Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast last week that long Welcome TV Reload listeners. My name is Benjamin Norris, and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment and very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. Each episode, I find guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows they're currently making so that you can hear all the exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a comment on your chosen podcast platform and I'll make sure you feel as included in the production of this show as possible. On this episode, I have Asha Scott, who is currently starring in season one of Below Deck Down Under, which is now being seen on Channel seven's new channel, Bravo Asia. Scott made her debut appearance as chief stew in Below Deck down Under, and this was after successfully completing two seasons as stewardess in Below Deck Mediterranean. The series chronicles the lives of crew members who work and reside aboard one hundred and fifty foot plus super yacht during a charted season in Australia, which consists of filming for about six weeks, with the cast temporarily replacing the conventional crew. I described this series as Housewives on a Boat or vander Pump Rules at Sea, but it does have some really entertaining insights into the world of what it's like to be on one of those super yachts. We will find out what Asia really thinks of filming the show, how Asia was cast and found herself as one of New Zealand's most famous reality TV exports. I particularly love Andy Comen, so I'm going to ask a lot about what it's really like to work with him behind the scenes. Plus, we'll get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of Below Deck down Under, which will be right up your flagpole if you love this type of reality anyway, let's bring Asia into the podcast, and I really hope you enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 2: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm very very well, thank you. I'm having a great Wait, how are you going?
Speaker 2: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've been below Deck for the last few weeks getting excited to chat with you today.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thank you. That's so kind of you to say. Have you been enjoying it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I absolutely love it, and I'm excited for Australia to get on board with this because kind of has this new home on Channel seven.
Speaker 4: Yeahes, They're weird for you guys to suddenly see your own country on such a popular show.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and interestingly enough, I hadn't actually watched any of the Below Decks, and I found myself at dinner with Hannah and I didn't really know who she was, and so she was sort of explaining the show, and it's another world.
Speaker 4: It's really really cool and I feel so I honestly feel so grateful that I'm a part of it.
Speaker 3: It's just the best thing that's ever happened to me.
Speaker 1: Really well, Australia's now can obviously have more access with you than ever before. How do you describe this show to people who haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: I guess it's a reality show that follows the lives of the crew on Soupiochts, and I think that the reason it does so well is well a because soupi yachting is getting so popular that everyone, I guarantee everyone you talk to in Australia New Zealand knows someone that has gone and worked on the super yachts.
Speaker 3: It's almost a rite of passage now. And I think that it.
Speaker 4: Also just does so well because there's something in it for everyone. You know, you've got the sex, the hot people, the drama, but you've also got the tourism, the beautiful views, You've got the technical side of how how are yacht works? How do you do all the lines? There's just something for every interest.
Speaker 1: You get stopped a lot. I mean I'm assuming that you would now get stopped a lot around the world. I mean it's one of the most watch shows. What's the most common question that you get asked from? You know, people that approach you on the street.
Speaker 3: Do you know what? Still?
Speaker 4: To this day, so many people are like, what happened to you and Jack? And the thing is, half the time they asked me that when my boy's standing next to me, and you know, it's not that he minds, but it's like people really loved that story.
Speaker 3: People really really.
Speaker 4: Loved that whole thing. And I don't blame them. We were pretty funny and season four was so entertaining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we're all just way too invested and we forget that your life does in between the seasons.
Speaker 4: I know, and I think that people often do forget because I, like, you know below, Dick has done so well and it's airing on channels globally all the time, and you forget that with the reruns, someone might have only just watched season four for the first time, so you can understand why people still get caught up in these old stories.
Speaker 1: Is the Australian series. Is this a good jumping off point for people who haven't watched the shoot or do people need to go back and watch some of your other seasons.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's one of the beauty of it is that every season you generally start with a whole new cast, a new country, because they do a different country every time. Well, usually a whole new cast, except for when you have returnees myself and Jason, But it's.
Speaker 3: Just one of those ones. It's like Coronation Street.
Speaker 4: You can kind of jump into any episode and kind of figure out what's going on, which is the beauty of it because you never know what's airing people that are commitment fobes. With programs you can kind of jump and wherever, jump out wherever. But I think the cool thing about Australia is that you can watch it and see the growth of everyone because even myself season two, compared to season one, I feel like I was a totally different chief show and I was so proud of that kind of growth arc that I had. But I couldn't get there if I hadn't learned what I learned in season one. And I really like that people can follow that journey with me.
Speaker 1: I mean, this show's a real guilty pleasure for people. And I'm assuming that you'd watched a lot of shows from Bravo before, but what was your favorite reality show before joining Below Deck?
Speaker 4: You know what, this is terrible because I well, I was working on the boats for so long that I actually have barely watched TV all through my twenties.
Speaker 3: But I used to the Amazing Race.
Speaker 4: And I know that it's terrible of me to say because it's not a Bravo show, but I just have always been into that whole travel aspect, which is why I.
Speaker 3: Think people love blow Dick so much.
Speaker 4: It's so cool seeing different countries and cultures through a show.
Speaker 1: Someone's going to probably listen to this podcast now and approach you to do a celebrity version of that show, which you would be great.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, please someone give me on that.
Speaker 1: How much of blow Dick from around the World had you seen before originally joining that Mediterranean series? I mean, were you familiar with it before joining it?
Speaker 4: No, not at all, And I think I honestly think that's why I did. One of the reasons why I did so well because my friend told me about So. You know, I've always been interested in doing some sort of reality show. I've always thought it would be so fun. And one of my friends actually found the contact for the casting agent for me, And even when I'd applied for it, I was going through the interviews. I think most normal people would kind of do a bit of research and see what the show is about. But I'm very impol so she'll be right kind of person, So I never bothered looking into it. Even when I walked into filming, I didn't have to watch any episodes, and I didn't really watch an until afterwards, and it wasn't until the show came out and I started getting stopped on the street all the time. I was like, hold on, is this like a real big show or something?
Speaker 3: And then I realized that it was huge.
Speaker 4: So I don't know, I was kind of glad that I did it that way because I just think that you're so much more authentic when you've got no idea what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's probably the better way to go into it.
Speaker 1: I think if you had any stranger danger or you had seen it before, you'd probably pretend to be like some of the people that you've been on the show, and it might take away from being your authentic self, you know.
Speaker 4: Well, and there's the thing, like I don't want to name any specific names, but I have worked with a couple of people in the past on the seasons where they obviously have like watched them all and they've decided how they want to come across, and it always ends up finding them in the like, you know, blowing up in their face because they people get confused about who they are. Because you can't maintain this kind of facade for a whole season. It's just hard to really get to know the genuine you when you're saying what you think you should say, or you start to speak and then realize the cameras are there and kind of be like, oh, don't worry, don't worry. And it's so much bitter just to be authentically who you are and people can take it or leave it, and if you're not happy with yourself, it's kind of sad.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's why you're so good on this show, because like right from the start from me watching you your time on this show, it actually does feel very much like fly on the Wall type reality TV, which is the reality TV that connects with audiences. And I think as soon as you start curating how you want to sound or what you want to do, reality TV produces will tell you that if you're trying to be something you're not, the disconnect will be obvious to audiences.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing, Like people aren't dumb, and when they watch these like when they watch shows, they can tell when you're being genuine or not. And as soon as they sniff about that you're putting something on, they're going to you know, even if you're being amazing, they're going to turn on you.
Speaker 3: So just be yourself and be happy with it.
Speaker 1: Well. The other thing I thought was interesting is you know, now that you've done a few different seasons and a few different places around the world, do they different How do they differ in any way? I mean, does the American one different to the Australian one? You know, like how do these shows compare?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm not really sure.
Speaker 4: With the regular below deck, it seems like it's pretty on point with that part of the world.
Speaker 3: But I just always explain it like the med is the med is more.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the home of super yachting, and that's where you've got your very strict, very high end service. The client towlel tends to be much more demure and withdrawn, and you know, that's kind of where I was raised in yachting and where I did all of my training, whereas in Australia it's much more laid back. Like the clients always want. They're like, come come into our hike with us, come and do our walk with us, come to the jet skiser that they I want to get you involved.
Speaker 3: They're very relaxed.
Speaker 4: You still make sure you offer that high end service, but everything just has a much more relaxed feel about it.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like there's a preference, like, do you prefer the high level energy and maybe more stressful environment of working overseas than working here in Australia. I mean, what do you prefer now?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's hard to say, because I feel like in Australia my real personality can come out a lot more Like I have a lot more fun with the guests, a lot more back and forth. You know this one dinner, I even told one of the clients to shut the fuck up because I was talking and even thought it was hilarious. And you can really just push the boundaries of that kind of friendship professional line. And I love that because that's where I thrive. But then I also I really love in the mid too, because I was trained in that very strict black and white, high end service and sometimes I do miss that strictness, but I I say, I think I'm much better at entertaining people, so I'm glad that that part can come out in Australia.
Speaker 1: I always want to ask people that are on big shows like this whether or not you watch them back, and you know, is that something you do like Once these episodes are out for the general public to watch. Do you feel like you need to watch it to understand what they've seen? Like, what's your relationship with the show once it's gone to weir?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? So when the when the show is airing, we.
Speaker 3: Get Cyndi episode like just before it.
Speaker 4: So so many people think that we must get Synny episodes well beforehand and we can say parts that we like and parts that we don't like. But it's really we don't have any say, and I think that's part of why we get it like just beforehand, so we can But I think it's really important to watch it just to know what everyone else is seeing and what their opinion of you might be.
Speaker 2: What about like embarrassing things that you've seen?
Speaker 1: Do you get stressed if you've watched the episode, say a day before the public sees it, and you go and try and write to the producers and say can you not show that? Do you ever get worried about what people have seen? And maybe what's an example of something you've done on the show that you think, God, I wish I wouldn't have done that.
Speaker 4: No, you know, I really don't regret anything. I'm such an open book and I am who I am, and it's really interesting because I think that I am one of the very few people on the show that think that way, because I've had lots of different casts message me and call me and they're like, I'm freaking out, Like one of my episodes is coming out, I'm so stressed, Like how do you handle this?
Speaker 3: How do you do it so well? I'm so scared how everyone's going to take me.
Speaker 4: And the thing that I just say to everyone, which is what I live by, is I'm like, if you have got your family, your friends, your partner, the people who have always known you, that love you no matter what, then who gives a shit what anyone else in the world thinks?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: It's like you don't know them.
Speaker 4: You don't know Barbara and Kansas sitting in her lounge judging you.
Speaker 3: So I just it's just.
Speaker 4: And also the thing is as well as I don't, I never feel sorry for him, because I'm like, you literally signed up to something that films you constantly and then shows it to the whole world. So you sign into this knowingly. So people that start to because there have been again I won't say names, but there have been many people who have messaged the producers angrily like, why do you do this and why do you put this in? And it's like you are you literally put yourself in this position. So in my mind it's like whatever goes goes, and I don't I don't really care that much.
Speaker 1: I've just been watching This Morning You with Andy Cohen on Watch What Happens Live. You know, I'm obsessed with Watch What Happens Live. I love that show.
Speaker 4: I love him, I adore him. I think that he's the king of Bravo.
Speaker 3: I really don't know.
Speaker 4: How he keeps up with everyone with all the shows so well, and you know, he probably is a bit more housewife leaning, but that's absolutely fine. I know that he loves Below Dick. He thinks it's a great show, and I just always have thought he's really really good at his job, and I admire that.
Speaker 1: I love how passionate it he is about these women from the Real Housewives series. I mean, it's quite last he really does, and I think that makes it so much more enjoyable. And he kind of is the voice for people and says what to these women, what we are thinking at home? He liked that in real life is because I can imagine he would just be the same on camera as he is off camera.
Speaker 4: I don't get that much time to chat with him when we're doing Watchmapons Lives because between ad breaks and that, in every ad break, he's kind of going over what he has to say Nick, so you know, you can have a quick chat term afterwards.
Speaker 3: And he's definitely the same on and off camera.
Speaker 4: But I feel like, because I feel like he's become more he'll call you out if you've been an asshole, and so I feel like the people that don't like him are the people that have fucked up in some way and he's called them out, and then I think he's the asshole. But it's like he's just calling out something that you've done in some other situation.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the reason why we love him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I love watching it. It's so entertaining.
Speaker 2: What have we got to look forward from? You coming up?
Speaker 1: What's happening next? I mean, it seems like your life is way more exciting than mine. I just want to know what's happening for So.
Speaker 4: We have filmed below Dig Down Under season two. So my next thing is preparing for that airring, which hopefully will be sometime soon in the States and then I couldn't say for anywhere else. I'm sorry, but I'm just really excited for that to come out and for everyone to see what magic was created in season two because season one, you know, I just I did find it really stressful being my first season in that role. And season two, I feel like I kind of feel like the season four Asha came back but still being the professional chiefs too.
Speaker 3: That I am, but I feel like I.
Speaker 4: Had more of a chance for the silly, for the silly and to come out because I was just much less stressed than last season.
Speaker 3: I was more used to the role.
Speaker 1: But can you tease us? Can you tease us something of what's going to happen in season two?
Speaker 2: We want to know.
Speaker 4: Well, I can tell you that season one I think was the first season with absolutely no hookups, and there will definitely be hookups in season two. There's going to be some drama and there that I don't think has ever happened on the show ever before. It's just so unpredictable and so up and down, and it's one of those seasons with every episode he was going to be like what what?
Speaker 3: So I can't why?
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got my popcorn out. I've got my red wine. I'm ready to go. Everyone who joins the podcast gets asked this last question. What is something from behind the scenes, something that we as an audience won't see that you can kind of give us as a behind the scenes secret on making this show.
Speaker 4: Oh behind the scenes secret. So basically, we fly in and we've got about five day, five or six days. We were kind of hanging around, getting used to the time zone, meeting the producers, all of that kind of thing, but we can't see each other. We're sequested in our hotel room because they don't they want all of our reactions of ours walking on to be real. And I guess he's something that I could say is when we come on the boat, it's the first time that we're seeing the boat and meeting the crew, and it genuinely is you join and you pick up charter the next day.
Speaker 3: So it's so stressful because you don't know how anyone works, what anyone's personalities are like.
Speaker 4: And then it's six weeks of back to back nine charters, and then you finish and you do a day of filming promos and then you all buger her off.
Speaker 1: And fly home, return to your normal life, which is the same as on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly. So it's full on.
Speaker 4: It's full on, and afterwards you need like two weeks of just lying absolutely still, just to recover mento physically.
Speaker 3: It's very intense.
Speaker 1: Well, Asha, I just want to say thank you so much for your time. I'm loving you on this show. I think you do a fantastic job.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I really really appreciate it.