Speaker 1: Hi Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: A good pickup with Britt Hockley.
Speaker 3: And Laura Burn Brady or what our windows down?
Speaker 1: If my worries in the dust? Only good fab dog all down? I've done much, but yeah I'm not our big get.
Speaker 2: And what I want it don't matter where that goes. This is the pickup.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the middle of the week. Everyone, It's the pickup with Brett Hockey and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: Is that your way, Laura of trying to avoid seeing hump day?
Speaker 1: The week hump day? It's the downhood slide from here though, Isn't it like you're already over the hump by the end of the afternoon of Wednesday?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Could be a road question. Do you prefer the start of the week or the end of the week.
Speaker 1: End of the week. Yeah, start of the week is very intense for us from a work perspective, and then it kind of just like tape is out down. I like a good taper. Also, go for YOCHI a f afternoon. I love that as well. Do you know what I don't love?
Speaker 2: Tell me?
Speaker 1: This is probably too much information for everyone. But yesterday I ate a sandwich and I had onions in it, and I hate onions. I hate them. I hate them. I hate them. Raw onions shouldn't be on anything. And now all I can smell is onions in my microphone, like I breathed it into the soft cushioned part of this microphone, and I feel physically unwell.
Speaker 4: It was still a choice that you made to eat said onions that you hate.
Speaker 2: You could have taken them off.
Speaker 1: What was I gonna do?
Speaker 2: Take them my whole lunch onion sandwich.
Speaker 1: It permeates through everything. It really does. Once it's on a sandwich, it's ruined. I picked them off, but it wasn't good enough.
Speaker 4: We're a solid couple of meters away from each other, so as you stay on that side of the room and it doesn't come out the other end, we're.
Speaker 1: Good now, Britt. Have you seen the trend that is currently going viral on TikTok and it is parents quizzing their kids on really toxic sayings that they probably heard when they were growing up, when they were kids from their own parents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I sort of not gonna lie. I have seen it, but I usually scoop past them because the kid contents not hugely.
Speaker 1: It's not you, it's not in your sphere.
Speaker 2: But I've seen them.
Speaker 4: They're sort of like those scenes on like kids should be seen and not heard.
Speaker 2: It's that kind of stuff, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know what. I saw one of these about two weeks ago, and it was the first one that I saw, and the response was really really beautiful from the little kid, and it was kind of this gorgeous full circle moment from a mum who had obviously had a really rough childhood, who had probably heard all these things from her parents, and then she would say the start of a really toxic sentence that we probably have all heard growing up at some different points, and then her child had to answer them. Have a little listen to how this goes down.
Speaker 5: Children should be seen and happy, go accent. Yeah, okay, I brought you into this world from the hospital. From the hospital.
Speaker 3: And the other one is stop crying. I'll give you kimmy.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so sweet, it really is.
Speaker 1: It is so sweet. Okay. So I want to read you some of these other really toxic sayings that are kind of like make up these viral clips. One of them was I'm your parent, not your friend. Is the answer to that?
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't even know what the answer maybe, and you need to quiz me.
Speaker 1: Only as long as you live under my roof, you will follow my rules. But it says, you know, they let the kids answer it. Another one is when you get to the store, don't touch anything, which I think a lot of parents probably still say to their kids.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's toxic, breaking you bought it.
Speaker 1: And the other one is just wait until your dad gets home. Now, some of these are probably worse than others. I think the one that everyone kind of knew where it was going was I'll give you something to cry about. One of the things that I have loved so deeply about becoming a mum is how much it can heal your inner child. How you get to parent in a way that maybe wasn't exactly how you were parented, or you learned from the lessons. And I tried to do this with my kids. I didn't get the same outcome. Unfortunately. Now they didn't know the toxic sentences. But I asked Lola. She understood the assignment. I asked Lola things like I brought you into this world and she would say so that you can love me, or so that kids can be loved. It was very sweet. And I asked Marley the same ones, and I said, I brought you into this world, and she said to buy me toys.
Speaker 2: So good Onie.
Speaker 1: I really had a bit of a back that kind of like spun around on me. But I think it's really beautiful that sometimes we see these trends and TikTok things and usually they're exploiting kids, and this one just was a really beautiful, feel good moment.
Speaker 4: I mean, I totally get some of those scenes that they're problematic, but there are some of them that I'm like, that's fine, Like I.
Speaker 2: Don't see the big deal.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's because I grew up in a safe, loving home and so when they were said to me, they weren't said with any maliciousness or violence or anger. I understand it's probably dependent on the home that you've grown up in.
Speaker 1: But I think your parents would have said children should be seen and not heard them.
Speaker 4: They did say that the mom had four kids about eighteen months apart, each single one and get.
Speaker 1: Out of this hour, But she would.
Speaker 4: Say it more like she would I never say it as if we weren't allowed to speak, but it was definitely a saying that was thrown around.
Speaker 2: Hey if we were interrupting, Hey kids, did it be see not heard?
Speaker 4: But it was more of a I don't want to say in Jess, but Mum would have also said way too father gets home. But that was more because we took the piece a little bit with Mum, like we pulled one over it. And it was more because Dad.
Speaker 2: Was a disciplinarian.
Speaker 4: We weren't like a smacking family or anything, but you just knew that, like Dad was the one that set the.
Speaker 2: Rules, so we could sort of like poor Mum when I look.
Speaker 4: Back, like you're like, we really tort it, like we were hard on her.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Some of these are way worse than others. I don't think any kids should ever know the ending of a sentence. I brought you into this world so I can take you out of it.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I'm saying. Some of them I totally get.
Speaker 4: Others, I'm like, we're being a bit like too much with it, you know, cotton drawl.
Speaker 1: Well, I just thought it was a really feel like nice, feel good and maybe if you guys want to check it out you can do it with your own kids and see how well your parents now.
Speaker 4: Laura, I feel like you're gonna have a story off the back of this. But there's a video that came up on my feed that had been absolutely hysterics. I do want to preface this by saying I believed it at the start.
Speaker 2: I had to go and do a deep dive to find out it was a print call.
Speaker 4: But it's this five year old Irish girl that calls the demolition company in Ireland to knock a school down.
Speaker 2: Have a listened to this?
Speaker 6: Hello, how are you?
Speaker 3: My name's Becky.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have a proposal for you. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Are you the demolition man?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: He is the top boss, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 6: What's the guy?
Speaker 4: Hello?
Speaker 3: I want you to help me destroy my school.
Speaker 2: Do you want to blow it up?
Speaker 3: Couldn't blow it up? Or knock it down?
Speaker 2: Whatever whatever you want done, and you just.
Speaker 3: Make sure that they're all in the building when.
Speaker 2: You knock it down, you put all their names on us.
Speaker 1: I give you a.
Speaker 4: Brilliant It's like a ten minute call where she's saying, like, my teachers, make me do your homework, knock the school down. The demolition company is in like absolute hysterics. But it made me think, have your kids ever done this where they they've called someone accidentally?
Speaker 2: Or they.
Speaker 1: Like they're not that age, Like they're not at an age where they can give Yeah, but five is not old enough to be like, do you know what, I'm gonna call a demolition company and get them to knock the school down. I also don't think it. I don't they're they're filled with that much hatred. But look, I do think their kids do things with phones and they'll they'll call people, but they don't always understand the repercussions of what they're doing. We had one instance about six months ago, so Marley would have just been five or five and a half, and she was with her cousins and they were playing on a payphone. Her cousins are all similar age, and I was like, what are they doing? And I could see that they were laughing really hard about it, and I was like, oh, I don't like that. I walked over and they just called Triple zero and someone had answered the phone, and I obviously I gave them the full schooling on why that was so problematic, and she was so upset because she didn't really understand what it was that she'd done, Like she had no comprehension about the magnitude of why that's a problem. Funny. No, she literally they just pressed some buttons and then someone answered it and they you know, and she was like, it's the police, Like she didn't know what was going on. But like I remember being a kid and doing prank calls and thinking I was so funny. I'd call my neighbor, I'd pretend to be someone really confused olga.
Speaker 2: At the time, prank calls gave me anxiety.
Speaker 4: I couldn't do them. I couldn't even do a knock and run. I was like a pretty goody two.
Speaker 1: Show, one of the yeah where one of those radio shows that can't do prank calls because everybody freaks out and freezes up. No, it's true. Well, look, actually we've got some calls coming through, speaking of nat, who did your kids call?
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness. It was the most traumatic experience.
Speaker 1: Of my adult life.
Speaker 6: I think had at the time six and a half year old daughter, and you know, hashtag mom life. I hadn't been in the working game for a while, and I finally got a gig for this new job, and the first thing they asked me to do was a FaceTime call with about seven or eight other people, the HR team, the CEOs, the bosses, like, there's some well known people here in the mix who are like in the spotlight. I'll just say that I want to give their names up. But they had the FaceTime call. Everything was great. And then later that day I actually went out and left the kid at home with her dad, and she asked if she could FaceTime all of her cousins and I said, not a problem. It's the group call, the last group call on the iPad, and I had my phone obviously, and that was fine. And then I got home and my daughter said, Mommy, I spoke to a really funny man on FaceTime today. And I said, what do you mean? What do you mean he spoke to a really funny She goes when I called my cousins, and I was like, was it your uncle?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: What do you mean? And I had a look, and to my shock and horror, she had FaceTime that entire last work meeting call. And the person that she'd FaceTime who answered was the CEO, the BO and the call went for eight minutes.
Speaker 4: Why was he.
Speaker 1: Spending eight minutes of his day talking to a step old.
Speaker 6: To this day, we have not addressed the elephant in the room. I have not discussed this with my bosses. My child can't articulate what was said, and just this mystery, and I'm happy for it to stay there because I don't know what happened in that eight minutes, but it was truly horrifying.
Speaker 1: That is hilarious. Also, like why would you just be like you got the wrong number, sweeting.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was like, go get your mom, because it would have come up with your name. Two to eight.
Speaker 1: Minutes, that's a full converse. That's longer than I speak to my own mother on the phone. Like that's a long time, My god, Thanks Mat. We've also got back on the line back who did your kids call?
Speaker 7: My son would have been about three at the time, and my husband was working outside and I've just kind of needed a shower, stat him on the floor of the bathroom, given him my phone, John what I had to do so I could have a five minute shower in peace. And then my husband comes running through the door about five minutes later and snatches the phone out of your hand.
Speaker 6: I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: It's like everyone's just called me. She's got live on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your three year old went live on Instagram three only you didn't even get money from that.
Speaker 4: That's absolutely dem No one wants to be shot from the ground up. Goddamn, no one wants to be shot naked when they don't know either.
Speaker 6: I was mortified.
Speaker 7: That is so not a voice call, but yeah, probably a little bit worse.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, back, that's amazing. That's my favorite.
Speaker 2: I never want to have kids.
Speaker 7: Find the right buttons at the right time to open the app.
Speaker 1: And this is my fear. Like my kids often take my phone and they like record funny videos on like the video app or whatever. But my fear is is that one day they're gonna either accidentally post something to Instagram or they're going to open it up and just like have a chat on my Like, I live with this fear.
Speaker 2: I think that this that's warranted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe she's just stop.
Speaker 4: Like that a real fear. I think something that we're all guilty of, every single person, almost every single person listening right now.
Speaker 2: Doom scrolling.
Speaker 1: Not my great Nana. I mean, she's not allowed an I have a doom scrolled in her life.
Speaker 2: Put it that way, maybe she does in heaven.
Speaker 4: So doom scrolling the idea that like, we get sucked into this vortex on our phone with no purpose.
Speaker 2: We get lost down rabbit holes of Laura. I know you like to go down the rabbit holes of goats. I like hobby or scene. We all have our thing.
Speaker 1: It's really humbling when you find yourself late at night just googling. I'm not even googling, You're just like scrolling Instagram videos of pigeon ness and you're like, oh, okay, how did I add here?
Speaker 2: I'm guilty of it. Not on TikTok.
Speaker 4: I'm not a TikToker, but I'm guilty of it on Instagram or sometimes just like pointless news, but the idea of like just say you're getting to bed and you're like, you know what, quick, little ten minutes, I'm just gonna search the interweb, see what's on there, and all of a sudden, you're like midnight two hours later.
Speaker 2: That's doom scrolling.
Speaker 4: And it's really prevalent in young people on TikTok, so like under eighteen kids that are supposed to be going to sleep early for school, they're getting sucked into these doom scrolling vortexes.
Speaker 2: I've actually got some stats for you on doom scrolling.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness.
Speaker 4: Yep, it makes us twelve times more likely to suffer serious mental health issues. Forty two percent of Australians engaging doom scrolling, so like, that's nearly half the population. Forty eight percent of all Australian adults have reported at least two sleep related problems.
Speaker 2: So this is what I wanted to talk to you about.
Speaker 4: It's not necessarily doom scrolling, but it's this new feature that TikTok has designed to stop doom scrolling. So now if you are under eighteen and you're a TikTok user, if you've been scrolling too long, it notes how long you've been on there, and it now pops up on your screen a guided meditation, So if you're if.
Speaker 2: You're under eighteen, it's a full screen meditation.
Speaker 4: This is when it hits ten pm because it knows that kids need sleep.
Speaker 2: Kids need to.
Speaker 4: Go to bed and get x amount of sleep to be able to work well the next day at school and operate on a normal mental basis.
Speaker 2: So it's popping these mindfulness things up.
Speaker 4: On your screen that you're supposed to do this little meditation, and if you ignore it and continue to scroll, it will pop another meditation up on your screen. That's like a bit more in your face and a bit harder to ignore. I'm just not convinced a seventeen year old, a sixteen year old is going to stop when a meditation pops up and says, oh, well, I better start my breathing.
Speaker 2: And get off TikTok. I just don't.
Speaker 1: I just think I love that they're trying.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's going to do it.
Speaker 1: I don't even love that they're trying.
Speaker 7: This.
Speaker 1: To me, when we were talking about this, I was like, this is like sticking a band aid on open heart surgery. This to me screams of a platform who knows that there's a problem. They know that they have created on thee. Yeah, And the thing is is the way that the content is on TikTok. It's designed for us to never end scroll. It's so short. It absolutely just fires those DOPA means and you just want to keep on going. You're like, well, what's next, what's next? What's next? So like paying a poker machine for an adult, let alone for an eighteen year old or someone younger. So saying okay, well, at ten o'clock we're going to do a two minute breathing meditation. The kids are going to flick past it and continue on. It's not going to deter anyone. It's just a bit of pr flaff that TikTok is able to say that they're doing something, which makes it sound like it's better than doing nothing.
Speaker 2: You know, well, adult can do it as well, but oh thank goodness, it's.
Speaker 4: Not forced upon adults. That is like an opt in. You can opt in to have the meditation prompt.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I do this. There's a thing. It's called revenge bedtime procrastination. Right, So when you get to the end of your day, you're tired, you know you should go to sleep. It's probably the best thing for you. All the research is there.
Speaker 2: But the engine need you. They need you.
Speaker 1: I need to look at the hobby horse and goddamn it. And then you just lay there in bed on your phone looking through and you've gone forty minutes, forty five minutes all time that could have been dedicated to sleep. But it's kind of feeling like you're coloring back some really unproductive me time I do this, and I'm thirty nine year old woman, how do you think like young eighteen year olds, seventeen year old sixteen year olds are on the platform even remotely stand a chance for this.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess we can't. I mean we can, but we can't knock them for trying. At least they're doing it. It's better than not putting anything on. They're never going to can TikTok, They're never going to put it down the gurgle completely, So I guess the next best thing. And do you know what, there is scientific proof of how good meditation is on the white matter in your brain. It actually makes a difference totally.
Speaker 1: But my thing is is if it's easy to just scroll past it, like if you have a full screen meditation, that's just another real Like it's just another story. So you can easily swipe past unless it locks your screen. Yeah, I think, and you can't and you can't do anything else.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like when you accidentally put the wrong passcode into your phone and it like locks it for a couple of minutes or five minutes or whatever. Like that really kind of would make a bit of a difference because it would block someone out, but that's not what it's doing. So I think it's Yeah, it's like a peanut pool makes no difference anyway, that does make a difference.
Speaker 2: Who are what is wrong with you? People?
Speaker 4: Don't you got a problem with a Brittany Nope, don't go swimming in public pool with Laura Ben That's that's the messaging of today
Speaker 1: Actually more so not with my children.