Speaker 1: I would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which this episode is being recorded, the Coomboo Marry people. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Today I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, and this is the Rise and Concer podcast. This is the podcast where we cha mindset, self development and becoming your higher self mix soon with a lot of laughs, plus behind the scenes of my life running two businesses and being among Think of us as the perfect combo of brunch with your besties mixed with self development. No matter where you are in your journey, we're here to help you be curious, pull yourself out, and embrace radical self awareness. If you're ready to get into the driver's seat of your own life and stop letting life pass you by, then you're in the right place. Hello everybody, welcome back to the potty. Today we have the most special episode for you. It's actually part one of two with Kate Jones aka Dedicated Lifestyle, and in this episode we are chatting about diet culture, her fitness journey, how to find yourself after having a bit of a toxic phase. Kate's biggest shift in influencing Kate's self love journey, the challenges she encountered, and what self love can look like for you. If you are someone who has struggled with self love or self worth, especially when it comes to body image, then you will absolutely love this episode. Kate has such an incredible journey with her self love and I just cannot wait for you guys to hear it. Also, in case you missed it, we are launching Goddess Energy, which is a self love journal in collaboration with Kate. So this journal is incredible, guys. I just love it because it's so different to anything that we have created at Rise and Conquer. So to bring out a journal that Kate has put so much time, love and her whole journey into a journal, and of course it's got the Rise and Conquer touches essentially. There is a daily spread with prompts for the morning and the night. There's also heaps of self love activities and guys, this journal is so beautiful. I would really recommend this journal if you are just wanting to get into journaling, if you're kind of new to self development. If you really want to work on that self love muscle, this journal is going to be beautiful. It does. It's a spread for over twelve weeks too, so it's like this beautiful journey you go on. And Guys, because we love you so so much, we are actually going to give you early access to this launch to our Facebook group. So this is available to our Facebook group members from eight am today and general sale will be from four pm today. So help in the Facebook group if you want early access. I know, I'm so excited me too. What's your favorite part of the journal?
Speaker 2: Tt my, I love the whole thing. I love the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I have a very good reason as to why I don't have a favorite part though. Tell me. One of my big human design themes throughout my life is self love. So it's something I struggle with and I love that this journal gives me the daily accountability to work on that point of my life's journey kind of thing. And it's like, even though I can grab our manifestation journal or our nighttime journal and like free right and entire page, this just does something so different for me because it's an aspect that I really struggle with. So I tend to avoid sometimes, so it's really accountable for that. But then also like how well thought out the activities are and that they're not just like at the beginning, they're throughout, so it's like just something new every few weeks for me to try and dive deeper on. Yeah, I am. I love the consistency of it and the simplicity. Yeah, it's so it's so beautiful. I was doing it the other day and I was like, Oh, one of the prompts like really got me and it like made me so emotional. Yeah, it's so beautiful because they're so simple. It should only take you know, five or ten minutes, and it really shifted something inside me. So beautiful.
Speaker 2: I know, what's your favorite part?
Speaker 1: I I love the hot that the prompts are different every single day. I think it's so funny. I'm like, I'm never thought like because like it's so thought I thought. I know. I just yeah, I love that it's different every single day and it kind of you know, you can still create the habit, but it's like this beautiful making you think you know something. But and some of the questions are like a little bit left film, you know. I'm like, oh, I'm so glad you asked this. I never would have had a thought about this. And then often I will bring that conversation into Tim and it's almost like a conversation starter too, which I find is really beautiful.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he prompts it jump out at me. I've started highlighting, so like on the days I feel like I can go deeper, I'll like page through, find the highlighted ones and skip to the end where the free pages are, and go deeper. She's committed. She's committed. But before we get into it, we do have weekly REX. What's yours? G, you go first while I think of mine. Mine is our conversations. Yeah, this is tell us why G. I did them at the beach with my best friend on the weekend and ended up in tears. A tear literally sent us a picture picture of her crying with the card and just being like, I just did a conversation cards at the beach and I'm crying and I was like, oh my god, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they are one hundred percent my recommendation. It's like I forget how good they are and then I use them again and.
Speaker 2: I'm like, these are amazing.
Speaker 1: I know, it's like good any good habit, and you're like, fuck this, I don't know why I stop this, Like why do I not carry this with me everywhere? So they are back in the bag and coming everywhere with me.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: I have a second bonus wreck. It's a movie called A Beautiful Game on Netflix and it's about soccer, but it's based on the true story of the Homeless World Cup. So every year they take homeless people to play, like in an international soccer tournament against homeless people from other countries. Really yes, and like a real thing. It's a real thing. It's in Korea this year, and it's like based on this beautiful story and how they pick these people and how much it changes their life for their perspective, and it just like gives them something to work for and they can only participate once so that everybody sort of gets to turn and it's just like the most heartwarming, feel good, beautiful movie I've watched in a while.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love that so much. I feel like the RNC community would love that. Thank you for sharing.
Speaker 1: What's my recommendation is to create a high vibe playlist. We did this for our alignment Challenge and the Rise app and I have just gone back into like high vibe music and it's this high vibe like a little bit spiritual, so spiritual love. I even have a specific song I put on when I am coming to like Naked Harvest and I need to be like nh CEO and then I have a specific song.
Speaker 2: For R and C. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, that's my recommendation, get back into the vibe beats love. Shall we get into the episode, of course, let's do it. Kate Jones, Welcome to the Rise and Conquered podcast again.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I'm a bit of like a seasoned veteran. You are, Yeah, ah, I love coming on these podcasts, so it's so fun.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like it's even more exciting this time because not only have you grown so much as a person, we also have so much more history relations Who is she?
Speaker 2: I know, I'm like a personal development girly, a book giry, like what's going on?
Speaker 1: A journal now?
Speaker 2: Like since the first time I came on these podcast I feel like I'm kind of a different person, you know, joke you are and we in the best way.
Speaker 1: But we said this yesterday at the shoot I'm like, who would have thought, Like, if you saw yourself twenty four months ago, would you have like been like, oh my god, I've got a journal. I'm a self development galie. Like, I know you journal every single day. Yeah, I know you do monthly audience. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I would never have thought that I would kind of into this world. But since doing it, I feel like it's kind of addictive and you just keep going. It's really rewarding.
Speaker 1: It's really rewarding. And well, I think as humans innately like we love to see progress, we love to see an evolution. So once you start, it does get addictive because you start to feel that little bit better, you start to see changes, you start to like just notice you're wanting to have deeper conversations. Your connections with certain people are like feeling deeper and just like more fulfilling. Yeah, and you're like, oh, there's something.
Speaker 2: To this, definitely, And I feel like you kind of know almost like what questions to ask to get those relationships as well, and like delve deeper with yourself and with other people. I think it opens totally new relationships because of how you connect with people.
Speaker 1: Totally. Yeah, it's a bit of fun bit of fun. Well, hold one moment, because do you want to just give a quick intro into who you are? For those who are living under a rock? Yeah, and't haven't listened to the original podcast and haven't seen you all over you know Instagram and my social Yes, but Kay Jones, tell us who are you?
Speaker 2: So I'm a content creator. I like to now think I'm a bit of like a fashion influencer, and I've definitely thank you so much. I've started kind of delving into a lot more aspects of life, as I guess, like a bigger picture. I think I was very kind of in a box in my early stages of either weight loss or fitness, and then very strong body acceptance body positivity, where now I think I've really branched out and show my life in all aspects, incorporating body acceptance and self love. So I think now I'm able to show a lot more of my hobbies and my interests and incorporate that into my socials rather than it being this I guess like really serious message. But yeah, I kind of show all aspects of my life. I love encouraging my community to live their best lives except who they are. Love different aspects of themselves that they may not have before, and I think to show up as their most like authentic self is kind of my goal and have fun at the same time and just be a bit, you know, just for a little bit of a goose. Yeah. I feel like now as well, I'm always looking for opportunities to connect with my audience and to really build that relationship on a deeper level and see the difference that I'm able to have in their lives as well. I think that's a really big focus and just working on things that I'm passionate about that align with me. Yeah, kind of just like everything in one I love that.
Speaker 1: I also love that you touched on, you know, even with your social media presence that, Yeah, like your mission is to help people accept themselves and be their authentic self, but also you have so much more depth in so many other areas of your life because I think, you know, we went through a stay age where it was fitzbo disorted eating diet culture and that was the vibe, and then it's like we did a pendulum swing and it was like except yourself of every inch, every it felt like so serious and very very heavy, I think, very heavy. Yeah, so I actually love now that you're like, yeah, of course they talk about those things, but I also talk about books. I'm also doing fashion and I'm such a multi facet person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I love.
Speaker 1: That we're moving into this era because I feel like for so long, you know, this is a bit of a tangent, but especially with social media, people literally wants now this whole podcast. People felt like they had to niche out yes, and like, well, I can only talk about body positivity because I'm that girl social media and like that's just for me personally, that's just not it. Like I want to know you're a human. I want to know you have like other tress and I love that you encompass that on you know, your social media. Yes, and I really wanted to be more than just that person, like have that relationship and have that message, but intertwine it into different types of content.
Speaker 2: So like my fashion content is still where what you want, love who you are, express yourself for your fashion, but in a way that is not so serious. It's just like a bit fun experiment with different things, see what you like, and kind of intertwining that self acceptance or self love message through other avenues. Because I'm like into so many different things, so I didn't want to put myself into a box and it was kind of hard to break out of that image as well. But yeah, I feel like now I've got a really good mixture of what I share and what I do.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, I love that so much. And can I just say, like, I love your content, thank you so much. Fun, thank you.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of fun creating it, and I think that is what translates into what you see. I think if someone's not having fun creating the content and it's a bit mundane enjoyable.
Speaker 1: Well, you even said that last night we went out to dinner and Kate said that she's like, you know, previously you'll create content. You're like, I wanted to create this content, but now she's like, if I'm not feeling it and if I'm not on the right vibe, I'm not going to create that piece of content because that can absolutely like shine through and like, don't tell me you're not a manifesting guy, because that is that's energy. Baby. Yeah, so yep, it's my frequency exactly.
Speaker 2: It's just magnetic.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can tell what I'm magnetic exactly.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I want that to translate in what I share and what I show, and I want that vibe to come through to the people watching so that then they get uplifted by whatever they're watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who is she a queen?
Speaker 1: Let's go straight into self love and I would love for you to share kind of like a defining moment or experience that led you to start prioritizing self love.
Speaker 2: Some people would have heard this story before I, I think on a few podcasts, but essentially this was kind of my like revolving door moment. And before my wedding, which was in twenty seventeen, I had a moment where I was thinking about the honeymoon, thinking about the wedding, thinking about the menus, and stressing about what I was going to eat, what the calories were going to be, how I was going to track it in my app and that was overarching all of my thoughts about my wedding. I was thinking about that instead of thinking about what the day actually meant, and to me, I was like, I don't know. I kind of had a bit of a moment talking to my husband about it, to be husband saying this is what I'm concerned about and he was like, why are you thinking about that when it's literally our wedding day, so priorities were a bit skewed, and he kind of pulled me back to earth and we had a conversation around that, and that was kind of my turning point of going, something's got to give. I'm a shell of a human. All I'm thinking about is what I'm eating when I'm going to the gym, how long i can go to the gym for today, what I'm eating on my honeymoon, not thinking about what I'm giving to other people, and how I was showing up was just not who I was. So I think that was a bit of obviously that was my big revelation of yeah, something needs to change, something needs to give, And can I even.
Speaker 1: Ask, like going back almost the point where you like, what was the thing that made you decide I do want to start caring about losing weight. I do want to start caring about what.
Speaker 2: I eat, Like initially, yeah, what was that for you? It was kind of kind of by chance. I was sick, Like I got sick and lost I don't even remember how much weight, but remember losing a small amount of weight. And then something happened, something clicked where I held on to that, and then that became like my new challenge. I have a bit of an addictive personality and if we couldn't tell, we and yeah that I kind of held onto that and then ran with that, and then it just spiraled. I think once I got a taste of the compliments people were giving me, the feelings I was ge getting from people complementing my body, how I was looking that essentially I was looking better than I did before. I just held onto that and ran with that. And it was also in that time of fitness, weight loss Fitzbo's instagram, that's all it was, and it's all you consumed, So I think it was very normalized for that to be the ideal and for that to be the goal essentially, So I kind of, yeah, just spiraled and held onto that until it got to a point of obviously unhealthy obsession. And then Yeah, the wedding was kind of like my catalyst to change things, and I kind of had a bit of a realization that I was definitely in a binge restrict cycle and that I needed to somehow get myself out of that. And that's when I kind of started researching binge eating, body positivity, the other side of what diet culture, the extremes of diet culture can do, and realized that there was a way out essentially.
Speaker 1: And I know you obviously go so much more into this in your masterclass on the Rise app that could you give us like a couple of things that really helped you get out of that binge and restrict cycle.
Speaker 2: Definitely professional literature, So I read a lot of books that were from doctors and from psychologists.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite.
Speaker 2: I loved Brain over Binge. That was like my healing book. I read it so quickly, I listened to the podcast. It was something that I felt like she was speaking to me and my problems and what I was doing in my behaviors, and I, Yeah, just consumed that so quickly, and it kind of made me then branch out into other I guess books and podcasts and that sort of realm because I didn't even know that existed, because I didn't think I had a problem. So once I opened that door and realized there was so much out there to consume and to help me on my journey, that was kind of where it all started in the healing process. I definitely think professional help is so important, whether that's through a book, a podcast, seeing someone in person. Yeah, that was kind of my first step to recovery.
Speaker 1: My bookook was just eat it so good. That was the book for me that I remember reading it crying.
Speaker 2: It's got a big donut on the front. Yeah, yes, I know, the exactly one.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 2: It is amazing. She has a podcast too, that's really good she does.
Speaker 1: And that was the book for me where it's kind of like I didn't know I had a problem, and then I totally I was getting all these like signs to like look into it, and then I found this book and I like stumbled it across it and I read it and I remember having this moment of crying because for the first time I felt like seen in my oh wow, no, I do have a problem, but there is an answer, yes and understood.
Speaker 2: And I think you feel so alone when you're in that sort of mentality of like it's shameful as well, there's this big shame that's put on it, of like you don't want to tell anyone or talk about it. Yeah, So feeling like there is someone out there that can help and there is a way out is so massive and so like the best step in the right direction to start with and finding something you relate to, because I think there's some books and some professionals that just didn't hit the mark for me or that I was like, Oh, I don't know, but as soon as you listen to that right thing, like it flicks a switch and you realize that, oh, yeah, this is going to.
Speaker 1: Help m I love talking about the concept because I remember with my stage of disordered eating, there was this moment where I realized that every thought I had, very similar to you, was like every thought I had was consumed by what was my next meal? What's the lowest calorie? Yeah, how I was going to work out? My biggest aha moment was when I did do a lot of you know, the inner work, I did seek professional help. I started just having so much more capacity for life. Yeah, and like that's honestly when I then started Naked Harvest and like I went on to go and do all these amazing things for you, was there kind of a moment when you looked back where you were like, wow, my life is so much more fuller, Oh, because they.
Speaker 2: Just have so much more, say one hundred percent. I think you really realize when you take away the diet culture side of things and how much that's controlling you and your brain, how much space you have to think about so many other things, whether that's projects, work like. It was one of the things that then allowed me to leave my full time teaching job because I could think further ahead than my next meal or my next event or my next social thing that I had to worry about. I could think about the bigger picture, take it all in, and have the capacity to make decisions about things that were not food related or weight related. It made me really see that there was like obviously more out there because essentially diet culture and that whole industry is trying to keep us small. It's trying to keep us quiet, it's trying to keep us focused on Yeah, trying to keep us focused on ourself so that we can't do anything else and so that we pay them the money and we buy their products, because that's all they want us to do. They're not there to try and help us. It's to try and I guess monetize off us and keep us small.
Speaker 1: So totally like take up the space, take up space, And something I love about your journey too. And this is just going off on a tangent as I w was to is because like when you left teaching full time to do Instagram full time, your message at that point was body acceptance.
Speaker 2: Yes, it must have been fresh into kind of making that switch though, because.
Speaker 1: I swear I found your account because you made that switch because I was in the same boat. Yes, And something that I loved was the concept of you could leave, you know, your full time job to go and do this social media thing, and you weren't leaving it to go be a fitness influencer. Yes. Yes, And it's like it's such a testament to like there are actually no rules because in my mind I wanted to be small and fitter to fit in to get to where I want to be. Yes, so in love with your journey that it's like you absolutely got to where you want to be by being yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was almost the opposite of that. Yeah, It's like I had to rebel against diet culture and all of society's ideals and expectations to be able to live the life I wanted to live and to spread the message I wanted to spread. And I think that I really had to step into who I actually was, because I'd lost so much of that along the way that I really had to kind of rediscover what I wanted to share, what my value was, and who I was as a person because that past version just wasn't it. So yeah, I think the fact that I could it was also kind of like, again taboo. At that point, there wasn't many people that were kind of going the other way and against that culture. I think it was still very fitnessy culture back then. So for me to then flip that switch and to be quite open about my body changing and weight going on and my lifestyle changing and whatever was kind of not necessarily unseen or unheard of, but it was really fresh. So yeah, that transition was something that was kind of totally new. So I kind of loved that in a way that it was almost a bit of a breakthrough moment for socials, for people to see other people living that life and going, hang on a second, like, I don't have to fit into that box to have my dream life. I can do this and be who I want to be and eat what I want to eat and not be so consumed by those thoughts but still achieve the things I want to achieve. So yeah, I think it was kind of the opposite of what was happening.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. And I think because let's even just take you back a moment for me personally, something I loved about your content to which I hadn't seen because again, I felt like on social media it's either you were like a full fitness person yep, or you were full body positivity and it was like, no, I'm not gonna work out, I'm gonna like eat whatever I want. And what I found with your account is like you were this person in the middle who was like, I still love going to gym, I still love moving my body. You know, you took NH products, you were still about your health, but you did it in just such a like holistic way and just way that not many people on social media spoke about. And that's really what attracted me to your content. Yeah. I was just like, well, she's really just breaking all the rules and I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh I love that, And I love that that's what you took from it, because definitely, I still no matter what size I've been or what I've been into at the time, I still prioritize what makes me feel good and what makes my brain function the best and allows me to focus. And I honestly find movement joyful and it's fun and when you're there for me. I'm very social, so I trained with friends. I find it very like uplifting and it's vibey, you know, like it's a great way to start my day. And I don't think that gym and movement have to be categorized in that kind of diet culture box, because you can do all those things and you can have those in your routine and still be kind of, you know, living your own path and doing what makes you feel good, not what you feel like you have to do. I don't go to gym because I feel like I have to and I need to. I don't know look a certain way or anything. It's honestly all about how you feel. And when you find those things that make you feel great, regardless of what they are, then like honor that, you know, whether that's create like you feel like a salad one day cool, so like you can never eat a salad again because that reflects type culture, or you can never go to the gym again because that reflects diype culture. You can still do the things as long as your mentality around those things is I guess more positive and beneficial to your mental health, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think it's still and you're doing it for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, not for those external validations or because you feel like you have to. It's because you can and you want to, and having that mind shift is really important as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thank you. So I would love let's actually chat about your definition of self love and why you think it's important or what you think is important of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think self love is so individual and how you kind of categorize that and what you see self love as will depend on the individual. For me, it's essentially about almost being so detached from your body that it doesn't impact the decisions you're making. It doesn't impact what you think you can do. It's you accept who you are as you are, and you're kind of neutral about how you look. It's not a focus in your everyday decisions. It's not a focus in feeling like you can do something or can't do something. It's just it's who you are. It's your vessel to get you through life, and you accept that and you honor that and you treat it with care and kindness. But I don't think it has to be a I love every inch every day, because that's not realistic either. I think it's more in acceptance and just being at peace with who you are and what you look like.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love the point of you saying detachment because I think it's unrealistic that it's like you're going to be absolutely obsessed with the way you look.
Speaker 2: Every section, every day, in every single outfit. It's just not realistic.
Speaker 1: I almost see. Like for me self, love is almost the concept of you just don't even You're just not too worried about the reflection, Like you still look at yourself and you know, you get changed, you feel a certain way, but it's like it doesn't affect you in the way of, oh, well, I look like this, so I'm going to change what I wear. You're still allowed to have the thoughts of like, oh, you know, I'm feeling a bit bloated, I've got my period, all those things, but then it doesn't affect you then making certain decisions of how you go out through that day, like for example, I do have my period this week, and I have been just having a lot of you know, cramps and uncomfortable, and I have had moments where I'd like, oh, I'm retaining a lot of water and I'm just I'm not feeling great. But that doesn't affect me to wear anything different or to like act different. But in saying that, I'm not going to stand in front of the mirror and be like, fuck I look sexy.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can, yeah, yeah, yeah. And I think I think as well that you can have those thoughts and think it, but then that's it. But then it's gone. You're not dwelling on it all day. You're not sitting Yeah, it's really not that serious, Like have the thought and allow yourself to feel the feelings, but then you move on and you can still be like, okay, but in tomorrow or in a week's time, like you're not still thinking about that one day.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, it's almost like seeing the bigger picture, yes, and yeah, like then that would not affect me for the rest of their day. But it's also like I have those thoughts sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely. And I think that people often think self love is that you feel amazing every day and you love every inch and whatever, when that's just it's not what self love is. I think self love is more about acceptance and appreciation for what your body does, no matter how it looks on a particular day, yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: And kindness, yeah, like compassion of in those moments where you're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, like it's all good exactly. And it's not always about your body either, Like self love doesn't have to be in your reflection or how you see yourself. I think self love is just honoring the things that make you happy, that bring your joy, that make you, you know, love your life. Like that is also drawing attention to those things and honoring those things and nurturing those things so that then the body stuff isn't so much of a focus, so you're able to continue living your life and doing all those things, focusing on the internals and what brings you joy rather than that external validation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I think even like my journey was self love even in the last I want to say, maybe six months, has even developed more because I've been working with this mind body trauma coach and we have been doing a lot of work around my thyroid disease, and so we have been doing a lot of like letting go of like emotional trauma and different things in my body and focusing on healing my thyroid. And so it's also self love in the way of really prioritizing rest and really prioritizing like would this put my body in a state of healing my thyroid? Yeah, And that's obviously like a very niche specific point, but again it's not even about like my physical body. It's like, oh, well, I'm not going to do a hit class because yes, I've then got a stressful workday, So I think what's going to be better is like pilates or your Yeah, because at the moment, the priority is, like, you know, healing my physical body definitely. And I think it's in even when you say that, I think it's in kind of knowing what feels good for you and if something feels a bit off, like your thighroider, like whatever, that might be honoring that as well and going like you are valuing yourself enough to put yourself first, find whatever is going on, or do whatever is making you feel good in that way rather than just being about your physical body. I think it's really important to see it in a way of yeah, it's what essentially kind of like like you're saying, like honors what you want to do, what's going to make you feel good, what benefits that future version of you and makes you get through the day in a better way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know exactly. Yeah, And like whatever that morning routine looks like for you, that could be your active self love for the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Let's chat about what's kind of like challenges that you have encountered on your self love journey and then how you've overcome them, because I feel like a lot of people would be interested in that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's a few things that were that obviously came up. One which is it's kind of going to be different for other people. But was the point when I made that switch on my social media obviously being a fitness girlie who was showing all of her food and tracking and stuff to then going, oh, I'm not tracking anymore, I'm not dieting anymore. I am essentially flipping my identity. That came with comments and trolls and people saying you've let yourself go and I followed you for this and now you're not this and how could you do this? This is what I looked up to you for. So that was a big challenge me to overcome, and I had to really lean on my support system because they were very much like, that's not you anymore, though, and you can reinvent yourself, and you can. Your content doesn't have to be reflective of that old version because you're going to constantly evolve. So I really had to kind of get out of my own head with that and like disassociate from those comments, because if I was to get sucked back in by those comments and go back to that life I was living, how was I staying true to what I wanted to do, who I wanted to be, I would be going back to that shell of a human. So my support system in that time definitely helped. But that was a big struggle of kind of finding my new identity, essentially, because I was always kind of known as the girl that lost all that weight and was on TV shows for it, in interviews for it, and so I'm like, is that a failure? If then I now do the total opposite and put weight on and live the opposite life of what I was doing, is that then seen as like no one's interested because that's not what I was known for. So that was a really big struggle for me, but then I guess more generally. Obviously, with getting out of that diet mindset, I did put weight on. So being a new size finding new clothes, that was a mental barrier I really had to get over because for so long I'd based my worth on the size of my clothes. So to then go shopping and new I had to go upper size, order two different sizes and not no what size I was. I actually got to the point of cutting all of the tags off my clothes. I found it so consuming that when I was trying things on, all I was looking at was the size, and in the morning, if a certain size didn't fit or I had to go up, that would determine then my mood. So I just chopped all the tags off and then I was like, I don't even know what size I am, it doesn't matter. I look good, I feel good. And then that allowed me to, yeah, I guess feel great and whenever I was wearing and not even think about the size that was attached to it. That was probably one of my biggest tips that I can give people when recovering, to try and get away because it's so numbers are just all consuming, whether that's scales, or sizes or calories or whatever. I think getting as far away from numbers as you can in whatever way you can is really beneficial. So yeah, that was a way that I kind of overcame the sizing debacle.
Speaker 1: I actually went through something similar of like when I was pregnant, I went upper size, and then I just never safe even when I wasn't fully as it went down and I had to it was like a full mind fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: It's so funny now because what really helped was me being like, well do I want to be a certain size or do I want to be comfortable?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And like I look great, I feel yay and this, and.
Speaker 2: Like no one else knows. You're battling it in your own head. It just even think I always like to think as well as size is so subjective, as in like going to three different stores, your three different sizes, So where is really the validity. It's not like it's a standard across shops. So why are we so concerned about what size we're wearing on a certain day?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Yeah, it's again, it's like it's just space in your head that you could be using for so much, so much more other things that is just keeping you small. Yeah, and I think as well, another thing was like unlearning all of those behaviors because for so long, it was so normal for me to you know, track every single little thing, or go to the gym for this many hours, or think that that's normal to talk about things I didn't like about myself, or that being the topic of conversation. So to unlearn all of that diet culture behavior was also a really big step that I feel like I had to do in order to heal, to try and get as far away from that mindset as possible. But when it's all you've known for two three four years, it's not a quick process, and those thoughts still can come back in throughout the healing journey as well. So I think kind of like being kind to yourself about that and knowing that it's not a flicker switch.
Speaker 2: Everything's great. I love my body, I love who I am. This has been like a what six seven year journey for me, Like it's not an overnight thing. So yeah, I think keeping that in mind as well is really important to kind of give yourself some grace.
Speaker 1: You literally have to rewire your completely. It's completely in brain wine. Yeah, you have to rewire.
Speaker 2: And that is what so many of those books made me realize, is that it was all about finding a new thought pattern and new wiring to my brain because it was just consumed by that for so long.
Speaker 1: So, Kay, what advice would you give someone who's just starting out on their self love journey?
Speaker 2: Obviously start with our Goddess Energy Journal, because obviously throughout the entire journal, we have created activities that are like a double page spread that delve deep into different aspects of self love and acceptance. And I think they're so powerful and so useful and will really be a great tool on people's journey to self love. So that was probably my first one. And then I would definitely say clean out your socials. I spoke about this in the masterclass as well, But I think clearing your feed of those accounts that make you feel worse or make you feel like you need to change, or that you compare yourself to that's not going to be beneficial when you're trying to recover from everything you've been ingrained with about diet culture. So clear out the people that make you feel worse, you know, whether that's then re following people that are like dog accounts or home renovations or things that have nothing to do with your body or your appearance. That can be really, really helpful, and I think in your healing journey, it's good to kind of detach and get as far away from that impact as much as you can, because that's obviously being shoved down our throat everywhere. So then to open your phone and see it again is just another thing. And then also remember that your worth is not measured on a size, on a weight, on a number. There is so much more to you, like your personality, your compassion, your kindness, your energy, how you show up in situations, that's what's going to be remembered. So kind of looking at the bigger picture and realizing that your body and your appearance is not your defining factor. You are so much more than how you appear, and how people describe you is not going to always be about how you look. It's going to be about how you made them feel, what memories you had together, the experiences you shared. That is the value. The value doesn't come from your outer appearance, and I think realizing that and knowing that allows you to then kind of be more accepting of how you look, because you realize it's not such a big deal, like you know, totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that is a massive thing is realizing your worth is not based on your appearance.
Speaker 1: And you're having a bad morning, like the thoughts are coming back, Like what would you say to do?
Speaker 2: I think what I like to do is go back to what makes me feel good and forget about how I look. So whether that is reading a book on the couch, cuddling the dogs, having a bath, doing a face mask, something that fills up my cup and that is a little bit selfish, that also doesn't make me think about what my body looks like that day, or you know, things that I'm being hung up on that day. I think that's really important. And to also know, like we said that the thought will pass, the feeling will pass. Nothing is wrong with you. It doesn't mean that you're going backwards in your journey like it just means you need some time to kind of bring yourself back to what matters and what's important and to send to yourself so that those thoughts don't take over because it's not a long term, Like those thoughts don't have to be a long term thing. You can really like nip them and get rid of them and just sit with what makes you feel good, what brings you joy. I think it's bringing yourself back to almost like that in a child.
Speaker 1: That's what I would say, is like lock into people or things that it's like it's going to help you shift that it's going to help you remember. Often we just need that moment where our brain clicks back and we're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, hang on a second, wait, it bring myself back to earth. I'm actually great person. Yeah, Like I think I think that's important too, to like hype yourself up, like be your own cheerleader, believe in yourself and know that you are amazing, and that's okay. I think people are often they like shy away from not necessarily saying like, oh my god, I'm so amazing, But believing in yourself deep down is so powerful and it's okay to believe in yourself and to think that you are capable of great things. Like I think we're kind of limited in a way of like that's egotistical and that's stuck up, and that's this. It's like you can be confident and believe in yourself without being egotistical, you know. I think it's so important.
Speaker 1: Well, again, I think that's just a belief that keeps us small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely it is.
Speaker 1: And it's like we like you should you should actually think you are the best person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if you don't, like, if you don't, have actually been concerned if you don't, Yeah, because like you should be Like, no, I am a great person in credit and I can achieve whatever I want to achieve. And I think that if you're not believing that about yourself and that's not what you're bringing to the table, how are other people going to support what you're wanting to do if you're not believing in yourself and your abilities?
Speaker 1: You know, and you know this is like a bit of a random thought, but I even go back to the universe, God, angels, whatever you believe in, would not have given me this amazing body exactly how it is. If this was not like the vessel, the body that I was meant to be in to go and do all the awesome.
Speaker 2: Shit, like it's exactly who you meant to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like they did not get it wrong.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a mistake. It was a mistake. No, here's your.
Speaker 1: Body and then you lose ten killings, change it or your dreams come true. No, they gave you the exact body that you're in right now for you a reason go and do whatever is on your heart.
Speaker 2: And if you believe that, how powerful is that to believe that? Like, if you go into things with that mindset, how can you kind of go wrong? And how can you not believe in yourself because you literally are believing you're built to be the exact way you are and achieve the things you deserve to achieve exactly, So like why would you think anything else?
Speaker 1: And that's You're just like you need to I one hundred percent. You just need to remember. And that's why, like I know, your pep talk is like so powerful and your meditation is so powerful because you just need those moments where you're like, oh my god, yes, i am exactly who I'm meant to be. I'm an amazing person, I'm in the body I'm meant to be. Nothing's a mistake. Like this is.
Speaker 2: Literally all perfect, yeap, And life is perfect and you are perfect and you.
Speaker 1: Are so fast perfect. Well, I feel like that's an amazing point to end on. And Kate, thank you so much for joining us and talking to us about this very very important topic. I think like you're just such a breath of fresh air and we all need the reminder. Like even then me talking, I was like, oh I need, I need.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right. Yeah I have a bad bitch.
Speaker 1: I am a fucking baddie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, and thank you so much much for having me. I think it's so important to spread that message, but also in a way that is really like relatable for all different people. It doesn't have to be this scary, overwhelming concept of self love. I think it can be daunting. So I think breaking it down into ways that are really like digestible and easy to incorporate into your everyday life is important as well.
Speaker 1: So important. Yeah, thank you so much, Thank you, Thank you so much for listening to another episode of the Rise and Conquer podcast. If you enjoyed it and want more, come connect with us on Instagram at Rise Andconquer dot podcast and join our Facebook discussion group, a Rise and Concer podcast community. We're an independent podcast and we have a small team, so we do appreciate your time and support. If you have a spare moment, a follow or subscribe on whatever platform you listen to would be so amazing and look. If you're feeling extra kind, a review on Apple podcasts would be great.