Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Showtime.
Speaker 3: No, that would be too where Obi and Ferrell team?
Speaker 4: Do we all eat toasting?
Speaker 5: Hey fever season guys, it's hey vivas as suffer with.
Speaker 2: The odd Christian O'Connell Show Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 5: Hey, come on in five minutes past six Christian O'Connell Show.
Speaker 4: Choose so on he come on in Jack Morning, Christian Morning, Patsy.
Speaker 3: Ey, sorry who this morning?
Speaker 5: He's everything all right because they come in this morning and he not very well. The reason why I found this out is till my producer it's never far away from bad news, which is the first word he said to me, is he followed me into the studio and.
Speaker 6: He goes, I just start the bad news.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay, not even a morning or look at the cloth thing and it's thirteen minutes and one air hit.
Speaker 6: This is his pep talk and a girl. What is it? Phil Jackson? Here goes some Patty can't speak, so can you not speak?
Speaker 7: No, I'm fine, I feel completely fine. I just I think it was from too much yelling during remote learning yesterday.
Speaker 3: It's just a little bit faint, so you.
Speaker 6: Knowice of the kids. It's not really for us. Why are you I know this one?
Speaker 7: Oh my voice, it's spinning a million plates at once. It's trying to it's you know what, you like a hotel janitor.
Speaker 6: It is like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like you know, my wife USh to do obviously the morning shift, get the food ready before for home learning and that. And then when I get there it's lunch time. They it just come down and they go, what's for lunch? Like there should be a banquet ready? Have a look in the fridge. I said, make yourself something. You're old enough now. Then they open the fridge door.
Speaker 6: And stare at it and go, what do I even begin?
Speaker 7: That's the thing, And then it is. It's it's like non stop. And there's also this expectation that because everyone's high at lunch, that we never have a hot lunch unless we're out. But suddenly I'm expected to present a hot lunch. And it's like, no, there's bread and meat and salad for a sandwich. Why because you're home.
Speaker 8: Do you?
Speaker 6: And you know kids love a good old salmad meat sandwich.
Speaker 4: They and it's great that you're doing all that extra work pathy, but it still doesn't really explain the lost.
Speaker 3: Because I'm exhausted Jack, They're wearing.
Speaker 6: Me Jean yet at us. There's too much yetting in your life.
Speaker 3: No, I'm your fine.
Speaker 7: I've just so if I'm a bit quieter than normal, which will probably make your day boys.
Speaker 3: That that is why I'm just preserving my instrument.
Speaker 4: You've got the huskiness. That actually sounds kind of nice.
Speaker 5: Oh that sounds creepy when a guy says that to a woman. It's loaded. It's loaded with a couple of decades ago. Sam Newman got the huskiness. It sounds nice. Let's just move on and reset. That's the bad news. Everyone just want to give it you up top. Patsy's losing a voice because you've been making food.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast, So.
Speaker 6: Big news in Melbourne yesterday The Melbourne Star. No more. Who on this show has actually been on The Melbourne Star.
Speaker 7: Oh, I went in June during our survey break Pert one of the.
Speaker 5: Few people I've met since they moved it three years ago. There's ever been on it.
Speaker 7: Oh, it was great the view. We went on a really clear sunny day and it was so much fun.
Speaker 5: But what is the view up there, because like in London they've got like the London Eye, so a bigger version same thing right and there. It's right on the River Thames. It's right in the middle of London, so your opposite big bend the Houses of Parliament, you know, is an amazing skyline. You're right in the middle of London. You can see Bucking and Panis. I'm pretty sure you know. Whenever I'm sort of driven past, it's always that thing you see going to the airport, going back with go Melbourne.
Speaker 6: Before you see like the g and feel proud and up that thing. And it seems to just mainly be a view of the roof of Costco And how.
Speaker 4: Dare you wanted to never doing rotating? I never see it moving.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, it goes nice and slow, Jack, but you can you can see right out to Rosebud, to the Yu Yang's over in the west, right out way past your way at Thornbred.
Speaker 3: Jack, the view was quite good.
Speaker 6: To me. It was at night, it was at his peak. It looked nice to look at.
Speaker 5: I always think it looked great in the sky and one okay, but in terms of actually the viewing experience going on it. I always sort of just seemed to be like in a dreary part of the industrial area. Stick that right outside the G or all the sports precinct is there. That's an amazing beautiful part of a view over the G or something like that.
Speaker 4: I think they built it in a time where they were redeveloping all of docklands and they actually thought we were going to be flocking the dock lands every weekend.
Speaker 5: Remember was it last year on the show? And I started moaning about docklands well, chatting to Sally Cat and Sudd got the lord Mago's I live there.
Speaker 9: You call.
Speaker 5: She'd be taking a big hammer today to that Millennium Star, furious furious to us Melbourne has didn't back the Star thirteen years it's been there.
Speaker 6: And then you knows, perhaps he must have reported on it.
Speaker 5: I didn't really knowze so when they when they opened it thirteen years ago, it only ran from about forty days, shut it for two years because it wasn't good and basically the weather.
Speaker 6: What have they been doing? What had they been building? When?
Speaker 5: Was it based for Saudi Arabia or where it can't cope with some rain and some winds. I think got it from cheap I'm.
Speaker 7: Guessing didn't the pods crack and they had to take some of the pods off.
Speaker 4: I remember there was a crack in there. They were worried about spinning it around.
Speaker 5: Really, yeah, we had all this, have you? So you've been on the one in London that's got a nice view.
Speaker 4: One in London is great. I would never think to go on the Melbourne Star. I didn't actually pat on surprise you went on it, because I thought people from Melbourne didn't go on and it was a tourist trap. Only the only person I know who ever even got a ticket for it was my mum. Got a ticket for the Melbourne Star when it first opened from my brother for Christmas. But he didn't give it like family pass or even a ticket for mom and dad. It was just one single solo ticket for Mom to go on the Melbourne.
Speaker 6: Just by yourself. In a punishment.
Speaker 5: Pods kind of share the experience for anyone else. It's more like solitary confinement.
Speaker 7: They get you, though, don't they, because it's like every other attraction, like you know in New York. You as soon as you get off, you've got the photo opportunity. So you stand in a fake pod and you can get like that.
Speaker 6: Can't you get the photo up there again? A experience?
Speaker 5: Who wants a photo of your sav looking out over the roof of Costco and that thorn in the distance.
Speaker 6: Why do I feel so miserable right now?
Speaker 7: Then you wait half an hour for it to develop, so you're standing around, standing around, standing around.
Speaker 4: Can you guys super impose me on the London one.
Speaker 5: I want to see lots of around the world that is so great on the Melime Star. You can see the time. It always just seemed to be a deserted sort of wasteland there as well. Yesterday on the TV news, this is a great story for a local TV news, isn't it that the guy who was really this is you know and there was Trump put everything in a COVID thing right now, don't they's the backdrom.
Speaker 6: This is just another bad day for Melbourne.
Speaker 5: And I was thinking, how many of us really upset that the Mediennium Star is going to be put out on hard rubbish?
Speaker 6: Is it just gonna be sort of lent over and outside of a nature stripped down there? Today? We can all get one have your own part. And they were going.
Speaker 5: People here in Melbourne would have stories about the millenniums in the Melbourne style that they got engaged on it. You know, they met lovers on there, they went on first date. So again, did anyone ever get engaged on that? I'm sure that no one's got engaged.
Speaker 4: Even people went on it. But Patty's been on it.
Speaker 6: Had an amazing time. You can Chack.
Speaker 1: You can see thor Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 5: We're heading into our final couple of days then on Who's Calling Christian?
Speaker 6: Who's on Christian?
Speaker 5: It's this idea where it's up to you guys to try and reach out to celebrities and ask them to give us a call, where that celebrities from the eighties or nineties people used to be on posters on your bedroom walls, or your favorite sports stars or comedians. And the reason why you're asking him to give us a call, what's in it for them? And the reason why we've had how many are we up to twenty four twenty four celebrities ins over a week on this is they can win twenty five thousand dollars for the charity of their choice. And every single person who's called the show or left a message from when we're not here. I've all talked about a charity that really means something to them and they can also win you twenty five thousand dollars as well. So it's going to end nine am this Friday. Then we'll announce the top five of our favorite calls based on your comments as well, and then you will pick the winner. And then on Monday Show next week we'll announce who's getting the share of the fifty thousand dollars. Jackie Boy, who would you still love people to reach out to try and get?
Speaker 6: By Friday?
Speaker 4: Can I add a new one?
Speaker 6: Of course?
Speaker 4: I've been watching We've both been watching Mister in Between, our best way Australian drama.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not just the best Australian drama. I think there's been a few years.
Speaker 5: But actually that's up there with anything HBO or the BBC would do that is so good.
Speaker 6: I think it's on Foxtowl, isn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm watching it on the streaming service Binge, but you can get it on Foxtail or Binge. Mister in Between and the main guy who plays Mister in Between, he's a guy called Scott Ryan. He wasn't he was a taxi driver for this breakout role and he's so amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's incredvalent. Yeah, I would love anyone.
Speaker 10: It's for them collectibles of Abba, Okay, and I loved it because right now they're back again.
Speaker 6: Everyone is talking about Abba.
Speaker 5: Right, We've been talking about every show since last week, Abra mat with great new music, they're changing, how they how are we're going to see bands?
Speaker 6: They're in that strange tron outfit.
Speaker 5: I think they're not giving me in that tron outfit and you pay four hundred dollars strange Now.
Speaker 4: You called them stuff in old yesterday when describing that tron I.
Speaker 5: Was merely confused, like when we pay our money and I will next year to see the show, right, we're not gonna I thought thought they were going to be miss red Rio's notes that it's them in their seventies. I thought it meant at their age. Now where's actually meant the nineteen seventies when they were primo And obviously when one of them does call in, I think it's Bjorn. He does all these interviews. By the sound of this gram from Patsy's news at his piano.
Speaker 6: It's inconceivable to be where we are.
Speaker 10: No imagination could dream up to release a new album after forty years.
Speaker 5: I would still also really love by Friday. Arnold Schwarzenegger as well. You know we've been doing the Ages of the eighties. He comes up quite a lot in the movies as well. All right, here's what's happened yesterday. Just in one show on Who's Calling?
Speaker 6: Christian?
Speaker 2: Calling Christian?
Speaker 1: Did Christian Georgie Carolyn?
Speaker 11: Hi Christian?
Speaker 9: This is Jamie Redbern from Young Talent Time.
Speaker 12: Hi, Christian, kill the Brown here. Linda from Craig even got in hold of me from my Instagram.
Speaker 13: Hello, Christian, this is father Bob here. All the bits to you into the radio because radio kept us going during hard times.
Speaker 6: Good morning. Who's calling Christian?
Speaker 8: It's Belinda Carlile calling.
Speaker 6: Are you still coming here to Australia. You touring?
Speaker 8: I hope? So I'm crossing everything. I'm supposed to come to Australia for a month's long tour in February, I hope. So yeah.
Speaker 6: Aren't you just sick of seeing stuff over zoom?
Speaker 8: Oh I'm so over zoom. I'm so over ring lights and trying to get angled. It's so annoying. Now I say, my camera's broken and I.
Speaker 6: Just take a stick of What is the song you love listening to on your own?
Speaker 8: I love Andy Gibbs. I just want to be your everything.
Speaker 5: So when did you first start to listen to this when you were the Go Gos?
Speaker 8: Or actually now, because I was a punk rocker, it came out. I think about nineteen eighty one. It must have come out, so I couldn't really admit that that I like it.
Speaker 6: I'm in Christian. Who will call next?
Speaker 5: Three and a half days left to go on it wide open, fifty thousand dollars up for grabs. You can find out more at the Christian o'connells show dot com dot au good Luck.
Speaker 1: Well Christian o connell's show podcast.
Speaker 5: Yesterday when we came in on the show, we're playing back some of the voice smails that have been there for Who's coming Christian over the weekend?
Speaker 6: Obviously we're not here, but obviously.
Speaker 5: I am live seven to or nine every Saturday morning, right, no time checks come be bothered of the weekend. Only during the week it's a Monday to Friday thing. AnyWho, what they voicemails was from the Great Irrepressible Father Bob, and during his lovely message to us, always love to hear from the great Father Bob, he said this all the.
Speaker 13: Best to the radio, because radio kept us going during hard times.
Speaker 5: That's a very nice kind of blessing, you know, a shout out to radio and all the people that work in radio chat to you guys, it's very nice to have that from a man like Father Bob. Often on radio you'll hear shout outs. Right, we don't do it on this show, but lots of other shows. Love just wasting your time by just saying names out loud, people you don't even know, who've.
Speaker 4: Never met them. We don't know them by carol.
Speaker 6: Get them every day? Can you sell load to my boyfriend?
Speaker 5: Why some random dude on the radio it's gonna have any Why don't you say that to her? So anyway, perhaps Father Bob basically doing a shout out genetically to something other than being a human being. Maybe this is a new thing we could start. There must be other things you want to have shout outs too that aren't actual people. If you do, I'm quite happy to sell out who to something else, something actual, physical rather than just a human being.
Speaker 4: We'll never do a human based shout out. No, we will do non human based.
Speaker 6: Non hure ones. Or I will do a centim being.
Speaker 5: I will do a pet if there's a pet that loves listen to a show and listens to us every morning. More than happy to a shout out to your pets. What do you want to do a shout out to you, Jake?
Speaker 4: I would love to give a shout out to my tracksuit pairs that look like jeans.
Speaker 6: I get tracksuit pants.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, and it's been tricking you and everybody else these pants. I walk around the world with the comfort of track suit pants, but they're designed to.
Speaker 6: Look like what is going on now? It's like a catalog shuit. Get your foot off my desk.
Speaker 4: I'm just showing them.
Speaker 5: I don't need the country roads come back. Did you see him just put his far on the desk there he's staring off into the distance.
Speaker 6: I got those cattalog photos and they're like jeggings. He's wearing jaggins.
Speaker 11: Well, they're up.
Speaker 3: I need to see want to the desk, Yeah, be careful, don't. Oh yeah, that's oh.
Speaker 6: They're not jeans, they're jeggings.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 6: They do look really smart.
Speaker 4: They trick everybody. People can't believe that they're they're not jeans. And I walk around the world in.
Speaker 5: Jesus, he walks all around the world.
Speaker 6: He walks and play. We're lucky to have him personally, just three hours of a day walking around them with.
Speaker 4: The comfort of tracksuit pants, but going about as a smart dress. And I think you're tricking if you want it is a trick to everybody, you guys, be honest, I've worn these many times before. You never thought I would wear track suit pants to the studio?
Speaker 3: Are they allow? Lemon?
Speaker 6: They are a Camar?
Speaker 3: You're kidding? Say I told you so? Came out is brilliant.
Speaker 6: Last couple of days. All the stars are love and Camar.
Speaker 5: That one there, all the stars, all the influences, whether it's.
Speaker 6: A plate or a jogging All right, I want to give.
Speaker 5: A shout out to This is about the only thing I need to start a radio show is a sharpie. Now it's not any kind of normal sharpie. It's actually very specific kind of sharpie. It's the sharpie fine point. So I get the boldness of mister sharpie, but in a really fine point.
Speaker 4: I've never seen you write anything that isn't with a sharpie you.
Speaker 6: Get from the Christmas cards. So the kids said, like, can you find a normal pen? What does it have to be? In block capitals?
Speaker 2: Like this is the Christian o'connells show podcast.
Speaker 6: Do you fancy Today? Then a classic radio.
Speaker 5: Shout out, but not to a person, maybe a pet, not a person, mainly a thing. Jax just want to do a shout out to is they are very smart. I will be getting some right. It's not a jagging. They're not tight like a jaging.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 4: No, they're tracksuit pants, but they're manufactured to look like jeans and they are very convincing. You would think I'm wearing jeans right now, but I'm in the comfort of a tracksuit pant.
Speaker 5: You've convinced me. I'm now on the kmart website. I'm actually going to get some right if I do click and click? Can you pick them up from your local woman because you're there virtually all the time.
Speaker 3: Might need your ID though, for clicking click put it under.
Speaker 4: My name's traveling internationally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, come, they need to see your license.
Speaker 6: Who is just turning up like opportunistic criminals trying to get free knit jogger jeans from the back of kmart.
Speaker 7: Put them under my name and put VNA likes as a collection. I'll get them for you today.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, this is great, isn't the knit jogger jean?
Speaker 4: I think that's it great?
Speaker 6: One review, five out of five. Right do you always read the reviews? I do? I love reading them.
Speaker 5: Right here we go, Haley, verify by it look great. Got these to my man. He loves them so comfy too, He says, what's this review helpful? These are the bozos? He could you bother to put anything? Three people have given it the old thumbs up. Who the hell is taking time to give it? Two thumbs down?
Speaker 6: You're on your own, mate. You take it as thirty bucks. Get them on, don't get them? Who's going? I need? What more? Do you need to know?
Speaker 4: More information? Haley?
Speaker 6: They're for men? He liked them five out of five. Way two thumbs down. The people.
Speaker 5: All right there next to our shout outs not to think well, looking for things, not people, Patsy, what.
Speaker 6: Do you want to give a shout out to? There's not a person.
Speaker 7: Definitely my moccasins because I wear them probably three quarters of the day.
Speaker 3: It's a wonder. I don't wear them to work.
Speaker 7: There in the bottom of my bed as I speak, still snoozing away.
Speaker 3: Because I wear them to bed, not in the bed, Yes, in the bed drives Chris crazy.
Speaker 6: I mean an actual slipper in the bed.
Speaker 7: Both my slippers because my feet are so cold at not really wear a sock or something, you know songs.
Speaker 3: No tried socks, but they I don't like the feelings.
Speaker 6: I just feel like you've been kicked around your own bed.
Speaker 3: No, no, I love my monkeys.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Three quarters of the day, I seventy five per We've all done the maths.
Speaker 6: Jackie, bite in to your mysterious jeans joggers.
Speaker 4: Now I know they're called the knit what are they called them? Knitwear?
Speaker 5: Jackout from haiti VERI five hour reviewer knit jogger jeans on came up.
Speaker 6: Shout out to cheeky monkey and the thing I had yesterday.
Speaker 5: Before I went home a Turkish hot amazing.
Speaker 6: I've got no idea what was in it? What makes a Turkish I've got no idea.
Speaker 5: But it tasted a lot sweeter. I think there's extra sugar in it. But it was delicious, all right. Some of your shout outs. Pam wants a shout out to her Dyson vacuum cleaner.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh yes, this is an essential part of my day.
Speaker 5: If you've got dogs in there, firm everywhere, Palm treats are like a member of the family, hands down, the best thing I ever bought.
Speaker 6: Fenton Whip.
Speaker 5: That's not your name. Surely that's just a name on Facebookuse it, Fenton Whip. I want to shout out to my Mexican fighting fish, Carlos Santana. What a name I didn't know there wasn't Mexican fighting fish.
Speaker 6: Marcus Morris, Who are these made up criminal names?
Speaker 5: Shout out to my PlayStation five, always there for me when I need it, Marcus, I got the feend like Patsy and the moccas Sens. You're using that seventy five percent of your day. Colin, shout out to my scrub Daddy.
Speaker 4: Yes, I hear you, Colin.
Speaker 6: Go Off and Coles. Last week it has changed my life. Christian.
Speaker 5: Can I get a shout out to my four cats? Yes, you can shout out good morning, mad Max, Elliott, Yaka, and Frankie. That's from Justin.
Speaker 6: Christian. Could you give a Shout out to my fridge and my oven. Nicholas. Oh Sorr, I should have paused there. You're Nicholas or is the oven called Nicholas? Who knows? What a time to be alive? Shout out to Home Delivery. Shout out to Home Deliveries.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're quite right, Janelle, which are giving people something to look forward to during lockdown. Shout out Tom Anthony for John Street Coffee, Oakley, please done. Shout out to Reserve Grave County Football Leagues. Great mates, great time, some fitness, Go Trentham Saints.
Speaker 6: That's from Gareth.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Christian o'crl show.
Speaker 5: Podcast yesterday you're talking about your toaster. I've actually had emails about toaster chat yesterday over.
Speaker 4: Time is what I want to know.
Speaker 5: This is an interesting one from David Osborne, who can relate to your anks. Christian listening to the show heard the riveting discussion about toasters and Jack fearing that toaster's come to the end of its life. A few years ago, my wife and I needed to face the task of buying a new toaster, thinking this.
Speaker 6: Will be a straightforward process. It was not. At the shop seeing all the different.
Speaker 5: Toasters lined up with their different functions, different slice capacity, a lot of pressure on us, made even worse by my wife insisting that the new toaster must match the kitchen and other appliances.
Speaker 6: And my wife's like that.
Speaker 5: It's all got to make sense. It felt like the ending of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where he was faced with having to choose the Holy Grail. Make make the wrong choice in your life will suffer. It needs us to say we panic chose poorly. Now live with a deep regret on this bad life choice we have made. Jack needs a new toaster. That's some Dave Osbourne. I have to play some audio. Some guy has said there's a guy on YouTube. You know there's so many people now on YouTube everything. This guy he is mister Toaster, right. He's some Russian guy over in Russia, right where he reviews every single toaster that's available for us to buy for like a ten minute in depth review. I've heard some of the audio, right, It's like a sashion Baron Cohen character.
Speaker 6: I can't believe it's a real All I.
Speaker 4: Need from a toaster is just the press down function. I never use any of those, but can't buy that. There's too many buttons, yew, there's too many functions.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 6: Ten minutes past seven.
Speaker 5: Let's find out who is on the line now on Who's Calling? Christian went to our last four days on the final week?
Speaker 6: Good morning? Who's calling Christian? Who's this?
Speaker 9: Good morning Christian? This is Matt. You might me from the singer Bross.
Speaker 5: Matt Goss, No way, where in the world are you and how are you calling the show? Who's asked you to give a skill?
Speaker 9: Matt, I'm actually calling on behalf of Late the Night for Hoshings and Antumia.
Speaker 5: Oh great charity do very very important work for a table condition. Thanks for supporting their work.
Speaker 9: Of course, hell are you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I'm good, so, Matt Goss. Honestly, right, I it's harder able to understand, right Patsy. I know Patsy who does the show with us, A massive fan of yours, as was many many people around the world. But Matt, I remember coming to see you guys. I had to take my younger sister, who was the bigger Bross fan back in bros Mania and you played Southampton Mayflower and there were thousands of screaming kids right, it was like beatle Mania. My sister fainted and she was right at the front by the crash barriers got pulled out. She missed the missed Your entire show made it to her front page news of the local newspaper. She still regrets it to this day. I got to see you guys. I have to say you were You were amazing live. You guys could really sing.
Speaker 9: Ah, thank you Matt. Yeah, I mean we got discovered as a band.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: It was like I think, because when you get screened up, people kind of like to get shop. But it was some of the best years of my life with some of these, certainly in Australia as well. We turned up to Sydney and there were ten thousand people at Sydney Airport and incredible, incredible experiences globally.
Speaker 5: Really and also moments say, heyday of sort of the tabloids, newspapers. This was back when they would just make stories up. I remember, and I actually believed this for a while. Wasn't there a story going round that you and your brother were genetically modified?
Speaker 9: Do you remember that? Apparently they said that we had we had our cheekbones inserted, so we looked more alike and we were twins anyway, but they just just in case we weren't twins enough. Yeah, apparently that we were genetically kind of like modified, which is she always fun. You should try it.
Speaker 6: The thing is, I feel embarrassed saying this.
Speaker 5: I actually believed it because back when you thought, well, if the newspaper's saying this, it's obviously the truth. And I actually thought, make it. They look genetically modified. That's why they're too good looking. They've been GM.
Speaker 9: Modified GM AI.
Speaker 6: You were early AI, you and your brother and so I know you did a big residency for years in Vegas. How was that?
Speaker 5: Didn't you do like ten twelve years? I saw in the documentary a couple of years ago that yeah, we just.
Speaker 9: Well COVID really is the reason I stopped because all the shows came to a close. Yeah, but it was one of the longest running male residences in Vegas history. So I was at Caesars Palace for ten years, and just over a year ago I stopped and then started a new record. But it was something that was incredible, incredible experiences. It was an incredible being the headliner on the strip and alongside Celine Dion and Elton John and stuff.
Speaker 6: It was incredible, one amazing experience. And how many shows were you doing a year?
Speaker 9: About It got up to about one hundred and twenty shows a year. So if you think the average world tour is eighty, so we were doing one hundred and twenty a year, so it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 6: Wow. Wait and how many years did you keep that up?
Speaker 9: For just under eleven years? So yeah, we did the decade?
Speaker 6: And how did you keep going? There must have been on us, right, There must have been some nights when I can't do it, I cannot go out there again.
Speaker 9: Yeah, to real to view it was just it was it got to the point at the end of the residency I was just like I was just starting to feel that exact way. I was just like, I need to get out to the world. I need to see you know, Melbourne and you know Paris and Berlin and Tokyo and London, and I just need to get out And that's why I really it was. It was almost like Heaven sent in a weird way. I just like, I have to really look at my life and just get back to the world and and write a record that will enable me to do that exact thing, you know, and.
Speaker 5: You obviously still love singing live because you've got I know you've got a new song, haven't you I do.
Speaker 9: It's called Somewhere to Fall and work with everyone from Babyface to you know, Jay Rustling read day by daily, some great, great producers and just it was.
Speaker 14: It was.
Speaker 9: It's a diary, kind of a snapshot into the last couple of years of my life. Be really really proud of it. Going back to pop really really you know, bangers, real bangers on this on this album.
Speaker 6: Do you know what?
Speaker 5: I moved here from the UK all right three years ago and I've been trying to get Australians to say the word bangers, and our listeners now say it back to me.
Speaker 9: Bang yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's great to hear the word bangers again. It's a kind of fish thing. Isn't the phrase for a good song? It's a banger.
Speaker 9: It's a banger. Yeah. It's like you know, anyone listening in Australia, there are there are worse options than bangers.
Speaker 6: You need to bring out the greats, cross bangers.
Speaker 9: Cross bangers. Yeah, calling Christians, calling Kinston and cross bangers. I see where you're going.
Speaker 5: But I like it, and so were you hoping that you'll be able to get on the road again and go and come over to Australia and go and tour the world with the new stuff.
Speaker 9: I am, without question next year going to Australia. Some of the greatest memories of my life is touring was in Australia. I mean they said hundreds and hundreds of shows and around the world, but I've not been able to get back to OZ and I just it is truly some of the best memories of my life. It was some of the craziest memories for sure.
Speaker 6: What amazing.
Speaker 9: I'm coming back next year. That out.
Speaker 5: And when you do live stuff, do you do any unusual cover versions? I remember you guys doing an amazing version of Stevie Wonder's Superstition. Do you remember doing that on I think it was Jonathan Ross's TV show.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, it was a higher ground Superstition. And you're I'm a massive to you under Fance. So I always I always love doing CEV Wonder and just you know, we get in the band always love it, so we just I mean, it's crazy for me to get back on the stage. I think most musicians even listening more will relate to just wanting to get back on stage and and just feeling the energy that you get from a live audience. I can't wait to get back on stage.
Speaker 6: And how do you think it be now touring in you know?
Speaker 5: I hope you don't mind me asking you this, but I feel like we bonded over the word banger.
Speaker 6: You must be like me, who's in your middle ages? Now?
Speaker 5: How do you think it be touring the world as a middle aged early middle aged gentlemen?
Speaker 9: Well, go on my Instagram and if you tell me I look my age, then I will call back again and not to have the proper shout.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at a picture of you right now on your Instagram feed.
Speaker 6: You are a banger.
Speaker 9: And a banger. You're not bad yourself, you know what.
Speaker 6: I'm a couple of British bangers just hanging out.
Speaker 9: If I was, if I was a bird, I mean I'm being light No whole Winter's evening. You never know, you don't.
Speaker 6: It's true.
Speaker 5: Now, everyone who gives us a call, we are asking what song is like a guilty pleasure for them? A song they secretly love. What is it for you? Matt Goss well, I.
Speaker 9: Have to be wearing the right trousers for this. I have to be wearing the right trousers for it. And I just walk around my house and it's got to be staying alive by the beaches.
Speaker 6: What a song banger?
Speaker 9: Right, poper banger?
Speaker 6: You ever done this live?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 9: But I would like to break it down like hip hop hip hop groove, do you know what I mean? Just a bit of a hip hop beat with it. Slow it down a bit, make it a bit more central. Yeah, it's in there, it's in mind. Now I'm gonna I'll try and get it done the time I getsors.
Speaker 6: Please please do Do you know what?
Speaker 5: The more I look through your Instagram feed, you are definitely one hundred percent genetically modified. I'm calling it now. It's not normal to be that age and be that good looking. You're getting as you get younger, you're getting more and more good looking.
Speaker 6: What are you going to be that when you're eighty? You'd be too hot.
Speaker 9: My old man is fire and he still looks like James Bond, who is actually is a detective of Scotland Yard. My old man, I'll be doing all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he should be the next change Bond he should take over from Daniel Craid Bond Banger.
Speaker 9: Let me ask you one thing. I've got a few a question. So you have a dog, and I think I think we both called our dogs Reggie.
Speaker 6: Yes, our little dog is called Reggie. Yeah, you really called Reggie.
Speaker 9: Mine's called Reggie after Reggie Crane.
Speaker 5: Come on, they think us s British people are obsessed with the grade.
Speaker 6: You can't go around naming it one of the grave.
Speaker 9: What is wrong with being You know, Ready used to call me from prison every every every morning and read me poetry to journey.
Speaker 6: Of course I didn't know that. Are you winding me up? Is this for real?
Speaker 9: Is it honest? True? Regue me really called me and reading poetry from from her majesty's every morning?
Speaker 6: What is it's a one phone call of the day. Hang on, guys, I'll be offered a minute. I just call it Matt, Matt, Matt. What was it poetry that he'd written that day or just classic poems?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was like he wanted to be a clothing designer. He read poetry. So I feel like I'm getting out the door. I got a call him running And.
Speaker 6: How did you become friends with one of the craze.
Speaker 9: Well, he called me out, but I was having sushi. I was having sushi. He was just and I got a phone call and he was a Matt and I went, hello, Regue, really pray I love your book.
Speaker 6: So he's calling from inside prison.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I was like, you're right, are we good? And he goes, yeah, I just love your books, you know, So we became men.
Speaker 5: That is an unbelievable story. I did not know that. What a life, What a life you've had.
Speaker 9: You still we're still in, you're still here cushing up.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, listen, I really hope you get to come next year to Australia and come to Melbourn.
Speaker 6: You have to come in on the show. If you do, come out Matt and lovely chating you.
Speaker 5: Love good luck with the new singer as well. I'm still glad you're doing great work as well. Matt Goss. Thank you very much for giving us a call. Take care mate.
Speaker 6: Hopefully'll see you next year.
Speaker 9: Much loking you and you're listeners.
Speaker 6: All right, Thanks banger.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast.
Speaker 5: Twenty five to eight God one A four point three Christian O'Connell's Show last four days on Who's calling Christian? Last person we spoke to you on this was about twenty minutes ago, Matt Goss from Bross call it from La. Let's find out who's on the line right now. Good morning, who's calling Christian?
Speaker 11: Good morning Christian. Tim Ferguson calling.
Speaker 6: Tim, Welcome to the show. Thanksgiving us a call.
Speaker 11: Hey, now, how are you going?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: We do it very well. And who's asked you to give us a call? Note?
Speaker 11: Oh, Jaredy Beavers my phone and longtime soon, Ludy Beavers. You kind of didn't and you know you've just got to do whatever people tell you.
Speaker 5: Well, Tim Ferguson, thank you very much for giving us a call. I remember he called some Doug By Antony Allstars, right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, that's one of my guilty pleasures. That's who thank you. Yeah, that's what I was doing against the In fact, we did quite a few sort of little gigs together. There was such a huge noise at the time.
Speaker 5: I think you just broke up there on your phone there, Tim, Did you say you guys did a show with Matt Goss?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I remember. The first one was some big Jamaican hurricane thing that we did at one of the big theaters at the Odeon I think and Bross were there and the whole place was going.
Speaker 6: Banana's so in Jamaica or in the UK.
Speaker 11: No, they just had one in Jamaica and so everybody got together along with his Big Sheep and the youtubet there and you know, Brian Palmer and Banana Rama. It was. It was so cool. Every time you walked out of the dressing room there were more people to suck up to.
Speaker 6: Oh I remember seeing you guys stuck into Neil Stars. Do do you remember Edward Festival? It must have been the early nineties doing Late and Live. You used to do a lot of the late live shows when they're really wild and like one or two do those?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, look, I'm sorry that the mess we made. Did you see the one where we had rolled which start on purpose and literally that vide had to say, not it's okay if it happens spontaneously with the crowd, but you know, if you just start throwing beer, you know what, they're like.
Speaker 6: Two am in Scotland. Good luck with that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know we're in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 11: There are great days we made a very big mess.
Speaker 6: And what is the name of the charity that you're supporting, Tim.
Speaker 11: Oh, the Cambodian Children's Fund. You do fantastic work. They're people who go to the garbage tips and find kids and send them to school. And they've been doing it for a long time now. So they've got kids they found who have now you know, they're at university and doing great things, kicking great goals. And also they have one that I do, which is sponsor a granny because we love of single older women in Cambodia because of the you know, the Vietnam War, and so you can sponsor your room single granny. It's a great charity.
Speaker 6: Awesome.
Speaker 5: Well thanks letting us know about that. Sounds incredible. Now, Tim, everyone who gives us a call, we're asking him what song is there? Guilty Pleasure? What is it for you?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 8: My god?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean for me for a love to guys out there tears Sofia's shout. You know, it's just one of those things when it comes on, you've just got to tell you that.
Speaker 6: This is a great song. Tim.
Speaker 11: Oh, you know, it's just got so much shouting.
Speaker 6: That's a great thing. Everyone loves about it. It's a shouting and we know that shouting is called shout.
Speaker 11: Sure, yeah, yeah, so you tell anybody for God's sake.
Speaker 6: Oh don't keep it quiet, Tim, alright, Tim, thank you very much for giving us a call and telling us about a great charity. I hope you will really love to hear from you today.
Speaker 11: Thanks christ Thanks everyone, take care Tim.
Speaker 1: Well, Christian No Connell's show podcast up.
Speaker 5: To twenty six celebrities now and who's calling Christian? Thank you very much to everyone to be getting to call the show. All your messages on Instagram, Facebook sign then Matt Gas him or Bross and Tim Ferguson from Doug Anthony Allstar, so many many other things, including a movie we were talking about bizarrely, I think two or three weeks ago. Have you bought something A Sembrities spin Out?
Speaker 6: Spin Out? Yeah? That was it? All right?
Speaker 5: So yesterday big news here then Melbourne Star no More? I mean, how do they perhaps do you know what happens now they've announced that it's no more? Does it just get dismantled and sold or I.
Speaker 7: Think there's two options. They can sell it or they sell it for scrap I guess please.
Speaker 5: Can they list on real estate dot com dot au so we could all have a little sneak peek around all the rooms. I saw someone online yesterday, Tim I think he works to the ABC suggest that they turn it to a giant rotating quarantine hotel, which is a credit because it's on the way from the airport to the city.
Speaker 4: And you're sealed in those pods this waving.
Speaker 5: Your friends are in there and family members before you actually see them. So I hope they do do a live auction, right they need a giant for sales sign on an hoarding like you get when you drive around the burbs.
Speaker 4: But in all honestee, if the company goes bankrupt and they said we can't afford to do it anymore, can they just walk away and leave it there and make it somebody else's problem? Or do they are they forced to dismantle it?
Speaker 3: They've got a buyer?
Speaker 4: But what if they don't. What if nobody wants to operate the Melbourne staff from here on it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, who's chombus in to actually take it down? Bit by bit? I want to know.
Speaker 5: Yesterday when I was watching this on the on the news, they're a reporter down there, obviously, right, and they were talking about this is this is this is another sad day for Melbourne on top of lockdown, one of the longest lockdown cities in the world. And this is all Melbourne has need right now, a beloved historic landmark.
Speaker 6: They I know, come on, they take away our freedom.
Speaker 5: They can be protesting this weekend about this on the anti vaxes.
Speaker 6: They'll be climbing up.
Speaker 4: It yourself to the star this weekend.
Speaker 5: I want to see the freeways. I want to see what's on the roof a Costco. I want to see Thornbury from up here. So many great spectacular views. And Patsy is the only other person we've spoken to who's been on it.
Speaker 6: And your mum.
Speaker 4: No mum never went on it. You can't. She got the ticket for Christmas. But then it shot for four years after it open, opened for forty days.
Speaker 6: That has corrected us. It shot for five years.
Speaker 5: It built it forty days of Melbourne weather right, and then they were like, it can't hand it hates he hates being here.
Speaker 6: It is not. It's not taken to Melbourne. Shut it for five years. What were they doing for five years waiting for ten Orgy to catch up? Because someone else saw it out waiting for the wind. It's going to get colder. We could open it again.
Speaker 4: And then remember it would have been when you first got here in twenty eighteen. It just stopped while people were on it.
Speaker 3: How long four about an hour? I believe it was.
Speaker 5: To be terrifying that sometimes happens with the with the London Eye. The London Eye because it's right in the middle of London, right on the river there and you've got like big Ban and how's the Parliament. You can see bucket and place. You get all the views of the city and that. So it was a very it is a very bottled place for people to go and propose on. I wonder if we have listeners. I've even been on it all right, eyewitness account.
Speaker 4: That's the first step. Can we get any calls.
Speaker 6: You it has anyone?
Speaker 5: This guy yesterday on the news was talking about people going on first dates proposing. Has anyone really thought what a great landmark, you know, one of the best iconic, you know, beautiful moments that not the lane ways or someone like by the mcg but actually going on that the star to propose to somebody.
Speaker 4: So are we looking for any milestones, first date, break ups, proposals.
Speaker 6: First dates, last dates, people sprinkling ashes in there. Any I'm struggling here, I'm struggling here.
Speaker 5: Okay, any story, never know, imagine there's been a stranger some.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, it's Uncle Bertie.
Speaker 4: He loved the view, he loved the start.
Speaker 5: He loves seeing thromb on a clear day and the roof of that cos.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: Do you have a story about the Melbourne Star because it was it originally known as the Southern Star.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: No, just a star.
Speaker 5: I think actually cutting that line in quiry down Pat, No think it was picture challenge. Keep me up in the air with that one. Still got that voice what she needs it? No, Darren, good.
Speaker 9: Morning, Good morning, Christian.
Speaker 11: I'm stringing up.
Speaker 16: My old boss used the Melbourne Star as a team building exercise for our group of six day starff.
Speaker 5: Who are you working for? David Brent from the So, how did it work then with your entire team and all the pods?
Speaker 16: Well, you can only fit eight into a pod, so that we were separated into two teams to go into the different pods. So yeah, it was thirty minutes to go around the round the eye, and it was a little bit underwhelming really, and.
Speaker 5: Also not that team bonding because you're all separated into just pods of two.
Speaker 16: Yeah yeah, we can look out the window at the other ones.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Darren, did you feel like it brought you closer together as a unit?
Speaker 17: Um?
Speaker 16: Oh, we're about twenty meters apart. I suppose I meant like.
Speaker 4: I morally, did it bring you?
Speaker 6: Team bonding is about your distance there, Darren. I think the team bonding works, are you co ser Yeah? I sit now next to Pete back in.
Speaker 16: We'd already had I think it was about six or seven hours in a hotel meeting room doing planning out for the years.
Speaker 6: So well, yeah, yeah, yeah, gotcha, Darren. Thank you very much for a breaker down that day for us, that.
Speaker 5: A special team man would send your brides down and take care.
Speaker 16: Thank you.
Speaker 5: So it's good to get the full sort of itinery of how that work. I guess with coffees at nine makes sense, wouldn't it. Guys down stare, there's you know dum good morning.
Speaker 14: Good morning christ and how are your man?
Speaker 6: I'm good, buddy, you well.
Speaker 14: A very good year to a bad man, not gonna okay yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah, very good. So tell me about the star. What's your story for us? Yeah?
Speaker 14: So I was at my friend buck party. Terrence bought my box. I'm a friend, and we were in line. There's about five of us in the line for the bus party, and I've talken to some young girl next to me and I thought, you know, she looks okay, I'm not I'm a single man. And I talked to her. We have a good chat, and then I go with her, and then my friend go by himself with his friends, and I go with her, and I'm still with her two years later.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 6: Wow, wow, a rom com.
Speaker 14: Now can you believe that?
Speaker 6: I can't believe it? But I can't believe it.
Speaker 5: Now, tell me this show your friend. You just ditched your mate. He went in a different pot. You went with the girl.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I thought, you know, we've been friends for a long time and he understands I need. Yeah, I didn't have one, lady. Now, you had to choice to think about it. Man, you know what to do it.
Speaker 6: You got to let him go. You gotta let him.
Speaker 4: Every man for himself on that stuff, exactly.
Speaker 14: Right, Man, You have to do it memories there and.
Speaker 6: You're still together two years later together like yeah, we have.
Speaker 14: We always talked about it. We upseaid about this singling down, you know, because we don't know what they're doing. I have to go to Luna Park and maybe I kiss on the on the us to make that the dwarf on you know you're.
Speaker 5: Not going to do on your behalf. I'm going to campaign to whoever I can campaign to. They need to let you guys have one last, one last ride.
Speaker 18: That would be unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Well, I try, and I can't promise anything, but I'm going to try for you.
Speaker 9: Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Christian, Hey, thank you very much for calling the show. You ready cheered us all up this morning. Mate.
Speaker 18: Take care you have a great tame man.
Speaker 6: Stay safe.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 5: I'm serious. We should try and find out. Can we be began this year with one last game? Can we end with one last spin?
Speaker 4: We have to go round.
Speaker 5: I think if it was like a charity thing, they could raise some money for great charity right here in Melbourne.
Speaker 6: Christine, good morning.
Speaker 12: Hi, good morning, how are you.
Speaker 6: I'm good Christine? So the Star. What's your story about it.
Speaker 12: I was one of the first workers of it when it opened up the first time as the Southern Star Observation Wheel.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, newsreaders, apologize local it was originally known as the Southern Star.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I've still got to drink bottle. That's the Southern Star Observation Wheel.
Speaker 5: And it must have been really exciting when it opened because obviously, I guess it was seen as a big thing to renovate the Docklands area.
Speaker 6: And so was it good fun of work there for a brief period.
Speaker 12: It actually really was. I made a couple of really good friends there, and all the managers were great. We just had a really fun time. So my job was what was called guest so basically with ticket selling and so you either did that or you would controlled the line. So that was kind of our job. And yeah, I was part of the first wedding that was on it. I was pulled aside by my manager and she's like, oh, come with me for a minute. So we went up to the top floor where you get off, and she asked me to give champagne to the couple who came off the wheel just after their wedding.
Speaker 5: Someone got married on it, yeah, we have to by the end of this week track them down.
Speaker 6: Do we think they're still together?
Speaker 12: I have no idea.
Speaker 18: I don't even know the names to be honor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so were you there when it was originally open for that brief period like forty or fifty days and they closed it for five years?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 18: It was.
Speaker 12: It was basically just the summer job. And then we came into work one day and they told us it's not working anymore. We have to close it down.
Speaker 5: Has there been another major tourist attraction. I think it cost over one hundred million that opened only forty or fifty days.
Speaker 6: And then they closed it for five years to affair it.
Speaker 4: Because one hundred million, that's even a million dollars a day.
Speaker 5: You'd want your money back. Has it some sort of refund? Christine lovely story. Thank you very much to give us a call on.
Speaker 14: Holding on no worries.
Speaker 9: Thanks, have a great day than you.
Speaker 6: Steve Yes, Steve the Star. What can you tell us?
Speaker 17: Okay, so Christine obviously worked there. Well, she would probably know me because I was the first public person to write it, because I won the Herald Sun Prize to be the first public person to write it, and not only that, I got a pre tour of the construction site as part of the prize.
Speaker 6: What a prize? How did you win it?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 6: I know it was in the newspaper, but what did you have to do? Yeah?
Speaker 17: I had to apply. It was an email application or online application through the Herald Sun. But I actually sent an email saying that if I win, I'll propose to my missus and surprised prize I win. So there was I got an email from the project marketing manager for my an G real Estate and I'm actually looking at that email as we speak from the Waterfront City team and they said congratulations, you won. And that was on the twenty eighth of February two thousand and eight. And I because it was delayed so long and so long it was meant to be open during the night, then it was going to be changed for a morning show with the Today Show for a grand opening. Then a phone call from Amy saying that we may be getting Jessica Simpson in the carriage with you at the grand open.
Speaker 6: This is incredible. How random?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 17: And it was delayed, delayed, delayed, and in the end, because I was replying, I was on standby for so long. My missus actually found I was replying to emails. If you questioned me, who are your applying to? No one?
Speaker 9: No one?
Speaker 17: And and I ended up fessing saying, oh, look a grand prize to the Ferris Wheel. And she goes, what else are you doing? And she she basically found out that I was going to propose from the first because she goes, I love you, but I don't want to be placid all over the news, right across every paper across the Southern hemisphere. And so I didn't propose. But they were very gutted the Southern Star Reservation Wheel because they had they had the age. It's actually pretty.
Speaker 9: She was there to be the main of honor, but it was.
Speaker 17: Look, it has been a disaster that that wheel. And thankfully my relationship hasn't been like that where we're fourteen years going strong and we're actually expecting it on the baby.
Speaker 5: So congratulations, that's great. St So let me tell you, so you go on it. You did go on the wheel, the first public person to go on and use it?
Speaker 6: Yep, what was it like? We are scared because she must have been a bit scared.
Speaker 17: Well, I was more actual. We took my niece and nephew, because I've got to pick a group of this with us. They were they were cractually more terrified than us. But yeah, look at what it was fascinating. But the first thing that we thought was what a crappy location? Like, why was you put us here?
Speaker 6: That's the first thing weakness report of history.
Speaker 4: You're exactly who they wanted to get.
Speaker 5: What was it like at the fall in the burning wall rubbish wall really shot?
Speaker 17: No, No, that was internal thinking. But but look it was pretty special at the time. You know, obviously they were.
Speaker 9: Trying to.
Speaker 17: Compare it to the Singapore Flyer. Yeah, but it realistically it was looking over the dock the docklands of Melbourne. Not the best location.
Speaker 6: Steve, Thank you very much, your story mate. Take care.
Speaker 2: Cheers by Christian Connell show podcast that's has gone off for Who's corning?
Speaker 6: Christian has find out who's there now to talk to us? Good morning? Who is this?
Speaker 18: Good morning Christian? This is comedian Bill Rook Jay Singer speaking. How are you?
Speaker 6: You don't need to chuck in the comedian, we know who you are.
Speaker 18: You Well, this is where I'm insecure because it's been such a flex already buzzly. The song that was playing is backshit Boys, and I know AJ is already called in right, it's bad enough, Olivia Newton, Johnny is in the mix. How am I meant to break them?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 18: What a flex by AJ? First of all? And then I'm a scuming Christian. This is just a few coincidence that my intro song was a song called immigrant song talk about being on the back foot on a bloody Tuesday.
Speaker 6: Morning, feeling paranoid.
Speaker 18: Oh my god, mate, here here I am. I know we've met a couple of times.
Speaker 17: I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 18: Pretty sure he knows me. But I'm telling you, I mean, come on, like, surely, surely I'm in with a chance somehow the underdog story.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I follow you on Instagram and I always get inspired because obviously your story of the last couple of years. I think I saw earlier this year. I think it was July or something you celebrate five years sober as well.
Speaker 18: There was actually a couple of weeks ago, five years of sobriety. Yeah exactly, because that's say coming from Sri Lanka. But my parents, you know, well, it was made sure that I you know, hit the books and then certainly they send me to a country like Australia and turns out I can scull a pint in four seconds, and then all of a sudden I was made national hero at the University Genius. Yeah, exactly exactly, but no, it is. It is really lovely to call in. It was Mary Antigus on Instagram hit me up, fleeted my DMS and said can you do this? And I was like absolutely. And the charity that I'm calling in for is Shake it Up Australia. It is a charity setup for Parkinson's research and they do a lot of great work with the Michael J. Fox Foundation as well, and I've worked with them a few times now, and and you know, so why not also something else to do right in the morning, given that a live comedian, there's not much else going on.
Speaker 5: Thank you for making it feel like you're ticking something off to do during the day, giving us a call.
Speaker 18: Deal, rook mate, because straight up this, I'm going back into an anxiety attack of watching session. I've been watching Succession and I honestly it's so addictive, but I'm in a panic mode the whole time. Who knew corporate meetings were going to be that exciting. Like I used to be an accountant and I got fired from my accounting to job because I fell asleep so many times at the desk.
Speaker 5: I do you like Succession? Its great, isn't it. We we love that show. It's back next month, the new season.
Speaker 18: Oh my god. Yeah, So that's why I'm doing a big catch up. And it's a bit too much to watch back to back. And you know, I suppose it's that thing is there's so many different little things to do well around in our lockdown because I'm here in Melbourne as well, and I heard you guys giving little shout outs to non human shout outs before. Would you permit me to do one for me please as well? Of course I'd love to shout out. I have a thing Christian called a puzzle board, which is basically, now that I'm thirty six, apparently I'm prone to back injury, so I can't do jigsaw puzzles on a regular table anymore. And I had a winger about it on Instagram and someone's a friend of mine. She said, her stepdad makes this table. There's only three that he's ever made, and I have one of them, which is basically like a if you can imagine a musician sort of yeah, you know the sheet music where they place it on that, Yeah, Theiger version of that. But it's really low and it sort of rolls over into the couch, so you can lean on back in the couch and it just comes over you like a trade table on an airplane.
Speaker 5: This is the sort of thing that someone who's like a hundred might use.
Speaker 18: I know exactly this is what this is like. I thought Vastuar was grim right there, being a single man, a single man in a one bedroom apartment for one hundred and eleven days straight right this year. I have a girlfriend, but she's in wa so obviously Mark McGowan has been you know, c blocking us for the love.
Speaker 6: You're the real victim of this. You are the real victim genitals.
Speaker 18: I suddenly remember what timeslot were when I was on my end.
Speaker 9: Thanks for covering me.
Speaker 6: Then I can't start thinking about this puzzle board.
Speaker 5: At first, when you said it was because of the bad back, I thought you meant it was a puzzle board where you know, when you're lying face down through that doughnut hole on a massage table, you did it through that little.
Speaker 18: That actually seems a lot to make more, a lot more.
Speaker 6: I might take that on Shark Tank.
Speaker 18: How can I be the model? You know, don't worry about he means an out of work comedian.
Speaker 5: You're a comedian there, and so what are you doing other than your what is the puzzle that you're doing, by the way at the moment, because if you got the puzzle.
Speaker 18: Actually it's even sad. And the puzzle I'm doing is a a the World Atlas because I can't travel the world.
Speaker 6: Bleak and sad about that.
Speaker 18: Yes, so many things a blink about it. It's fifteen hundred pieces and the majority of it is just oceans and it's not like it's like different scades of ocean. It's just like a blue And also they've got the entire border is blank white. So at the moment, I spent the last three hours of the last few days just trying to get the border right because it's just all white pieces.
Speaker 5: This is all this is how was a over the border control So being careful you could start an international incident.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. There's a lot of exciting things happening. I'm actually waiting for my Australian story very shortly.
Speaker 6: I'm sure once they've heard all this, they'll be called in today. Deal, don't you worry about that now? And what I alse are you doing them?
Speaker 5: Because obviously you must be missing live because till rook, if you ever get the chance to see him live and we can and we will get out of this. But you aren't amazing. You can of stand up deal with really really great style.
Speaker 18: Thank you, guys.
Speaker 9: I appreciate that it is.
Speaker 18: Actually, it's so funny that you have Jack post on the over there highjacket because I think there was a time when I actually, you know, and you know, his his hobby show that he does sometimes that I was actually an accountant at the time when I called in and I hid under the desk when I called in on that show. And I think it was a three four months later that I could inspired to do a stand up So I think I partly have Jack to thank for it, because here in his love cone through the phone line was like, I'm okay, maybe I can do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Deal sent me the audio of that. He called Haim Shnani probably more than ten years ago, now, hey.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it was twenty ten.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And when he called in, you say, Deale Rock accountant.
Speaker 18: Well, actually no, I think the whole gag was the fact I said Dylan, they thought I was Bill, and then I just kind of, you know, went on a whole rant about the difference between Dill and Bill, and now the phone line should be clearer.
Speaker 5: Well, everyone, we're asking who calls him? Right, We're asking what song is the kind of guilty pleasure? The song I listened to when there's no one else around?
Speaker 6: What is it for you?
Speaker 18: So I'm a massive, massive eminem fan, like I'm obsessed like with you know, I watched YouTube clips about his lyric breakdowns. So obviously my guilty pleasure is calm chamelion by culture.
Speaker 6: Makes sense, I mean, listen to that.
Speaker 18: I dare anyone. Okay, if you're in a bad mood, obviously not a seriously bad mood, but if you're in a little bit of a mental fun what's that time on? And it's so hard to it's so hard to, like, you know, not not not put yourself in a good one.
Speaker 6: I had to.
Speaker 18: Preface that by saying, you know, not in a seriously psychologist officer playing I'm a Chamelion in a waiting room.
Speaker 5: Ah, Dear, you know what, you can kill the show anytime. It has been a joy hearing from you this morning. Seriously, you really really would have made a lot of people smile this morning. We've loved having you on the show.
Speaker 18: Thank you so much for having me Oliver, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: And are you a comedian? I didn't know.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: This is an amazing story. Today is World Crime Prevention Day. Inmates Rikers Island and famous infamous New York Prison last week were left to run the notorious New York prison for two days when the entire staff of Correctional Office has just refused to show up there on strike. Eighty prisoners took up the roles from guards after the phones, even facilitating court appearances and zoom calls on Tuesday and Wednesday last week. This is astonishing, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Everybody got granted parole.
Speaker 6: Everyone was innocent.
Speaker 5: So today's time waste for you is crime songs, My sweet fraud Silver, Josh Grobin's got a criminal song shop Lift Me Up?
Speaker 4: That is gold, sivil plus, Don't make Me.
Speaker 5: Steal It, contraband on their own smart sivil Plus, Oh dear you love the song Peanut Butter Jelly Time.
Speaker 6: I do know it Peanut Butter Jaylly Time.
Speaker 4: God Plus.
Speaker 5: Supposed girl's got a criminal song? Yeah, yeah, that's right if you want to be my mugger.
Speaker 6: Gold, thank you, Jackie boy. What have you got? Criminal songs?
Speaker 4: Beautiful song by Elton John Vandall.
Speaker 6: In the Wind, Straight in there with the Gold, very.
Speaker 4: Good, breaking into Sandman Yep, DANTEU Silman, Crime after Crime, Sidney Law, pa is good Gold, You got to fight for your right to remain silent. Gold and we love. We're big fans on the show The Scamman, of course. Yeah, watch out for the scam man.
Speaker 6: Oh he's a scam man. Gold Plus.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Christian O Carl's Show podcast.
Speaker 5: Today's Time Wasteter, Criminal songs, Jackie Boy, You're ready tomorrow?
Speaker 6: I am hot off the bress.
Speaker 5: Some pizza here, Karma, Crime, Alien Gold, Peter, Bohemian Rap, Sheete.
Speaker 4: Very clever, Gold plus.
Speaker 6: Very good pizza. Are you related to Peter? I just read out, No one needs to know. Dude looks kind of shady.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't it be more unlikely that Pete would have related to Peter?
Speaker 5: Gosh, it's the same guy. They're both called Peter. Dude look kind of shady.
Speaker 4: Silver.
Speaker 6: What else do you know either of the two pizza.
Speaker 5: Yellow mug Maarine Silver plus.
Speaker 6: You almost came off, Daniel, I liked.
Speaker 5: It you Frauda, No Gold, Matthews great, you can call me Al Katraz Gold, Withering Heist Gold Plus.
Speaker 6: Why don't Tony? That's very smart? Achy? Break an hour of this place? Gold?
Speaker 5: These are really good Amber, Well done, Who Get the Drugs Out? Silvere, Ungiled, Melodee, Silvan rob the Kasbar, Gold, part Time Robber, Gold Heist Heist Baby.
Speaker 6: Silva mamby number five years of good behavior Gold. Let's end it there. Well done.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 5: Today has been day number seven on Who's Current Christian? Three more left to go as they're racing towards the deadline nine am this Friday. If you get your celebrities to give us a call, try and win your share fifty thousand dollars. Twenty five thousand dollars goes to the winning celebrity, as voted for by you guys, for the charity of their choice, and you get twenty five thousand dollars as well for getting them on the show Busy Day this morning. Here's what happened.
Speaker 15: Calling Christian Christian, who is Matt cost You might le me from the singer Bruss.
Speaker 5: You must be like me, a man who's in your middle ages. Now, how do you think it be touring the world as a middle aged early middle aged?
Speaker 6: Gentlemen?
Speaker 9: Go on my Instagram and if you tell me I look my age, then I will call back again. Not to the proper shout of you Southy London boy.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at a picture of you right now on your Instagram feed. You are a banger and a banger you are.
Speaker 9: You're not a bad yourself a farm as a bird. I mean, I'm being honest. Whole winter's the evening. You never know.
Speaker 11: Good morning Christian, to focus on calling.
Speaker 6: What is the song you love listening to on your own?
Speaker 11: Oh my god? Well here's for Fears.
Speaker 6: Shout this is a great song.
Speaker 9: Tim, it's just shouting.
Speaker 18: Good moning Christian. This is comedian Bill Rob Jay singer speaking. I haven't been Christian called a puzzle board.
Speaker 5: Isn't that the sort of thing that someone who's like a hundred might use?
Speaker 18: I thought fast you was a group, right, a single man in a one bedroom apartment for one hundred and eleven days straight right this year. I have a girlfriend, but she's in wa so obviously Mark McCown has been, you know, sea blocking us for the life.
Speaker 6: You're the real victor of this. You are the real victim. Two rooms genitals. Who's calling Christian back?
Speaker 1: Tomorrow from six The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast