Speaker 1: I Heart Podcasts. You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey, this is.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast more didn't you calebre moning? Christian? My name's Caleb. I mean listen to you guys for five years now. My partner and I are seven weeks seven months pregnant. And when you say your partner in you, let's be honest, she's pregnant. There is no wei. She's doing a bit of the heavy lin. Not unless we need to contact all news agencies around the world in some new miracle way. But your partner is pregnant. You are We are, as guys a bystander. You are not pregnant. She is pregnant. And I wanted to message you and thank you for the show you do every day. Okay, thank you very much, and also to ask your advice about being a good dad. I think you've been listening for five years you'll have picked it up on not so much which the good that the stories. I don't have any about having a good dad. It's the shabby dad. And then you can whatever the opposite is of what I did. There's your advice.
Speaker 3: You've got cautionary tales.
Speaker 1: Cautionary tales, I am but a causery tale. I can summon up in three and and Patsy can do hers as well. As a great month for me, and I used to read a lot of the books as well. I think the most important things I can sum up in three very easy points. One that the thing that normally talks about about being a parent is your whole job is to enjoy being a parent. A lot of it. They turn it into an ordeal and you've got to worry about this, and it becomes so stressful. If you can keep reminding yourself, even at the tough times when you're exhaust and overwhelmed by all, your job is to enjoy it. It is the greatest privilege in life is to be someone's parents. So the job is to enjoy them always, always always, always, always always always keep them talking the moment those channels of communication start to get shut down, don't hang on to being who's right and who's wrong. That is a life of misery. The most important thing is to keep them always talking, especially during the teenagers as well. Tough tougher than ever to be a teenager right now in these crazy times. Keep them talking. And the other thing is, never Caleb, never ever stopped working on your own bs. They see it all. You're always teaching your kids a lesson, and they're not always good lessons. How you are with your anger, your joy, your dreams of frustration. They are watching all of it. So always be working on your own inner stuff. Otherwise you pass it on to them. Work on your own stuff, or you're just going to pass it on to them. The best use of stuff you can do is to keep working on your own inner stuff, because I'm telling you now, they are mirror. They see all of it. My daughters now have tracked me quicker than my own wife. They know when I'm lying quicker than I do. I remember when the ratings went down to third last year and I was trying to tell them. They were like, oh my god, are you gonna get sacked?
Speaker 3: Are we going to be homeless? Are you going to a bit of pain against you? Universal's like a press conference. I was getting any stressed. I was going, it doesn't matter, and they were going, we don't believe you. There's no way you don't think it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. And then my way of fact, Chris, can we have a word. You're trying to tell them that you're okay with this? Yeah, okay, to go back out, Patsy, Well, but how would you summon up?
Speaker 2: I've just got to say, you just talking like that is so inspiration for me as a mom, with you know, keeping the communication lines open. That's so true that my.
Speaker 1: Mums have to work so much harder now can be. I'm not trying to be fake, honest. My wife works far harder as a parent than I do, and I think even Chris, your husband would agree with that as well. Mums, no, no, no, mums are the sense of the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I think initially definitely, But what I would say to our listener is particularly within you.
Speaker 1: Please call them Caleb Rother.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sorry I forgot Caleb's name. Congratulations.
Speaker 1: You don't know who I am right now. She's a mom.
Speaker 2: Love to think about instinct. Follow your instinct. You have this newborn. There's no guide book. You don't know what the hell you're doing. Your boobs are leaking. Everything's happening. You're not sleeping.
Speaker 1: Caleb's boobs are leaking. Go see a doctor. Go to go to chemists warehouse. They've got patches.
Speaker 2: Follow your instinct and you do know what to do. I can remember with Audrey, she was crying. I had she was a colligy baby, she was six weeks prem It was all happening. It was five years in the making, you know, infertility, and I finally had this baby, and I felt like I'd had this massive, big run up to being a mum and suddenly I remember one day I really didn't feel like I knew what I was doing, and my mother came up to help, just to release so I could go and have a shower, and she said, just keep calm. You do know what you're doing. Follow your instinct. But Mom, I don't have an instinct, and she said, you do, it's inside of you. And you know what, don't listen to what anyone else for your mum, hand generation to you, angel, angel, and don't listen to what what might work for someone else doesn't necessarily work for you. And the other thing, the third and last thing I would say. A maternal nurse said to me, I'd picked Audrey up and she said, I'll be careful with that. Don't nurse her too much. So you know, it's all, don't do this, don't do this, you should be doing that. I wish I hadn't have listened to that, because now, even though she's nearly fifteen, I would give my left leg to be able to just pick her up in my arms and give her a cuddle and sniff right into a little head. And you know, you're just so conscious of everyone says don't pick them up. Then you'll have to nurse them all the time. To hell with that. Do whatever you want, do what's right for you, and you'll be a perfect parent. Enjoy it. It goes so fast, beautiful stuff.
Speaker 3: Christian O'Connell Shark go On podcast