Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to the AO Show and another episode of the sit Down. I'm Vic Christi of Australian Tennis Magazine and it's great to be joined by my colleague Mattrolope of oz open dot Com. Great to be chatting tennis with you.
Speaker 2: Again, Matt.
Speaker 3: It's good to be back Viv for the second edition of the sit Down. If listeners didn't hear, last week, we debuted this new podcast stream, which features interviews and in depth chats with people in the tennis industry. We featured an interview that Nick mccavil did with Yanick Sinner during his title run at the Australian Open, which is a really good listen. I'd encourage everyone to go back and check that out. And this week we're back with another interesting guest. Who have we got on this week?
Speaker 1: Today we actually talked to Marta Kostyuk. So Marta caught up with Andrea Petkovich in January at a great time in her.
Speaker 3: Career, Absolutely a great time because she's had an incredible start to twenty twenty four and after this chat she's gone on to continue that form. Got her first top five win in San Diego. She went on to make the semi finals of Indian Wells. She's on the brink of the top twenty five. It's all kind of coming together for her. And what I loved about this chat is that she kind of goes into the weeds of what have been the ingredients behind her rise and how she's gotten to this point and how she's trending in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything is trending out for Marta, really, and let's hear what she has to say.
Speaker 2: Well, don Marta into the quarterfinals for the first time, and what a performance it was. I saw a lot of variety. You want, twenty one out of twenty nine points at the net? Yes, not that at all. Are those the things you worked on in the off season? What are the things you implemented to get to your quarterfinals for the first time at a Grand Slam tournament.
Speaker 4: I don't think there is anything specific that we worked on, you know, like, Okay, let's work on this specific shot. But I think it was just more the you know, I used to have like very chaotic game. You know, I could do a lot of things, but they were never really in the proper order. So I think we've been working more more like having how do I say, it's.
Speaker 2: More structure, Yeah, more.
Speaker 4: Structure, yeah in my game, So yeah, it's you know, it makes me feel more I forgot English. Sorry, it makes a.
Speaker 2: Big day for the first time.
Speaker 4: It makes me feel more like confident on the court, you know, like on important points. I know that I will not just decide something that I've never done in my life. So yeah, I think this is the main work. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice, And you are a very expressive player. I love that. I don't know, I have to know the score. I take a look at you, and I know whether it's going well or whether it's not going well. How do you channel these emotions that you have to play your best tennis?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't like to be very expressive, you know, but there are just you know, sometimes I'm better, but sometimes it's really I wish it would be better. I don't know. I think, like naturally, I'm very emotional person and very open and open minded, and it's not always easy, you know, to be calm and how do they say it, like very stable and like you also, yeah, I just I try to accept myself, you know, because I don't think at certain point it just doesn't make sense to fight yourself, you know, because there are just emotions that are going through my head or through me that I just cannot not express, cannot hide. And yeah, I think I've been spending a lot of energy at times fighting myself being the way I'm not. And yeah, of course I still have to always look for this balance that is not too much. That it doesn't you know, change my game, that it doesn't.
Speaker 2: How do I say it.
Speaker 3: That it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that it doesn't you know, make me play worse in a way. So, but you know we're getting there slowly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to the quarterfinals. Now I'm not sure, but maybe you got married? Yeah I did? Then, yes, there it is, show it off and then you reached the quarterfinals. Should you have gotten married before that? No, No, it does.
Speaker 4: Honestly. It's like I don't feel like it's too early, but you know, I'm very young, and at times I'm like, whoa, I'm only twenty one. If if we were married for ten years, I will be only thirty one, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's like.
Speaker 4: It was a very good decision. You know, I'm very happy, but you know, I don't think I would want to do it efore. Yeah, even earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I hope if anybody has time to check on Instagram, there are beautiful photos of you to congratulations. Another thing I came across your Instagram is I saw you on a surfboard and you had an amazing comment. You said, at least she died doing what she loves. Did you get, of course Australia's beautiful beaches. Did you have time to do some surfing here in Australia or were you too busy winning.
Speaker 4: I didn't do any surfing in Australia and I don't think I will because I'm very scared of the oceans of the water. Yeah. So when we were in surfing in La, there were sting rays. So my husband saw a sting ray and we flew off like from the water. But then we came back because we were like, oh, we will die, but at least we will die doing what we love. And then I tried surfing in Maldives. We were we had our honeymoon there and I almost died, but really I almost died. Yeah, I the waves were bigger than we thought. They were probably like five times bigger than in La, and we just, you know, we just because it was our second time we were too sure of ourselves, you know. And in Maldives there are rocks, so where the wave breaks in the rocks and I couldn't get out of it. So I was hit by a wave twice, like I was right in this curve and yeah, I was out of breath. So I almost died. So then the next day we went surfing again, of course, and I tried again and I managed to get up. But it's very I think it's it's very dangerous. So you have to pick like times and days where when you can do it. But yeah, don't think in Australia. Is a lot of sharks here, and yeah, I'm traumatized from Maldives already.
Speaker 2: So basically what you're saying, if you want to be as successful as Marta Costuok reached the quarter finals, you have to get married and then almost die. Yeah. Perfect, we'll take that. Yes, thank you very much, thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks viv Mana Costjuoc has achieved way more in her life at age twenty one. I'm thirty seven, and I it piles into insignificant. So I just listened to her talk. She's married, she's achieving all this great stuff, she's barely out of university age in Australia. I just think her age is such a staggering element about her rise. It feels like she's been around for such a long time. And then yeah, when she says that, you're kind of like, oh, wow, you're just in your formative years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, I'm not thirty seven. I wish I was thirty seven. I'm a little bit older than that. I wish i'd achieved half of what Marta has achieved. I mean she was only what fourteen when she won the Australian Open Girls title in twenty seventeen. So I think that's partly why we forget that she's still so young, because she did so much so early in her career.
Speaker 3: Remember that year or two when she used to win things and she would backflip because she was doing gymnastics or acrobatics. What if she was doing she'd celebrate like if titles and junior titles with a backflip, and you know it'd be nicely. She brought that back.
Speaker 1: She's so much fun on court, isn't she. I mean I loved listening to her say that she used to have a very chaotic game, and you know she's trying to channel her emotions in a really positive way. And I think she's doing all of those things, but I also think those are are what makes her so fun.
Speaker 3: It struck me when she described her game as chaotic. What a great word to you use in not your native language, but also to me the layman watching her play her game didn't look chaotic like I mean, she was so talented. She had all the shots. I guess maybe at that high level though, where you're discerning and you know you need to play with patterns and the right kind of tactics and things like that, her version before she was doing that was chaotic. But she had all of the ingredients. I guess she just can't kind of put them in the right order. And that's been happening a lot under her coach, Sandro Zanievska.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and she's one of the few players on tour to have a women's coach, and she's talked about how that really works for her, Like she talks about how she communicates, she understands that the way they communicate together, and yeah, it seems to be just a really great package for her.
Speaker 3: I also loved hearing her being interviewed by Andrea Pekovic. She's got a great energy. What an addition to our team. She was into the world feed of the Australian Open as she was doing on court interviews, and she was in the commentary booth and I really enjoyed her insights. It must be really cool for a tennis player to get interviewed by another pro that understands them. I think she helped bring out a lot in costure in that chat.
Speaker 1: I think she really brought out the fun in her I loved Andrea's really cheeky question about marriage and she should should she have got married earlier?
Speaker 3: I thought that was so much fun and showed up. I'm assuming that was a reference to The Ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And yeah I hope that everyone did check out the Instagram photos because of her wedding because they are stunning and she you know, she had her dress designed by Wilson.
Speaker 3: And a Cypress location. I think, yeah, my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, what a few months that she's had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: We'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down. In the meantime, John on the Team return on Thursday with the AO Show Weekly.
Speaker 3: You can find all the details for how to contact us in the show notes below, and as always, please subscribe, rate and review. See you next week to do it all again.