Speaker 1: I'm Sam Wood, and this is your motivational moment, and we're going to talk energy levels and how you can boost your energy levels. It's not rocket science. I'm not going to give you these tips and you go, oh my god, that's an earth shattering bit of advice that I've never heard before. But I often think we neglect these three things, or even don't track them or understand what is perhaps having the biggest impact, both positively or negatively on our energy level.
Speaker 2: So the big three are sleep, diet.
Speaker 1: And movement, which, as like I said, it's not rocket science, but let's look at the numbers. You've got to prioritize your sleep. You've got to get seven to eight hours not just of sleep, but quality sleep every single night. So these people that I speak to, that's where I go first, ask them about sleep.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, no way, mate.
Speaker 1: I don't go to bed till one o'clock in the morning. So it's a really simple, quick, easy fix for these people. It might not be easy to change, but it's easy to identify. So that's where we start. Then it's diet. How much are you eating, what foods are you eating? Is there too much sugar? How much caffeine are you having per day? Are you relying on the caffeine when the caffeine's not there?
Speaker 2: What happens.
Speaker 1: I even read the other day that you know, caffeine is most effective if you have it one hour after waking, which is something completely new for me. But it's amazing how the science on this and the research on this is always changing now. I also think coffee gets a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a bad rap. People are all about, I've.
Speaker 1: Got to give up Coffee's okay if you're having one or two per day, and you're having them early in the day, so it's not impacting both when you go to bed and then the quality of sleep when you do go to bed. So it's one to two cups a day early in the day and you should be okay. Then there's movement. We think exercise some of us makes us tired. Exercise gives us energy. So don't pull away from movement if you're tired, move towards it, and it's whatever you enjoy doing as long as you're doing it consistently. Doesn't have to be the hardest work out in the world, doesn't have to be the longest exercise bad in the world. Just something you can do consistently, because we want to boost our energy consistently when I get thirty minutes in every single day.
Speaker 2: If we can.
Speaker 1: Now to help you understand these three and this is the key, I want you to start a little energy journal.
Speaker 2: Just buy a.
Speaker 1: Little exercise book and you need seven pages. And what you're going to do is you going to give yourself a score. So you're going to write down Monday sleep, how many quality hours did I get?
Speaker 2: You write it in. You've got to be really honest. There's no point line to yourself right in the honest score diet out of ten?
Speaker 1: What score do I give myself based on the quality of food, the volume of food, how.
Speaker 2: Much I ate just before I went to bed?
Speaker 1: Said too much sugar? Is there too much caffeine? Just give yourself an overall score out of ten. Again, but be really honest and pop it in there. And then exercise. You know, if you did an hour of exercise, it might be a ten. If you did half an hour of exercise, it might be an eight. If you did no exercise, it's probably a one. If you just got some steps in or a walk in, it might be a five. Somewhere in the middle, give yourself a score. Then the last thing you put in this exercise book on a daily basis is you give yourself an energy score out of ten. Just before your head hits the pillow, you're right down. I gave myself a sleep score from last night. I gave myself a diet score throughout the day. I gave himself a movement score, an exercise score throughout the day.
Speaker 2: And then how did I feel?
Speaker 1: Because often I don't think we can remember either what we've eaten or how much so that we've had all. More importantly, I don't think we remember how we feel in the moment, and we often forget did I feel crappy on Wednesday? Or was it Thursday? And was it the dinner that I ate? Or you know, it's very hard to pinpoint. So journling these things in the simplest, quickest manner ever it can be a really really powerful technique.
Speaker 2: Powerful two.
Speaker 1: And then at the end of seven days worth of data, you look back and you see if there's any habits, any patterns that have developed, whereas, if I do X, has my energy been positively or needively impacted in a particular way. And then you build on the good.
Speaker 2: Habits and you try and remove the bad ones.
Speaker 1: This is your homework for this week, so I want you to track these three things. Sleep scre at a ten, diet scre at a ten, movements score at a ten, and then the end of the day you also give yourself a square at a ten for how your energy levels have been for that day.