Speaker 1: Chenzy and Amanda in the morning Top five.
Speaker 2: I'm clumping myself.
Speaker 3: He is pleasure to have you here.
Speaker 2: Guys, Genes here too.
Speaker 1: We all work in the same building, so it's the A R. N Umbrella brand, but we do this podcast. We addore you, We admire you. I'm a radio nerd, Mitch is a radio nerd, and the two of you for years.
Speaker 3: It's very kind of you and finally enough when we needed eighties music experts, you were the first people we thought of.
Speaker 4: Well, that's in our wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: For our eightieth episode, we're doing the top five eighty song.
Speaker 2: My eighties because they were my formative dancing years.
Speaker 1: Disco at the disco.
Speaker 2: It wasn't called I was pre disco. This was just where we'd go out dancing around the handbags.
Speaker 5: But I had my head kind of shaved like flock of seagulls and it was all it was a that was I was the new wave, ere.
Speaker 4: Punk was there?
Speaker 2: Was there? Hey, guys, would you mind wearing a ruffled shirt?
Speaker 1: And then that it was the distinction, got it? You would have known all the songs would have been new for you at the time because you're on radio. When did you start on.
Speaker 4: I started in nineteen ninety, but yeah, it was, but I was.
Speaker 6: I used to work in a disco down the snow called the Schlos Bar.
Speaker 3: What I can't say that with my lisp.
Speaker 6: I was the DJ down there, and the big song at the time was Chain Reaction by Diana Ross.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you was filler.
Speaker 6: That was a floor filler common arts Don't Leave Me this Way. It was a massive floor filler.
Speaker 5: I think when people are drinking in the snow, you know, you could put the seekers on and people would dance curiously.
Speaker 6: Though, what's it called bon Jovi Living on a Prayer that came out at that time, but it never really filled the floor.
Speaker 1: Legally it does, yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: The strangest thing, it's kind of like Dale were Bothwaite the Horse many years after it was actually released, and now all.
Speaker 1: These songs are being remixed and we're playing them on our radio station. Very weird, strange times, strange times. So we've each brought two songs. I brought to Mitches, brought.
Speaker 4: To jen Fills.
Speaker 2: The fifth one, which is just be is your favorite eighties songs?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 2: And what would you like us to.
Speaker 3: Do well after you've heard them? All you can rank them one to five. You de signed the top five in order.
Speaker 1: So we will begin. This is my first song, call me, am I. You don't have to see.
Speaker 4: Such a range.
Speaker 1: Mitch so excited to show it off. That's mine, Isn't that brilliant?
Speaker 2: I love that song.
Speaker 4: That is that's great song from the movie American Great film.
Speaker 3: When she says called me. That was something completely different in the eighties. Home phones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: There was one phone in the house and you had to We had a code word. If you're talking to a boy, you'd say, I'm doing the washing up, which meant Mum's listening.
Speaker 1: Hold on, so if you were on the phone in the bedroom, you could hear the conversation of the other room.
Speaker 2: In the bedroom.
Speaker 5: There was one phone in the middle of the house in a hallway and a phone table, and you had to sit at that little table for any phone conversation, and you had to.
Speaker 6: You had to ask your parents if you could use the phone. Yea, and really thirty mum, could I use the phone?
Speaker 2: No, Betty's phoning, so be quick.
Speaker 3: Do you find it weird that people's attitudes towards phone calls have changed completely because now people just watch their iPhones ring and just choose to ignore it. Home phones, it was like, drop everything, we can't miss this call.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And the curious thing is with my friends and maybe this is a reflection of me. But we'll be talking about something and in the group of people you'll say, they'll ask your opinion about something. Yeah, and then as soon as you start talking, they'll start scrolling through the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And people's attention spans has now dropped to about five seconds. You got five seconds to get a pitch engine.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I just completely you really want all right?
Speaker 1: Song number two is still mine already shower in the wait for the head.
Speaker 5: Working Jonsey and I use this a little as Alzheimer's test.
Speaker 2: We do all the lyrics from beginning to end.
Speaker 4: A couple of.
Speaker 1: Your face is dripping.
Speaker 2: That's a palsy. That's different.
Speaker 1: Sorry, isn't that a good song?
Speaker 2: That's a great song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it still stands up. Dolly's around, Dolly still going, She's iconic. So that they're my two picks.
Speaker 4: Okay, I love that.
Speaker 1: So Brendan's got Brendan. I like it. That's like when you call your dad his first name they felt very weird.
Speaker 2: Call the teacher, Mom, I like it.
Speaker 1: So what do I do?
Speaker 4: I have to say, no, don't.
Speaker 1: I've got to hear all of them. Do you want to do your little pream?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So my first one, I'm a bit uncertain about it, but it's a nassy one. I wanted to throw Anozzy one in there. It's got like a bit of a sentimental background. It was like, we had this home video when I was growing up of mom and dad dancing in the laundroom and it was just so wholesome and lovely. Mum had the tea towel in her hand. She'd just taken a brief moment from you know, being a busy mum to dance with her husband in the lound room. And it was to this song throw your Arms around Me and collectors.
Speaker 6: Beautiful song, and I'll started to the room in summer Star.
Speaker 2: I've got a song, a story for this song to.
Speaker 3: Do you stuff?
Speaker 2: Good story?
Speaker 1: What's your story?
Speaker 5: Mine is that when my husband, who was my boyfriend at the time, came to my place to propose to me, and he was at the door in a suit and he had a bag with him, and I.
Speaker 2: Said, what's happened. Where are you going? And he said, I've just no I need to come in for a second.
Speaker 5: And he came in and he opened up the bag and there was a bunch of carnations and a bottle of champagne. And he got down his hands and knee not me, and he said, will you marry me? And so I went put on a bridesmaid's dress that I'd worn a few months before, and we put this song on repeat.
Speaker 2: I think of this song. I think of that.
Speaker 4: And didn't he say, to you with the flowers, get used to it.
Speaker 5: No, that was the first time we ever went out. He brought me a bunch of flowers. He said, get used to them. And I've never had any sense and he said, well I meant that bunch.
Speaker 4: And didn't you have it off in the in the pile of old wedding dresses?
Speaker 2: No, I had that bridesmaid's dress on.
Speaker 1: How many dress do you have dresses?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: I just went I had it off in that dress. Then the information just then.
Speaker 4: Was the song still playing?
Speaker 1: Was this song still playing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably three four dressing.
Speaker 5: As you can imagine a bridesmaid's dress to the dry cleaner, that's look like it's.
Speaker 2: Been new.
Speaker 1: All right, good pick Mitchell.
Speaker 3: That I feel like I've won, Amanda. Now I do love a ballad. So my other pick is also a big belter, total eclipse of the heart.
Speaker 6: Jeff, you look in your.
Speaker 4: You a man.
Speaker 1: I could do this. Actually, this is banger.
Speaker 2: This is my karaoke. Wow, these are great song and.
Speaker 6: Rod Stewart could have sang that song and they could have gone on the road as a tourist and presented by Fisherman's friends or suitors.
Speaker 3: Were going to rate higher than yours.
Speaker 4: Just quietly pop radio guys. That's as popposite got.
Speaker 1: My songs were as popposite God in those times. Fair enough, all right, I'm ready to general. Are you ready for your life? I am, and I think the last one is the best one.
Speaker 3: I'm not even going to explain.
Speaker 1: It, just play. It sells itself.
Speaker 3: A water boy, The hell is this?
Speaker 1: Give it something?
Speaker 4: Yeah? The water boys.
Speaker 1: Now, I've never heard this in my life.
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 2: You know you're lacking exactly.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's Jenna's old soul coming.
Speaker 4: Through your bucket and the wind that came like a comet.
Speaker 1: You're still talking about address, Oh, well, that's who is there?
Speaker 2: Mentioned your the water boys, the water.
Speaker 3: All right, there we go.
Speaker 1: All right, you've got them there.
Speaker 3: Who do you want to to give you time to deliberated?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 4: Are we going to do? Are we doing this as individual?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 3: Wow, this headphones off, Pretend we're not giving I know what you're going to do.
Speaker 1: Use it.
Speaker 2: I'll put it together and then we'll hand that in.
Speaker 6: That's what you're to do, what you would do, and I would imagine that to me is how I'm thinking, That's how it could be with the possibility of that as a change.
Speaker 1: I'm not looking.
Speaker 3: I'm scared.
Speaker 1: What do you think? Yeah, don't forget the first ones?
Speaker 4: So there we have it. Time do you want us to open?
Speaker 1: Open your eyes? All right, hold on, we'll do a We'll do a drum roll and if you want to announce it.
Speaker 4: You're going to go radio five to one?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, coming into number five. As good as it is, it's a bit of an album track.
Speaker 7: The Whole of the Moon Jenna, we love that loves the audience to the clips of the Heart coming in at number four the other day that would be number one is a chury.
Speaker 6: Pick call Me Blondie. Yeah, please, it's Saturday number two. It's three your arms around me, It's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, the.
Speaker 1: Lyrics you've got it. Oh, it's so good. Have you ever interviewed? I don't want to interviewed. Was it this year?
Speaker 4: This last year?
Speaker 2: This year on over the zoom It was Christmas.
Speaker 5: She got her book out of all those songs that she printed them in a beautiful book and we interviewed her and could see her.
Speaker 2: We did a zoom thing.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a highlight of my life. She was so charming. She really is icon through the years, all the right reasons.
Speaker 4: Do you The song Islands in the Stream, which is sung with Kenny, was written by Barry.
Speaker 3: Gibb Mitch, do you know who Barry Gip is?
Speaker 6: Of course, yeah, so they He didn't have anyone to Lionel Ritchie was originally going to sing.
Speaker 4: Islands in the Street, a very different thing.
Speaker 6: And I and Lionel said I want to sing this, and then Bowry rang keny can he rogers really and said you get someone?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 4: Could we get Dolly Partner sing this with you? And he said, well, I'll go and ask her. And Kenny went into the bathroom where Dolly.
Speaker 1: Was she was in the bar the point man.
Speaker 5: He was recording at her studio. It wasn't that they were living together and sharing a toilet, but she was in the bath and he walked in and you're over egging.
Speaker 4: The island's in the street.
Speaker 2: That's a visual joke he's making there.
Speaker 4: That's it's great.
Speaker 1: I think Amanda is the Mitchell and I'm the Jonesy of our show. It's very I found the dynamic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so true. Actually, I'm here. It's too Actually, Amanda often calls you by your full name, Brendan.
Speaker 4: I knew his name.
Speaker 3: I'm like Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Intelligence, Intelligence, the cute one always in front of you in the four ground of the marketing pictures.
Speaker 3: It's the hype, guys, you got to go to that.
Speaker 1: I Meander and I have very similar haircuts. We have the same hairdresser. I think, well, wow, you.
Speaker 2: Cut jones Is. Have you seen in the back of it have a look back. That was unfortunate. I didn't know a guard was supposed to go.
Speaker 1: On to clips a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a look at brain injury thing.
Speaker 1: This was so fun for us. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: I love that. Thank you. Why do we do songs of the nineteen twenties?
Speaker 3: Next? Nice spring to mind?
Speaker 1: Enough, I'm going backtown strutters Ball, I'm picking the last post. That's my head.
Speaker 3: Hey, before we let you go, I wanted to ask one question of you, Amanda. We've got a lot of young listeners, a lot of them females, So I thought, let's absorb some Amanda Kella wisdom.
Speaker 2: What would you like to know?
Speaker 3: So let's just pretend you can go back to little Amanda Kella in her twenties. What advice would you give her?
Speaker 5: I would say, just go for it. Don't have any nation in mind. I always thought anxious that I didn't know what I wanted my career to be, what jobs I wanted. And so it's the side doors for me where all the adventure has come. And that's what I think has given me my one hundred and fifty million year career or my longevity. That I just went sideways a lot, and that saved me.
Speaker 4: Did the proposal the front door?
Speaker 2: And that's my other thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mitchell's careers over there.
Speaker 3: In that case, what about twenty year old Jonesy any advice for him?
Speaker 4: When that thirty year old woman puts a hard word on you were nineteen.
Speaker 2: Take her up on it unless she's in a bridesmaid's dress.
Speaker 1: Can I say one thing very quickly? I know you have to go. But I used to work shy boys through and through, and I used to work at Cole's in Southgate when I left school and I worked there and I wanted to get into radio. It was an aspiration of money. I loved it, but I wasn't in. It had no in. And I was at coals in My mom said, Jonesy lives in the Shire and his wife. I always see her in Ale three. She loves the broadbeats. Maybe I'm embellishing. And she said, if you ever get this woman held up an A four photo, this is this is Jonesy's wife. You you put a hard word on her, and you say, I want a job with your husband, and I you know, the day she came through, I packed it in. I was I knew it was her. I had this visual image of your beautiful wife in my mind and I was there at the checkout. I was at eighteen scanning her items like a cholesterol diet to check out and it's a meta musal. Yeah, And I said I love to meet you, and you were there at the ATM getting a wad of cash or something. But you were there and I couldn't do it. I was terrified. I know, well, here we are. It came for look at that. But I had to tell you that my mum. I don't know why she knew that you lived in the area or who your wife was, but it's a local. You're a local myth, a local myth.
Speaker 2: And she was a myth, I said, And your wife was a myth of yeah, she was. Are you mocking my listen?
Speaker 1: I don't know what was your number one rule show business? Be nice? Come on and bully Mitch. All right, thank you so much for being here. Guys. Well it was fun. Thank you.
Speaker 4: This has been amazing.
Speaker 2: We love you guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: That was fun?
Speaker 1: Is it just me? A podcast by a couple of mitches. Make sure you've hit follow on your podcast app.