Speaker 1: Hello listener. This episode is a little bit different because I'm interviewing someone from my team at Inventium, Ali Sully. The idea came about after I published my Leadership Lessons episode from twenty twenty four and a lot of people contacted me wanting to know more like how bad did it get and more importantly, how did we fix things? So who better to unpack this with than one of my amazing teammates, Ali, who lived through what was Inventium's hardest year by far. Together, we pull apart what it actually feels like inside a team that is kind of unraveling, when trust cracks, when burnout creeps in, and when even the high performers start to fall apart.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty raw.
Speaker 1: And human look at what happens when good intentions backfire and how you can start to rebuild when the damage is already done. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your date. I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imber. I'm so excited to be chatting to you Ali, because we've worked together for a couple of years and I was saying to you when we were thinking about this episode that you don't often hear podcast conversations where like the leader of a team is chatting with a teammate's experience of a time that was really challenging.
Speaker 2: So I'm really grateful for you joining me today.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: So I want to first start with unpacking the pretty hard year that twenty twenty four maybe like a little bit of twenty two three, but certainly twenty twenty four was for Inventium and I've certainly done a lot of reflecting on where I think I got it wrong. And I'm also keen to hear from you, like what were the hardest things? So, Alie, what was some of the tougher moments for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: It's really interesting because I feel like there are a few moments that kind of came together at some sort of pinnacles through the year, and I guess my lowest point in reflection I was thinking about this last night was there were quite a few people that left in a row, and because we had brought in a bit of hierarchy at the start of the year, I was working.
Speaker 3: Very very closely with one or two people and.
Speaker 4: Not the rest of the team, So I think that had its own issues that made it tricky to begin with, in that we were all working as high performers but not working together. And I was thinking about this last night, thinking about the super Chickens experiment around you know, high performing, productive chickens and how they bred them over a number of years, but they actually ended up pecking each other and not being as productive as the team that was cohesive. And I thought that was such a good little summary of where we were at.
Speaker 3: We're all just high performers, but we weren't working together.
Speaker 4: And I think when that, you know, we had a series of people leave, and the point at which my key confidante left, I guess that was a real low point for me and I realized how siloed we were in that way because I thought, well, first of.
Speaker 3: All, how can I leave me?
Speaker 4: But also during this time, but also who are these other people in my team? And I actually didn't know, you know, I didn't have the same level of trust with everyone else on the team. So I think in around that way, you know, coming back to those tough moments, had I seen what was coming up, it kind of started to unravel for me at that first part of the year where we were working so siloed in that way, And yeah, I remember so many times where this was apparent and at that moment where I thought, wow, I've lost that one person. But there were many times through the year and I remember each of us working towards our own goals and this moment where I was snowed under, you know, consulting was snowed under with what we were doing, and then the other areas had their own priorities and using loop and all of the tagging in all of the different tasks, and one day where I was like, oh my goodness, I don't know how I'm going to get through, and then in came you know, fifty different pings and dings of you've been assigned this task, you've been assigned, and I just thought, Wow, I know they've got their.
Speaker 3: Priorities, but we have ours.
Speaker 4: And there really was no overlap for quite a lot of that time, so that made it incredibly difficult as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I look back at some of the decisions I made in the first half of the year where I had stepped back into a leadership position, I definitely I remember why I put some hierarchy and different group things of people in place because to me, and it's funny, like you can put so much thought into a decision and be aware of research, but then they can just be terrible decisions.
Speaker 2: And I look back and I know why I made the.
Speaker 1: Decision, but it was a really bad decision in hindsight because having more hierarchy.
Speaker 2: While I think it was you know, like I.
Speaker 1: Think it's natural to sort of, you know, want to feel that sense of progression, I felt that was necessary for some people in the team to have that feeling and that responsibility. The unintended consequences were that it really divided the team and having the different areas and we were, you know, we still are a small business. I think we were, you know, around the sort of ten to twelve mark, which as a CEO, like ten to twelve people is too many direct reports and so there needs to be some kind of structure. But I have huge regrets about those decisions because I think, you know, as you've highlighted, they didn't lead to positive behaviors. I also think that you know, what happened in the middle of the year, we had a change of leadership, and I know that that was really hard.
Speaker 4: For you, yeah, incredibly hard. I think it's natural for new leaders to come in and we see this all the time with organizations that we work with, with leaders coming in and really keen to imprint something into the organization very early on, and there can be some assumptions around how you've worked before and that that will work in the new organization. And I completely respect that need to feel value straight up. But with inventingum, I think the ways of working were under fire quite early with new ways of working with new leadership, and had that been at another organization, potentially it wouldn't have had so much a resentment towards changing workplace practices. But because that's who we are, that's our DNA, it's what we help other organizations to do, is to work better and to be happier and more productive.
Speaker 3: So when the ways of working were under.
Speaker 4: Fire with things like you know, the meetings culture changing to be in line with a lot of what we don't teach around you know, meetings going over time and not being effective and not really having a real clear purpose to meetings and some of these things that when you're used to working and I think when you've been you know, so intense about the practices that we've put into place, that that was a really confronting place to be, and I think it led to a lot of people being offside from the very go. And you know, it's very hard for a leader to then pull everything back after that has been the case.
Speaker 1: It is hard to rebuild trust once trust has been lost. Yeah, I know a couple of things that I found quite hard is Firstly, and it's something that we've heard other leaders say in our own research and inventium, but I had this really acute fear of just like what if I say the wrong thing and what if I'm canceled, Like in the same way that like high profile people have a fear of cancelation. I felt like as a leader, I feel like every word I said was just under critique, and I therefore I felt like I silenced a lot of what I wanted to say, just simply out of fear. And I think that the unintended consequence of that is that, you know, as a leader, we're told to be authentic and be vulnerable, But because I was censoring myself so much, I feel like I hid a lot of my experience that might have actually been useful for people, which will go into in terms of what happened in twenty twenty five, because I felt that was quite a big change for me. Something else I felt like it was kind of happening before twenty twenty four, but seemed to get a lot worse, which I think had a really negative impact on the culture, was what I think of as triangulation where someone will have, say, some critical feedback for someone else on the team, but rather than going directly to that team member, they will go up the chain to their manager, for example, or just someone else that you know that might be their confidante on the team and not necessarily their manager, and then you have this triangle effect. And I got to say, like, I think everyone of the team knows how much I hate that behavior I saw that particularly happening.
Speaker 2: Like, what was your experience of that triangulation?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting because you know, I wasn't privy to a lot of the conversations at that time where a lot of those big discussions were happening, But being in the outside part of the team of those conversations, I think there was times where that became a bit of a silo in itself too, and a bit of backchat around what was happening, and then in our little streams talking about things but actually not having a clear message up and down. And I do think when you are seeking safety in amongst change with which I think we were all doing and with you know, we're in fight and flight for a lot of that time, for quite a long time of thinking, oh my goodness, so we were going to be around anymore, what's happening?
Speaker 3: Like what's going on here?
Speaker 4: Quite high pressure on every So I think that's seeking of safety and you seek out that person that's your confidant, and so all of those conversations happen behind. So I certainly did, you know, have some conversations like that myself and know that that was happening around as well. And you know, I know we'll talk about the future state, but I can. I was reflecting on this last night around how different it is where those conversations are just aired straight away and nipped in the bud, compared to some of those ones that were swirling around. Yeah, it's a hard one because I think under that pressure, that's what we automatically do is to go to that safety.
Speaker 3: So yeah, interesting during that.
Speaker 1: Time, Yeah, it's so funny how the most instinctive thing to do is also the least constructive thing to do.
Speaker 3: Absolutely coming up.
Speaker 1: Ali shares what pushed her to quietly start browsing on Seek, the moment that began to rebuild trust between us, and the day everything finally broke, an ugly cryphone call that changed how we work together. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work can Live. I write a short weekly newsletter that contains tactics I've discovered that have helped me personally. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot Com. Tell me about getting on Seek, Allie.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was on Seek for a few weeks.
Speaker 4: I was very open when we had that final discussion about what's going on, and I felt this incredible weight on me actually of like it's not me really to be doing, you know, not voicing how I'm feeling and not being transparent.
Speaker 3: I'm very transparent.
Speaker 4: Person, so I feel like I had this incredible burden on me, and I remember that moment.
Speaker 3: I've said to you, by.
Speaker 4: The way, I've been looking at other jobs and feeling like sorry, but yeah, it was you know, I know that other people were and I thought, you know, there was a point at which I thought, potentially, maybe I won't be around, Maybe my head's on the chopping block, maybe the company's not going to be around.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is a chance.
Speaker 4: You know, there were so many unknowns, and I think also I was so burnt out with what was going on. There was an incredible amount of you know, we were all working very long hours, but there was a lot of that incivility in the in the team, of like not working cohesively, and so I think at that point I started looking, and you know, I looked around for something that I had never looked for, which was pay. I thought, if I'm going to be this miserable, I'm going to look for a high paying, miserable job.
Speaker 3: So looking for you know, leadership.
Speaker 4: Positions here, and I just thought, because I'm so values driven, I was like, this isn't me, Like, this isn't what I want to be doing. So I think that did lead to my decision eventually to stay and to help rebuild what I really valued and knew was the DNA of Inventium.
Speaker 3: But yeah, at the time, it was looking for direction. I guess as well.
Speaker 4: In the I really didn't have any direction in the uncertainty of all the change.
Speaker 1: Building trust I know was really important, and I think it's fair to say there were probably a few moments for you where where trust was built between the two of us, because as context, we didn't have a lot to do with each other for probably your first I don't know, six to nine months at Inventium, and I know that one key moment for you was in August last year where you were credited in a particular well being surveyed the GLWS, the GLWS which stands for the Global Leader Leadorship Well Being Survey, and I think we were thinking of using it with clients, and that led to me just being a guinea pig. And you've done many debriefs in this survey. Can you tell me what happened on that day where we got together and we got together in person feed to debrief me on my results?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I remember.
Speaker 4: So the survey in itself is very thorough and it goes through all aspects of work and home life, so you know, it's an incredibly vulnerable position for you to put yourself in. So I was quite aware of the fact that we hadn't necessarily built up that trust as well, And I remember at one point when we started diving in and you said, I don't know how much to give because how much I need to keep my sort of position here and that professionalism, and how much I need to give over to the survey and these results and being open and honest, and and you said, I'm just going to go for it because I'm only going to get out what I put in.
Speaker 3: And at that moment, I think.
Speaker 4: It just opened up vulnerability for you, vulnerability for me as well, to just be present with you with that, And I think that moment was a real starting point for that really strong trust that then continued.
Speaker 3: To go to where we are today.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that moment, I think had you been guarded through that and not really shared openly and honestly.
Speaker 3: I would have known and I would have been like, Okay, this is just us.
Speaker 4: Now, we're just going to skirt around the edges as we all have been doing for six months. But I think that really showed great faith in me and absolutely more faith in you. From my perspective as well.
Speaker 1: I know that one of the hardest parts of the year was when retrenchments were happening, and you know, I mean retrenchments are just awful for the person that is losing their job. I've never been through it myself, but I've had close friends go through it and have seen just like what that experience is like for several people that are really dear to me. And it's also if you're a leader with even an ounce of empathy, which most leaders are, it's a really hard and awful decision to make. And I would say those decisions that I had to make were preceded by months, literally months of sleepless nights going there must be an alternative. And I know for you it was really hard because some of the people involved were people you were very close to. And I'd love to hear about how those moments, again, like on the topic of trust, that I was able to do that consciously or unconsciously in a way that helped us build our relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think this was a really pivotal moment. As you know, I was in quite a bit of grief land this point of time. You know how I managed to get an ounce of work done.
Speaker 3: In that moment?
Speaker 4: It was Yeah, I was quite flawed. So I do remember a moment that just really flawed me in a good way where you know, we've been through this before in a couple of weeks earlier, and that hit me hard. But then when that continued to happen, it just really ground me down. And I remember, unlike what probably your instinct was, was to keep calling and to check in, just regular consistent messaging and letting me know that you were there without forcing it on me at a time when I wasn't ready to talk, and then when I was finally ready, I think it was a couple of days later, whereas I just need some space. But a couple of days later when we did actually talk, and rather than going into justifying or you know, coming up with anything from that you thought would help me, your first reaction was, what do you need from me? Do you need me to listen and for you to vent or do you need me to reassure you and work out a pathway forward here? And I've never had that before actually from a leader, because in times of change, I had always had leaders that had gone away, thought about it and come back to me with what was going to go on. So it was really different and refreshing, and at that moment it also put that back on me to reflect on where am I at with this grief? And I think at that moment I was like, actually, I need you to reassure me. I need us to start working through the steps.
Speaker 3: What are we going to do? How are we going to get out of this?
Speaker 4: And again that trust that we were able to build and collaboration on trying to envision a different future, that was really pivotal for me.
Speaker 1: I know that another pivotal point happened in the back half of the year where you had a massive workload because the people that had left been retrenched. You picked up quite a lot of work and there was a moment where another teammate threw a whole lot of work on you, even though they.
Speaker 2: Probably could have made the time to do it themselves. Tell me about what happened there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was a real low point. I'd actually forgotten about it till recently because I put it in the back of my mind.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you're right. I was just swamped with work.
Speaker 4: It was the week leading up to Christmas as well, so there's already high stakes in getting things across the line, and had been working collaboratively and so I had thought, we're going to get this done together across the line and having looked in, you know, there was a message come through that I'm not going to have time to look at that. And then when I went in to see what was taking precedent, you know whether I can help out with that as well. We're all just hands on deck at that moment to get things through for clients before Christmas, and they'd chosen to go on a client's end of year party extravaganza. And I think it was two things. It was I was flawed by again that individualistic approach to work. That is not the fundamentals of how we work together at Inventium and especially now, but it had become the way that we were working with individual goals and individual priorities. But yeah, the other thing was I was just I had zero capacity and I was just thinking, what am I going to do? I literally cannot do this. I'm going to have to work twenty four hours a day. I think because of all of the moments, and it was those small, consistent moments over time, it wasn't one thing that led me to think I really trust Samantha. It was all of these check in moments and being vulnerable and honest with you.
Speaker 3: I decided to pick up the phone.
Speaker 4: You were in NUSA at the time, so it was sort of this moment of going, I can't call her, but I had reached the bottom and I just ugly cried to you on the phone and I thought, you know, I never thought I would be doing this, And yeah, it got to that point and I was like, I just can't do this, and you jumped on and helped me for that day to get over it, you know, to get that work done. But that was, yeah, incredibly low point and probably a real reflection of where we had got to as pretty much the lowest point I think as a team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember getting that call from you because I had taken a week of leave and I didn't expect to be contacted, I don't think. And then yeah, when you called me, I just remember just just I just need to help, Like it doesn't really matter that I'm on leave. It's like I just need to get in here and help. And also I thought my knowledge of the project is different to Allie's, and two three hours of me doing some intense work is the equivalent to you probably taking two days to catch up. So I just thought that decision makes sense to me.
Speaker 4: I think it really set the tone as well heading into Christmas for us to take into the next year, because it could have ended very badly where I went across Christmas and thought that's it for me, I'm out. But instead that moment where we came together in crisis really solidified what that was for us as a company. I think for the next year.
Speaker 1: Today was just part one of my chat with Ali because we kept on talking. Next week, I'm going to be releasing part two of our chat, where together we unpack exactly how we set that reset button. We're going to be talking about the off site that really changed, the tiny rituals that rebuilt connection, and the moment I realized my fear of saying the wrong thing had finally disappeared. Make sure you hit follow wherever you listen to this podcast to be alerted when next week's conversation drops. And if you know someone who'd benefit hearing this pretty honest chat about leadership, please share the episode with them. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery People, part of the Cooler Nation