Speaker 1: Good Apeter, Helly here, welcome to you. We ain't seen nothing yet. The movie podcast where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. Today's guest broadcaster Georgie Tunney.
Speaker 2: Ever dance with the devil on the bell light.
Speaker 3: I'm walking here, I'm walking a heare.
Speaker 2: Of all the gin joints and all the towns in all the world.
Speaker 1: She walks into mind what happening right now?
Speaker 4: You don't see nothing here.
Speaker 1: When it comes to news, Georgie Tunney is a triple threat. She can do everything from delivering the news, sport and even the weather. Yes, Georgie has covered everything from bushfires to malaise. I feel though it is sport where George's true passion lies. A passionate Queenslander, particularly come origent time, Georgie presents with warmth and intelligence and quite simply she just knows her stuff. And I say that referring to sport, but equally she knows how the TV landscape works too. She was an EP on the avc's Offside this summer series. George's appearances on the project have thankfully become more regular and We love having her hang with us, and I'm bloody stoked that have Georgie Tunney hanging with me today.
Speaker 5: Hey there, I'm Georgie Tunney and my three favorite films Baz Lemon's Romeo and Juliet My Heart's.
Speaker 6: Your Love is set on the fair daughter of rich Gabulamba.
Speaker 5: La La land Real. What's the word I'm looking for? Nathan Shaning, Tom Weirdo and Gladiator.
Speaker 1: You know, Dad cleans off a lot easier than blood.
Speaker 5: Cleaners, and as of forty eight hours ago, I had never seen planes, trains and automobiles.
Speaker 1: Yes, all Neil Paige Steve Martin wants is to get out of New York and home to his family for Thanksgiving. But as John Lennon saying, life is what happens when you're busy making other plans, Neil should have known it wasn't his day when he left his gloves behind in the office in his rush to get to the airport to catch the six o'clock flight out. He should definitely have had a sinking feeling when Kevin Bacon beat him to his cab, and then when shower curtain rings, salesman Dell Griffith, John Candy, in his best ever screen performance, outright stole his taxi. He really should have given up there and then. But this is only the beginning of Neil's hellish forty eight hours, as he gets lumped with this chatterbox stranger, a roommate from hell who may just be the kindest man Neil will ever meet. Writer director John Hughes hits it out of the park in this nineteen eighty six classic. It's a pitch perfect comedy that moves from one set piece to the next without any of them ever feeling shoehorned, hilarious, melancholic, and with the heart the size of John Candy himself. Planes Trains and Automobiles is my favorite comedy of all time. No pressure, Georgie Tummy.
Speaker 5: I was just as it's going on, I was like, oh wow, this is I can't say anything bad about.
Speaker 1: This, No, you can. All your honest thoughts appreciated and are valued.
Speaker 5: Excellent, excellent, But.
Speaker 1: Saying what you thought of the movie? Did you?
Speaker 2: Were you?
Speaker 1: How aware of this movie? Were you not at all?
Speaker 5: And I think what I found out pretty quickly while watching it is that I had always got planes, trains and Automobiles confused with train spotting, and I was like, I am in for a treat. So when you were like have you ever seen that? I was like no, it's like can you watch it? I was like, oh, am I in the headspace? I don't know? And then it started and I was like, oh, oh, step Mom's in this. Oh these people look healthy, they look happy, you know, a bit stressed about travel. But I've misjudged this film.
Speaker 1: John Katt is quite quite beefy for a heroin addicte.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's doing he's doing well. He's doing well, you know, And I thought, oh, this is an interesting take for treatment for this problem.
Speaker 1: It is one of these films that I know a lot of people, a lot of comedians, I know a lot of the people who are you know in my life who just see this as one of their favorite comedies of all time. But for the amount of people who do rate it as highly as they do, there are so many people he doesn't. He hasn't had the life that you know, maybe a Ferris Bueller's day off has had, or he doesn't leave in that kind of realm. I don't think.
Speaker 5: Reason well, I think as well. I mean, I love Steve Martin like I've always loved him because growing up, I loved the film Cheaper by the Doesn't and I would watch that like weekly pretty much, and I loved him. I thought he was amazing Father of the Bride, et cetera, et cetera. But I think this was the film that I really started to appreciate, maybe because I'm a bit older and I was looking out for it. But the slapstick, physical humor that he can bring to a role which I never had actually, you know, put to him before. And I'm not sure if that was that's something you know better than me, where like Steve Martin is like no, no, no, he's known for that, but it's just in his reactions, especially dealing with Dell John Candy in the film, and the frustration and just having that bubble over into every single gesture he does when he's just so flabbergasted that you just can't form words so your body is just like shaken about being like, oh my gosh, there's a representation. I found that incredibly relatable yep, but also hilarious. Yes, And I hadn't and I don't think I had any idea that that's what I was in for because even when it first started, it did I thought that Kevin Bacon was going to be a main main character because I was like, it started and Steve Martin's racing for a cab. He's got to get to the airport and he's racing for a cab, and then another guy starts racing for the cab with him in New York, and I was like, is that Kevin Bacon. Oh my god, Bacon. Can't wait to see what he does in this film. That was it. That was it. That was the only part of the film that he's in.
Speaker 1: An interesting tipbit which I was going to do like run, but I do it now because you mentioned Kevin Bacon. Is that he So he was making another John Hughes movie around that time. John Hughes is prolific, you know, obviously, so for those who don't know, made the Home Alone movies, but also Breakfast Club six and Candles I Science.
Speaker 5: I found that after I because I did do a little bit of research about John Hughes after this, and I knew his name. I didn't I wasn't aware that he was behind Home Alone. But having seen planes, trains and automobiles, now it seems like the perfect precursor to that. And I can totally get it because there were moments where they're like racing to the airport. Got to get to the airport. It's chaos that I was like, Oh, I'm just waiting for buddy Catherine Ahara to come and.
Speaker 4: Be like Kevin.
Speaker 1: And the house is almost identical and actually physically is only a few blocks away from the house, So the pages and the Michella's has probably spent Christmases together.
Speaker 5: That makes so much sense, That makes so much.
Speaker 1: Or Neil, so let's come back. So I wanted the point abou Kevin Bacon was he was making a film, a John Hughes movie called She's Having a Baby, perhaps not one of his bigger films, but then so he just said, what are you doing next? And if it's any role, I'm happy. Even if it's I'll be an extra if you want me to know, just whatever, and he said, okay, this is one role. And another little intersting fact about that is when when Nil's wife is watching TV in bed, she's waiting up for the phone call for him to get home, she's actually watching She's having a Baby. Oh really, that's the movie.
Speaker 5: Playing love that that's an easter egg that I a lovely appreciate.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's talk about your three favorite films. They are great films and I've seen every single one of them. Let's say the best. Lemon's Romeo and Juliet.
Speaker 5: So this film I saw, I remember it so clearly. I only got to see the first ten minutes. It was year ten English class. I'd never seen it before. We were studying Romeo and Juliet, and my English teacher, mister Robinson, shout out to him because he actually did have probably in the end a profound impact on my life because we were studying Romeo and Juliet, and he was very very clear that he never wanted plays to be read. Plays were meant to be performed, so there was no point in us reading through the scripts. We had to be watching the play itself. And then he introduced us to bas Lehrman's take on Romeo and Juliet, and I just remember the first thing, you know, I bite my thumb at you, I bite my thumb at Usa, and it's like they're in drag cars, and it was like is this fast and the furious? What is happening? And the colors were just insane, and I thought it was just one of the most beautiful films, and I was so captured by the soundtrack. And it's actually this film that made me want to study film.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: So then when I went to UNI, I've got a journalism degree and an arts degree, and in arts I studied film and TV. And it was this film that made me want to do that, because I'd always had an interest in it, but it was just something about how they'd modernized it. It still made complete sense. Was I in love with Leonardo DiCaprio. Probably that may have had an influence, but it was just you know, the pool scene, the lift scene, Desira sing and kissing, you like the scene radio I still remember a radio head song talk show host when you first are introduced to Romeo Leo and it's black and white and he's just like smoking, walking in slow motion about a theater, like an abandoned theater. And I just thought the motifs and stuff that Baz had sort of put out there were incredible. I mean, there was something about it. I've watched it so many times since, but there was something about it that even at fifteen, I saw fifteen minutes in an English class that I was like, what is this movie? I need to see it all and I just to this day love it. Would never turn it off.
Speaker 1: I remember when it came out, it was it was something in the same way Tarantino was like a breath of fresh air, and like, wow, we haven't seen this before. Bas Lehman, you know, people forget like Sheley Borman. It was a fun movie. And then he does know Romeo and Juliet and it's like, whoa, this is something we've never seen before. That now I feel like that's influenced either influence or maybe Bas has got in first the idea of taking something and modernizing it, you know, in cinema, and and I might be wrong, maybe Bes has taken them from somewhere else, maybe it has been done before, but it just felt extremely fresh. And you're right, the music choices were so kind of eclectic but fitted perfectly.
Speaker 5: And that was the thing I think that stayed with me. It was the haunting perfection of the song choices. And I don't remember a movie or a soundtrack of a movie other than my third film, which we'll get to, but having that much of an impact on me where it wasn't just the score. It was, you know, songs with lyrics, and the way that he used them and moved them and in and out of the story actually progressed the story. And it was like it was very very clear that he had a path for those songs to have an impact on the scene that was going on as well. And I mean the performance is to Claire days. I was in love with her, in love with Leo, like love them all, Macucio crying, Tibolt. I was obsessed with him John I never get his name right, Legsamer sid this loth yes him in that. I remember watching it being like, why do I know? Why do I know that voice? Later on I was like, oh, I s Age gotcha.
Speaker 1: He's so good? Is so good? It's Baslomin. I think is one of my favorite filmmakers, even though when I go to mention my favorite filmmakers and sometimes I forget to put him in. Yeah, but when he's Elvis film comes out, I am, I'm front and center.
Speaker 5: The thing that I love about him, and you mentioned Quentin Tarantino, and it's this concept of auteurs. So it's a director that you know immediately. You may not know anything about the film, but it begins and you're like, is this a Tarantino film or is this a bas Leman film. There's stylistically something there that they have, you know, across their body of work. And I think that for me was Romeo and Juliet was the first one for me to really get get involved and notice that, and then you know, Mulan Rouge Australia to a certain extent, Great Gatsby after that as well. There were always these elements of being like, oh you can tell it's Baz.
Speaker 1: There's very few austrained directors who come a fit in that category. George Miller is probably the one that stands out. But even then, you know, I mean, obviously I think Feu possibly is the greatest strain movie you ever made. Love it so much, astonishing, But you know he's still doing Lorenze's Oil. You know, you're not watching Lorenzi's Oil going oh, this is a George Miller film. Yeah, okay, yeah, I think we're every every second of Celluloid that bas Lehman has worked on, says bas Lemon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. And that was and I fell and I fell in love with it. There was something about it that I was like Oh, this is great, and now I'll comes to think of it, talking about, you know, modernizing a classic, I'm like one of my other favorite films, which is not in the top three. But if She's the Man, the classically acclaimed She's the Man with Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum, and it's based on I think it's The Twelfth Night, so it is technically based on Shakespeare The Twelfth Night, but without any of the language, so there's no iambic pentameter, there's none of that. It's just it's all modern language. But the story itself is based on Shakespeare.
Speaker 1: Isn't also Ten Things I Hate About You based on The Taming of the Shot.
Speaker 5: Saving of the Shoe. That's another one that I also adore. So it's it's it's it's interesting that we got me to watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles because it is like this comedy and romantic comedy in a sense, because I think the love story between Dell and Neil is far more interesting than Neil's relationship with his wife. We'll get to that when we go back to Planes, Trains and Automobiles. But there is something about that genre that I am drawn to, and I mean, Shakespeare's work is always about that, essentially. There's a lot of other things, I know, but if there's a good a good love story, a bit of comedy, I'm there.
Speaker 1: But isn't a funny way, you know, I wasn't aware that She's the Man was based on That's weird.
Speaker 5: It's amazing oscar Worthy idea.
Speaker 1: Well, and then you have then you have you know, Ten Things I Had About You, which is actually a real it's a really good film, Heath Ledges. You know, maybe first American film I want, you know, certainly the one that broke out.
Speaker 5: The one that The thing I love about Ten Things I Hate About You is that Joseph Gordon Levitt is considered like the dorky cy friend being like, oh yeah, no, one's looking at Joseph Gordon Levitt like what do you mean it's Robin.
Speaker 1: That is very funny. It's probably no coincidence that these films, at these high school films that may be disregarded by some based on either trailer or whatever it might be another are actually really good in fact, based on the greatest works of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's always what it comes back to. I mean, there's an argument for all storytelling right and all with films and things, it's so hard to find a completely original idea. But I think with Romeo and Juliet, it's one of the most well known, probably the most well known love story. I'm using air quotations with love story because it's very problematic, but it's something about the take that Baz took it to that still made sense to me, and because it was brought into that modern world, but then also by keeping the Shakespearean language, I hadn't really seen that before, and it's that stayed with that stayed with me, and I think it is one of the reasons why I will continue to just always love this film. It's just perfection, perfection.
Speaker 1: La La Land. There are some films that I think a victim of its own success.
Speaker 5: I'm so interested to hear your thoughts on La La Lance.
Speaker 1: I really like La La Lance, Okay.
Speaker 5: Because I find there's two I say this because I find there's two categories of people. People who love it get it, and then people who don't like it. They're just like, it's okay, it's not really about the hype, Like it's not it's not it's not all it's raved up.
Speaker 1: To be I saw it, you know, I well, well, I just love going to see films early. You know, I don't like you know, obviously, there are some films that you end up hearing about and you end up checking them out. But I you know, when there's a buzz, I love the Whiplash. Damian Chadell's previous his first film.
Speaker 5: He's very talented film.
Speaker 1: Extremely talented, so I was I'm a big Ryan Gosling fan. I love Emmastone as well, so it was all working for me. And I'm partial to a musical, so I really enjoy this.
Speaker 7: I haven't.
Speaker 1: I think I've seen it twice, and I think i've and I think I saw it twice in reasonably quick succession, so I haven't revisited it recently, but yes, it seems to be. There are some films, like I think Forrest Gump also falls in where it's become so big the people kind of start question, you know, and it's so successful, the people going is it? But is it that good? And then it kind of you know, and then the pylon kind of happens. So I like, I like people who can just disregard all of that and and not be cynical and just you know, embrace what is actually presented on screen.
Speaker 5: And I think it's interesting because you're right, I was positioned before I saw this film. I'd stayed away from most most reviews. I also saw it pretty pretty early on. I think it came out it was like a Boxing day release or something, or a New Year's Day release, and I saw it probably like one or two days outside of its release. But it heard like all of the hype coming out of States about this film and all the awards buzz, and then you're right, it had elements that I'm already going to like in Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and a little bit of music, but of dancing, I'm gonna like that. But there was something about this movie that it's going to sound weird, but in my mind it's like an epic. And when you think epic, you're thinking, I mean, I'm thinking like Lord of the Rings. But there's elements of this movie and how it's structured and how it's put together, and just the highs and lows of emotion and how it made me feel throughout the movie that it was like I was on the way to more door and I had the ring, and I was like, they're about to drop it in and then it was like am I going to get my happy ending? And I just loved it, loved it because of that. I remember it finishing and I was sitting there, sitting there with my sister. I remember finishing and I just I was I was silent for a few seconds while the credits were rolling, and I was like, I think that is the best film I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And I just remember being like that is I don't know, and I didn't know why. I wasn't sure why, but I was like, that is that's that's that's so wonderful what I've just seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I love that feeling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it was it was just so I remember saying, trying to explain and what I should preface this. I was, you know, shall I say, a dramatic teenager? And then I built up all of these situations, but nothing actually really ever happened to me. I was a very privileged you know, growing up in Brisbane, like nothing. I had wonderful family and I was completely normal. I'd be like, imagine this, imagine this situation, all of this, but I remember sitting there when Emma Stone comes into the piano bar and she's there with her husband and she's got this new life and she sees Ryan Gosling and it's that moment of what could have been, and then they have that they lock eyes and it goes on like a little flashback sequence of them dancing in and out of like the life that they could have if they'd just taken this this step, if they'd worked out all of this. But then the end and it's just like they're like, no, I'll always have love for you, but this is this is actually the best life for me, Like how this, how this happened? How this is? You're where you're meant to be. I'm where I'm meant to be. And I just remember that feeling though it was like Emma Stone had transported me into that spot. I didn't have any life lessons or experience to back this up about why I felt like Ryan Gosling had left me and could have been mine, But that was all I felt. I was sitting there being like, oh my god, like I found I was like losing breath, being like imagine being in that situation. You see that person that was like everything and then they're still doing their thing. And they've become everything for themselves, but you're not a part of it anymore. Yeah, and that I remember just being like, oh, what's that, what's that feeling? What's that feeling? I've got here interesting to discuss with a therapist later. But it was just so It's just one of those films. I was just so beautiful. The colors again, I think I must be a very visual person. The colors, the style, and just there was still just a sweetness to it. Because I've had this before, people like, well, is it actually a musical? And I think it is a musical because the music in it and the scenes in it, they progress the story. It's not like they're just like sitting there at times and then you know, burst out into song, like they're dancing down you know, the Hollywood Hills and they're dancing across a pier. But it all seems to kind of make sense, yes, And I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm happy enough for people to discuss whether it's a musical or not, or whether it diehards a Christmas movie or not. But it doesn't it's not.
Speaker 5: It's not it's not, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter in the end, Like and I'm if it's a fun conversation, whether you're just trying to you know, where there's this fit in the on the blockbuster shelf. Fine, But if that impacts anyone's enjoyment of the film, if anyone's going, well, I didn't enjoy it, I like because it's it's it's it's pretending to be musical. Well, no, it's it's the movie they're giving you. Yeah, you know, and there's some songs in it, and there's a story, and it's beautifully crafted. I think when I think of Lala Lain, I think of colors.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's like her blue dress, and then I always get yellow in there as well. I'm not sure she's she's in a yellow dress at one point as well, maybe when they're dancing, and the shoes, and I always remember the jacket that Ryan Gosling's wearing when he's being like that DJ the random like Beverly Hills party by the pool and he's there like hating life. I think so. And it's just it's just moments like that that that stay with me and I want them as like a print, you know. If it's like it's one of those movies where you pause it tom Ford's A Single Man is another one, right, And I know it helps because tom Ford is a fashion you know, fashion god. But like every single scene, every single second of that movie, if you pause it at any stage, that could be a print on a wall. And similar to what was his I don't want to say it's it's not glass animals, but animals something his other one, Nocturnal Nocturnal Animals, And it was similar with that with Amy Adams and Jake Dillonhall was like there were heavy themes, but it's just so beautiful. And I get that with La La Lad It's like I want the poster, I want everything. I want the shot of the ground, like I'll have that. Like it's just it's just so beautiful to me. And I think the overall theme of the movie, especially for me, was very important in that you have to kind of be happy yourself before you can expect anyone else to make you happy. And I think that that's what that's what they learned because it was a love story, but it was also a tragedy, but in the end it was good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, yeah, I think that's lovely. And also just the chemistry between those two, like I mean a big shot out the craziest you be'd love if you haven't seen the createst you'd love it. It's it's what probably in the same way as planes, trains and hounobiles, doesn't maybe get the the accolade that deserves craatest you would love.
Speaker 5: It is I get, But it could have made my list. Have to say, because I remember finishing again, leaving that the cinema and thinking, I think that film was made for me. I think that that was that hit everything it was. Steve Carrell was yep, Emma Ryan was in there, a little bit of intrigue, a little bit of a oh hang on, wasn't expecting that with that that twist at the end, and the soundtrack again was amazing, So that I agree with you, does not get the wraps that it deserves.
Speaker 1: Emma Stone, it is. It is really, really funny. Julianne Moore is in it. It's it's it's funny, it's it's it's got heart, it's a bit heartbreaking at times. It's it's so it's it's it's so good. So check that out. Gladiator less less singing in this one, the score is still amazing. I assume I think it's Hans Zimmer, I imagine.
Speaker 5: Yes, Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerard see. I remember it because my mum was obsessed with two thousand version Russell Crowe, and I think she we saw Gladiator three times in the cinema, so at that time, you know if you're going to the cinema multiple times that it's one of your favorites. She couldn't wait for it to come out on DVD, had to see it three times, and I even think that she'd gone so many times that we have like a you know those huge posters that cinemas have because they hang them from the floor to the ceiling to be like, look at this release. I'm pretty sure like the local cinema near where we live in Brisbane. I think they gifted it to her and we have somewhere a huge, obnoxiously massive I was going to say life size, but it's not giant size poster of Russell Crowe as Maximus Decimus Meridius. It could be her most valued possession.
Speaker 1: That is amazing. I saw Gladiator almost of the week it opened in your home state of Queensland. I was on the tour with Tripod and we all went We're very excited because we'd heard, you know, the great buzz about this film and everyone was you know, really, you know, the whole country was behind Russell.
Speaker 5: Wasn't he just Australia's darling?
Speaker 1: It was Australia.
Speaker 5: Can't we born Australia's darling.
Speaker 1: Ignoring the fact that he was born in New Zealand, And we continue to do that, getting himself into trouble sometimes he becomes a key with New Zealand again. Yeah, but I mean I've always loved Russell Crowe, from seeing him the Summer of Us and the Rampa Stamper and then breaking through to the US and the films he didn't even after the Insider and incredible, incredible film Cinerellaman. But yeah, it was just like it just this is I was just here for the whole and I'm I love an epic. Yes, I love Braveheart. You know when I was four and fifteen, I was ever dancing with wolves, Okay, yeah, and this it just it just leaps off off the screen.
Speaker 5: I remember at the time thinking because and I saw it, so I didn't see it in the cinema. I think I was about nine when it came out so I would have seen it when I was probably ten or eleven, still probably too young to be watching should be watching Gladiator. Camielle sonny at home, but she went as soon as it was one of those films that as soon as it came out on dvdate, we had it. And so I remember sitting down to watch it with my parents, my sister, and I just got so involved with this this story, and I remember at the end being so heartbroken that Mum was sitting me down and telling me it's okay. Remember Russell is alive and he's dating Meg Ryan, like it's okay, he's not dead. And I just remember just heart like just I was inconsolable because Russell had died. Spoiler everyone Maximus does not survive the coliseum, and I just remember being like just so destroyed by that because I was like he was I was like, oh, I think it was my first memory of being like, well, he is a gladiator, he's an icon, he can't die, so this movie has to have a happy ending. Baby George, she was in for a ride, in for a ride, and I think again, it's there's the theme with all these and then the music, the music had such a profound influence on me because again, now I do sports journalism as my career, and every single sporting package, if it's going to rain in some of the emotion that you want from that moment, you're putting in hahn Zimmer, you're putting in that score. I don't care if it's golf, I don't care if it's motor sport. That's the bit. That is the song that you're using for that, and it's just this uplifting but also heartbreaking, heartbreaking sound like the whole way through, and I'll forever remember, you know, my name is Maximus Decimus Maridius, commander of the Armies of the North, father to a birded son, husband to amirded wife, and I will have my vengeance, you know what. It goes really low, and that to me is just still one of those moments that I'll be like, you know, loyal servant to a true emperor, Marcus Aurelius, and I just every time I'm there, I'm like, oh, I'm transported.
Speaker 1: And what's so great about Russell's performance because the voice, like the accents in across the whole film are a little bit different, you know, malar Keanes kind of keeping his accent. He's done a little bit, a little bit affected, and Russe is kind of doing the same things. You can kind of hear the Austraine accent, but it's kind of he's affected.
Speaker 5: Enough, and you've got gime on in there and you're like, what's happening, let's go on here? Where are you?
Speaker 1: But it really it just works. And I was listening to an actor say recently about I forget it was actually it's not all about the accent. You know, as long as you're consistent with whatever you choose to go with, it doesn't necessarily like if people are focusing on that, then you've you've missed it somewhere else, yes, in your in your performance. So yeah, I think obviously wins the Oscar.
Speaker 5: For that, and I remember the I think the thing as well, Like Ridley Scott was the director of this, and you know, I think he did and a whole whole host of other things right, and so he knows how to make an epic, he knows how to make it extra epic, and just the battle scenes for me, so the battle scenes before they got to the coliseum, when he was the commander of the Armies of the North, and that to me was like it was Game of Thrones. Like I mean literally twenty years before Game of Thrones, but it was that. So the things and the fights, the fight scenes, the battle scenes that people love now with Game of Thrones, they couldn't really have happened without Gladiator. I don't think in that same that same intensity. And then like you know, the Colosseum scenes as well. I still always remember when they bring out the Barbarian hordes with the those chariots with the spin the spindling need like I was gonna say a needle, but the sharp bit at the end of the wheels and it just slices the man in half. Again, possibly too mature content for a ten year old to handle, but I was there with that. Then they bring out the tigers and I was like, oh my gosh, like it was such a spectacle and something that I'll always yeah, I'll always go back to, always go back to Gladiator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't watched it for a long time. In fact, I haven't watched it with my kids, which I do need to rectify. We are going to move on to planes, trains and automobiles, but before we do, we'll just take a little break. All right, we're back with Georgie Toney, and now I'm just gonna ask you flat out, did you love plane, strange and Automobiles.
Speaker 5: Half love, half love, half love half love? Elements that I truly loved Steve Martin? Yes, John Candy, the love story of Planes, Trains and Automobile is between those two. You can tell me that it's a film about Steve Martin trying desperately to get home to his wife and family in time for Thanksgiving. I'm not going to believe you, because the wife, Susan Page, I've got all kinds of issues with her character.
Speaker 1: Well, let's discuss that. Let's just straight out, because there is one of the most fascinating details that I've only just uncovered preparing for this, because, like I said, this is my favorite comedy. It's in the top three films of all time, and I love it. But I never knew that the first draft, in fact, and they ended up shooting the entire draft was one hundred and forty five pages.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So that basically the rule of thumb is it's a minute of the page. Okay, So this film goes I think ninety three minutes. That's including credits, so usually I'm not sure if it was the same back in nineteen eighty six, but it was ninety three. Usually take about seven minutes away for credits, so it says less than ninety minutes. So I've done a lot of trimming and in the and I'll go, I'll go through when we discussed the certain scenes when they took bits out. But one of the big elements they took out was the idea that Susan believed Neil was having an affair. Ok So she was she and the whole thing that Dell's this and she thought Dell was a woman who he was having an affair with.
Speaker 5: Okay, this makes so much more sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I don't want to get to the end of we don't discussing in too much, but it just means. It just means when you get to the end and you have that final moment, that would the emotion felt in that moment, even though I'm totally there for it, and I feel it every single time, it's even it's even in the original scripts and what they left up, it's even it's even more heightened because of what Susan thought was.
Speaker 5: Going on, but what you okay, this is, this is this makes a lot of sense, and it would probably completely change around what I'm what I'm thinking about her character. But because they made that, all those those cuts to the final product of the film and you don't know that, I just thought it was it seems quite odd every time we cut back to her and she seems so MOPy, and she was like, oh, I can't believe you're not going to be home for Thanksgiving. I'm like, Babe, it is. There's a snowstorm. There is a lot of extra features happening that's going on that are impeding all of these obstacles, like you need to you need to calm down season and just appreciate that he's trying to get home from New York City to was it Chicago that they were after to Chicago on the Thanksgiving week and that you know, there's all these elements that the travel is going to be a little bit difficult. So yeah, he might be a little bit late. And so I just I never quite got that watching it, she just seems so much more upset then that situation gave her credence for it. But now it makes sense if they cut out this whole second secondary storyline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's really interesting because I I've never kind of taken a to be overly upset or there's a point where she said, what's going on? You know when you get and it's maybe there, but other times where she's gonna I'm just going to wait up for you. I'm just going to wait up for you. And yeah, So I never read it too much as she's being overly I think because.
Speaker 5: The actress herself has such a beautiful face. I was just focusing on her face and then she had like these little teary eyes Moses, and I was like, Susan, why also, you have three children under the age of six from what I can and.
Speaker 1: One with an all the time shocking haircut.
Speaker 5: Oh, I call it the Bailey Smith.
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 5: That was My first thing? It's or do you mean the bowl cut? Because there was a bowl cut with the middle child. But Marty so Marty Paige, who was the young the daughter, the oldest daughter, she came on screen. They were having dinner. She came on screen and I just went, oh, it's got Bally Smith's hair before her time.
Speaker 1: Wester Bulldogs with an all time great marlots. Yes, yes, didn't have the mustache to.
Speaker 5: Go with it. True, very true. If she did, though, I'd be questioning her choice of being cast in this as a six year old.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that was my main one of my main issues, which I feel like I'm feeling a bit more positive about the film because I know this now that there was this whole other plot, Like you.
Speaker 1: Can only judge a football team by who they put out injuries. You got injuries aside you. This is the movie that we're presented with, So this is we judge the movie. The ninety three minutes we're given not necessary, even though you can now understand what the maybe what it could have been, you know, you have to judge what.
Speaker 5: It got to a stage where I was like, oh, Neil, just give her up, give her up. Just you bunker down with Dell and you just have the best time. This is the bromance the world needs and I need this to happen. And I don't care about your getting to Chicago. I don't care go back to New York, Like, just just chill there with Dell. That's where I was at.
Speaker 1: There are there are a lot of for those first Buela Day Off. Have you seen First Buel' Day Off?
Speaker 5: Yes, I've seen bits, not the whole thing, the whole way through, but I believe I've seen like every scene, just not in sequence.
Speaker 1: Yep is it is a classic, and you'll you'll see some you'll see some First Bueler characters in it, or actors from First Buela that the First's dad is in the boardroom meeting, so you'll never make the six.
Speaker 5: And I also say that that boardroom meeting. There's a scene in this film where I was like, could this be any more accurate? And no, It's It's like it's it's him. You're trying to get somewhere. It is the most like minor thing you're trying to get signed off on at work, and they've they've been pouring over it for four minutes, four minutes, four hours, and you're you have somewhere to be and it's like I have to leave, and it's like, well, I'm just gonna have another look at it, and I have to go.
Speaker 1: I think there are so many smart choices in this movie. And the begin you know, a commercial comedy with basically basically a wordless you know, three minute opening scene it's hilarious. It's so hilarious, and that's just taking advantage of who you have. And we know Steve Martin when they're just waiting, everybody's leaning in, all those little touches are just beautiful.
Speaker 5: And that should have been my foreshadowing. I guess this is what I mean by his physical humor, which I hadn't really appreciated before. It was like even those moments where he's just there this frustration and all of this, and I was like, oh god, I really I really relate to that. I that yeh, that hit for me. Yeah, And I hadn't. I hadn't appreciated that before with him.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting because because you're of a younger generation to me, Georgie, Yeah, I said that. I put it, you're younger, Yes, that you know you're sore. You're coming to Steve Martin the cheaper but a dozen kind.
Speaker 5: Of which is almost also has a lot of slapstick humor. Can I just I'm just remembering scenes of like washing dogs, the dog takes them out of under the legs and all of this, but I've never appreciated before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Steve Martin's his stand up was very Slapstick, he was very prop heavy, and the movies that I got to know Steve Martin in like The Jerk and Three Megos Parenthood, he's very He's always been very physical, so this is actually one of his more restraint because he is kind of in a way the straight man in this Bell John Kenny Stell. But it is great when you see that he still has so when you when he does become he's seen a physical side of Neil, it is so rewarding because you know, it's just it bursts out. There's a scene where they later on, they're both talking at the hotel room and we won't jump ahead too much, and it's just so great to see him laughing in the and having good trouble. We'll try to move through reasonably in.
Speaker 5: Chronological I think that I think Pete, that's the bit that that that the true success of this film is that is it's almost unexpected. His outbursts and the slapstick or any of the physical humor, it's unexpected. It was when I was watching it, I wasn't ready for it. So then when it hit, it really hit because I was like, oh, you're not even the funny man in this particular movie, right, But then I'm like, you're actually really the most hilarious one.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, what it does is it makes what he's going through so hilarious, you know. The you know, the bathroom sync, you know, is just so so funny, you know. And I just want to stop down to say a lot of people who listened to this podcast, and we're building this beautiful community of listeners, and some people have reached out saying they sometimes listen to the podcast first and then go and watch the movie. They do it out of order, and that's fine. Occasionally we do a movie. Harold and Maud was one with Jerdy and Hickey. We did that, and we just stopped down and said, listen, if you have not seen this movie, stop listening now and watch it because there is a twist at the end that you need to experience without knowing what's coming. So stop now if you have not seen the movie, and I'll put a warning at the top of the show again, because for the full for the full impact of this movie, you need to see it fresh. So yeah, so we meet dal, he steals the cab. There's a lovely little touch in the puddle, there's little shwer curtain ring, which I've never seen before.
Speaker 5: And then I did not notice that.
Speaker 1: I've seen this movie thirty times and I've never seen it before.
Speaker 5: Can I also just say the choice from John Hughes, I'm assuming it's his idea. I'd love it if it was John Conny's idea. But to have him be a shower shower curtain ring salesman is just so good, so good. Yeah, Like that had me in stitches for a good five minutes, just.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah it is. And when he's selling these chexeasavuk in Ivory and.
Speaker 5: That's one of the best things.
Speaker 1: He says to the three girls, you know you could pass at eighteen and nineteen, there's the money.
Speaker 5: I want it, I want it, I want it. Like he's basically showing that, yeah, he's he's a salesman to the truest extent, could sell you know, his sand to the deserts. And it's like, yep, yep, it's.
Speaker 1: Prob we one. Del Griffith might be one of my all time favorite characters on screen. I mean, the chemistry between the two is just magical but incredible.
Speaker 5: It's just that's why they he should have ended up with Dell Well Susan, Well.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the sequel. You know, John Candy was still with us.
Speaker 5: You know, I'd love to see it.
Speaker 1: But he's just well, first of all, he's just so funny, like you know, he's reading that book that the Canadian Mounted, I think it's called, and when he's offering all the snacks and he is just is it's insatiable.
Speaker 5: So for this, because I mean I've admitted before that I thought that this movie, I got it confused with Trained Spotting in my entire life. So there was that, and I thought there were specific scenes in that film. But then I was like, oh, okay, this must be a comedy. But then when it started in the initial set, I was like, oh no, it's a horror film because this would be my hell. I was Neil and I was at a packed airport, which can I just say as well trigger warning for everyone in this in this COVID world. Looking at those scenes of everyone trying to get to the airport, trying to get to where they're going, and there's no like security, there's no you know for me to square rule or anything. That for me, I was like, oh God, like that amped up my anxiety anyway, and then to be introduced to Dell and have this you know, super chatty traveler who just wants to chat NonStop, and you know, you try and be like, oh, I'm actually just I'm doing my own thing and all of this, and he's like and it's continues chatting, and then you find that you're sitting next to them on the plane that you're going to, and then you're next to them again somewhere and they're just always popping up. That is my idea of hell.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done that way you shut a conversation.
Speaker 5: I've not gone that far because raised Catholic, Catholic guilt must be polite above all else. So but I have feigned sleep before, so I have had the air pods in and I'm just there being like, oh yeah, and just yeah, very tired working breakfast TV. It's a good excuse. You know, I'm an arcalyptic basically, so yeah, you know, very very tired. But yeah, it's just something I find because sometimes with traveling I'm quite anxious anyway. And then if I'm feeling that way and someone just wants to have a chat and they're genuinely so lovely, and often they are so lovely, and I'm just there being like, oh, no, it's really this is me. It's not you, it's me. And so I was kneel in that situation, being like, I am so stressed about all these external things that are happening. It's not you, but I actually can't. I don't have the energy to give you anything right now. But then John Candy said, no, that is not allowed. Neil.
Speaker 1: It's been quite a bit of bety thing going on. So in that scene where he says, please meet in Neil Page, Neil Page, what do you do in Neil Page? I love the fact that he's his entire name himself and he's marketing, oh, marketing. In this script he goes off on this huge marketing thing that he does a bit of marketing himself with the shower curtain ring, and he talks about the movie Psycho and how that movie damaged the curtain ring industry. But he had a friend who went under because of the movie Psycho like that, and and there there's a whole there's a whole bunch. And then so is that improv No, it's in the script. In the script, it's in the script, and AND's there's a few different layers to and he got it's like slabs of dialogue and they've lost it. And so he basically goes from you know, yeah, marketing, you know that's that's that's fascinating, and then and then Neil says, so I've lost all that straight to Neil saying do you mind? You know, I'm not much of a conversationalist, and it's hard to argue that they made the wrong choice. But I would love I would love to see and we'll get to the release that Hughes cut the later on in the in the podcast. But they do a really good job of keeping these two together because obviously Steve Martin's trying to get away.
Speaker 5: And I thought it was actually a credit to John Hughes or how the film is put together. I didn't find it to be too manufactured. Yes, like the reasons that they had to stay together. I actually found that to be I was like, no, that I could believe it and how that situation is right now, I could. I could totally believe that is happening to porn Neil.
Speaker 1: For a movie that you know, has all the set pieces, like I said in the Injury, it doesn't it never feels sure on you never kind of see the mechanics behind the right, the writing behind it. It just feels, you know, like the first time they get off and there's everybody's trying to work out what's going on, and the course home and there's a little bit of foreshadowing, you know, like again, stop listening if you haven't seen it. But the first bit of foreshadowing is when Neil says, so Dlle says to Neil, I have a rule like your work, love your wife. Yeah. With that said, Neil has caught home and Dell has called a hotel, so he hasn't it han't necessarily maybe rang home. So it's the first little slice kind of foreshadowing that maybe there's something going on in Dell's life.
Speaker 5: And again, if you have not you have not watched it, stop now watch it. But I have to say, and I was like giving myself all of the bloody pats on the back with this that line. I was like, oh god, no, is his wife dead? No?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I watched a lot of British crime shows, so I'm pretty good at picking things. But I was just there was just something about him, the character John Candy and Dell and I was like, it was just that line I felt was like, I was like, that's a bit odd to have there. And I was like, oh no, oh no.
Speaker 1: At the airport there or was it in the hotel room though?
Speaker 5: Was that the airport? It was that bit was that love your wife? And I thought, oh god, does he not have a wife, Like, what's what's happening? What's going on?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll get to when that is explored and revealed a bit later on. But the yeah, and then and then so and then Delda says, listen, I can I can hook you up. I love the constant.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I hooked this guy up with some shower curtainings so beautiful, so good.
Speaker 5: And the contacts that he has because of the shower rings, I was like, oh my god, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: And they do kind of work. And also his ability he talks to people. Yeah, he's you know, he's able to kind of navigate his way across the country because he actually engages with people. Neil can't do this because he closes himself off. So and Neil then sees like Neil's first instinct is going, I'm not going to hang out, go back to a hotel with this dude and then he sees the man sleeping next to a bin and that and you need that, you need that. The scene Neil go and we know Neil, he's in a suit, he lives in a nice home. He's not going to sleep on the floor in an airport. Yep, He's going to go to the hotel and that hotel sink. What what a sequence?
Speaker 5: Can I also say? So they walk into this hotel room and can I give I have to give a lot of props to the prop department of this film because the curtain choice, the bedspread choice, yes, perfection, perfection, the blue green graphic horribleness, perfection. Also the bed choice because it does genuinely look like the most uncomfortable bed that could have existed, and they've been able to create that. And also such a small bed for the two men to be sharing. The two strangers, John Candy is not a small lad.
Speaker 1: When that camera pans across, it's like it's panning across Europe. It is it is is quite uh, it's quite a shape. Let's let's have a listen to I mean, this feels like when you see anyone who's seen this movie This seems to be the scene that people really remember. This is them waking up spooning.
Speaker 2: Maybe, oh oh, what did you kiss? Bite here? I'm where you're holding her hand. There's your other hand between two pillows. Those aren't pillows.
Speaker 3: Bears game last week game.
Speaker 1: I do, I do love it. It's it's it's just bloody funny.
Speaker 5: It's just do you know what the scene that got me? I mean that that one got me, but it was the scene before that when Neil loses his ship at Dell and it's just like, you think, I want to be here, I'm leaving. I'm leaving this hotel and has a whole thing and he describes Dell as a chatty Cathy doll, except he's pulling his own string, so it's like no one is wanting him to talk. But I'm that.
Speaker 1: Lost it I have so I have played this out of order. So I'm let's have a listen to that scene as well, because and this is what I love about this movie that these two moments can happen kind of back to back in the same you know, within the same room. So this this is earlier in the night Dell, the various things that Dell is doing the sound effects. I mean the folly department's chagoed and oscar for it. I'm not sure what he was scratching, No I know, but it was I think butt cheek. I don't think it's screwed him. But it's the moving the big cans, knocking over the big hands, or the bottles. He tries to read for a little while, he's he's adjusting his neck. It's it's crunching. His bones are crunching. He's doing the nose thing, he's clearing his throat, and eventually Neil has has had enough and they have a have a pretty intense conversation.
Speaker 8: Well, go ahead, sleep in a lot, you see if I care, I hope you wake up so stiff you can't even move.
Speaker 6: You're no saint. You've got a free cab, you've got a free room and someone who will listened to your boring stories.
Speaker 3: I mean, didn't you didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking eventually I started reading.
Speaker 1: The vomit bag.
Speaker 3: Didn't that give you some sort of clue, like, hey, maybe this guy's not enjoying it. You know, everything is not an anecdote.
Speaker 6: You have to discriminate.
Speaker 3: You choose things that are that are funny or were mildly amusing or interesting.
Speaker 1: You're a miracle.
Speaker 4: Your stories have none of that.
Speaker 3: They're not even amusing. Accidentally, Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith. He's got some amusing anecdotes for you. Oh, here's a gun, so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it. I could tolerate any any insurance seminar for days. I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They say, how can you stand it?
Speaker 1: And I'd say, because I've been with.
Speaker 2: Del Griffith, I can't take anything.
Speaker 6: You know what that's say? That's say, I know what you mean. Shower curtain ring dies. It's like going on a date with a chatty Kathy Dollar. I expect to have a little string on your chest. You know that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back.
Speaker 2: You would.
Speaker 3: And by the way, you know, when you're when you're telling these little stories, here's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Have a point.
Speaker 1: It makes it so much more interesting for the listener.
Speaker 8: You want to hurt me, Go right ahead, of it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listened too much. I could be a coldhearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me. I'm not changing.
Speaker 7: I like I like me, my.
Speaker 8: Wife likes me, my customers like me, because I'm the real article. What you see is what you get it is.
Speaker 1: I think it's a stunning it's a stunning piece of writing. It's a stunning performance from both those actors, and what it makes you do, like you like you understand when Neil gets up out of that bed that you know that you know he's got every right to be frustrated, you know, and jump out. And this speech is relentless and it's hilarious. But John Hughes has a really interesting thing where he keeps cutting back to Dell, so at some point you become conflicted because you're laughing at what Neil's saying you're seeing. There's a version of this where you can imagine John Hughes perhaps considered not revealing Dell or having John Candy maybe hold back the wailing and the eyes a little bit you know, but you're die, so he makes you kind of quite conflicted of going. It's almost a turning point. You kind of you're on Neil's side, and then all of a sudden you're like, you're on Dell's side. This is you've gone to far mate.
Speaker 5: That's that And so interesting that you said that. I didn't. I didn't notice that when I was watching it, that choice, but you're right, it is definitely a choice because that was the moment where I was like and also interesting that in Dell's speech there where he's like, you know, the customers like me, my wife likes me. And it was that was when I was like, oh, that's present tense, Okay, interesting it got it, got it. But it was his face that was just so heartbreaking, and I was like, team Neil. And then with the cha I mean still the chatty Kathy line. The chatty Kathy line is so it's gold, it is so funny. I was losing it. But then you're right, I almost had to start for my laughter because poor John Candy was getting abs torn apart and he was just like taking it. It's like he was bleeding out in this horrible hotel.
Speaker 9: Room in his pajamas in hisas in his pajamas, and Steve Martin's like doing this to him, And I mean, do I want a shirt that says I've been with Dell Griffith.
Speaker 5: I can take anything.
Speaker 1: Yes, every beat of that speech is so quotable. We always quote that speech, not necessarily the whole speech of this part of it, you know, have a point. It makes it makes it so much more interesting. Well, the listener, you've.
Speaker 5: Got to discriminate, discriminate a great word, good, You're a miracle.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 1: But what I also think is important about this scene is I think Neil actually carries the guilt like this frames his guilt a little bit for the rest of the movie. I think there are times when later on when the train breaks down and he sees Neil Dell lugging his case. He could have easily done a wide birth walked around him, but he kind of feels like the way I read it, and I really just more recently when I watched it, is like, I feel part of the is born out of this moment.
Speaker 5: That's interesting. So do you think that Neil as a character, is he maybe well, I think it's definitely like he's taking out the external stuff that's happening, and it's taking it out on Dell, despite the situation itself being pretty understandably you'd be frustrated with your traveling partner that you never wanted. Yes, but then he goes too far and then he's feeling that he's not being a good dat, he's not being a good husband, and now he's not being a good person.
Speaker 1: Yes. A moment I wrote down the question why do we like Neil? And I think it's a really interesting thing to discuss because and I think you've hit it on. I think we understand and you know, and the elephant in the room when discussing something like this is that it's bloody Steve Martin, Yeah, which is something you know you can't necessarily count on for everyone, but most of us are gonna, you know, like stife.
Speaker 5: I'm predisposed to like him.
Speaker 1: Yes, But taking that aside, I think he's inherently good. We know what he's trying to do, we would all you know, he's been put in a very frustrating situation and not of his doing. All he wants to do is get home from his fam to his family for Thanksgiving, which is and like I said, that's not really what the movie is about. That's the device. Yes, And so we admire that he wants to get home to spend time with his family, and when he does something mean, and he says something mean to Dell, he genuinely feels guilty about it. Pretty quickly we see him that, so he actually you know, gets back into.
Speaker 5: Bed, stays to night. They have a lovely embrace.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so we later on, you know, he is yelling, and then there's kind of forgiveness, even if he has to kind of go off on his own for a little while. They come back and you know, so there's an inherent I think there's an inherent a goodness that we and we understand his predicament and that sense of good I think is really important for us to connect with that character.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's interesting because again, now knowing the you know a little bit of context that they cut out of the film with his wife thinking that he's having an affair and that Dell is this like other woman character, that it does alter it a little bit for me because I'm like, is Neil a good person?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: Why do you want Neil to have happiness? Why do you want him to get back to the family. I struggled with that a little bit, because I know it's his family and I should want him to get home for Thanksgiving. But because I wasn't finding redeemable features in Susan, I was like, well, now you're just being an absolutely horrible person to Dell, who is lovely and annoying. Yeah, but lovely, and it's wanting to wanting to spend time with you. Susan doesn't look like she cares if she spends time with you. She's just setting up all these impossible ask for you to get home in a snowstorm. But with with Dell, and I think in that scene in particular, like that moment before Steve Martin goes into the bed and just hear that music and really it's the go It's the gay romance of my dreams. Like if they just had a big embrace there and a big kiss, I'd be like, this movie is amazing. Yes, this is what we.
Speaker 1: Want, This is what we want, this is what we need.
Speaker 5: Take it a turn and I'm for it. I'm here for it. Down with Susan, I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Another bit they cut out of that scene is and it's referred to in the in I think the next thing where they're at the roadside diner and where they realize their money is gone, Yes, and Neil says something like, you went through my wallet to get the pizza. So there's a scene where they order they order pizza and Neil's in the shower and John Canny doesn't hit the money for it, so he goes into Neil's suit pocket and Tacky's wallet paces at a pizza in that but he doesn't tip because he's like his money doesn't tip the pizza delivery guy. So the guy who breaks in is pizza delivery. He's the pizza delivery guy, which you know it works as just a random random guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, interesting, So that's just more context that they've had to cut out of it for time restraints. Yes, and I think that this works probably more successfully than cutting out the adultery, you know, tro potentially, but that is also again interesting. But I also when I was watching it, I didn't think twice about him mentioning like, you know, I've gone into your well for the pizza. I was just like, oh yeah, And he kind.
Speaker 1: Of mentions beer cans exploding on the on the on the vibrating bed, and so I think that there was there's a part of that happening as well, but again you don't miss it, so it's hard to argue you can't see. I think there is a deleted, deleted scene from the airplane where somebody woman in front of Neil. She's got a woman with her long hair. She kind of puts her hair over the seat and it goes into his meal.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And then Del you're going to finish that branning and takes his goes through her hair and takes takes out the brandy and it's really funny. It's really funny.
Speaker 5: Oh I wish that state in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is available online and you can find that online. But again you can kind of go, yeah, but everything's working, you know. So they've got the stolen cash because of Dell's contact, they get on the gust of sun contact. The contact always contacts and everything just goes like everything that kind of plays out better for Dell, even small things like when that guy comes up who's played I'm sure he's a well known actor and I think he was in the movie Happiness, and I never kind of saw this. I don't know his name, but I'm sure he's from the movie Happiness. And he arrives and he spits into his hand and he shakes shakes. He shakes Del's hand first, and then he speaks to his hand, he shakes Neil's, and it stays on him and Neil's. You just see Neil's face in the corner of the screen and you just see him go oh.
Speaker 5: Go again. I'm reverting back to thinking that this is a horror film. That moment I was like, oh my god, that is some wolf creak shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's everything just doesn't quite happen work for Neil. And then the train breaks down, and again we discussed before that again you understand it. Of course, it's quite when Neil says, you know, he doesn't want to he doesn' want to catch up for a beer or anything. He's just like, you know, it's been polite enough, though, you know it's.
Speaker 5: Been polite enough. But then there's and there is just a way that Dell is framed there that you're starting as an audience. I think to cotton On that hang on, something all is not right with what's going on with Dell and at home, and I think it's and I think that that's you're starting to learn that along with Neil, so that moment of and he also he's just like, you know, he's been relentless, but he's broken down Neil's barriers. They are like a legit friendship, even though Neil doesn't want it to be that. And so you see the scene after bus is broken down and he's there with the huge trunk that they've been lugging around and just wheeling it up these cobblestone like all the stones, and you just see Neil make that choice, which is like, oh god, okay, this is my Everest is helping helping Dell with this, and I'm going to do it.
Speaker 1: And I think the score actually works really well. It's not a score that's going to win, you know. I'm sure it didn't win any awards or anything, but it's actually it's really an effective, simple score.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say it was effective though, because I did notice it. I noticed it from the start with oh, mate, Kevin Bacon running for a cab and I was like, what is this little like a funky little soundtrack. What's happening with these beats? And then you've got that like romantic score when they're having the argument and they're like, no, we'll still okay, we're going to sleep together, it's fine, and then yeah, and all these kind of moments. It's definitely I mean, I'm not humming it, but it helps progress the story for sure, and also helps shape your feelings about each character, because every time Neil goes too far, then there's just a score to remind you that, no, no, he's a good guy. I remember, we still want him to get home to his family. There's still the end goal, and you should want that too. Yes, even though I don't want him to. I want him to stay on the road with Dell.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Dylan Baker, Derek's helped me out. But on the screen, Dylan Baker is the actor who plays Gus's son who was in The Happiness. Really a really fine actor.
Speaker 5: He's also in this movie for about two minutes, but it is a good two minutes.
Speaker 1: I think the characters beat along the way or uniformly across the board just fantastic, even and I'd never noticed it. When they're in that bus or the train station just waiting. I think it's a train station. There's an old guy next one who has like this box of mice two Weirdly, I had never noticed that before.
Speaker 5: Really, I can't.
Speaker 1: I hate but so I'm not sure subconsciously if I've blocked it out or just decided not to look at that, or I cannot believe. Maybe I had just completely forgotten about. I don't know, but I'd never know, you know, it just all of a sudden, I was like, oh, there's two mice in that guy's lat but see.
Speaker 5: And it's those moments that I think are such great choices from John Hughes, whoever the team is, whoever decided for that to happen, because it still doesn't feel too fabricated, because we've all been in those situations where you're like, is that actually happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is.
Speaker 5: And it's always when you're most frustrated about something that you're like, this is the most absurd thing that could happen. I remember I was on when I was living in Sydney. I was on a manly fairy and it was like delayed and I don't know, there was a bit of chop. I'm not sure, but I was trying to get somewhere and I was on this ferry and was taking a very long time, and then there was a man across the aisle on the fairy who was clipping his toenails. And I will just never forget it because I was in that moment up the frustration, being like, when I ever get there, what's happening? Okay, two messages person, I'm going to be like blah blah blah. And then I just everything stopped and I was like, what is happening? What is happening? And that was those mice. It was like everywhere that they have gone and they've turned. They were on the bus and those two guys are like making out and it's like it's just like these things happen when you're traveling. It happens, but it's because like you've got this extra frustration that they're just like this huge thing.
Speaker 1: Well, the perfect example. Let's have a listened to this scene. This is one of the again more famous scenes from this movie. Dell has gone to be dropped off at the parking lot to get his rental car. It is not there. The bus has already left. He has to traverse the car park, across a freeway, across the actual runway to get to the rental and then there being other people in line. The person who is the worker the rental company is on the phone and talking to her sister or sister in law about Thanksgiving preparations, and let's have a listen to this.
Speaker 4: No, mom's gonna do the turkey. Yeah, dad, one's ambrosia. So I guess we got to get those nature marshmallows, and I'll do the crescent rolls and you do the cranberry.
Speaker 5: You know I can't cook.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I'll see you to mortha gobble gobble, Welcome to marathon. May I help you help me?
Speaker 6: Yep, you can start by wiping that fucking dumb ass smile.
Speaker 4: Off your rosy fucking chinks.
Speaker 3: Then you can give me a fucking automobile, a fucking Dutch in a fucking Toyota Mustang, a fucking being four fucking wheels on a seat.
Speaker 6: I really don't care for the way you're speaking, and I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of fucking nowhere with fucking key to a fucking car.
Speaker 2: That is a fucking mare.
Speaker 3: And I really didn't care to fucking walk down a fucking highway and across a fucking runway to get back here to have.
Speaker 2: You smile with my fucking face. I wanted a fucking car right fucking now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see your rental agreement.
Speaker 2: I threw it away. Boy, oh boy, what.
Speaker 5: Your fust?
Speaker 1: That was Adye mclergh, who was in She's having a baby as well with John Hughes and John Hughes during during one of the days read up to her and said can you just read this? And she goes, okay. She thought, oh, he's just obviously writing something. Maybe he wants to hear it back, and she and she read it and he's like, okay, cool. And then a few months later you got a call something we're casting you in that and she's like, oh, that was an audition that I got an audition in front of the rest of the crew and cast. Okay, sure, but it's so that is so funny. I just love that scene.
Speaker 5: Give her an oscar? Where's the oscar?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's this was really I think I love it his film. It's like I love Alexander Payne. You know, he does Sideways and The Election and The Descendants. He kind of has these characters, kind of Midwest characters, throughout his movies, and I think the casting and this is so good. There are eighteen if you weren't counting eighteen f bombs in a minute. And what's what I love about it is there's not another F bomb in the entire movie.
Speaker 5: Now, it's just this. And I thought at the time, I was like, have they used up all of the swear words that they are allowed to in the movie just for this one, this one bit? And it was And I thank them for that because this scene was, like, I mean, to the man on the manly fairy cutting his turnails, I would have loved to have been able to say this because and I watched this scene, I was like, because it's so real, like and I know, it's like, you know, yes, there are things that might be fanciful that are happening in this You're not You're like, oh yeah, but how far fetched would that be? This is so real, this amount of frustration. And for those who haven't seen this particular scene, Steve Martin is so disheveled looking.
Speaker 1: You've got his tie the forehead but like under his jaw, and I'm not sure why.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure why, but it was amazing. It was amazing, even that choice. When he's like taking his time, I'm like, why is it over there?
Speaker 1: A lovely little weird like costume choices and set design. There's one were days go to an office and there's two neon lights signs that says office. Why do you need to point to this office in this motel.
Speaker 5: It's so good even just that, because we've all like everyone, I don't care if you're like, no, I'm a lovely person.
Speaker 2: Up. This is now.
Speaker 5: This isn't relatable. We have all been in a situation where we've walked into a retail store and I used to work retail, and it's like the one time that you actually want help and no one is there to help. It could be any customer service thing, the one time you want help there's no one there to help, or if they are, they're on the phone talking to someone incredibly animatedly and you're just like a hem, as Steve did there, and then they come back to you and it's almost like what, like what and for her to go gobblegobble.
Speaker 1: Got the gobble gobble. It was the thing. I think it's scene even more than the is about the gobble gobble.
Speaker 5: Oh, because I'm like, did she just say what? It was like, almost like a huh is that? Because it's just so perfect.
Speaker 1: It is so amazing and apparently an idea almost it's a living going on. It was it was John Hughes said this pretending just be on the phone actually and this baby, and so she was I think taking a book, but then they take a books. No, just talk about Thanksgiving, you know, which is perfect because he's trying to get home for Thanksgiving and she's talking about you know, gobblegobblin.
Speaker 5: What was your reaction the first time if you can remember the first time that you saw this film.
Speaker 1: I saw this in the cinema when I was like twelve years old, and I was like, oh, hilarious. And the swearing, Oh wow, this is a bit naughty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I wasn't I was like, was it like did it have even more impact that scene because of the swearing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, because it doesn't. It kind of comes out of nowhere, like you're not asshole. I think he's mentioned a couple of times. I'm not sure if before or after this, but it's not a film that leans on it. And did they lost their PG rating went to an m rating in America because of this this scene. Wow, okay, when it's on TV in Australia, it's a poop and my poop and that's a poop and that's that's in a poop and toyota, which this makes you know, really like flipping would have been a better choice, slipping or a freaking Oh.
Speaker 5: Just that takes out so much of the poton, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's it. But it's a good because then he goes outside and he's immediately aggressive towards the guy who's I think trying to be friendly enough. And he says, you know, if I wanted the joke, I would follow you into the tal and what you take a leak? And he gets he gets punched and then he gets hitting the balls. And what's nice about it is this is Neil trying to get across the country. His way of not connecting with people, have not engaged with people, of being aggressive, even though we understand why he's been that way compared to the way Dell deals with people. And we see the contrast and in the end Dell nearly he runs him over and they're united.
Speaker 5: That's interesting because you're right, it's like every single turn, which I didn't really realize when I was watching it, but every single misstep that Neil takes where he goes too far and is not the nice guy anymore, he gets a certain come up, and so it's like, yeah, okay, you can be a dickhead, but you also then will have to apologize. We'll be made to feel sorry anyway. So that also probably helps with the audience still like it him because it's like, yeah, he did that ship thing, but he knows it's ship, so it's it's okay now.
Speaker 1: I think the fact that by this stage, the fact that he's gone back a few times, I think when he helps Dal with these trumpets after the train, you probably go, yeah, all right, that was his chance to kind of like leave him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's imagine imagine as well at the same time, imagine if he didn't imagine if this this film was like he was like, no, we're just going to ignore Dell with his junk anyway. Off I go like, imagine that was this guy.
Speaker 1: And the film probably doesn't get made. And then we had that great kind of driving on the highway, you know, set peace with the first of all, the breaking of the seat, which is again like Johnny does a really good job of you know, like you said, when we're kind of battling with the idea of like do we supposed to, like Neil, of just having Dell provide these annoyances that are completely on standable that Neil is a bit pissed off with him, like yeah, he broke the seat and says the great lines. He says, how can you break a car seat? It's impossible? Why do you think that's impossible? Things break all the time?
Speaker 5: It's and I have and it is again it's one of the more memorable ones, along with the chatty Kathy is that whole sequence because it goes for a long time. But I don't get my find myself getting too bored of that particular scene because the payoff at the end when the cars on fire and everything's on fire, and like the two of them are just like what is life is just so good?
Speaker 1: Yes, so good? And the lines one of my favorite lines. And I remember the line I remember the whole movie walking Out was you play with your balls a lot. I do not play with my balls. He says, you need more, you need more, bird, you need more ball handling in and out and let them Larry Bird doesn't a night, which I liked that great. I watched it with my four year olds on oscar last night. I said, just watch at a little Boston cell expands. I said, watch have a little Larry Bird joke, and then he said do you know what I want? And next and then John Kenny replies, and the extra set of balls and some more fingers, which.
Speaker 5: Is just and again it just goes to show the chemistry of those two because I can't really see any other combination sort of working as well it works physically.
Speaker 1: Their chemistry is amazed. It's the first time I think they'd worked together, and it just seems so natural. You can't see the writing, even though there are clearly jokes. Yes, you cannot see.
Speaker 5: The one of my favorite things. And I'm not sure if it was in the script. It sounds like it was because everything that I'm like, well maybe it was like improv. It's like been thought about. Is when the car's on fire and they're kind of like just fully realizing that, or like the car maybe they've pulled over, it's not on fire yet, and they've just got out of that scene where they were going to get hit by the two trucks and they're on the side of the highway and Steve Martin or Neil says something like, you know you've done this. I can't believe you did He did it, and it's like and he starts talking to like the universe, being like can you believe it? Yeah, and that bit I'm just like, that's a bit I love. I'm just like, that's so good.
Speaker 1: Well it's the physical, the really physical Steve Martin and then the punch to the gut and then falling over because Neil never wins, even though Neil he deserves to punch down because what he's actually done, he doesn't actually win because he gets the trips over there. So they go back to the hotel room. They're not really you know, the car is it's a shell of a car. Somehow it's still running. But they go back and Neil's had enough. He's cutting deal out and that negotiation, the reception about the credit card and the watch, and then Dell office his Cassio's eight bucks and this.
Speaker 5: Which can I just say the tables have turned. I feel that in today economy, especially in the north of Melbourne, they'd be like, oh, my god, a Cassio, Yes, you can have the chairman suite. It is that's prime economy these days.
Speaker 1: You are absolutely right. And then so we have Dale sitting out in the snow and it is heartbreaking.
Speaker 5: Like you know, it's just so good. And even before that, I want, can we also just take a time to appreciate that when they're driving the car, the shell of the car that's been on fire and both of them like have their fingers stuck to it like it's been melted to the actually like like releasing themselves from this.
Speaker 1: Car, the steering wheels being bent over.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's so good. But just seeing him like sitting there in the car, it starts snowing and he just looks so sad. And that's when he starts talking to his wife. Yeah, and it's just that moment of Okay, there are reasons. There are reasons for this. They were like, this is the confirmation that Dell is lonely and he's done it. He's and he's talking to his wife and it's like, oh, well, I've done it again, Like you always said I was this and I am like unfortunately, I'm trying to make a friend.
Speaker 1: And so where were your instincts here because you were your spider sensors were up early on. Were you like, were you feeling validated? And oh, yes, this is confirmed.
Speaker 5: Extremely smug, extremely smug at this stage, but then also sad because I was like, I was like, ah, I knew it, and then I was like, oh, this is really sad. This is quite poignant. Now he's just trying to be loved because he's lost the love of his life. Yes, and so he's trying to find that somewhere else. And I mean, for better or worse, he's chosen Neil to give that to him. Yeah, which it's just is just I mean, your choice is dell your choices.
Speaker 1: Well, they invited me. I really love the scene where they're drinking. They're drinking the mini bar, and because you do see them both having fun, Neil has let his guard down. And I think it's important you need you need this scene in the movie in the same way, you know, it's important that you have Neil go off by himself for to test himself, by himself and the audience. We need to know that these two need to accomplish this. They need each other, yes, to you know, achieve the goal and it's a beautiful scene. And let's have a little listen to again Dell talking about his wife.
Speaker 8: You know what, I'm dead and buried. I'm gonna have around here to prove that I was here with some shower curtain rings that didn't fall down.
Speaker 2: Great legacy, huh. At the very least, the absolute minimum. Okat a woman you love to grow old with?
Speaker 1: Right, you love her?
Speaker 2: Don't you? Love is not a big enough word. It's not a big enough word for oh I feel about my wife. To the wives.
Speaker 1: To the wives, Wow, m hmm. So you're you're really you are You're high five of yourself at this point.
Speaker 5: Well I was, but at the same time, and I've just picked it up. Then it's like again the score is so effective because the song that they're listening to there, it's like take me home, like back home, And I was like, I completely missed that the first time. But even that, like that's so lovely, and I mean it just goes to show how cynical and and I hold grudges because it was like to the wives. I remember when I was watching it and I was like, not your wife, not your wife.
Speaker 1: Neil, No, Susan Page just really rubbed you up the wrong one look the word and.
Speaker 5: The character named Voldemort was tossed around. I was like, why does he want to keep coming back to this Voldemort to character I don't understand, Like stay with Dell.
Speaker 1: That is so funny. Yeah I I I just I love that. So we kind of like this signifies I think they're they're back together. They are a team. And then they basically they they had the great thing where they reverse into the th the whole gup together and they make a quick getaway. And again there's the effortless delivery of these lines. When John Candy's talking about you know, his is like a whopper and he's fitness Like my I looked there with my he was laughing and my kids aren't big laugh out loud as the movies that you know, these smile their way through stuff.
Speaker 5: And again with the success of this film's humor is that it is unexpected because for the majority of it, I would say it's like it's it's pretty melancholic, like it's like, oh yeah, this is this is you know, jetting along. But then when the laughs are there, they don't miss and you're like laughing out loud. It's not like a yeah, it's a no. No, that was that was good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean the seeing the freeway. There's almost two parts of that, isn't there. There's the the what happens at the end, but it's also the going the wrong way. I mean that as well, you're going the wrong way. He's drunk. How does he know where we're going?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how does he know? I just I love that so much. So there's a lovely appearance from Michael Keane as the copy pulls them over, which apparently again was longer, but it was short.
Speaker 5: And he come with the cameos. The cameo because there's yeah, as you said, there's so many of them, but that each of them are effective, yes, even though they're very short.
Speaker 1: And the rental woman, we should point out that we mentioned before she was in Forrest Buele. She's the receptionist in Forrest Buller. And the man who announces that the flight has been delayed is the principal in Forrest Bueler or not the teacher, you know, the Bueller Bueller, that's him. So let's get to the end. And when did you so you you had a feeling that there was something going on with Nil's sorry Dell's wife, whether they're no longer together or she's gone when they separated, when they say they're goodbyes, How did you How did you think it was going to resolve itself?
Speaker 5: I I think at that stage I just was wondering where Dell was going the whole time, and I especially towards the end when it is the big reveal does happen? I was I was just there being like, why I'm still going to Chicago in the first place, Where are still going? What's happening to with Dell? What's going on? So I just didn't know. I was like, they mustn't. They must come back together in some sense, but I wasn't sure if that was going to be in that moment of Steve Martin staying on the train and Dell's on the platform, or if it was going to come later and there was going to be like another oh fancy seeing you here, like like type moment. I knew that they would have to reunite, but I don't necessarily thought it was going to be that quick. But we've got that resolution because I was there being like, come on, come on, Neil, like you can't just leave him with his huge trunk and all of this. And there was also a moment as a voice in my head being like how long is this train going to wait for them to board? There's a very long good bar on the platform. If I was on the train, like I's come on, let's sorry this long place. But I just, yeah, I knew that that have to come back, so you could be like Neil had to have that redemption moment of you know, taking care of Dell, because without knowing it, Dell had taken care of him throughout the whole film. Yes, but I wasn't. Yeah, I just I wasn't quite sure how it was all going to like tie up.
Speaker 1: I think it plays out so beautifully. And this is something they found in the edit that it was it wasn't written like this. In fact, the shots of Neil on the on the train when he's reflecting, the camera was just rolling on Steve. He didn't know. I'm sure there are some where he kind of maybe you know, knew he was being filmed, but a lot of them were just react things he was thinking about as they were. You know, they kept the camera rolling really because this was not part of it. I'm not sure I don't know how it played out. I think I am going to read the script the scripts on lines, I'm going to actually read the screenplay. But yeah, it was something they found in the edit, but works so good. I think they choose exactly the right moments. It starts with the family and he's just like, you know, looking forward to getting home. And then he starts thinking of having a laugh at the you know, the experiences them spooning in bed, and then you know, and then you start hearing the audio about the wife, and you kind of see Steve Martin realize figuring it out. He goes back and finds Delle in the in the train station, which I.
Speaker 5: Think is actually more heartbreaking than if he came back on the train and he was still on the platform. There's something about him having enough in him like Dell to move his belongings from the platform and just but the destination is just the station. He doesn't have anywhere else to go.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point. And I think what he said before, I've seen this film thirty maybe more times, and I've never questioned where is Delle going? Like he's on this journey, Yeah, you know, where is he going? And that's it's quite you know. I'm sure maybe a lot of people think about that when they're watching the film, but I don't know. I think John Hughes does a good job of not making you think too much about that because it's.
Speaker 5: I guess it's you know, it's the trope of he is a traveling salesman, right, and so that's that's what it is. You just probably led to assume that he's like off somewhere else to sell the shet shower curtain rings. But it's just it's interesting because the whole point, well, the whole time through the movie, you're so focused on Neil getting home, like that's his destination. That is like almost like you've forgotten that his partner in crime actually has nowhere to go. Yeah, so it's like this, it's that's the nice switch up where you're like, oh, hang on. And that's why I think the reveal works so well. When you saw it, because you were twelve or so the first time you saw it, what was your reaction to that twist? When did you know that something was afoot?
Speaker 1: Because I was twelve when I saw it. I I think when you walked in and saw Dell, you know, I wasn't putting it together before that at all. So it's hard. It's hard for me like to to really kind of like re imagine watching it for the first time and then knowing if I if I saw it as when I would have twigged. I think it's it's it's beautifully said that. So I mean, if you're not looking for that stuff, you may not find or if you're not your spidy senses are as in tune as yours. Yeah, I don't think I've spoken to anyone who's actually kind of told me that they had worked it out early.
Speaker 5: But was the emotional punch when you were.
Speaker 1: Last night? I was emotional, I said to ask, I said, how did you feel at the end of games? It was sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And that's why that's the success of this film and probably arguably all Buddy road Trip films, right it is it's always about the journey, it's not about the destination. But then there's an argument with this one that when they actually when he brings Dell home, that that's I mean, I don't know what happens after that or anything, but where the destination actually is. The whole point is because now Dell is home. Yes, it has a home. Yes, yes, absolutely. I think it's nice to imagine that there's some assistance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't thought about too much, but for at least even if it's for he's going to spend a couple of days with the Page family, it's you know, it's nice and they're probably going to keep in touch.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I So one of the things that was edited was there was a much bigger when he goes back to the train station, there's a much bigger speech from Dale explaining what had happened that his wife died. We do hear this eight years ago? I think it was but the idea that they couldn't have kids, Oh wow, that his parents and in laws were no longer with this, so it really was just him and he said, listen, around the whole days, you know, I said, I can get through most of the year, fine, but it's the holidays that really gets to me. So I find I tend to cling on to people during the whole all of those you were you're having to be the unlucky one. So it's really you know, it's I would just.
Speaker 5: Like that as well, because it goes back to what we've been talking about. Where he had absolutely nowhere to go. Neil only had one place to go but couldn't get there.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And the important thing is that Buddy Movies is works really well here is they They always need each other. It can't be one one doing all the work. You know, you look at things of Elm and Luise, you know, like it's twists and turns about who needs to more at any given moment. So yes, when they when they arrive home, you know, I'm you know, I'm usually a mess when they get home. And then reading that, you know what Susan Page is going through, so you have different feelings.
Speaker 5: Again, it's like them, but now it makes so much more sense, right because the moment in the film. And I'd be so interested to hear what your listeners say if they watch this, if they had the similar kind of vibes that I had, Because when they come home, not knowing about the storyline with the potential affair, et cetera, et cetera, and her realizing it makes so much more sense. The look that she gives John Candy when he walks through the door, the relief, oh dell, yeah, gotcha? Like so because other before that, and then how she's like there and he's there, and everyone's so excited, and then she's off in like another room somewhere and I was like, oh, Susan, be downstairs, be happy. This is what you've been wanting this entire time. It's just like your husband home. And yeah that was that for me. Was still so it just didn't make sense, but now it does make a bit more sense.
Speaker 1: There you go. A couple of fun facts before we wind up. We've covered a lot of it moment my fun facts which during it, there's a shot of the airplane, like a stock shot, and that is the exact same shot that you will see in Flying High.
Speaker 5: Oh I love flying with Leslie Nilson. I think the right way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, airplane, if you're overseas in Australia flying high, it's exactly the same shot.
Speaker 5: I loved those movies like Wrongfully Accused.
Speaker 1: I then make a guard. Top secret is the Zucker Brothers doing great work. The If you look at the hotel scene, there's a lovely little touch which I hadn't seen. I saw this because I did a little bit of deep diving. There's a print behind the bed and on the side of it, both prints. There's like there's handmarks suggesting there's been some kind of sexual activity perhaps or maybe maybe a murder horror film or horror film, either a pawn or a horror film has taken place hand in hand. When Susan Page is waiting and there's she's watching the news and it says that the flight out of your or the weather he's clearing, and the suggestion is if Neil actually had have stayed and not gone out of the airport and this waited for the next flight, he probably would have gotten home, even the delayed flight, he would have gotten home before he actually did. I think more. But all the rest of my facts have been covered. There's some fans trying to get a movement going called release the Hughes Cut, so this they shot it all. John Hughes has said it's a lot of the film's probably damaged. You know, John Hughes no longer with us, but in twenty ten he said a lot of the film is probably damaged. Now it's in a vault somewhere, who knows where.
Speaker 5: I would be interested in, of course seeing the whole thing, because there was also another moment where I'm not sure if you've picked it up but when I can't remember when it is, I think it's after they essentially destroy the motel that they're in with the car, the shelled out car. John Candy has a black eye.
Speaker 1: I always kind of thought, to be honest, I don't know why I thought this. I thought it was just connected to him being hit by Steve Martin after the car catches on five. But it clearly hits him in the stomach, and there's no reason why he would have a black eye from that. But I've never thought about that. And then I was in my you know, looking around at stuff last night that the people were commented on that and they think, possibly that is something that's happened that has been interesting.
Speaker 5: Deleted release it, release the cut because I want to know, because I was there being like, hang on, have I missed something? Who hit poor Dell? My Dell in the face.
Speaker 1: There's a lovely couple of things on YouTube. There's one is a press conference with Steve Martin, John Candy, and John Hughes when the film's released at an airport, And there's also a little dock out that somebody's put together about eighteen minutes and it's about the changes to the script so check that out. Georgie Tourney, thank you so much for watching my favorite film. I hope you didn't feel the pressure too much.
Speaker 5: It was, but you know what, I really really enjoyed it, and I think that it was so great at its heart, the heart of it, the base level. It was so lovely to see the chemistry between those two because I actually I was trying to think of like chemistry that like current modern day actors may have, and I couldn't really beat that. And it's such a shame because John Candy is no longer with us, But to have that moment and have that and see them be like that together on screen with something I didn't know existed, But I'm very glad that I know now.
Speaker 1: And that's why I think the best reason to release the Huese cut, yes, because but I don't think this film gets any better. It's I think it's perfect. But what I would love to see because particularly because John Canny is no longer with this is more of these characters together, even if they just released the scenes, if they still exists. We had Wake in Fright, which was rescued found in the vault somewhere in Pennsylvania or somewhere years after and was you know, can we do that for planes, Trains and Automobiles? I sincerely hope we can, George. This podcast comes with homework. I appreciate you doing it.
Speaker 5: Oh worries, I'm a nerd.
Speaker 1: I love it and go to morons.
Speaker 5: Oh God, what's origin? Don't understand? We don't know her this year, we don't know her.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate. Let's have a little sing along on the way out. Hey, let's say that it's a little sing along, all right?
Speaker 2: Who knows the tone here?
Speaker 4: Who wants to sing a tune?
Speaker 2: Who's got a song? You go on?
Speaker 4: Nail pages, got one.
Speaker 1: Three coins and a fountain.
Speaker 4: Each one seeking happy?
Speaker 3: You know, there's seeking happiness.
Speaker 5: Stones flintstones from this story.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting to do this episode. Finally somebody nominated Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Georgie Toney, a rising superstar. You would have seen my A B C. She hosted the project last week in my leeds absence. She she absolutely nailed it. She came in and you know, it's one thing to sit on at the end of the desk, but when you've got to sit in those middle seats and you're driving the show. It's a whole new thing, and she did not miss a beat. She is fantastic. I love hanging out with her and really loved loved her take on planes, trains and automobiles. She did tell me after we got off air that her and her partner, she's realized that she is the Niel of the of the relationship and her partner Rob is the is Adell Griffith where everything just ends up being fine and in those people and you know, yeah, so that was that was funny to hear. Thank you, Georgie. We want to hear from you at Yasney podcast at gmail dot com. Do you love planes, trains and automobiles as much as I do? Did you watch it for the first time because of the podcast? If I hear from people who I've introduced planes, trains and automobiles too, that will be a compliment that I'll take to the grave. I love this film so much. Yasney Podcasts at gmail dot com. Derek, have you seen Playing Strange and Momabils?
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, indeed, but seeing it again was a whole nother matter. Once again, at my age, you know, you always sort of connect a film with what you were feeling at the time and how But the great thing about this podcast is especially for me, but also all the listeners, I think, is revisiting some things as well and getting to hear about them from the eyes of people that haven't seen him before, and therefore seeing sort of inside what was going on, not just how it related to what's happening with you. Like for me, that scene in the motel where Steve Martin's being very very rude to John Candy. During that scene, I you know, I was I was him, I was John Candy, and I was going, oh my god, is that me?
Speaker 5: That is me?
Speaker 7: I'm annoying us talk too much?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: And then the response, yeah, that's right. So as he went through that whole journey with.
Speaker 7: Him being someone who's loud and obnoxious.
Speaker 1: I think that that scene is one of the great comedy scenes, but not just because it's funny, because of the you know, the melancholy in it as well and the sadness. It's a real rollercoaster that scene.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it so much. I really love this movie, and I'm glad that we are able to bring some light to it. If you haven't seen it, really check it out. It's it is awesome, and maybe we should get the release the Hughes cut Tunding, and then there's somebody on YouTube trying to do that. I'm not sure how much traction it's got, but I would love to see. I'm going to go and read the longest screenplay. I'm sure I can download it on the internet. But if I think it's universal, if universal have the extra scenes of playing strange, in order to be able to see some more John Candy, and not necessarily to even I think the film's pretty perfect. I don't necessarily have this desire to see another, you know, to our cut of it, but it'd be lovely to see this more scenes of these two incredible comedy performers, performers maybe at their peak, performing together. That would be great. Yasny podcast at gmail dot com. Let us know what you think of the podcast, any questions you have, anything we get wrong. We have a great community of people who are always very generous when we let us know, a very kind and gentle when let us know that you know we got a fact wrong. I remind everyone that we are our guests. Come on, not as experts for these films. It's a film. They are literally just watched and they are processing the film as they watch it. Often I'm doing the same thing, not necessarily with today's episode, but yeah, it's fun. What are some of the things our listeners can do, Derek to help support the podcast and get it, you know, get our algorithms, you know, really kind of mixing and matching.
Speaker 7: Well, the first the first thing to do is to actually put a five star review on Apple if you think it's worth it, which I think it is, I think you'll agree five stars. Just to click the five stars. Say something nice that really helps get it to other people. Tell your friends, have a little chat, drop some comments and interact.
Speaker 1: Drop an email, yes, any podcast at gmail dot com. Absolutely next week on the show. I'm so excited we have one of the absolute, i say, rising stars of Australian television. I think she has ascended to the top of the Australian entertainment landscape in a really you know, short amount of time. She is one of the judges of Master Chef Australia and, like I said, one of the real breaths of fresh air on our screens in recent years. Melissa Lyon will be joining us next week on You ain't seen nothing yet, Melissa. I like, we we have basically spoken on screen a lot, you know, in between, maybe in an interview while we're waiting to do an interview. We haven't really hung out ever before. I know we're gonna like, I think, well, I know I'm going to enjoy hanging out with her. Hopefully she enjoys hanging out with me. But I think she is such a massive talent, and she will be reviewing and not reviewing. It's on a review she'll be watching for the very first time a classic at nineteen eighty nine, a watershed film. It's When Harry Met Sally, starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan, directed by Rob Reiner, written by Nora Efron. There's so much I love about this film. It'd be interesting to see how it feels all these years later. It'd be really fascinated to get Melissa's take on that film When Harry Met Sally next week and you ain't seen nothing yet until then, Abye, and so we leave old Pete save man sul and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name