Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Just before nine o'clock last night, the jury returned guilty verdicts against all three defendants.
Speaker 3: It was absolute shambles, to say the truth, just absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Blood on his clothing the day after the alleged attap on a shallow mud bank and if you through a river.
Speaker 3: Basically, I think most of the people are used to me, there are good people.
Speaker 5: I think a really important question we need to ask you how many Indigenous prisoners in.
Speaker 4: This is Kurtin a podcast where we pull back the blinds to shine a light on the darkest parts of our justice system and ask who are the victims.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Maguire.
Speaker 5: And I'm Martin Hodgson, Senior advocate at the Foreign Prisoner Support Service. Thanks for joining us here for Curtin the podcast. As the rest of the world was celebrating Christmas in New Years, Kevin Henry, or Curtin as he is widely known, spent his twenty fifth Christmas behind twenty five Christmases and New Years away from his family and loved ones and community through crime. He insists he never committed.
Speaker 6: Now, if you're just joining us here today for the latest episodes and you haven't listened to the previous episodes. We urge you to go back and catch up, but to refresh the memories of our regular listeners. For the past year, we've been investigating the murder of an Aboriginal woman named Linda on the banks of the Fitzroy River in Rockhampton, Central Queensland. In nine to ninety one. Four people were convicted over her death, three women who were handed three to four year jail sentences for grievous bodily harm. They had all brutally assaulted Linda at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center named Tanuba House the night that she died.
Speaker 5: But it was Kevin Henry who received the harshest sentence because after Linda had been left at Tanuba House, police allege he dragged to an area close to the river, where later he would place her in the water, where she would subsequently drown. But over the past year we've raised serious doubts about those allegations. They simply don't stack up. The forensic evidence doesn't match. There's no eye witnesses, there's no evidence, forensic or otherwise linking Kevin to Linda or to the place where the police would allege Kevin placed Linda's body in the water. We've spent time outlining reasons that Kevin's confession at the police station were coerced and even forced. We've told you about the other suspects, much more likely suspects with motive and opportunity, who the police, despite knowing these people existed, did not bother to follow up on. We've told you about key witnesses who were proven unreliable on the witness stand, some of whom flat out light. And finally, we told you that Kevin Henry had an alibi that night he was at the Crown Hotel buying alcohol, and the window of time where it's alleged he could have committed the crime was very narrow. The timing just does not add up. In fact, that window becomes so narrow it's closed. Now. A couple of weeks ago, Amy sat down by the banks of the Fitzroy River and spoke to Kevin's cousin, Douglas Graham. Back in September nineteen ninety one, when Kevin supposedly gave his confession at the Rockampton police station, Doug was concerned about what was going on, so he made an effort to go down to the police station to see what was actually happening. It was here that he saw clips of the actual video recording of Curtain's police interview. Those clips were just a section of what should have been hours and hours of video tape, but Douglas was only presented with about twelve minutes of content. Here's what he has to say.
Speaker 4: Douglas Graham, could I get you to say your mob in your country?
Speaker 3: Douglas Graham, I'm the Lama Lama and human groups as well as a good going and color. Were you're sitting on the room bank out of our company and most breezy. We are anomalous mob from Moist of the associators from the dors in Riveria of smer Queen's andandwhich flows into the McKenzie flows into the frens Roy. Yeah, what we were sitting now and and that's all. We are eagle people. And we'll come to talk about brother Kevin Henry and the circumstances surrounding his imprisonment. It's a sad story mm. And there's always some questions about when people get into the cast right on on charges uh such as he he's been put on. But there's also been dafts in people's minds of of the ease.
Speaker 4: I suppose who's Kevin Henry to you?
Speaker 3: Kem his mama and mamma sisters away from they and your family around trou so the big family be moved his Uh, these six sisters and three brothers, and and as you know, as a as you can, as you can sort of realize, there's a bit more of us after that. But I'm we've always been sort of close, knitting and out. Kevin to be h always a quiet fella, and they've got much Uh getting in Stratford with anybody, let alone the the authorities or the police or anybody you know, you know, we all go might have been a little bit of ugments along the way, but Uh was known to be a little person to get in trouble really, you know, do you.
Speaker 4: Remember around you know, September nine ninety one, how did you find out that Curtain had been arrested?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm in ninety ninety one, I was in Adelaide, and that was a time when I'm I got a phone call from my mum and I was studying at the UNI there. And we don't come on for a break. After we come on for my break I'm family sat down and talked about what had happened. And and when I always told stories about the lady in there who was bending the river that keptn was specially Marity with the wrong way. He's weew other stories, you know, earn about who actually did it. And and that's the biggest part. When I heard a story about these other people who were involved there was it didn't come much as u a s surprise to me. They were they were they were well noner in the community to be stand up with people and then and people who would go roll on people and just really bad news, you know. And I remember that I'd come into Rocky to the police station to we we we actually talked to the police about about his confession cir called confession. So I am coming to Rockampton, I just pretty rich date was there what Monther was, but would have been after I'd come back from Adelaide, And I actually got to see a vhh vatas type recording of his his circle confessions. When I look back at her now and I you know, realized that he wasn't he didn't seem his right self. He's slurring words and and sort of m you know, swaying a bit, and I realized I realized myself too, that he was still in it looked like he was intoxicated, you know. Yeah, and and and I in it on that sort of quality tape. Yeah, M. You know, he's a bit of a jump and a bit of a not It wasn't that snow. He just a bit of look scratchy what they call it. But I definitely remember the way he was talking, in the way he's acting, and these m it's his mannerisms, you know. It just didn't seem right to me, you know, and nothing, nothing seemed right.
Speaker 4: How much of that tape were you able to watch?
Speaker 3: I reckon I woulda watched about probably about when No. SA ten seven to ten minutes of that at the most of say probably twelve roughly as a recall, But it wasn't It wasn't an hour. Wasn't wasn't like an half an hour.
Speaker 4: Do you remember who was in the room with Kevin.
Speaker 3: Or there was some guys detectives. I don't recall their names at the moment, but I'm I realized, I'm uh, I understood the do they way? You know? Over then what they were asking these questions and and uh when I remember one part there they were saying, well did you do it? Did you? Did you do it? And he said well, oh well okay, then like you know what's around my head? And I told himself, well, now, angl a minute, that's not a confession. It's like, oh okay, oh bet enough, you used m hav gonna go at me on this. Yeah, And then he said, uh, what do you do it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: He's talking like, well, these these women got families, you know, and kidding I'm thinking, well what women?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: Who were they talking about? And I realized that it was lighter Ni there's people way mm and to me, it to me it was it wasn't a confession, it it It was seemed to be a forced one. And and even these the way I looked at him and they seemed to be like to me, he was like either drowsy from sleep but with the doubt which wa you know, but it looked it'll work. He was still ready tied up.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know, did you s say that too? Did you remark that to the police officers at that time? You're concerned? Now?
Speaker 3: I didn't, because it was I was it was a movie. I wasn't shocked too, see, yeah, and to think that thing, I mean, that's not a real that doesn't sound like a confession to me. So now I didn't I didn't elaborate on to him because you know, I can feel the eyes on me as well, you know, and it see like they wanted they wanted to show me what they wanted to show me, and and that little part you know, and actually recalled that. They said, well there's a confession, but not a a whole record of a video record for the whole any of you from from the start till they finished, you know, So I I remember that now.
Speaker 4: So you went down to the police off police officer that day cause you were concerned about Kevin being locked up. You went down just because you wanted to see what was happening. And that's what they said to you.
Speaker 3: They showed you the confession, yeah, because they said he confessed and was at how how did he compressit? He write it or whatever, and said, well there's a there's a there's a video tape recording, which I understand now no one syst know where it is. And and if you think that any brief of evidence and lawyer's got brief of evidence and stuff back from the prosecutors that that would have been included in there. So I don't know many people they actually showed after that or even quite about Kevin, or whether that was actually played in the court of law. You know, it wasn't, it wasn't. Well there you go. So someone's actually got still got that that taper which actually shows him, you know, physically he looked and I and now he spoke right more so than the written word or a or an audio recording, and that wad that would And if someone would have seen that, you know, and experienced defense lawyer h h or the judge himself, you know, would have seen that, you know, I I think they would add s some sort of words to say about, well, he he doesn't look like he's m well mentally c came uh mentally capacitated at the time to do that, you know, but whether that's the right word or not. But he just didn't seem to be in his right mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can tell just from seven to ten minutes.
Speaker 3: What he was like. Yes, just by that brief time. And I knew because we knew Kevin, and I said, now this the this boy looks charged up. You know, it's a l yeah, ah uh, charge up. And that's what it looked like to me. And I swear by that. I swear in on the Bible and I was swear to anybody in the court of or or anything. What I saw.
Speaker 4: This is all before Kevin was convicted. Was your family shocked when he was convicted? I mean, what was the reaction from your family?
Speaker 3: If he was all shocked? Was it in sad? And if we just sort of went to if we went to some sort likes like sorrow, you know, And and when you're in that sort of state, you know, you understand you can't do much. You just there's more questions and the answers, and you know, and what the hell's going on in the system?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: And and I s to this to this day. Look, I said, you know that that should have been shown in the court of law. So someone's eh got it or destroyed mm or something was done with it. Do when you look at the you actually see the visual the visual physicalities of the area was areas eer Kevin was being questioned and his movements in the way he was slurring his words and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: MM.
Speaker 3: And I I know for myself, you know, you know you look back and say, well, he was under pressure. M he was way under pressure.
Speaker 4: Do you find it strange because we now know that there were breaks in the tape, so they stopped the tape at certain times, they didn't give him legal representation. What do you like think when you hear that with what they.
Speaker 3: Did, Well, there's a big there's a big shock when I had that, and there was only wa this week. You know, I'm sure I wanna spoke these I think this week I spoke to you. And it was a shock because you know, there's a record of interview fair enough you might stop for a coffee break or or because you know, might say, well we're going on south for he's a bit tired, it's gonna have a rest or something. But if you're gonna chop and train and it's get give us opportunity for cutting pasting stuff? Uh to me? And yeah, it's it's a big shock. And I I don't think any law enforcement today these are sort of tactics I hope not. Well me too, you know, And that's that's just way too many stops and no one knows where the in between the stops or how long the stops were four.
Speaker 4: How would you describe what Tanouba was like and what it was sort of like for people in the river bank back at that time.
Speaker 3: There was always a place to go down there and have a feed and a sleep and a uh ketch up with and with with family and friends. Are if you're looking for someone or if you wanna go in the a drink and get away from get away from wherever you wanna get away from, you know, you go there. And a lot of people at the time lived along the root bank, you know, and it's not just blackflod it was white flows. And I seen people from more walks of life in it and over the years camping in the on the room bank timber. Remember it was a a place like an aven, you know, there was an aven for people that they knew they can go there and and be safe too, you know, because some while we worked there at the time, looked after them, you know, and make sure they had put any the food down there. Or you know, if you needed a shower or something and you need a bit of a clean up, you can always go upstairs mm or apps, oh, just for a yard, you know, and and if you wanted to look for someone in Rocky Bactually you got a toomber first. You know, if you.
Speaker 4: With something like you know, a murder at Tanouva, did that send sort of shockwaves through the Aboriginal community?
Speaker 3: Do you think, Oh yeah, and it seemed to be it it did, you know, And we did send the shockwaves, but it's sent it sent a lot of quietness too, like people were involved in who people were involved with that that murdered that girl, and who around that time went quiet too? You know. Of course there was an uproar and and you know r in around town and then some of the queens and in society. But but that's who got me worried about the quietness or were people keep them quiet too mm and afraid to come out and speak out as well? And I know a few of them, people that I spoke to over the years, tell me still worry about what happened. And and when I went to actually get him on tape, they did they wouldn't do it and change their minds, you know, they they was they were under threats of violence as well, and.
Speaker 4: They told me that, you know, do you think there's people out there who actually know what happened? That night, but just was too scared to say anything.
Speaker 3: Too scared either by the perpetrats themselves or you know, to me, it's boy boy, I'm whether it's the police or authorities, you know, like we don't need any more evidence. We've got to a man, and blah blah blah, you know. And and people were intimidated and stood over back then, you know, not just the boy black flows, but a lot of people on the room bank, especially by the cops. And I can say that too, he said. You know, I can speak like that, you know, because that happened to me when I was a young feller, you know, mind out of business, walking around town, getting questions, getting pulled over, uh, and getting beaten up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When did that happen when you were young?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well I sixteen or seventeen, eighteen nineteen, yeah, yeah, So you.
Speaker 4: Didn't have a lot of faith in cops, you reckon a lot of not a lot of black fellows had faith in cops.
Speaker 3: No. Well, you know, there's there's a lot of good cops, you know, but some of the fellows we ran into, they rant any good blocks at all, you know, they the older blocks we'd been okay, you know, that the watchair stairs and the older fellows worked there. They're they're pretty good, you know. But some of the other fellas s, especially the detectives, and I, you know, I don't remember getting beaten up, getting getting hit with the books oh really the telephone books, you know, and there was back then, there was you know, no monitoring and know this and know that you know, we put in a complaint that just come around the beach up again.
Speaker 4: Mm. You know before the days of the Royal Commission were around the same time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know ninety one, you know, Marble was on you know, I caught decisions. There's a lot of all the land Rocks movements and stuff were on a hall, you know. And and most of the euphoria too. You know, there's there's stuff that's we know, get covered up, you know. And for the police to charge a group of people with that murder of that girl and then drew up charges against at least three them that I know, that's strange. Mm you I if you I you know, because they were there, you know, they we we all know people now and people who were there say they were they and what they did. And and I believed that too because I wasn't there myself, but iled because I know them and they know there they stood over with people and intimidated people. Mm uh like Watton Brindle. Yeah, it's and it's the sad part about it is that I'm no one against justice, not at this state anyway, you know, you know, And that poor girls was very still crying out.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: M Yeah.
Speaker 4: When you talk about women particularly, I mean you got daughters and you got you know, sister and mother. R. How do you think Aboriginal women particularly are treated when it comes to issues like this?
Speaker 3: Oh? I always say, my g girls, any of you stand up for your rights and be strong, you know. I made 'em go boxing, boxing clubs when they live younger, you know, you know, fighting. But there's just too much, too much of it, you know. Now. Women's folk with you know, uh are still you know, backbone and over every other unit of a family you know, and should be treated as such. N And I know women or nobody you know should be treated like that. And I tell my girl time stand up, always stand up, you know, and speak your mind and be strong and in the truth you know, and and cause the truth will you know will save you, you know, And it'll sort of set you free too, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I pray that the truth of what happened this young lady comes out, you know, And people have died in the way l up up to this point, you know, not no one, you know, what happened with the truth come out and drop it. The broken arts and and broken dreams in her and and no one should be treated with that, No, no woman, not anybody. But what happened with that girl?
Speaker 4: Yeah, kN I mean we're sitting here by the Fitzford River, which drumble people used to call Tanuba mm. But it has a very bloody history, doesn't it, this river? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, if you look back in the history of this country's from commonization, you know, especially and Ranald run rocky human that's all where the well, the mask is golong around this river and around this district. And and the murders, you know, there's there's been murders up and down this river that that way. I'm I've been I'm unsolved, you know. And there's families grieving, you know, without known the truth. And I have no inkling, and mothers and fathers have passed on and when the children have have have have passed on, have died from you know, from violence. Mm and and it's it's really sad it somebody you can sit down there you can feel the sadness, you know, and the and for a lovely spot, for a beautiful spot, uh work a lot of the country all over ways. You always have that. You always got that. You can feel that, you can feel that the damage are done to the uh A race youer and you can still leave them crying out too.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 3: You know if you listen hard enough and close enough and and have you quiet times, you know within the beauty is a sadness you But I'm we always wrong people, you know, to keep going. We're still seeking the truth. So you fight for the truth. And I thank you and and and your colleagues and that are endeavoring to bring out the truth. Not just a curtain's case, but a lot of other unsolved crimes around Rockies, you know, and murders that a lot of people talk about it, but don't talk about them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people don't want to talk about them.
Speaker 3: Yeah like that, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But a lot of people, particularly around Worabinder and average community around Rocky, they seem to believe in Kevin's innocence, Curtain's innocence. Why do you think that is that it's been you know, coming out for a very long time, that a lot of people thought he was innocent from.
Speaker 3: The very well. I think it's it was just the nature, the nature of the kid, and it wasn't in his nature to do that, like I only said this morning, you know, it never was in his nature. There's always been a quietly you know a bit of laughing and a bit of American but not somebody to have this some much to hang in and that it would manifest into something really bad and evile to kill someone. Nothing like that now, no way in the world. Yeah, the people around who all liked that, but there wasn't Kevin wasn't one of them, right never.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it must be hard to believe.
Speaker 3: Still to this day. Yeah, yeah, but I'm I'm glad we having a having having to get up and do something now, and you know, it's been too long, and I reckon we should tradition for a for an inquest, you know, as as and then a lot of the truth will come out, for example, like with the more com case, you know, and with other cases around around Queensland. In Australia, we should push for an inquest, a proper one MM, so that you know, all all the information, all the cars that laid out on the table, and not just the essays or innuendos and and lost opportunities, you know, especially in the court of law. We see in stuff in that court of law that should have been brought out MM, like the VSA's type what I saw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're the only person who who might have seen it. You're the only person who who's talked about it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope some of our listeners out there, we weren't quite about the case, would have seen it. And there's someone in authority or someone who was a junior police officer at the time maybe you know, eye position, never saw that they could some shed some light on it. And we hope, you know, and pray too. But it's justice has to be done, to be s seemed to be done, you know. And and there's people who did that terrible deed you know, should be prosecuted to look extens of the law. But like I said, if he had some sort of inquest, then let's see, let's just let's this just I reckon, it's just ever go and go for it MM, cause as many legal minds to be on it as possible and push for it and push the state you know, yeah, they they n they the breakdown barriers authorities, you know, to help others other than you know. When I say others, I mean not of the Abergian race. They bend of a backwards say help them. And I'm not saying anything bad against white people. It's just that that's that's the way the system is. Yeah, And we grew up with that system. And if the system can help them and said should be as the law is equal and fair to everybody, then it should be equal to or Kevin, you know, like and have an inquest there. I reckon there'll be a big step forward.
Speaker 4: Something has to happen, doesn't it, Because there's.
Speaker 3: More good people doing it. The goodness will break through any any evilness or any any anything that's hidden and things are going to be brought into the life.
Speaker 4: That's beautiful. Do you want to add anything?
Speaker 3: I want to thank you.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: That was Kevin's cousin, Douglas Graham, and he spoke to me on the banks of the Fitzroy River and a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Ago, now, Amy, just after you spoke to Doug.
Speaker 2: That week and the week after, during this Christmas and New Year's break, we've all been busy working with Doug and the Worbin, the community where both Doug, Kevin and his family are from.
Speaker 1: Perhaps you can tell the listeners what we've all been up to.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, actually the same week that Doug and I sat down for that interview, we actually went around to a lot of the families in Rockhampton from Warabinda. A lot of them had actually been staying there for Christmas in the New Year's break, and we went around and we actually gave them a community petition calling on support for Kevin Henry.
Speaker 2: Now, the reason we wanted to gather that was because over the break, Curtain came.
Speaker 1: Up for parole.
Speaker 2: This petition was to show the community's high level of support in his application to be released. And it's important to point out how supportive the weorb Indo community what were and have been in this process. Despite it being the Christmas in their many of them spend days gathering signatures, very keen to have their names on the petition calling for Curtain to return home.
Speaker 1: But that wasn't all.
Speaker 2: I also worked for the elders of the werb Indo community to draft a letter of resupport asking that Curtain be returned to Worrebinder, highlighting what they would do to support Curtain, appoint his return and why they felt he should be returned.
Speaker 6: And for those who don't know a lot about the pros system in Queensland and Australia for that matter, how long would this process take?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we won't discuss the details of Kevin's parole application. That's before the paroba and right manner, and we give them our full respect in allowing them to go through the work they need to do to assess Kevin's claim. But generally you tend to hear back in a four to eight week period. That's why they assess whether they will or won't release Kevin Henry from prison and what will happen to Kevin upon release.
Speaker 6: So what happens now? Can we still investigate and report on this story even while that decision is being made?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, both I mean and I have made a commitment from the very start of looking into the case of Kevin Henry and what happened that night at Tanuba that we wouldn't stop until we'd investigated and discovered the truth of exactly.
Speaker 1: What happened that night.
Speaker 2: The consequences of that evening have been devastating, most of all for Linda's family have lost and Auntie, our mother and a loved one.
Speaker 1: They deserve them to know the truth of exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: We've also committed to showing and proving that the police investigation was bungled, that the trial was littered with problems, and that the truth was never exposed. And the more we dig, the more we find that Kevin Henry is highly unlikely to have committed the crime he was accused and found guilty of. In fact, there is simply no evidence supporting that charge. And that's why we believe he's maintained his innocence for more than twenty five years. So why we wait for the parole board to report back? Curtain The podcast will continue and will continue to expose the flaws in the police investigation, the new suspects we've uncovered, the evidence against them, and the mounting evidence continues to show Curtin were more than likely and more by the day provable to be innocent of the crime. For which he was committed.
Speaker 6: So taking that into mind, I mean, we've heard from Doug Graham there, Kevin's cousin, he actually seemed to know a lot of the case at the time. What do you take from his sort of telling of when he saw the video recording because before he came forward, I didn't even know there had been video recording of Kevin's confession. I just thought it had been an audio recording. So what do we actually take from that sort of testimony that he saw the original clips of Kevin around the time that they'd been recorded.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the first thing is that it corroborates a lot of what Kevin's initial lawyers were arguing, which is that yes there was a video, and yes there was a tape recording, but they were recorded. See approbably, they had to be synced, and both quality levels on the tape and the video were very poor. So even identifying who was who and who said what, and if the tapes were sin he's highly trouble trouble. But to have an eye witness to the way that video looked in Kevin's cousin, Dug Graham brings us new certainty about the doubts that we've always had about that confession and exactly what occurred in those days at the Rockampton police station.
Speaker 6: He talked about I remember, I mean, he just we just heard his interview with me, and he talked about the facts that immediately he knew Kevin wasn't in the right mind to actually be given a confession. He said that he was slummed and that he's swaying, he looked at very obviously drunk. Why didn't the video come up at a trial or why haven't hasn't it come out now, given that it seems that he was so obviously unable to give a true confession at that time.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a very good question, and we know the judge was highly concerned about this. Important to point out.
Speaker 2: We don't know where that video is, and the lawyers working on Kevin's parole application, those of us investigating the case, none of us have been able to turn up that video. And here's why I believe that's so. The police would claim on the stand that every person they interviewed in this matter until the trial was not intoxicating. That means they were not intoxicated at the time that their witness statements were given, and that even their testimony was given in court, that video clearly.
Speaker 1: Shows that Kevin was indeed intoxicated and heavily and that was by his own admission as well later on in statements he would make.
Speaker 2: In fact, every single witness who was down at ten Uber House that night would either admit in their statement or on the stand that they were intoxicated both when the events occurred and when their statements were taken, many of them multiple times. But the police would claim that not a single one of these people was ever intoxicated when their statements were taken, and that they ensured that was not the case, because if these statements were taken when a person was heavily intoxicated, the judge made it very clear they'd be inadmissible, and this was partly the reason why he struck.
Speaker 1: Out a good deal of Kevin's alleged confession.
Speaker 2: So here from Doug Graham, who was around at the time, who saw the video, who had his own concerns before he'd even seen the video, and then had those concerns proven by what he saw. He's further proof of what we've continued to uncover. It's another person that we've met along this Journey, who's always been troubled by what occurred and the outcome, And for every person we talked to, that's the same response we get.
Speaker 6: The other thing that came up in Doug's interview was that he already sort of believed that the police will be capable of doing this. So I think we've seen again that you know, the Aboriginal perspective in Racanton is that there is a problem with policing. That this isn't just an isolated incident that's quite easy to work leave, that police would force a confession like this. In fact, it's almost expected. And that's what a lot of what I took from Doug. Not particular surprise, but that this is business as usual for policing in rock Campton at the time.
Speaker 2: And I think that's particularly worrying when a community has an expectation that they will not be treated fairly by the law, in.
Speaker 1: Fact, they'll be wrongly targeting in.
Speaker 2: Clearly that was the perception and reality lived reality for many of the Aboriginal people and the community in Wrebinder and rock Hampton. But it's not just them who are saying. We've heard from experts like Patrick McGinnis and Brandon el Garrett, leading experts in false confessions and police practices in this area, who have stated.
Speaker 1: Absolutely that they believe not only did this go on, but this.
Speaker 2: Is what breads to the sort of false confession we're dealing with in this case, where people from a certain community were targeted, Those who were intoxicated, illiterate, and lacked access to justice were again targeted, and it was further proof of a systematic failing of procedure to follow guidelines and where investigations are practiced and interviews are conducted.
Speaker 1: This was not just some casual concern of the community. This was an entrenched belief in a community that had been targeted by.
Speaker 2: Law enforcement for as long as we can all remember. And it's a fear that he is backed up by the world's leading experts. That's why on the day Kevin is alleged to have confessed, this is clearly not a one off. The way he interviewed, the way his statement was taken, and the testimony provided by law enforcement on the stand is clearly evident that this practice had been going on for some time and there was a rightful concern and fear in the community, and fear plays a key role in why someone would just want to say what investigating officers want to hear and get out of there as quickly as they can.
Speaker 6: So when police conduct an investigation in this way, which is so obviously flawed, I mean, what does that mean for the actual perpetrator? Does it mean that the real killer is still out there?
Speaker 2: Firstly, when an investigation is conducted this way, you can never be sure the right person was caught, and clearly we believe in this case that didn't happen.
Speaker 1: It also means that victim's family get no justice.
Speaker 2: And lastly, it means an individual or multiple individuals who are responsible were never caught, were never placed on trial, and were never prosecuted for a crime they may have actually committed. And so in coming weeks we'll disclose a number of suspects who should have been investigated, who had motive and opportunity, but whom the police, despite knowing of their existence, simply ignored.
Speaker 6: That was episode eleven of Kerning