Speaker 1: Have you ever lost weight and wondered where does the body fat actually go? On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we deep dive the science of fat loss and explain what happens to the fat when you actually lose it. Hi, I'm Leanne Ward and I'm Sussie Burrow, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, your weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition.
Speaker 2: As well as all things fat loss.
Speaker 1: We chat through our diet tricks for winter, We've got a new protein coffee in the supermarket, and our listener question is all about oxalates. But to kick us off today, Susie, we are chatting a little bit of a fun topic with a little bit of science behind it.
Speaker 2: Where does the fat go when you lose it?
Speaker 1: And I must admit, for many, many, many many years, I was like, well, you just like sweat it out, don't you. And then I went through my degree and you know, I learned about this science and I thought, well, this is a very interesting concept because we actually breathe it out. It's one of the very most fascinating facts about nutrition. When we lose body fat, we actually breathe it out. So body fat is broken down into carbon atoms, which are basically converted into carbon dioxide, and we breathe or we exhale that carbon dioxide out through our lungs. So the majority of fat that we lose actually leaves the body through breathing it out. I guess at some point I thought, what makes sense if you just kind of like reabsorb it back into your body. Maybe, but actually it breaks down into carbon dioxide and we breathe it out. A small amount does leave the body through water as well, so we can sweat a small amount out, we can cry it out through our tears, it can kind of disappear through other bodily fluids, but the bulk of what we actually lose when it comes to fat is actually breathed out. And I did a post about this on Instagram and it got received quite well. But then I had a whole bulk of people dming me afterwards saying, well, okay, if we breathe it out, so when I do a workout and if I pant heavier and I breathe really heavy, I'll lose more, right, And I had to write back and say it, and I actually no, unfortunately not. Wouldn't that be nice because that would make that loss a lot easier if we just panted a little harder, But it actually doesn't work like that because to actually lose body fat, you have to be in a calorie deficit. You have to technically undereat in order to have those fat bells shrink down and disappear, and then to get rid of that through the body. The body then breaks that down and you know, we breathe it out, so it doesn't just magically disappear the harder you breathe. Unfortunately, you have to decrease the fat cells through the process that is a calorie deficit, and then the way that the body actually gets rid of that is through the carbon dioxide and breathing it out. So yeah, a little fun fat for the podcast. So, if you were, on average to lose about ten kilograms of body fat, around eight and a half kilograms of that would leave the body through your lungs as carbon dioxide another roughly kill on a half of that would leave the body through water, so most of it is actually exhaled. So yeah, funnily enough, the next time someone tells you you sweat your fat out, at the gym, you can tell them, actually.
Speaker 2: No, you breathe it out, which is interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I think the thing that's interesting is the fact the body works really like a machine and it's a fuel cycle, because I think we're taught, oh, you're burning fat or you're burning carbohydrate, and it doesn't work like that either. It's a complete cycle. So that's why sometimes you can be eating two little carbohydrate to optimally metabolize fat, because it's like a cycle.
Speaker 4: You sort of start with carbohydrate.
Speaker 3: And then you move on to fat, and it's proportionally amounts of calories that you're burning. Basically lean the body is so incredibly smart, like we are just so naive to think we've got any real control over things. Like it's out smarts at every given turn. And that's why I'll describe it to clients that when they're losing body fat, particularly if they've carried weight for a while, they'll often notice changes in body shape and size before numbers on the scales. And what I'll describe to them is that your body has to mobilize the fat to burn it. Basically, it's a whole system. And if you've had fat sitting there for twenty years. It doesn't just move quickly to be burnt like it doesn't like it. The body likes to store, not burn, which is why it's so easy to gain weight. So when you do notice those changes, it's almost the body is mobilizing old fat stores to enter these cycles in a cellular level. And of course, the best thing for all of us to know is that the more muscle must we have, the more metabolically efficient we are, because that's what actually burns calories. So yeah, it just takes us back to physiology one I one at university, doesn't it, But yeah, it's actually super fascinating. And as I said, why, sometimes you need that long period of time to see distinct changes in body composition, and those changes in measurements are the most pronounced suggestion that things are changing in the body, sometimes even before the scales, and that's why you have to look at a number of different measures. But the best thing at the gym, of course, is often heart rate as well to making sure you're getting that burning efficiency. What I see all the time is clients who are moving a lot, but not actually training the muscle to burn calories more efficiently. And the best way you can infer that is from h heart rate. I'm seeing a lot of women who are happy to do their walks and happy to lift weights, but their heart rate never goes much beyond one one twenty. And really to train the cell to be more efficient and burn glucose as the first feel more efficiently. It's about getting the heart rate working harder that good or cardio of the eighties and nineties. So yeah, the heart rate will tell you a lot about what's going on in proportions of calories. And that's why you can be doing a lot in your head but not seeing any change in body composition. And it's highly likely your body's used to what you're doing. But it comes back down to training the muscle to burn more, and really you've got to get that heart rate to that one point that Panting has described, which is indicative of burning more fuel. You're taking more oxygen in and burning more effectively. So yeah, fascinating, but yeah, no, we don't just leave the fat behind on the road when we drop it off, which is disappointing.
Speaker 1: I will also make a quick point that I was talking to one of my clients about this. Like you said, if you've had, you know, fat hanging around for ten twenty years. It doesn't just immediately disappear. And what also happens to fat cells, which I think is surprise this is a lot of people, But when you really think about it, it makes sense why losing weight for some people is actually the easy part. Maintaining it and keeping it off is the difficult part. Because when you actually lose weight, your fat cells mostly shrink. They don't just vanish, they don't just disappear into thin air. They just shrink down. So that is one of the main reasons why fat loss is incredibly difficult to maintain, because the body still has the fat cells available to basically refill if excess energy is consistently consumed. If you're eating above the amount of calories that you need, you're having blowouts every weekend. You've done a really strict diet, you've lost the weight, then you've gone back to your normal eating, you're going to put the weight back on again because the fat cells can shrink down and they can also very easily refill as well, and that's why so many people are so prone to putting back on the weight after they've lost it. So it's not just a good idea to work with a dietitian to lose the weight. It's actually a great idea to work with a dietitian to maintain the weight loss as well, because for a lot of people it comes on far quicker than it ever came off. So that's just another important point as well, and just sort of understanding how the human body actually works as well, and that's why so many people have such a hard time keeping it off. It just creeps on so quickly because those fat cells are just there and the ability to refill them is pretty easy, particularly if you've had a few nice, big weekends or something.
Speaker 3: Or yes, like you said, eating wealth four days a week, and then the weekend comes and underes all the work very quickly. Well, not unrelatedly, and it is winter, and winter does tend to mean that we are less likely to press pause or snooze on the alarm, not quite make it to the gym, skip those afternoon sessions, not get up early morning and do a walk, then like to sit on the couch with a lot of Netflix and comfort food, things that tend to be hiring calories, And before you know what, we come to spring and the pants are on, the clothes are all a little bit snug, and you think, how has this happened to me? And what we would like to say is the time to act is now. So if you can't afford a European holiday where you spend the next month or so in Europe walking around and eating salads and seafoods, the time to act is now, is it not the ad and take control before it is too late. So we thought it was time to share our best diet tricks for winter. This is a segment we tend to do yearly annually, but there's a reason for that because it is so easy to gain weight. And I would actually argue it's not the food, because I think the food there's always heaps nips of food around. It's the lack of activity. Like I've had so many clients in the past week say to me, I couldn't go out because it.
Speaker 4: Was raining, and I was thinking, well, it didn't rain all the time, like put a rain coat on.
Speaker 3: And again I think I've said that joke last year too, Like we do tend to use every excuse under the sun. So if I was putting energy into anything right now, it would be to be making sure that you've got a default or a backup option for working out, particularly if you work and live in the Southern States Melbourne, Tasmania. Like it isn't pleasant to go out. It's dark very early. I'm in Sydney and I have to be honest, it's so pitched like at six o'clock even with my dog. I'm a bit like, well, it's not great to be walking. But you've got to have a back then. So you've either got to commit to a short term gym membership somewhere like any time where you can literally go after work and walk on the treadmill or use the exercise bike, or if you know you're not going to do that, either you know, hire an exercise bike or a treadmill. There's always heaps of them online. People are flogging because they don't use them. But you've got to get it and make a commitment because there's no way if you don't do any exercise through winter, let alone walking, there's no way you'll get off scott free. When it comes to weight like, you've got to move just to prevent weight gain, let alone if you want to lose it. So my focus would really be making sure that you've made a plan to move an exercise and walking for most of us isn't enough.
Speaker 4: You've got to walk on an incline, you've.
Speaker 3: Got to get the heart rate up, you've got to get cycling on a bike. So you know, don't kid yourself thinking, oh, I'm going to go for a walk and then it's raining, cold, wet, you're tired. It never happens like this is the daily decisions that add up. So yeah, that's the first thing. You've really got to think of an alternative for the exercise options, particularly if you're living in a colder climate. The second thing I would do is that if you know that you do spend weekends out socializing with alcohol, pub food, indulging in curries, casseroles, group barbecues where there's so much food around, you've got to have some lighter meals in the week, and that is having just a soup, that is having just a plain grill of fish and roasted veggies. So really making sure that you have the lighter meals each week and load up. If you're doing winter comfort foods, most of them you can make significantly lighter just by loading up the veggies. So if you're doing stir fry curry, which is heavier, do it with cauliflower rice. I did the other day. I've been doing some new recipes and I did a chicken pie and I wrap them in filo. Now, it was messy, but it works. They tasted just as good as the good or puff pastry. You don't need it, or you know, you buy pies, don't eat all the pastry. It's so thick on there. You only need a little bit to get that flavor. So there's definitely alternatives in most meals that you're cooking that you can have a lighter version. If you're doing a roast for the family, stick to the chicken breast, ditch the thigh, ditch the drumstick, go for the pumpkin over the heavier abohydrates. Like you know, it's quite easy to make these swaps, but you've got to make a distinct decision to do so, because otherwise you just lose June July. Before you know it, it's August and you're wondering why you're heavier and not feeling as great in your body. And the third thing I would say is if you're regularly eating out and uber eatsing or even cafe breakfast. Just cutting back on those to once or twice a week at most will make a massive difference, because even if you're choosing their lighter options at places like the Mexican or Thie or fish Bowl, they're double the calories or el Janna like we've got el Janna near us, Like the meals are like a thousand calories, you know, and it might be chicken and salad, it's still high calorie. So you can limit those heavier meals to just once or twice a week, you're going to go a long way and keeping the calories under control through this time of the year when it's easy to pick up a takeaway and Uber eats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And I think in this time of year, like we want the warm and comforting foods. You don't have to shy away from them and no offense. So like cauliflower rice is not rice doing that one, but the rest of them are really good good solutions. But I love a good solocal give meala. I can find I can pack so many veggies in.
Speaker 3: And people can eat more cauliflowers that's very negative.
Speaker 2: I don't like coliflower. It just in the curries.
Speaker 1: If you even notice, if you even notice, yes you do notice, Come on, hit us up on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Do you notice of cauliflower rice?
Speaker 3: Is rice starts get canceled online like it's hard enough.
Speaker 4: Don't even start that.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, let's say brown rice, brown or black rice A little bit, A little bit anyway.
Speaker 1: Where I was going with that is local because I love my Solcal guy. I've been doing local because for a month it's such an easy, great way. When I'm buying meat as well, I'll buy just a bit of chuck steak. It's a lot cheaper than obviously buying like an I feel it or something.
Speaker 2: You've got to trim it really well.
Speaker 1: So I always buy a bit more because you trim quite a lot of the fat off.
Speaker 2: And then you just pack that socle with so many veggies.
Speaker 1: And the base is just so simple, like a tin or two of tomatoes, a bit of you know, a cup of red wine if you want to, you can leave it out, a bit of beef broth in there, and then just onion, garlic, and it just makes such a great base. You could do so many things in the slow cooka and soups is Susie mention, it's just such an easy way to get in the vegetables, Like it's so hard to sit down to a salad in the middle of winter, particularly when it's rainy.
Speaker 2: Like I get it, Susie gets it. We're only human.
Speaker 1: We don't eat a lot of salad in winter either. But soup is a really great way, so local good meals or a really great way to get in that veggie and get in that protein as well, because obviously, like a lot of comfort based meals don't have a super high amount of protein, and we know how important protein is, particularly starting your day off with a balance amount twenty thirty grams at breakfast, thirty grams at lunch, thirty forty grams at dinner. That higher protein amount controls blood sugar levels, control satiety, helps with metabolic health. There's just so so many benefits, particularly for women as they age, where if your goal is to increase your body composition, like change your body composition, put on some lean muscle mass, you need to have that higher protein diet. And if your goal is weight loss as well, so getting in that protein from great sauces like eggs and cottage cheese together good combo. You might do eggs and smoke salmon or avocado cottage. She smoked salmon. Sort of combineding some of those protein choices to give you that higher amount can be really really great for hunger because the reality is a lot of people feel hungrier when it rains, when it's cold. Susan, you know, I both have clients who Texas and they go away so hungry today, and it's like, are you hungry or is it just because it's raining, or you hungry it's just cold today. So a lot of the time, those colder, darker, wetter days make us feel more hungry. So that extra protein bulk, that extra vegetable bulk can go a really really long way. So casseroles, curries, baked dishes. You know, you can do a pasta bake and reduce down the amount of pasta and double up the amount of vegetables in there still have a warming, comforting meal that the macronutrient.
Speaker 2: Distribution is a little bit different.
Speaker 1: So Susie's mentioned the other big hitters, like the exercise levels, getting the heart rainar but they're probably the best diet tricks for winter to ensure that you come out the other side into spring and you know your genes are actually doing up properly, you're feeling good in your clothes, and you haven't put on that, you know, extra two three kilos over winter, because that's what is really really difficult to get back off on a lot of people. They might put on a kilo or turble winter and it never really comes back off again. And that's where people can find that you know, they put on you know, five kilos over the last maybe five six, seven years, because it's just that very slow creep each winter or over Christmas and it never really comes back off again either.
Speaker 3: I think the other one that you've reminded me is having a hot lunch. I find when people are having to sandwiches or wraps or salads, they don't feel fulfilled. I think when it's a bit dreary outside, you're not feeling it at work, and you're likely to need that hot chocolate in the afternoon.
Speaker 4: I'd say, have leftovers and hot food for lunch.
Speaker 3: So do the curry, then, do the spaghetti bolonnaise then, because then you feel really nice and satisfied all afternoon and you don't get that kind of craving that kicks off in the mid afternoon, so that's another trick that tends to work really, really well. Speaking of which leanne some warming foods, there's new protein coffees in the supermarket, which doesn't surprise me, and I've seen recently Starbucks too have started a protein range, although there's on my mind you're a little bit high at thirty five grams and a drink, you don't really need that. But this will be a product that you might have seen. This is the Macona Protein Latte coffee, which I thought was a fascinating product and I'll be super interested to see if it survives in supermarket because it's marketed as ten grams of protein per serve, which is not insignificant, and it is retailing for ten dollars at Woolley's at time of recording. And I said to you, what do you think. Let's have a little look at it now. I've had one person posts they really like it as well. I think as a bit of a coffee snow if I'm honest, I have my daily latte from the coffee shop. I myself don't buy kind of instant coffee or things like that, but they can be incredibly cost effective like I know, particularly people who are rural and who don't have access to coffee shops or briisters all the time, or who simply want to be more budget conscious and save some money because your coffee, My coffee in Sydney is good. I get a large three quarter skim Laarte at my local and they use little math in it, A very nice coffee only for fifty I pay each day. But Leanne in bris Vegas, which you think could be cheaper, what do you pay six fifty or something?
Speaker 2: Crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, David and I coppee snobs, so we hunt around for the best coffee and together I get siin milk, so I get slugged an extra dollar for that. David gets skim milk and we pay I think fourteen seventy or something for two medium Yes copies, I know makes me.
Speaker 3: Cry, and mine is particularly cheap, like most of them in the area are not like that, and I can see how people are just like that is ridiculous. And then the other thing, actually someone told me the other day is that they've started to only pay cash because every time they were putting through their tap the cart it was costing them fifty cents.
Speaker 4: And I thought, that's that's right.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of surcharges we're paying when we're tapping, and I thought, oh, that's quite savvy too, just tab your coins.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I digress.
Speaker 3: So it is quite budget friendly if you find a mix at home that you actually enjoy. So I think for a lot of people this could be a really viable option. So let's have a look at the nutritionals. So the first ingredient is bovine collagen so not marine collagen and animal based collagen forty seven percent, followed by milk, solid sugar, instant coffee powder at nine percent, glucose syrup, sol vegetable oils, flavors, salt, vegetable oil, vegetable gum, stabilizes, a mulsifier and caking agent. Now, I would say that this is a very similar kind of mix to those instant coffee sashets, because to create that texture and mouth feel with milk that is long life, you have to add these additives in is it ultra process? Absolutely, you're not going to get the same as a fresh barwster coffee with protein in it in a product in a little sashet or powder. That's just it is going to be absolutely an ultra processed food, so with added sugars to make it taste good. So if I look at the nutritionals, Oh there's a couple of flavors.
Speaker 4: Actually did you know that?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a caramel one. What's that one?
Speaker 3: Caramel lache? Oh maybe we should look to the one. I'll look at that sugar in a minute. Can you read them? Because I can't find them, and I'm going to look up the caramel one.
Speaker 1: It says eight servings per pack, so ten dollars the tin. You've got eight servings per pack. Actually I know a bit about this, Suzi because my friend Keisha. Shout out to Kisha, she's a nutrition couch, very loyal fan out.
Speaker 4: We love Keisha.
Speaker 2: I lovely Kisha.
Speaker 4: She supports us so much, think you.
Speaker 1: So she sent me this and she's like, what do you think? So I've been down a bit of a rabbit hole. But the tin makes eight servings. So if you prepare it as directed in a twenty gram serp, which is you know, good sort of what teap spoon or something, you're getting three twenty killer jewels, which is roughly seventy five calories ten grams of protein. As they advertise, very low fat, less than a gram of fat, less than a gram of saturated seven point seven grams of carb, six point five of that being sugar, minimal dietary FIB and minimal sodium as expected. So as she said, it is a ultra processed food. You know, there's vegetable oil, there's vegetable gum, there's a mulsifiers as stablers. But like you said, these types of instant sashet coffees do froth up really well, like they have a really good frost on it. So I have used some of those when I used to work at the hospital. I always used to use like one of those little saschets or something because I was, you know, didn't wasn't really making good money back when I first got employers in New Grad and I couldn't really afford my coffee shop coffee every day, so I used to use so sachets as a budget little hack. But they do froth pretty nicely. But when you think about it, like I get a medium soy cappuccino that's my order, is it way more expressive than there's absolutely I'm not debating the costs, but about a cup of soy milk or a cup of skin or a cup of fool cream. How's about eight grams of protein anyway? So would I be having this for an extra one or two grams of protein? No?
Speaker 2: Is it more budget friendly?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: But also is it way more process Also yes, you're also not getting the calcium in that you would get from a normal cup of milk as well, So a Borista style coffee or making yourself with some normal instant coffee on a cup of hot milk is in my opinion, a better choice nutritionally. You are getting also better quality protein. So bovine collagen is absolutely fine, but the collagen is not a complete You're lacking some of the essential amino acids. So if you were using this, as I always say, collagen protein isn't the best like post workout protein because you are lacking some of those essential amino acids. It doesn't contain the loucine in there, which is what's needed to activate muscle protein synthesis. So if your goal is like gaining muscle mass, using a collagen protein isn't a good idea. Using something like a WPI protein powder is much better. Yes, there is protein in collagen but it's not the best type of complete protein. It just feeds into that overall protein intake for the day. So I don't have a problem with the protein in collagen, but just be careful.
Speaker 2: What you're using it for.
Speaker 1: If it was tasty and the clients loved it, I wouldn't take it away, like I'd be fine with them having it, knowing that it does contain a lot of extra I guess, like fililsin and mulsifiers and vegetable oil as well, which is probably not needed. But I guess if, as you said it, if you're wanting to save a bit of money, you're looking for a little bit more than just a standard instant coffee, You're looking for more of that nice, frothy experience, I would probably recommend it, but I don't really think the protein is that significant. I'd rather my clients used to sache and you know, made that on warm milk or something, because then at least they're getting into some calcium with their skim milk as well. That's kind of my thoughts, but it's not I wouldn't recommend it, but I also would not I wouldn't personally buy it myself, but I think it's interesting. They just jumped on the protein trend, haven't they, But they've also forgot that if you make it your coffee on a cup of milk, you're also getting in a close to ten grams of protein anyway, if you're using dairy milk or soy milk.
Speaker 4: That is true. Actually, that's a good point. Yeah, I'm like you. I think it's super interesting.
Speaker 3: I think that for people who are using sashet coffee without the calcium, without the protein, this is a way to get some protein in. I'm actually these sugars are actually pretty good on it. Like I looked at the caramel latet one, it's not significantly more sugar for that one. So I think as a once a day kind of a little indulgent hit of caffeine that you like that tastes good and gives you a bit of protein.
Speaker 4: I don't have a problem with it. Would I buy it?
Speaker 3: No, it's not a product for me, but I buy coffee at the shop, so it's definitely affordable if you like it as well. So yeah, I think it will be interesting to see if it survives and see if there's a mark for this kind of product. Because my gut feeling with it, just as looking at a sociological perspective is that I think generations, say forty down would even fifty down a coffee drinkers. These are the people who have had Barista coffee in their lives for their whole life. You know, they've been happy to spend four five six bucks a day since they are twenty, whereas my parents, who are in their late seventies, they would never, very rarely spend five six dollars on a coffee unless it was something special. And I think that supermarket products like this suit that boomer generation, and I don't know if they would pay for protein in their coffee, but I could be wrong. That's just my gut feeling with it. It would for me be a market of a fifty sixty year old who enjoys coffee, who doesn't want to spend money on a Barristo coffee, who is knowing that maybe I need more protein, and whether that's enough to keep it in supermarket will be interesting to see because my mum and dad wouldn't look twice at this product. It's just they don't. They use good old incidant with milk. That's just how they've rolled since the seventies and eighties. So yeah, I think that's actually they've got a coffee machine now, I should say, but yeah, that's what I think. When you look at supermarket, you got to think who is the target audience for this? And I don't think that people in their forties and thirties are buying this. I think they're still they're happy to spend on an oat laste or whatever. So but we'll see. But I thought, yeah, it super interesting, and yeah, I wouldn't give it anything specific. I think if you like it, have it, it's no real harm. I'd say one a day. I wouldn't be encouraging someone to have twelve grams of added sugars from their coffee. But yeah, the only downside, like you described, is they're not getting any calcium from the milk, which is a rich source of calcium in the diet of many people.
Speaker 1: I will say, though, I'm interested because when you mentioned something about this is a good way to have a coffee, to me, like, these instant coffees don't have a lot of caffeine, and it's interesting that they don't have to label the caffeine anywhere, right, And when you look at the ingredients. The instant coffee powder is only nine percent. Using this for a good hit of coffee, like, I have two three coffees a day on a bad day too, mostly, but this isn't going to even touch the edges if I'm replacing my you know, nice local coffee shop coffee with something like this nine percent instant coffee powder, Like they're not even labeling the amount of caffeine in it, which tells me that it is pretty low.
Speaker 2: Right, Is that a fair assumption?
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And then you're actually getting more of a hit of the sweetness than you are the caffeine. Well, instant coffee is what between thirty and fifty milligrams.
Speaker 2: And this only is nine percent instant coffee.
Speaker 4: Yah, so you're not getting very much. You're getting less than a can of cooke.
Speaker 1: I think I think it'd be the equivalent of a cup of tea or something.
Speaker 2: I think it'd be pretty low.
Speaker 1: So if you if you're wanting a bit of a buzz from your caffeine hit, probably not the product for you. But if you are someone who wants to keep the caffeine quite low because you are quite sensitive, perhaps this could be a nice little treat. So yeah, maybe maybe for some people, maybe for not just I think an interesting product overall, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to get a good review, all rightly, And we'll fair. I find a question of the day. It's a listener question, and the question was do I need to avoid oxalates in food if I've got an issue with my iron? And I thought, oh god, now we're getting super micro looking at things. So I'm interested in what I'll start to your segment, but I'll just start with what I think and then Leand can tell me what she thinks, because I thought, that's a hard question to answer. So oxalates are basically naturally occurring compounds found primarily in vegetables, leafy greens in particular like spinach and kale, also a little bit in nuts, and they do impact absorption of different nutrients. So high levels of oxalates do in theory block not in theory, they do block iron absorption. So then the argument is should I be eating my spinach or kale with my piece of steak, because that's basically what the listener's saying. She's saying if I'm trying to absorb MI and should I be avoiding oscolates, and I would say probably not because it's a lot more complicated than that. So, for example, if you then consume your steak spinach with a vitamin sea rich food like red capsicum, it's actually going to optimize the absorption and basically stop the effect of the oxalate. If you cook your vegetables, that oxalate amount is significantly reduced. If you consume oxalates with calcium, it helps bind them and that helps to reduce the effect on iron absorption. So in theory your question is correct. Oxalates can impact iron absorption, but the reality is it's probably not a main issue in the sense that I would say if you were cooked having uncooked spinach like spinach bag, you're probably because you know something else I found out yet, Did you know that English spinach has got a lot more iron than silver beat?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: And I was shocked, right because I would have thought silver beat, like good I popeye spinach would have had a lot more iron. But no, actually that English spinach and the bag's got more than silver beat, which was surprised. But you actually are much better to have cook spinach leaves that will help to reduce used to oxolate content with your steak, then you are to have a spinach salad because the oxylate in the raw stuff is going to technically bind it more. But yeah, in answer to the question, it's not really a big thing to worry about it. It's not a real thing unless you are having abnormal amounts of high amounts of any of those things. It's probably not an issue. The body's actually pretty good at absorbing what it needs. The only thing I'd say about leafy greens is you're probably better just to cook them if you're worried about iron absorption.
Speaker 2: I disagree.
Speaker 1: I think the research isn't conclusive, and it's so low, like the non hem iron from plant foods is so low.
Speaker 2: That if you're a vegetarian, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: There's good hem iron in a steak and you're getting the bulk of that iron out of the steak. I think, to me, I've never ever recommended that clients, never have, you know, spinach with their steak or something. It's never even really crossed my radar. The evidence is not great. Oxalates mainly affect the absorption of calcium, not really iron like, it's a much lesser extent that it actually affects iron, particularly from plant based foods. So and as I said, the iron is predominantly coming from your steak, like you're basically absorbing all of the heat mine from the steak, and it's absorbed by a very different mechanism that you're getting the non chin out of the spinach anyway, So to me, it's not really a concern at all. As I said, it mainly affects the absorption of calcium. So the only time I'm really concerned about oxalates in food is when clients have a history of kidney stones or are suffering from kidney stones, because it's pretty high, something around seventy or eighty percent of kidney stones are calcium oxalate stones. So if you're someone that has recurrent kidney stones and you've had issues before, or your doctor or your dieticians recommended moderating oxalate containing foods, that can be and is very highly recommended in terms of a prevention strategy for kidney stones. So that's really the only time I'd be concerned about oxalates. I think there are some, in my opinion, unqualified people online who talk a lot about like being worried about the oxalates and naturally occurring foods. But as you said, Zuzi, the body is very, very clever, and things don't simply work like, oh, if you eat an oxalate food, you won't absorb other types food. It's so much more complicated than that. So to me, I think we're just not simply eating enough fruits and vegetables and legumes and nuts and seeds. The last thing we want people to be concerned about is oxalates. So I've never once said to a client, be careful about the oxalates and a food, never ever, unless I mentioned that they've got an issue with kidney stones. And even then it's only really under the recommendendation of a doctor if they are those more specific calcium oxalate stones anyway, So to me, it's not it's not really a thing that the average person needs to worry about.
Speaker 2: That's my takeaway.
Speaker 4: Good, good answer. I like it.
Speaker 2: Excellent. Well is that mano?
Speaker 1: You me?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Well, that brings us to me into the nutrition catch for another week. Thank you for your sport on the podcast. It means the world for us. We love having our little chit chats with you. Every week and if you're new to the podcast and you don't know Susie and I have scientifically formulated a range of supplements.
Speaker 2: Because we basically just got the chips with the rest of.
Speaker 1: The supplement industry and thought we can do this so much better ourselves, and so we did. You can find the range at designed by dietitians dot com and thank you for listening.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.