Speaker 1: Are you a mayonnaise person. Chances are if you are, you have your absolute favorite and as one of the most popular dressings or even spreads. We reached forward a flavor of our salads and sandwiches. We thought it was time for a review of mayonnaise. Hi, I'm Susi Burrow and I'm leam Wood, and as two of us days leading dieticians who specialize in evidence faced nutrition, we bring you the Nutrition Couch product review, but weekly chat on new products and old favorites you can find in the supermarket solely a mayonnaise. Now, I have to be honest with you, I am not a mayonnaise fan, except I love chicken sandwiches, and so if I find like one of those amazing chicken sandwiches that's got the celery and the nuts cut in and it's like in a mayo mix, like, I adore that. Like if I could learn how to make those, I would be a very happy person. But I actually don't really use or buy mayonnaise. So I'm coming into this a little bit.
Speaker 2: Left.
Speaker 1: I guess it's not something I'm overly familiar with. So I was interested to see the products we've picked today. But are you are you into Mayo.
Speaker 2: Nah, I'm not really a Maya go. I'm like you, like if I've got a fresh chicken sanger, and this is like as oussy as we can get. I think, like, you know, fresh, nice hot chicken breasts and fresh salad, a really nice fresh roll. Of course I put some mayonnaise on there, but I don't even have mayonnaise in my fridge. Like, it's just not something that I use routinely. I know, I've got a lot of clients who just love it. They put it on everything. My brother loves mayonnaise, he puts it on everything. But I'm just not I think it's not really a big sandwich person as well, Like I would rarely eat a sandwich and less I was out somewhere and it was a convenient kind of lunch option. I don't know, that's not really my thing. So yeah, I'm not really a big Mayo person. But we have got a lot of requests for it, so we thought we should we should definitely cover it because it is a sort of oussy cult favorite.
Speaker 1: It's so popular. I like, there's so many, So we've got three we're going to have a look at today and the first one is the Coal's mayonnaise, which is listed as ninety seven percent fat free now retails for three dollars. The first thing I will say, which might be a little bit I don't know, maybe it's a bit naive or a bit silly, but as soon as I see ninety seven percent fat free in a mayo, I don't think it's real mayonnaise because mayonnaise is high fat. That's the mix of it. So I'm always a little bit like, well, it's kind of not really proper mayonnaise, that would be my first takeaway from it. But you know, it is lower in fat and calories because of that. But yeah, in my mind, it's not true kind of mayo when it's low fat. But obviously from a health perspective it makes a difference. So let's have a look at the numbers. So I service twenty five grams, so that would be a good heaped tablespoon one hundred and almost one hundred and fifty killo duels per serve, or thirty five calories, not much protein, very little fat. There's a low fat food with less than three percent fat, nothing saturated, quite a lot of carbohydrate. Seven grams so almost a quarter of that is carbohydrates and a fifth of that is sugar, is almost at four point seven gram so you're getting like a teaspoon of sugar in that product, which is a little bit of lumming. One hundred and seventy five milligrams of sodium, which is not overly and significant given that it's a small amount. We recommend less than two thousand milligrams of sodium. So that's almost a tenth of that in one tablespoon. So it does add up ingredients water, white, vinegar, sugar, may start, canola oil, antioxidant, salt, egg lemon juice, vegetable gum, preservative, veggie powder, food acid, spicex strikes herbax structs, natural color. So yeah, it's a low fat product. They're basically mixing a range of different ingredients to give the sour flavor of mayonnaise without the whole egg base that was giving the fat load that we see in sort of a high fat regular mayonnaise. Pretty processed, a lot of bits and pieces in it, but it's made in Australia, at least eighty nine percent of Australian ingredients. You know, i'd put it, I guess in the categoryly in of it's like a low fat dressing, you know, a little bit. It's not going to harm you and the grand scheme of things, it's not overly good, it's not overly bad. I'd give it a six out of ten. You know, I wouldn't buy it. I don't really recommend it, but yeah, it's not adding too much in what do you think?
Speaker 2: This is one where I'm because it's such a small amount of a product. If I had a client who loved Mayo, I work with ladies predominantly for fat loss, and I've got to keep the calories in check, so I don't really want them having, you know, one hundred plus calories on a little tea spoit of mayonnaise they're going to put in a sandwich. So this is probably something that I personally would recommend for my clients if they were Mayo lovers and they wanted it on their sandwich or their wrap or something like that, just because for me, you know, it's energy density. It's probably half, if not more, you know, half the calories of some of the other options out there. So although it does have a little bit of sugar in there, it does have a couple of extra ingredients in there. In the grand scheme of things, I think, considering how little we are using I would assume people would use in a recipe or as part of a wrap or a sandwich, I would probably be pretty happy to recommend there's even though it is a little bit more processed. I'm probably more inclined to go to the lower fat option here and the lower calorie option in the grand scheme of things. That's my personal view.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a fair cal if you're keeping calories control, it's going to be a smart option, particularly if you don't mind the flavor.
Speaker 2: And I've tried it, it's actually not bad either. It's not like it tastes like to me. It just kind of tastes like mayonnaise.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just not creamy, you know, when you have the full fat I do use sometimes mayonnaise in a pie, Like I've got a recipe for a pie that you mix frozen veggie, some soup mix, and some full fat mayo and it creates a creamy texture. So it is lower in fat than save full cream in a chicken pie. So you know, it's got a much richer mouth feel. Whereas I have tried the low fat ones. They're sort of much lighter obviously, So yeah, you're right, you know, as a spread on a bit of bread and just for a little bit of flavor, it's not going to be doing any harm because when we take a look at the this is a full fat one we've got now, which is the QP Japanese Mayonnaise three hundred grams four dollars seven. Is this like a well known product that people like, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Four disclosure.
Speaker 2: We threw it in there because this is like cult favorite. And shout out to our student Amy, who actually helped to selects all these products this week. This is something that I think I think they use it in a lot of like sushi places in Japanese places, a QB Mayo, It's something that a lot of client's enemy like, I love Mayo. I will only have this one. I will only have this brand. So I think it's sort of like a cult favorite. The mayonnaise lovel is out there really do love this one, but it is it is pretty calorie den it packs a punch.
Speaker 1: So this is good. This is real mayonnaise. So this is soybean oil, egg yolk nine point five percent to still vinegar, salt, rice, vinegar water flavor ine hans to sixty one, so a nice smash of MSG and they're just a flavor it up and a preservative. So but you're right calorie wise, so you're looking at about one hundred calories per serve, which is only fifteen gram so almost if you were doing a similar serving size to the low fat you'd be getting close to two hundred calories in this mayonnaise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like five six times the amount calorie wise then the other one. So I think you know, if the goal is fat loss and this QP mayo is your favorite mayo, use it very very very sparingly.
Speaker 1: That's eleven grams of fat in fifteen grams. It's basically all fat packs. So if you've got with thirty grams a heap tablespoon, you're gonna get like twenty two grams of fat. Let's packing a big pipe plus a MSG plus two. I wonder people like the taste of it, yeah, because it's got all that fat plus and MSG to go along so delicious. Oh that's funny. That makes sense why they use it in sushi places.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting that soyboon oil is the first ingredient, Like, I find that quite interesting, Like I've never really heard of soybean oil before. Yeah, I guess it's quite traditional how they make that Japanese mayonnaise.
Speaker 1: And I'm just having a look at the list of we should have done this before. Actually the ingredient list of like a, there's sort of ones they use in and sort of Jewish grips when they're doing the bagels and smoked salmon. They've got a couple of mayos that they're very font of, very cult like following. So I have a look at their ingredient. But you're right, I haven't seen soy been oil before. And yeah, but their MSG is an interesting one. Hey, well you do that.
Speaker 2: I'll go through the nutrition panel. So this one, it actually says on the ingredient list contains egg, mustard, preservatives, soy and soy beans, so a few you know, allergies there to be aware of. And in terms of the nutrition panel, as Susi mentioned, it's only fifteen grams serving size, so compared to the Coles Low Fat one that was twenty five grams, so you get significantly less serving size, significantly more calories, So you've got four hundred and forty kilo gills per fifteen grand serving, which is, you know, sort of one hundred calories. You've got basically no protein, and the eleven point four grams of fat, which is a very high fat product, but only one point eight grams of that are saturated fat, so the fat balance isn't actually too bad. Very minimal carbohydrate less than a gram of carbs basically the mayos or fat. There's no ruler for carbs, zero grams of sugar, zero dietary fiber and theyre obviously, and one hundred milligrams of sodium. So in terms of the nutrition, I mean, I'd never give mayonnaise a ten out of ten, no matter how good it was. But I think in terms of the coals as Suzi is that I'd probably give it maybe a six or seven. When it comes to mayonnaise, the QP Mayo or Susie, it'd be hard pressed to even get two stars to two out of ten from me. How do you feel, I'm a I'm a bit harsh. Taste wise is probably ten out of ten, let's be honest. But nutrition panel wise, there's nothing really in there that does it for me?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't like the MSG. Well the S and W Mayo, which is a very well known brand as well, they are also using soybean oil and also nine percent eggs, so that's obviously a bit of our just recipe. But the one I'm thinking of is Helman's Helmans is the really famous one that a lot of people will only have Helmans and that's listed as vegetable oil seventy seven percent, so then disclosing what type, which is alarming, and that's only eight percent. Well that's eight percent egg. So the baseline mixes for commercial mayo are pretty similar. It's coming from a large dose of vegetable oil and about eight to nine percent egg. But yeah, I'm not loving this this QB because of the MSD. I'd probably give it two. Yeah, we've got two and a six. Are we going to come in at the end with the hour? Oh, here we go. There's the Audi Yeah yeah, Audi Coal Way. We've had a lot of requests for Audi product. A popular man come to the party. So this is the Audi Coal Way authentic mayonnaise eight point eight percent egg yolk. So obviously they're infering quality based on the proportion of egg serve of twenty grams or a tablespoon, almost one hundred and fifty calories per serve, So again, sixteen fifteen point eight grams are fat, four one point two saturated, little to no carbohydrate, ninety six sodium, so very similar profile vegetable oil, salted egg, yolk, water, spirit, vinegar, sugar, salt, lime, juice, thickener, natural mustard flavor, antioxidant. So at least it's got a natural flavor in it. Oh yeah, I don't know if I sort of am a bit of the belief if you want to have mayo, like have a bit of the one that you really like, and as long as it's about the portions. Really, for me, with mayo, it's a bit like pesto, Like, well, well pesto is a bit better fat, I guess, but they're high fat food, so you've really got to watch your portions. And I think a tablespoons too much, Like that's almost half your daily intake of fat for a small female in a serve of mayo, and it's not great fat that you're getting. So I would much prefer a serve to be like a teaspoon, like keep it really small as a spread and then have the real stuff as opposed to having the more processed in large amounts. That's probably the position I would take with a mayo lover and use it very occasionally as opposed to be adding it, you know, several times a week. So that's probably where I'm sitting with it. Go the real one that you love, and use less as little as you can if you have to have it every day. I with you, go the low fat one. And I'm not a fan of a mayo with MSG in it at all. I think keep clear of that.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, so much of a considering the nutrition panel is very similar from the Aldi one and the QP Japanese one, probably would definitely go the Aldi one. It's cheaper and it's also it's a product of Germany. The QB ones Japanese and the Coals mayonnaise is actually made in Australia, so you've got three different you know, buying Australian is important to you. Well, maybe the Coals branded one's a bit better. The Aldi one is German, but I definitely think the ingredient list is a little bit cleaner and a little bit better and definitely doesn't include the MSG, which I think is actually really important, particularly if you giving it to your kids. But yeah, so no, no, no, maybe five five out of ten. You know, no gold stars here in terms of mayonnaise, But I agree with you. I think portion sizes is absolutely key, and even trying to thin it out with a little bit of water. If you are using it as part of like a dressing or something like that, I think there's definitely better dressings out there. I think if you're putting it on a little bit of a sandwich or a wrap on a burger, that's absolutely okay. But if you're using mayonnaise regularly as part of a salad dressing, I think you should probably thin it out with a bit of water, a bit of sider vinegar, lemon juice, something like that, to just make a little go a little bit further.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really interesting with sources because I just myself, by chance tonight went down and had a little look at sauce aisle for something else I was doing while we were waiting to record this, and I couldn't believe how many there were because I don't use any of these kind of sauces, with the exception of maybe tomato so there are huge numbers because with burgers and things, the issue is when you have them with mayo. This is a good example with chicken burgers, particularly the ones that you get at fast food joints. They've got loads and loads of mayo and that's why they've got also that burger sauce now, which is a Mayo kind of creamy blend, but they are so high in calories, like they're literally adding twenty grams of fat to any burger that you're having at a minimum because they lather it on. So it's a good take home message that these sauces for the pleasure that you get out of them, is it really worth twenty grams of fat for just that little serve of a high fat sauce. So I think they take her message for everyone is just less sauce is really better. Use it perhaps for special dishes or if you're doing a really special salad that wires mayonnaise, because that's in the context that a number of my clients who like sort of those very specific brands, it's often when they're making a recipe that's known for mayo as a base, as opposed to using it on something all the time. So I'm with you. If someone was wanting to use it all the time, I absolutely would be suggesting the low fat version, even though it's a pretty processed food. And I guess the other thing for me, Leanne is I want to know what kind of oil it is. I certainly don't want it to be palm oil sludging into my mayo so or blended vegetable kind of oil, so check of it. You're better to have something that is documented as a specific type of vegetable oil on the label. And as we said, we're not big fans of the MSG or the additive sixty one because we know that primes people to want more of that and it's not good for our sort of brain centers that drive appetite. So yeah, it's been very enlightening for me to have a look at all these products, and it's a reminder of how many sources can slip in without us even realizing it. You know, if you're adding spread to your toast in the morning, salad dressing, mayo on spreads or sandwich peanut butter are like, you know, several sauces can be adding up to give you know, twenty thirty forty extragrams of fat per day without you even realizing it.
Speaker 2: And if you're someone that loves the sushi that is drowned in the Japanese QP mayonnaise and the gogs fat loss, perhaps rethinking that one as well, or even something like if you're going to I don't know KFC as an example, and you think you're doing the right thing by adding you serve veggies and you're getting a coal sal or on the side again that's drowned in mayonnaise as well, So you're sort of about doing the added benefit of adding some of the veggies when something's drowned in mayonnaise as well. So just be very worry about the extra you know, sides and things you think you might do doing the right thing. But if something is got you know, drowned in mayonnaise like coals or or like sushi, is the calorie and the fat content can add up very very quickly.
Speaker 1: And if you ever have the chance to ask for no sauce, he's also going to save you a significant amount of fat and calories, particularly in fast food meals. All right, Well, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch product review. For another week. If you haven't done so, we would love to have you subscribe and have us delive it every Sunday and Wednesday morning. We love chatting to you on our social sites. We have both Instagram and Facebook for your questions and feedback, and we will see you on Sunday morning for our weekly regular drop. Have a good week, have a good weekend around