Speaker 1: This is a very special edition of Talkback Tings.
Speaker 2: Usually we bring you the bits of gold that we hear on talkback radio just for your enjoyment.
Speaker 1: But now we've sat.
Speaker 2: Down with one of the people who we've spoken about many times behind their back. Yeah, mister John Laws, the king of talkback in Australia. You would know him from our podcast Open A.
Speaker 1: It's this guy.
Speaker 3: Bring Pikes nurseries what nursery? Pikes? P y k e s Hey? Why I kay as in kill hey?
Speaker 4: Why? Okay?
Speaker 5: God? He's good, isn't he. That's classic John Laws.
Speaker 2: And so we got to sit down with him. And how that came about was, remember we tried to prank call him during one of our Talkback Tings Tugment.
Speaker 5: We got Dit my alter ego to do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you tried to get through as an old lady in disguise, and this is what happened.
Speaker 6: Morning Shirke.
Speaker 5: How are your name dot?
Speaker 6: Excuse that out for me, O T Dot?
Speaker 5: And how old are you? I'm eighty three? What do you mean by Mitch?
Speaker 6: Mitch?
Speaker 1: I think No, I don't.
Speaker 5: Put me through to John.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 6: I can't put you through to John. He doesn't like you.
Speaker 2: Hey, Darlin, if we can't get through as dot, can you tea up an interview with John Laws and our podcast?
Speaker 1: We'd love to have him. I can give it a thanks Darlin.
Speaker 5: All right, you guys, you don't ask, you don't get.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, and any normal person would just let that slide. But because I am Mitchell Kombs the pesky bitch, I held the.
Speaker 1: Producer to that.
Speaker 2: And originally all I wanted was a surprise phone call for you on your birthday. But apparently what I'm told is John listened to our podcast. I suspect someone would have played it to him, because hello, he's not gonna be able to put on a podcast, no, And he heard that Pike's nursery grab that we play in the opener, and apparently we passed the vibe check just because of that. He just heard that we were using his old audio and just went so funny. Yep, bring them in. I don't want to talk to them on the phone.
Speaker 1: Bring them in.
Speaker 2: So we have to wait until after lockdown, and so it finally happened.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: I just want to preface this by saying I hate awkwardness, and I normally have full control in an interview, because I do interviews for it at my job, so just go in there. I know what I'm doing. But being on the other side having John Law sitting there staring at you with very very measured breaths and eyeblinks like he's in full manual mode, it was really intimidating.
Speaker 2: It was Meanwhile, I love awkwardness. However I hate shit audio quality, which is why I was so caught off guard when we visited the King of Talkback and they said to us, we've only got one guest mark. You'll just have to share it.
Speaker 5: You have to lean into the mind.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's why we found all echoey and shit. I feel that that might actually be a tactic from John.
Speaker 1: He just wants everyone to sound a little bit more inferior to him.
Speaker 5: Mitch and I were sharing. Look, it was fun, but it would.
Speaker 1: Steel an absolute honor. We made that mistake.
Speaker 5: We end up going through his back catalogs of music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he pulled out his CD. He has bloody music. Did you guys know that did legitimately have a stack of CD?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: With all his music, apparently he has many albums, like more than ten.
Speaker 5: We almost I think we said at some point, oh, can we grab one to play in the podcast, and they were not, you can't take these. These are the other coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll hear it in the internet.
Speaker 2: He had to get his assistant, who was called the Mother Superior. She had to bloody burn a CD and send it to me later.
Speaker 1: And he didn't play it to us.
Speaker 5: I will say that Jenna and Sam, much to my stress, Mitch did ask the question that we ask every guest you know eighty how old is John Laws?
Speaker 1: Eighty six?
Speaker 5: Mitchell asked an eighty six year old to add to our list of things better than drugs, and Dick.
Speaker 1: I did no. Why would I break the rules for him? I asked every guest.
Speaker 2: I also offered him of abe like I wasn't there, John and I would just vibe me.
Speaker 5: Mitch, Mitch, I had to kill John Laws. You weren't light g eyes, Jay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like you know how I felt like a fly in the wall during that tivert As interview because he couldn't stand me opposite John and I were vibing.
Speaker 1: Mitch thought that he hated him.
Speaker 5: Mitch vibes with wide misogynistic men, and I vibe with young.
Speaker 1: Godsly men. We also spoke about that Awardi one recently. You know what was it again, the.
Speaker 5: Kennedy Ward lifetime achievement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was quite sad.
Speaker 2: He gave his speech about how he lost his wife Caroline on stage.
Speaker 5: And a good friend, a good media friend that was in the industry for years. Look, it was a really long chat. It was an enjoyable chat.
Speaker 2: Towards the end, like maybe the last three minutes is when he was trying to make it awkward on purpose. And I loved it because I love that shit. But you were just like panicking.
Speaker 5: Oh, I hated I didn't know what was going on. There was sometimes I thought I'd really offended him, but Mitch assured me that that's his sarcasm, any sense of humor, which for anyone else and he sprightly thirty year old, there'd be a beat and they'd go, no, just pull on your leg. But there were many beats.
Speaker 2: You clearly aren't as much of a diehard laws and Ada as I lovely later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm not T shirt.
Speaker 5: I'm more of a Johnson. That's Alan Johns team.
Speaker 2: Right. Anyway, without further ado here it is, I'll sit down with John Laws.
Speaker 4: Hollow World. I'm John Laws, John Laws.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nate, how are you welcome to the show?
Speaker 4: The Bigger pardon?
Speaker 5: Welcome to the show. It's great to have you here.
Speaker 4: It's my show, our show.
Speaker 5: You're on our show, we're on yours.
Speaker 4: I mean you're welcome to No. No, that's one of the rules. This always remains the John Lord Show. Okay, you're a visitor and you're very welcome you, but it's the John Lord Show. If you could keep that in mind, I'd be extremely grateful.
Speaker 5: Got it on it.
Speaker 2: Well, we're actually here in the fortress, so this is your territory. What was your useless piece of information for today?
Speaker 5: They don't every show.
Speaker 4: How could I remember three hours ago? Oh?
Speaker 1: Really? You just scrunch it up, get rid of it.
Speaker 4: Well, you've got to listen if you want to hear the useless information. Now, what are you charming people doing here in my studio?
Speaker 5: Well, we're big fans, John, We've been We've been in the industry for six years, five years, so a little dot compared to yours. Yeah, we're die hard fans. We work inside Kiss so alongside Kyle Sandalans, who you know, really takes a lot of his inspiration from you.
Speaker 1: Oh he does, doesn't.
Speaker 4: He He's taken everything from me, everything, the mic, a gold microphone, the headphones, the rolls, Royce car, the lot, the lot. He hasn't got a single genuine original thought. And he's rather lovely.
Speaker 5: Are you're a fan of Kyle?
Speaker 4: I like him. I like Kyle. Don't underestimate Kyle's pretty bright.
Speaker 5: He's good at what he does.
Speaker 2: They've been chatting a lot on Kyle and Jackie I Show recently about the fact that a lot of people suspect that Kyle could be secretly gay.
Speaker 4: What do he means secretly?
Speaker 2: They were telling him that you do come across that at a glance, some people might suspect that you're gay.
Speaker 1: What do you think of that?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, And it wouldn't matter if he was. I like Kyle. I get on very well with Kyle. He and I are friends. Yeah, yeah, you know, you've got to be careful. That probably was a sweeping statement, but yes, we're kind of friends. Am I having lunch with Kyle or something? Soon? We the to organize that. I like having lunch with it. I find him music and I find him also a very genuine bloke. I think if you were in trouble, you could turn to Kyle and he'd do his best. It mightn't be very good, but he'd do his best.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, have you had a long lunch with Kyle recently?
Speaker 4: I have prad a you?
Speaker 1: How long are the long lunches by the way?
Speaker 4: Nine or ten hours? God, jeez, that's a lie. Probably thirteen.
Speaker 5: Do you drink of these long lunches? You drinking these days?
Speaker 4: Am I?
Speaker 5: What drinking? Like? You have a wine drinking?
Speaker 4: Jesus is the Pope praying? Of course? Do you know?
Speaker 2: One thing that Kyle claims as he's big claim to fame is that his first radio gig was paneling your show in Townville or something.
Speaker 1: That's also my.
Speaker 2: Claim two PK in Parks when I was doing work experience, I had to make sure the ads for John Laws were playing in time all of that.
Speaker 4: So that was my two PK with Betty Muzzy Chuk, who don't you remember Betty? The Spicer family owned two PK oh Okay and the daughter or step daughter or daughter in law or somebody. Her name was Betty Muzzy Chuck and she ran the station when I was only there one night.
Speaker 1: I hated you worked at two pik.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did one night for one night.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 4: They wouldn't let me smoke.
Speaker 5: In the studio.
Speaker 1: How long ago was that?
Speaker 4: Nineteen fifty four? Probably?
Speaker 1: Okay, do you still smoke or if you quit?
Speaker 4: Oh? No, I quit ages?
Speaker 1: Okay? Would you like to try a vape?
Speaker 4: That's bloody stupid looked on the vabes.
Speaker 1: No, I'm quitting.
Speaker 4: Is it difficult to quit?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: Why would you take up something that is difficult to quit? Well, I think for people, I'll tell you why. Yeah, because you're young and stupid.
Speaker 1: No, I can't argue with that. Actually that's completely fair.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I always tell people don't start them because they're way easier to get hooked on than cigarettes. There's no this tastes gross to overcome. They're just pleasant from the get go, So don't go there. It's always my advice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, you're giving very good advice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do as I say, not as I do.
Speaker 4: You're maturing at an early age. You're giving very good advice. Don't do it if it's going to be addictive and expensive. Good advice that includes marriage, unless you're very careful, Ah, John.
Speaker 5: I I was listening to your speech on the way here and I saw it live at the Kennedy Awards the other night, Lifetime Achievement Award, which congratulations. By the way, that's very exciting.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I just love my life.
Speaker 4: I haven't made the best, particularly I lost Ryan, but I also must my adorable Caroline, who was fifteen years old and she's gone.
Speaker 5: Out of my life.
Speaker 4: That makes me say. And in case of there's a kind of big indiference, and you are very very much.
Speaker 5: You said that you didn't intend to get into broadcasting, so I guess I want to know how did you fall into it?
Speaker 4: Well? I was a jackaroo in Wellington in central New South Wales and I love being a jackeroo. I love. I would love to be a jackaroo again, but I can't afford it. But I used to. I used to go to the Legacy Ball and the Bachelor's Ball and the Spinster's Ball, and they used to get me to do a commentary, you know, to introduce people as they came in the door. And there was a man there from a w A which we were at that time. I was a huge conglomerate of radio stations all over Australia and he heard me and he asked me, did I want to get into into radio? And I wasn't sure. But the man I was working for, a wonderful welsman by the name of Llewellyn Powell, he thought it would be a pretty good idea if I were to do that, it would get me off his property and get me somewhere else. So I just fell into it that way.
Speaker 1: And loved it, fell in love with it clearly. Yeah, how long have you been doing it now? Because I thought I could google sixty eight years eight far out?
Speaker 4: I think it's said sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Sixty eight?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Are you taking notes there? I chose you. It just shows you how involved that's the Mother Siberia. I'm doing a very important interview with two very important young men and she's doing a bloody crosswork.
Speaker 2: Jesus, it's so nice to put a face to the name the Mother Supirior I here referred to all.
Speaker 1: The time on the show.
Speaker 4: Are you impressed?
Speaker 2: I am, absolutely. She's pretty much what I envisioned.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, is she really? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, she gave us a talking to before we came in. She said, you're up to no good, you're going to be good, and we said, yeah, we'll be right, we're on our best behavior.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's the way to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: All right, So what else do you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: Well, I should have given you heads up before we started that on the podcast. I don't know if you're much of a swearer, but you're allowed to swear here?
Speaker 1: Do you swear much?
Speaker 4: Don't be fucking stupid? But that word has become almost acceptable now except around here is she hates it.
Speaker 1: The Mother Superior hates that.
Speaker 4: Doesn't like me swearing at all.
Speaker 2: Would the Mother Superior appreciate being described as a boss bitch? Because that's what I would think, the Mother Superior is a What a boss bitch?
Speaker 4: What's that mean?
Speaker 5: It's a wonderful term, don't worry, powerful woman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's the word bitch there.
Speaker 1: It's a term of endearment.
Speaker 5: It's all about context, you know, back and empowering.
Speaker 4: Don't don't use that word.
Speaker 2: My apologies, I take it back, Mother Superior, take advance. Now sixty eight years you said, what's your advice for like Mitch to last that long in radio?
Speaker 5: It's been seven so far.
Speaker 4: My advice to Mitch give it away. Really yeah, get out, get a job as a salesman at Bunnings.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, no, I'll give you very good advice. Enjoy it. If you enjoy it, do it. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. And be natural, don't bullshit. No change of voice, no change of attitude.
Speaker 5: Just got to be you authentic.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's well. I don't know how authentic you are, but yeah, just be yourself.
Speaker 5: In other words, now, what happened in the middle because you left for a bit, you had big retirement, you were out, and then you came back. Yeah, you missed it too much.
Speaker 4: I did miss it. I missed it greatly, and I got very bored with my own company, even though up until that time I'd been pretty good with my own company. I love reading, I love sitting by myself, I love thinking. But I did get bored. I did get bored, and I thought, you know, it would be fun to go and do it again. And it's more fun the second time around than it was the first time.
Speaker 5: Really yeah, fell back in love with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh no, better.
Speaker 2: Now we like to play on our podcast some bits of gold that happened on talkback radio because we figured that our younger listeners might not be listening as often as we are, so.
Speaker 1: We're like, if anything good happens, we'll tell you.
Speaker 2: And you've come up many times, including the infamous Pike's Nursery incident.
Speaker 1: That call. I really want to hear from your point of view.
Speaker 2: What were you thinking? What were you feeling when that call? I just could not understand what you were saying.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought this is going to go on forever, but then I thought this could be very good radio. So I decided to stay with it, and she started to understand the humor. As we got towards the end of the conversation.
Speaker 1: You reckon that she was in on it too.
Speaker 4: After no, no, not in on it, But I think she started to understand the humor of it. She wasn't going along with a deliberate she was laughing at herself. It was a good call. It was a fun call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, And it lives on in our podcast as well.
Speaker 5: So at the start of every show, we play the audio. That's how we start our show every week.
Speaker 4: You didn't even ask it's on YouTube?
Speaker 1: Did you know that?
Speaker 4: I don't go to that. I think I can't work computers.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you're paddling your show right now, aren't you. You've got some sort of understanding.
Speaker 4: That's just a board that's got stuff on it, like Tom t or bit of music. Here, there you are. That's how simple it is.
Speaker 1: Well, who says you can't work at a computer? There you go?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it just when podcast by a couple of mitches.
Speaker 2: I don't suppose you're ever going to get to that stage where, like a lot of other radio studios, like a Kiss, you'll have cameras in.
Speaker 1: The room filming it.
Speaker 2: They never you don't want stuff on Facebook or.
Speaker 4: Of course I don't. Of course I don't. I do a radio program and I'm a radio broadcaster and that is the limit of my talent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how else do you listen to? John? Do you have any other shows that you listen to? Or do you just?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I listened to as soon as I leave here, Yeah, midday or whenever I leave in ABC Classic. Really, I love classical music, and they pay a lot of light classical music. They play a lot of ballet music, and I love ballet music. I love the ballet. So there you are. That's surprised you.
Speaker 5: Have you ever podcasting?
Speaker 4: Have you ever?
Speaker 5: You know how to listen to podcasts? You into them?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 5: You'd make a killing. Do you think a podcast by John Laws would be huge?
Speaker 2: Does he know that his show is podcasts and every day you actually can listen to it as a podcast and podcast you've got one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know what it is even.
Speaker 2: You know how Netflix is TV shows on demand, podcasts or radio shows on demand. That's pretty much the basic way of explaining it. And that's what we are. Like. You can't tune in at a certain time twice, We're just there whenever you're like not live.
Speaker 4: No, well it can't be live. Are you bored now?
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 5: I'm the slightest.
Speaker 4: I don't want to bore you.
Speaker 1: No, we're not bored, No, not at all.
Speaker 4: I'm loving this.
Speaker 1: You know another old that John used to have, Mitch am I right.
Speaker 2: In saying it used to be what we call a rouse about in a shearing shed.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I was.
Speaker 5: Oh, what's a rouse about? In the shearing shed?
Speaker 4: You pick up the dregs and the shed off the tails of the lambs.
Speaker 5: And DAGs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you also, if you're lucky, you get to use the wool press a bit and pressing the wool. That's tough work, but it's great fun.
Speaker 5: How long did you do that job?
Speaker 4: For? Eighteen months?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't last the day.
Speaker 2: I was a farm boy, raised on a farm. Mom and dad used to always try and get me to help out with that stuff. But I was like, not for me. I was a bit too precious for that. Would that surprise you?
Speaker 4: I can tell you're a bit precious. I've detected that.
Speaker 2: But I was smart enough to realize if I do that job really badly, they'll stop asking for help.
Speaker 1: So I just kept stuffing up. It was fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if you did it well, they'd keep asking you to do it. And they would have. But it would have been very good for you. All that wool press stuff was good. All that wool shared stuff was good. And the blokes, the shearers and the mates you'd make and the shearers cook so they could cook. They used to cook great stuff. Shepherd spie, cottage spie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would bring food to serve.
Speaker 2: Because I ended up when I was no good at the rouse about judies, I ended up serving morning tea like I was the one giving the food.
Speaker 1: So they would bring food.
Speaker 4: No, no, they'd cook it there. But yes, they'd bring the food with them. Oh they were good too. The shed of sharing cooks yeah great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had a way better sharing shed experience than me. It was hell on earth for me.
Speaker 5: Could you tell me she's a country boy? Why looking at him? Born and raised it? Where is it Parks? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well it depends which part of the country.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of bogan Gate? It's just near Parks, That's where I'm from.
Speaker 1: You where bogan Gate.
Speaker 4: I've heard of. I've been to bogan Gate, haven't I?
Speaker 5: Have you been to bogan Gate? Is there a station in bogan Gate? Meet your radio station?
Speaker 1: Well, Parks is are like.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no. But I when I went around Australia, I wasn't doing radio. I was just going around Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blink and you'll miss it.
Speaker 4: That's It's a very good idea, you know, people. I remember my sister. As soon as she turned fifteen or something, all she talked about was going to England. She just wanted everybody wanted to go to England. Nobody by the day of a look at Australia, the greatest country in the world.
Speaker 2: I've always thought that, Like everyone's excited now that you know, international flights are a thing again after lockdown. But I would rather just travel Australia like all the ruined stuff like that.
Speaker 4: It's a good thing to do. It's a great country.
Speaker 5: Do you have a favorite city or you're a Sydney boy. You've always been a Sydney boy.
Speaker 4: I'd like if you settle into a place long enough, it becomes your favorite.
Speaker 5: Did you ever live overseas?
Speaker 4: Never lived overseas? No?
Speaker 2: I believe you were working in the US, though, weren't you when JFK was assassinating you reported on that?
Speaker 1: Am I right?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's that is quite right. A bear in mind, this is a long, long time ago.
Speaker 6: The President of the United States, John Kennedy, has been definitely it's killed by a rifle bullet. I'm in Hollywood, in California, and in a matter of ours, I've seen probably one of the most colorful cities in the world become a city in math morning. And this is just one city of an entire nation in mourning, grown men and women crying openly, almost proudly in the streets of Hollywood. All the entertainment has ceased. In Hollywood, the hub of the world, entertainment shops and offices and factories closed within a matter of millets of the announcement of the President's death. That's all I have for you now. So from the midst of this national tragedy that has left America lifeless and in sorrow, I return you to your.
Speaker 4: Studios and I say that, yeah, I remember today like it was yesterday that I've got to say, that was a good report I did. I went there to open the coaxial tables that came from the United States to Canada, actually to Australia. The Queen opened it, and I was the support act after the queen, Right, Yeah, how about that tough act to following.
Speaker 2: Have you ever in your career had a co host or has it always.
Speaker 1: Been the John Laws Show?
Speaker 4: The John Laws Show co host?
Speaker 1: Not for you. You wouldn't think that would work.
Speaker 4: Listen. If you're getting any ideas, forget it.
Speaker 5: No, God, no, he's got his resume in the bay.
Speaker 4: It's always been just me. Oh for a while, I did half an hour with I can't even remember a name now wonderful woman broadcaster. I can't remember a name. John Pearce used to work with her, and anyway, I can't think of it, and it doesn't matter because he's thoroughly did But for a while I did that and I loved it.
Speaker 5: Have they ever paired you up with anyone? Because in radio, especially commercial radio, they love to throw a co host just experiment. Yeah. Have they had a co host thrown at you? Or have they ever tried to squeeze someone in and say, John, we think you'd be good with this person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they probably have, but I would have told her you get out.
Speaker 5: We get all the reality stars in commercial radio. They'll say to me, Oh, this person one Love Island Australia, they won Big Brother, get them on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what for what?
Speaker 5: I say? They don't last.
Speaker 2: Do you watch any of those free to wear shows these days? Married at First Sight, Love Ireland? Those sorts of shows.
Speaker 4: You're kidding?
Speaker 1: Yeah, neither, not for me, It's not for us. What about music? Are there any new artists that are out and at the moment that you actually enjoy?
Speaker 4: I just love all music fair enough, As I said, I listened to as soon as I've finished here. I turned the radio on in the car to ABC Classic. I love classical music. I love Bruce Springsteen. At the moment I'm playing a lot of his stuff. I love my friend Roger Millet, I love Christopherson. I love music. I love music, Tom T. Hall. All those storytellers are great.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been a singer yourself?
Speaker 4: Yes, I've released seventeen albums? Really, yeah, where have you been?
Speaker 2: I don't suppose that you would be able to answer this question, but I do wonder if they're Spotify like I'd love to be able to stream.
Speaker 1: Them, these old albums.
Speaker 2: I'm what where would someone have to go to listen to these albums?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Here there we go, we've been handed them.
Speaker 1: Look at this, a couple of CDs.
Speaker 4: Picking them early men who rolled those? When long? You really got it?
Speaker 1: Me? You all and good?
Speaker 5: Look at you here with a den of jacket on. This is the Mind and the Music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was called The Mind and the Music was because it was an album of poetry and I wrote all the music and I wrote all the words, so it was called the Mind and the Music.
Speaker 5: Look at this, all the women in the shorts. You've never been trucked like this before. I like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I knew you'd like that. And I loved singing. I love singing. We had a lot of releases and did pretty well. Now put them down to can we keep.
Speaker 5: These and these for us?
Speaker 1: For all these Oh that's all right.
Speaker 5: Well you have to get them on Spotify, because there's a whole generation that have missed out on the musical talents of John Laws.
Speaker 4: I get it on what Spotify.
Speaker 5: Streaming, Spotify and iPhone. Get it on your phone.
Speaker 4: I got it there.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, he doesn't care about everyone else listening. He can listen to himself. It's all good.
Speaker 2: Did they get many radio spins? Did you ever play your own music on the radio?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because nobody else had play?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why the hell not?
Speaker 2: I reckon there, you go write that down, Mitch Star putting out singles and just play them yourselves. We actually got mitched, you know how I said that we play things we hear on talkback and then we kind of take inspiration from them. We got Mitch to improvise a poem because we heard one of your poems go to air. It was about country people actually in small towns.
Speaker 4: A little town is where everybody knows what everybody else is doing, but they read the weekly newspaper just to see who got caught doing it. Oh that's a good story there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so I heard that and I played it on our podcast and said, Mitch, I think you should start doing poetry like this, and he improvised the whole thing about Britney Spears, the whole free Britney thing.
Speaker 5: Like I'd sing to music ideas, so it'd be like we knew you from a girl, young titan Que, but now look at you like an old haggard boot free Britney. Let her out of that cage, p Britney. It makes me filled with rage.
Speaker 1: Are you across the Britney Spears drama?
Speaker 4: I don't care what a drama?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why don't they just leave her alone?
Speaker 5: I agree?
Speaker 1: Well they are now, so that's good.
Speaker 5: She's free. Britney's free now, which is all they wanted.
Speaker 1: I'm sure John really appreciates that update.
Speaker 4: What am I doing talking about Britney Spears.
Speaker 5: Well, this was a pleasure. I've really enjoyed this match. Anything you want to get off your chest with John, Well.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if we should ask him the question we ask every guest.
Speaker 5: I think you can do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we like every guest that we have on the podcast, we like to ask them a small thing in life that they appreciate. Like Angela Bishop said her water bed, Jessica Malboy said sitting in the sun, being barefoot in a garden. That was one of her small life pleasures. The reason I'm reluctant to ask it is because we call it our list of Things Better than drugs and dick, which is basically a psa to young people that there's more to life than boys and partying.
Speaker 4: No, there's not.
Speaker 5: No one's ever said that.
Speaker 1: I'll put that on the list.
Speaker 4: Is that it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you want, Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm happy to sit here a bit longer if you wanted to talking about anything else.
Speaker 5: Now we're done.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 5: Thank you for being here. It was a pleasure.
Speaker 4: Are you bored now? No, we can stay here all day, like he'll, thank you very much for coming to visit me. It was very nice for you to do that.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having this.
Speaker 5: There was a pleasure. You're a legend. It was great to be in your presence and in the studio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good. Studio.
Speaker 1: It's a big studio. Have you seen the Kiss FM broom closet studio? Like? This is the next level.
Speaker 5: Has Kyle been in here? Because if he were to see this, renovations would start at Kiss tomorrow. Kyle Studio is a quarter the size of this.
Speaker 4: Well, so it should be Yeah, car to the Talentah, is that it? You finish?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: You're bored?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not ordinal and you've got a long lunch to get to, haven't you have?
Speaker 4: I with a lot of people. What have you got on your own?
Speaker 1: Oh? It says art pop? You are you familiar with art pop?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: It's a Lady Gaga album.
Speaker 4: No, I like Lady Gaga, do you yeah? Do you know why I like Lady Gaga?
Speaker 2: Well, I would suspect that you'd be a fan of some of the classical stuff she puts out. She's got jazz albums as well as the pop stuff.
Speaker 4: But also I like her because one of my favorite people in the world likes Tony Bennett. Yeah, and Tony Bennett likes Lady Gaga. And Tony Bennett is a gentleman beyond belief and sings like nobody else.
Speaker 2: And that new album they put out recently is up for like a gazillion Grammys. So when they team up, magic happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you know something, we're starting to get boring. People listening aren't going to give a stuff about Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga. I'm going now, all right.
Speaker 5: Then, it was a pleasure to have you on. Great to meet you.
Speaker 4: You didn't have me on. I had you.
Speaker 5: You're that again, Yeah, a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 4: Well, it's been a pleasure to have you here. And anytime you feel like dropping by again, you're quite welcome. The door will always be open.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, John.
Speaker 4: That's a pleasure. You're You're you're all right. Looks.
Speaker 1: Thanks, that's a glowing review i've ever heard. Thank you, John.
Speaker 4: Thanks Johns.
Speaker 2: I got to say I'm going to go to my grave saying that one of the best things that's ever happened to me was being called young and stupid by John Laws.
Speaker 1: Yep, and he said, yes, you're a bit precious.
Speaker 2: I detected that that was a while, but what a treat.
Speaker 5: I think he's the only guest I've ever had in the history of ever to end his own interview. We're done now, Yeah, he ended it himself.
Speaker 2: But then when we're like, you know, let's go, he goes, what's that on your arm?
Speaker 1: I feel that he was enjoying.
Speaker 5: I tend to agree.
Speaker 1: I also love how he kept saying you bored.
Speaker 6: You bored.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's definitely like I said, that's.
Speaker 2: Him stirring exactly, and that mother Superior, his personal assistant, came up to us afterwards and said that.
Speaker 1: Went really well. John doesn't usually respond that well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact he thought that was bad, imagine how many shock and interviews he's done before this.
Speaker 5: If that was good, which we won't name who was there before us, but we were told from the team that they had an interview with a very well known publication before.
Speaker 1: The advocate Janny said he couldn't stand them.
Speaker 5: Well they're satirical.
Speaker 1: We're not satirical at all.
Speaker 5: No, we haven't joke. No, not show.
Speaker 1: It's a serious on my good Christian show.
Speaker 5: Well there you go. Yeah, fucking idiot. What a Christmas gift that was.
Speaker 1: I feel that Mitchell's rose is kicked in.
Speaker 5: It has and I woke up at three am today and it's almost three pm. It's twelve hours on the clock. My brain is cooked.
Speaker 1: Let's reflect on that though. John Laws says that there's nothing better than drugs and dick, So.
Speaker 5: That is to me a win. If we can take anything from his podcast, we get on the podcast now never return, and that could be our what's the word I'm thinking of, legacy?
Speaker 1: Legacy. I also love that he told you to stop being a fake bitch. That was his advice. He goes, you're no bullshit, be authentic and be a salesman at Bunnings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe be a salesman at Bunnings.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Thank you, John Laws. We may or may not abuse that invitation. The door's always open, he says, He'll.
Speaker 1: Take that right back. I'm gonna start every day being like, hello.
Speaker 5: Hi, John, you said the door is always open. We noticed it wasn't so just opening it is? It just me?
Speaker 1: A podcast by a couple of miches.
Speaker 5: Make sure you've hit follow on your podcast.