Speaker 1: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Impulse spending that sneaky little habit that's crept into your routine and even though you know it's sabotaging your larger financial goals, you still can't quite seem to quit it. Well, stress no more, friends, because today we're going to talk through our five foolproof ways to help you stop impulse spending once and for all. My name is Georgia King, and joining me as always is Victoria Devine v.
Speaker 3: Georgia King.
Speaker 2: Hello, my girl. Hello, this chat has come at a very interesting time time. Indeed, two things to point out. Retail is back open for our Melbourne and Sydney listeners.
Speaker 3: Money win or not money win, that's just a life win. I'm just really excited about it being yet a little bit more normal.
Speaker 2: One hundred. It feels normal already, don't you think?
Speaker 3: Have you been shopping yet?
Speaker 2: No, neither of you.
Speaker 3: Just the idea that I can is exall enough for me exactly.
Speaker 2: The other point, though, V, that I wanted to touch on was after pay announcing that they will be infiltrating the hospitality sector.
Speaker 3: They will be, and I've been rather what would you say, Georgia so opinionated both of those things on the internet this week about that, and I feel like it's for good reason. I feel like I've obviously been quite skeptical of buy now, pay later for a long time, and I guess, to preface this part of the chat, I don't think by now, pay later is terrible. I think it's actually very cool tool. Like when you write down exactly what it is, it's essentially a reverse layby, and if you go, oh, v, I really wanted to pay for a holiday, or I really wanted to pay for this thing I really wanted, it kind of makes a lot of sense. And I guess that's the draw card to so many people, because you know, you don't have to pay interest. You can pay it off in installments, so you don't get it up front. And I'm sure, actually not even I'm sure, George, I know for certain there are a lot of people in our community that use it as a really solid cash flow tool that is really productive for their financial situations. And this week that has been brought up a number of times because of how vocal. I've been on it, but I just feel like hospitality is one step too far, Like it is just look, it is just a bit too much and a little bit predatory from me.
Speaker 2: So they're basically saying, v that you can now like order your palma and pot and then pay later. That's that's the gist. Yet it's like restaurants and bars and I don't know the clubs. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I know that this is a bit topical because obviously this is a luxury and if it's in line with your values and all of that other stuff. And you know, Dave Ramsey, who's a very big financial guru in the US, I guess, has been crucified historically for saying things like, if you're in debt, you shouldn't be going out to eat at restaurants. And I don't believe in that. I don't subscribe to that at all. I think it's about, you know, actually paying off your debt but living at the same time and having good balance in your life. But the idea that when you're in a compromised position, you've had a few too many bevraginos George, and you're wanting to shout the girls a few espresso martinis like that adds up. And I did the maths on my Instagram stories over the weekend, and it's just it's honestly terrifying. And at the end of the day, what's an average espressi in the city, George, Like twenty bucks?
Speaker 2: Oh girl, at least twenty at least.
Speaker 3: So if we did that and you've got four friends, which is four more than I have, that's eighty bucks for a round of espresso martinis. And if you're in your early twenties, it wouldn't be you know, a miss to say that you've done that four times in a month, times that by every week of the year. That's an additional four one hundred and sixty dollars that you're, you know, tapping in a way that maybe you wouldn't have if you'd just taken out your debit card, because in the back of your mind you knew maybe there's only fifty bucks on there and you're not going to do the round of espresso martini. So I'm not saying that that's what it is. I just feel like this is a step too far, and it's just it's a lot, George.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're being quite generous to the buy now, pay later providers, because remember before we jumped on the mics, you were telling me about.
Speaker 3: Oh, how much debt there was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And that's.
Speaker 3: Look it is. I think I'm being a little bit more reserved on this because I just don't want people to think that I think that they're awful and I do, you know what summary I do, But I don't want you guys to think that I just don't have this ability to see the flip side of the argument, whereas I genuinely believe I can sit on both sides of that and go, no, I can see it's really really good, but on the flip side, I can see how predatory it is and how bad it is. And any business that markets to you Georgia and says oh, don't stress now is taking advantage of future you exactly, like they are absolutely taking advantage of future you. And to say don't worry about it or don't worry about drinks, like that's that's crazy talk. Like to me, it just seems like they're making it sound like, oh, no, you deserve it, and I get it, you do, Like it's not about that. It's more about Yeah, there's another one that's come out as well, George. It's called payoh, And I probably shouldn't be naming names, but I feel like it's just one of those things that, you know, we should be talking about this, and if they're putting themselves out there and exactly the same way we do, you know, people should be able to talk about this openly and honestly. But someone commented on one of their posts and said, why do we need to pay for food later as well now, like kind of laughing as a joke, and this company replied, Hi, they're payos for those days where you feel like going for another cocktail but not having to worry about the bill, Like should we seem not to be worried aboutout the bill like we are. It just feels like that's misleading, and we've seen it with after pay before. It was like that advertising Georgia they came out with a while ago that you I think you pointed it out or someone in the Facebook group posted it and it said brokef but strongly support treating yourself and I was like, that is not good. But I feel like that wasn't the one that you posted in our group chat was it.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't. Firstly, I hate them using the young people's language. Brokf don't touch it. That's that's rude.
Speaker 3: Georgia says, it's rude, so you should stop.
Speaker 2: It's just I'm not enough to pay fan as you might be able to tell. But the billboard I saw a v said stop paying money to use money.
Speaker 3: What No, you're using your own money and it's a slippery slope that you could easily trip down and find yourself owing more money. And an interesting statistic Georgia that I looked up because I was like, no, I'm going to look into this and actually read their annual report last year they made sixty eight point eight million dollars Georgia on late fees alone. Like that wasn't their profit. That was just on late fees. So if people are like, oh my gosh, I'm so good at it, congratulations, genuinely, I'm so proud of you. And as I've said before, it is a great tool in theory, and it is a great tool for people who are able to control themselves and have really good self discipline. But that's not actually the majority, and a lot of people who have problems with impulsiveness or you know, we had that whole episode Georgia on neurodivergence and how that can impact your spending and how you know, even being on there autism spectrum can do it. Like these people are at more risk because of tools like this and for it to be even more accessible. It just it sits really incorrectly with me.
Speaker 2: I suppose Well, they're also just praying on the like instant gratification culture that we've created, right like this just can you imagine our parents getting involved with this. They'd be like, no, say first and then go out for the fancy chicken parmesana, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, yes, it's very much looking at our generation and targeting our generation, which is not cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just feel like it's one of those things where you know, you and I talk about it and I would really like to acknowledge our privilege here because you know, we're using examples like a palma like that to me is a luxury, Like I don't really eat palmas, but it's an absolute luxury at the end of the day. Like you and I are looking at this and going, Okay, hospitality this means going out for dinner. That's a luxury thing, so kind of makes sense. But the reality is is there are actually a lot of people that aren't able to put food on the table at the moment. And I'm not, i guess, criticizing them if they go and use this for that reason, but I would assume that that type of person or somebody who's in the situation where you unfortunately just can't feed your family that week. Like I'm not saying I get it, because I've never been in that situation. But if you're going to put groceries on after pay, because that's how you're putting food on the table this week, go do it. Please never feel bad about that situation. But that doesn't mean, Okay, I can't put food on the table. I'm going to go and you know, take my kids out for dinner at a five star restaurant and you know, get a few cocktails and live my best life because it's future me's problem. Like that's what I'm talking about here. I'm not talking about people who can't afford food. And there's obviously a really big issue surrounding that at the moment. And George will probably get into that in another podcast in the nearish future, especially with Christmas coming up. But I just think that this is such a slippery slope, like where does it stop? Like this is just enabling people who are into gambling, who are into alcohol to make different decisions. And I think it would be a miss of me to say, like if I've had a few champagnes, like if I was hypothetically, you know, celebrating my engagement that maybe or maybe didn't happen recently. No, But like I am more likely to make bad financial decisions. And that's why I'm such an advocate of a really solid budget cash flow plan so that you can't muck up and you can't go into a whole heap of debt and you don't, you know, dip into your savings and then the next day wake up feeling a little bit dusty but also a bit upset with yourself because you've compromised your future financial goals. Like I am such an advocate of really good systems, and somehow if after pay or any buy now pay later system works for you, fantastic, But that, from my perspective, is absolutely not the majority. And as Glenn James would say, if you've budgeted for it, Why did you need to enough to pay because you already would have had the money in your account, wouldn't.
Speaker 2: You exactly exactly right?
Speaker 3: So ah yeah, it just feels like a really slippery slope. And I just don't want people to start normalizing these things. And it is becoming so normal right Like after pay is everywhere, like it's in our supermarkets, it's literally out for dinner, it's following us everywhere Georgia. I know that on zip pay you can actually add that to your Apple wallet, so you can just tap on zippay and go, and it just it feels crazy.
Speaker 2: My only question then, V would be like what about when people say yeah, but like people just put their food on credit cards anyway, Like what's the difference there?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 3: Yes, And I touched on this online this week as well, and I feel like you're right, you could just put it on credit. Do I support you doing that if you're already in debt? Absolutely not. I don't think you should be putting cocktails on credit at all for any reason. But I think the important thing to really understand here is that credit cards enough to pay are really different. The accessibility of these two things are very different. A credit card is regulated here in Australia. If Georgia you woke up tomorrow morning you said, you know what, I want a credit card. You have to go apply for that. You have to go and submit an application, and they'll say, gee, so nice. How long have you worked for shees on the money? How much money do you earn? What do you do you know, what does your cash flow look like? And then they might go all right, Ge, we reckon, We'll give you a thousand dollar credit card, or hey, Ge, you know it might be a bougie credit card. We can offer you a fifteen thousand dollar maximum. And that decision has been made based on your credit score and based on whether you have existing debt. And I can bet my bottom dollar that if you were up to your eyeballs in debt, especially after this Royal Commission, and you went for another credit card, they'd be like, oh, Ge, no decline. You'd be like, oh that sucks, I can't access that. Buy now, pay later doesn't have any of that regulation. In fact, here in Australia it is not regulated in the same way that a credit card is. And that is something that I would love to change. I think that you know, as I've said before, I believe that by now pay later does work for some people. Let's regulate it. Let's make sure that only the right people that aren't going to get into significant debt or that aren't already in significant debt, can not use that service, and that we are actually putting our community in a better position, because unfortunately, if we look at the stats, and you know, going back to that statistic that I gave you before, sixty eight point eight million dollars in late fees, Georgia, We've got a lot of educating to do to get people to use these products correctly. And until then, these companies are going to benefit significantly. And how do we know that that person who you know, maxed out all four of the credit cards they got approved for, found themselves denied for the next credit card and turned to after pay and then zip pay and then all the other pays because they're not regulated. Like it feels gross, Georgia, and it just feels like we are not doing the right thing by our community or putting them in the best possible position, which you know, I've kind of made our mission, George.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I wonder when they will introduce those regulations.
Speaker 3: I have no idea, and there are a lot of people advocating for this, and I would love to get behind it, you know, foot and tail and whatever else you say, because I just think that it's in the best interest of our community to have these things regulated. And I'm not saying you know, if you're listening along and you're like, do you know what they I'm really responsible. Congrats, Like I'm genuinely, really proud, and I hope that you know, I hope George and I have been a part of that journey to you being really financially stable and making good decisions and maybe using enough to pay correctly. But unfortunately, it's just not the case for most of our community. And you've got to remember, Georgia, most of our community are millennials and Gen X and you know, even younger now, which is terrifying. But we're in this position where we are the younger generation and we're the people that you know, are getting crucified for not being able to buy houses because we spent all our money on smashed avocado. Where that generation that was crucifying us as now created products that put us in a situation where we can now get in debt for a smashed avocado. Yeah, it just doesn't feel right.
Speaker 2: Not not happy about it. I think just save your money and then buy the things. You know, that's the old fashioned way of doing it.
Speaker 3: Solid advice from you there, George. Just save your money. I really like it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's simpler, there's less temptation.
Speaker 3: Look, there is less temptation. But I feel like there are probably enough minutes left in this podcast for us to actually talk about how we can minimize impulse spending and therefore save some money with some actual tips.
Speaker 2: Correct a monto. Yeah, well, okay, so back to impulse spending.
Speaker 3: The topic of today's show, not throwing off to.
Speaker 2: Pay under it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know we're doing too so love.
Speaker 2: Why do we love impulse spending so much? Oh?
Speaker 3: Dopamine? It gives us the biggest hit of dopamine. It's all based on our emotions. It could often have a lot to do with our money stories, as we've discussed on the podcast before, and the vironment we put ourselves in, but also the environment we grew up in, and maybe our parents were impulse spenders. I can I don't know. I'm probably taking a bit of a stab in the dark here, George, your parent's probably really good little savers as well, And the apple doesn't ever fall that far from the tree more often than not. So if your parents were impulse spenders, you're more likely to probably spend your money pretty spontaneously. And if they were savers, you're very likely to be a pretty good saver. Because we were taught that and we became comfortable with that, and as a human we just like what's comfortable to us, and that's usually what we are most consistent with. So another reason why people tend to impulse shop is because of their emotional state. And I've been guilty of this so many times. If I've had a bit of a week, or if I'm not feeling incredible, oh well, don't know what I deserve any dress? Or I'm just going to go to Chadsden. I'm just going to go have a look. I'll just get myself out of the house. And you might be seeking distraction or a little bit of joy, And as I said, open plays into this, and that's you seeking that We've talked on the pod before about, you know, things that could replace dopamine. But the most important thing about understanding impulsive spending is understanding why you personally impulsively spend, because I might do it because I'm feeling a bit flat after a really big week of work, and Georgia you might do it for a completely different way, on a completely different thing that I'd be like, oh, I never spend money on that because I'm just not as cool as Georgia King like Magnada. Oh no, I'm just not cool enough, you know. So I just think that it's really important to understand that your story is your story alone, not somebody else's. And even though impulse spending in your head might sound like bags and shoes and you know, going in pulse spending and you know, coming home with a million shopping bags, it can also be additional spending while you're at the surface station and you just feel the need to pick up chocolate bars or you feel the need to grab an ice cream or some chips because you know, maybe that wasn't something you had as kid. Maybe that's you making yourself feel good about something. So sit down and go When do I feel like I impulsively need to spend money that I hadn't intended on spending. So it's not like the big shopping spree that you've been saving up for. That's not impulsive spending. Impulsive spending is spending that you just feel a little bit like you can't control, Like when you see Fredo Frogs on sale and you're like, oh, get that in my cart, Like why?
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 3: I mean, Fredo Frogs are a good acquisition, I feel through a good bar, although they're not nearly as big as they used to be. Like I haven't eaten a Fretdo frog in years. But do you remember those Carameli Koala get a fundraisers Georgia and they were huge, And I remember the kids at school would bring the boxing in and they'd be like a dollar per Gigant or Carameli Koala. They do not exist anymore.
Speaker 2: It's it's horrible.
Speaker 3: They're tiny. It's horrendous.
Speaker 2: I think we've spoken about that on the pod before, pars.
Speaker 3: Have we Well, it's because we're really heated about this and I'm still pressed bring them back.
Speaker 2: I feel like marketing probably plays into why we impulse spend as well.
Speaker 3: True es absolutely well, why do people spend so much money on marketing if not to get people to spend money on their product?
Speaker 2: That's up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but brands are going to spend money on marketing Georgia because they want us to buy their product, so they're going to make it as attractive as possible, because otherwise, why would you spend any money on marketing at all? Like, I mean, there's legitimate roles for people to create these marketing campaigns to sell more of X, Y and Z. And I was watching a little while ago, because a few weeks ago, it was a few weeks probably a few months now because they all roll into one. Do you remember when Jess recommended mcmillions as a documentary that we should all want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it rings about Yeah.
Speaker 3: So mcmillions is the story of McDonald's but the story of the McDonald's monopoly, see how that game existed for a really long time and the scam behind that. But while I was watching that, I learned a lot about why they do that. And it's not just because it's fun. It literally more than doubles their sales every single time they do monopoly, which is why they continue to do it. Because there's sales double. It's flawless for them. So if you're like, oh my gosh, like that makes sense, that's marketing. That's them getting you to spend more money. And that's the aim of business, right. We need to convince people to separate from their money. And you know what, marketing geniuses are pretty good at that. That's why the call marketing genius is precisely.
Speaker 2: I feel like sales as well, are really they suck you into an impulse spend.
Speaker 3: They absolutely do. So, you know, I think my favorite word of the week, a word of the month is slip pretty slope like it definitely is when it comes to spending. And that's why we want to create a really solid foundation for ourselves so that we understand our budget, we understand our cash flow, and create these solid bricks so that we don't end up on a slope. We're actually standing on solid ground and whenever we're making a decision, we go, okay, is this in the budget? Yes? No, why am I doing this? I understand it because you've got all those foundational skills below you so that you're not you know, tipped over when something you know, he pops up in his shiny and bright instead you go oooh they're sneaky, instead of here take my money.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting. When I was reading for today's episode V, I found this thing that kept on coming up, and it was that milk is always at the back of the supermarket, which I've never thought about. But how many of us go to the supermarket purely for milk and bread? But we have to go we have to go right to the back, so that we're tempted to put all the other little bits and pieces in our trolley instead of just grabbing the milk and going. Yes, how smart is that.
Speaker 3: I hadn't even thought about the milk idea, but I did know that's why they put the lollies they check out. Yeah, there's always like kitkats or lollies, and they're never the ones on sale.
Speaker 2: Oh so true, smart cookies.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's the only place in the supermarket that I ever see a kinder surprise.
Speaker 2: I'm convinced speaking brilliant chocolates. Let's move on here. As we said before, impulse spending can be really tied to our money stories. But is it something that we can unlearn or are we stuck being impulse spenders for ever?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, good.
Speaker 3: No old dogs can learn new tricks. In fact, old dogs are arguably always the cutest dogs, so like, there's no such thing as too late. And as I said before, I wasn't trying to be like, oh my gosh, you'll trea you so much like your parents. But the apple never falls far from the tree when it comes to our base behaviors and impulse, spending is going to come into that because it's what makes us feel comfortable, it's what makes us feel maybe a little bit more protected. It's something that we do for ourselves to boost our dopamine levels that makes us feel like we are better or that we are, you know, not as worse off as we actually are. So if you have a behavior, whether it is a spending behavior, or maybe you smoke, or maybe you drink too much, or maybe you just don't want to bite nails anymore, like any habit can be reformed. But the important thing is really identifying what that is, really identifying what those trees figs are. So if you're biting your nails because you're stressed, work out what you're stressed about. And the same goes for spending. Just because it involves money doesn't mean it should be looked at than any other habit changes and there are millions of ways to change habits, like if you google habit changing. There will be all these plans to change your habit in thirty days or change your habit in twenty one days, and you know, oh, six ways to stop doing this. But I could sit here and give you a million tips and be like, Okay, here's our top five tips to save money, or here's our top five tips to stop impulse purchasing. But the biggest tip, Georgia, would be understanding yourself and your money story and scrolling all the way back in your podcast app to our very first episode on Money Stories, and I feel like we're probably due for an updated Money Stories episode, Georgia.
Speaker 2: It was a couple of years ago, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: That's crazy to think. Do you know, if done nearly more than two hundred episodes, you is insane. Those numbers are crazy. But it's one of those things where if you really understand yourself and you understand what triggers you and what sets you on fire, like what makes you happy, you're going to be able to identify what those things are and stop them. And it doesn't mean you can't pick up the extra chocolate bar at the servo. That's what makes you really excited, and that's your like pick me up for the week. That's not what we're talking about here. What we're talking about is impulse spending that is impacting your savings and you're investing and your future goals and you don't actually want to be doing. And often there's an external trigger for that. It might be stress, it might be feeling lonely, it might be boredom. A lot of people are really bored and they jump online. How many packages did we all get during COVID?
Speaker 2: Too many?
Speaker 3: Like during lockdown. Every night, I'd sit on the couch with my partner. It'd be Friday night, and I'd be alot and boos is wild and I'd often be watching Netflix and just flicking through the Iconic or flicking through the shop pop at. It didn't matter what I was up to. It was something to keep my mind entertained. And yeah, you can do some pretty good convincing on yourself after a glass of wine on the couch on a Friday night with it a dress is really cute, and then you definitely need it when you go back to what Georgia.
Speaker 2: Don't I know it? Don't I know it?
Speaker 3: But it's true? And I think that that's where you know we could get caught up in the really fluffy stuff, but deeply understanding yourself and how you work and maybe the dynamics of your relationships with not only your partner, but your friends and your family and even yourself. Like where do you impulse spend the most? Like what makes you do that? What types of stress is doing that? Are you impulse spending because you just had a really long week at work and you're like, I'm just going to blow all this off by heading to the shops. Or are you impulse spending because you're anxious or self conscious and you have a baby shower coming up and you don't know what to wear, so you go shopping and you buy a few different options, and that's what's making you feel a little bit more confident. We need to decipher exactly what that is, because it's not the same thing for everyonele.
Speaker 2: Body, Yeah, for sure. Kind of on the flip side of this, fee why why are other people so good at resisting an impulse spend? Like why how are some people so disciplined?
Speaker 3: Personality types, whether you're intrinsically or extrinsically motivated, whether you're super type A, and really like structure, it's completely different. As you guys know, I'm a pretty impulsive person myself, so I've had to implement this really rigid structure when it comes to my budget and cash flow because oh, sometimes I just really want something and I'm not this perfect financial person that you guys look at and go, oh my gosh, I wish I could budget and save like her. I've gotten to that point because I've taught myself to get to that point. But I got myself in some pretty good personal debt and I had a credit card for a while, and you know, it wasn't positive for me. And that's why if we go back to the conversation we had at the top of this podcast, Georgia about after pay, I guess it's why I'm so passionate about that as well, because I'm I know, if you'd said to twenty one year old Victoria, he's after pay, I'd be in thousands of dollars worth of debt with after pay, Yeah, for sure, guaranteed, Like there wouldn't have been any any way that wouldn't have happened. Like I was just not that educated when it came to finances. I was really impulsive, and you know what I kind of wanted to keep up with the Jones as always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well interestingly V that kind of leads to our first tip for today. I feel like we should get into them.
Speaker 3: We absolutely should.
Speaker 2: So our first tip to stop impulse spending is of course, to limit our time on social media. So a little bit of a stat girl for you.
Speaker 3: Oh stack girl's been away.
Speaker 2: For a while, I know so INNG did some research in twenty nineteen which found that over a third of Aussie social shoppers are more likely to impulse by due to social media, and admit that they would spend less if they didn't see things they wanted in their feeds. So why do the socials play such a big role here and how can we like practically limit the impact that it has on us because we can't just say quit, No one's gonna do that. You do, though, well, I'm still I'm still on there.
Speaker 3: I think that you're really good at that because I think you've really identified what makes you happy and what sparks your joy and what doesn't. And I know ages ago you went through and just unfollowed everything that you thought was you know, maybe not sparking the joy that it should. And I'm really bad at that. I just follow a lot of things that maybe I shouldn't and that, you know, do make me feel like, oh, I want that. And I think that there's a lot of peer pressure and societal pressure, and you know what exposure comes into it. It's like when you see a really ugly pair of shoes Geogia, Like the amount of times I've seen an influencer wear what I would describe as a heinous pair of shoes, like, oh God, that is that? Ain't it? Whatever?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 3: Ain't it? Then you start to see them everywhere, and then you start to know your favorite influence awares and then they're not so bad George. Then Tony Vanco comes out with a copy of them, and you're like, oh, they're more reasonable, they're more affordable. Maybe I do like them. And then your friend has them at dinner one night, and then they're in your wardrobe because you decided that you loved them so much, but you didn't really like them when you first saw them. And I feel like that's more common than you think it is. It happens to me. Not that I'm speaking from experience with that example, but it's one of those things where it's all about societal pressure and social norms and you know, feeling like you do need to keep up with the joneses in in a way, we've been exposed to this world online where it seems weird to wear the same thing twice. Like I've even caught myself in that moment where I'm like, oh, I'd love to upload that photo. Oh there's already pictures of me in that dress.
Speaker 2: On my fair.
Speaker 3: I hope people don't think it's the same event. I'm like, that's so silly. If I feel good in that dress, why am I not wearing it a million times? Isn't that why I bought the dress? So I think we really need to just have a think about why we're doing things and what that actually means. Because Instagram isn't reality. It's people's highlight reels. And I think that now more than ever, especially coming out of COVID, where you know, I think it was kind of limited because we didn't have the ability to go out and go shopping and share a lot of what people were buying or doing. Now we're making up for it, We're going to feel like we also need to be quote making up for a lost time, especially during covid And yeah, I think that taking a bit of a break from social media is not the worst thing. But I don't think deleting it and just going cold turkey is the best thing. I think just muting people that you follow, that you know every time you see them you want to buy something, you don't have to unfollow them. Mute on Instagram is a beautiful feature.
Speaker 2: Don't be afraid to mute a friend. I've done it.
Speaker 3: No, is that why you didn't know about my Instagram post the other day?
Speaker 2: Okay, Jordan, No, no I truly noticed online?
Speaker 3: Ah is that what you tell me? No?
Speaker 2: But mute thing seriously is very very helpful because then you just don't see you don't see all of the junk. But then no one it's offended that you don't follow.
Speaker 3: Them exactly, And we all know how it feels to find that a friend is unfollowed us like that cuts deep. Don't do that unless you actually don't want to be their friend anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't go too savage on it, all right, So basically our tip there is just to mute and unfollow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, solid tip. But at the same time, I think understand what it is. Yes, restricting time on Instagram is a blessing. And did you know on iPhone you can do it? So Georgia, look at my screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see it. Yep. Time What does its time limit with a little little sand hourglass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it says you've reached your time limit on TikTok for today, and you can press okay and it exits, or you can press ignore and it will offer you one more minute or another fifteen minutes. And this has been something that has been so good for my mental health recently. You can just do it through your settings. I think it's through It's not is it exces I think it might be accessibility or security or something. We'll put directions on the Instagram story today so that you guys can do it. But limiting my exposure to social media and really being aware of how much time I'm spending on it has been really powerful. I didn't realize how much time I was spending on it, and I then looked at you know how an iPhone gives you those triggers and says, oh, you've done this much screen time this week, and you're like, oh, I think I'm going to be sick. There's no way I spent that long. So I limited myself and this still feels like a lot, Georgia, But is this bad? I limited myself to one hour of Instagram or one hour of TikTok.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, that's good. That's for a day, No.
Speaker 3: But a whole day, like the idea. And obviously my screen time was significantly more than that. But the idea that I sit every day for one hour on TikTok blows my mind.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, that is kind of blows my mind. But like, you know, you're doing things. You're walking, you're on the toot, you're driving, kidding, you're not driving, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: No, but you know, yeah, I'm not driving. Okay, Georgia, that is not what we are doing. But it's one of those things that you just go. Actually, an hour is a really long time. Like I wouldn't go and just sit on the couch with absolutely no form of stimulation for one hour. I could not do it. It's not something I would But that hour would go so slow if that's the way I was doing it. But in our everyday life, it just flies by and you just don't realize it, and then my phone gives me a notification it says you've got five minutes of TikTok time left for today, and I'm always like, oh, okay, I get off then, And you know, it does add up, especially over a day, and an hour is a long period of time. So I think that even if you're not limiting yourself and you're being a little bit cheeky like I have been a lot of the time, I just hit that extra fifteen minutes, please.
Speaker 2: Extra little sneeze.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's one of those things where I'm like, gosh, I'm doing this a lot. So I do like having that reminder, especially on TikTok, to be like, you've been doing this for a while, are you sure you're to keep doing this? And I can be like, you're right, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Our second tip is a she's on the money classic, if I do say so myself, and it is, of course to put time between ourselves and our purchases.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, put twenty four hours at a minimum between you and your spending. And I feel like this is a good tip because we're not completely depriving ourselves with that purchase. We're just saying, my friend, let's just put it down if you want it tomorrow. You can have it tomorrow, and more often than not, you're going to not pick that back up or forget about it, or you'll add it to your cart and be like, oh, but I really want it. Okay, all right, Georgia. You can I know Nagnata is really expensive, put it in your cart, put it online, walk away twenty four hours, come back. If you still want to spend that money as desperately as you did, go for it. But I guarantee most of the time you won't want to do that. And if you can put more time in between that purchase than a day that's the minimum, then do that. Can it wait a week? Can it wait a month? If you really want that Nagmata jumper, George, can you wait until it goes on sale? Can you to have a look? Can you put it on your watch list? Is that an option? Do you actually need it? Have you gone through your wardrobe to check if it's necessary? Is it actually a purchase that you want to make or is it a purchase that you're just making because it's cute and it would look nice in your wardrobe. But maybe you have another financial goal that you want to achieve.
Speaker 2: So that kind of gives you more time to actually think through it rather than just acting on impulse, being like I want it now like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it really takes the emotion out of the spending. Good jinks, Georgia. But it does take the emotion out of it. And we're not saying that you can't have it, you just can't have it yet. Yeah, And I think that that will make you feel a little bit more comfortable with not doing it. But at the same time, make sure that you're really thinking about a decision, because they all add up. How many times have you seen a forty dollars top and midlight it's only forty bucks?
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do that twice a week and you're really close to four grand year in spending.
Speaker 2: Same as the espresso Martiniz exactly. Circle V. I think that is perfect place to end the first half of today's episode. But on the other side, we're going to talk through our final strategies to stop impulse spending. So please don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 3: I won't. I'll be right back after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool, Sam, Straight back into it V with our third tip to stop impulse spending. So this one is to actually make room in our budget for indulgent spends and to give ourselves permission to buy things from time to time. I love this rule. How does this help us talk me through?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, genius right, it's a rule because it stops you binge spending. It stops you from restricting yourself time and time again and then throwing your budget completely out of the window and just going wild. And we all know that can happen. But also having guilt about spendings are really good thing, like feeling bad about spending because you're like, no, Victoria said, I need a budget and cash flow plan and I've done this and I need to stick to it because they're the rules. Like, yes, be in your budget. There should be luxuries. There should be things that make you feel alive. There should be things that make your heart seeing. There should be things that are you know, gifted to other people. There should be charities, There should be lots of other things if it's you know, within your financial capabilities. Obviously we're not saying that everybody has to do everything, but if you can find some space in your budget to actually be logical and reasonable, you're going to stick to it. If I said to you, Georgia, are like, Okay, you're going on a really restrictive budget because we're saving for a house for you. You're not allowed to spend, you're not allowed to go out, you're not allowed to do any of the things that you love that would become really bland, really dry, really boring really quick, and you're very likely to not stick to it.
Speaker 2: Consistent because it's not sustainable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not sustainable. Whereas if we said, Georgia, let's just be real about this. Let's look at your budge for the last twelve months. What have you spent? How often do you go out with your friends? How much money do you spend each month on you know, a couple of siders to have in the park. Let's be honest with our spending. Because a budget should not be restrictive. It actually should be reflective. It should be reflective of your genuine spending. It shouldn't be a tool that you sit down and go, oh my gosh, I did my budget. I'm so naughty. I spend X, Y and Z. It should be okay, how good is this? I have a very clear visual of what my spending looks like. That gives me the ability to have a conversation with myself about whether that's in line with my goals and values. And you might go, yeah, you know what, the last month was sick. I did a really good month. I had, you know, a nice balance with my friends and my family, and I also saved a bit. That's who I want to be. Or you might go, oh my gosh, I saved literally nothing. I cannot believe it, Like, I don't know how I went wrong here. It's not about crucifying yourself. It's about creating a plan that works for you. And I think that so many I'm a stick out here in the sand about budgets because we go yuck. I don't want to go on a diet because a budget is often seen as the diet of the finance world, and that is not it. It is a lifestyle change. We are the noom of the budgeting and finswim. I don't know it's like this. I don't actually know what it does, but I've heard it's the more sustainable dieting option. Let's move on from that probably terrible analogy.
Speaker 2: Ah, I thought it was bad things anyway, all right? They are fun, okay. Fourth tip HEREV is to implement spending strategies like using cash for a month. For example, I did do this. Do you remember, oh you did that?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I must have said it on the potty. But it was effective. But I don't really trust myself with cash because I feel like I would just lose it, because you know, I do lose my wallet. It can be silly. So what do you what do you think?
Speaker 3: I just feel like I haven't had cash in my hands very, very long time. It is not something like I just can't think of something that I would need cash for nowadays, especially after COVID, Like I just go to supermarket, I come home, I go out, I tap my card for takeaway, I come home. It's not very exciting. But that's a really good method of doing it. Any method that helps you put structure in place is a good method. I obviously have my Budget and cash Flow Masterclass, which I think is a really positive place to be. It's a really good structure that makes a lot of sense. I know know thousands of people have now done that. That's so cooled Georgia. Thousands of people have done our masters. But it's one of those things that I know that works but it might not work for you. You might not want a spreadsheet. You might actually want someone to help you get cash out put it in different envelopes, and that's what you've got to spend, and that will work for you. I've got clients who have gotten out of debt that way, really, and that makes sense because it works for them. This is not about what works for everybody. It's about what works for you. And tracking your spending is going to be a really good way of learning a lot about yourself. And if you don't want to take a hundred bucks out and you know have that in cash, maybe you just transfer one hundred dollars to your debit card and you don't transfer anymore that week, and you just really keep track of what you're spending then and there and see how far you can stretch that. So I don't think it's necessarily about you know, there's a right way and a wrong way, because there isn't. It's about finding a way that works for you and just giving yourself access to something that works and puts you in the best position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, I guess. Yeah. What I loved about the cash thing was just that you only had that to spend so you couldn't be tempted to then go and use your cards. So yeah, whatever works for you. I like that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I've also got a friend actually who does a no spend week every single month of the year. You spend week, Yeah, a no spend week, not month, like it's just one week, and that feels more palatable. But Georgia, that adds up to twelve weeks in the entire year that she's not spend anything beyond obviously her you know, absolutely must have a central spending and that's kind of cool. It's very cool, like maintenance for her budget. She's always like, oh, I pick a week and then that's my week. You know, she's got events that week might change. She blocks it out in her calendar just as like I'm busy this week kind of thing, not so she doesn't do anything during that time, but just so she knows it's coming up. And I just think that's a really cool way of doing it and maybe managing it on a smaller scale. Because earlier this UG, a couple of us from the team we did that no spend month, and oh my gosh, that was so hard, and I think that a week I could do a week, I could do a week something that could be a really good way of maintaining our budget. Yeah, maybe we should get a little crew together for the next twelve months and see if we can all commit.
Speaker 2: It like that anyway, because yeah, I'm getting ahead of it. And it adds up to three months in total for the year that you haven't spent. Like it's that's twelve weeks. That's an entire semester of university. Like, that's a lot of time. You could learn a lot of stuff or say a lot of money, exactly right, love that. Okay, let's head into our fifth and final tip for the day, which is to think about our purchases in different ways. So the first way is to consider cost per wear, and the second thing I have, yeah, is thinking about how many hours of work it will actually take you to pay your desired item off. It's good, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one's a really powerful one. Like calculate what your hourly rate is even if you have a full time job and you're like, okay, calculated it's like twenty five dollars or twenty six dollars an hour. Are you willing to part with three hours of work for that top Georgia King. Maybe you're not, or maybe like that is so worth it, I'll work over time like that could be something that's really valuable to you. But really contextualizing things proves to be a rather effective method in helping you see that money means a lot more than just trading it for goods and services.
Speaker 2: And it kind of like, yeah, it brings that mindfulness right that stops you in your tracks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think the cost per wear, as you bring it up, is really important, like how often am I actually going to wear this? Like a cost per wear on a dress that you're going to wear to a friend's birthday party might be three hundred dollars because the dress was three hundred dollars. Yeah, but if you're like, oh, actually I could wear this to my friend's birthday, and then also I could wear this to work and I actually really love this dress and I'm probably going to wear it or something that I do and have. I think I only really talked about this in the first season, but I have recently re implemented this because the plan is as of twenty twenty two, I will hopefully be back in the office Baby Steps, but I've been really thinking about it because I get excited about fashion, but it's reformulating my capsule wardrobe. And I will only add something to my wardrobe if it goes with a minimum of five paces. So if it's the top, it needs to go with five pomes. If it's a dress, you know, I need to have five different ways that I could potentially style it. If it's a bottom, yeah, it needs to go with five tops. So for me, that has meant that I have a very specific color palette because obviously, you know things go together, and I think it's absolutely no secret that that's probably white, baby pink, and but it's one of those things that's really helped me because even if I love it and I'm in the shop and I did this recently online and I was on Queues website and I was like, Oh, that top is so cool, and then I was like, I'm never gonna wear it. Yeah, I'm never gonna wear it. I might wear it once because I know that it's cute, but it would take a lot for me to actually style that piece because it was a little bit outside of the scope of my usual style. And I'm not saying don't change your style, but I would have had to significantly change the way I was dressing, and maybe the shoes I had weren't perfect for it. So we need to just have a good think about whether it's actually a good purchase or we just a romanticizing that purchase because it just would make us feel.
Speaker 2: Real exactly and like everything looks good on the models, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, does it ever? And COVID's really really highlighted that for me.
Speaker 2: All right, V I think we're done special mentions of course, to unsubscribing from marketing emails, writing lists before you.
Speaker 3: Have got the chese on the money right now, that's like hardly ever marketing. It's usually George's random ramblings and recommendations of Michael Boubla and Froze and prawns.
Speaker 2: They are They're getting weird by the day. But that's so. Did we forget anything else budgeting?
Speaker 3: I don't believe.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I think impulse spending is something that we've all been guilty of at some point, and the best way to actually curb impulse spending is really understanding ourselves and what triggers that for us and what makes us feel like we want to impulse spend. So I know, for me, it's feeling really flat, it's having a bad week at work, or you know, something not going my way and you know, feeling a bit blair about it, and then I'll go shopping because that'll make me feel a bit better. And I don't do that nearly as much as I used to, but I do sometimes say to a couple of girlfriends, like, I'd love to go shopping this weekend because I know I've had a bit of a look week, you know, whereas other people might be doing that to celebrate, like you might have had a really great week at work and you deserve a new X y Z. So I think that we really need do you know what, Georgia. We don't just need to. We owe it to ourselves to understand ourselves deeply enough to know what our triggers are in every point of life.
Speaker 2: I think that's the perfect place to leave it fee all right.
Speaker 3: Well as always, just before we head off, we'd like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal and torrest Right islander people's. They're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the sky's all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 2: And remember, guys, that the advice shared on Cheese on the money is general in nature and does not consider out your individual circumstances. She's on the money exists pulling for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision. And we promise Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management Proprietary Limited ABN three four one three two four six three AT two five seven AFSL three three nine one five one. We'll see you on Friday next week. Bye bye