Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, now, what was the last thing you googled? Every day? You truck so much stuff into Google? Just random run this random noise.
Speaker 4: Since as I look at my phone and I look at if Googled, I've got to have a five hundred tams open, it's just actually out to diver Madman, just one guy of five hundred people. How old is Gerard Butler? Why would I need to know that Friday night? Because I'm watching a bang out fish movie? Isn't it white? With putting the story? Old is that guy? By the way, it's because we got instant access to information, we think what we can we can. I was taking my daughter out to build up a drive and it was yesterday and she was going, oh, you know, do you know that?
Speaker 3: Did you know? Dad? You know she shtort on the show that elephants have names for each other?
Speaker 5: Did they really?
Speaker 3: I did not know that? She said? Yes?
Speaker 4: On No, I found out on TikTok right, kids get all information on tikto stay Google right, So.
Speaker 3: Yes, I actually found myself. We're going to bed check up on that.
Speaker 4: And as troll readly asking elephants called each other by their names, Study Fines. And then I was also, you know who I fear making rice?
Speaker 5: I thought you were on top of it.
Speaker 3: Now, me too, Jack, I.
Speaker 4: Know, but I'm afraid to say, Jack, thank you for concerned tone. Though I think you're on top of that. We've been here, I know we have been we had calls. And so yesterday I made from scratch a really nice curry, right, and then I was looking at the bas Matti rice and I started to get performance anxiety.
Speaker 3: I was like, God, damn it, come on, you've done this, You've mastered this.
Speaker 4: Is it two to one? Is it one and a half to one? Oh God, I've forgot I actually googled how make bas Matti race? Luckily recipe in eats. She was there and she had the perfect recipes one and a half. If you want to know, I know controversial, people say too. Back of the packet said to recipe and eats. I trust her more than I'm afraid the packet of bas Matti rice.
Speaker 3: That you don't know.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a TV show the way you guys are talking.
Speaker 3: About It's better than that.
Speaker 4: It's a life change, bigger, bed, bigger, TV Recipe Tin Eats, change your.
Speaker 5: Line, so she just gives you recipes.
Speaker 4: Oh my good god, get a load of this guy. All right, my friend, I'm going to say your life right now, there's now going to be you now and then you now knowing about Recipe t Eat she go online.
Speaker 3: Is just all these recipes and I don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: We've got all these cookbooks, but I don't use anything about the cookbooks. It's instant the way it's laid out, and it works. Sometimes you recreates on the cookbook and you're like, God, damn it, Jamie Oliver, that's a piece of crap. Did you even try your own food? Man?
Speaker 3: H no way, where was this stuff? It's idiot proof.
Speaker 5: My mom has a conspiracy about Jamie books that she thinks he leaves out an ingredient or two so that we don't make it as good as him, so that if we ever go to this restaurant and he makes it, we go, oh wow, we can't do it like Jamie does.
Speaker 3: Watch out Jamie Oliver for Jill Posts.
Speaker 5: She's onto you.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's on you, my friend Tamara show.
Speaker 4: So let's see if we can find out other small low hanging fruit of conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: That one about Jamie Oliver. I love.
Speaker 4: I'd rather hear that level than five gene. You know what they do when they were the vaccine in you, Patsy? What have you googled over the weekend?
Speaker 6: Okay, so last night I googled or google boogle boogle machine. Is mel Brooks still alive? We're watching on Netflix remembering Gene Wilder. It's a fabulous documentary.
Speaker 3: I've got that watch this is it good?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's brilliant. He was, Yeah, it was. It was fantastic. And of course mel Brooks he worked with a lot and was it on Young Frankenstein. I think yes. Anyway, Chris goes, oh mel Brooks he was great, And I said, was he's still alive? He goes, no, he's not.
Speaker 3: He is alive.
Speaker 6: I'm going to google it anyway. He is and he's ninety seven now, still going like amazing.
Speaker 3: Ninety seven.
Speaker 4: Being in a restaurant in London about eight years ago, right, and mel Brooks was in there and I was, I was there the side of the restaurant and.
Speaker 3: He stood on a chair right and he went, excuse me, everyone, yes, it iss.
Speaker 4: No one was looking at him right, No one was looking at him, and I thought, bloody, what a funny.
Speaker 3: Guy still doing that. He knew no one was looking at him. He just had to do it.
Speaker 7: He must have been.
Speaker 3: If he's ninety seven, this would have been eight years ago.
Speaker 4: And then when suddenly was like, I don't know those Melbourne, Who is that raal old crazy man right there?
Speaker 3: What else did you google?
Speaker 6: But what else? Our yucker plants? Impossible to kill? We We're going to get some plants on the weekend. And Chris said, you know what I reckon? We should put some yuckers in the front garden and never.
Speaker 3: Ever a staple bland office plant.
Speaker 6: Aren't they You can't kill him though, you see, why do you want to kill them? No, because they get too big. People let them get too big. If you give them enough space, they will take it up and you cannot kill them. You can't. They're impossible to kill. The Other thing we're talking about flies before last night with them buzzing around our dinner. Why are there so many flies this week?
Speaker 3: I need to know abouts What did it say?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I didn't read it.
Speaker 5: Is this true? I can't remember what country it is? But my dad told me when I was young that one country chose to kill all their flies, and they did and now they have no flights.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, now, listen, you're actually a smart guy.
Speaker 4: To the casual listener, they might not think, but Jackie, you're a very smart guy. Just just give it a couple of seconds. How was the country we need to come around? Not just going to take a word for it to kill all flies?
Speaker 8: Christian Connell's show.
Speaker 4: Podcast Right now, then, jack post you went to see a difficult comedy show last night in town.
Speaker 5: Where you went to see a local improv night. It's brilliant, actually yeah, And they had special guest and Edmund On.
Speaker 4: She is so very very funny, funny start. I think she's awesome.
Speaker 5: Improv is something that we've shied away from for a long time because years ago I took Biank's parents and Bianca to an improv show and it was just so bad.
Speaker 3: It's horrendous. When it's great, it's unbelievable. But there's no medium, is there.
Speaker 5: There was there? There was just no laughter the whole time, so four people sat in silence. There wasn't even the kind of laughter where you could pretend that you're having fun.
Speaker 4: You start to actually hate the people doing I start to imagine bad things befolling them.
Speaker 5: And they they start to be aware that whatever they were doing is not just.
Speaker 4: You're eating one and you're making up eating one. They probably use that as an unfunny sketch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we still do the full hour.
Speaker 4: And were they asking so last night it was good? And were they obviously the audience heavily involved? He sat out suggestions next.
Speaker 5: To the exactly they yell out, like you say a random word that you're thinking of. I don't like to do audience participation, though, so I leave that to others.
Speaker 3: Patsy. By the way, before the show today, Jack told Reu.
Speaker 5: No no, no no, I already started.
Speaker 4: Grind each other a couple of no no nos a couple of years. Is are you hugging in your no no no no no.
Speaker 3: No, because you suspanding.
Speaker 4: We should all be allowed a kind of no no no over the over the course of the show.
Speaker 3: No no no. If you don't want to, I won't.
Speaker 5: No, okay, I will no.
Speaker 3: I prefer the way that I always I always have it up, always have.
Speaker 4: It up there, even if I'm handing you an award. I always spend you all year. You remember why he didn't do that improv Oh, I.
Speaker 3: Would just jack posts everyone presential of the year.
Speaker 5: I would just rather handle it than you retell it. I said to Christian Rhea that I didn't like to yell out a suggestion just in case the off chance that the participants on stage recognized me from the radio and then it put them off, which I know, I know, I know is a low probability.
Speaker 6: I asked you to come up on stage.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh my god, look he's here. And then and then all of a sudden, the whole er and they get.
Speaker 3: To see the magic man. Yes, wow, how we Oh my god, we're shon Hoo's. But is that Michael Jordan there? Oh please, mister Mitch, Oh my god, accompany that. I'm intimidated now Robin Williams is here, Guys.
Speaker 5: I know it's duty.
Speaker 3: I'm off duty.
Speaker 4: I think of me as a mere audience member and not the professional improviser.
Speaker 3: I am professionally funny, no script. Every day I will be in the shadows and see imagine I wasn't here, and wasn't here. I shouldn't have come. I shouldn't have come.
Speaker 4: With my new status and reputation that follows me everywhere.
Speaker 3: Oh darned me.
Speaker 9: I I'm Jack Post, so magnificence even in the dark, I'm probably beaming right now and if you see me illuminated.
Speaker 3: It was a good show. It was good to show.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 4: Lisa, one of our listeners, was on Deal or No Deal. She did bring it me a couple of weeks ago. She called us saying that she was on her way to the recording, not knowing that she was going to be selected.
Speaker 3: And we're trying to give us some.
Speaker 7: Advice in the car with a partner and my son and we're on our way to a taping of Deal or No Deal. It's actually random you actually get picked. But yeah, you've got a pretty good chance.
Speaker 5: So why not have you talked about whether you'll split the money or not.
Speaker 7: We're just on renovations and we need to put three face power in the house, so I need to.
Speaker 4: Pay for that, right Listen, listen, You're not going to get selected with that story, those producers. No, no, We've got to help you with a great story story.
Speaker 3: Okay, So be the energy. You're going to be on TV when you arrive.
Speaker 7: Yep, all right, gotcha, and you've got.
Speaker 3: This, You've got this. You've just got to have that story, all right. Forget that. I don't want to hear anymore about those three ovens. Okay, she took all that, and well this happened.
Speaker 10: I'm looking for, Lisa mipsode.
Speaker 7: What are we trying to win money for three phase power?
Speaker 6: I know three phase power at home?
Speaker 3: You need more power.
Speaker 7: Yes, we're going through renovations and we're putting in three ovens.
Speaker 11: Three ovens, ovens, ovens.
Speaker 4: Rapidly Paul Grant going nowhere, running out of runway. Grant, I warned, could have been me there, but for the grace of God, go anyway.
Speaker 5: I didn't see the program going to air, but you know that he's looking off to the side and a producer like, we're going to have a talk about this later.
Speaker 3: That producer has left the show as of two days ago. But Lisa did brilliantly at the very last second, you said K sixteen, Yeah he is there, thirty or are you walking out a year with forty thousand dollars?
Speaker 10: Let's find out inside enjoy the extra power.
Speaker 6: Some beautiful meals on behalf of steak.
Speaker 10: You're all invited to be.
Speaker 3: Do you know anyone who's won someone on TV show? Yes? I do.
Speaker 6: Actually back in the eighties in primary school, remember Natalie monkey Bars? Natalie?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, this is a story that should never been shared by Patsy. That actually killed the direction. Jack and I were taking a show we can never talk about. Have you been injured from monkey Bars? After I just speculated that actually no one's ever got injured from monkey Bars, and Patsy just suddenly said nothing and then went by.
Speaker 3: My friend Natalie fell off on and broke her neck.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's really badly. She's good now, all good now. But her mum was on Sale of the Century and won a set of saucepans with Tony Barber once.
Speaker 4: These were good prices. Yeah, eighties going bloody hell.
Speaker 3: You heard coming up next? Saucepans.
Speaker 5: I actually think that would be a popular Do.
Speaker 4: You know what, We've got a two week break. Let's come back strong, Let's come back with saucepan every.
Speaker 3: Day every day? One family spans?
Speaker 4: Were those nice those nicely crusade ones or something like that, those big old heavy ones.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, but I think it was one of the you know pick aboard where you had to pick behind someone's head and then they turned it around.
Speaker 5: That's the famous faces, famous.
Speaker 3: Faces who guess who? Guess who? Yes?
Speaker 6: And you know the model had them there on the stage and they're in a rack. There was like ten.
Speaker 3: Piecess to love old school game shows. She is so popular, didn't they? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, now you look back and there was like it was like it's like basic prize.
Speaker 3: I set of encyclopedia and I remember the other one was matching luggage lose their mind.
Speaker 10: Some suitcases and carry on?
Speaker 4: What They're all the same, They're not random colors. Oh my god, to live like this. Thank you, Tony Barber.
Speaker 8: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, what have you won from a TV show? Jason? Yeah? I won a football on The Early Bird Show and from other parapherna see just basic prizes. But they meant the world, didn't they about you? You coverted? Yeah, what did you have to do?
Speaker 11: I had to go on the handball competition?
Speaker 5: So you actually went in studio Yeah, into the studio channel team there.
Speaker 4: Wow, wow, Jason, thank you very much your story mate, thanks for calling very problem. So yeah, let's get a Maria here.
Speaker 12: Oh, good morning guys. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good Maria? And now what did you win on a TV show?
Speaker 12: My sister won a competition on a program back in the early nineties called Smash Sheets. She won tickets to see Lisa's dancefield in London at Wembley Stadium. And we got tickets to go to London and to see a show and she got her name picked out of the barrel.
Speaker 4: Wow, that was a big moment. You got your name right out on TV. It was been anointed by the paper.
Speaker 12: And we didn't watch it, so we got a PHS video said to our home so we could see her name being out of the barrel.
Speaker 4: You'll want this, You'll want this for history preserved on VHS and.
Speaker 12: Absolutely And we didn't even end up going to see Lisa standsfield. We couldn't make the show.
Speaker 4: Do you mean that you ungrateful? I know the great Lisa's stands up around the world.
Speaker 12: I know what, I know.
Speaker 3: What do you mean he couldn't make the show? That's what you were there for, you playing the trip around.
Speaker 12: It A little ungrateful, little little teenager, and I said to my older sister, I went to camp, but I've got school and we've got to miss the show. But we can still go to London. So we missed the show.
Speaker 5: How grateful I feel sorry for us. She would have looked out into the front.
Speaker 4: Row Pranian fans growing the audience out there, Maria, thank you very much, your story mate, pair, What did you win on TV show?
Speaker 1: My wife's friend when she was younger, got on the Price is right all the way through to the final round. They showed her all the prizes and then get to put them in price order to win the whole thing, the whole cash jackpipe, And unfortunately for the studio, they lost power just before she got to put them in order.
Speaker 3: That's a very good TV producer with those, and we cannot afford with at the end of the show. So my boss is making a note of this.
Speaker 5: By the way, we've got the receipts for the jets c and the barbecue and they have to go back by five o'clock today.
Speaker 3: Power cup, Power Cup. So what happened next?
Speaker 1: So they said to her, you sit over the side here on your own, don't talk to anyone, and we'll try and get this thick. So for forty minutes she got to sit there and stare at the prize, has been calculating her head would be so when they began rolling again, she stepped up and within thirty seconds put them all in the right order and walked away with the car, the holiday, the marine, the golf club, the whole brilliant.
Speaker 3: Wow, this is incredible. She won the whole lot, absolutely everything. Amazing story, Phil, Thank you very much for showing it today. Thanks to Colling the show.
Speaker 2: Everyone you're listening to the question O Kyle's show podcast.
Speaker 4: Jack has got the start of it's either got PINKAI or a black eye.
Speaker 5: I have a blinky in the right eye because Gordy got me right in the eye yesterday. He doesn't know how to piggyback properly, so he that hangs from my hoodie if I'm wearing one.
Speaker 3: I was just choking you redneckd choking the UFC.
Speaker 5: Like he's trying to do a chin up on the back of my jump bar or if I go, because that then starts to choke me. So I sort of hoist him up and then he goes hands and arms right around the head to the front of the face and like looks for any nose or a bit of facial features.
Speaker 3: It's quite the cool workout for you, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Yesterday last night you got me right in the eye and then you have I can't. I can't just you know, I'm still supporting his weight, so I can't just drop him to the floor. I have to find some way to place him down one I can't see.
Speaker 4: He actually looks really sad when he scratched your corner or something.
Speaker 5: For half an hour last night.
Speaker 6: You might need to get it checked out. That happened to Chris once he went in to give Ords a kiss good night, and she like put her arm up accidentally, and he had what they call trauma to the corneer where it's actually.
Speaker 4: Like Cyprus Hill song, insane in the membrane to the corner.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't want trauma to make Cornyer Jack.
Speaker 4: She had obviously seen her mum do that a couple of times. Accidentally did that, Chris.
Speaker 5: One of these.
Speaker 4: I remember one of the kids when they were like really young and didn't really understand about the workings of a man. And Lois, my younger daughter, came in right and I sort of squared off of like a cratis stance for a joke, and she sort of came in faking me, tricking me, she was coming in for a hug, and then just wound up and actual upper cut to balls.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I still can't even laugh about this that because it actually makes me want to be sick. Because now I dropped. There's no other response. I don't care how tough you are, there's some of that happens to me, and I don't even understand it. It will fell any man of even in the UFC, they're allowed ten minutes to recover for an accidental an accidental ball tap?
Speaker 3: Is that deadly right?
Speaker 4: They can kick each other in the head, but then stand, look, an accidental ball tap, you need least ten minutes, professional fighter to recover. I dropped the floor. Then obviously my wife and the kids were laughing. They going get up, Daddy, get up. I was like, it's hard to explain, and I couldn't be crude because they were just little kids.
Speaker 5: But when you've been hit, oh my god, no laughing matter.
Speaker 3: You actually go ice cold. You think you're going to faint. All sick of mothers. I've given birth to two kids.
Speaker 4: Get up, Chris, it's difficult. I think there's a concentration of nerve endings there, just a taple we should uppercut to the balls.
Speaker 3: I actually start saying you can kill a man doing that?
Speaker 5: You probably could.
Speaker 3: I think you actually can. I do believe.
Speaker 4: I believe there are people buried today who got uppercuts the balls probably what it says in the two Stone.
Speaker 8: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank You very Much for a Gentleman is called in.
Speaker 4: Also a fellow suffer of an attack to the uh Mid region from man and an EMU double kicked him. I don't even know what what does he mean? A flying sort of a.
Speaker 3: Horsey? How is he alive? It would be the worst state than Christian Petraga.
Speaker 13: A double barrel kick. Buy a horse into the groin, said both legs.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you come back from that.
Speaker 13: He said it was the size of an e mus egg.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Just intern to visionized that big. I've never seen any of news eggs like a Sharon just a little bit more way bigger than normal, normal, waker than a normal egg. Catherine, that's cool on the show, And what did your what did you kid do to you? Catherine?
Speaker 11: So, my daughter broke my ribs?
Speaker 3: Bloody? How did she do that?
Speaker 11: We were in a playground and I was just standing there, leaning on one of those round poles that holds up the equipment, and she came in for a hug but pinned my arms by my side, and because I was leaning on a round pole, I just started to tilt and I couldn't move my aunts and I couldn't stop the fall and I hit the side of the playground and yeah, that hurt.
Speaker 3: God, that must have been so much pain. Did you know? Why have you done your ribs?
Speaker 11: You know straight away when you're breaking a rib.
Speaker 3: Katherine, Thank you very much your story.
Speaker 8: Bye, Craig.
Speaker 3: I'm good, Craig. So, how did your kid injure you?
Speaker 12: I was actually my nephew of letting them pretend to cut my hair, but he actually was cutting my hair with scissors and he lips the top of my ear off.
Speaker 3: YEA, somehow culpable. What a great uncle you must be, Uncle Craig. Thank you very much. Cool and I'm going to show him.
Speaker 14: So my daughter id got one of those cheap makeup kids for kids for birthday one year and she was sort of not really dabbing the makeup onto me with the brush. She was more like a stab So that was torture in itself. But then she she managed to stab one of those sort of bristly brushes into my eyes the hospital, so I can definitely relate to Jack's pain. I ended up the I near hospital, so I had a massive corner libration to my eye from this sort of bristly makeup brush that she was. She was literally stabbing the makeup brost me and I actually suffered for quite a few years after that. A corney libration can keep reoccurring after She was sort of like a bit of a scab on my eye, So every time I went to sleep at night and I'd opened my eye in the morning, it was like ripping the scabop it was. It was great listen.
Speaker 3: As a terrible store.
Speaker 4: We don't need to know about the real after path of a Corney elebration and the scapping of the eye.
Speaker 8: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Let's get into this two weeks to Golden Year.
Speaker 4: This as we go back to a year, I took about what happened in that year, and then we played a game called the One Second Winner. We test Jack and Pats and you guys. None of all the big hits of that year. Today, it's all about nineteen eighty four, nineteen eighty four, some big news stories. In nineteen eighty four, Advance Australia Fair became the national anthem, replacing God Save the Queen. When I was having to learn all this stuff for my citizenship test, I did. I had no idea that God Said the Queen was the national anthem for quite while in this country.
Speaker 6: I remember we saying it, but I actually didn't know myself that that was the national We just sung both.
Speaker 5: It was a great song.
Speaker 3: It's a banger. It's more than that anthems. It is a banger, isn't it.
Speaker 4: We keep saying it's always going to be known as God Save the Queen, isn't it just by it now? And obviously God saved the King. But I wonder if people stalled, no one's ever going to start to say God Save the King.
Speaker 5: And was this an existing song in Australia, Advance Australia Fair, or did they write it in nineteen eighty four?
Speaker 6: It was existing.
Speaker 4: I think it's from the eighteen hundreds written by a Scottish guy. Again, I felt like I'm doing my citizens ship test. It was a Scottish guy in the eighteen hundreds, real, what have you got there?
Speaker 3: What's what's Google saying yes you're right?
Speaker 13: Eighteen hundred, eighteen seventy eight. It was written and composed by Peter Dodds McCormick.
Speaker 3: What a great Scottish name that is not an Australian name, that is one hundred percent of Scotsman. What a great name. Other things.
Speaker 4: In nineteen eighty four, a jar of vegamite was the first product in Australia to be electronically scanned at the checkout. Imember and scanning first thing, and it was like over in the UK, it was a different thing for us. Probably would have been a can of beer, but it was like a really big thing. Do you remember Pats was at the Future about scanning at the checkout?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I can remember going shopping with mum and they had the you know, the individually pressed h K two dollars thirteen and then the big one and it.
Speaker 4: Goes when you and your mum smashing the machines, Devil machines, devil machines, the Luodyes machines.
Speaker 5: So did they have barcodes before that or did they invent the barcode for the skin.
Speaker 6: Everything was individually scanned with priced with stickers.
Speaker 4: It used to take ages, right And when I first had a supermarket job, when I was like sixteen, I look.
Speaker 3: Back now, how people with that patient.
Speaker 4: No one would put up for it now because we're so impatient now and entitled, but everyone would just I just remember on a Saturday when I had this in this big supermarket in the UK, and it was like it was like Q's and Q's. It would take ages, and then you have to go and ring your supervisor if it didn't have a little sticker on it, so you just sometimes you would just have to in the early days pass Jim that everything had a price tag. Yeah, imad one of these guns, and you'd have to go around adjusting it like a combination of a safe, press the thing and stick every item in any shop and then the person would have to read that put it into the till.
Speaker 3: Used to take freeping ages.
Speaker 6: But you had you had the boy at the end of the till that would pack your groceries and carry them out to the car for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I forget all these people have gone. Now we do everything ourselves, scanning ourselves, pay ourselves.
Speaker 4: There's still sometimes occasionally you see a more mature person doing it makes me feel I direct because they now employ older people there, and I always think, could that be me in twenty years?
Speaker 3: So now this is going. Didn't you used to be on there? Just forget it?
Speaker 4: They just down all right, back to nineteen eighty four. Tetris was born in nineteen eighty four. It's love playing Tetris.
Speaker 3: Do you have Tetris? Jack?
Speaker 4: Yep, Yeah, loved it. Tetris was born thirty years on. It's still the highest selling electron game in history. Over half a billion copies. I don't think they copies have been sold. Of that, five hundred million have been sold. Russian cosmonaut Alexander Sumaroff brought his Nintendo game Boar with Tetras onto his one hundred and ninety six day mission in the International Space Station. All right, nineteen eighty four good movies for years for movies, IMDb named it the second best year for movies ever in the history of Hollywood. Nineteen eighty two is apparently the peak year. Nineteen eighty four is at number two. Listen to list Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom, The Karate Kids, Gremlins, Police Academy, Footloose, Spinal Tap, Beverly Hills Cop. This is all just in one year Romancing the Stone, but the biggest movie of the year in nineteen eighty four was Ghostbusters. This is still a funny movie as well. The original Ghostbusters is still a great movie, made four hundred million of the box office. Do you remember going to see at the cinema, Pats, I do, laughing so hard.
Speaker 6: I went and saw the fire engine or you know, the fire station. When we're in New York, you can go and visit it where they filmed it.
Speaker 4: Sylvester Stallone, I love this factor as well. From nineteen eighty four, syl Vester Stallone was supposed to be in Beverly Hills Cop but quit two weeks before shooting.
Speaker 3: And what I'm I about to say, No way this story happened.
Speaker 4: By the way, Rio loves to cut and paint these from Reddit or someone without even thinking could that actually happen? Sylvester Stallone was supposed to be in Beverly Hills Cop but quit two weeks before shooting after in a dispute over the type of.
Speaker 3: Orange juice in his trailer.
Speaker 4: Eddie Murphy was supposed to be in Ghostbusters, but then chose to do Beverly Hills cop when the opportunity what there was like a LinkedIn for movies now hiring. Oh I just leave this set and this multi million dollar contract and go and do it. I just fancy doing that movie more. Beverly Hill's contd have been a Ghostbusters. All right, we're going to go back to eighty four on the Big Hits.
Speaker 3: Next, Carl a brighter.
Speaker 8: You're listening to the Christian O Carl Show podcast.
Speaker 4: All right, one second winner nineteen eighty four, you still read? Yes, excellent, Jackie ready, Yes, all right, contenders already, Let's play one second of big songs from nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: Who's this?
Speaker 5: Oh like a hurricane? Something like a hurricane?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, rock you like a hurricane? The band?
Speaker 5: Oh then Helen Scorpion.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right there, all right, nineteen eighty four, who sung this?
Speaker 6: Oh ninety nine let balloonse You've got.
Speaker 3: It personal Nina Slower one old at the moment, who sung this? Nineteen eighty four Big House.
Speaker 6: Song, Oh she wears her sunglasses at night? And who sung that? I can't remember?
Speaker 4: Surname is a major organ in the human body.
Speaker 3: Dan Heart, no bladder.
Speaker 4: I wanted to be a detective show called bladder Heart.
Speaker 3: You need bladder.
Speaker 10: Heart while you coll.
Speaker 3: I always found this song creeping. Really, there's something I'm setting discombobulating about the melody and the idea of the sunglasses at night. A k h Stalker. This is all gold though.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, it's Kenny and it's Dolly and it's islands in the street.
Speaker 3: Yes, put them all together. You've got the hunt. Two one to Patsy. Who's this?
Speaker 6: Oh she's got legs and what's his name?
Speaker 3: You've got it? Got it? Half assist there from Jack? All right? Two left everything to play for Jack.
Speaker 6: Thriller, Michael Jacks, you are on. Everyone knows that it's everyone on you as well.
Speaker 3: Boff Mold on the.
Speaker 4: Radio, Drugger, Hobo Win Christian and play more.
Speaker 5: All right, My confidence is right down.
Speaker 4: I'll just let you no, come on, you can do this. This is a common song on this station.
Speaker 6: Three Private Dancer Tina Turner, No, it's not.
Speaker 5: What's love got to do with it?
Speaker 3: Wow, you've got this. Don't do that's perats nizing. Why are you going pat him on the head? All right? Yeah, but not like that even looked around.
Speaker 4: He didn't want to look at you because it was around You're not though perhaps was the best, you're the second best around for you.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, I saw something that I've not seen since I moved to Australia, Melbourne, and it's there were sheriffs that like a van. Well it was like an a ficch hook and it wasn't just like a higher van and stuff like that they're chucking people at the bat. But it was a van that said sheriffs, yes, all over it. Right, what do the sheriffs do? I've never seen the sheriffs before.
Speaker 5: The sheriff will be coming for you. Actually, why you know? You did had that parking fine and that flew off into the breeze.
Speaker 4: Yeah that I have good intentions to pay, but it flew off.
Speaker 5: My understanding is that if you when you don't pay a fine, it's the sheriff they send around to take up from your house to pay the fine.
Speaker 6: They have they have jurisdic I.
Speaker 3: Can't have them taken away my Springsteen album, that new album.
Speaker 5: Then you oven that you have the four D heat putting that out, is that right?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 6: And they can will clamp your car tires as well. Sometimes you're see in supermarket car parks people who may not have paid their rego or something will have heaps and heaps of fines. They can clamp your wheels so you can't drive your car.
Speaker 3: So the sheriffs are dealing with collecting money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're like, yeah, loan sharks, is that what you call?
Speaker 4: No, they're not loan sharks.
Speaker 6: Of the state, just for people with you know, unpaid fines and stuff wrapped up keeps and heaps of.
Speaker 5: If they're knocking on your door, it means that you've let it. Maybe first they'll send you a fine, then they'll send you another one to say you haven't paid the fine, and then the sheriff's knocking on the door.
Speaker 3: Shame they don't have a sheriff's batch.
Speaker 5: Wait, maybe they do. I've never seen these.
Speaker 4: Too having a chat, right, And I didn't see any sheriff's badges.
Speaker 3: Also, they got the same powers as the police.
Speaker 6: No, not entirely, so, say I.
Speaker 3: Say you know what, you can't have my oven or any of my vinyl to pay that fine.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like it today. Come back in a couple of weeks time. I like, I've just been paid. I've had two weeks from payday. Can I can I just close the door and go I don't want to pay.
Speaker 5: Then the sheriff will chuck you on the back of the horse. You'll do that thing where they tie your feet in row.
Speaker 8: Take Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 4: It's just another misshard Christian O'Connell's miss herd lyrics.
Speaker 3: All right, miss her lyrics every Monday on the show.
Speaker 4: You email me as soon as you miss hear them, Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot au. When we're playing back, you'll miss her lyrics. If we agree with what you think you're miss hearing, you will hear if we don't hear it. And for the great ones, this hall of favor all right? Recent hall of Famer from listener carry Calvin Harrison, Sam Smith desire you take my eye out, you take me I out? All right, Let's get into brand new ones. Cocoa Betty Davis Eyes from King Kyn's all the better just to please you? Or is it hog the bathtub just to please you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ondred, well done, Coco. Tim Hook's got this from Paul Young. Come back and stay, come back and please hurry, or is it come back please Curry? Yeah, yeah, guess curry. Take my breath by the weekend. This is from Mayer. Take my breath away and make it it last forever?
Speaker 3: Babe?
Speaker 10: Take more black.
Speaker 4: So that kind of music is so sickly and auto tune? Is it makes me slightly nauseous? There's like too much cheese?
Speaker 3: Or is it take my breath away and make it mozzarella? Babe? Take back Digger tooking the cheese? There it is, but yes, well spotted Mayer. Leon's got this. This is Australia. We watched a lightning crack over cane fields?
Speaker 4: Or are they watching someone else? Are they watching the Lion King crack over the cane fields? Bab Phil Hart has got George Michael freedom original line what a kick just a buddy and me? Or is George singing what I'd give just a butter your meat? We are as I said every week? Just the messengers here you mis hear it, I play it. That's the that's the exchange here.
Speaker 3: Why i'd give just a buddy your meat. Yeah, Phil, all right, that's your misheard limits.
Speaker 4: So this week has always emailed Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com, Dodau.
Speaker 8: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Today we're looking for your furniture bands because today is thank a.
Speaker 4: Cabinet Maker Day. Thank you, Thank you cabinet makers and carpenters. A clinical study by UCLA found the forty one percent of couples that shop at Ikea, no surprise, have a fight there. The researchers have found that the layout was perfectly set up to become map of a relationship nightmare. Walking through the kitchen brings up touchy subjects like who does most of the cooking. Then you get to the children's section, which opens up a whole other can of worms. Researchers suggested it's a nice idea to alleviate instore ike attention to create an incentive for good behavior.
Speaker 3: My wife does this with me. She'll go, you don't forget, you can have those meatballs at the end. It's what you could win. I just need you to help me to pick out some new mugs.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I get the meatballs.
Speaker 3: Thank you, mummy. Nice sit in the trolley. He actually says, oh, just wait on.
Speaker 4: For example, if you manage to make it to the checkout without arguing, you get it, you can have some of the meatballs in the cafeteria.
Speaker 3: All right. We're looking for furniture bands today. Furniture bands. Who's on stage at furniture fairs?
Speaker 5: Who's there?
Speaker 4: Panic at the desco? Gold stolen the gang gold.
Speaker 11: Ah.
Speaker 3: The four tops were a legendary motown down by the way. Four countertops.
Speaker 5: They're all up there, silver.
Speaker 3: Fall out toy chest to fall.
Speaker 4: Out toy toys and I'm all right. Cabinet makers and daft bunk bed well, they're going to just fall apart.
Speaker 3: Guys take their helmets off and make the bunk beds gold meatballs for you. You're a very good boy, Jack. What have you got?
Speaker 4: Furniture bands? Chero Smith, that's good, simple but effective. It's a gold sideboard and garfuncle. If you say it fast enough.
Speaker 3: It is close. It's close silver plus. Anyone who can get a good sideboard winsur prize today.
Speaker 5: Creating's clear Water Recliner bronze, talking beds obvious. This one's obvious to the beach chair boys.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on, you've gotta sweat a bit. Come on, my friend, no leftovers.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Jack, you're ready to mark, Let's do it all right, Sofa Ellis Baxter Gold, Oh what, I'm Michael ed chairing Jason, that's great.
Speaker 4: Thirty seconds to chairs, Silva, Natalie Bassinett Gold, I'm Phil Divan, Devan Sojoranduranne Gold very good, Danny a c deck chair, Silva, no bed Zeppelin Silver, Navanish Gold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's smart, that's smart. Angular a little toy box twenty bronze. It's not Shakira.
Speaker 5: Who is it?
Speaker 3: I gotta get the pronunciation. I'm going to try Sarah m hm. It's Shakia.
Speaker 5: Oh Sha Shakia, shak Shakia.
Speaker 15: Poof Daddy, put your feet on him, Poof Daddy Gold, Courtney Love Seat Silver, Green, Bee Day Gold, three draws down, Jim very good.
Speaker 4: That is so good. Three draws down our first draw mention as well. One and Jim very good. High quality.
Speaker 3: You two seater, it's just a you two seater Silver, A nice.
Speaker 4: One will Ossie Ottoman, Bronze Divan, Halen, Silva, t Anthony Panchair h.
Speaker 3: Have you Terra, that's very good, pan Chera.
Speaker 4: Twice Ottoman reading Silva, Fleetwood, flat pack, Silver, Queen Sizes, bed Gold.
Speaker 3: Leonard sideboard. I'm very happy and radio BedHead. Yeah all right? Who's best in shows?
Speaker 5: Some great ones there, well under gym for three draws down.
Speaker 3: Yeah right winner.
Speaker 8: Christian O'Connell's show podcast