Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to the AO Show. We're back with another edition this week of the Sitdown, brought to you by me matrolopeofozopen dot Com and Australian Tennis magazine editor Viv Christy. How are you, Viv?
Speaker 2: Hey Matt, I'm great, Thank you and it's great to be back here with you for the sit Down and we have a really special episode this week. You had a wonderful chat with a real legend of Australian tennis in Judy Dolton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great to chat to her in line with the fact that the Charleston Tournament has just finished, which is the longest running women's only professional tournament in the world and one of the original WTA events back from the seventies, and as Judy is a member of the Original Nine, it kind of felt great to talk to her about that tournament and that story more generally, and at the end of the interview it was really lovely. She signed off by asking how's Viv going, which is really.
Speaker 3: Soet I love Jude.
Speaker 2: I won't lie, you know, I've known her for many years and yeah, I'm just so pleased that the achievements of the Original Nine and Judy and her contribution are being recognized. So let's hear what she has to say.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you what do you make of the toy given it is such an historic event on the women's tour, it's quite an important one. Yes, that's where they chose it, obviously as the site for your reunion. What was it like going there and what was the what was the mood of the reunion? What kinds of things were celebrated.
Speaker 4: It was very emotional because we hadn't seen each other for a long long time. But like I'd seen Bellie because you know, i'd seen it wimbled, don't want have you? But I hadn't seen Nancy or Christie or Vale or Peachy. I hadn't seen any of for ages and ages. And it was and Charleston was really lovely because they at the tournament, they reserved a room for us, which was really nice, so that we so there was only us in the room, okay, And I can remember that when I went in the room and we met one another, everybody burst into tears.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Obviously Charleston slash Hilt in the head. It's in the South of America, in South Carolina and I've found that there's in the early days of women's professional tennis, whether it was that invitational at Houston, the first tournament you guys played for the one dollar contracts, and there's obviously Billy Jean's Battle of the Sexes that was also in Houston. You've got this long running tournament in South Carolina. The South is known as quite a conservative place in America, but you've got this progressive women's tennis movement that was in line with like, you know, women's liberation and Title nine and all of them. That has always been to me, like, yeah, this progressive women's tennis movement often unfolding in a place that's culturally maybe not that way.
Speaker 4: It's interestingly saying that because you know, there's a lot of wealth down there, and a lot of wealthy people, and yet they were very You would have thought that they wouldn't be for women's ten tournaments, you know, for women's tennis, and yet they were. They supported us really well, and there were a lot not a lot of men, but there was a high percentage of men came as well, which the women brought their husbands along. You know, maybe they were quite well. I would have thought that they would be reasonably well educated.
Speaker 3: Therefore they might have thought that it's good to support the women.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know, because I think they might have thought the same way as what glad As Hellman thought, you know, who had money. I mean, she was exceptional, but do you know what I mean? A lot of her friends were all into tennis, really into tennis and for the women's tennis.
Speaker 1: So when you all get together, you said that the Charleston one was very emotional, you will cry. Is that does that happen every time? Or have the kind of dynamic? No?
Speaker 4: Well, no, because now we've seen each other sooner, if you know what I mean, You know, there hasn't been such a such a big gap, but when we went to Charleston there was a huge gap.
Speaker 3: So well, it could well have been like fifteen years.
Speaker 4: And I think also when we said goodbye, it was most because we thought, well, we might never see each other again. And I don't know how we are still it's still around, Yes, So you know, it's pretty amazing when you think about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think I think so too. So what kinds of things do you talk about now? Do you talk a lot about tennis or is it life, like when you all get together, what's the dynamic?
Speaker 4: Like, I know, we did well, we talk about the tennis, watching it, but not particularly but we talked about what everybody was doing and did or how they were getting on.
Speaker 3: And and things like that, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, yes we talked about tennis, but it wasn't the principle thing of it. And you'd say do you remember this or do you remember that you know, and somebody'd say, nah, I don't remember that happened at that tournament.
Speaker 3: But we sort of kind of reminisced.
Speaker 1: More just generally, like are you keeping up with tennis these days? A lot? Watching a lot?
Speaker 4: And well I tried to, Like I tried to, and I mean I always watch. I mean I always look at it, look at the results and all that sort of thing. And if I don't know somebody, I would ask about somebody. And like the Australian, you know, I went most days, so you sort of touch up with a lot of people and so, you know, so I'd just like to keep it an eye and just see how things are going.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't necessarily say that I know what's happened to me.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the state of the women's game now.
Speaker 4: I don't think you should ever compare decades with decades, if you know what I mean, Because I think because everything has changed so much, like Matt, if we'd been doing what we did today, would like when we started the original, would we have been able to achieve what we did, because you don't know how what the press would have been, what anything would have been like, because everything's changed so much, And.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And I think that we like it might have been beneficial to us because the press might have taken each of us and promoted us, if you do you know what I mean by that? Whereas whereas then we have to try and do all that ourselves and try and and and cope with them with trying to promote and to play and to make sure that we that we looked after the sponsors and things like that. Whereas now but to me that the tennis players today really only have to concentrate on playing tennis. You know, they don't have to organize themselves to practice courts because somebody else does it for them.
Speaker 3: That you know, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: They get, They get everything everything given to them.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm not not against that at all.
Speaker 4: But you know, for instance, I tell I always tell the story of Leslie Barry when she'd won the French and we I played with them that one year and she in those days, you know, we had to write because there was no emails or phones or anything, which which today people the tennis place don't understand.
Speaker 3: And we had to write and say, you know, we wanted.
Speaker 4: To book at the hotel, and and we did that and we arrived as char Salisee and of course there was nobody there and we had we had bags, it didn't have any wheels on them. We still had wooden rackets. That's how long ago what?
Speaker 3: And we we we.
Speaker 4: Had to get a bus from the from the airport to Charslice and then walked down to the hotel. When we got to the hotel, there was this huge hole in the ground and I said, well, Leslie, obviously the hotel's not there, is it?
Speaker 3: You know, where is it? She said, But I've got the letter that says are here.
Speaker 1: And I said, well, oh, well, you mean like it had been demolished or something.
Speaker 3: So I went next door and in my limited friends over there.
Speaker 4: You know what happened to the hotel and they said, oh, it's been demolished and again but new what.
Speaker 3: And I said, well, that's very difficult because we've come to play the French Championships, which they didn't even know what we were talking about seriously, and we said we need a hotel for two weeks. They said, you'll never get a hotel for two weeks, so this is not a lie.
Speaker 4: We walked the streets of Paris for two hours looking for a hotel that we could stay for two weeks, and here was Leslie who was the French champion, and then of course she wanted again. And I just keep saying to everybody, can you imagine in today's thing that that would ever happen?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, no, that would that would That's an absurd story.
Speaker 4: There's such a huge difference between the conditions, the equipment, the treatment of the players. So in a way, all they have to do is concentrate on that one thing of playing basically everything else, every other aspect it is looked after, where in our day we had to just look after ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess in a way, this is what you fought for. The women's game has gotten to such a point that isn't that fantastic that the athletes only have to concentrate on practicing and preparing and training.
Speaker 4: And they make a living and they're able to do whatever they want to do.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was the whole purpose of it. You know.
Speaker 4: I think that people and that when we when we signed for the dollar bill, I think everybody thought, oh, we were all for equal prize money. Well, I can tell you when we when we did that, we never envisaged that like that was the pipe tream really, but we wanted to be able to earn some money and to have the opportunity and recognition and all that. But but you know, so many people, especially the men, they always used to say, oh, you did it for was to get equal prize money, And I keep saying, No, that wasn't what it was for.
Speaker 3: That, That's not why we did it.
Speaker 4: We wanted to have the opportunity to earn more money. And yes, if equal price money happened, well that was a huge bonus, which which had happened, But that wasn't That wasn't our idea. We never thought that it would happen then, but you know it was. It's wonderful that it did. But but what I'm saying is I think everybody thought, oh, you know, that's that's what we want to have, and that's what we did for which which was nice.
Speaker 1: No, it was a different mission statement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 4: What I would say was the opportunities today are far greater than the opportunities that we had to play tennis.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: That makes perfect sense? You know, would you have liked to play then in this era in that way that you described everything taking care of you can concentrate on the professionalism. It's funny, did you, oh, you would have preferred this era? Yes?
Speaker 4: That was I think that was maybe one thing we said. I wouldn't have been nice to play today. We would have to worry about this week. But then you know, on the other hand, it could make you lazy and you think, oh, well I don't have to worry to you, but I'm getting everything looked after. It could be twofold, you know, it could be could be both ways.
Speaker 3: Do you think, oh, you know, maybe I don't.
Speaker 4: Whereas we because we had to do everything for ourselves, we had to be self efficient, whereas the players today really aren't. Yeah, you know, like like you know that for instance, you know, we had to make sure we entered in every tournament things, you know, And there's cases where people didn't enter Wimbledon because they forgot and then missed out.
Speaker 3: Well, could you imagine that happening today? It did. Never happened.
Speaker 1: No, it's very very rare for a player to miss out. I do hear the odd story about like a player or the agent like forgot to enter the minute tournament. Then they suddenly have to enter qualifying because they didn't in the main job. That's so unusual for that to happen.
Speaker 3: Yes, we'll see. We didn't have qualifying Well you're the only ones that had. Well, the only ones who had the qualifyings were the Grand slams.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so interesting. Who do you like watching?
Speaker 4: I like watching, right be Keen think she's she's great to watch. I love watching and her demeanor and everything is maybe she's a bit too laid back, you see.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but she but I like I like.
Speaker 4: Her and and and Sabalanka. You've got to you've got to admire like you know, I admire for for overcoming. You know, look with a servant. All that do I watch is overcome and everything. And I quite like watching her. And the one I do love in the Doubles is that Chinese girl that played with Merchants sometimes. She's amazing. I mean she's thirty seven, Matt. She's just incredible, you know. And she said she was very funny because I spoke to her after she'd one of the Ladies Doubles and she was playing the mix. No, no, she played the mix that's right, and I present her with the Trophy of the Wealth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then she was playing the Ladies Doubles.
Speaker 4: It open it and and I said, oh you know that. She said, oh, she said, I'd like to win the other double. She said, because there's a lot of money in it.
Speaker 1: She's such a character. I like her. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's amazed, but he's amazing prayer and like Si Teck, you've got to you, you've got to admire. But I mean it's good for instance that that that I think that Halen's come back again. I think that that one might add another dementia to it if she if she can, you know, if she can play as well as what she did before, I mean, that mightn't happen. Like Osaka is trying and she's getting there. But I think that's going to be a hard one for her, but it would be good if she did it as well.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, There's definitely been lots of like comebacks to see which has added some you know yeah texture back into the tour potentially.
Speaker 4: Well, like Kerber plays played pretty well and most Arki's playing well and if halenp comes back again and Saka comes back.
Speaker 3: Again, anyway, there we go. So we wait and see, We'll.
Speaker 1: Wait and see. Yeah, Judy, thank you so much. This is great.
Speaker 3: You're very welcome, and say hi to Vivre.
Speaker 1: I will always Matt.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, what a fabulous interviewer. Was so lovely to hear Judy's insights.
Speaker 1: Thanks Viv.
Speaker 2: We'll be back next week for the sit down and we talk to another legend of Australian tennis, Sam Stozer. And in the meantime you can listen to John and the team on the AO Show weekly. Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please subscribe, rate and review. We'll see you soon.