter, Marley May, she just turned six, she had a birthday last week, and I you know, six is kind of at that age where you start to come out of it. They've got a little bit more social awareness, they know right from wrong, a.
Speaker 3: Little bit more.
Speaker 2: I would expect these things from my four year old, but not from my six year old.
Speaker 1: So no, I'm sorry. Six year olds don't get a pass They know better.
Speaker 3: Do they know? She's a kindie? The thing is is she does know better.
Speaker 2: And sometimes they don't say things meaning for it to be super offensive, but they just say a matter of fact thing. It's a statement like they've observed something they don't understand that maybe that might hurt someone's feeling, and.
Speaker 3: They just say it.
Speaker 1: Also, I say they know better. I don't even know what she said yet, so let me judge. I'll judge her after the fact.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, you guys can all judge her now, so our really really good family friend. She also works for us at Life on Cut.
Speaker 3: She's been in my life. Her name is Nest.
Speaker 2: She's been in my life like the last to twelve years, and she is a huge dog lover and she's actually the reason why I ended up adopting my dog Buster, because she was fostering him at the time. Now, her and her wife, they were a beautiful dog named Juni, and Juni has been a huge part of their family. And you know, they've been through big transitions, They've had little kids themselves, and you know, Junie's been there whilst their family has grown. And recently she had an accident and they had to make the really hard decision of putting their dog down. And anyone who's been through that when their dog, when your dog is a family member, it is devastating, absolutely devastating also because.
Speaker 1: Their dog was so young and it was unexpected.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And now look the other weekend, it was like a situation where they were having friends over. Anyone who was really close to Junie and our girls are it.
Speaker 3: Was the wake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it wasn't awake because it was a pre it was before that actually had Junie put down so everyone could say they're goodbyes, and Junia had this beautiful day and I sort of said, look, I don't know if my kids are at an age where this will go down.
Speaker 3: Well, they're really turbo.
Speaker 2: I was like, everyone's quine, kind of solemn and having nice time, and she probably needs.
Speaker 3: A bit of calm. I was like, I don't think my.
Speaker 2: Kids are right for this, and they were like, no, no, no, bring them along and I was like, no, it's really I just don't think it's right anyway, So I didn't go on the day, and we went over for dinner a couple of days later, and we were there just you know, have a carug and show our support, and Matt and I went over, brought the kids and we picked up dinner and we all had dinner together.
Speaker 3: And it was a really lovely night.
Speaker 2: And of course on the drive over there, I had to explain to the girls what had happened and why Junie wasn't there anymore, and you could see Marley and Lola were processing, and they've experienced death in our family, like their grandparents have passed away, and so they no one understand that that means that that personal thing is not here anymore, and so we had a lovely night, I had a lovely dinner. But anyway, the next day sent a nice message to my friend and I was like, oh, you know, it was really nice to see you. I hope that you hope that you guys are feeling okay And she said, yeah, yeah, we were feeling great. That was until Marley pointed out one of the dog toys and said, why have you got that?
Speaker 3: Your dog's dead. You don't need that anymore, point blank, sent.
Speaker 2: Her in a text message to me, and I was like, sorry she did She did not, and she was like, hey, yeah she did.
Speaker 3: Actually.
Speaker 2: In fact, she pointed out several things that the dog had that were around the house and told us that it's not needed.
Speaker 3: To be fair, it's not why have you got a dog bed? Your dog's dead. But she didn't say it in front of me, or I would have corrected her. She said it behind my baby.
Speaker 1: You don't correct her because it's right. What she said is right. Maybe she seems to understand that it was like more gentle ways.
Speaker 3: Ye, wrong, that's the problem. It is true, like, yes, it's fact, that's really wrong. Actually, So then I do feel like at six, it's pretty old. No, six is pretty mature. Do you know what she was hangering for? Do you know what it was? And I figured it out. She wanted she wanted to take the dog toy home. She liked it, and she was like, you don't need that. Guess who does. I'll take it off.
Speaker 1: I'll take it off your heads.
Speaker 2: We're talking about what is the inappropriate thing that your kids said that you wish they hadn't, because look, Marley May came out with the doozy the other day and I don't know. We were discussing is six too late? Like, is it too old that they should know better at this age?
Speaker 1: Well, pretty grace, do you think we should to tell Laura what happened about what Molly said?
Speaker 2: Yes, just to set it up if you miss what we were just talking about. Basically, our very very good friend had just put down their family dog and.
Speaker 3: Were devastated about it.
Speaker 2: We went over there to give them a you know, to all kind of like go around and give them a hug and have.
Speaker 3: A nice dinner.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know this, but my daughter was pointing out all of the dog paraphernalia in the house and saying, you don't need that because your dog is dead because she wanted to take it home.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so not long ago. It's like two weeks ago at my wedding. Yeah, Marley did something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my wife and I got to hang out with your lovely children, who are delightful.
Speaker 3: Dear God, are you dare? They're not even here to defend themselves.
Speaker 5: And we were sitting there and Marley looks at my wife Diana and goes, she your grandma. And I was like, no, this is my wife.
Speaker 3: We're married, and she was like, okay, is that it? That was it?
Speaker 5: Like we have six years between us.
Speaker 3: It's not exactly. Well, there's an age gap right there. Six years is a long time. She's only been a life for six years. The poor kid, It wasn't that woman is as old. She's like a whole six years old. That could be your mom, could be grandma grandma?
Speaker 1: Is that your grandmother's?
Speaker 3: Sorry? Sorry? And also how did Diana react to this?
Speaker 5: She told Marley that I was her daughter, so she really leant into it.
Speaker 3: I like that, you really just cause like some more confusion to try and fix that problem.
Speaker 1: We weren't even going to bring it up, but it was just too when you.
Speaker 3: Were too much bless her. Oh my god, I hope my kids are not listening to this anyway. I hope they're at school. We got bad now, three o'clock. They're finished, They got picked up half an hour ago. What my kids get to school these days? Three o'clock, babe, it's got no idea.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry, but wech Honey, we.
Speaker 2: Work on the pickup. That's when people are picking their children up from school.
Speaker 3: That's the whole point.
Speaker 1: I thought, three thirty, all.
Speaker 2: Right, we got Beth on the line, Hi, bed thought was the inappropriate thing your kids said?
Speaker 6: So, my daughter would have been maybe three and a half. I'm sitting on the toilet in all my glory. She wanders in, looks me dead in the eyes, and says, Mummy, why does your bum have a beard? And then I had to proceed to explain to her, honey, it's not a beard. Tell her all about it. And then I'm made sure to tell her wait till you're older, darling, your bum's gonna have a beard too, were you like?
Speaker 2: Because I'm breaking down the stereotypes and I'm like, you know, embracing.
Speaker 3: Women have hair too. Goddamn it, we're giving her a pass.
Speaker 1: She's I'm allowing that one.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, all right, thanks that bear, Kara, What did your kids say that you wish they hadn't?
Speaker 6: So when I take my daughter into the public toilets after she's been and it's my turn, she'll say, very loudly, are you doing a pooh mum?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm like, oh my god, so embarrassing.
Speaker 2: They start to describe the smell of it as well. Because you've kept the logic, they'll do it in mind.
Speaker 6: The other thing is is like I'm doing a Wii but she still has to ask me so loudly in front of everybody.
Speaker 3: How do you respond?
Speaker 2: How do you because you've got to have then have a conversation, and you know everyone in the store next door is having a giggle about it.
Speaker 1: You say, we don't talk.
Speaker 6: Usually, I go I'm just doing awei.
Speaker 3: Are you quiet? And then you hear the person next door giggling.
Speaker 7: I know, I know she's entertaining, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Thanks Kara, Amy, What did your kids say that you wish they hadn't?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So my daughter coming from a red eyed flight into Australia from Malaysia, decided to tell her customs office so that her dad had a big willie. Why don't know, We don't know. And it was more alarming for me because I was like, that's something I've never said, Like, where does she get that? How does she know what that is?
Speaker 1: The customs? Are you importing anything?
Speaker 3: Well, my dad's got a big willy.
Speaker 7: My husband was stoked. You could imagine the customer's officers that have very limited personality were was cracking up laughing. So she's now eleven and never lives it down at the time, did you say she was two and a half.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that.
Speaker 2: Is absolutely gold. But also you do question why does a two year old have any clue?
Speaker 7: And I could just I was like, what did she do? Typical think I run around in our home telling my husband he's got a big WILLI all the time, exactly where my brain was like, Hey, if.
Speaker 1: You guys want to use that on that TV show security that put me on your ads.
Speaker 7: That's okay. He was stoked. He thought it's the best thing ever.
Speaker 2: So thanks, that's going from us the end of the show.
Speaker 3: I'm a way to finish.
Speaker 2: But also like, this is not something that is unfamiliar to any parent.
Speaker 3: I feel like that this is just a rite of passage when it comes to parenting.
Speaker 2: You've just got to figure out how to navigate these situations the best you can.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Guys, look, if you've missed any of the show, you want to catch up on it.