Speaker 1: Hey, Legends, Welcome back to The Mason Cox Show. Big episode. Today, we're gonna talk about show voting, yay or nay. We're gonna go into that. There's a lot of comebacks this week too. Is this one of the craziest seasons yet? I'm not too sure. I thought Carlton was on the top two. Like last week it's insane and last we we're gonna talk about that Collingwood versus Sydney game and dissect a bit of what happened. There's a lot in this episode, so settle in because we're starting the podcast now. All right, legend, it is a big podcast. We're gonna get straight into this one. Welcome Brandon.
Speaker 2: Oh, I get as I want to jump into my clanger because it's a beautiful I want to say. Every team in the AFL is getting the clang this week because no one wants to win the flag.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, not one.
Speaker 2: Team in this competition wants to win the flag because no one is willing to step up and grab it. At the moment, we're looking at someone like a GWS. Maybe Port's going okay, but you know, like their coaches were going to get sacked half way through the year. Now we're looking at the teams that were flying and they're crap. They're all out of the eight. Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton were top four a few weeks ago. Now where are they. We're looking at Freo. Freo could have been second thirty times this year and now I know there's not even thirty rounds in it. And that's how crap they've managed to be. I just don't understand it. People are saying how exciting the year is and how exciting the season is, but it's not for any good reason. Every team is falling down. We're seeing like the least clut Essendon. They go and do a massive comeback last week. And I know if you, if you're an Essendon fan, I gave you shit last week and there's going to be a heap more heaped on you this week because bloody how you had a crappy game on the weekend And crap is going to be a word I use a lot in this podcast. But you go out, you come back and you beat Freo last week, We're oh, yeah, we're still a chance for finals, and then you kick one nine in the last quarter to lose by a point after the siren. Oh my goodness, talk about whatever. The opposite of clutches, they're the break, they're the break. There's the accelerator, there's the clutch, and then there's the break. All these teams are just falling off, choking, fumbling the bag. No one wants to win the Grand Final this year. We should just call it off. We should call it off. Sydney has just scraped through on the top of the ladder and they've been losing for the last month.
Speaker 1: Are you okay?
Speaker 2: I just grab what's the point of this? What are we doing? Why are we here? Go grab a couple of sandful teams, a couple of waffle sides and see if they want it.
Speaker 1: That's what is coming in.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Tachy could come in and sweep this. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Oh it's good to see you're having a great day, Brandon.
Speaker 2: And all these comebacks and stuff, there's like fumbling the bag. Inside of fumbling the bag. It's like these teams don't want to win the game, but they're also losing from thirty points up.
Speaker 1: It's a very unpredictable year, very unpredictable year.
Speaker 2: Crap year, mates, But we sit here and we wait till finals and hope that it all turns around in finals, because you look at finals and you look at the teams that are in there, and you go, I don't know who's going to take this thing, but hopefully, hopefully it works out for the best. I hope they all get it together all in finals and they all stand up, because they're all falling over at the moment.
Speaker 1: If you're kicking one to nine and a quarter in finals, how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Oh my, imagine that. I imagine that I couldn't contain myself to my seat. I would have to you the place I don't have to go and do something. But yeah, I don't know. I feel like some fans we give them stick for the other week for booing or whatever. I think booing is, Like that's showing a fair amount of restraints. Like how angry I would be kicking one to nine and going down by the OPO team kicking two straight goals one after the siren.
Speaker 1: I loved Max Skull. I'm I'm off for as a Gold Coast guy. I just I love it.
Speaker 2: You know what he did and he kicked four four for the game.
Speaker 1: Absolutely love to talk.
Speaker 2: About clutch, Big Mac, the big Fella.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well, that's great. Great to know your clanger is essentially everyone in the IFL. You're loving the season so far, it's been great. I'm assuming a lot of your multis have lost. I'm assuming there's some financial for months.
Speaker 2: I haven't been putting them on.
Speaker 1: Well, good, good guy. It's that's that's a great start. I'm all going to go with My klanger is not going to be IFL. It's actually gonna be related to the Olympics. Now in the Olympics all closing ceremonial obviously the any of this week, and France had some incredible opportunities. Obviously it's in Paris, it's in their big, big city there in Paris, and they had men's basketball, they had women's basketball, they had the break dancing, which they brought in. They decided to say, you know what, we're pretty good at this. We're going to actually bring the sport into the Olympics so we can guarantee your gold. And then they all so had men's soccer, so four of like the big team sports that everyone watches, they have like very good players and all those different events. They go to the Grand Final or the final game of all of them. In all four of those they lose, they get silver's in. They had a chance to just go out on a high out in one of any of those four, and they just like you would say, fumbled the bag. Yeah, absolutely fumbled the bag. For me, Oh, you can't pick a sport.
Speaker 2: It's like when it comes to Australia in a couple of Olympics time, if we put afl in there and they stitched us up, Bloody Barly beats us.
Speaker 1: Or something.
Speaker 2: Goes yea, they live playing for him. But yeah, I don't know. You can't bring in your own sport. And while we're on it, the soccer, what's the point of that in the Olympics because it's not all the big stars are in there. It's like the under twenty ones men's B reserve team, like.
Speaker 1: A few stars. There's a few stars, but.
Speaker 2: There's like it's not you're not watching like you know.
Speaker 1: It's the World Cups. They're pinnacle. I do understand that. Yeah, it's kind of like the X Games with the skateboarders. I think X Games is probably a bit more than gold medals. But anyway, that's mine. France, your suck.
Speaker 2: Most people can get around France. We'll get around that. Let's jump into some results. Bad one off the top Friday Night forty is Sydney getting the job done over Collingwood. We will talk talk about that later, dissected deep dive in it. Just live through the pain. Brisbane. Harrow in the booth loves this one. Brisbane getting done at home. GWS, He's given us the finger behind the scenes. North Melbourne, Oh my god, talk about fumbling the bag, but no one really caring. North lost to West Coast in tazzy talk about the most irrelevant thing you've ever heard in your life. Fremantle dropped another one at home, this time against the geriatric Geelong team over there. Essendon. I'm just so sorry to all the Essendon supporters out there because it's going to be another twenty years. Gold Coast get their first away win for the year.
Speaker 1: Huge. You did say it was an important one for us.
Speaker 2: I think gold Coast just waited until like this has got a Dimmer's got to just be kicking himself in the shins because it's like, oh, when can we not make finals? All right? Now? Yeah, okay, now we'll win an away game. Like do it when it matters anyway. Melbourne, Oh my god, kick them. There's fifty one to fifty three, go down to Port Adelaide. Not a very exciting shoot out that one.
Speaker 1: Carlton, Oh, Carlton, this was wild and it's some die or circumstances over there.
Speaker 2: Carlton absolutely flogged by eighty odd points against Hawthorne Hawk ball up and about. They replaced them in the top eight, Carlton out of the top eight. They were second. The other way. Richmond getting flogged by Saint Kilda. We all know they've knocked off, which is fine. It's a long year knockoff. You just recover Adelaide getting the job done over Western Bulldogs. It's not like expect that one. It's not like a crazy result because Adelaide's been good this year. It's just we thought Western Bulldogs were on a tear. So that's a costly little speed bump in the season.
Speaker 1: It was my cock clock of the wig last week. So you're welcome everyone out there.
Speaker 2: What did I I don't even remember what I said, but it would have been something good.
Speaker 1: Probably. Yeah, let's get into the hot topics. What do you got for us? Oh?
Speaker 2: Is this season the wildest end or slash shitt at season we've ever seen in footy. I'll let you.
Speaker 1: Just optimism here. This season is wild. I think ever since I've come to this country ten years ago, this has been the closest I've seen it for the whole time I've been here. Like it's just to see, like you said, like Carlton was too, I feel like a week ago and now they're out of the eight and then you're looking at other teams that around the virgin Eston you know, there they're not there, then there they're not there. And at the beginning of the year they were like pretty much a lock. People were saying of like top eight were fine making finals, and now people are going, I don't know, I don't know. It is such an interesting and I'm like, if you just sit there and say, like, you know, out of the top eight teams right now, you know, obviously we hope that Collingwood makes into the eight mex Finals. If you were to take us out of there, if I were to say, who's going to win besides us, like I have no idea. There is not a clear cut favorite like the Sydney at the top. They've lost quite a few games as of very sense. So you want to have form gone in the finals. What's what's got on.
Speaker 2: Like power rankings? If you had like a top five, let's go top five power rankings right now, you've got to take Collingwood out of it, which is going to be hard if you take them out of it. But let's take Collingwood out of it, and you've got to pick top five.
Speaker 1: Cheez. I would say Brisbane's probably one at the moment. Now that's a controversial one because.
Speaker 2: They GWS, who's on a massive.
Speaker 1: Straight they did. I put GWS at two. But the thing is WS like they have to play at mcg which is an interesting the pretty good travel team, I will say, But like I think they're Yeah, they've they've lost a few times in finals, you know, and like you kind of you look at like Geelong Geelong. I almost put like Geelong kind of even with them because they kind of got the experience of being able to play on the big stage and in finals. So I think those are kind of like the teams I'm looking up there, probably the top four there and yeah maybe that order maybe if you shifted around, But I think those are the ones you're looking at going Port Adelaide too. I got adelet's port out, let's go to be in there.
Speaker 2: What about Hawthorn.
Speaker 1: They look Hawthorns the most probably momentum team right now you can say that comfortably, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well they're beating good teams by big margins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you'll you'll be interested to find out if there's a certain point where their youth becomes a little bit detrimental. And you wonder if a team like Geelong plays them in the finals or something like that, and you go, Okay, Gelong's been here before. I understands the experience, understands what to expect and uses that to the advantage. I think hawkball's just wild at the moment, Like it's not the score of Carlton. Over the weekend, like I was, I kind of went to go see a friend on Saturday for lunch with one of my mates and he he's like sitting there. I got to his place and I was riding my bike. I totally messed it up and I had to ride my bike through the MCG and it was literally probably fifteen twenty minutes before the game started. So you can imagine me in about fifty to sixty thousand, like Carlton fans going there, and I'm just sitting there swerving in and out of these Carlton fans and making double looks. Gone like shit, they're gone. If you might go back to America, yeh, brick like it was just the worst route I probably could have taken. Yeah, and I stuck to it. I fought the fought the season Carlton fans. I got to my destination. But yeah, it's Jesus an interesting one. It is one of the craziest seasons. I honestly have no idea how it's going to finish, which makes it I think great for the AFL. Probably not great for their bank account, but great for the AFL in that sense to have. You know, I think I was looking at the top eight and there's quite a few other kind of teams that are outside of Melbourne that they probably want to try to promote, Like you look at Sydney Port, Adelaide, j w as these that they've camp has been, you know, teams they want to kind of show that their expansion through the rest of the country is successful.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a wild result because like if you look at the combinations as it stands as the top eight stands right now, which is probably not how it's going to finish. There's some shocking combos in there for attendance for like a prelim or a Grand Final. Like yeah, I don't know, I don't know if they're happy or upset they get to grow the game outside of Victoria because there's not a lot of like great Victorian representation in there, but something like a Sydney GWS Granny they would probably be happy with to grow it up there. I can't imagine like a Port GWS or like a Port Hawthorne or something would be doing good numbers.
Speaker 1: But I will see how so man time will tell, We'll.
Speaker 2: See how it goes. This weekend was the weekend of the comeback and we've been seeing it a lot, but a lot of teams coming from behind. We saw Brisbane get run over by GWS they were up by five goals. Obviously the Collingwood game. There was a lot of these comeback wins by massive margins, big five six goal margins over the past few weeks. Why are we seeing more and more of this in the game.
Speaker 1: I think probably since the six six to six change. You can kind of see it because it's a lot of it's like center balance momentum, Like if you can gain territory from center bounce very quickly and you kind of get on top of that area for a chunk of time, it just allows you to gain territories so quickly. And then because it's even numbers, you kind of have that that chance of being able to score pretty quickly. So like back in the day, you used to just flood ten people in the back lines, like well, good luck. It's almost impossible to try to get a decent kick of the ball with you that many people around you. But now I feel like if you score one and then you get out of the center butts again, you can get like two, three pretty quickly, and it just kind of gives you the opportunity where back in the day it was like you just kind of flood people behind and the more the game is like stopped and stuff, the more people they kind of put behind the ball, and the harder it is to actually score. So I think once you kind of have that stop age, you go six x' six, and it's like if you don't score bang right after that, then might slow down the pace a bit. But these teams are going like bang score, bang score, bank score. It's because they're getting out of the center balance and getting into the forward line with I guess a better chance of scoring with less defenders there than whenever a team you know, is trying to flood back flood back numbers. So I think that's the reason why. Obviously over the weekend we kind of felt that and weren't able to get over the line. But it lasts from exciting football, I think, which is a good thing but frustrating for me at the moment.
Speaker 2: And I think Sydney are one of the best at it. They got so many dynamic midfielders that are just brute force and pace. Well we talk about like Warner and Heeny and these guys who had massive last quarters for Sydney. Yeah, and it feels like a lot of the stars like Zach Butters and Horny Frank, like some of those port players like they stick in my mind. A lot of these players straight from the rock tap, coming straight out of the front of stoppage and can just like pump it in. It's yeah. That and I feel like the stand rule has just put so much speed on the game. So you've got to be able to run out games teams, can you know. I thought Collingwood on the weekend really busted us early to put on that pressure, and as the game went on, I was like, like, I hope they can maintain it throughout the whole game.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you are just absolutely gassed or what, but it like we just see it more and more and more if you're under the pump later.
Speaker 1: In games, like there's just to turn the momentum now, yeah, it really is. The best you can do is mostly is just stim it and then try to change it in your direction. But it's not like I don't feel like your team scores four and then it's like the other team scores four again against right up after them, right Like it's kind of for maybe one or two and then one, then one or two. It's not like four goals, four goals, five goals, five goals. It's yeah too, you're kicking a bunch and the other team's not kicking macho, you're somewhat even pale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And yeah, that's why if Carlton could somehow make finals. Now, if they rally and win these last two, make it back in there. As we saw last year. It just they can be out of it and then their fans, the cheer, the roar of the Carlton fans can just bring them straight back into it. We saw it with Collingwood moving on though, because there's a lot of old dogs getting around the competition playing some really good footy at the moment. And we see games increasing overall, big numbers, a lot of two hundred and fifty game celebration, Pendal's four hundred game celebration. Is the age of players on average just going to keep increasing over time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's I don't think just in the AFL, I think in support in general. Yeah, I mean, I think you look at the availability of kind of a and the knowledge that we're getting around bodies and how to kind of you know, have supplements to help you kind of you know, with your aches and pains and things like that. Like there's so much I think, like medically we've been able to further ourselves. There's a society and anything else to be able to help people, you know, live longer. I think, like just a general, like the life expectancy of people is actually longer and longer and longer every year ago, So I think it's kind of similar and probably aligns with you know, people's athletic you know, journeys and how long that lasts. So yeah, I think it would be pretty normal to be seeing people, you know, playing three hundred games in a career. A lot of it comes down to a little like quite a bit of luck and like injuries that are long term, like some people have like an ACL or you know, other people just have. Yeah, there's there's some that you know, like just don't get injured, and there's some people that just can't not get injured. Right. I think of like so many people that I've known throughout my career. It's like you hear about all the great stories, right, you hear about all the people that play the Moliple games, and you know, all the milestones and stuff. But every one of those, there's probably twenty people that just like never got a good run at it and just kept getting injuries at the wrong time or whatever it was, or maybe wasn't under the coaching staff or whatever it may be. And for every one successful one, there's probably twenty that just don't really pay out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the professionalism of the kids coming through now is like next level because you think of back when Pendles first started in the game, kids coming through weren't prepared for it at all. I remember Tim Burman, form a teammate of yours, when they would take the draftees to the supermarket to grab They said, you go out there and grab what you think is a good, responsible, nutritious meal and then we'll course correct. And he came back with like a full trolley full of like fiery Cheetos and sufdern And it's like howiry cheetahs that bar off And it's just like, yeah, I feel like kids now are coming in so well, I reckon there'll be a bit of a lag period from like Pendle's time, and then as as these kids come in and they're just you know, rare and to go, the same players hit the scene like and playing great Foot in year one and two, like.
Speaker 1: There's not there's there's less people that can just get away with, you know, doing the minimum like it is is getting to that point where if you're not fully like committed to it, you're just gonna get spat out of the system. Whereas like back in the day, I feel like if you're just that good of a talent you can just kind of get by with it probably yeah, but nowadays with you know, well you said, like everyone that's able to kind of get these one percents from you know, different things that now are able to have knowledge of They're able to extend their you know, their lifetime in the league and you know, maybe be able to jump over the guys that are just naturally gifted.
Speaker 2: Talking about kids, I want to speak about taunting and show voting in the AFL. I for one love it. It's not only the kids. We see a lot of Sam Draper did the hand in the Talker's man, the Turkish Man. There was I think there was like three of them over the course of the weekend. Even Pendals, old dog Pendals is doing a little taunts and.
Speaker 1: High school team coaching I think or whatever.
Speaker 2: But it's like more and more is coming into the AFL. It's it's it's crazy, but it's awesome that the kids feel comfortable to do it, like from game one, like to see him out there, like just bringing excitement to the game. Do you reckon? Do you reckon? The taunting and the showboating post goal and all that stuff. We'll only see more and more of it as as we go along. It seems very American culture driven.
Speaker 1: I love it. I definitely do. I think the AFL probably you know, enjoys it, but the top dogs of the AFL probably don't. I think there's like like, at the end of the day, we are entertainers. We got there to entertain people, and like that is part of entertainment. Is like doing things that are different outside of just the normal like kicking a go walk back to center bouts, right, Like, I just think there's so much more and there's so much passion with the players and involved, and it just adds to the game, like it adds to it. Like I think a lot of people look at Guinea right and they go, oh, well, you know, I know who Jack Inovan is, And I'm like, do you know them because of the way it plays, are because of the aura that is Jack in it. And I think people probably don't really realize that, like they follow him because of the aura that he is. And I'm all formal. I think it's like it just adds to the whole experience. And yeah, you get taunted every single game over the fence and it's like, why can't you give it back? Like I just don't as long as it's within like societal yeah, okayness whenever it comes to these things, right, there's obviously things you can't say and do, but there's so much that goes on beyond the fence, and you're sitting there and you're supposed to just cop it and just sit there in your box and not do anything. It's like, no, I can give it back to him, like they're gonna be assholes, like screw it stuff, give it back to it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it really speaks to the kids watching the game. They love it, they know it, they learn it from school, they have access to social media where they see it every day. So I feel like it'll it'll be a chance to grow the game. You speak about Jack Ginevan and knowing him outside of footy, there's people that wouldn't watch footy and would know Jack Ginevan. There's people that are outside footy and would know Bailey Smith like that. It's a great way to make the AFL superstars even bigger and like broader than just the game of AFL.
Speaker 1: So I think, like Durzma from likes like bonn Era, Yeah, like there's not detrimental to anyone. There's nothing to doing else, but you know who celebration that is, Yeah, and that's cool. It's cool to have something that's like purely specific to you, Like I think people do the USA chance. It's like that's very specific to myself. And like someone that goes to a game is going to go, oh, like he must have kicked the goal because they're chanting that, or like that must have been Dursmo because he did there like bown Era, right, Like it's kind of cool to have like individual uniqueness about each player that's playing out there, and hopefully the AFL continues to encourage it.
Speaker 2: Now, speaking about the AFL, we did talk about Malais last week, and we weren't big on the promotion of them after the fact because the fine system is brought in to d incentivized players from getting into malas. Now, there was another big one on the weekend, A great one, A juicy one, juicy one. I know it was juicy because it was up there on the AFL website, so I watched it because I missed it in the game, so I got to watch it on the website and then I just went around Molven just shaking people and jumper punching them.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't do that. I haven't taken it off into everyday life. But you come from a lot of big fins dished out, So forty two and a half thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: In fines, forty two and a half thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That'll come down to a nice small, neat little number twenty seven thousand, five hundred dollars if they all played guilty. So obviously another big kickback. But we did ask where the money goes, because you know, we assume it goes straight to the Christmas party. To have my doubts, but there was an article written a couple of weeks ago on the AFL website that did say that all fines donations to the AFL, and they're given to concussion research on behalf of the players. So to look after yourself, you're doing your own concussion research by donating money back into concussion research off the fine.
Speaker 1: I would love to know how much they're donating the concussion research.
Speaker 2: Last year it was over two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Now, according to this we're donating forty two and a half thousand dollars in one round that might just be us covering their bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wonder how much they need. It's one of those like when you're like, order, who's.
Speaker 1: More invested technically? If you're taking fines from us and putting in towards it, who's more invested in concussions?
Speaker 2: Go, I watch your budget for this, and it's like, oh, we've got two hundred thousand. Oh yeah, it's going to cost two hundred thousand. That's one of those jobs. But just for those people wondering where the money does go, it actually.
Speaker 1: Actually goes a good thing. It goes, so I appreciate, right, which is good. Yeah, we don't get to choose the spot, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good. It's good. Anyway, we move on to the we move on to the big winners, and I don't there's a couple of big winners this week. I don't know if there was a bigger one than Hawthorne. They moved into the eighth after being on quite a win streak. Obviously, they went zero to five or whatever at the start of the season, so they're on the back foot. Gave everyone in the competition a head start. Now they're in the eight after knocking Carlton out by beating them by eighty odd points, absolutely annihilated them both on the scoreboard, and you know they're playing list Carldon came out of that with a hell of a lot of injuries. I want to know, do you think that they're the scariest team outside the top four at the moment.
Speaker 1: I think they're the scariest team that teams might look past.
Speaker 2: Like if you were in the top four, you lose your first final, you have to go into the second semi or whatever the hell it's called noway yea, and you had the verse hawthor.
Speaker 1: On, you be gone. I hope that they don't get on top of us early. They're oh my gosh, hell yeah, they're scary. Like if you're sitting there at this team that's just lost a bit of confidence and momentum from you know, losing you know, a top four match, like, yeah, you'd be a bit nervous going into that game because they are the team that's inform, Like they're the ones that have this momentum going and there's anything as possible and they have the utmost confidence right now. Yeah, and it's it's great to see, Like I'd love to say it's entertaining as hell. Yeah if you yeah, if you're lining up against them, like you're going into that team meeting as a coach, going do not take these guys for granted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's going to be very interesting because obviously we don't know. They're obviously a young ass team, a lot of inexperience, so we don't know how they will perform on the final stage. At this point in time, they've answered most of the questions asked of them.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, ya over the weekend. That was the BIGGES statement. I think they've had all you Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's going to be interesting to see if they you know, if they shine under the bright lights of finals or not. But you know they're going to make it first. But they're in a pretty good position as it stands GWS. Another big winner from the weekend went to Brisbane and beat Brisbane who was on a nine game winning streak. They came from behind again. Giants have done that a couple of times now to end the streak at nine.
Speaker 1: Pretty impressive. Are they like away game? Like I said, jerrys actually plays really well away.
Speaker 2: And they flag favorites for me at the moment you said you've got Brisbane as your number one seed. I'd have to challenge that with GWS. They won. They just beat them at the Gabba to knock off their nine game win streak. Brisbane they're still like shaky a little bit in their back half and then GWS fourd half Jesse Hogan, you could do anything. Toby Grant's coming in to form the Cadman. They said, the cad boy turned into the Cadman over the weekend. It was. It was a very impressive win and ended up doing it semi comfortably, like they were behind by a few. They kicked what was it, how many goals in the last quarter. It was one goal, two or something to six goals or four goals or something late in the last. So yeah, they ended up running over Brisbane late in the last I feel like I've got them as flag favorites. They've had enough.
Speaker 1: Halfway through the year. You were about to jump off the band.
Speaker 2: Which you were so almost isn't jumping off? I gave them a rocket. And what you should be this is you. This is the journalist in you, This is the AFL media journalist in you. What the article headline should stay is loyal Cox sticks with gs Grady Sydney Western. Anyway, my boys, the Greater Western Sydney Giants, the big, big sound I reckon they're the scariest team in the camp right now and if they can do it at the Gabber against Brisbane, I feel like they can do it against anyone anywhere, anytime.
Speaker 1: They're going to be a force, that's for sure. Over the next month they're going to be an absolute force. The biggest thing is just staying healthy going into it so they can just continue to do that. Am I putting the chinks out there?
Speaker 2: No of the headline because we moved straight into Geelong and it's very Collingwood esque. Ah, Geelong too old, too slow? Are they going to do damage in finals? Because at the moment they're in decent form yep. But if you're watching the games, you're looking at Jeremy Cameron just absolutely dragging them across the line, and you're looking at Dangerfield doing it from the midfield and sneaking forward, kicking some clutch goals. Old dogs now we know geting them along. We know Danger has some injury concerns and he's kind of hopefully he's gotten over that he could take his time this year and get his get himself back well. Jeremy Cameron start the year pretty good, then had a slow patch, but he's well and truly back into form at the moment. So I feel like it's closely tied to those two senior players.
Speaker 1: You could say so, yeah, but do you reckon they can go all the way? Yes? I think their biggest kind of advantage between them and the rest of the competition is their experience, obviously, and I think when it comes to those big games, big game moments, being able to handle the pressure of a close game in a winner go home would definitely put them in good I mean like that that's you know, if Jazz goes down like yeah, I mean call it like you're done, I don't know how they're going to be able to recover from that. So it's kind of one of those things where it is. I mean, they're obviously a very good team at the top eight right now and in playing well, but they're one step for injury away from like the whole thing being shaken up. So as long as they stay healthy, their chance to yeah, their chances anyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about Tom Hawkins interesting situation they've got, he's fighting for fitness, he's back at training now. We know it's his last year, but he's not calling it immediately like Dusty. So there's a few things to go into this. If he's not one hundred percent, say he's eighty percent. Firstly, do you play him in that last game in Geelong against West Coast for a potential sendoff game?
Speaker 1: M No, No, I've wait till finals.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're waiting till finals, but.
Speaker 1: Then you had the sendoff thing, yeah, because you won't play it. You might not play another home game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting, Yeah, and he might get up for finals. Do you bring him back for finals? What percentage does he have to be out for you to bring him back for finals? Hawkins at eighty percent? Is Hawkins at ninety percent good enough to get back into the team for finals?
Speaker 1: I think seventy five? Honest with you, I mean, like, he's not a guy that's, you know, doing what Jess is doing, going all the way up the ground and coming all the way back. Like he's a person that like if he isn't one hundred percent, you can still put him as the deepest man. Just tell him to like body up whoever it is, and he can be dangerous in that sense, right, So I think you look at like seventy five percent, you'd be like, yeah, like you at seventy or five percent, or he'll probably give us enough for us to find it worthwhile to play you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would be a scary opponent. They've got some young forwards up there. But if you're going into a final and you're standing next to big Tom Hawkins, big hulking.
Speaker 1: Dude, he's got to bring the biggest defender. Yeah, so then I allow someone else maybe open up Like it's he causes an issue because he is so large like and how he can be able to manipulate his body to be able to kind of get to the drop of the ball and push people off it. So yeah, I lookly like seventy five percent. You're playing him, and then it.
Speaker 2: Comes to matchups because if you can see weakness, if he can't run and you can run and spread off him, that's just another thing that you've got to take into consideration. It's going to be an interesting final series. We talk about Port Adelaide now they are going so low under the radar. No one's talking about Port Ken Hinkley's over there, just getting it done. They were very loud when Port were shit. They all the media. Everyone loves to call for people's heads. But as soon as they're good, and they are absolutely cherry ripe and flying at the moment. They just came over here and they beat Melbourne. I know Melbourne's a bit banged up and low, but this was Melbourne season on the line and they got the job done. So they are prime for a good run at it. They got the valuable win at the MCG because not a lot of these interstate teams get games at the MCG full stop. Let alone come over here and win one. But they just seem to have the players that have the urgency to win these games, to stand up. You got Butters, you got Horny Frank, You've got a bunch in there, Rosie and whoever there's The board. Line's pretty stacked. Yeah, so they bolstered their defense as well. They got Alira Lear back there a while back. Now, they got Zurch thatcher, so they're pretty much set around the ground and they've got a fair bit of experience. They're not a young team. They're more of a middle team based with the other teams that are running around out there. So I feel like Kenny Hinckley's got these boys up and firing at the perfect time to have him cherry right going into fun.
Speaker 1: And we love it. Weally love Ken Hinkley. It's just like there's something about it because it's just I think I love it even more because Port fans are just so fricking ruthless, like just absolutely assholes to their team, Like if they lose, they're one of the worst supporter base as far as like supporting through thick and thin. I feel like and the fact that they're going, Wow, it's just kind of like this whole thing of everyone was like on the back, like, man, we got fire, can we gotta do this? We gotta redo the whole place, you know, we got what's his name, KOCHI left, you know, and we're like, oh, it's a new we gotta do a new generation and shit whatever it is. And now they're winning and they're like, oh, well, maybe I was wrong, Maybe just maybe they jumped again a little bit too.
Speaker 2: And I feel like you look at Port fans and they're frustrated, they don't have anything to be shitty.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're mad that they don't have something to be mad about. And I'm like, mate, you live an Adelaide Gee, sorry, sorry Adelaid people. It's a lovely place, just beautiful places.
Speaker 2: Still the big winners, so you've got to be grinning at the moment. We talk about the big losers because there's none bigger loser this weekend than the obvious and we talked about them last week because they haven't played a final, they haven't won a final. And you know, half over half my life, there's been players that are running out there that have never seen them win a final. We talk about it every week. But Essendon they find a new way to disappoint their fan base every single week. And this one was an absolute pearlo because if you had to script it beforehand, you couldn't have written this because they go into the last quarter they're doing well. They kick one goal nine, they have ten shots at goal. They probably had more, they probably kicked more out in the full but they kicked one nine. We had Stringer kicked three points in the last quarter. Oh my goodness. They were looking so good before that and all the Gold Coast had to do was kicked two goals in the last quarter and one They couldn't even keep it in between the sirens. They had to kick one after the siren to get the job done. Big Mac Andrew goes back, takes a Mark goes back. The best part about it is it looks like it's missing early. People in the top tier go up celebrating and then it bends straight back in. It gives them the shush running into the pocket and I just I don't even know. We talked about it last week that they are normally just devoid of old joy and anything going into these games. I don't even think any of them were surprised it happened. It cut to the crowd and they were like, oh, yeah, yeah, that's pretty standard. Then they're like packing up their bags and stuff and on their way home.
Speaker 1: It's so sad. You have to feel for us, and in fans you have to feel for them, like it's so it would be so frustrating. So frush are you get into the last quarter and have that that score of one nine to two zero and you're thinking, like it's the hope. I think it's the hope that gets you run. It's the oh man, like this is our year. Every time, every start of the year, this is our year and they've got this just unbiased, just like go go for it, hope, and then you just see it just get cut down and cut down and cut down until you get to this time of year and they've just lost all self respect. They're throwing their scarf out on the on the field. It's they're burning their memberships. And then the funny thing that it always gets me next year, it's back, baby, It's back to yourself. Do you know to blame but yourself?
Speaker 2: How do you get that membership pack in the mail? You pull out that nice crisp sticker that's gonna say Essendon Season twenty twenty five. How do you appeel the back off that bad boy and stick it to the back of your car and then drive around with that thing on all year knowing it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be big off the stickers if the team goes bad. I don't know, people just go, oh, maybe I don't want to promote that I'm a member.
Speaker 2: This year I saw someone rolling around with twenty Essendon stickers on the back of their car.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: They've got a very durable car, car's gone a lot of years, that's done a lot.
Speaker 1: Of clicks too.
Speaker 2: That is a very resilient person driving that thing. So I don't know, I feel bad for you guys. There was an extra one. Draper was kicking them from everywhere. He ran from a stoppage, took a bounce, kicked one from fifty, great celebration, another one just after, kicked a set shot, did the Turkish Man gun celebration. Then went on to miss two absolute sodas in the last quarter. Just all these things that add up the last one, we can't not talk about it. Gresham pushed his opponent in the back, ball fell to him. He didn't hear the whistle. He runs right into the goals, kicks it through the goal, celebrates his high five and all the blokes in the crowd and they call it back push in the back? What are you doing? Lucky not to get a fifty pen didn't matter in the end, because big Mac Andrew goes down the other end.
Speaker 1: Kicks It's Mac Andrew. He's a legend. He's a great story. Incredible stories to go from patal story, Yeah, back to Ford. I remember playing on it. He's an athletic freak. He can jump out of the ship. I'm that man, And yeah, it was it was great to see him own that moment and be able to make the most of it. And once again, Sorryident.
Speaker 2: Now that we've got that out of the way, let's speed run a couple of these other losers free. Oh, the ultimate bag fumblers this year, they could have been second probably around three times, at least two, and they gone on to lose. They lost to Essen and then they go Geelong at home lose to them. Now they make it very high themselves to even make finals, which is crazy to think. They have to beat GWS next week in Sydney, which is no easy feat, and then they have to beat Port in Perth last round that could be to make finals.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 2: That's not a situation you want to be putting yourself in. So not only did they fumble the bag and screw up a home finals chance and a double chance at finals, they've really cost themselves and could be losing their spot inside the eight. Brisbane. You know, it's pretty hard to give them the big losers, but I'm going to give it to them just because the slide. They went from second to fifth, so they dropped out of the top four and they kicked one goal four to six goals in the last to get overrun. Lost by three goals. So that's a real unfortunate one for Brisbane. But they still are. They're up there. They're a strong team. West In Bulldogs. Not a crazy loss, but just costly for their ladder position. Could have done great things, could have jumped up the team.
Speaker 1: I feel like a lot of people have said they're an easy win, but I was looking at all the games of stuff, most of them are like within ten points. Yeah, it is actually like they're not a walkover team that people think they are.
Speaker 2: And I feel like they're so close to getting it to click right. I thought this season was going to be better, a bit inconsistent, but it's just another season under their belt. They still got really young players outside of text Walker, who's one hundred and fifty years old but still doing good things. But yeah, the fog. I saw the fog play on the weekend and I there's some good There's some good things. Is like cracking the first tin on like a sunny Sunday afternoon, one of the great things out there.
Speaker 1: Mowing the lawn, nailing a parallel park.
Speaker 2: Just all of those things, and then above all of those watching the fog kick a set shot goal. He's just crispy flewid action, doesn't even look like he kicks it hard and it goes sixty meters. It's just a delicious thing to just watch from afar and admire. I couldn't kick over a jamped in. I saw some of your kicks on the weekend. Jeez, jamped In. I don't know. You couldn't kick over an a four piece of paper. Let's jump straight into this because instead of just calling him a big loser, we'll go straight into the Collingwood segment because it was rough for everyone. It's rough for everyone. I want to just off the top. Let's go into therapy.
Speaker 1: Let's go to therapy. What happened, ah man? We played well for three quarters and then Sydney came home hat and Isaac Keeney just decided to be everywhere everywhere legitimately, I don't know how. I don't know he multiplied, had a few twins out there or something or what. But every time I looked up, somehow the balls sitting there right next to him just getting into his hands.
Speaker 2: So and like in the midfield and then like he's in the goal square. It's like that's not possible. That's tealiportation.
Speaker 1: Oh he's doing this. It was crazy. He's the incredible player. Him and Chad Warner obviously played really well over the weekend. And yeah, we just we struggled to be able to hold the lead in the fourth quarter and they came home very very strong. And yeah, rough. I I want to say so much, so much, Braiden, But you know how this works.
Speaker 2: It's sometimes it's good to just suppress.
Speaker 1: Something collar on from the AFL.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's good to just suppress some things. So we'll keep going through our list of things and I might draw.
Speaker 1: Some out of you.
Speaker 2: I want to start with the positive because you did kick a goal. And then you know, one of the more unfortunate celebrations to give a crowd when you end up losing the game is the shush.
Speaker 1: It's gone pretty well at that point.
Speaker 2: Ah, but yeah, what was the shush about? Were you getting stick from the crowd? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean Sydney's an interesting place, right the MCG, like behind the bench stuff is all oh, you know, the MCG. It's all it's all media and stuff. You don't get too many hecklers. But like at the SEG it is literally as soon as you sit up out of the like off the bench, it's like people huckleing yeah, and you're sitting there like okay, mate, come on, like we're in Sydney, bro ge back. So yeah, there's just people talking trash up there, and they do have a this a hostile crowd. I think like there's been a bit of Oh there's been some really big games I think between us and Sydney. Obviously the prelium up there and stuff like that. So injured jack in Yeah, I mean there's some stuff that Sydney's done. I don't think they. I mean, last I heard there's like dating meetups and stuff going on in these games, like I don't know, whatever, you know, to get fans there, I'm off for it. But the next Sydney game, yeah, I know we need to we should actually join that. There's a lot going on up there. But yeah, you couple a little bit over the over the boundary, I guess in Sydney. So you know, like I said, if someone's willing to give it to me, I'm happy to give it back to them.
Speaker 2: I like that, Like I like it. I'll break it down just a real like quick let's look at this in a nutshell. The things I like, I like player taunting. I also like the ability to give it back to a player within reason. And then I like the player not only taunting like other players and stuff like that. I like them being able to taunt the crowd. We've seen a couple of good ones. As long as no one oversteps a line. I like it all. So say like, you shush the crowd and then and then you kick that other one that you did kick that was a shocker. If they're shushing you back, I think that's great banter. That's great banter both sides.
Speaker 1: It's usually the USA champ back screw something out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stuff like that. I like that. It can obviously cross a line, but before I like it. For the most part. Across the board, there's a lot of people that I feel like, you know, eighty percent of people are probably on board with the let's not go wild stuff, and then there's another twenty percent that think they're joining in but taking it way too far way.
Speaker 1: We just need to be reeled back in, just reel it back in.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I do, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I wish we still could be able to tunt on the mark. Oh man, that was That was one of the coolest things about AFL And my first side I was like, people are doing handstands and like pulling their shirt up and like throwing grass at the person. I was like, this is fine, this is great entertainment.
Speaker 2: The fake grass toss. How is that pulled out?
Speaker 1: It was real? It was real grass.
Speaker 2: Like the guys will take out their mouthguard and pretend to throw their mouthguard, Like, who's that hurting? Bring that back? All those ones are fine, you think, I think that's what's he gonna I thought he was going to throw a mouthguard at me a lot, like a little piece of rubber. Mate. You get like hip and shouldered to the dome and you come anyway anyway. I like the thought of bringing it back. I do want to stop on it a tiny bit because you did it.
Speaker 1: We got to.
Speaker 2: Clarify this, and anyone we clarify. We know our We know our podcast audience is the more sophisticated all of course, like our audience. We know it, and we discussed it last week. But there's still some idiots out there. You jumping up and down on the mark. You did it again on the weekend. And I think that was saying it on the commentary. I'm pretty sure I'm not calling BT an idiot. We love BT, but he was saying, Oh, you can't jump up and down. We got told that it's to stand. You got to stand. The whole commentary Box was about standing.
Speaker 1: It's just as clear on rules as we are exactly.
Speaker 2: So that's what this is. Why there's more confusion. So you can jump up and down on the spot.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can jump down on the spot. Can't go forward, can't go back, can't move side to side, what's up and down? You can't go anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Late, you did kind of jump off to the side, but we'll ignore that because the umpire somehow didn't see it. So I think maybe that's it's a big call. Anyway, as soon.
Speaker 1: As he kicks it, you can kind of like, as long as the ball hits I mean, as soon as the ball hits its foot as play on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if he comes off his line you can't and Gray Arias, we love Gray Arias. Anyway, let's jump into it. Because you did play against one of your good mates, Brody Grundy, there's a fair bit of by play. It was a pretty even contest across the board. I'm not going to say who won, and last we don't need together. Yeah, but there was a moment where you took a mark in front of Brody Grundy, which is pretty wild. One grabber too big, one grab pluck, and it cut to Brody and Brody had a big smile on his face, And when you were going on back on the mark, you had a big smile on your face. And I want to know what the bye play of all of that was.
Speaker 1: It's like it's playing a professional sport against one of your like really good friends. It's weird to think that, like you've played together for like eight years and nine years whatever it was, and then now you're like it's supposed to like hate each other. It's like look man like, and you know, you want each person wants the other one to be successful. Obviously whenever you're playing them like the total opposite of what you want because you're obviously like their direct matchup. So I think it was just kind of funny because like, as rockman, there's a bit of a rockman club. You know, you have a bit of a chatter out on the field because you're kind of running next to each other for most of the game, and there's a bit of respect towards each other. You could say, right, that's a big man, and you know, Brodie, you kind of have a little chat yeah around just say how you going, what's up? This is a bit weird experience, you know, and yeah, like you just you talk a bit of trash to each other and yeah, someone does something good, it's something the end of the world. You know, you're just gonna have a bit of a laugh about it. And yeah, you can win every single contest, so you know, you you say, well done, I can go out to whatever it is and get fucked the time. Yeah, it's quite funny. I think. I foind it was like a unique experience and one that I really enjoy because you want to play against some of the best people and Brodie's like one of the best rockmen in the camp. Yeah, but I think there's just like a real kind of respect between the people at the same time and in a real enjoyment playing each other. Knowing like you've trained against each other for eight years, so you know each one of them's like little habits and little things that they do, and you know, you probably have a bit more of an understanding of every kind of thing they're going to do on a game day rather than someone who's just looking at film. Yeah, and you understand their mental headspace and like what gets them off and like that sounded really gross, what throws them off and things like that, you know. So it's kind of like this whole kind of game against each other and it's it's quite fun just to screw with each other around it. And that's yeah. Over the weekend, it was. It was quite funny.
Speaker 2: I thought he was surprised that you took a one grab mark on him. He probably was, but he did go back and I had complete and art of confidence in your kicking ability. The little graphic popped up on the screen said five to four from set shots. I was like, that's not as good as it once was. And then you went back and I don't know what you did here because it went not high, not far, and skewed heavily right. But it was a very nice assist in the air.
Speaker 1: It didn't count for a color behind Brenden, so fire for still standing when.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, pop it to the top of the square when you're like five meters out from the top of the square, it's.
Speaker 1: A bit different. Yeah, it was. It was one of the SEG's a very wide ground, and I think I pulled off the mic and I like kind of looked up and realized they could barely see a sliver of space between the two big posts. So I was kind of like, it should probably be snapping this, but there was not enough like time to be able to go back and then set up a snap, so you just had to commit to the process. And yeah, I didn't go so well, I mean luckily when we scored off it. So who's to say that wasn't what I was meaning to do, except it was my intention for us to get six points out of that play.
Speaker 2: And we did Brandon set play every week, set play, watch out for it next week because it'll come back again. We may as well just keep riffing on you because there was a moment where you gave away a ruck free kick. Now, whether it was there or not, that's that's already decided, and it's in the book.
Speaker 1: You lost your shit.
Speaker 2: You were like, you can't be you're bending over in half or whatever, and then it cuts to the wide shot and you're just staring bullets through the.
Speaker 1: Umpire explain what's going on. I feel like.
Speaker 2: That's probably a better move is to just shut your mouth and just stare as hard as you can at him because you can't really get in trouble for steering right. And then anyway it goes hope, not anyway, it goes further down the field and you thought you gave away another free kick?
Speaker 1: True, yes, Well Brodie like goes back to like get the balls if he was like coming off the mark and I was like, I have just give up. I have no idea. I have no, absolutely no idea how that could have been a free kick. And then he's like, hey, you could get the ball, and I was like, good, chat was enjoying the footy. The first one I was living on and then to call it and I was like, what happened? He's just like not free kicking. I'm like, no, explain what happened because I have no idea what I did. And then you kind of get used to get explanation from the umpire later on whatever maybe, but then yeah, and then the second one, I was just like it was within like a minute of each other, and I was just already on edge. I was mate, oh boy, you were just wow.
Speaker 2: You were just reving up to really give both barrels. There was a fifty meter penalty just on the precipice, just on the horizon, and then it was peeny, it's yours, and you're just.
Speaker 1: Oh, yep, okay, good chat, good call.
Speaker 2: He was held for sure. Oh my god. So then we move on from there. Now this one, I'm sure you would have copt no criticism over this incident at all. Late in the game Rock Contest, you didn't have an opponent in the rock deep inside your forward line game in the balance, you had an opportunity to either take the ball out of the ruck or tap it, set plays to teammates running whatever routes, and you decided to go to the tap. Yeah, what went through your head in that moment?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it ever says no no Rock Sydney or wherever it was, that does go through mind like, oh, like, kind of how much space do I have around me? Can I kind of pull this out and be able to kick, you know, be able to get good contact on a ball and get in the direction that is between the two big ones. It's very hard to do because usually you maybe have half a second before like once they realized that there's no one there, usually defenders probably bang right on you pretty quickly and you get tackled. So the mind kind of they did cross my mind as soon as you said it, But I think you kind of like, we're pretty good Ford fifty stoppage team, so you kind of, you know, back that in. And to be honest with you, you got, you know, people like Nick Decoss run around. It's pretty tough not to be giving them a you know, a head out. So yeah, you're back in. Yeah, there's that play that you have running and they had they had to behind the ball. I think it was Nick bake Lye. Honestly, they took it out and kicked it out and that was kind of the end of it. But yeah, you definitely think about it as a rock. If it was a different time of the game, in a different score, you'd probably be more willing to do it. But I think in such a close game, given the percentages of it actually being successful and not being so high, you probably don't err on doing it. If you're like first quarter, you're up by fifteen, maybe twenty points, you would might think about doing it right or maybe take it out of the rock and like have someone come to tackle you, handball to his man and then you try to get a goal out of it. But in that moment, I don't think it's probably the percentage play, if that makes sense, and the highest percentage play is probably try to kick a goal.
Speaker 2: It does cross your mind, Well, it's all hindsight stuff. If you had at tapped it and went to a teammate and you kicked the goal, you're a legend. If you had to taken it out of the rock and got tackled straight away, you're a bigger villain because look at you trying to win the game off your own boot. Very hard situation to put yourself in, because you've also got and I'm not sure in that moment that it could quickly go through your head. But like what your coach would say, what your teammates would.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, you want to play your role on the team, and that's that's my role.
Speaker 2: S I do like a lot of people have put your ability on such a pedestal that they think that the two point one meter tall block can snatch it out of the ruck and quickly get it on his boots snap it through. But did they see the search up before looking back at the replay, there was two Sydney blokes that identified really quick that you were one out in the ruck and got to you straight away.
Speaker 1: So obvious Sidney, no rock.
Speaker 2: Sydney shut down quick. But it was just one to bring up. Now. Your coach did speak on this post game, got a nice little warning from the NFL to say, hey, stop showing personality out there and telling us what you think. Was it a fifty meter penalty in the Dan mixtaye, Tom McCartin kind of mark in the middle of the ground.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Braden? I'm going to ask you.
Speaker 2: I will give you my opinion on it, because I'm probably the only one again and for mine, I get that the North Melbourne one earlier in the year that people are you know, tying it to I feel like that was probably a fifty as well, so I don't see how that's any different. But going into this one, I feel like McCartin wasn't in the market, it wasn't a marketing contest, so he was kind of their second. Dan took the mark. There is a bit of leeway for momentum, but I feel like he went beyond that momentum point. There was about three or four steps. There was a point where you could see that he could have pulled up, and he didn't. And then he went another three or four steps and then Dan turned around pointed, and then that's where I feel like that's the fifty. Then beyond that, umpires calling him back. He takes two steps, but Dan's already played on. I think it's like wild that, like if he had got a smother on that like that shouldn't be able to happen. Like it's he's taken a mark, he's gone like ten meters over the mark, and then gets a smother on. He gets to kick around and it doesn't really result in anything. But yeah, I think it's probably a fifty by the letter of the law. And then on top of comments around, you know, if it was at the MCG, I think you get that bias if it's in your home city, I don't think it's I don't think it's a you know, the stadium or the umpiring or anything plays a result in that. You see it a lot when it goes to like West Coast playing in Perth, they get a lot of momentum and they get the umpires across the line. There was a lot of deliberates paid. When the Sydney fans got full voice, I thought you were really hard done by because you tapped yours around your opponent and it was going so slowly to the boundary. You could have got back to it and picked it up, but you were blocked and tackled off the ball, and then when it slowly trickled across the boundary line, you got done for deliberate. Now, I think that's a bit harsh. Darcy Moore to Darcy Cameron. I thought that was a bit harsh because he's clearly trying to get it around his opponent to Darcy Cameron and it goes out of bounds. I thought those two were pretty harsh. But then I thought there was a lot. I don't know if you realized this at the time, but there was a bloody heck of a lot of deliberates. There were so many deliberates, and I think not all of them were there, but I feel like there was a lot of them there. All in all, I think it was pretty well adjudicated in terms of the match, but there was very costly ones, and there's been a lot of very costly ones this year where the AFL to that credit, not that it helps it all have come out and said, whoopsie, yeah, we cost you that game probably about five six times this year. So I don't know where I sit on that, but you know, maybe we should just get better and we will try to get better. As podcasters, they try to get better at what they do. Everyone should just improve. So that's all I'm going to say on it.
Speaker 1: All valid points, bro, That's all I'm going to valid fifth on most of that, but all valid points.
Speaker 2: We all got to get better. If you come out and say that you don't want to improve as a human, what are you doing? You need to look in the mirror and look at yourself. I do want to jump into this one. We need to get a bit of praise. Lastly, we'll say, Heni Warner, massive congratulations for how well you played in the last quarter. Very well done. Fuck me.
Speaker 1: Good on yes.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Jeremy how two hundred and fiftieth game. Absolute legend of a bloke, nicest bloke out there. Cool to see him out there with Xander running through the banner doing all the nice stuff that we like. For two fifties, I feel like a lot of two fifties. Got kind of zoned out when Pendals was doing his four hundred. But we've seen a few two fifties in recent weeks, and none more deserving than how we who obviously come across from Melbourne, moved from Ford to back, been great in defense, came back from a really really serious broken arm. We heard the story on our podcast if you haven't heard it, got infected, had to go through that whole process, didn't know if he was going to get back, has come back and played some really good footies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had him on the podcast and got the interview him, but all that kind of stuff. So if you haven't listened to it, go back and look it up. But incredible human being. One of the people I think that I've looked at probably is you know, for advice, and just the way he lives his life and like the way he interacts with people and everything else is just so positive and so loving, I think, And you look at that and you're like, man, if I can take a leaf out of his book, you know, I'll be a better human for it. So for him to get two fifty awesome, awesome accomplishment and to have his family there with his wife and kid at the game. Was just so cool to see. And yeah, he's been through a lot of you know, tough times in his career. It was all AFL players. I feel like, I kind of do that get to that, to that kind of milestone, and it's a credit to him and zilience to be able to kind of fight through that and be able to get out the other side and you know, I'll be playing such good football still. You know, like you said, he had the arm injury that was so serious, like it was insane some of that stuff he went through, and he said some other stuff that's been really you know, tough to kind of get through. And it's crazy to me because I think like if I were in the same situation and some of the same stuff happened to me, I don't know that I'd be able to kind of fight through that. And you know, his his ability to just rock up with a smile every single day still and just be the happy, go lucky eye that he is. It's just one of those things you just kind of admire and you're like, man, I wish I could. I wish I could be like that, you know, and have that every single day and be able to have such a positive attitude, And I think that's one thing that I'll forever be grateful when of her. You know, you sit there and say, like I played with that guy Jeremy, how you'd be like? Man? That was That was one of the people I really like, kind of looked up to and admired during my playing days.
Speaker 2: Absolute ripper, nicest guy. He would always, you know, go the extra mile for us when we're in the media department. Yeah, met him a few times on other podcasts outside of Footy. Had a couple of beers with him. He's just a ripping black I had twelve, he had probably a responsible one or two. And before we go into our preview, I did want to bring up one more incident from the weekend text walker, you know, massive legend of the game. Big text went off subbed bad I poke bad ipoke, So he was sitting on the back of the bench, miserable. We don't like im for getting a phone call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and hold the wrong wayting.
Speaker 2: A little brigade together the I poke all Australian list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you got Roy Sloan had a real big issue with it throughout his kind of career. So yeah, we'll see, we'll see kind of that pans out, but hey, pros up hopefully. All right, it's quite serious.
Speaker 2: We don't like I pokes at all. Let's go into the preview for the week Essen and Sydney here in Melbourne. There's no way that I can look at Esmond and get around them at all.
Speaker 1: I can't yeh, yeah, No, Sydney. I've got this feeling in the next two games to finish off the year, Sydney's going to go on a terror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they kind of have to go back to being the fight on top of the ladder. You've got to get that momentum back. Let's talk about Gold Coast Melbourne. I think Melbourne's packed her up for the year. Gold Coast still seems to be punching, still seems to be fighting. They've got a bit of excitement around the team and around the list.
Speaker 1: What you after last week beating in by one point? I think, yeah, big gold Coast, Gold Coast over Melbourne. I picked that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, GWS FREEO. This is going to be my lock because I looked at it. There's too many easy locks this week, and we don't like easy locks. We like putting the putting the balls on the line for the cuck lock.
Speaker 1: Ah we go.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go GWS to get this win against Freo. Frio is fighting for finals, so they're going to be desperate. But I just feel like GWS are going to be that good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I have to go g WS for free on Freo. Like you said, it's got an interesting little finish to the season. It's going to be unique to see kind of what happens with them. That's a big watch to have a little watch out for free. I'm going to check the stats and the scores, have a have a lookout for how they're going. Let's go to the next one we got. They got WS No. One.
Speaker 2: We've got the Showdown up next Port v Adelaide, so anything can happen in this one. Obviously Adelaide coming off a big win last week and Porte doing port things at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, port going really well. Adelaide also, like I said, taking teams to the line. Obviously got to win over the weekend against the Western Bulldogs. Big w. I think it's gonna be a lot closer gain than people probably think. I've still got Port Adelaide winning at Adelaide at Oval. I think it'd be a good game. I think the showdown might be like the game of the round as far as how close it's going to be. Yeah, I'm happy to Yeah, I'm happy to make that statement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll give it to Adelaide just because, like you really can't pick it. And I know Port needs to be Cherry Wright, but I feel like Adelaide, you know, the season's done, what can you get up for for the rest of the year. Them fully rallied for this game, and it'd be like the idea of spoiling finals for porn will motivate them more than anything, and they're an exciting team when they get up and running. When you have nothing to lose, you just attack with absolute freedom. So let's see how that goes. Saint Kilda Geelong. Now I don't see Saint Kilda doing this, but you know, I'd love to see it, but I just don't see it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to make a controversial statement here, what go to Saint Kildo win in this game. I've got this feeling, I've just got this feeling that Saint Kilda just kind of bobs up out of nowhere and just says, you know what, Gelong, you've looked past us. We're gonna we're gonna have a little We're to have a care. I'll throw that one because it's a statement. But like I think Saint Kilda will at least have a quarter, maybe the first or second quarter, which along will be a bit oh wow, we should probably turn things on now.
Speaker 2: It does make sense. You know, they built themselves up for the Perth game against Freo, went across there, got the win. You got to travel all the way back. You got to readjust your time. Not only do you have to travel, you've got to travel back to Melbourne and then travel all the way back to Geelong, which is another you know thing in itself.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to something that's different. I like that one they killed getting over Jaelong.
Speaker 2: I like that Western Bulldogs beaten North. Yeah, that's that's an easy dub log Richmond, Oh my god, West Coast Carlton.
Speaker 1: Carlton on the terms of yeah, that was like four or five, Like, so did a hamstring?
Speaker 2: I want to say something, Well, as we record this, we don't know what Harry McKay is doing. Kono is cooked with his ankle.
Speaker 1: Injured. There's two others on so they got injured too, Jack, I yeah, West Coast, Yeah, I feel the West Coast. I feel like the West Coast versus Carleton.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, that's going to be a dagger for Carlton fans if that happens. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like and players get that same momentum that some fans do. Now. I love hate watching teams almost as much as I like supporting teams. So like, I do like a Collingwood game, but I like seeing the teams I don't like perform poorly.
Speaker 1: That's literally you're every fan, but just in the reverse for Collingwood. Yeah, every fan loves lose se.
Speaker 2: So like, I love a team that's on the precipice of the eighty and if they get this win against the lowly team, they'll make the eight. But then the lowly team, the underdog, gets the job done. There's just nothing better than it. It's pure theatrics, and I want West Coast to win this game.
Speaker 1: West Coast hardly ready to take a hangar, That's what I must say.
Speaker 2: The mud flat Waterman to kick four and Oscar Alan to.
Speaker 1: Kick Fourt's jump in Erman still playing that making it in things like that.
Speaker 2: Don't Collingwood Brisbane the Grand Final rematch probably not the billing that it's you know, built up that we'd expect at the MCG. Can you spoil them? Can you spoil their run to the top four and finals?
Speaker 1: That's the plan? Is the plan stand at the MCG. It'd be a yeah, a Grand Final rematch. It's kind of interesting to kind of see how both teams have kind of panned out throughout the year after being in the Grand Final last year. But yeah, Brisbane's a quality opposition that's going really well. I know they lost last week, but like you said, I think they had won nine in a row previously, so it's going to be a challenge for us. And statistically, I think we're still a chance to make the eight. So you know, as long as that's a you know out there and availability, we're going to put one foot in front of the other and you do as much as we can try to get as many wins on the board.
Speaker 2: Love that one foot in front of the other. Good cliche. All right, that's it. That's our podcast which cock Lock I gave mine to GWe.
Speaker 1: Got gold coaster from Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just good enough.
Speaker 1: It's just good enough Mac Andrew to kick four. Yeah, I'm on the Mac Andrew train. Baby, let's go. Oh man, let them have it, let him have it. Well, that is it for the podcast. Everyone, Thank you so much for tuning in. Hopefully you're not an listinin fan. You have absolutely warm apart than this app in this episode once again, but hopefully all your teams have got up over the weekend and hopefully your teams do this weekend. But massive, massive thank you for listening in for the podcast. Hopefully you've had a a laugh throughout this and you've learned something, maybe that you didn't know before. Who knows, but I just want to say thank you so much for tuning in. France still sucks and I hope you have an incredible week ahead of you. Peace.
Speaker 2: Yeah,