Speaker 1: Gooday, Peter, hell Ay you're here from You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet? The Movie Podcast, where we chat to movie lovers about classic and beloved movies they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests comedian Nath Valvo.
Speaker 2: I will have my vengers this life for the next they may take off.
Speaker 3: Never check frad life is like a box at chock Let's.
Speaker 2: Haven't a rife?
Speaker 3: No, you Ain't seen Nothing yet.
Speaker 1: Nath Valvo is a bullet train of a comedian, fast, frenetic and laugh out loud funny. Nathan has an acid tongue and is completely contemporary. Despite this, he's also warm and Tipsy's hat to nostalgia. He never forgets the suburbs in which he grew up, suburbs in which I also happened to grow up in. Nathan and I actually went to the same school, Parade College in Bundura or beat about a decade or so Apart You're Angerby, You're Anger By. Nathan was also nominated for the Barrier Award, the prestigious Barrier Award at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival a couple of years ago for a show which was one of my favorite shows I've seen in recent years of anyone's. Nathan has also started a new podcast called Thumbs Up Thumbs Down, based on a popular section of his local newspaper, which was my old local newspaper, The Diamond Valley Leader or the Dimond Belly News. It's an actually cracker. I guessed on it recently with Susie Yusuff, who was also you may have heard on this very podcast. He should check it out Thumbs Up thumbs Down. In the meantime, Nathan is right here.
Speaker 3: Gooday, I am comedian, extraordinary nath Valvo and my favorite three movies which was very hard to pick, by the way, Pete Hallier. But I've settled on The Exorcist, excellent, Jurassic.
Speaker 4: Park, Life.
Speaker 3: Times Aware, a Murial's wedding.
Speaker 4: This is the nineties, you listen to the baby animals.
Speaker 3: And up until last night, a movie I had never seen which is actually quite shocking to me is Beetlejuice.
Speaker 1: Yes, in the words of director Tim Burton, Beetlejuice is scary but not a horror, funny but not a comedy. Beetle Juice exists on its own and with a night to German expressionism. Salvoid, Dary, Doctor Susan and Love of Stop Animation nineteen eighty eight. Beetlejuice is both familiar and alien as the sweet and in love Maitland's Alec Bordwin and Geena Davis have died suddenly in a car accident and find themselves in a bizarre limbo, now needing to scare their new tenants, the postmodern design loving Deet's family Jeffrey Jones and Catherine O'Hara, with their gothic daughter Lydia, played beautifully by When I'm a Writer, They need a certain creature named Beetlejuice to help. In Beetlejuice, it's the humans who haunt the ghosts, making this nineteen eighty eight classic a whole lot of fun. Nate Valvo, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Pete Hellier. Thank you so much for giving me homework that involved watching a movie.
Speaker 2: I'm not so you've been sarcastic.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Most podcasts you just rock up and the microphones are turned on and your chat.
Speaker 2: But I do appreciate the time it takes to watch a film.
Speaker 3: As I text you about it. When we were locking this in, I said, I'll try and find the time in my schedule of watching movies.
Speaker 1: To watch a movie for you missing out on a little of the TV that you could be watching.
Speaker 3: I'll find the time Pete.
Speaker 2: His Beetlejuice, something that's weighed on you that you hadn't seen it.
Speaker 3: I yes, for so many reasons. One it is it's one of those movies that the people that do love it really love it. And if you grew up in a Beetlejuice household, you really did like on the VHS you smashed it a lot. I have a lot of memories of friends, cousins just loving this movie. And I don't know why the Valvo household never had Beetlejuice, never had the tape, never watched it.
Speaker 2: Well, the Holly household was there saying this.
Speaker 1: I had never seen the film until last night, right, So I will get into what we thought of it soon before we What I like to do is put in context your your movie loves.
Speaker 2: Yes, That's why I get you to name your favorite three films.
Speaker 1: I know it's tough, so hard, and there's always in some apologies and feel free to throw a few in, but let's talk The Exorcist.
Speaker 3: Yes, scary, it's absolutely shit scary.
Speaker 2: When did you watch it quite young? Do you know what my.
Speaker 3: Parents were doing there? There's two horror movies that have really stayed with me for my entire life, The Exorcist and It the Original. It yes, that that scarred a whole generation of most of us. I still can't look at a drain comfortably.
Speaker 2: Clowns.
Speaker 3: Clowns, that's a fine interesting.
Speaker 2: Clowns are fine, but it's the drain.
Speaker 3: It's the drains before we get into the exos. I have to do it because I was tossing and turning in my bed last night. Peter Hawley, are about this bloody top three?
Speaker 2: I'd have to quickly what are the apologies?
Speaker 3: Are the apologies? If you made one of these films? I apologize you weren't. In my final Top three, Psycho, a League of their own death becomes her matrix, Home Alone, Wizard of Oz, Sixth Sense, Godfather, Rocky Horror, Silence of the Lamps.
Speaker 1: That's all we have time for. What that becomes her is like, this's got connection. I guess to beetle Juice.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it surreal?
Speaker 3: It's over the top. It's weird, bad effects that you don't know were done bad on purpose. It's yeah, it's stupid and over the top. But yeah, but the if you want to kick off right there with the links. The reason it's weird for me that I haven't seen Beetlejuice is Tim Burton has made two movies that I absolutely love. One he made my favorite Batman, Batman Begins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Batman begins before, But so Batman begins was Nolan was sorry?
Speaker 3: So no, no, no, Batman returns. Sorry everyone, Sorry movie nerds. Shamey on Twitter, your losers. We phones are going off only get canceled on Batman forums, your lesson. So Batman Begins is my favorite Batman. That's the one with Penguin and Catwoman Michelle Faiffer, and it's just the best. It's pop, it's stupid, it's comical, it's.
Speaker 1: It still kind of takes the darkness of Batman that he made in ninety and now I think Batman returns his ninety two but it's a bit it's a bit more fun.
Speaker 3: It's just fun. It's like you're on a you're about to go on a ride. Yeah, And that's why, like Jurassic Parks, him is in the top three, Because I'm not a movie snob, much like the way I go my comedy. I don't want to think all the time. Yeah, sometimes I'm just there to have a really nice time and just to escape. Yeah, so I do love a pop movie. Yeah, sign me up to a mindless action.
Speaker 2: Do you see Jurassic Park in cinemas when?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I did. But the Exorcise, sorry, I've gone very far away. That's sorry, Pete is bad. I'm just so excited to be around people.
Speaker 1: We should say this is we're recording this literally hours before Victoria, the state we leaving goes into another lockdown.
Speaker 2: A second monck have a six weeks so where this is the last thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was very excited to get a coffee before I came in here, and who knows what's ahead of us.
Speaker 3: I've been running up and down the street, just licking strangers on the I'm going out with a bang. So the exercise The Exorcist, to this day, every time I watch it, I am genuinely terrified, Like I have never gotten used to that movie, and you can't say that about many movies made. Every single time I watch it, it is a kick in the guard. Yeah, it is so scary and so good and so dark, and even just the opening, like twenty minutes or so, where there's something wrong with her, the girl, and it's just these really long, engated scenes of her in the hospital having all the tests done, she's going to the machines, and how load it all is and how it's just really grim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's bad, but no, because I have a weird relationship with horror films, so I'm really reluctant to go see them. I'm aways, I'm always I'm always trying to talk myself out of seeing them. But I feel like it's like it's like a ride where you go and you are a little bit nervous, then you're petrified, and then you feel really good about seeing it and having.
Speaker 2: Survived it might not be it.
Speaker 1: I saw The Excess when I was like late teens, and I really enjoyed it. You know, it freaks me out enough, but I also liked it a nightmare and Elm Street was the one that I remember as a kid, that being that's that was proper scary.
Speaker 3: And you can't escape that because it gets you in your in your dreams in that movie.
Speaker 2: He visits me.
Speaker 3: Still still the reason you're reluctant about horror is bad horror sucks, and there is so much horror done. Bad is so shit. Yeah, at least with comedy, even if you don't absolutely love it, there's a little charm. It's it's watchable. Yeah, but bad horror is so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in the eighties there was a lot of bad horror.
Speaker 3: Still the last few years horror has gotten a lot better. Yeah, it's becoming really good again.
Speaker 2: Well, the where there's something like The Invisible Man, which is Lee When Now did you see that?
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 1: I love I loved it. Now, I'm not sure if that's horror. It feels like more suspense thriller thriller.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Hereditary?
Speaker 2: No, that's ton again. It's it's one that I go, I know, I know, I should watch it.
Speaker 3: That's a ten out of ten horror film that is actually amazing.
Speaker 2: The Quiet Place loved it, Yeah, I love that Quiet Place.
Speaker 3: Hereditary Get Out obviously is really good.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: Let the right one in. He's a really good.
Speaker 2: I've seen that sort of Norwegian version.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So now someone has SBS on demand.
Speaker 1: It's worth the spence fancy pays with the subtitles over here.
Speaker 2: Very quick a Norwegian version.
Speaker 3: And I also what I also love about The Exorcist, most.
Speaker 2: Of the American version, this is the American version.
Speaker 3: There is the TV series, I haven't watched it yet, is that you never actually technically see the bad gown. Now, this is going to get very technical here. With horror movie nerds, Yep, if I watch a horror movie or a monster movie, the second you see it, whoever that is, I lose interest. Yeah, And so all my favorite kind of horror thriller movies, you never really see the real spooky person. Like the Blair Witch Project was awesome. That scared pants off me when I was a teenager. So in the Exorcist, she's possessed, so you see her a lot, but you actually never see the actual devil. Yeah, and to me that's very scary.
Speaker 1: But I think if you watch any of those really great films, it's it's the case and you only realize I think when you maybe you are really watching the film, like you know you're scared when you're younger, or if you're not thinking about you just know you're scared, and that's the feeling you have, So that's that's what you go with. But when you kind of maybe analyze it or really go back and watch it again, like I mean, Jaws is the classic example that the shark you know what it appears, Beetlejuice is only in We'll get that, but he's only in seventeen minutes of the film. Yeah, and he doesn't appear for the first twenty five minutes. So yeah, that's great. Jurassic Park.
Speaker 3: Jurassic Park. How good is Jurassic Park?
Speaker 2: It is great.
Speaker 1: I never saw it in the cinema Weirdly, some you know, the more I'm doing this podcast, the more I just kind of I don't know why I haven't seen certain films, and I do I think have some reason prejudice against films that I go, oh, it's to being popular or even though I'm a massive Star Wars fan. It doesn't make sense. But for some reason I did not click with the Jurassic Park phenomenon when it was in cinemas.
Speaker 3: I don't love the sequels, so we can leave them where they are. But Jurassic Park as a movie is just you just can't beat it. It's just old school, like puppetry. It's like there's hardly any cgi. That's also why I love about Beetlejuice. Is that dinosaurs real? That t rex scene, it's a real t rex. Yeah, yes, it's a motor But I just love Jurassic Park. It's just one of those. If it's on, I'll watch it to the end every time. It's so so quotable.
Speaker 1: I think when I when it came out, I was really into kind of big historical dramas to dance with wolves, your Brave Hearts.
Speaker 3: There's dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, Peter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's dinosaurs in Brave Heart.
Speaker 3: There's dinosaurs. They did exist, unless you're some weird flat Earth.
Speaker 2: The most historical drama.
Speaker 3: It's a period piece. Jurassic Park is a period piece.
Speaker 1: You So you mentioned a sequels, which are you referring to the sequels that came out years after all of the recent reboots?
Speaker 3: Both all of them, all four of them kind of.
Speaker 1: Suck because I saw the recent ones with my kids because they were at the right age and they I quite enjoyed them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fun, hasn't there fun?
Speaker 2: They're just adding in the thing.
Speaker 3: Besides, again, like Jurassic Park, again, like Beetlejuice, it takes so long for us to see the first dinosaur in Jurassic Park, so long, easily over a half an hour before they even go to the island, And even when they get to the island, it's still so much more has to happen. It's even a scene where they sit at a table in dinner with a lawyer talking about, you know, public liability insurance. But you watch it even as a kid because you know the promise of dinosaurs is dangled in front of you from the very beginning. So you wait and you wait and you wait. And then that first opening shot where you do see the dinosaurs where they're like walking across the pond on the big oval.
Speaker 2: The oval, the hills and the range.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he like takes his sunglasses off that iconic shot to look at them. It's like, what a payoff makes that whole first chunk worth it.
Speaker 2: It is a really good point.
Speaker 1: I mean, we talk about holding off the monster, but the master filmmakers know that the audience knows that there's going to be dinosaurs in this film.
Speaker 2: They're going in with some certain knowledge.
Speaker 3: I saw the poster.
Speaker 1: Imagine imagine if we learned that there was no dinosaurs in the original Jurassic part and it didn't.
Speaker 2: It didn't test screen well.
Speaker 1: And all the comments were listen, we were expecting at least one dinosaur, so they had to go back in and put dinosaurs in a great, great selection. Muriel's wedding has come up before on this who was I will let you know at another time.
Speaker 3: You've forgotten how offensive to that person.
Speaker 2: I have mentioned.
Speaker 3: That seems to be on brand and I would love Muriel's wedding. That all checks out.
Speaker 1: When we have I think I mentioned in that episode that I think the Holy Trilogy of Australian comedies is Muriel's wedding Crocodile Dundee in the Castle.
Speaker 3: I would swap Crocodile Dundee with Priscilla gest Yes, the top three didn't know you were such a raging homophobe.
Speaker 2: That's the headline. That is the headline, clickbait. Why would I put my your reals wedding in there?
Speaker 3: Muriel's wedding, much like how The Exorcist scares me every time. Every single time I watch Mirror's Wedding, which I haven't seen no movie more, I will laugh at something new every single time I watched that movie. I will find something every time. The reason I love it the most is my favorite comedy is when it's a tinge of actual depression and darkness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Mountaincholie and.
Speaker 3: That movie is so dark.
Speaker 1: I won't go back over all the same points I made with m but the scene, the certain scenes. The mum is a heartbreak, this walking heartbreak. Bill Hunter at her funeral when he talks about giving the telegraph from Bob Hawk, he's.
Speaker 3: Just his brother out China, stand up Bill Hair's lot.
Speaker 5: You can't stop progress.
Speaker 3: It's the most quotable movie I've ever seen. If I can't type, how come I got my secretarial diploma because I.
Speaker 2: Paid for it?
Speaker 3: Don't start with me. I'll go on all the day. So, yeah, it's the most quotable movie I've ever seen. It's Australians. I think it's like half the reason why I want to get into comedy is that kind of that zone of like sad funny is the hot spot for me.
Speaker 1: And also it had that double puncher going wow, who are these two extraordinary actresses we hadn't seen before in Tony Collett and Rachel Griffis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost like when filmmakers cast people just for who's best for the job, it's almost like it makes the movie really good. It's almost like if the industry gave people a shot because they were great.
Speaker 2: It won't happen. It won't happen.
Speaker 1: No, you're absolutely right, and whether that was because you know, sometimes it's who knows. They may have offered it to Nicole Kidman. But I often believe you get you quite often when shows are successful TV or films, you generally get the cast that's you want or that you need. Now, outside of casting, you know, there's a obviously we need to cast more diverse. But all I'm saying is when you often want somebody and they can't do it, often there's a reason. It ends up being, ah, okay, we actually needed this person, So meals winning is great, great, selections diverse, and you had about a thousand apologies. We won't get into all of those, So let's talk beetle juice. Can I just point out, so this film comes out in nine to eighty eight. I'm five, You're five, a stalar year for film, I think, for Hollywood in particular and for comedy. Check out these films in nineteen eighty eight, Who Framed Roger, Rabbit, Heathers, a Fish Cord, Wonder Coming to America, Big and the Naked Gun, Midnight Run, Crocodile, Dundee Twins, Caddyshak Two, Scrooged, Working Girl, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. On top of that, there's some pretty decent dramas as well, A rain Man die Hard action film, Cocktail Beach's Mystic Peacha, The Accused, Mississippi Burning Willow Dangerously, Aisan scrillas in the Mist.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad year.
Speaker 3: That's I thought that would have been the nineties all up. Yeah, like that's a decade movie.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a decade of movies is actually one year?
Speaker 3: Ye missic Pizza. Oh, sign me up to that movie too.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's one of Julia Roberts maybe first film.
Speaker 3: I think it is the first film.
Speaker 1: So this comes out in eighty eight. It's Tim Burton's second film. He's made Pee Weee's Big Adventure, and that gives him a bit of credit, a bit of credit.
Speaker 2: I hadn't seen Pee's Big Adventure.
Speaker 3: I've never been a big pew still haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's Australia has kind of skipped that. I think as a strange have gone no.
Speaker 3: And I think it's proven to be a good choice right now that what we know about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that didn't help.
Speaker 1: Yes, a certain incident in a movie cinema google it. So he makes he makes beetle juice and he goes on too Batman and then this kicks off the tim button. It's Edwards his hands as Batman returns as Edward and then he goes So what did you think of it?
Speaker 3: I did love it. It's very poppy and silly and fine. It's definitely one of those movies where I feel that you need to have a personal connection with it to love it, like I enjoyed it. Yeah, the the opening credits with the Danny Elfman theme, that alone had me in.
Speaker 2: It was great, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: It's easily one of the best movie scores I've ever I've heard.
Speaker 1: And the opening shot where it's sweeping across that town thing supposed to be kinetic or something, and and it just and then it gets to.
Speaker 2: The model house and you know, it's kind of is it been? The transition?
Speaker 1: And then the Spider comes over and there Alex Borden takes the spider and then he leaves.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's a bit bit of an ash acid trip. Alec Baldwin's hot ass in it, by the way, he was nailing Brunswick like in nineteen eighty eight. Just go and google image how Alec Baldwin looked in this movie. It was like, Oh, he's worked it out three decades earlier, so he looks real. He's super hot on itr Gena Davis, the cast in this movie is how I never seen this movie because I'm a huge Geena Davis fan. She's in olig of their Own, one of my favorite movies of all time. And also Long Kiss good Night, which was on my favorite action films.
Speaker 2: Samuel Jackson.
Speaker 3: That's an amazing movie.
Speaker 2: It's a great one, and I think.
Speaker 3: The Bourne identity the books copied that movie.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: Okay, just can of worms. We cannot afford to be sued.
Speaker 3: One oder writer. But obviously the biggest draw card for me, Catherine O'Hara is in this movie.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you mentioned and unknew you would, so she's in this movie. It must have been around the time, maybe a year or two before Homer Aligne. She was in home alone, but there was a bit of Moira Rose.
Speaker 2: For those Ship's Creek.
Speaker 1: There really is about the wardrobe going on.
Speaker 2: It's that standing war job.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen Shit's Creak and yeah, so I love Shit's Creek and I implore everybody to watch it for so many reasons. One because it's so bloody funny. But I always say to any costume designer I meet or i'm working with, you know you're not doing your job if you haven't watched Shit's Creek. Because Moira Rose's outfits.
Speaker 3: You sound like a thrill to work with. Peter Hallett continue on and.
Speaker 1: Then others stare them down until they watch it, and then they end up finding it on their phones on YouTube. I'm still staring they watched a few minutes ago, that the whole.
Speaker 3: Series, not just the bloopers.
Speaker 2: Karen, you're cheating.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, that's so funny that you mentioned Moro because I did think that as well. The jet black hair, the obsession with like other people liking you know, the start at subsession, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And accessorizing some of that.
Speaker 1: There's a scene where I think the dinner party which she's got this kind of black glove on her kind of forehead, and she's I think she takes her husband's played by Jeffrey Jones' red sweater and now has it tied around her waist.
Speaker 3: It's it's I wonder maybe if there's some sort of deep dive you can do on the internet. I wonder if she has something to do with both of those choices that she's playing people that are very linked to costumes and outfits. Maybe that's her.
Speaker 1: I think she is a big collaborator, and I think certainly on Shit's Creek she brought a lot of that character to the Levi's Daniel and using Levy and certainly the voice and the she came up with the accent wherever the fact that's from it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: So I think you absolutely right, But she is. I just love watching her.
Speaker 3: And also that she's a villain is so cool. Yeah, because she's so sweet and my mom in home alone in my list, but yeah, she's the villain. She's need to be the bad guy, which is even better.
Speaker 1: And put together with another bad guy we recognized from as Ed Rooney from First Bueller's Day Off, Jeffrey Jones's never he's never the cool guy.
Speaker 2: He's never the nice guy.
Speaker 3: I would never know his name. If you said Jeffrey Jones, I looked it up. Yeah, but if you google him, you'll go oh him. He's in so many eighties and nineties movies.
Speaker 2: Yep, as the bad guy, always the bad guy.
Speaker 3: He's always the authority. So yes, the fact that she's in it and I haven't seen it, I was offended myself and thought I'd let myself down. So she's awesome, world's first emo. Yeah, she just nailed Angry Distant and you bet a teenage girl.
Speaker 1: And you watch her, and this is her first major film. She made two films I think previous to this, and Tim Burton had seen one and really liked. And that's way because everybody apparently you know you Sarah Jisica Parker's or the for this Juliet Lewis.
Speaker 2: It goes to one out of right.
Speaker 1: And it kind of like it feels like it kind of frames her career, like you know, this sets her off in making these kind of gothic or kind of offbeat kind of characters in often independent quirking, a lot of black films, a lot of black girl interrupted Heathers, Dracula, Hermaids, Mermaids.
Speaker 2: There's one she's actually Edwards is her Hands of Reality Bites.
Speaker 3: And I'm not taking this away from her because I am I am a fan, but she's basically the same person in like four films. She's exactly the same in this as she is in Mermaids.
Speaker 2: You can make that argument.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Casper. It's the second movie with guys. It's her in Casper, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think I'm sure she's in Casper. Casper doesn't loom large in my.
Speaker 3: Made my top three apologies.
Speaker 1: You're not doing an apology to Casper. We've got a John line somewhere. But she's Yeah, and then almost I say bookend ended because you know her career hopefully runs for a much longer, but you know she's back doing stranger things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, almost playing an older version of some of these characters.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she's great. Jim Davis is great.
Speaker 1: And of course, of course, Michael Keaton, what do you think of what do you think of beetle Juice?
Speaker 2: Here outcome movie?
Speaker 3: So as we spoke already about the holding off of dinosaurs in Jurassic Park in my top three. You'll welcome Spielberg. I'm sure he's subscribed to this podcast. Yes, it takes a really long time for Beetlejuice to appear again. The promise of Beetle Juice coming has you hooked, and he keeps watching and watching. You said before like twenty five minutes. I think it's even longer than that. I think he doesn't properly kick off, like the forty minute mark.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yes, yeah, I think he's maybe he's mentioned, maybe he's mentioned in the firstbably.
Speaker 3: Formed talking like forty forty five minutes. I wrote my little notepad here in a ninety minute movie, that's that's a pretty risky, ballsy move to make.
Speaker 1: Well, he's only in I think seventeen and a half minutes of the film. There's a few conflicting reports read forty and a half, but I think it's seventeen and a half.
Speaker 2: And only shot for two weeks.
Speaker 1: And even the scene in the waiting room which appears right at the end, they reaped that they shot that after the test audience has said there's not enough beetle Juice in this Beetle Juice movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's really great and very funny. I mean, look somethings are a little bit uncomfortable from that.
Speaker 1: Well, originally it was supposed to be the original Scooters was much darker, where Beetlejuice was supposed to appear as like a winged demon and whose human form was a tiny Middle Eastern man. That was that was the original thing. So Tim Burton hilarious, and he wanted he wanted to kill the Deets family and and rape Lidiar.
Speaker 2: So I think they made some good changes. I think they made some good changes.
Speaker 1: So I don't think the musical gets up based on that premise.
Speaker 3: No, Daddy Elfman's not signing up for the soundtrack. We need something here for this scene where he murders the parents, wants to have sex with the teenage girl. Okay, that's grim.
Speaker 1: So it's fascinating sometimes when you realize what a script was going to be absolutely.
Speaker 2: And then you know what it has become.
Speaker 3: It's His performance reminds me very much of Drop Dead Fred. Yes, very similar type of movie. Like this imaginary, crazy, uncontrollable pop up cartoon character. Yeah, I wonder if there was some sort of he created some sort of like new way to do a character don't you think he's very Genie from Aladdin, drop Dead Fred like that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely like he's and I know they consider casting Sammy Davis Junior. That was Tim Burton's first choice, which sounds weird, Like this sounds weird the first things, but then the idea of Beatle just being this kind of like showbi is kind of like, oh, you know, we're smoking and maybe you know, a whiskey in hand, tumbler, you know this making jokes and almost like you can see a version of that in Michael Keaton's performance as well.
Speaker 3: You know, he's really funny, he's really good. He's been around for a really long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he was pretty I think, pretty big going into this. I think he'd made mister Mum.
Speaker 3: He also has looked the same age for like thirty years. He's got the Steve Martins about him. Yeah, he's kind of I don't know if he was born old or he's aging well one of the two. He's just looked very similar for a very long time.
Speaker 1: Well a bit like when I write it, he kind of disappeared for a little while, didn't he, Like, yeah, a long time.
Speaker 2: He kind of re emerged with Birdman.
Speaker 3: Birdman was when he came, he was back. Yeah, but where's he gone again? He did that.
Speaker 2: Spotlight Spotlight, but I think I.
Speaker 1: Can't think of him right now, but I'm sure he's made some the written films as well. So also Dudley Moore and Sam Kinnison were considered for the role. What I like about this film at the start is just how economical it is getting into it.
Speaker 3: I have written in my little book here, no time wasting. They're dead. Within the first five minutes.
Speaker 2: They're dead. And they said to be very okay with it.
Speaker 3: Like to kill off your two main characters, which we've somehow already fallen for in two minutes because it's Geena Davis and she's just so lovable, and then they're dead, like they die instantly, and it's like, this is sick. This movie is not wasting anytime.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: And it's been interesting to see some of these classic movies and watch them again and realize that that, you know, depends what kind of movie you know you're trying to make. And Tim Burton knows exactly the film he's trying to make, and get out, get them and get out. You don't need to waste time So this is the ex happens at the seven and a half minute moment. So this is and this is the information I think we're given up until that. In seven and a half minutes, we meet the Maitland's Okay, we know Adam is a miniature railway enthusiast and hot and possibly from Brunswick thirty years in the future. And we know we know they are in love. We know they love their country house. We know it's too big for them, we know that they hope to fill it with a family. We know that they that's proved struggle. They're struggling how to kick with that, and we know the house is highly sought. And then that's seven and a half minutes. They are in a car accident in pretty innocuous that they get a dog. There's a weird barn that goes over that was odd a creek and they go through and they and they die. And then they're this in the house and just really generally accept that they are dead, which is and it's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, let's talk about how good movies are that are ninety minutes. Oh my god, let's go back to a ninety minute movie. I don't want to watch something in installments. I don't want to have to cancel actual afternoon plans to dig into something. At what point did movie makers go this needs to be two and a half hours long? When did that happen? Pete? How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really interesting point. I mean in and out movie, I mean Going with the Wind was three and.
Speaker 2: A half hours, but no one had anything else to do.
Speaker 1: And now you've got the added documentaries before and Alf that you need to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's a ninety minute movie. All movies should be.
Speaker 2: I think, I think listen.
Speaker 1: I am and like I said earlier, I was very happy to sit in the cinema in the nineties as a fifteen year old watching Braveheart.
Speaker 2: Yes Vouls JFK.
Speaker 1: I am completely okay about canceling plans to watch a movie.
Speaker 2: But I do think comedies. I don't love jad Apatow films. I really do so need an edit.
Speaker 1: But yeah, possibly, But at the same time, I like them. I like that they breathe, you know. And I but I must say, when I'm doing this podcast and I see that Beetle Juice is ninety minutes, it excites.
Speaker 2: We're very happy it excites me, and it does allow you to move, you know, at a really nice pace. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean my rule in movies is it shouldn't be longer than a flight to New Zealand. That's my general rule for movie length.
Speaker 2: You say, Peter Jackson himself has broken that rule multiple.
Speaker 3: Should Just you know, we've got things to do. Everyone's got things to do. And also we all watch movies now in mentally in installments. Checking your phone every ten minutes, you do another stuff. So let's not fuck around here. Let's just get it done. So I love that this movie didn't waste any time. I will say I didn't love as the three quarter mark a little bit of a lule starts to get a little bit repetitive towards the end, Yeah, a little bit bored before the final little crescendo bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: I there was a bit of a dip and I lacked they maybe I like a bit of focus probably, yeah, but you know, hey, he'd be interested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah I did also, right, Sorry, just another horror film that this reminded me of. I don't know if you've ever seen the others with Nicole Kidman's I have this is that's also a fantastic movie. Do we do spoilers on this?
Speaker 5: If you haven't seen the Others, just mute, go forward thirty seven seconds in the In the Others, it's Nicole Kidman and her two young children, and it's a haunted house story, and you think the whole movie they're hiding from ghosts because there's all these noises and things moving.
Speaker 3: And then the twist at the end is they're the dead family. They're the ghosts, and all the noises they're hearing are from the normal people that live in the house trying to get rid of them.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, did the people that wrote The Other Sea Beetlejuice, because it's the same movie, just done in a different style. They've just made it a horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is in this It is the humans haunting the ghosts.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are probably lots of ideas where you could go, Okay, that's a comedy. Let's do a serious version of The Naked Gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. When I see your shows, I'm like, oh, they should do this as a comedy. So I did. Yeah, I did maybe think of that movie. There was a bit of a lull. Can I tell you my favorite scene in the whole movie it was so joyful, is when they're around the table towards the end of the movie, and that's the first time Geena Davis and hot Alec Baldwin decide to haunt the family properly, and they do it by taking over the table, playing that music, possessing their bodies and making them dance to Don't Remember copyright.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: That scene is the best scene in the movie. It's just it goes for a little bit too long, which makes it even funnier because you start getting that second wave and I no one wants to hear the word second wave at the moment, but in a comedy sense, it's quite funny. I love that scene. It was just joy. Katherine Ohara owns it. She controlled that whole thing was the.
Speaker 1: Best, and Tim Burton was not keen on it. Oh one of that out and test audience has saved it.
Speaker 2: They loved it.
Speaker 3: That's a sex scene. Did you like it?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 3: The scene? Did you like? Six?
Speaker 2: Scene?
Speaker 3: Six scene?
Speaker 2: What did I so?
Speaker 3: I said sick to connect with the teens that are listening to this podcast.
Speaker 2: It's sick. It's random, it's a hectic scene.
Speaker 3: Nathe hanging on as I put my hat backwards. It's a yeah, that was my favorite moment because it was just what's missing from a lot of movies is joy. It's just it's just joyful. And if you're not smiling by the end of that scene, well.
Speaker 1: These films, if it's not fun, it's it's what's the point of this film?
Speaker 2: Could you see? Have you seen a musical? By any chance?
Speaker 1: I have not so any perfect Yes, a friend he wrote the musical, and I'm not sure where it's at at the moment. I'm not sure where the world's at at the moment, but I know it got off to the first couple of weeks, it was a bit rough, didn't get great reviews, but then people just like owned it and loved it and it was, you know, doing really well. And then it was kicked out of its of its theater by I think the music name, which Hugh Jackman, been all good for a.
Speaker 2: Couple of and so I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure where it's at, but people were loving it, which which is great because Eddie is a brilliant artist. But can you see how this will be like watching it and obviously we're doing it knowing that's somebody else.
Speaker 2: But it feels like a musical, doesn't.
Speaker 3: Of course, And I want them to remake Beetle Juice with money, because I'm guessing they didn't have any money just looking at the affairs.
Speaker 1: One million dollars. They made this film for what it is back in the Yeah, it's not much.
Speaker 3: That's not much at all. I want to know if because as I said again back to my Jurassic Park love that it's very minimal CGI. And I just do love a movie where you can tell they've built the bloody thing. That's a real set, That hand is real, that's a puppet, that's a real mansion or movie version of a mansion, even if it's a small scale one, which is a lot in this movie. I have a real soft spot for when things you can tell have been built. It's my love of the Wizard of Oz. It's that old school Hollywood thing, you know, build a set, get your freaking hammer and nail out and build it. I don't want some CGI ship because it.
Speaker 2: Can tell, you can always tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, maybe they should remake this film, but make it.
Speaker 2: They've got the musical.
Speaker 1: There make it as a musical.
Speaker 2: They're kind of hot right now because if.
Speaker 3: They made it but then they made Beetle Juice today, he'd be cg I'd he'd be completely cgi'ed.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: All you need is a director and a team that's committed to the idea of the spirit of the original film.
Speaker 2: But I think I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think you can still make it have some effects that it even practical effects that are just better.
Speaker 3: I do love it in a movie when you can tell where the floor finishes and then the fake background just begins. They haven't even got rid of the masking tape down the bottom of the bit there. I love it in a movie when you can just tell, oh, that's fake from there. You know what sitcoms you can tell when they open the front door, there's just that phony house across the road.
Speaker 2: Picture or the little courtyard. It's just I.
Speaker 3: Kind of do love that in a movie, and there's a lot of that in this.
Speaker 1: But the thing about making it like a like a B movie in a way is that it felt like it hadn't aged really, because if you're trying to make it necessary, you know, like look as like you're trying to make Star Wars, then I think it would date. But because you accept that it's a bit schlucky, it means for me that I didn't feel like it had dated that much because I knew I was watching, you know, a B movie.
Speaker 3: There's some truly horrific effects.
Speaker 2: Yes, even in the.
Speaker 1: Darley kind of dream when they leave the house, it's like that's just the blue screen that you were supposed to put effects on.
Speaker 2: They just left.
Speaker 3: Left the screen. It's like they forget.
Speaker 1: I think I saw a gaffer in the in the background at one point. I like the waiting room.
Speaker 3: The waiting room is a great idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you've got the magician on in half, you know, you have the this I think he's supposed to be a Burns victim who's still smoking, throwing up the cigarette.
Speaker 3: And then there's there's a real there's that real There's a lot of darkness in this movie as well. There's nods to like suicide and depression and.
Speaker 1: Well there's apparently a scene where you can hear a airplane called like and I didn't pick it up. I only read this in some notes, And there's actually like a real airplane that the number the flight number and time of a real life airplane that crashed into a mountain and nobody knew knew what happened. And that's kind of putting his little leaster egg in the background, hilarious.
Speaker 3: It just gets funnier and funnier.
Speaker 2: But I did.
Speaker 3: There was that moment where they were walking through when they first go to those headquarters whatever you call that, where there was the waiting room, Yeah, and that the cleaner opens the curtain and then there's there all these ghosts and dead people in a hole and he basically says to them, all that's like purgatory or how and it's like death for dead people. And that was like, what, that's getting too deep there. I was like, if you had done weed or acid, I think that particular little sequence would just really throw you off a little bit, do you know what but I'm.
Speaker 1: Talking about Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, Yeah, Well there are all these kind.
Speaker 3: Of like there's all these weird layers to it, yes, because.
Speaker 1: Even when they're in that Yeah, they're in that waiting room and they're talking to the woman with the throat slip just st smoke and the smoke's coming out of their throat and you have through the window. You have almost like a cinema of these ghouls and and and and watching it. It's all these little touches, both kind of grim kind of touches, surreal touches, like comedic touches.
Speaker 2: It's jokes kind of all the way through it, which I like.
Speaker 4: When you guys shut up and leave me alone. I've got all this paperwork to do. YouTube, come in here, sit down, get in here, both of it. The whole house was my eye. I want Beetlejuice out of the big ure. You two have really screwed up. I received word that you allowed yourself to be photographed and you let Beetlejuice out and didn't put him back. And you let also get hold of the handbook.
Speaker 3: Handbook when never us the living, we cannot have.
Speaker 4: A routine haunting like yours, providing that there is existence beyond dead.
Speaker 3: Coach coach, Yeah, I'm not your coach.
Speaker 4: He survived.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: The Jeffrey Jones character Catherine o Haara's husband is reading a magazine called Practical Homeowners bought this.
Speaker 3: Or when they when Katherine O'Hara and that very camp whoever that guy is the assistant of her who's he again?
Speaker 1: He is, his name is and he's played by Glenn Shaddocks.
Speaker 3: Oh that's he's awesome.
Speaker 1: He's great, and I look at surprised he didn't. We thought we should know who this guy is. What a great performance. And he made some other basically Chris tim Burton films he made. It was in Heather's Nightmare Before Christmas, he voiced some stuff and.
Speaker 2: Planet of the Apes. But and he died in twenty ten and fifty eight.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's one of those guys you think this is if you're watching that now, you can't think, Okay, we're going to see more of this guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a superstar. So funny. But I love that bit where him and Catherine O'Hara opened the when they first walk into the house and they open the closet and Gina Davis is trying to scare them, so she's hung herself off and they scream in fear and you think, oh, Geena Davis has finally figured it out, but they can't see her. He's screaming at the size of the closet. That's a great joke.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: It's a really good bit.
Speaker 2: There's so many great bits threat, what did you think of them?
Speaker 1: So getting back to the waiting room, so everyone, the way they appear is basically the way they died. And there's the guy, the tiny head, who I was a bit confused about. I was trying to forgure how he died. But then it's kind of explained at the end because I imagine the the.
Speaker 2: The warrior dude next door.
Speaker 1: It sprinkled some dust on him and made his heads shrink the way he did with beetlejuice. But but of course if you go by that, then then Alec Bordwin and Jean Davis.
Speaker 2: Should be wet the whole time. They should be, they should be drenched.
Speaker 3: You go post this on a forum, mate, if that's going to.
Speaker 2: Make your day's mate, if you've.
Speaker 3: Put a plug in this nineteen eighty eight one million dollar budget film, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not even sure if I'm going to release this podcast based on this point.
Speaker 2: Why aren't they wet?
Speaker 3: Anither look fair enough? I am. I'll admit I am a very annoying person. Sometimes in a movie at continuity, it really annoys me when their meal changes mid chat, or the glass of waters changed, or the cigarette is way further down than it was. I'm one of those people.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but this never caught your attention.
Speaker 3: That's that one slid.
Speaker 1: You're watching cigarette butts, but you cannot see that they should be wet.
Speaker 3: The entire What a nightmare for filming.
Speaker 1: They did consider, well, that's exactly what happened. They consider that, and they just said, this is going to be really uncomfortable for the actors. Yeah, and problematic. You could make the point that they died at at the hospital. Sure they dried them. They let the windows down in the ambulance.
Speaker 3: I wasn't this in the script, but yeah, the old lady that plays the when they do that great scene with her in the office, I was trying to figure out who she technically supposed to be, the one where they are practicing, she gives them the report about what they're doing right, what they're doing wrong.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's.
Speaker 3: Why who's she supposed to be?
Speaker 2: Like, God, no, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't come to that conclusion. But she's I mean, that's why I think it was. It spoke as a musical because you had like a lot of exposition and characters. You're just coming in freely giving information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she was one of them.
Speaker 3: She was awesome. Yeah, I really liked her, But that seems that's my favorite bit of makeup and visual in the whole movie, where they're in the office and she's like, what do you got? What are you planning to do to scare them? And then Alec Baldwin stretches his face and becomes that very iconic. Now years later, it's become a very iconic Tim Burton image of that long face with the long eyes that's become one of his signature looks. I also love Nightmare Before Christmas, which he made in ninety two ninety three, Tim Burton's stop animation movie that has so many of the same characters in shapes as this movie. I think you just rehashed them all.
Speaker 2: See disappointing, isn't it, sent.
Speaker 3: Him an email, I've seen that shape before. And then yeah, Jenny Davis turns her face into that big, long one with the big teeth in the big tongue. That's sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really I really loved it.
Speaker 1: And again, like you know, it's if you did it now, you'd probably do it differently. But I really loved you know, twenty or how long thirty two years later, it's a really long time.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed it. This is fun. I know what I'm watching, I know what they're probably dealing with. Yep, it was great.
Speaker 1: There was a sequel planned, and there's still talk there will be a sequel. There was a sequel that was going to happen reasonably quickly afterwards, called wait for it, Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian, and it was going to be that Katherine O'Hara and Jeffrey Jones, We're going to build a large development on some prime Hawaiian real estate. Great, and they the locals, get Beetle Juice involved to help scare them away.
Speaker 2: Bad idea.
Speaker 1: And the any reason didn't happen is because you'd be happy to hear that. Tim Burton was committed to Batman returns.
Speaker 3: There we Go, which is also certain Hawaii, which.
Speaker 2: Is quite WHI everybody knows.
Speaker 3: It's like a real nineties thing, isn't it. Sitcoms used to go to Hawaii. Yeah, Like it was always like.
Speaker 1: You had you had you having happy days and Brady Bunch famously that's where Phonsie jumped the shark, which became a famous expression.
Speaker 2: And then that's.
Speaker 1: Where Peter Bray all the Bradies got cursed because they.
Speaker 3: Found like this is a crossover with Beetle Juice.
Speaker 2: Possibly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So I remember Full House went to Disneyland.
Speaker 1: No, okay, do you remember Family Tires going to England? And do you remember Facts of Life down Under?
Speaker 3: Do you remember when Hey Hay went where'd they go again?
Speaker 2: To the Los Angeles and Want of Brother Studios?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Out with mel Gibson making lethal weapon? Yes, I do, Well, there we go.
Speaker 3: That was in my notes.
Speaker 2: But when you could have some fun with mel Gibson those days.
Speaker 3: Get him on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I was just kind of thinking it's it's good. You know, people will listen to this podcast and they may want more of a deep dive. They just want they like the heroes having fun about it. But I like to kind of point out something that occurred to me about, you know, the way the films made, because some people might be trying to write films, and I think it's it's worth pointing out the Maitland's because I think it's a really nice part of the film, is what the Maitland's.
Speaker 2: You're writing anything.
Speaker 1: Films, you need to work out what you characters want and then what they need, and they should be two different things, right, So I was thinking about that and what the Maitlands want is they want to get rid of the family. Well, actually what they want originally is they want a family. They want a family, and then that changes when they die, circumstanced changes. They want to get rid of this family. But then what they need is actually for that family to stay. Really what at least lidly to stay. That's what they That's actually what they need. They need, they need a daughter. And it's I really like the ending. It's quite an upbeat ending.
Speaker 3: That's nice.
Speaker 1: It's like a happy family. It's happy family. They actually get what they need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and mon ownA got to do a fantasy that were all hard women with her age is she swapped her parents. You know, looking back now, you wouldn't want to do that, but when you're her age, you like, you know, you do anything to swap your parents.
Speaker 2: Mister and missus avelvo. Glad you're along for the ride.
Speaker 3: I said back when I was a teenager.
Speaker 2: And then you got lidiar.
Speaker 1: And what she wants is death because she's an nemo, But what she actually needs is love. And she gets that from the Maitland's I think it's a nice it is nice, nice touch because you know, you can look at it as a silly movie, but they're you know, these silly movies often work because they are all these things underlining.
Speaker 3: It, of course, like you don't realize that when you watch it, like this is fun blah blah blah. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he said something funny, but yeah, it's true. You're kind of like, oh, Jenna Davis. I wanted to get her kid.
Speaker 2: Jeanna Davis. It needs to be more stuff, doesn't she?
Speaker 3: You know, really is weird. Do you remember when she quit movies to become an Olympic archer? That's right, I think she won a medal. No, no, no, she was terrible without special effects afterwards, she didn't realize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I yeah.
Speaker 1: I watched m on Luise for the first time for this podcast, and have you seen it?
Speaker 3: No, I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: Such a great film. Do you remember your first film you saw?
Speaker 3: No, I'm sorry, disappointing is at the end of that? How's that for?
Speaker 2: Remember the second film you saw?
Speaker 3: Fifth and six. We'll keep going until you mentioned the fifth and six?
Speaker 2: Okay, what was your fifth you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, I don't remember sitting down go who remembers that? Who were sitting going this is the first movie I'm going to watch? Do you have that memory?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh the Pirate movie.
Speaker 1: It's some people do bang no it Yeah, some people like I think it was, and some pople no idea, right, no movies has appeared one day.
Speaker 3: I remember, like so, I remember very I remember The Godfather. Yeah, watching that when it was like some Channel nine special TV event and it went from like seven thirty to eleven thirty because of ad breaks.
Speaker 2: Well, I would suggest it would have gone even longer with that, right.
Speaker 3: I remember it being this television event, and of course my dad is from Sicily, and my friends because of this broadcast started calling my dad the mafia.
Speaker 2: Don just you know, I'm in the mafia, don velvo.
Speaker 3: I wish would you give me a bit more clout Parade College down there with my drama club crew and my dad is in the mafia would have helped. But I remember, I remember that that was a very long time ago, and I do remember watching that. I remember watching Rocky Horror for the first time, and that was on it like eleven o'clock on a Saturday night on SBS or something, and I was like, holy, my mind exploded. It was like, you know, drag and gayness. So I remember obviously Wizard of Oz. That's probably the biggest memory is Wizard of Oz on VHS, smashing that every week. So I have huge memories of watching movies really young. I just don't remember my first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I've let you down. I feel like i've let you down. I've a podcast down.
Speaker 2: No listen, I mean, I will put some music or something else.
Speaker 3: I'm taking your advice. At what I needed what I want are two different things. You know, this podcast needs me to have things to say. I want to leave. It's just two different things.
Speaker 2: You We have kept you captive in our studios for long enough.
Speaker 3: How about we staying here for six weeks.
Speaker 1: Let's just have we have a TV screen and here we could actually put some movies.
Speaker 3: On phone in the project from your phone, we.
Speaker 1: Could record six podcasts a day and eventually you probably remember the first film you saw.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what were.
Speaker 3: You born eighty three?
Speaker 1: I'm going to predict the first film you saw was a Lamb Before Time.
Speaker 3: Oh what a movie again. Look at the length of that movie. Very short.
Speaker 2: Actually you remember it wrong. It was actually four and a half hours.
Speaker 1: Nate Valvo, you were an absolute joy to see on stage and also to hang out with. Thank you so much for watching Beetlejice.
Speaker 3: It was my pleasure.
Speaker 5: Chick Chick, Chick, Cinara, check your body, Lana check check check Cinara.
Speaker 2: Check Nate Valvo. And that was a whole lot of fun. One really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned, I hadn't seen Beetlejuice before, so it was another one that was good for me to sit down and catch up on. I want to thank Derek myer Is from Castaway Studios dot com dot au for all your podcast needs. If you want to start up, Derek has a whole range of packages he can help you out and he's certainly been a godsend for this very podcast. Next week on the show, I want to announce announce it seems more grand than I and I thought it was going to be. But next week's guest on the podcast is Sam Mack, the Gold LOGI nominee. He is the weatherman from Sunrise on Breakfast Television here in Australia and I say that, and I feel like that doesn't do him justice. He's more than the weather man. He completely owns that. And I'm gonna say it is the best thing on Sunrise. Sorry Koshi, but Sam Mac has it. His weather crosses are so entertaining. Is really He's made it his own thing.
Speaker 2: He will be.
Speaker 1: Watching next week a classic. I love this film. I'd seen it when it came out. In fact, I interviewed the writer and star of at Tina fey mein Girls.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Next week Sam Mac from Sunrise goes head to head with the Regina George until then bye.
Speaker 2: And so we leave old Pete save Fan Soult and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.