Speaker 1: Laura, come on here, we go to day girls.
Speaker 2: That is so much energy.
Speaker 3: It's my job to bring the energy because listen, there's kids in cars, there's traffic on roads.
Speaker 2: What Mitch, what else is going on?
Speaker 4: Guy?
Speaker 5: Up there?
Speaker 2: Day is blue and the grass is green.
Speaker 1: Two beautiful women sitting in front of me.
Speaker 5: There's actually three because Grace our producers in the room as well.
Speaker 2: But you just left her out of the equation.
Speaker 1: Grace and I have history, so don't you worry about that. You and I am still working on Grace and I've been there dad, that old new.
Speaker 6: Speaking of turning, Mitch, I have had a big light turn.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 6: I have had a big life turn during a life update.
Speaker 1: But I feel like we're gonna hear it urge you anyway.
Speaker 4: Thank you for begging me to tell you, Mitch. So, I never thought I would say this. I am now a full blown What am I going to say?
Speaker 2: I don't know, mate, just say it meat eater.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I before I went into the Armo celebrity jungle, you didn't really because it's a huge thing.
Speaker 6: I grew up vegetarian. I hate my first steak of my life.
Speaker 1: Not grow up vegetarian four years Laura, I.
Speaker 4: Said grew I said, grew up. I had my first steak of my life at age twenty one.
Speaker 5: Okay, I want to call your parents because I call bullshit.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to.
Speaker 6: Please get on with the show.
Speaker 4: What do we.
Speaker 6: What does a builder have to do with this?
Speaker 3: Fielder would say, hey, honey, we have an eggplant parmesana tonight.
Speaker 5: No meat.
Speaker 2: He didn't.
Speaker 6: My whole family ate meat.
Speaker 1: I didn't, and the other biggest carnival.
Speaker 2: What have we got the show?
Speaker 6: What are we go on the show? No, I'm never bringing a personally.
Speaker 2: How are your iron levels? How are you feeling?
Speaker 6: I don't know, it's irrelevant.
Speaker 2: What do we got coming out?
Speaker 6: And tell me?
Speaker 3: While you were away in the jungle, Laura and I had to get the flu shot on there. So let's take Britt's blood tomorrow on the show.
Speaker 1: From chemistry?
Speaker 2: We did? We did? Okay?
Speaker 6: Look Britt, No, I'm not finishing my story continuing. I'm cracking. I've cracked the ship.
Speaker 1: I have so much energy, and that's because.
Speaker 2: She's full of me.
Speaker 6: No, I was lying.
Speaker 4: I've never been a vegetarian. I don't mean Now, what do I do we'll never know how old people.
Speaker 2: Get on with their days. Okay, I bet you.
Speaker 6: I'll get a d M saying I need to know the end of the story. Actually we.
Speaker 5: Haven't asked, Uncut coming up? So something?
Speaker 2: What are you going on?
Speaker 5: Mitch?
Speaker 2: Tell me about you got going on?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 6: Don't care about that either?
Speaker 4: All right, Well, after the break, I'll probably talk about something else.
Speaker 1: Now we have a caller on the show.
Speaker 2: We have a caller on the show, Britt. This is very important.
Speaker 6: They need your advice or sorry, in my life, wasn't important?
Speaker 5: Okay, we can we all.
Speaker 1: Right, we apologize. No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm highly offended.
Speaker 5: Let's move it on to the caller who has the other problem, and this is is that they are in love with their friend who's currently engaged about to get married.
Speaker 2: They need some advice, So let's concentrate. Let's bring ourselves back to the problem.
Speaker 6: Well, I hope they're servants stake at that wedding.
Speaker 1: Well you'll turn up or would I was young?
Speaker 2: We will never break.
Speaker 1: Let's just go to some songs.
Speaker 3: Let's get some stake in here for Britt, and we'll have an ask gun Cut on the here at the pickup for your Thursday.
Speaker 1: It is Thursday. Let's put our therapy caps on.
Speaker 5: Ask all right, it is ask gun cut.
Speaker 2: It's our favorite time of the week.
Speaker 5: It's where you guys call up with your biggest, your deepest, your darkest problems, and we do our best to answer them. Now we have Daniel on the phone, and Daniel is in quite a little predicament. So Daniel's in love with someone. Yeah, he's in love. That's like, Daniel tell us no, but unfortunately, unfortunately reciprocated.
Speaker 1: Daniel, are you there, I'm required.
Speaker 7: Hey, I'm here, Hi.
Speaker 2: Dan, what's up? Let us know what's happening.
Speaker 7: Well, there's this girl, done each other for a long long time, and she's getting married in a couple of months, and I just feel like I need to tell her the way I feel about her.
Speaker 1: Well, hang on, how do you feel about her?
Speaker 7: I love her?
Speaker 2: Daniel, Hey, how long has she been in a relationship for.
Speaker 7: It's been four years and we've just been friends for ages. But yeah, I just I can't help but feel like.
Speaker 6: But hang on, Daniel, have you ever actually been with her?
Speaker 4: Or are these like a romanticized sort of imagine feelings?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we've you know, been friends for ages and we sort of have cooked up and spoken about, you know, dating in the past, and then she's sort of fallen into another relationship.
Speaker 2: And how long ago it was just before.
Speaker 7: She got with her fiance.
Speaker 1: Okay, And was it love or was it it was a bit of fun lust.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it just felt really natural, like the natural extension of like the friendship.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, buddy, listen, Daniel couldn't have been that natural of an extension because she went somewhere else else, extended elsewhere.
Speaker 3: I feel like you are lost in the in what it could be, in the fairy tale of it. She's clearly getting married, and that's a choice she's made. I think you can't tell her.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Mitch.
Speaker 5: I think this is just, unfortunately something you got to take to the grave.
Speaker 2: Now if I pasted a check.
Speaker 6: Let's sit in it for a second.
Speaker 4: So hypothetically we tell you to tell her, what would you say?
Speaker 2: And how would you say? But taenda law is the girl say it to me? I am married?
Speaker 7: So I mean, this is why I called it. I was hoping i'd have advice on how to all right.
Speaker 3: I can help, I can help. Ready, I'll be you be the bride Laura and I'll be Daniel. Hi, Daniel, Hey, you said that it's such you so nice to me. I just didn't think we'd talk now that you're getting married to Raoul.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't we talk. We've been friends for ages.
Speaker 1: We have been friends for ages. We have a good connection.
Speaker 2: Do you think, yeah, we're really good friends. Of course we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But don't have you ever thought maybe there's a bit more.
Speaker 5: I mean, we hooked at once, but like, I'm getting married, so no, I know, so you still remember that night too?
Speaker 2: Stop at you too. It is making me cringe.
Speaker 1: I feel so uncomfortable. I love playing that role.
Speaker 6: No, Daniel, let's be serious for a second.
Speaker 4: I think that she has made a choice and she is getting married, and I think the worst thing you can do right now is put your friendship in jeopardy and her relationship in jeopardy over a kiss from four or five years ago.
Speaker 6: Like, I know you're still thinking about the kiss. It doesn't sound like she is.
Speaker 2: Just feels a bit like, I'm sorry, Daniel.
Speaker 5: It does feel a little bit selfish to think that you would now after she's engaged, she's happy, she's moving on with a life that you would think now is a good time to dump that or her. I think it's going to be the end of the friendship and it's definitely going to probably end up back.
Speaker 3: And would you call her on the air because we could go to a break No.
Speaker 4: I think you need to get back out there and find the own love of your life, because they are out there and sometimes you have to go through some nuggets to get there.
Speaker 5: If you're desperately in love with someone who's in a long term relationship, I think you're not really friends and it's probably going to be good for your mental health to stop the friendship to kind of, you know, put a bit of space and some separation in there, because are you going to have taught yourself and you're not going to be able to move on and find a new relationship whilst you're pining over us?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Gay, But then she's going to say, why aren't we friends anymore than you?
Speaker 4: No, that's the whole point we're not telling don't listen.
Speaker 1: To Laura genuine advice. If you don't look at those wedding photos, you can't go to the wedding. No, no, no, don't go to the wedding.
Speaker 2: You can't go. You can't go to the wedding.
Speaker 5: This is like love actually, you know when the guy stands up afterwards and she's married, Except it seems very sweet and romantic in that movie, and it's actually really really toxic with the signs. You mean, yeah, she's married to his best friend and he's standing there with signs saying how much he loves her.
Speaker 4: I recreated that scene for someone want's was it toxic but they weren't marriedship I was trying to be kuting romantic didn't end well anyway, that's.
Speaker 3: Enough, really well, listen, if you want to get in touch DMS at the pickup on socials, you can go to the pickup dot com dot you.
Speaker 1: If you've got a question, we will answer it just like that.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 1: Back after this on the pick.
Speaker 4: Up, something that everyone around the country is currently talking about, which we are extremely grateful for.
Speaker 6: We did it here yesterday at the pickup.
Speaker 4: We're speaking about the absolute of domestic violence and violence against women happening in Australia right now, right now.
Speaker 6: If you haven't heard, one woman is being.
Speaker 4: Murdered every four days, and I want you to think about that. Every four days, I wanted to talk a little bit more to somebody that is in the thick of it, that deals with it every day, and that is.
Speaker 6: A woman named Nicole Edwards.
Speaker 4: Now she is the CEO of a company called Rise Up Australia that is a domestic violence, family, domestic violence and children domestic violence charity.
Speaker 2: And she was my charity.
Speaker 4: Rise Up with my charity when I went into the South African I'm a celebrity jungle. The work that they are doing is absolutely incredible. She so far has helped furnish two thy five hundred homes for women to leave their dangerous household. And the reason I say that is domestic violence. There are so many parts of it. There's so many aspects, from the physical side to the emotional.
Speaker 6: Control, the financial control.
Speaker 4: But the most dangerous time for a woman and children to leave a relationship is the leaving part, Like when you try to leave, that is when things really go south.
Speaker 2: And also often they just don't have anywhere to go to. That's the biggest problem.
Speaker 5: No money, no finances, no support systems, because all those things are taken away from you as part of this abuse work.
Speaker 6: Well, the average woman get this.
Speaker 4: The average woman will go back to a dangerous situation seven times, and that is because she's got nowhere to go and no help, so she goes back. So I want to speak to Nicole today because she's living this every single day.
Speaker 6: Nicole.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the pick Up Nicole.
Speaker 8: Hi Team, Thank you so much for having me on today.
Speaker 2: Nicole.
Speaker 6: I think the first thing to say is.
Speaker 4: What have you seen in the rise this year in twenty twenty four, because I feel like this epidemic is higher than ever. Are you seen and hearing from more women trying to get help?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we absolutely are. You know, as we reflect this last month has been really devastating for the women of Australia and as our country as a whole right because we have a national disgrace on our hands. People are hurting, We're all being very triggered right now because we know how pervasive domestic and family violence is, and people are reaching out for help. Loved ones are reaching out. You know, we are receiving upwards of about forty to fifty people touching base with our social media just expressing some concern about behaviors that they are concerned about or they are witnessing. And you know, I think what's really important is we must keep these rallies going. We need to use our words to continue to rally every single day, you know, at work, at home, everywhere. Lean in demand change, and men must be talking to men right.
Speaker 5: Also, I guess like when we talk about how this is, I mean, it's getting a lot of airtime at the moment, and people are really angry, as they absolutely should be angry. But I think a lot of people feel really helpless and and don't know where to start, don't know what to do if somebody's out there and they think that maybe one of their friends or someone that they love could be in a relationship that's abusive, Because that's the problem. A lot this happens behind closed doors without anyone even knowing it's going on. What would you say is the place to start if you think that someone you love could be in danger?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think, lean in right and ask the question, inform yourself. I think what's what I'd really like to do, just very briefly, is to speak to those that are listening right now and who are experiencing the violence themselves, and the control and the fear and their lives. You know, what we've seen across the last few weeks, is that in amongst this dark anguish that we're witnessing, there is a tidal wave of community support emerging. And that's not only for the victim survivors, but it is for the family members and the loved ones. We need to know that you know you're not alone and the community supports you. The shame is does not lie on the shoulders of the victim survivors.
Speaker 9: Of course, there's incredible services one eight hundred respect or even reaching out to a service like rise Up and we can guide you to a service in the local area. Do you know sometimes when we speak about victim survivors, I think what's also super important is that we need to speak to perpetrators of this violence. Right If you are someone listening right now and you use power and control to abuse someone in your life, you know that you are doing it.
Speaker 8: Check yourself and get help because you also importantly deserve to be happy and right now you're not. And think about the impact that this is having on your children and they don't deserve it. Break the cycle, get the help because you can do it.
Speaker 5: What about men, There's so many men who feel like they don't know how to get involved in the conversation. I think women have been speaking about this for years and years and years, and now it feels like men are listening. But also I think so many of them don't really know where to start, or what to say, or how to help. What would be your advice, I think?
Speaker 8: But like I said before, we have to lean in. Men and women need to lean in and start paying attention to what's going on around us. You know, here it rise up and as a community, we know that one of the biggest challenges for women leaving a violent relationship is being able to start again from scratch.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 8: We know that this is such a pervasive issue. We know what the statistics are. Okay, women face enormous economic barriers and high levels of poverty.
Speaker 9: There is help available and we're all part of the solution.
Speaker 8: So if we all can lean in, pay attention to what's happening around us, hold our friends and family accountable for their attitudes and behaviors.
Speaker 3: For men, listening, like it starts at home right from a real young age. I said this on the show yesterday, but I remember being raised what I feel is the right way. I had a brilliant father figure, I do have a brilliant father figure. So for men listening, you've got to check your influence. Right, if you are a coach of a soccer team or your coach of a swim squad and you've got all boys, start the conversations there, because that's when I think the seed will grow. You only know unless you know, right, You've got to learn from that young age.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and you're a dad, right, If you're a dad, yeah, what are you showcasing in your little microcosm? Because your children are watching and your son is going to go on and perpetrate, He's going to replicate, and your little girl is going to go on and find a partner just like you.
Speaker 4: If you are experiencing anything or you do feel like you need help, help is available in one eight hundred. Respect Lifeline is also available for support twenty four seven on thirteen eleven fourteen. And if you are someone that is an experience in it but is up in arms like the rest of us, and you do want to help, you can go to charities like Rise Up for example. You can help donate furniture or money or appliances. There are a lot of things to help give women and children a place to go.
Speaker 3: Thanks for all the working do Nicole. I mean, right now it's very important, but going into the future, we need to keep this conversation happening. Thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 8: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 3: Thanks Nicole, got all right, it's a conversation that feels so heavy and you kind of you want to shy away from these discussions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's my theories.
Speaker 5: It's one of these conversations that happens and everyone's having it, and then what happens in a month's time or two months time? You know, it's like it's the conversation has to keep being had.
Speaker 3: Well you look at what happened in Camber this week and legislation has been passed, right, what a billion dollars Anthony Albaneze, the Prime Minister has put into it, So about time. Well that wouldn't have happened if we hadn't had this conversation for the last few weeks.
Speaker 1: So good, you know.
Speaker 2: You're right and keep being vocal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, back after this here on.
Speaker 2: The pickup, do you know what you know?
Speaker 5: I need a little bit of like SVU Special Victims Unit music because it is time for laws.
Speaker 2: Laws now it's been a while since we played this game.
Speaker 4: We have.
Speaker 1: We used to do this when we had that weekend show.
Speaker 2: It's not even really a game, to be honest.
Speaker 5: It's just I have a real penchant for stupid laws that exist around the world.
Speaker 2: I think it's really I think it's funny.
Speaker 1: The stupid women named Laura.
Speaker 5: Not what you said, stupid laws, oh haha, stupid laws laws, because across the world there are some very questionable laws which I don't know whether they're in force or they're not enforced, but it's ridiculous. And the reason why this spiked my interest is because very recently in Milan there has been a new law that has just they tried to get it passed. They tried, but they failed. Passes off parliament. Milan, just Milan. You likes past Milan the whole Yeah, Milan. So the reason why it was overturned is because of how ridiculous it is and because of the outrage. So this is what it is. Milan backs down on plans to bear ice cream after midnight following widespread criticism. So basically, they tried to get this law passed in twenty thirteen. They wanted to stop anyone from like milling around and enjoying pizza and ice cream, specifically not alcohol, pizza and ice cream after twelve o'clock.
Speaker 2: You think Australia is a nanny state.
Speaker 3: That's what's happened in Milan is known for its yes, but that's the problem.
Speaker 5: No, they want they don't want tourists to be milling around after twelve o'clock making noise. It's not nice for the residents. And so this is the law that they have now twice tried to pass so not alcohol, not alcohol, just pizza and passed to pizza, pizza and ice cream, just carbs and sugar gelado.
Speaker 4: The one thing that do you know how many people. I don't know about you, but I'm never going to Italy again. If I can't eat an ice cream at midnight and a pizza at three a m.
Speaker 6: I ain't going.
Speaker 5: It's the only reason why you want to go, all right, Well, I thought I have a few extra laws for you here because you might think that that's outrageous. But anytime you think that Australia has a problem with all of the all of the laws that we have, you know, you can't park in place, so there's so many. But here's another one from Milan. It is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except at funerals or hospitals, or if you were by the bedside of the dying or sick. What happens if you're not smiling, Well, I don't know, but you could end up you could end up getting a fine. It's true, it's a real fine. It says when this has never been overruled. This law was brought in in the nineteen thirties, it's never been overruled and it's still standing today. So if you are seen getting around Milan looking glom also very nice city, I don't know why you'd be sad.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud for it.
Speaker 4: How are we supposed to smile when you've just taken pizza and ice cream from us?
Speaker 3: My grandma's in her end of life, she's about to take her final breath, and you smile to say I love you, thanks for raising jail, jail, and then you get one of those twats in a fluorescent vest coming up and printing out of five.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have another one for you. Let's go all the way across the world to Georgia. It is illegal to let your chickens cross the road, because if you're going to let your chickens cross the road, they have to be restrained.
Speaker 6: So how do we know the end of the joke.
Speaker 5: Then maybe this is where the joke original made it in Georgia.
Speaker 3: Maybe, But surely these laws aren't being enforced because that is stupid.
Speaker 5: Who they could be inforced, that's the thing, that's the point. They're still in the revenue raising could happen. All right, I've got another one for you.
Speaker 1: Do you just say up?
Speaker 5: I just find I just find them. No, this one's from nineteen eighty six. It's not even that old. I was born in nineteen eighty six, so flaws as old as you. It's illegal to hold salmon under suspicious circumstances.
Speaker 2: Wait, let me find it. This ficious circumstance for the.
Speaker 3: Salmon, I'd argue, then holding a salmon in general is always veryous.
Speaker 4: If you walked in here with salmon, I'd be questioning that, okay, illegal.
Speaker 5: Section thirty two of the Salmon Act of nineteen eighty six stipulates that it is an offense to handle salmon under suspicious circumstances. This section creates an offense in England and Wales. For any person who receives, all disposes of any salmon in circumstances where they believe or could be reasonably believed that the salmon has been illegally fished.
Speaker 4: Okay, Salmon suspicious is when it's so there is a suspicion if it's illegally taken.
Speaker 2: AFT a suspicious theft. Yes it is.
Speaker 3: If you missed the podcast or the show, you can podcast it on iHeartRadio. Just search the pickup and you can get it all.
Speaker 1: Listen to your heart's content. We'll see all tomorrow. Gorebares guys,