Speaker 1: It's two days before the opening night of Groundhog Day on Broadway. It feels like everything in your career has been leading up to this moment. But then, ten minutes before the end of one of the preview shows, you tear your acl It's a major injury and you literally can't walk. That's what happened to Broadway star Andy Carl who is now currently appearing in Melbourne repeating his performance quite literally many times a night as Phil Connor in the Tim Minchin musical Groundhog Day. So how did Andy get through a Broadway star's worst nightmare? And what does he do to maintain peak vocal and physical fitness, And what piece of advice did he receive from Sylvester Stallone that literally changed the way he thought about how he approaches his theater performances. My name is doctor Amantha Imbert. I'm an organizational psychologist and founder of Behavior change consultancy Inventium, and this is how I work a show about how to help you get so much more out of the hours in your day. So Andy is currently starring in Groundhog Day the musical in Melbourne, doing eight shows a week, and I wanted to know what physical and vocal routines does he have in place to give him the energy to bring one hundred percent to every performance.
Speaker 2: I think you know, inherent in the nature of theater and specifically musical theater, repetition is paramount.
Speaker 3: It's eight shows a week. It is a lot of grind.
Speaker 2: So you try to get into the repetition of how you can judge how well you're going to be that day, whether at eighty percent or one hundred and twenty percent as far as vocally physically, so there is the gym. There is vocal warm up, So I do a very strict vocal warm up every day. But I also then go sing three very different types of songs specifically for this show because it is so varied in its vocal identity. So I'll sing a little bit of Sinatra, and then I'll sing a little Occubis, and then I'll sing a regular old school tune called Wonderful from.
Speaker 3: And it gets your gun.
Speaker 2: It is so I just can utilize every inch of my vocal range, because this show does take a lot, and I do that every day.
Speaker 3: I need to get through to give me some excitement.
Speaker 2: It really gets my adrenaline going at the beginning and it gets me. It gets me excited to say the words and be active and know how flexible I am for certain moves that I'll do on stage because it's very physically active as well.
Speaker 1: Do I ask you Andy on caffeine because that's kind of shocking me. And I'm sitting here drinking a coffee and it's so delicious. I love coffee. You're in Melbourne, Oh, I've had your coffee here.
Speaker 3: I felt like I was hallucinating at one point.
Speaker 1: So I've heard with caffeine. I feel like I've heard this from seeingers that caffeine restricts your vocal core. Is that right? So I'm like, how are you having the caffeine during the show and not having that have a negative impact on your voice?
Speaker 2: Large amounts of water hydration. I didn't do that the first time I did this show back in twenty sixteen. I didn't drink enough water, and I'm now healthfully hydrating. I think it's good for anybody who speaks a lot and well sings a lot. You know, for any of your listeners who are speakers who have to do lots of speeches.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you do a lot of speaking.
Speaker 2: You realize the caffeine's great, but you got to have that glass of water nearby.
Speaker 1: So you're singing those three songs. Are there any little vocal warm up hacks that like me, immortals like me can take. And what I mean by that, like one hack that I have picked up from performers is the importance. And I use this because I've recorded a couple of audiobooks before which are just so vocally demanding, where you're in a studio for a four hour shift and you're trying to maintain energy for every minute of those four hours and speaking and reading constantly. And I got told, like, get a little cup of water and a straw and blow bubbles. And that's like a little hack that I picked up. But what are some little hacks that you can share with me.
Speaker 3: I've heard about the straw. I've never utilized it.
Speaker 2: I've only strictly stayed with pretty classical warm ups as far as scales. However, I did discover during one showed Jersey Boys that if I can warm my voice by going as deep as I possibly can, because you know, the show is very high, but if you extend the ranges of your voice and really make sure that you know how deep you can go and then start building up and going as high. It really gives the flexibility of your entire vocal cord. Your vocal cords are a muscle, and they do need exercise, and they do need to stay lubricated and loose as well, So it's really important to extend the upper range and the lower range.
Speaker 1: There any exercises that you do to improve the fitness of your diaphragm and just breath work and he routines around that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly, crunches, you do those.
Speaker 2: I find all my physical activity just inherently helps everything about my voice, everything my posture, everything about my ability to present myself well on stage. I think Phil Connor's the role that I'm playing, changes posture due to the circumstances that he's in. I certainly stand pretty stoic in the beginning and then proud when I'm delivering a weatherman speech, and when he falls into the repetition.
Speaker 3: Of each day that he is now.
Speaker 2: Finding to be a nightmare, I start to hunt over as Phil and sort of lose my ability to stand up straight and be presentable and powerful. So it's different variations on a character that really affect the way I speak and really affect the way that I talk, so in order to keep you know the power of your voice, making sure that all that your entire body has the ability to be flexible and strong.
Speaker 3: So do those.
Speaker 2: Crunches lift those weights. I'm not saying you have to be a bodybuilder. I find weightlifting to be very helpful, and yoga I do every other day. So elasticity and strength and power is where I come from.
Speaker 1: I want to ask about when your health isn't one hundred percent. And I asked this because last week I had a cold and I had several keynote speeches that I had to deliver, and I was so fearful of losing my voice through pushing through. And I want to know. The role that you play in Groundhog Day is so vocally and physically demanding. What do you do where you feel like maybe you're coming down with something, or maybe you're at the tail end and you know, maybe you've taken a few performances off but still lingering, and you're still kind of wondering, do I have the vocal strength to do this? What is some interesting hacks that you've picked up to help get over something?
Speaker 2: Getting over something is I prescribe never getting into something.
Speaker 1: How do you do that?
Speaker 3: How do you do it?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, please keep your vitamins going. I've learned to, you know, do the vitamin C. I mean, as humans, we don't absorb vitamin C from food like animals do, so we have to take our supplements. The supplementation I think is the way to good health.
Speaker 3: And exercise.
Speaker 2: Of course, I think exercise also helps you get out of something as well.
Speaker 3: If you do suffer from a cold and you feel.
Speaker 2: Good enough to do some physical exercise, it does clear up a lot of things. It does help your body repair and certainly gets the blood going in order to repair. If you're spending an entire day sitting in bed feeling sick, your voice isn't going to come back quick. So if you can give yourself a little time to just take a walk or something to make it before a speech, if you're feeling like you're just getting over a cold, take a nice, healthy walk and keep hydrated. So but I really prescribe trying to not get sick.
Speaker 1: Something that the Evening Standards said about you is that they said he uses star quality. I got to say when I saw groundhog day, and I'm going back to see it again because I loved it that much. Yes, yeah, yeah, I'm coming back in March. The presence that you have on stage is just it's amazing. And I want to understand that those of us that do present or even run meetings and need to command a room in some way. If you were to teach someone like whatever it is that is going on for you unconsciously or consciously, where would you start? How do you do that?
Speaker 2: I suffer from not having a lot of confidence in my life, and certainly once you go through the ebbs and flows of being an actor, where you're working and then you're not working, and you sort of question, you know, am I confident enough to survive this business? And then you get moments where you do have to stand up in the center and be in the spotlight and oose that confidence and oose that ability. I mean that comes from repetition of being able to find your.
Speaker 3: Skill set what works for you.
Speaker 2: I did Rocky the Musical on Broadway years ago, and Sylvester Stallone was involved, so he came to a few previews and rehearsals and things like that. He knew I could do the show he knew I was like humble enough, strong enough, all this kind of stuff. He just literally said one day I was like, all right, now own it. Now own the part, so take it as your own. So your intention really has to come from within. So you have to truly believe the I guess the indoctrine of the words of the text and take them to your heart and to your soul as soon as you can connect there to your yourself and to your beliefs or your strengths. All makes it much easier to look confident and to ooze a quality. I also have a bunch of tricks in my bag just being an actor for so long, I have dance skills. I have the confidence to move freely through the space and feel confident. I'm also highly aware of things. I'm sure I have a bit of OCD from doing shows for so long on repeat. That is fun for me, and I can play with that because I do know the marks in which I have to hit, and then I can play with all these things. So there's a bit of play knowledge OCD and confidence and owning it and dance skills. So yeah, I would I would suggest anybody like take a few dance skills or just try and dance. Everybody's doing it now on TikTok. It's all working out very well for people. I think it's a skill that at least frees your body and gives you a little bit more confidence to stand in front of people.
Speaker 1: Continuing on with this performance, state, what are some other memorable pieces of advice that you've received from directors or acting coaches or even just fellow performers that have fundamentally changed how you do or think about performing.
Speaker 2: There's so many of those stories in my life. I would say the first is a director when I was in college. She was directing Greece and I was playing the lead Danny and local show in Baltimore, Maryland. But he turned to me one day and he's like, you know, you could do this. He basically said I could try a career out as an actors and from there I immediately took off. I was like, got it, that's what I wanted to hear. Somebody gave me a little bit of fire under my belly to do it. So I try to do that for other people as well. If I really see something in them and they're young and they're impressionable, It's like you can add something to their lives by saying, you know, you're pretty good at this. I mean you might want to try, and that could change the course of their life. And I think that did it for me. And through the years, as I've gotten to know directors and actors, you look for the people that inspire you their energy. Jerry Mitchell, who does a lot of Broadway shows, from Hairspray to Illegally Blonde to Doubleware's Product, he has an undying energy and a love for this art form, which it is an art form, musical theater. He has an energy to try to make the best of anything that he's working on and provide that energy for everybody that's around him. So I do think that our energy affects everyone around us. Alison Janney, we did a nine to five for the musical in Los Angeles years ago and on Broadway, and you realize, if you could establish yourself as the lead actor and provide happiness, joy, show everybody your efforts work hard, basically everyone will follow suit.
Speaker 3: The whole group is guided by the energy of their leader.
Speaker 1: Now I feel like an obvious question to ask, even you are in Groundhog Day, which involves repeating the same thing the same day, many, many times. How you keep it fresh? I was at a Christmas party chatting to a performer and he'd been doing The mouse Trap for the whole of the year, and I was asking him the same question, and I liked what he said in that he said, but every night is a different show because it's a different audience and it's a completely new experience. And really I love that answer because I, you know, the certain keynotes that I deliver as part of my work, and sometimes before a keynote, I'm just not feeling it, and I'm like, oh my goodness, this is the hundredth time I've delivered this, and I have to somehow mentally reframe the situation. And I'd love to know, like, what is going through your mind, particularly when you're not feeling it. How do you get yourself into the zone and make it exciting when it's like the seven hundredth performance of Groundhog Day that you've done in your career.
Speaker 2: It is a fresh audience every night, So there's an undying passion for an audience to understand what I understand, which is how funny things are. And the sum up parts will eventually tell this story, which I find so profound, which is why I'm doing it so much. It's another level of repetition to perform a show that is about repetition, and the philosophy behind it is, if you are stuck in the same thing, doing it over and over again, what can you find just by sheer storytelling. We end in a place of finding presence and happiness in the moment. And in order for me to get there, I have to have the intention of the entire story or I'm not going to end in the place that is what the story is really about. You know, I get to be this guy who I believe. Australians have a good dark sense of humor too. They really love a sort of villain that will get his justice. You know, why not let that, especially as an actor, why not let that be your story? What if you're not feeling great this day, you can start your keynote speeches like you know what.
Speaker 3: I woke up this.
Speaker 2: Morning not feeling like I wanted to be here specifically. But I'm here because I believe in everything that I'm talking about. So it is very human of ourselves to not feel something, particularly one hundred percent each day. But the repetition that is inherent in this piece, and the repetition of me repeating the same performance of a person who's repeating the same day is kind of a giant philosophical joke to me, and I still get a kick out of it.
Speaker 1: You're always thinking of new things and trying new things within the show and making really generous offers to the cast that you're working with. Can you tell me a bit about that.
Speaker 2: I think, well, one part of it is I've been doing, you know, in the theater for so long. Did I just say the theater is or a third person? I've been doing theater for so long that you realize you can really find the joy in imperfections. Things go wrong, But I enjoy the imperfections. And this show A Grand Ode has so many things, so many characters that have so many effects on each character, and each movement they do is being repeated, and if they do something different each day, I'm looking for all the imperfections. But I also can and choose to go into certain with the same intention of what Phil Connors has he goes into a scene where he knows he's winning to repeat. I can go in with the same intention. But I can also play with different lines and variations onlines and activities that I'm doing in order to really tell the idea of I got this audience, guess what I'm going to get it over on this person. Because I'm repeating the same day, they know what's going on. So I'll dig into it a little bit and it'll be a nice playful moment between me and the audience. Say you're doing speeches for the hundredth time, I think in repetition, finding the intention behind everything that you're doing, and maybe you have a section of speech that you're digging into and want to really tell that story and make sure it's clear it has to come from the heart.
Speaker 3: Believe in it and others will believe in it as well.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Andy soon where he shares what happened when he got struck by a major physical injury just two days before the Broadway opening night of Groundhog Day. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work and live, I write a weekly newsletter where I share practical and simple to apply tips to improve your life. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot substack dot com. That's Amantha dot substack dot com. I want to come back to Rocky and you'd actually been picked by Sylvester Stallone to play Rocky, which is pretty crazy. And during that show I heard you literally got punched in the face during the show. What did you do to get yourself into the physical health that you needed to be in to play that role and maintain that during the season.
Speaker 3: I chose suffering up seven am in the morning.
Speaker 2: I got a trainer immediately, even before I booked the show. I had put my manifestation I suppose on I'm getting that.
Speaker 3: There's nothing that's going to keep me from it.
Speaker 2: So up every morning at seven working out, then going to boxing training, and then and then doing the actual performance. It shows a week with a twenty minute fight at the end and a ten minute fight in the beginning, and training montages and big songs. It was a constant bit of suffering, but that was part of the Rocky experience. Rocky he's a down and out boxer, He was nobody and he got a shot. I was at the time living the same experience. There was a first big role for me and chosen my silestist alone and a giant amount of physical activity and changing my voice, and you know, as I was talking down here, that was the entire time, you know what was doing my you know, really living in the character and living in his shoes, and he had his turtles and his little abovement and all that. So it was just a matter of getting into the boxer mentality. One of the lines which is you know Rocky's line from Rocky Balboa, he was giving a speech to his son.
Speaker 3: You know, it doesn't matter how hard you get hit, is how hard you.
Speaker 2: Get hit and keep moving forward, how much you could take and keep moving forward, And that's how winning is done.
Speaker 3: That rings true all the time to me. There is a matter of work, whether it's mental or physical, and facing the challenge and knowing that you can do anything in this world if you put your mind to it and face the challenge.
Speaker 2: And you may not, you know, you may not be the winner at the end, but the experience really is the journey.
Speaker 1: So he said, that was your first major role, What practically speaking did you do to improve your chances of getting what seems like it was a bit of a dream role.
Speaker 2: Rocky came along where it was an audition, and I said, are you kidding me? They're making a rocky of the musical. That sounds like a terrible idea, a terrible idea. How was this guy gonna sing? Then I got the audition, and then I watched the movie and I realized the intimate love story and facing against all odds the challenges, and I was like, wait a minute, this has something, This is something really important to say. And Sylvester Smolane had been wanting to make a musical of it for like twelve years before it actually got there. I dug in and I auditioned for it, and you know, I tried to show myself off physically as well as like vocality, and tried to be in that mind frame and certainly in the mind frame of somebody who's just trying to make it Somewhere. It became locked in my head as I need to do this, so I need to figure out any way that I can. I will give the best, clear, absolutely truthful a Jay that I possibly can, and I will find the voice. And so it was about practicing the voice and changing the voice and getting it down here. And I was talking to my dog all the time, just like you, trying to grab onto that and latch onto it. And how it felt natural. So I kept up my physical strength training and I kept emailing someone and with a team.
Speaker 3: Every now and again, I hear it's going really well in Germany.
Speaker 2: And then when the auditions came around, they said they actually told me I didn't have to audition, kind of saying that I had the role maybe, but I couldn't tell. So I said, I would still like to audition, So I'm I'm going to show up. I think that's important. I was invested and I wanted to make sure that they saw that and it worked out great.
Speaker 1: Now I've heard that probably one of the bigger physical challenges that you've had happened seventy two hours before Groundhog Day opened on Broadway, where you had an ACL tear. Can you for people that have no idea what that is? Can you explain, like what that is, what happened and how it hurts. Do you mentally and physically get through something like that, because it's not an option to not appr on opening night for a Broadway show.
Speaker 2: Yes, two days before opening night of Broadway, I just thought I was coming in guns blazing. I had an Olivier Award from London. I felt like I had manifested my whole life around this. Everything was coming clear to me and I was like, this is it. This is your chance and your opportunity. And then two nights before the opening night, my ACL ligament, which basically is a ligament that holds.
Speaker 3: Your knee from.
Speaker 2: Not going laterally, it keeps your knee in checks. The ACL apparently keeps your knee from going side to side, which is not a good thing. So that ripped entirely. I had full ACL tear and just went down in front of the audience on the last ten minutes of the show and crawled off stage. And I had a very immediate awareness that this is over. I just lost everything that I've been working for. And Rocky opted in my head and said, it ain't how hard you get hit, it's how hard you get hit and key moving forward, and.
Speaker 3: I took it to heart. It was I was glad I learned the lesson that lesson from that character.
Speaker 2: And I wrapped my leg up and I said, I want to do this, I want to try.
Speaker 3: I want to try.
Speaker 2: We had to take all the fluids out of my knee because my knee was very swollen. The physical therapist said, well, you could give it a shot. I'll wrap it up for you and we'll try. And Michael kors I met who was a big designer. He came to opening night. He said that John McEnroe and him are friends apparently, and he said, John McEnroe, can't believe that you got back up on the stage and did this show. I did open the show. I got through everything with a brace around my knee. So I had, you know, Rocky in my head. But I also had a bunch of how am I going to do this? How am I going to move this way constantly? While doing show that is in constant repetition and constant movement. There's a lot going on. But I was able to use it as a joke in the show. I was able to turn it into a positive. It didn't feel very good, but it taught me a lot about the tolerance of pain. Everything the Groundhog Day was telling me is to live in the present moment and be thankful for the things that you have and appreciate everything. Injury or no, there's always something you can do beyond that. I love what I do. I do what I do for me alone and for the pride that I give, and for the people around me. So it opened my eyes a lot into how to deal with injury and never sacrifice your own integrity or be caught up in your own selfish desire to let go.
Speaker 3: Sometimes things aren't that.
Speaker 1: Bad, Oh Andy, I'm so glad we could make this interview happen. As I moved through my life, I'm always just trying to take note of the people that I'm super impressed by or that move me in some way. And when I saw you perform in Groundhog Day a few weeks ago, I just thought I need to interview him. I want to hear more about his story. And for anyone that is listening at the right time and is in Melbourne or can get to Melbourne, you just you have to see Groundhog Day. It's one of the best musicals I've ever seen. I'll be back again in the audience in a few weeks time. Andy, thank you so much for sharing your fascinating strategies and amazing stories with me here today.
Speaker 2: I appreciate Metha, thanks so much for having me. Comes to you the show and you'll see somebody who's actually a little in Groundhog Dan said of Groundhog Dan, I'm having fun with it.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed this chat with Andy Carl and learning what goes on behind the scenes of a big musical theater show. Now, if you do like musical theater, and really even if you just love a great story, I cannot recommend strongly enough to go see Andy in Groundhog Day the musical, which is currently playing in Melbourne until April twenty twenty four. If you enjoy today's episode, I would love to ask a favor. Click follow on the podcast app that you're listening to this on, and if you're feeling really generous, leave a review for the show. Following this podcast and leaving reviews helps How I Work find new listeners, and your support is one of the things that makes this podcast possible. Thank you for sharing part of your day with me by listening to How I Work. If you're keen for more tips on how to work better, connect with me via LinkedIn or Instagram. I'm very easy to find. Just search for Amantha Imber. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Werrengery people, part of the cool And Nation. I am so grateful for being able to work and live on this beautiful land. I want to pay my respects to Elder's past, present and emerging. How I Work is produced by me Amantha Imber. The episode producer was Rowena Murray, and thank you to Martin Imba who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound better than it would have otherwise