Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts. You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is Christian here. Thank you very much for checking out today's show. Now, the one thing I'm excited to talk about today something I've been working on for a couple of years. I've written a new book and it's out for pre order today, comes out in July, and it's called Unscript, The Radical Act of being Yourself, and it's about something very very dear to my heart, which is about how we connect to each other and what gets in the way to deeper, real connection. And one thing I've noticed, and I know that you all would have noticed this as well in your own lives as well. Over the last couple of years, we are becoming more and more disconnected. As we spend more and more time online. We're losing like this muscle that we have to connect with each other. And the more time we are online, we think we're being social. And if you would, you think, but a social media isn't actually that social. It's more about the algorithm wants us to stay in the algorithm, and it feeds us division and anger. It's not about true connection. That is not where true connection lives in front of each other. We're losing this. And the one thing about why I think radio is a magical, magical media more than TV or anything else, is that radio is about right now and the radio we do and the radio you hopefully like listening to. And we've heard this through so many stories from you guys, day in, day out. Is it's a chance to actually drop the performance that most of us do in all of our lives. There was a point before I decided to move to Australian really change our lives, where I was driving home from a radio show I've done four hours I took for four hours. I built that show that had two and a half million listeners. And you know, sometimes you catch yourself in the mirror. I was stuck in traffic, which was every day in my life in London, and I looked at myself in the rearview mirror and I looked away because I certainly realized, you actually haven't said anything for the last four hours that you actually meant. I'd realized I was performing a version of myself and I think this happens to a lot of us. We're performing a version of us house and it wasn't just a work. I realized it was starting to creep into my home life as well, so I made it. I'm also as how exhausting it is to keep up this performance of a version of yourself. And again, social media is great, there's so many great things about social media, but what it also shows us is a fake version of people. And think it makes us think that we need to be some perfect version to have connection with other people. And the one thing I can tell you is that people are starved of real connection. You don't connect to someone trying to be perfect. You connect to someone when they drop the act, when they unscript is what I've called the book Unscript. The radical act of being yourself. Being yourself is going to become harder and harder for the next couple years because we're opting out so much of our voice and what to say and what to think, increasingly to AI. It's a lot of fake people online influences fake and also AI slop as well. And so the book is called Unscript. Written it with one aim in mind that actually it helps you get excited about having better conversations because our lives are a series of conversations, and how we talk to each other is actually the quality of our lives as how we connect with each other. And I do think we're drifting apart from each other. And the joy of doing radio is that it's real time connection and its authentic connection. So the book is really that I hope that you enjoy how to have better conversations and true deeper connection wherever you are on your lives. So that actually, I think for a lot of people, everyone knows how to speak, but there are certain situations where speaking becomes tricky and normally an old story you have about something somebody said to you once or something where you felt shame and you don't want to feel that again. I was coaching someone last year who just wanted to have the courage to ask a question on a team's meeting that was public speaking to her, it's hard these days, isn't it. Put your hand up and ask a question. You're frightened of looking forwarlish But it keeps us locked away, it keeps us imprisoned. We think it keeps us safe, which is why we develop all these different scripts and a mask. But at some moment, that mask in that script that cape us to kep you safe like it did for me for years, will actually imprison you. And so I made a decision to stop performing a version of myself mccaugh become more and more myself and the radio that's been the last eight or nine years, especially since I moved here. The great news about that is it involves a hell of a lot of effort, and actually you realize that true connection, the best conversations you've ever had with your family and friends and your partners, you will have left that conversation where it felt there were no calories spent. It's effortless, you said, I think, oh my god, have we really been talking for four hours? There was no striving, there's no performance. And so that's what that's what I've seen that in Patsy. I've seen that in Rio. Since I've been working with you guys and helping you guys, is where you were Patsy eight years ago and where you are now. It's been an incredible thing to witness as well as if you've become closer to yourself, and I ready producer Kitlin as well, where she was now and the bouncing ball of energy. She is running this team and running the show as well along with you. Are you both as well as your journey of becoming more yourself and shedding those masks.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And I think that when you talk about when you're talking about you in the car, I think about a song that he'd home with me is a Ben Folds one?
Speaker 6: The best imitation of yourself?
Speaker 1: Yes, is that?
Speaker 6: And I remember hearing that and.
Speaker 5: Thinking about maybe three or four years ago, that is exactly the way I feel. And then yeah, like the last three or four years, just feeling like you don't have to put on an act or listen to those voices inside your head and just be yourself and that that's enough.
Speaker 6: Mate. I can't wait to read this book. I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Will don't thank you. The book comes out in July. You might think, bloody el Christians April. Why are you talking about it now? It's out for pre order. If you're go on book Topia and Amazon, you'll find it there. The reason is is that I'm talking about you now, is that if you are going to get it, please do me favor buy it on pre order. The reason is is all the bookshops look at pre orders to decide whether or not they're going to stock copies of your book. And so right now someone were thinking, who the hell is this guy and he's going on the radio. I can't see them being a big demand for his life story about how to connect deep with people. They look at the pre orders. If there are good pre orders, the book's going to be more easy if you'd buy when it comes out. And I promise you I've put everything I know about connection that the book is full of stories of me basically screwing it up so that you don't have to. It's thirty years of stumbling at home and on air, many stories that you don't have to make, the horrible, messy mistakes that I've made as well. And on the messiness, there isn't a single perfect radio show I've ever done, and I don't ever want to try and do one. This show is all over the place, and I'm sure you agree it is the better for it, because actually the messiness is where the magic is. All the stories we get from listeners. The last hour of these stories about what you used to think posh was when you were a kid, it's that messiness that's what being a human is. And then the next couple of years, what's being a human? What's real and what isn't human? With AI, it's going to get harder and harder. So the real invitation is to double down on what being a human is. Being a human isn't about being per It's about being messy. It's that inner wido that we all have, and you will have a lot better life when you embrace your inner wido. That's what I should have called the book, but it's called in unscript. Now, if you go and pre order the book book Topia or Amazon, it really helps me out and as a favor and a thank you, the one thing I'm going to be doing is I'm going to be doing a whole load of these. These are going to be live YouTube shows that I'll only be going to be doing for my pre order pals. So if you pre order the book and you send me your receipt email it to me Christian at Christian O'Connor dot com dot au, you'll be invited to some very unique part book club part whatever it will be. It'll be live from my house, meet with a couple of wines, unscript and uncork it'll be called at Home with Christian from my home to yours, but that will only be for my pre order pals. So if you're getting the book, please pre order it and have a look anyway, read about it online, have a look on Amazon or book Topia as well. You can pre order it there. It's called unscript And when you do get the book, most importantly, I hope you get something from it. I hope you actually stop reading it halfway through, throw it across the room and then go and have a conversation or tell a story in a different way you haven't done before. Thank you enjoyed today's show to.
Speaker 4: A Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Good morning, it's the Christian O'Connell's show for Chemistry Warehouse. Good morning, Pats morning, Good morning, Rio.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Good morning, Alex morning.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: These days we have metrics, metrics, metrics tracking everything we do, doing, how many steps to calories, the exercise you're burning, next, times you're not doing, how you sleep. I'm just pinging by my phone a message from my Ura ring letting me know how I slept last night. What do I do with this? This just messaged me right now? Recovery up forty three percent. Oh, but I don't know what that means. Recovery from what life, childhood issues, mom and dad issues. I'm forty three percent better than yesterday. That's incredible. I've been during the night.
Speaker 7: Well done.
Speaker 1: Wow, already hit a lot of quantum meeting.
Speaker 6: I don't like when it tells you of your sleep, But.
Speaker 1: Then this one better recovery despite twelve percent less sleep. I know what the twelve percent left sleep is about. Though. I was scrolling on my phone yesterday that we do scrony scronny.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 1: Then it came across an article about this show.
Speaker 6: A good one.
Speaker 1: Well, why do you think I've got less sleep? If it's a good one, you're like, that was nice nap. If it's a bad I'm workshopping at Ted Talk. Then I'm never going to do I'm going to say this, I'm going to tweet this. I'm going to suddenly a Trump at three am make Australian radio great again. All right, on a Wednesday, we do your midweek scores. I think on a Wednesday it's kind of like halftime. How is the week shaping out for you so far? Is it how you thought it was going to be? And we also you tell about your week so far three word Wednesday. How's your week going so far? In three words? Patsy, what's it for you?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 10: My day yesterday did not go as at all as well as I thought it was going to. As I was driving home, I knew I was coming home to an empty house. My daughter was at school, my husband was at the office yesterday, so I had the whole house to myself, and I was rather tired, and I thought, you know what, it's going to be a perfect day for a little nanny nap, just a cheeky little nanna nap. No one will be in mind.
Speaker 1: How long do you get now? I set time enough for no more than half an hour. I used to do two hours, and that's dreadful.
Speaker 10: I do two hours.
Speaker 1: How do you fel afterwards?
Speaker 10: Fantastic?
Speaker 1: Do you all right?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 1: I used to feel just drained. Do you Yeah? I would just not take calls for an hour. I tell people, don't ever call between three and four. That's not my sleep, that's me recovering from the sleep.
Speaker 6: Two hours is a full, full sleep.
Speaker 1: Your body starts to go in a sort of shut down mode as well. I think sleep is.
Speaker 10: Coming yeah, that three to four hour I find the hardest these hours, isn't it. It's like kind of feels like five, like you're walking over broken.
Speaker 6: Glass or something.
Speaker 1: It is. The book publisher said, hey, we've got this amazing opportunity if you did with this book thing. When your book comes out and at the game of the day it's sort swinging three and four. I can't do that. I said, No one's buying a book from that guy. They were like what, And I explained. They were like, okay, we'll move it. There's a ten am, ten thirty, eleven twelve that's still in the good So the butteres got thirty percent left, so you can make an international call. But you're not downloading any new apps exactly. Okay.
Speaker 10: Anyway, I got home and I made myself a lovely sandwich and I thought, off, I go. I had my pajamas on.
Speaker 1: It you watch anything on TV. First of all, I.
Speaker 10: Didn't even turn the Telly on. I was straight for bed. I even made myself a little heat bag for my back. I thought, this is going to be fantastic. I've been looking for.
Speaker 1: This is a high level napping. This is great.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was brilliant, drew the curtains. It was very dark. Oh it was so good, like a bear cave. And then the doorbell went and I thought, I'm not expecting any packages. What do I do? Do I ignore it? And they were very persistent, funny hell to the door, and there was a tradesman standing there. He goes, Oh, hi, I'm here to put your phone line in for the internet. Your husband called me.
Speaker 1: What someone you're instilled in the landline dial up patch has taken it to dial up.
Speaker 10: No, I just needed another point in Chris's office. But Chris, for my husband, did not tell me there was a tradesman coming.
Speaker 1: And I said, oh god, you must have been filthy. And I guess you were in your ninety as well. The face cream was on the handnecks, cumbers, rollers in their hair.
Speaker 10: Anyway, I said, he didn't remind me. I didn't realize. I said, Hell, is this like a quick job? He said, oh, you know, a couple of hours or bringing.
Speaker 1: Into the land job.
Speaker 6: Oh no, it's not a quiet job either.
Speaker 10: It wasn't in the roof. The dogs were barking. It was just ridiculous. I thought, I can't send him away like Chris's booked him. It's a part of his routine. I'm not going to do that to him. So needless to say, my window closed, slam shut. Oh noday slammed shut and shut at the clue.
Speaker 1: So you've had no nap, no nap. Oh now we have to pay a very heavy and napchack has just been served on us. Oh no, Pats, go on, I'm calling the langham. Now prepare a bed for her. Oh no, it's going to be off the chain today, off the hook, no red flag warning. Now you know what to do at the beach.
Speaker 4: Christian Condor Show podcast.
Speaker 1: How's your we going so far Wednesday? Three word Wednesday? Tell us about the week so far? Three words text me four seventy five three one o four three. Good morning to Debbie Potter. When you're texting the show, tell us your name and also let us know where you're listening. Debbie Potter, congratulations for tomorrow. What a moment in your life. She's retiring tomorrow. Oh and Debbie, are you retiring, retiring, retiring or are you easing into it? Because my dad retired and then went through a succession of seriously twelve other jobs. He just couldn't. It wasn't good for him. And now he is retired, retired, and he was doing jobs that he had no business doing. My dad gets a stress with an abundance of joy. He needs to step away from too much joy. He took a job right at seventy three at a children's amusement park, and I said, hey, listen, they don't need seven crust the old seventy three where I was like you, they're getting moody. Okay, there'd be an incident, okay, you yelling at a kid, sure enough, and then a week'd quit just said the noise there, it's a children's it's a noise. It's a noise of joy.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's joy.
Speaker 1: It's not noise, it's joy.
Speaker 6: What did he do with the amusement part?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you talk about like the wrong person for certain people. He was the guy that was meant to be going up the people like queueing to get in, saying, hey, you're only about forty five minutes and you're in, and so he just and all the kids were like, you know, and so the kids is irritating you. In his lunch break, he would just drive off from the amusement park, find a lay by someone have his lunch, and just get so stressed about going back to the children's amusement par Okay, So Debbie, good luck. Let us know are you retiring and retiring? Retiring or easing your way into it? Also, I want to know how old you are. What do you think is retirement age these days? I think people are retiring later unless they hit some sort of big windfall. Yes, when you go yeah, yeah, no, I'm retired and plan you're young and only fifty two, you're thinking they got some kind of fat cap buy out. They invested in shares, something, they saw some opportunity. There's some guys mentioned something called uber and they gave them a couple of k and now it's like paid off.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I reckon maybe average age seventy five.
Speaker 6: Sixty five?
Speaker 1: Sixty five you're kidding sixty five five?
Speaker 10: You can get the pension at sixty five, I believe, is that right? But it depends what you do, Like if you're a trade like a concrete or a bricklayer, like really hard physical Yeah, do that to your seventy seventy five Shira, Yeah, yeah, you're back.
Speaker 1: Suddenly went for shaer one, we'reever file away from farm jobs. But it's just like, perhaps you haven't concrete to trade e Sharer the three most common jo like I always think it's not the ones you see on the board game. Guess who are you? Malcolm the sheer Malco today? Oh yeah, someone just messaged me. You didn't put your name on this, but they're three word weeks so far? Impressive dumpster fire? Was that today's show? I'm happy with that. I aspire every single day. My dreamers they get out of bed. It's for another impressive dumpster fire of a radio show. Real what's your three word weeks so far?
Speaker 5: New statement piece? And I'm keen to get your guys thoughts on this. We haven't taken our Christmas tree down since last year?
Speaker 6: Why April? I know it's one hundred and twenty five May.
Speaker 1: Perhaps May this weekend? Oh yeah, that's my that's not a statement piece. It says you've given up all your like students, We just sort.
Speaker 6: Of we never got around to it.
Speaker 5: There's never a good time to take down the Christmas there is afternoon.
Speaker 1: It's always something better to only work a half day. Let's be honest, you work a half day, take it down this afternoon. You've got no.
Speaker 6: Excuse, no no, But now it's like now I take it down.
Speaker 5: Now I've got to put it up in a couple of weeks anyway, for Christmas anyone.
Speaker 6: And it's a good talking point.
Speaker 5: We had people over last Saturday and they're like, oh Christmas.
Speaker 1: Dress, that's what they say to you. And you know, I always think there's two conversations when people come around to yours, right, there's the one they have to and then the real conversation, which I always thinks should be a podcast, is that uber ride home the debrief The debrief, Wow, we aren't those the best bits of the night? What you say?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 1: I always think there should be a TV show just literally people from all over the world get getting an uber or taxi home from some event and where they go, what the hell was she wearing? And she had some work done? Not great either, not great.
Speaker 10: I always get in trouble from my family because I, while I loved it, I love Christmas is we all know. And the tree goes up on Melbourne Cup Day. Soon Boxing Day comes and they actually like protested last Christmas they said that's it because Boxing Day boxes come out. I'm ready to put had enough of it, I'm ready to put it away.
Speaker 1: You know, my wife's just saying she loves Christmas. And then the moment that is six sing boxing day, it's over real quick boxing. It loses it shine real quick for my wife. She wants to get Christy to throw the tree out of the house. But what did it do wrong, Like it's a bad family member or something, showing the door kick to the curb.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm scared to invite Sarah over. Now what she's going to think, throw.
Speaker 1: That tea out there? Yeah, sure, she'd throw that out the window. That Christmas tree also, I just think it just the only time you see them up now, are in really cheap hotels trying to sort of add some fake a chair. Or airports around the world. You know there's always a Christmas tree someone like a Singapore airport. Yes, yeah, there's always a Christmas tree there. Yeah. Yeah, that's so. You think it's a statement piece.
Speaker 5: Now, I think it's evolved into a sort of bold fashion choice, a daycor decision that we've made.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, if you're out in John or something like that liber art shack, get it, you're not I don't.
Speaker 5: Think it's quirky, it's flair. Maybe Architecture Digests might come over and do a little special.
Speaker 1: On our as a of hipster. Yeah, actually that's a compliment. Yeah no, faux hipster, Alex. What's your three words? Wednesday? Found my wallet and you never gave up. You believed it would come home. I just kept searching.
Speaker 9: The search never ended, Christian, and I found it under the stairs in my son's, my four year old son's little preschool kindergarten bag.
Speaker 1: Oh he's part of a gang, as he must be. They're in Patsy's Gone News a lot, aren't that at the moment, the Gangs of Melbourne, they get them young. Now it'd be five bombing shops next machetes.
Speaker 6: And I didn't care what you're doing.
Speaker 1: You been seeing your bank account. I don't know what's going on. One of those cloning card machines under his bed as well, Daddy. I'm working for mister big promotion this weekend. That's what you're I'm running my own vape store the black market. Dad, It's very little. Was everything there, the cards, everything was there.
Speaker 9: I didn't cancel my card. I didn't have to go and get any license, and even thirty bucks cash was in there. Still, I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, if that kid had that watlet in ten years time, he's suddenly fourteen and fifteen that cash in there. There's nothing left in that wallet, it's all been rinsed.
Speaker 4: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Every Wednesday, we ask you, how is your week going so far? Tell us about it in three words? Three World Wednesday, you can text me your fourth seventy five three one oh four three. We're just talking about Deb Potter, who messages earlier. She's retiring tomorrow and we want to know a few more details. Deb is an amazing person. She is an angel like all the nurses. She's been a nurse for over forty years. She's sixty four. She's retiring tomorrow. Debbie, enjoy your retirement and thank you for everything you've done. My mum was a nurse, Her three sisters were nurses, My two grandmothers were nurses. A lot of nursing in my family. They work so hard, it's incredible what you do. She's been nursing around Australia for over forty years. Vicky her three word weeks so far? Dream bubble burst? What has gone on? My friend? Has it really burst? Can we repair that dream bubble? VICKI, what's happened? Ipe? Think's okay?
Speaker 4: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: It's the Christian O'Connell's show. I'm now obsessed with the life and times of Deb Potter. The lady you miss is saying that she is retiring tomorrow. She's been a nurse all over this country for forty years and I message and saying what are you going to do? This is incredible. They're going on a lap of Australia. Ah. That is enjoying. That's not retiring. That's that's fullhearted living. I'd love to do that. My wife and I always talking about doing that. And Christian we've been listening to the show from twenty twenty nine, so you're in the future, bloody, we're still going Oh my god, wow. I think maybe mid twenty nineteen from Melbourne, Aubrey Wodonga and camera in Theory. I retired Becausetian last April, but got bored waiting for my husband retired from forty plus years in the army in the infantry, so I took a small job operating theaters at Port Macquarie. We picked up a new caravan and Ford Ranger super duty in Canberra mid May, planned to do a very slow big lap with our two mid aged dogs. We will still be listening on the iHeart app using our starlings. Yeah, so I got one of these starlings. It's incredible, is that the Tesla one?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they are a lot of friends of mine who have boats and that they've taken them all over the world. Wow. And you can still get satellite receptions, so she will she will be able to listen to us. I think we just track how they get on.
Speaker 6: Would love that.
Speaker 1: Could we have regular updates? You know what they call this? Is it gran nomads?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: When the carriers wanted to track one of them, like what happens, what they see and what do they do? So many bits of Australia we don't even know about, and that you've never met anyone who's ever been there, because the last parts of Australia are all pushed to the edge, aren't they. All the cities are shoved out to the edge. There's this big bit mega bit in the middle that's about half the planet that we're never going to go to We don't know about what are they going to see. I don't know what I saw yesterday that I've never seen before in my life. A pelican.
Speaker 10: Oh really, you've never seen a pelican?
Speaker 1: Well? Seeing them kind of like kazooba in the wild. They're not native to the UK, obviously, they're normally for very hot countries. They normally are around deserts. They're not going to mean the UK. They shouldn't be here. It doesn't make sense plans desert.
Speaker 8: Know.
Speaker 6: I looked at it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't belong here. How is it here in Australia? I don't know. And you know there's certain stuff that the palms brought over them. Yeah, this open cage were going to go off, you go go and destroyings. Yeah, this whole list of them. It's kind of a reverse arc, that's what That's what we did. But surely the pelicans shouldn't be here. How did it end up here? I don't have that native to Australia.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's native.
Speaker 1: But how did it get here? Someone actually introduced it. I was looking at this pelican right and there were a couple of other people. I was just walking my dog and there were a couple of other dog walkers there and it was just the bay yesterday was just still as a milk on It was beautiful, okay, like sheet of glass. You could just walk out too. About four o'clock yesterday and there were other bystanders just staring at this one loan pelican. It was with no other pelican. A seagull came down and sort of was opposite him, like checking him out, like who you with? What tribe? I don't know what they were saying, but they look like having a conversation of some description for a minute to two and then the pelican just took flight. Amaze, amazing thing to see the huge too, yeah, massive with that big distinctive bill. Yes, it's not a pleasing word to say, it's distinctive bill. Anyway. What was it doing alone? How do they get here? Ken confirm then native to Australia? Are they really just googled?
Speaker 6: Yeah, mister, thank you brillion pelicans?
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right? And where do they normally hang out at the beach? I have never seen one at Newcastle And there's always always pelicans like.
Speaker 10: Or actually heaps of them. There's never like really just a lone one.
Speaker 1: But that's what I felt sorry for. Why is he alone? Yeah, maybe that's why that text message dream bubble burst. She also saw that lone Pelican. Where was he flying to find his friends? What has he been thrown aside by the family, you know, lion king? What's he done get cast aside from the Pelican tribe?
Speaker 4: I need to know you are Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian, thank you very much to Chan. You just sent me a link to Wikipedia. It is apparently good luck to see a lone white Pelican. It reminds us of loyalty and friendship and goodness knows and breakfast radio. You're finding neither of those Patsy, get those knives out of my back again, Christian. My mum loved Pelicans. Used to call every one of the mister Percival reference to the nineteen seventies movie you've seen storm Boy, classic beautiful movie. It is a classic patch. Yeah. They're very symbolic to me. In my family, we lost mum in twenty ten, so whenever we come across a pell a Pelican, we always feel Mama's presence. My wife is like that with rainbows. Her mum love rainbows. I know what that's like. Callan Christian? Did you know this? Pelicans to regulate? I didn't know you knew so much about pelicans. I just saw when yesterday first time my life, and now there's a lot of Pelican chat coming at me, and I'm here for it, Tracy Christian. Pelicans to regulate their body temperature, pull their spines through their mouths, oh, enjoy your breakfast, Australia Earth, Did I do that?
Speaker 6: It is going to be a better way to regulate your temperature?
Speaker 1: On Yeah, And then another another person saying, do you know how they breed?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Listen to this. Breeding begins with courtship. Like us, The female leads potentials potential mates two to eight or more around the colony. She's taking them for a little walk. As the males follow her. In these walks, they will threaten each other while swinging their open bills easy from side to side, literally big billing it, big bill energy, trying to attrack the female's attention. The males will also pick up small lodgers, sticks or dry fish, which they toss in the air to catch again, as if to say, hey, check this out, well, can that the pelican do this, I don't think so. Both sexes perform and they clap their bills shut several times a second, and the pounchers ripple like a flag and a strong breeze. As the courtship parade progresses, the males drop out one by one. How do they know to drop it out? I know it's like a reality show. Yes, you know what it is is Pelican Love Island. I'd watch this Pelican Love Island. After one is singled out, courtship period begins in a different way. The bill and the pouch of the male and female birds changed color dramatically. Forward half the pouch becomes bright salmon pink, while the skin of the pouch in the throat region turns chrome yellow. Do we know this happens unaware al of our sites. It's incredible. Parts on the top of the base of the bill changed the combot blue. Then a black diagonal stripper appears from the base to the tip. Easy. The color changes of short duration, the intention subsiding by the time intubation starts. That is today's Pelican chat.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on now too. There are two types of people in this world. Christian there are two types of people in this world, those that close their tabs and those that leave them open. Well, I'm sorry, I'm gonna leave them open. Guy on my iPhone four hundred and ninety eight open tabs. Oh my, I can go back to anything at any time. Now, there's a pair of Nike I was looking out five years ago. I can open that tab back up.
Speaker 5: Actually, my mate, same discussion like last year, he still had a tab up and it searched.
Speaker 6: What is COVID?
Speaker 1: Shut it downtro tabby Patsy. There are two types of people in this world.
Speaker 10: There are Christian those who put a T shirt on arms first, and those who put it on neck or head first.
Speaker 1: I go arms, How do you do that?
Speaker 10: I just put left arm and then I put right arm, and then I pick it up over the top of my head, whereas my husband will like gather up to the neck and put me too over.
Speaker 1: I thought we all did that. You're going through the neck, so torso.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, head first and then arms, but on the opposite maybe because I'm left handed, I don't know. I go left, right arm, and then I do the neck of the T shirt.
Speaker 1: That seems harder the way you're doing it.
Speaker 10: But that's the way I've always do.
Speaker 6: Do you not get stuck? I feel like you would get stuck so easily like that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, let's do that as a phone after seven. You ever got stuck in a piece of clothing. I once got stuck in a zip up sort of waterproof thing, you know, one you know, only your mates trying to pull you out of, and then it gets it gets stuck around your latch and it's like Jerry Lee Lewis kind of sketch going up, ma'am Martin and actually wedged anything.
Speaker 6: When I have to living my life like this, especially if it's wet.
Speaker 1: Where was wet? Was song? It was the perfect storm in there? I did.
Speaker 6: You have to cut me out, try to get them.
Speaker 1: You can't do it alone. You've got to sort of like limber up your body, you know, like someone insert the sleigh, start to get ready to touch your shoulder, dislocate the giant all right, after seven this morning, then let's do trapped in clothing. But two types of people in this world. There are two types of people in the world. Okay, there are those I think there are those kind of people that understand that steaks should only be cooked on the barbecue, and never in a pan on the stove top, never.
Speaker 6: In the store.
Speaker 1: Now, talk me through your isn't it It's better on the barbecue.
Speaker 6: I like the smokings, but sometimes you get them.
Speaker 1: You think about you go, you go to it and looking at a proper kitchen, how they're doing the steaks. They're not doing it on a kind of stovetop like that. They do it differently. They see it on the stovetop. Then they put the pan in the oven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that's not on a barbecue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they can't go outside. If you saw your chef, you know, you're at rock Pool or somewhere, where's her bloody going. He's going out there, you know, and suddenly there's like ten wembers and he's like chucking it around, having a dart out there, and it's like it's done, and stuff like that. You're not paying your fifty bucks, are you? You want the idea that they're doing something else, finessing it. But I think they taste so much better.
Speaker 10: On Oh yeah, the flavor is much yes, like a charcoal.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and that's stripping you get, oh god, the castinogens. Yeah, yeah, yes, yum yum, yum yum yum, yummy yum.
Speaker 4: Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: We have no downtime on the show. The moment News and sport kicked in RHEO and I went and got our fluid the first time I ever got flu. Job. I pretend myself this season. Always going to flu every year, and so I want to do it differently this year. You can protect yourself from others this flu season. Book your flu shot at chemist Warehouse. Very easy to do it. My wife went yesterday. You can book in store or online today. Christian and team car Daniel here. I'm a regular scuba diver. We have a saying there are two types of divers, those that pee in their wet suits and those that lie. Ah, you scuba guys, you have a laugh down there.
Speaker 6: You don't have to be crazy to scuba.
Speaker 1: Bu bud it bloody else.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 1: I love it at Scooby Bands, That's what I call it. Christian. Happy to be your roving reporter, So John. The last hour we've been negotiating with Debbie who's retiring tomorrow and her and her husband's Debbie's been a nurse. I've worked all this sound the last hour we have. She's been a nurse of forty odd years. She retires tomorrow and her husband has been in the army for forty years as well as an infantryman. So they're going on a lap, a slow lap, they call it. So I just enjoy a nice meander, no rush, yes, huge, huge lab to do it slowly as well, Christian, I'm happy. So I want to track their progress over the next year or so, photos, videos, and chat to them. They've got a starlink so we will be able to actually call them as they make their way around this incredible country. Happy to be your roving reporter. We will touch base in maybe June, I said, I felt like Deb's dad. I was that June. I can't not till June.
Speaker 6: Even though you're saying, author, may where are you right now?
Speaker 1: Whish where you go in clockwise anti clockwise?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: Great question.
Speaker 1: What do people do? There must be a preference and are they chasing the sun?
Speaker 5: I remember hearing there's some crazy fact. I think it's shorter. It's significantly shorter one way than it is the other way. I know that's a great question, but that is true.
Speaker 1: I've heard that really yes, can anyone verify that? Please call us? Thirteen fifty five twenty two. Is it shorter to do a lap of Australia going left or clockwise or anti clockwise and more portly? Why? Christian? This is on Debian Nomad reporter. We have never followed the rules about much in life, so it won't be north for the winter or south in the summer like hundreds of other nomads and vans. Questions for other gray nomads or younger people that also travel around Australia in all seriances, This is a great question. How do you not get fat? Every little town has a bakery declaim they have Australia's best pie and orphan and a slice, and you feel obliged to like, maybe this is actually Australia's best one. How we not gonna part on the case. Yes, we also follow multiple potato scallop cake appreciation pages on Facebook around Australia. So again we're gonna get bigger and bigger. It's like Georrs, We're gonna need a bigger caravan, certainly in his and hers caravans the bloaters.
Speaker 5: As you go around Australia as well, Potato sculpts are called different things in every state.
Speaker 6: Your kidding cakes potato, those gallops, there's another one, Adelaide, have some weird one. I've got the answers well to the going around Australia Peace?
Speaker 1: Peace?
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 5: Going anti clockwise is technically shorter by twenty to ninety meters because you're on the inside left lane rather than psych athletics.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you're going because you're driving.
Speaker 1: Racing about the inside line, even around the Great Southern Land exactly.
Speaker 4: That is a great snat Christian Colors Show podcast.
Speaker 1: I mean, the team all just had our flu jabs. Thanks for Chemist's warehouse. Patsy, how are you with the needles?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: You just probably did it yourself. Do you ex give me five Actually, I'll get the next five years done now.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 10: I steps myself back up trapping a baby and ivy extra fullhand and everything. Needles are just like you know, getting on a bike.
Speaker 1: That was the old cheap sharer. I hate them. I hate needle. Do you like not being a farm land? Now you've been through far worse. I have half out on those farms.
Speaker 9: Just something like a bit of steel going your arms.
Speaker 1: Steals it at one point seven mill.
Speaker 9: Titanium.
Speaker 1: Take that lancing thing out of me using.
Speaker 9: Which was like, just think of a nice place, and I thought of Barley while she did it.
Speaker 1: That you judge producer Caleb being a moga. Where were you? I was just getting a nice tattoo. It's getting a bin tattoo. Oh seven in a sports bar. It's a oh my happy place, oh with other loud Australians.
Speaker 6: You're very brave.
Speaker 1: Yeah you are. Yeah, you get a little bag of Alan snakes morning you calebre moning Christian. My name is Caleb, and then listen to you guys for five years. Now. My partner and I are seven weeks seven months pregnant. And when you say your partner and you, let's be honest, she's pregnant. There is no WHI she's doing a bit of a heavy line. Not unless we need to contact all news aging. She's around the world in some new miracle way. But your partner is pregnant. You are we are, as guys a bystander. You are not pregnant. She is pregnant. And I wanted to message you and thank you for the show you do every day. Ok, thank you very much. And also to ask your advice about being a good dad. I think you've been listening for five years, you'll have picked it up on not so much the good dad, the stories. I don't have any about being a good dad. It's the shabby dad. And then you can whatever the opposite is of what I did. There's your advice.
Speaker 6: You've got cautionary tale, cautionary tales.
Speaker 1: I am but a causery tale. I can summon up in three and Patsy can do hers as well. As a great month for me and I used to read a lot of the books as well. I think the most important things I can sum up in three very easy points. One that the thing that normally talks about about being a parent is your whole job is to enjoy being a parent. A lot of it. They turn it into an ordeal and you've got to worry about this. I'm so stressful. If you can keep reminding yourself, even at the tough times when you're exhaust and overwhelmed by all, your job is to enjoy it. It is the greatest privilege in life is to be someone's parents. So the job is to enjoy them always always always always always always always keep them talking the moment those channels of communication start to get shut down, don't hang on to being who's right and who's wrong. That is a life of misery. The most important thing is to keep them always talking, especially during the teenages as well. Tough, tougher than ever to be a teenager right now in these crazy times. Keep them talking. And the other thing is never Caleb, never ever stop working on your own bs. They see it all. You're always teaching your kids a lesson, and they're not always good lessons. How you are with your anger, your joy, your dreams of frustration. They are watching all of it. So always be working on your own inner stuff. Otherwise you pass it on to them. Work on your own stuff, or you're just going to pass it on to them. The best use of stuff you can do is to keep working on your own inner stuff, because I'm telling you now, they are mirror. They see all of it. My daughters now tracked me quicker than my own wife. They know when I'm lying, quicker than I do. I remember when the ratings went down to third last year and I was trying to tell them. They were, oh my god, are you going to get sacked? Are we going to be homeless? Are you going to a bit of pain against university? Like a press conference? I was getting really stressed. I was going, it doesn't matter, and they were going, we don't believe you. There's no way you don't think it does matter. It doesn't matter. And then my way of fact, Chris, can we have a word. You're trying to tell them that you're okay with this? Yeah, I was okay to go back out, Patsy, Well, but how would you summon up?
Speaker 10: I've just got to say, you just talking like that is so inspiration for me as a mum, with you know, keeping the communication lines open.
Speaker 1: That so true that my mums have to work so much harder. No, I can be I'm not trying to be fake monest My wife works far harder as a parent than I do. And I think even Chris, your husband would agree with that as well. Mums, No, no, no, mums are the sense of the whole thing.
Speaker 10: I think initially definitely, But what I would say to our listener is.
Speaker 1: Particularly within you, p please call them Caleb brother, thank you.
Speaker 10: Sorry I forgot Caleb's name. Congratulations.
Speaker 1: You don't know who I am right now? She's a mom, not to think about instinct.
Speaker 10: Follow your instinct. You have this newborn. There's no guide book. You don't know what the hell you're doing. Your boobs are leaking. Everything's happening. You're not sleeping.
Speaker 1: Caleb's boobs are leaking. Go see a doctor, Go to chemists warehouse. They've got patches.
Speaker 10: Follow your instinct and you do know what to do. I can remember with Audrey, she was crying. I had she was a colligy baby, she was six weeks prem It was all happening. It was five years in the making, you know, infertility, and I finally had this baby, and I felt like I'd had this massive, big run up to being a mum. And suddenly I remember one day I really didn't feel like I knew what I was doing, and my mother came up to help, just to release so I could go and have a shower, and she said, just keep calm.
Speaker 1: You do know what you're doing.
Speaker 10: Follow your instinct. But Mom, I don't have an instinct, and she said, you do. It's inside of you. And you know, don't listen to what anyone.
Speaker 1: Else for your mum, hand generation to.
Speaker 10: You, angel, angel, and don't listen to what what might work for someone else, doesn't necessarily work for you. And the other thing, the third and last thing I would say. A maternal nurse said to me, I'd picked Audrey up, and she said, I'll be careful with that. Don't nurse her too much. So you know, it's all don't do this, don't do this, you should be doing that. I wish I hadn't have listened to that, because now, even though she's nearly fifteen, I would give my left leg to be able to just pick her up in my arms and give her a cuddle and sniff right into a little head. And you know, you're just so conscious of everyone says don't pick them up, then you'll have to nurse them all the time.
Speaker 6: To hell with that.
Speaker 10: Do whatever you want, do what's right for you, and you'll be a perfect parent.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it. It goes so fast, beautiful stuff.
Speaker 4: The Christian o'condle show podcast.
Speaker 1: Right now we turn our attentions to the fourth coming. Flick around. You can hear anyone else hosting a breakfast show who's happy to drop in the word forthcoming. I don't think bo Ryan's doing that. I don't think he has to do that. Guy we are searching for Australia's funniest mom.
Speaker 8: Mom's gonna tell the Joe Mama, don't make you laugh, selling Mary on the poll.
Speaker 9: They're gonna make you laugh.
Speaker 1: We are searching for Australia's funniest mom and we have the ultimate Mother's Day Langham Melbourne package. Great price for the winning mom. Two nights day are they also Langham here in Melbourne for you and a friend. Now, we're saying you and a friend because actually a weekend two nights away, pampering a spy you get, you're really gonna get looked after. And if you're in Sydney, whether you're in Adelaide, whether you're in Birth, whether you're in Brizzy listening to the show, don't worry.
Speaker 4: We'll fly you here.
Speaker 1: We will look after. You're gonna have an amazing weekend. We're saying a friend because that's be honest. You might not want to bring your partner. You might just want to break from all of it. It's a lot being a mum. This weekend is for you. That's the price you sort out. Two nights at the Lang in Melbourne, Lunch at the Amazing Melbourne restaurant Chuan spa treatment for you and your friend, access to the Langon Club, including afternoon tea, Oh my word, fancy evening cannapees and cocktails. Great Bryance. Mom's two jokes. It's as similar as that. Call us now, mums thirteen fifty five twenty two team, Are we ready to be entertained? I'm ready? Oh wow? Stepping up? The first mom this morning is Rachel. Good morning, Rachel, Good morning, Christian. How are you? I'm good? So, Rachel, you're a mum, I'm a mom. Brilliant and tell us about your family. Mom to how many kids? How old are they?
Speaker 7: One daughter? She's twenty seven?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Okay, you don't sound you don't you sound pretty young? I thought you we'd have young kids.
Speaker 7: Oh I had her when I was twelve.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, I'm joking.
Speaker 1: Well I'm glad you said you're joking, because you know, I've read stories about what goes on the outback around Australia, you know, and out west. Oh so, Rachel, you're the first courage to do this. All right, Mum, Rachel, off you go. What's your joke for us?
Speaker 7: So I got a job as a bank teller right, and I got fired on the first day because a little old lady come up to the counter and she said, can you check my balance? Darlen's over the counter, go.
Speaker 3: For a nudge and she fell over.
Speaker 4: Boo. I love it.
Speaker 6: I's gonna tell the job.
Speaker 1: Well down, Rachel, Wow, down, Rachel.
Speaker 4: We're off.
Speaker 1: It's a good guy. That's it.
Speaker 6: It took me a while, really yeah, straight away.
Speaker 9: Good.
Speaker 1: That was genius. It's very good. Rachel's strong start. Thank you very much, thank you, bye bye.
Speaker 4: You're Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: As you look ahead to Mother's Day a week Sunday, on the show. For the next week and a half, it's all about celebrating mums. We know about dad jokes, what about mum jokes. Mom's doing jokes on the show to try and win an amazing Mother's Day. It's a real treat. It's all about you. For the whole weekend. We will bring you to the Langham in Melbourne, a beautiful, incredible five star hotel. You get pampered, you get two nights there. It's you and whoever you want to bring. Mom's doing jokes.
Speaker 8: Mom's gonna tell the joke Mama, don't make you laugh, Sally Mary on this call, they gonna make you.
Speaker 1: Laugh, bick down. Hey, perhaps this is an an alex your d This is gonna drive you mad. Projesse Canaan just comes in. She goes, now, I'm gonna put one on. Who's a mother to dogs? I went, no, you're not. That's a dog. It's not like a human. It's not a kid. It's not the same. O way, No, it's not the same.
Speaker 6: Well, Kaylyn calls her dog Henry her son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we don't know what to encourage people like that. Two types of people in this world. Those understand dog is dog. I'm a dog owner. It is not my son. He is a dog. He's a fairy thick dog.
Speaker 6: You really don't like your dog?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I accept him to I tolerate him. Perhaps so I tolerate yes, alright, mom's telling jokes. Moms she killed us up thirteen fifty five, twenty two. We've also dealt with another one. The chuckle sister's coming in, going someone wants to win it for her mum. Her mom doesn't speak very good English, but she's going to try and translate for her. That's a lot going on there actually a lot going on there as well. Yeah, so mom's come on, you tell us a joke. We love it. And then Mama just made us laugh. That's it, all right.
Speaker 6: The stage is yours. Mom's who you got here?
Speaker 1: Helena? Good morning, Helena, good morning?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good Helena. So you're a mum and wander how old are you kids? Helene? And welcome to showing. Also, Helena, your mum number two calling us up, So thank you very much for doing that and taking part.
Speaker 7: Oh, no problem, happy to call.
Speaker 1: Now, how are your kids, Helena?
Speaker 3: Oh, they're older.
Speaker 7: They wouldn't like me to say so, they're older.
Speaker 1: How old are they?
Speaker 7: In their forties?
Speaker 1: This is brilliant. Why would they want you to say that?
Speaker 7: Oh you know, mom's skip, mum getting embarrassed all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, even their forties kids are still embarrassed by their parents.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not an embarrassing mom. You're a cool mom, you rock, You're a stand up mom. Now, okay, so in your own time, in your own time. It's currently working progress this show. Let's hear your joke.
Speaker 7: What do you call woollies when it burns down?
Speaker 1: I don't know calls. That's a great guy.
Speaker 6: You just made us laugh.
Speaker 1: I'd be worried there. I was like, hey, that's a great one, Helena. We love you, Joe, thank you very much. You might be coming to the Big Final next Friday. But thanks Acorning. We send your price. Thank you, thank you. Susie. We've got mum Susie in morning, sus good morning.
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Susie. And how are you going this morning? You're good?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm great.
Speaker 1: So you've got three kids, you're a busy, busy mum. Three kids. That's a lot going on.
Speaker 7: Three kids. I work as a teacher, so.
Speaker 1: That's it's it's everywhere. Kids are own, kids in the classroom crazy.
Speaker 4: I just love kids.
Speaker 1: Oh bless you. And what age of kids do you teach as well, Susie?
Speaker 7: I teach great four.
Speaker 1: Grade four as well. That they'd be lively, won't they?
Speaker 3: They are loving?
Speaker 7: But they're lots of fun and they tell me lots of good jokes.
Speaker 1: Oh brilliant. Okay, you've got some good jokes. Then all right, what's your best one? Off you go?
Speaker 7: Oh the best one? Why was the maths book so depressed?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Why was the maths book so depressed.
Speaker 3: Because it had too many problems?
Speaker 1: That is what you call classic teacher joke, isn't it. You get standing ovation in the older the teacher room? Do you remember the teacher's room?
Speaker 8: Just made us la?
Speaker 1: Why no, Mamma, Susie, you will send your prize. Thank you very much much. Shake care mate, here we got here, Amanda, Amanda, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thank you. I'm first time call a long time listener.
Speaker 1: Hey, well done. First of all right, I get it's a lot to call up a radio show. It's it's way above that to call up and tell a joke. So well done. Thank you very much for taking a big leap off you go. We'd love to hear you joke.
Speaker 7: Why did the scarecrow win an award?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Why did the scarecrow win an award for being outstanding?
Speaker 11: And need speak?
Speaker 1: It's a classic straight into the old jokes home.
Speaker 6: Mama just made us laugh.
Speaker 1: Stand out, Mama, Manda, very good. We send your price. Thank you very much. All right. That is the end of the first auditions today. Back tomorrow for mums. Make us laugh. We're looking for Australia's Funniest mom. If you've got a joke, nudge your mum. If you get ready for school, run your mum's rushing around tomorrow. We're gonna be doing at eight o'clock. Give us a call.
Speaker 8: Mom's gonna tell the joke, Mama. Don't make you laugh, selly Mary on the Paul, They're.
Speaker 4: Gonna make you laugh.
Speaker 1: Now. If you're listening to this as well, mum cently, I really don't think I could call it in the morning. I haven't got the courage for that. Doesn't money. You can still get involved. We want to hear your voices. We want to say hello to you, We want to laugh with you as well and thank you. But if you still want to get involved, you can. You can record it on your phone and email it to me if that's easier for you. Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com Today you.
Speaker 4: Good Christian Connall Show podcast every Wednesday.
Speaker 1: In the show, we love getting your stories about coincidence and chance. We got so many amazing stories. We call this what are the odds? Let's do it?
Speaker 6: Believe it. I'm not what are the odds? You gotta be justhing me.
Speaker 8: Like were you with Cheryl who married a Hun who work with the Cheryl.
Speaker 6: Who married a Hunt as well?
Speaker 1: Last week on what are the Odds?
Speaker 3: My parents sent me a birthday card one year and they've been separated since I was four years old, and it was the same card.
Speaker 2: My wife I'm at twenty seven years ago, live in different towns. We decided we better get the fathers to sort of meet. So they went on a golf day for return servicemen and they had to put their army numbers in and they are following numbers they enlisted at the same time. And yeah, the service numbers were following numbers. I'm actually a twin. My expartner was a twin and I have twin daughters in both pointixelnovers. We're both twins.
Speaker 1: Twin power activated, twin power adivated. I love it. Let's kick off with this story here email here from Listen called Sarah Christian IVVITA family history research came across a ship called the Petrel which arrived in Port Jackson nineteenth of November eighteen forty eight. On board that ship, it must have been Patsy on board that ship, and you would have been like Lear nineteen just stops off my head. The mass on board that ship were my husband's great great great grandparents, Isaac and Sarah Evans. Also on that board, we found out on board that ship were my great great great grandparents, Alfred and Harriet Mel. This means our two kids, our kids have two sets of great great great grandparents that migrated together on the same boat. What are the odds? Also, there were fifty six married couples on board that ship for three months, one hundred and seventy seven years ago. I wonder if our great great great grandparents were friends with them. Beautiful one, Sarah, thank you very much. Now I've got my own one. Actually, Oh, I can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: About an hour and a half ago, we're all getting our flu jabs done. A lovely nurse came in from chemist warehouse. Now, the young lady that was doing her injections was very helpful, But she had this tunicon, you know, like a nurse would wear. I said, that is exactly the same one though, that a chef might wear as well. She said, I am a part time chef. Ah, this is the second day. I said, I'm not sure this is show worthy, right, it's a bit of a kind of mild one sort of thing Pats might bring in or Caitlin. And you were, no, no, no, it's a really good one. I said, I don't trust you. Yesterday you tried to stitch me up.
Speaker 5: Okay, I just had to go with the crowd. I didn't hear much of the rats are in the show. I didn't give much fatty. I didn't want to be the only one being like sucking up being. Oh that's a good that's a good story.
Speaker 1: Wow, wait Tina. Also, Tina, you said, do that chemist warehouse the nurse chef one.
Speaker 4: It's good, it's really good.
Speaker 1: She knows two a tone dead? What now I know? Now I know it sucks.
Speaker 6: So a chef gave me my needle?
Speaker 1: What yes, chefs us. All right, let's get some stories.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We got Eve on the line recording in Sydney. Good morning, Eve, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Good morning. How are we guys?
Speaker 1: I'm good? Thanks to cooing the show. So what is your story for? What are the odds?
Speaker 7: What are the odds? Well, when I was nineteen, we had a younger brother who was ten years younger than us, and I lived in Armadale on my Annie and nuncles property at the time and on the twin and my twin brother was in Sydney. I hadn't seen him four or probably six or seven months because of living up on the farm. We were all getting together for Christmas. I went to a story in Amada, which is completely different to all those Sydney stores. Anyway, I ended up buying my brother, my younger brother, a remote control car, wrapped it up in blue paper. It had blue numbers on it and it had seventy nine on it. My twin bought the exact same car, same color, same model, with the number on it. We came back to Sydney for Christmas and my younger brother opened my brother's present and I couldn't believe it because I had mine in my hand still, and I handed mine to my younger brother and it was identical. We hadn't spoken, we hadn't decided what we're going to buy, and it wasn't an impulse by I decided I was going to buy it, and yeah, it was just he couldn't believe his luck when he had double cows.
Speaker 1: And he was It is incredible. It's a twin interstate.
Speaker 6: What are the odds twin power activated EPA my.
Speaker 1: Friend for life. Incredible Eve, great story. We send you price, thanks for sharing, Thanks.
Speaker 7: For your tom I have a good day guys. A lovely show.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Eve.
Speaker 1: The calls coming you and I need to have a word my friend.
Speaker 4: A Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Right now, last chance, your course, your stories, coincidence and chances to do this every Wednesday on the Christian O'Connell Show here on Gold we call it what are the odds? If you've got one for us Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot au. Linda, good morning, good morning, Good morning, Linda. Thanks for giving us ago and are you a new listener, Linda, No.
Speaker 11: No, I've been listening for a very very long time.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Linda. Now I see on the phone here it says you're about to teach a class.
Speaker 11: I am, I'm teaching shut myself in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: What are you about to teach?
Speaker 11: I seen you as strengthening balanced classes?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, great, I bet that's really enjoyable, isn't it.
Speaker 11: It is absolutely fantastic club.
Speaker 1: So when you said you shut yourself in the kitchen, are they in your house?
Speaker 6: Are you in a community a community hall.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I thought you shut the old people in your living room. They're like, who's on the phone. Tell this is the radio show? All right now, Linda, what is your story for us?
Speaker 11: Okay, we were on a cruise and we were stopping in Israel and we went on a tour that went to the Dead Sea. When we got there, the group before us had left. But I found a cruise card on the ground.
Speaker 7: You can't get back on the.
Speaker 11: Cruise without this cruise card. So we thought I will pick it up and we'll take it back and hand it in when we get back. On the way back, our bus blew a tire and so we had to sort of wait and bus came along to pick us up. None that there was only four people and one of them was yelling at her husband for losing her cruise car. So out of four thousand, nine hundred people on the ship, we ended up on a bus that picked us up with only four people on it than one of those was that cruise car.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, the odds are incredible for that. That's an amazing story. That yeah too, Linda, Thank you very much to give us a call. Enjoy the class today. Thank you. I Tams gerving us a call. Good morning to Tim. What's your story for? What are the odds?
Speaker 3: Good morning, sir guys. I've got a spider in the car. Story. I pulled up at the traffic lights one day, window opens, pressing, so spider crawls out onto the roofs of the car. No problem there, beautifully dressed man in his suit gets out, whips off with Julius Marlow reaches over the roof, tries to kill the spider. Spider keep moving, He's not having any trouble. Spider light change green anyway. Spider crawls back down over to the Beck windscreen at the top. He takes one final messy swipe smashes the wing screen. The spider forms Beck into.
Speaker 1: Car, chuckling to itself. It's doing it high fiving itself with all those legs. Tim, that is a great story. I'm gonna give you two hundred and fifty dollars Suspend at Chemists Warehouse. We love that story, mate, Tim, really funny story. Thank you very much. He told it really well. Have a great day, mate, Thanks Christian, So you Christian O'Connell show podcast time for today's time Waster today. We're looking for your school bands for the Western Show today, and she send us shoes to be marked on four seventy five O three one oh four three, Your time wasters, We're looking for your school bands Western Show today. Off to the cinema Gold Class double pass. Some outstanding movies to go and see in the cinema project Hell Mary, I really really loved. I cannot recommend enough. Patsy went to see Last Weekend Michael, which he absolutely Lord, there are two great choices there. All right, let's go back to school test tube dummies. How was the last time we helped test tubes? That it's a long time ago. Assembly Holder notes, Dinner Lady Gaga, Dinner Gold, School Run DMC Silk Class Jim and the dread of the school run. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Well, like the cross country in the school run, like the drug no.
Speaker 1: No, no, your school country would have probably been in a lot nicer weather than ours. It was always done at the end of the football season, so it'll be at wintertime, so frozen ground, fog, missed rain, mud through farmers fields.
Speaker 6: Worst day of the year.
Speaker 1: Oh horrendus. I remember once where because I didn't want to do it, I just said, I've I've forgotten my sneak because should you go home? It's got a lost property. Found a pair of rugby boots with metallic studs and said there's only these and these don't fit. He went, well, you either doing that or bare feet actual wear rugby boots with metallic studs, running for five k like a dog on ice. Sure that you get like special Forces selection. All the way. It was an Middleton yelling at me and spelling me fifty two's gold? All right, Rio, what have you got? School band's?
Speaker 6: Oh no, Shaggy's late for class, Yeah he's Waggy.
Speaker 1: Can I see done gold?
Speaker 5: All these punk rockers got a ninety six point eight the a Tarisari's well done?
Speaker 1: Another gold?
Speaker 6: M see grammar?
Speaker 1: Oh that's good?
Speaker 6: Oh no, the school fate's being canceled.
Speaker 1: Fate you say.
Speaker 6: It's no fate, fate no more?
Speaker 1: What I was like, No, wow, can you judge me about that? What the else? Karma? You know what I said to you, my friend? Karma?
Speaker 8: Is it is?
Speaker 4: It is The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Time wasted today. We're looking for your school bands. Here we go one O four seventy five three, one oh four three three are you.
Speaker 6: Ready to mark president mister O'Connell.
Speaker 1: Very good, okay, gold class top a past of the best in show. Kerry kicks us off with a potential gold. I think Jason Darula, god no Derulo dar Rula, Jason Drula. That's how we start, Kerry Charles, that's very good. To pack your play lunch, To pack your play lunch principle, princepo silver. Then Anthony's strange nuts. That's his name, lunch box twenty silver, nickel back back nickel backpack gold, tuck shop boys silver plus alphabet, Middler gold. I don't know who's that John the hex pistols. Danny, that's very good. Pit bully, not pitbullady around with a menace in the hallways, Pit bully, mister world wide. Nathan's got a note from your mom for and sons. Sons sung with a ban joe and a natty waistcoat, Johnny part of missa being late Silver men at homework Gold. Now you fumble the bag with your fate one. What about fate Hill. Oh that's very good gold back, Well done, KINDI lauper and Danny, that's right you CARDI be quiet at the back.
Speaker 6: Silvah.
Speaker 1: I tried Tyon and Justin Baker. Justin Baker that is very good. Who just pipped him with that one? Melissa very very good? All right, there's some great goals there. Ring Over, How are you gonna pick one? Who's the winner?
Speaker 6: They were brilliant but lead from start to finish.
Speaker 1: Jason Darula, Yeah right winner today, Well done, you are the winner. We are back tomorrow morning on the show Don't Forget It's gonna be Day two, Day two and the auditions to find Australia's funniest mums. Mums telling us jokes. If you want to get in there, email me, book your spot Mums, Nudge your mum to give us a call tomorrow. An amazing Mums weekend up for grams as well the Langham in Melbourne. Wherever you listen to the show, we will fly you with you interstate to have an amazing two nights at the five star Langham, Melbourne and you get it with whoever you want to spend your special weekend with. Email me today your jokes. Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com.
Speaker 4: Today You Christian O'Connell show Go On Podcast head to chemist warehouse and save more money every year on your regular medication with discount of prescriptions in every store, every day