Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the sit Down.
Speaker 2: I'm Viv Christie, Managing editor for Australian Tennis Magazine, and.
Speaker 3: I'm Metrolope, a writer and editor for oz open dot com. And Viv, why are we sitting down this week with Evon Gula Gone Coli.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt, we are actually not sitting down with Evon Gula Gon Colly, but Casey de Laqua, a friend and former guest of the sit Down, sat down with Evon during the Night of Champions event last year. That was an event that benefited the Australian Tennis Foundation as well as Evon's foundation. And the timing is also perfect to bring you this interview because the National Indigenous Tennis Carnival has just wrapped in Darwin. Evon has been a huge part of that carnival, which inspires a lot of First Nations players, you know, following a trend of Evon's entire career. She's inspired players generally, including Ashbarti, who went on to emulate some of Evon's amazing achievements.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she certainly did. And you speak about great timing. It's also the fifty year anniversary of when Eyvon rose to world number one. We actually told this story during nay Up Week because it's a unique one. She wasn't recognized at the time as being a world number one. It was discovered more than thirty years later when it was revealed there were some missing weeks in the rankings and when they discovered the paperwork, they realized Evon had been number one for two weeks in nineteen seventy six, so she got retroactively honored for that achievement, spent two weeks at world number one, the first Australian woman ever to be ranked number one on the WTA computer. Just one of many remarkable parts about her career. Her Australian Open record is outstanding. Obviously Roland Garross and Wimbledon champion, and yet she's a player that has just inspired people the world over. And you can also hear it from Casey herself how much of an honor it was to chat to Yvonne.
Speaker 4: And well, Levonne, I think for someone like myself that absolutely grew up idolizing you, I don't remember anyone having such beautiful volleys on the grass as I saw you have them all the time at Wimbledon, and honestly, to be sitting here next to you. Being able to chat toy is always pretty special. But for you to be the guest of honor here tonight, the inaugural Night of Champions, it must be pretty special for you.
Speaker 5: Oh. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe all the tables. There's a lot of people out there, and.
Speaker 1: It's such a beautiful room, isn't it.
Speaker 5: And it's a gorgeous room. I've never been here before, so yeah, it made me feel really special tonight, So thank you all.
Speaker 4: Well, this Regent Ballroom, as we said, it's a beautiful room, but it is a long way from the wheat town of Burrellen in New South Wales where you grew up. Can you take us back to that time where you walked onto a tennis court hit against that wall and what it meant to you?
Speaker 5: Well, actually, I actually started playing tennis before we moved to Burrellen and saw my first tennis court. But in those days, my older sister and brother used to hit against the wall with a stick and using a ball that my dad found in an old car, and so they were using this stick and then he said, oh maybe I could get him to use something better than that, so he cut a handle out of something like this. That is awesome, how good an apple great board? And I spent many many hours hitting against the wall. After seeing my older sister and brother using this bat and hitting against the wall, I being the third youngest, took it off them and I wouldn't give it back. But then this isn't this isn't the same actual one, but it's very similar the one that I was using. My younger sister, who was a baby, then put it in the fire and burnt it. I could have killed her. But anyway, this bat has taken me a long way. When we moved to Burrell and I saw a wall being erected, I think I watched every brick being laid of that war. And so I kept hitting against the wall every day. And I used to see how many times I can hit the ball against the wall one bounce without making a mistake, Write the highest score in the dirt, come back the next day and try and beat that score. So I was trying to beat the wall, which is crazy. But there was an old gentleman who used to work in the hardware store, and his name was Stan Smith, of all names. Little did I know that I was going to meet a Stan Smith from America, and then we lived next door to mister Dunlop.
Speaker 1: No way it was meant to be.
Speaker 5: It was mister Dunlop, So I kind of figured all this was really meant to be for me, but it wasn't until I read this Princess Magazine story. There was four girls magazine stories, and this one particular one was called Princess Magazine and the story was about a young girl who has found trained and taken to this place called Wimbledon, where she played on this magical state court and she won and I thought, oh wow, that sounds amazing, But I didn't know if that place was for real until somebody told me he said, yes, it's in England, London. So after that, every time I hit the ball against the wall, I used to pretend I was there on that magical center court at Wimbledon, and every night when I went to sleep, I would dream about playing on that magical senate court. So was that dream that kept me going right up until the time I went to Sydney, And was the townspeople that actually took a hat around and raised funds for me to go to Sydney. So that were the first people to sort of help me achieve my dream, and that was the policeman, the banker. I used to call the busher, the baker, the candlestick maker, but there it was a policeman, it was a baker, and it was a hardware man. And they were the people that really got me here today. Otherwise they wouldn't be here. So that's what makes this special even more special for me, is because I'm able to by becoming famous, I can help other young kids achieve their dreams too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, isn't that just incredible? Yeah? Can I have a feel? Actually, it's actually quite incredible to think.
Speaker 4: No, wonder your hand eye, your volleys were incredible just by playing by that.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: When we've been running my husband and I ran the national camp, state camps, come and try days all around Australia since two thousand and five. And when I go to certain communities or see Aboriginal kids playing for the first time, they're all very shy, very scared, and they just sit there and look at you, and so I tell them my story of how I started and everything.
Speaker 4: It is incredible And it was like Wimwood and was almost like Disney but it was a.
Speaker 1: Real place for you.
Speaker 4: But let's go back to from Burrellen and you mentioned just before how you then moved to Sydney.
Speaker 1: What was that move to Sydney like for you? Terrifying?
Speaker 5: Actually, at first all the townspeople bought me a new suitcase and clothes and everything for the flights. And then when I got there in Sydney at the airport, Missus Edwards and her daughter Patricia picked me up at the airport and I was very shy, very scared, wouldn't say booed anybody until we got to the Sydney Harbor Bridge and I said, gee, we don't have to pay on our bridge and that's a four mile quick outside Brollin. And then and I also remember during that time, I was the happiest when I was actually playing tournaments. So I remember when we went to travel to Newcastle for the Matara Festival then and Missus Edwards took us with a girl from Gundi, guy Francis Laugh and Patricia. Anyway, we used to take turns in making tea. So I went around the corner and started making the tea and next minute, Evan, why are you taking such a long time I said, it takes a long time to get these leaves out of these stupid little bags. I'd never seen a tea bag before, so or I guess from the very beginning, it's all been about education, and that's been a very big part of my whole life.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 5: My mum always wanted us to go to school, and we didn't miss out in school in any days. And then when I went to Sydney, even though I was really homesick and everything, and I cried and live every other night, what I kept dreaming about was that dream. Was that dream that kept me going, got me over the homesickness and everything, and as soon as I got onto the courts, I was completely happy. I was at home. I always figured, you know, this is my own little world. No one could touch me. This is my own world, and I love it and I want to achieve that dream.
Speaker 4: Well, let's talk about those dreams and the Grand Slams then called. At the age of nineteen, you did win the French Open singles, and you won the Australia and Open doubles with Margaret Court. In nineteen seventy one, you won the Wimbledon singles title. As Lockie mentioned, earlier. But then you went back in nineteen eighty and you won wimbled and again that time as a mother.
Speaker 1: What was it like?
Speaker 4: And you became the first mother then to win in the title in sixty six years, which is just incredible.
Speaker 1: But what was it like winning.
Speaker 4: Your first Wimbledon title and then going back and winning Wimbledon the second time as a mother?
Speaker 5: Well? I think the first time, you know, I remember being up the top of the dressing room, walking down long, long, long corridor, walking downstairs, then another long corridor, and then sitting in a room opposite with your opponent. That first year I went there and her name was Pitches Bartkowitz. What a name from America. And so when you sit there, there was this big clock. All you get here is the ticking of the clock. So I'm sitting there quiet to talk. So by the time I got out, I looked up, saw all the people, looked up once, never looked up again. I just wanted to get off that court as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: So this is the.
Speaker 5: Second round, and they don't normally in those days put a young girl on center court for the first time their first year there.
Speaker 1: But what I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: I was written about a lot about in England and through Europe and the world, basically before I even got there. So so my coach said said, okay, we'll put you in the plate event for first and second round losers, and maybe you'll get used to the atmosphere and the crowd and everything. So I say, okay, you know, I just like playing. So I won that plate event. Then it must have worked because the next year I came back, I won the French and then was feeling great, and then went to Wimbledon and got through to the final against Margaret Court, who was number one in the world in those days, and she beat me most of the time in Australia, but I did beat her a couple of times and I thought, oh, maybe I could do a right at Wimbledon. Anyway, when I was playing her, I was feeling terrific. I was just so confident and so at home on that court. But then I sensed she's not playing as well as she normally does, so I took advantage of that. Anyway, I finally won, and I thought, yay, I achieved my dream, just like that, just like that Princess magazine story. So ever since, our motto was dream. Believe learn achieved. That's my whole life and what we're doing here tonight, I'm achieving that dream again. But anyway, so I came off the court and ended up winning, shook hands and everything and was all excited, and then sort of later on I was thinking, Oh, she really didn't play that well. Then I found out she was pregnant, and I thanked Barry since and because I know what that feels like. I played the US Open and was I got to the final four years in a row, and this one particular year I was. I was playing a started off great, then my legs got really heavy, my timing went off and everything, and anyway, I came off, found out I was pregnant. Anyway, So but but I made it into truvial pursuit. Who were the two I'll ask you this question, who were the two players who were runner up in the US Open four times? So as myself and Beyond Borg, and I did better than Beyond Borg, though I was consistent.
Speaker 1: I did it in a row. That is awesome.
Speaker 4: And this is why I just absolutely love talking to you, because every time your storytelling I learned something new. We were chatting back stage before I said it, I said, every time we chart, I think I know everything about Yvonne, and then I learned something more and more.
Speaker 1: Just incredible. The storytelling is awesome.
Speaker 4: Let's talk Australian Open, because you won it four times nineteen seventy four, seventy five, seventy six and seventy seven. Talk about playing in Australia and what it was like to win at your home Grand Slam.
Speaker 5: I was the happiest person playing at home, and obviously I love playing on grass courts and all the championships then in those days in every state were played on grass, and so to be able to win at home in front of my home crowd was probably one of the highlights of my whole tennis career, and even even in nineteen seventy seven, as you were reminded me of Roger and I. After Roger and I got married, we went and trained in Fiji in the heat in the middle of day to try and get used to their heat in Australia, and so when I got back and was playing, I just didn't bother me one bit. But I think that was really the highlight because that was the first Grand Slam Australian Open Grand Slam that have won as a mother, everybody gets a little confused and think that a it was Wimbledon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so just so everyone knows.
Speaker 4: In nineteen seventy seven the Australian Open was actually played twice. It was played once in January, and with scheduling changes, it was actually played again in December. And Yvonne and Roger had Kelly, their daughter in May of nineteen seventy seven, So in December, even when I won the Australian Open Championships, which is just incredible.
Speaker 5: I think motherhood toughened me up a bit.
Speaker 1: It certainly does.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty two, someone we both know very well, Ash Party won It won the Australian Open. Hush Barty, it's the Australian Open champion. It was such a beautiful surprise, especially being backstage Ash not knowing that you were going to be there. It was all a bit of a hustle and bustle to get you there.
Speaker 1: Then she wins. I have a little surprise.
Speaker 4: Put your hands together for Evon Gullagon Collie. But how special was that moment to be able to present that trophy to her?
Speaker 5: It was amazing. I had called her before the tournament started. I said I won't be able to make it because I've got pneumonia, and so I was at home recovering but watching her play of the whole two weeks and suddenly I had a call from Craig Carley and said, Evon, I said, how are you feeling? And I said, well, I've been having my and and appse every day and I feel fine. And so he invited not just myself but my husband and my son to help with Roger with his wheelchair and so on, and I said, yes, I definitely want to go. And it was absolutely amazing. They hid us at the Australian Open. They hit us so that nobody would see us, and so they snuck us in the back way and someone was in this room another room watching it on TV and tells you one. So that was fun. I really enjoyed that. It was a real surprise for both of us.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, I know it meant a lot to Ash. Okay, So since you retired from that incredible career we've just talked about, you've spent a lot of time with family and also supporting First Nations communities.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about your work.
Speaker 5: Well, we even before we formed a foundation.
Speaker 1: We meaning my husband.
Speaker 5: When I came back from America in ninety one, my mom died and I thought, that's it. You know, I've got to stay at home with my family. And when I rode back, I said, I want to do what the townspeople did for me. So Roger went ahead and he organized, you know, these whole all these trips, come and try days, state camps, national camps, and ran the whole thing. And and he's here tonight. Thank you, Roger, and.
Speaker 1: Roger around of applause. If you can believe it, it's.
Speaker 5: We've been married fifty years.
Speaker 1: A week ago.
Speaker 5: Uh so, so I got to hang in there for the for the hunt somehow.
Speaker 4: Congratulations. That is an incredible achievement in itself. And tonight we're raising funds for the Eyvon Goolagong Cally Scholarship, a collaboration between the Australian Tennis Foundation and the Evon gul Go Cali Foundation.
Speaker 1: Talk to us a.
Speaker 4: Little bit about how the scholarship it will change a person's life.
Speaker 5: Oh definitely. Well, I mean I know that our program has changed a lot of lives. What we did was we picked the kids that really shine and you know, they really try it life and so on, not just the best tennis players, although we will take them anyway. What we do is that we we pick them out from the com and dry days. And we followed that if they stay in school, they get to the state camps and the same thing with the national camps if they stay in school. So it was very important to concentrate on education and so that has been going on for a long time and I'm just so pleased that Tennis Australia we're kind of partnering now in doing the same thing all around around Australia. So it gives me great pleasure to be able to do this. I enjoy it. But the best part about it, I think is that you create a whole family from all around Australia, you know, and that's the fun part. So I'm really enjoying that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, keep that ever round of course for that because I have seen also firsthand the work that all of our team and your team has done.
Speaker 1: It's been incredible.
Speaker 4: If we could just finish lastly, if you look back over the years of playing tennis and the years since, I know what has brought you so much joy in tennis.
Speaker 5: I think first winning my first Grand Slam as a mother, I think that brought me the most joy, and then winning as a mother winning the first time winning Wimbledon was absolutely amazing, creating and actually you know, letting that dream happen, and then I think, you know, with and then winning as a mother the second time at Wimbledon. I remember that day because it was against Chris Evatt, by the way, and I remember that day because the officials came up to me didn't say congratulations, he said and did you know you're the first mother since doros A Land the Chambers in nineteen fourteen.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. He didn't even say well done or anything well play.
Speaker 5: But anyway, that was a real experience and that bought me so much joy.
Speaker 4: Oh, will you bring so much joy to so many people, Yvonne, Thank you for sharing your story tonight and continue to not just inspire First Nations people, but people are everywhere. You're one of the true legends of our sport. There is no doubt about it. So can everyone please give a huge round of applause to our guest of honor, yvon Polagone Corley.
Speaker 3: Well, viv Yvon mentions the joy of winning wimbled and she brought so much joy to people who have watched her. I never got to watch her live, but I've watched lots of highlights of her. Her gracefulness, her anticipation, her creativity, the way she flowed across the court. Just a wonderful player to watch. And not only was she a beloved figure here in Australia, but she had a global fan base and people remember her so fondly and it was really cool to revisit those moments in her career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and speaking of joy, what about that moment the Australian Open in twenty twenty two when it was you know, it was already such an incredible achievement having watched Ashbardy win her home title, but then Eyvon came out and I, you know, she spoke about it had been kept this huge secret, and yeah, I think we were as surprised as anyone. And I'm not sure that I've ever felt, you know, so great watching a moment in Australian tennis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really goosebumps going back and watching that. We'll be back again next week with another episode of the sit Down, Please subscribe so you never miss an episode when it lands in your feed, And if you could leave us a rating or a review, we'd love that too. See you next week, viv, See you then, Matt,