Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian o'connells Show podcast.
Speaker 2: I was walking with my dogs and my wife over the weekend where we're down in red Hill, and some old timers said to me, you need to be careful with that little dog. Around here we have wedge tailed eagles and I don't care if an eagle wants to come down sweep away with this lit of the yappy dog. I don't particularly care of him, but my wife.
Speaker 3: Loves this dog.
Speaker 2: If it was a choice between the eagle flying off with me and that little dog, she's handing me over going. He's had a good life. He's had a good life. Save my dog. Please, he's a little toy poodle. Even the name toy it doesn't even sound like a dog's name. So anyway, I want to know about what you knew about these wedge tailed eagles. Do they really fly away with small dogs? And there was even rumors of small kangaroos joeyes, and that they.
Speaker 3: Come down and sweep on.
Speaker 2: Did you know that the Australian wedgetailed eagle is the fifth biggest eagle in the world two point eight meters the wings.
Speaker 3: That is massive.
Speaker 2: The bald eagle is at number four, white tailed eagle in Russia, number three, at number two the harpy eagle, and at number one.
Speaker 3: Of course it's Russian. It's the stellar's see eagle.
Speaker 2: However, the wedge tailed eagle here in Australia is the only eagle in the world knowing to attack bloody ol hang gliders, paragliders and drones. It can fly up to is that right? Eighteen hundred meters that's over a mild as high as over a mile.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 4: But they did get up.
Speaker 1: Heart.
Speaker 3: Their love is eternal. Do you know this?
Speaker 2: Once they find a mate, the wedge tailed eagle, they stay together. Wedge tailed eagles in the news last year here in Victoria, a wedgetail eagle dropped her puppy into a woman's backyard. She decided to adopt him, only to realize as he got old, it wasn't actually a dog but a dingo.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, mate, you gotta go. You should have said you knew down with you should have said something. Now.
Speaker 2: Wonder that those wedgetailed eagles they're fussy eaters.
Speaker 3: The bloody Oh it's chew it's a dingo. Put it down anywhere.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty one in Gimping, Queensland had become overrun with wedgetailed eagles. Local Chris, you could tell this has been cut and pace for my new story. Local Chris hawd is pet duck Darryl Queensland pet duck Darryl taken from his pond, as well as two chucks and three guinea found in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Imagine this.
Speaker 2: A crowd of stunned onlookers watched an enormous wedgetail eagle attempt to fly.
Speaker 3: Away with a young boy.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I had a popular wildlife show in Central Australia. The bird finally released the boy and he escaped unscathed.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So is that a wild eagle or is he part of the wildlife show? Because then shame on the gardlers.
Speaker 2: No no, no, not shame. I'm tipping. If that happens, it can be your kids. They do this every day at one twenty by the bar.
Speaker 3: Pay a bit more to feed the animals, play it a bit more again.
Speaker 2: It's like a monorail round around the park. Twenty eighteen, a chihuahua got attacks by a wedgetailed eagle in Kinglake. The owner heard the bushes rustling and found the eagle had a puppy mash just scared away and save the dog.
Speaker 3: All right. The thing I want to know is are there a lot of these just tall stories? Has anyone got any eyewitness accounts? Right?
Speaker 2: I want to hear them this morning. Not a friend of mine says, this happened to you with your own eyes. You saw this nine four one four one oh four three eyewitness reports of the danger the peril of the wedge tailed eagle.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Wedgetailed Eagles was warned how dangerous they can be.
Speaker 3: At the weekend.
Speaker 2: They could fly off with the small, annoying, yappy dog that my wife has. I mean, I suppose I have him as well as I could step dog to me. I don't accept him. I have a proper dog, which is a German shep. But they ain't taken that thing away. Trust me, they won't pick that fight. It was like, well, we're reverse guys, reverse Can we can we reverse this? Eagles? I'm not sure do one eighty? Whatever we do, go back up, come back down for the little yappy dog. Jack, what have you found about the wedge tailed eagles?
Speaker 4: The West Coast eagles have a real life wedge tail eagle as a mascot that flies around Optus oval before a game does.
Speaker 3: It, and I thought, what am I doing?
Speaker 4: Stunts or just he just goes for a fly to entertain the crown. A few years ago.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've been out that way.
Speaker 2: They're easily entertained, aren't they with a little bird show before a game.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty one, he was at doing it at a match and they couldn't get him back, so he just went up and purchased in the stands and he wouldn't come down.
Speaker 2: A Christian, we recently had an eagle incident that comes from Marlene my husband. Christian has always been a sucker for anything free. What if our neighbors not to a door one day't ask him if you want a free rooster? And of course my husband said, I would say, no, nest, you've got got like the equipment for them. Well, you know, one lone rooster in your back, then you're like five a m.
Speaker 4: But that word free is hard to say no to.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's a rooster under a guy's arm. Anyway, one day there was the.
Speaker 2: Terrible clocking noises and we also had hens as well. Everyone was starting panicking and running for cover. There was a swoop of wings and nothing but feathers left us. A local eagle carried the rooster off.
Speaker 3: Sorry to hear that many.
Speaker 4: We don't know if you died. I think it could have just been placed down at another person's house and happy ending.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're in the sort of removal in the street. Okay, they don't just put them in their nest to make them work for them. It's like eagle slaves or something. Good morning, Christian. We live on ten acres and the Yarrow Valley. We have a creek where two wedge tailed eagles hang out in the trees and are often seeing flying over us, intimidating us every day.
Speaker 4: I mean, being swooped by magpie is one thing.
Speaker 2: To Apparently, they hunt in pairs really well. They made for life and then they mister and missus up there. My husband and I were sitting outside the shed one night, very vulnerable, very vulnerable. They take the shed as well, you know, bit by bit they take the roof.
Speaker 3: First of all.
Speaker 2: Another day they come before the side. Anyway, we were sitting out the side the shed one night there was a large amount of white cockatoos flying around.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: When I was coming next, suddenly there was screeching as they saw down.
Speaker 3: Christianing on, let me get the sound effects. No, sounds like a duck. There you go. There it is screeching loudly Christian.
Speaker 2: Then we see wedge tailed eagles, not one, but two flying through the air.
Speaker 3: They're grabbing them.
Speaker 2: They tried to fly away with a fox as well.
Speaker 3: The Christian.
Speaker 2: I heard you talking about this the other day, and you said that maybe can you buy weighted vests for small talks.
Speaker 4: So when the eagle comes down and goes, oh, this is heavy.
Speaker 3: The bigger lad that he looks, isn't he this one?
Speaker 2: He must be heavy boned, This little toy poodle and she sent me some phone to us here of this jacket you can wear from sexy Land or something sexy much so there's some sort of s and M play.
Speaker 3: He's got like stups coming at the top of.
Speaker 4: The idol might wear on his shoulders.
Speaker 2: We've got Tim on the line, who's got an eye witness report of wedge tailed eagle attacking him.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Tim, welcome to show.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you very much guy, it's great to be here, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So Tim, what can you tell us about a wedge tailed eagle? First hand account?
Speaker 1: Okay, so if you're a paragliding pilot, you will come into contact with these. And I've had two contacts with eagles. One's a sea eagle and I've got some nice footage of one following me with The day that the wed teel hit me, I didn't hear a thing. I just heard a bit of a bang. I could feel a ripple through the lines, and I just looked up and looked across and thought what is going on? And I could see a big, dark, ominous shadow just on the back of my wing, and I can hear the pinging where it's got its talons into my wing. It's actually ripped a couple of pieces.
Speaker 3: Out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Once I figured out what it was, I dumped out of the air and landed landed at Lake George. So that's out in your camera way.
Speaker 3: How do you dom palell? Yeah? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: I will see when you When you fly in a paraglider, you fly on a lift band where the wind is coming up a ridge, so you could fly along there. So as soon as you hit me, I come off the lift band and I plummet gl glit off and then landed a distance away from the from the cliff face that you know you're flying the long and I was about, you know, two hundred meters away from where I got hit and just landed safely at Lake George.
Speaker 3: Incredible stuff. How long are you up there in a paraglide, by the way there for an hour or so.
Speaker 1: It bends. The longest I've been up was three hours and only had to come out of the water, I mean out of the sky to go to the toilet.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean I've got to see. It was me. I just get out that little seed bag.
Speaker 1: You just.
Speaker 3: Walk around that it's been done.
Speaker 1: It's been done. Take condoms and use those. And then just about the.
Speaker 3: High cuve son ambitious. You've been attacked by eagles.
Speaker 1: Hurry up, well, least get something throwed an eagles.
Speaker 3: Christian know Connell's show podcasts