Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms. Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh sweety piece, it's Friday, and thank goodness for that. Today we talk about the best excuse not to go to work and the reason why you ruminate. I think it should provide you with some comfort. But also we don't tend to oversimplify everything for no reason. It's just because some things can afford to be simplified for the sake of the girl's brains.
Speaker 3: And yeah, anyway, happy weekend. Here's the potty Flex and Frooms. What time is it, guys, I'm not sure, but hopefully it is no longer work time. But if it is, I want to give you a list of excuses to get out of work. For some people this is easier than others. If you're working in a nine to five office type of job where to be honest like you could you could do your work at home, then maybe this is more appropriate. However, I have a friend, for example, who works as a teacher.
Speaker 1: I'll just be throwing round a city. You really can't. I wonder what the protocol is for being a teacher and needing a sick day?
Speaker 3: What about being a surgeon, whoa or a doctor and you've already banked up a million.
Speaker 1: People have been waiting for this surgery, waiting to see You're kind of like, Oh, I actually can't.
Speaker 3: You just would have to be taking a lot of armor force. Yeah, is that weird too?
Speaker 4: Like, who'd even thought of that? Well?
Speaker 1: I think a lot of jobs are built that way, where they don't have a contingency for if the one person can't do it. But if we can't, we couldn't do it. We worked for a whole week with no voice. Facts, who else is going to do flex and froo if we don't have an understudy?
Speaker 3: It's hitting a little too close to home. Yeah, so is this article by Refinary twenty nine?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 3: This is article by Cosmo which is actually published March third, which my birthday. We're going back in the after I remember this one. Here are some excuses that this writer has found my brother's appendix ruptured, which I think is a fine one. I thought my appendix ruptured this morning.
Speaker 1: But your brother, who cares?
Speaker 3: Maybe you had to take them to the hospital. Oh okay, my WiFi went out. That's a brilliant one. That's that's underutilized I'd say.
Speaker 1: I don't know you have data. Everybody has data.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe then you say your phone, you're on the sixty nine dollars Plana.
Speaker 1: You have data. I feel like people wouldn't be forgiving for that one.
Speaker 3: My dog's not feeling well. I think it's some circles that do well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the circles were that would do well. You probably already have mental health days. You can take facts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So for some reason, my hands are cramping, given I have Reinard's syndrome, which I've told you all about, when my fingers don't get circulation. This is something that I pulled out at Splendor one year. In the cold, I couldn't wear I had to wear gloves. But then I couldn't do the Instagram story with gloves on. Someone slashed my tires.
Speaker 1: That need to bend your fingers to post, Babes, No.
Speaker 3: I had to wear gloves. You can't do gloves on the screen.
Speaker 1: Oh got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Someone's like, have a friend who could help babes. Someone slashed my tires. Now, as we know, I have used this. Yeah. When I got back from Bali twenty twenty two and someone had gone in and lit afire in my car. What happened?
Speaker 1: I still went to work? You really did?
Speaker 3: I got an uber yeah offlone paycheck didn't get reenbursed.
Speaker 1: She didn't. I have to go to court.
Speaker 3: That's a classic one. Show people you're a bit bad. Oh I qualified for the state track championship and my apartment is flooding.
Speaker 1: I wonder outside of some of the bad habits we've all made around working. You know people who are like, oh, I won't take a sick day because I don't let my team downlahlahlahlah. If we all just decided we would work as as it states in our contract, like take your one hour lunch break, rock up at nine, leave at five. If we all did that, take your sick day that you're allotted. Like what I would do is I would ask HR how many sick days hours I have allotted and then just use them.
Speaker 3: If you don't use sick days to get money, if we need to start scheduling them in Truly, that's a life pack, because some of you girlies don't even know it's gotta be an HR pack when you first come to a job.
Speaker 1: Let's get that.
Speaker 3: Let's get that through legislation. Call up mister Albanisi, I got to hook up with total just do a few barks and get him to eat the current legislation or change.
Speaker 1: Sick days to mental health days, and then under the umbrella we can have cramps go under there, bad brain days. All of that kind of stuff were and realistically because this as someone who doesn't look sick when I am sick, I don't want to have to come through with the evidence of visually being sick to be seen as sick. I don't need to be listing through the symptoms of my mystery illness to be justified the sick day that I'm entitled to because I worked for it. M like I'm sick should be enough. Or get in you know at six and be like, hey, heads up, not feeling well. Won't be coming in today. I've sent through my tasks that need to be handed off to someone. Or good take you six days, please please. You're not a better person for not taking six days. I promise you. Also take it annual leave. People don't like you more because you don't take your leave. Thank you. It is flex and frooms on kita. If you are an overthinker, a ruminador, a back and forth in the brain. I need to consult my friends for every decision. Type of person. This TikTok might just be from you, This TikTok might just be for you. It's my creator called jess Atrige.
Speaker 3: A big reason why we ruminate is because it gives us a false sense of control over a situation that we did not feel control over.
Speaker 1: When we go.
Speaker 3: Back and dissect and try to give new meaning to past experiences, and it's coming from this place of lack, and it's coming from this place of desperation. It's an illusion of control.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that beautiful, eloquent, concise, clicked immediately? No need to die of deep any further. It is all there. I only figured out I was a control freaking therapy. Isn't that wild?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's crazy?
Speaker 1: Like, why wasn't that clear? I don't know what I thought I was doing or what I thought the action was. If not trying to control things, maybe I thought I was just being proactive or being involved, being practical, But no, it's definitely control freak coded.
Speaker 3: I feel like rumination doesn't get like self diagnosed enough, Like I never really I'm a big fat ruminator. As a unike use that right of course.
Speaker 1: Because we don't go down alone together in this building.
Speaker 3: But like I even today when I'm ruminating, I don't realize that it's part of that. I don't realize i'm doing it. I honestly think that I'm troubleshooting. You've seen a firsthand, I come to you with text.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a form of trouble shooting, but I guess troubleshooting. Troubleshooting is more systems, like a clear structure to get to the end goal, whereas ruminating is bouncing between often extreme opposing thoughts for what solution really to feel better, I guess.
Speaker 3: To feel better. And it's hard when there's no solution.
Speaker 1: It's so hard when there isn't a best way forward because you don't know what the outcome is going to be.
Speaker 3: Regardless, So what do you do? Do you reckon?
Speaker 1: You know me? Impulse? Just make a choice, any choice.
Speaker 3: But what if it isn't a choice to make.
Speaker 1: There's always a choice to make. In action is a choice.
Speaker 3: So the choice is to stop ruminating.
Speaker 1: Well, I think ruminating is a symptom of a bigger issue. Oh okay, I don't think it is the issue, Like it's how you are ruminating is how you respond to things happening around you, So what is happening around you?
Speaker 3: I guess sometimes o rumination is just like actually totally maladaptive to the point where you're like ruminating over something that isn't is like nonsensical. Yeah you know, that's like yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's we're oversimplifying it. It's this idea that we all technically have choices, but do we want to make them. It's choosing between a thing that will make me uncomfortable or I think they will make me sad. Go, nobody wants to do that. But I definitely feel like there is something to say about simplifying generally, you know, getting to a solution, not the best one, not the perfect one, but one that gets you further along the journey of understanding why you're ruminating, because I what I would want to avoid is feeling like any rumination is futile or doesn't have a purpose. Where you put your energy is what matters to you period.
Speaker 3: I will say, though some rumination is purely maladaptive in the case of obsessive compulsive swatter.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but then that's like a very specific situation.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm thinking about that.
Speaker 1: What I'm thinking about rumination?
Speaker 3: Okay, babe, okay, anyway, do you hear me? Tell me why the Karen era is yet again activated against.
Speaker 1: My against my will.
Speaker 3: It's been a couple of weeks, so it's been a couple of weeks. Tell me why I'm trying to go to sleep the upstairs neighbors bashing around using power tools? What the hell? Next minute? It's six am. Next day. I usually hear the birds chrap in a tree lined type of area, and I'm saying, I'm hearing construction at six am in New South Wales, and I'm at that stage where you're half asleep, half awake. The vibe is already ruined, like I'm not going to be going back to so sorry, and I need my sleep. I'm hearing this and I'm thinking, I know it's I know it's too early, but.
Speaker 1: What do I do and what can you do? Well?
Speaker 3: It turns out there's a law against this. According to New Southell's law, noise from power tools and equipment, including electrical and battery operated tools, that can be heard in any habitable rooms of his neighboring residents must seize during the hours of eight pm to eight am on Sundays and eight pm to seven am on weekdays and Saturdays. So I'm hearing a little power to six thirty am, even six fifty five am. It's completely illegal.
Speaker 1: So how do you escalate it?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 3: You go to the New South Wales government, But in.
Speaker 1: Real time, I'd be taking a little video.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't. Yeah, what can you really if it's happening I think if it's.
Speaker 3: Happening consistently, then you go straight to the sauce and.
Speaker 1: I say, hey, trades downstairs, Yeah, they just work there.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what you do.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: Let's you're shoes. Don't don't try and harass our tradees. Go look on the building. There should be a little like eat like there should be a number for the site manager. You go to the site manager. You don't go straight to the people doing the job.
Speaker 1: I feel like the construction noise is just one layer of irritation and then you add four more layers trying to fix it on your own.
Speaker 3: Got to go to Scottie cam.
Speaker 1: I stayed in a hotel in the city the other day and the there was construction outside and I was like, is this not illegal? So so vibe welcome. But then I guess because the city is is it commercially coded?
Speaker 3: Nah, they're still give it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know because this was construction literally from six pm to three am night.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I live next to a train line and the train line does construction at like five.
Speaker 1: Am, babe. But it was like, when else are they going to do it?
Speaker 5: But it's like the train line is the government?
Speaker 3: Yeah, inside job, job, this is the thing.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 3: Also neighbors keeping massive lights on. That's what we did at Splendor. We were staying next to each other and you, how do you outside lights on shining into my bedroom?
Speaker 1: I didn't have them on. We just checked in for the day and it was on. And I get a text from through me at eleven pm. Can you turn off your light? I'm thinking which light is it?
Speaker 3: And you did it in ease?
Speaker 1: Oh, immediately, immediately. I can take direction.
Speaker 3: Often we're coming to the table with a would you rather steeped in moral issues in concern and things that really have my brain freaking out guys, so I thought, let's yeah, how good is that flex' Just seeing a meme that put on my straight So I thought I come to the table with something a bit more based in the fantasy, because as much as we like to talk about serious issues, it's also important to bring some fun. Because what if, like I prefer the fake world if not a massive fantasy. Okay, so what fantasy thing would you like to be real? FLEXI? I'm gonna give you some options?
Speaker 1: Oh great, there's.
Speaker 3: One, two, three, four, five options. Everybody playing along at home, put your thinking cap on. H if you could choose one of these fantasy things to be real and justify it, which would you be? Which would you rather? Number one? Ghosts to see monsters aka locknest moment? Yeah, big dogs, demons, aliens and they mean like the actual ones that are cute, like the green ones, not like a microbe, bigfoot or wear wolves. Can I guess what you're say.
Speaker 1: Ghosts? No, I might say demons.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, this is very unlike you. In my mind, I just want.
Speaker 1: To see how different they are from us. Imagine if when, like you know, you introduce the demons into the world's escape and everyone's like, I couldn't even tell, And it's.
Speaker 3: That time of the month. I know you're thinking, is it the red moment?
Speaker 1: It's way better.
Speaker 3: This is our Mickey's music quiz. Drum roll please.
Speaker 1: Mickey, what is it?
Speaker 3: The give the tea?
Speaker 5: So each week we've been playing one second of familiar songs that you might know, and I give you guys a theme. This week's theme is it's the mid two thousands and you're crying in your childhood bedroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's on for you FLIXI.
Speaker 3: Ready play the tape. Oh yeah, Jojo get out?
Speaker 1: Okay with in style.
Speaker 3: M This one has really to the left by Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Incorrect incorrect flex irreplaceable by Beyonce. No, just stealing that one. I don't know what. Play a different section. Hold up m oh me Chasing Pavements by Adele so sad because she it's like just being stuck between a rock and her harbor.
Speaker 3: But did she ever make for a mind?
Speaker 1: That's a real question.
Speaker 3: She did.
Speaker 1: Look at where she's now, but she unblocked. She wouldn't have give us the receipts. Actually, she's she's down to earth. She would have unblocked him.
Speaker 5: Okay, next one, draw.
Speaker 1: My turn flex killing me softly artist Lauren Hill.
Speaker 5: Two points for me.
Speaker 3: No, Lauren Hill, was that in the mid two thousands. Yes, it's actually incorrect.
Speaker 5: Should we take it.
Speaker 1: To okay, okay, time, but I said remastered edit.
Speaker 5: You would sit in your room and not listen to any other song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was on Backstreet Boys Tip Incomplete. But anyway, play the table.
Speaker 1: Something that I last. That's a long one. Don't do it again, please, Okay, we're stressed enough. Just a fart noise text me Beyonce irreplaceable.
Speaker 2: Great, I've got one more for you, one more for you, and look at through me because I just want to let them over flexes, wipe the floor today.
Speaker 1: Where's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Black fact correct babes. When I first finding NEMO occurred? Oh shit, climate change is a thing the COMU two thousand and five. Pretty sure someone got killed in a war.
Speaker 1: Where is the love?
Speaker 3: Me on the balcony at my parents, as where is the love? The fire is burning, and the kids it's our It's on our generation. And I said, listen, can't go past a little order online. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: The children out here doing hales, So the children didn't die funk enough? Who want to sing it again? I've got steep on. This is for our childhood. So I just recall this being the intro at all.
Speaker 4: They came in a down tea ready, yes, yes, quod yes the world?
Speaker 1: Can you give me the word's addicted to the drum man.
Speaker 4: What you demonstrate, that's exactly how angle works and operates.
Speaker 1: You would know, You would know taking hold of your mind and meditate, let your soul gramat, don't care.
Speaker 4: Yes, can you practice you tadle structures? Send it from where?
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 1: Where is the love? Where is that? Where is where is that? Where is where is that?
Speaker 5: You've been listening to the Flexing Firms Daily podcast. For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio