Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: I was chewing my nail section.
Speaker 3: They will Joyster with the Lemonader than Stone.
Speaker 4: A week like the Weeping Madonna though.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell Show Gold one oh four points three.
Speaker 5: Hey, come on in ten minutes past six Thursday Morning, Christian O'Connell's show on Go, come on in Pats morning, coome on and.
Speaker 3: Jack get Hey, guys.
Speaker 5: Have any of you guys heard the new song from the Stones?
Speaker 3: Listen to it twice on the way in.
Speaker 6: I haven't read it yet.
Speaker 4: Isn't it brilliant?
Speaker 1: It's good?
Speaker 4: How have they done it?
Speaker 5: I love Springsteen somewhere early this year, but it's covers, it's and they're amazing covers, but he's not doing anything new. This is the introw We will play it this morning if I have my way A couple of times. The new single are Angry by the Stones.
Speaker 4: I'm a big plan where the band, the lead singer counts the band in the.
Speaker 5: Riff machine is still there, Keith is still alive at seventy nine.
Speaker 3: How don't Nick's.
Speaker 1: Voice still sounds really great?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I really like Yeah, Yeah, we're playing lates on this morning you single from the stones, Patsy, what's been going on with you?
Speaker 4: Mate? How was your day yesterday?
Speaker 6: I just find that like Daylight Savings starts soon. I think it's like October one, and you've probably noticed that the days are stretching out, which is good. But you find when you've got a young family and you try, you know, like witching hour is always the busiest at our house from sort of four through to seven. It's like everything all comes to a peak. Everything needs to be done.
Speaker 1: Twelve year.
Speaker 5: For top, like that's longing, which when I have teenagers, it's twenty four seven witching out that it's a permanent so there's no.
Speaker 4: Season for the clock changes don't make any difference.
Speaker 6: It sounds like the house has come and then come four o'clock when Odds gets home, there's homework, there's unpack your bag.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, there's a I mean.
Speaker 5: The moment that door does she slam the door when Lois comes in. Every day, the door slams and it's like not even sating, Hello, what times? What time were you eating tonight? And then it's like what we're having?
Speaker 4: And then what you're telling?
Speaker 1: She goes oh god, I hate that.
Speaker 5: Wait, go and make us something else. And if you want, we've got on an hour beforehand. What tones you eat as well? Guys, you eat well.
Speaker 6: We eat fairly early. Yeah, we can eat as early as five. Generally five thirty five.
Speaker 5: Thirty is peaked for me. Lois's friend came around for dinner last week. We're all sat down at half five. That's normal for us.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 4: The next day's came up from school. She said, Oh, my friend was taking mickey.
Speaker 3: She told all her friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, O'Connor's like farmers. They're like farmers. What does that even mean?
Speaker 1: But I love that book. We're like farmers, heybals.
Speaker 4: Farmers like four in the afternoon.
Speaker 6: It was half five, but like it was still really daylight at ten to six. And then the news came on and we even started dinner, and I said to Chris, I'm my god, we haven't started dinner and then the news is on. We've normally like cleaned up and sat on the couch.
Speaker 5: The age of the person that watches Peter Hitching on the TV news nine hundred and three, Jagger go not yet. I'm eighty, I went, and I'm ninety two. Thousand years old news is on thiss is.
Speaker 3: The biggest rating show on TV.
Speaker 4: You're kidding?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said were every night? What the tea time one?
Speaker 5: Yeah, six o'clock or six thirty years Yeah, it's his I'm going to have to ask for some ratings on this.
Speaker 4: I want to see when the show me what the ratings are. I want to find out.
Speaker 2: Christian Connell Show Podcast.
Speaker 5: Michaels was texting Christian BATSI try having boys fifteen thirteen ten seven.
Speaker 1: That's a final gowndown. I'll stress.
Speaker 5: My sister's got four boys, and I don't know how people have because I thought when we when we went from one having one kid.
Speaker 4: To two, I thought it was going to obviously double the workload. It makes sense. It was actually like somehow quad troopling it when you go from one till two.
Speaker 5: Now anyway, Patsy was getting confused with the with the longer days, lighter nights, all right about tea time. Suddenly you have any preputee and a hitch is coming on giving the country the news, and then Chack dropped the big knowledge. So I don't wantize it's the most popular TV show every day is the T time News that's right.
Speaker 3: Seven. Nationally seven is slightly ahead of Channel nine. In Melbourne, we slightly prefer Channel nine over Channel seven. But pretty much every Albernians pretty much every night. Yeah, the six o'clock news, the six thirty news, six thirty nine News, nine News at seven, a current affair, and then you get into things like the Block, the Chase, my Kitchen rules.
Speaker 4: And tell me right guys, growing up?
Speaker 5: Was there some kind of snobbery between seven and nine or was he kind of like it didn't really matter about which channel?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: We oddly watched Channel ten news. I think we always had it on The Simpsons at six o'clock and then it rolled in.
Speaker 6: Actually, yeah, we were seven with mel Wolden.
Speaker 2: Christian no Connells show podcast.
Speaker 5: We were just talking to study about when you were a kid, there was always that one TV show that was unmissible.
Speaker 3: Speaking about that six o'clock news. I had a friend who got paid fifty cents a night if he watched the news with his family. Oh your kids pocket money?
Speaker 1: What really?
Speaker 3: I guess the idea was to make him more worldly.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, how amazed him for me? Growing up?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 5: Often the TV show that was unmissible, that we watched with the appearance was mainly about actually trying to go to bed as late as possible.
Speaker 4: So I was watching whatever TV show your dad was into. For some reason. It was always about running down that clock, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: The lady who get the better?
Speaker 5: Go?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 4: Dad, tell us that story again that I've heard about nine ount of times. I telling this one before.
Speaker 5: Some I could have played for Match United and you're looking at the clock cricketing out on this one. In my house, it was all about, oh god, it's starts giving up cho tonight, Dad, I said, kid, this is as poor and as crap as show to me.
Speaker 1: Care those undercovered clocks.
Speaker 4: I had been anything to me, But when the music came on and went this is an hour this will see untill.
Speaker 1: Eleven o'clock, wow, eleven pm.
Speaker 5: On a Saturday night, And then you'd be as quiet as a church mouse, so you'd almost forget you were in the room barely breathing there, Patsy.
Speaker 4: What's a TV show that was unmiscible growing up in your house?
Speaker 6: When we were kids, my brothers and I never missed an episode of the Goodies, and it used to come on the ABC just before six o'clock and when I hear that news theme, I can smell mum cooking dinner. So I can smell three nut roast yeah, no, three bachin meat like chops and sausages.
Speaker 1: Me low yeah yeah results.
Speaker 3: But we used to love it.
Speaker 2: What you call me.
Speaker 1: And we'd lay on the toilet so I know it's you spstick.
Speaker 6: We'd lay on the carpet in front of the TV with our head in our hands, and we just absolutely loved it. But my dad was into the Don Lane Show, which was a big sort of talk show, but we couldn't watch it. It was on at nine o'clock. It was too late, and we'd sometimes creep out of bed and sort of just peep through the kitchen and.
Speaker 4: Mumma, no.
Speaker 6: We were there every time, go back to bed. It was massive with Don Lane and Bert Newton.
Speaker 3: How did we get an American guy doing a talk show on Austrain and TV set this one out?
Speaker 1: This guy, I'm Irish, I'm Australian. Who am I?
Speaker 5: I'm Jason morn I got et passports. I'm like a lazy Season of Nationalities.
Speaker 3: For US Unmissable TV was every Saturday night appointment viewing Hey, Hey, It's Saturday.
Speaker 10: Brad Love Studios on Channeler on the Globe, Sitney Game Brother, Risbond, Welcome two.
Speaker 1: Hours and Madame mad Games. We need to have these Why the ratings rise again?
Speaker 7: Oh, Marc.
Speaker 4: I like the way he went on to lay around the world. The wrest of the World never saw it. And you know they go to London, New York Parents, he went.
Speaker 1: Brisbane, Hobar. He's getting small. Frankston, Frankston South.
Speaker 3: That's so good.
Speaker 4: Jack.
Speaker 6: We used to go out on a Saturday night and religiously get ready to that show. Between getting ready it was.
Speaker 3: The weekend for you guys growing That was a huge Red Faces to me and my brother it was it was like the height of performance on TV. We used to talk about what we could one day do on Red Faces.
Speaker 4: Wow, Perry's in the studio with us, Perry. What was the TV show for you?
Speaker 11: The driest police of all time?
Speaker 4: The Bill?
Speaker 1: How Dare You?
Speaker 5: It was the British Starsky and Hutch even this plotting kind of intro of those two the police feet walking down that lane.
Speaker 1: I used to love watching Bill. Did you get the Bill here there?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 12: We did?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Was it me?
Speaker 4: Did they have an audience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was pretty massive. Although the cop Shop in the eighties, which was an aussy police show, went up.
Speaker 1: No, not a rip off.
Speaker 5: We can think of a police show own, but set in the UK rip off. Come on, guys, all right, what was the unmissible TV show for you growing up?
Speaker 8: This is the.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: Just to head up listeners, Jack Posts aka the Music Nerds sometimes we see him about once or twice here like a very rare in change of species. It's seasonal. He's woken up because someone mentioned the TV show The Bill. Do you remember the Bill back in the day. Well, we're here, this is the.
Speaker 4: This is a TV show from the eighties. So the UK cop show.
Speaker 1: Jack here is it?
Speaker 4: And it's in an irregular time.
Speaker 3: What happens? Hard to like? Tap along with the Bill and I've gone online and sure right.
Speaker 1: You're right. I mean, Sony Man's ready.
Speaker 5: I don't know if my cart is going to do it in October where he's going to go two three fo.
Speaker 12: You all know.
Speaker 1: John and I used to go.
Speaker 3: But it is in an irregular time. Signature seven four, which most you know ninety nine songs, pop songs especially are in four four one two three four one two three.
Speaker 4: I understand.
Speaker 3: So four seven seven four is one two three four five six seven one two three four. Yeah, it's unsettling, don't you find.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, now you mentioned it is.
Speaker 6: It's a regular.
Speaker 5: Now I do know that there's only one or two other songs that I know that are in that same thing. One of them is a Pink Floyd song money, Right, I believe it. We get a clip of money. The music nerd will know this a bit of verified because it can't just take my own word on it, right, is that I'm Stephen Fry of the music world. And then the other one, this is going to make a dog us all, like Benny, zero point one percent of the audience are going to know this. If you're like the band of the National. I think the song Demons is in that as well.
Speaker 3: Right, Another one that Paul McCartney will be playing at Marble Stadium.
Speaker 1: Oh the hits Jack the Bill, Demons by the National. All right, so we're talking about the here we go. We got a money hook it Jack.
Speaker 5: Five six seven, Yeah, well recognized, and we also got good to Go Demons by the National.
Speaker 4: Maybe it might take it. I'll have to go home and get that vinyl and bring it in for us.
Speaker 5: All right, let's go to Errol here, Errol, what was the unmissible TV show for you growing up?
Speaker 13: The missible show was at six pm every night?
Speaker 12: Was Olf from Melmack.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Alien life Form?
Speaker 12: What a show.
Speaker 3: That he was as tall as his son?
Speaker 14: Did you say did you say he was no taller than his son?
Speaker 4: He was no taller than his son?
Speaker 14: Yeah, which was Ben.
Speaker 13: He was only six years old then, and.
Speaker 5: He was thus alien kids, you know, they grew up definitely to us humanoids exactly.
Speaker 3: Also, what's this elevated music? That was the theme so.
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 13: Back then they used to use anything for a thing.
Speaker 3: So this sounds like I'm on hold to Telstra.
Speaker 5: This is a this is a terrible TV theme, isn't it? Years ago you used to put in but this it is. You're right, it's hold.
Speaker 13: Music was done by a piano.
Speaker 5: A few matter of fact, again, when he we've started the next feature, whole fact has started.
Speaker 4: We've just faded into it. Sonly Errol, thank you very much, and no more from Errol. Now let's go to uh.
Speaker 3: The two tidbits were Elf was as tall as the sun characters and you can play the piano a new feature.
Speaker 1: What is er all same? Because to me it's fun? All right? Have we got here? Ellianna?
Speaker 7: Hello?
Speaker 13: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good?
Speaker 4: Have you having a good week? And what was the unmissable TV show for you? Growing up?
Speaker 1: Made?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 15: Growing up?
Speaker 16: Mom and I used to watch some form of news and then we'd switch over to Channel eleven and we'd watch The Brady Bunch and Happy Days.
Speaker 15: And I forgot to add this, but we also used to watch mcgyver and Mork and Mindy.
Speaker 4: You're making the team work really hard, very early on getting all these things.
Speaker 7: So Brady Bunch bank, we watched a lot of Brady Bunch of kids, and.
Speaker 5: Then you said Happy Days, yep, one of the best. And then did you say mcguy v Yep? This is mysterious, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Chews you and.
Speaker 7: A smart man?
Speaker 1: The thinking man's the bill way older than her. Sun just so much got three feet on his kid.
Speaker 4: What's happened?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 4: I thought it was alarm going off?
Speaker 2: Bra you're listening to the Christian o'cyle's show podcast.
Speaker 5: We're talking about the TV. What's the TV show for you? Grown up that was unmissible. Now, Producer Caitlin, what is it for you? What's the TV show that the's unmissible for you?
Speaker 3: Every single night? Home and Away?
Speaker 2: Couldn't miss it?
Speaker 1: Now, Home and Away over Neighbors absolutely.
Speaker 6: Now, I'm from New South Wales and I think that everyone in New South Wales watched Home and Away without a doubt.
Speaker 4: Oh so it was seen as a Melbourne thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Neighbors, just like anyone that watched Neighbors was a weirdo where I was from.
Speaker 5: Whoa, you're gonna judge us up there? Okay, that's interesting. Normally it's the other way around. But I tell you what great theme tune Home and Away?
Speaker 4: This was a great one.
Speaker 1: You know we below together. This is a great theme tune.
Speaker 4: You were that boy?
Speaker 5: I actually think it throws shade. I love Neighbors, loved it well growing up.
Speaker 3: You're right, Neighbor's a better show, but Home and Away the better thing.
Speaker 4: Song. It's a slow burned banger. Even sounds like a fireworks going on.
Speaker 1: Did my heart?
Speaker 5: It actually sounds like yet they're dropping a double due? No man, well you ah, we should insist that McCartney isn't even allowed on any stage in this country.
Speaker 4: This he agrees to do this as his closer because you.
Speaker 1: Had five words going up.
Speaker 4: You know that marble you no.
Speaker 1: Only it low. It would be.
Speaker 3: Every person in the audience would be out of sing a long leg.
Speaker 1: You're my guide.
Speaker 3: You keep pausing it before we get to the want to get he.
Speaker 4: Wants you want to?
Speaker 1: You want to? You nor below.
Speaker 17: You win that boil and.
Speaker 1: No man or where you are.
Speaker 5: You're my guiding starre birth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot about this. Let's lady coming into its young producer gating Queen's ander.
Speaker 4: This has got a lot more going on than neighbors.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what, though, smell it. It's a whiff of bogan about it.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 5: There's a barbecue, a car with no front tires. I mean, I'm not mad at it, but I'm just saying this is like a bogan anthem as it was this. There's a little bit more top end of town.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody needs.
Speaker 3: Good it's a big goodie two shoes.
Speaker 1: Speaky thing. Kylie and Jason.
Speaker 4: Where's this.
Speaker 1: Barbecue somewhere on the go?
Speaker 14: All right?
Speaker 5: Well were we oh yeah, we're asking you about which TV show you were was unmissible growing up.
Speaker 1: Deb Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 16: How's everyone today?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 15: I am awesome.
Speaker 16: It's such a beautiful sunny day, and I'm just loving that everyone's focused on the theme song rather than what the actual show was.
Speaker 1: Who Cares.
Speaker 4: Love and Melody? We get to stratch with the melody on the show.
Speaker 1: What's it for you?
Speaker 4: Debbie?
Speaker 16: Well, I mean it's actually great. It's a great segue into my favorite show, which was Countdown.
Speaker 4: God, that's a lot going on any things. I think this is this is easy into it, you know.
Speaker 1: All right, Debbie, let's go to Colin. Good morning, Colin, good morning.
Speaker 8: There are you, Christian?
Speaker 4: I'm good Colin. What was the unmissable TV show for you?
Speaker 12: The greatest, the most classicst one you could get ahead of everything for everyone? That's the Benny Hill Show.
Speaker 5: You know, we were talking last week on the show about how certain things age and you know, a man chasing women around heart benchers with his trousers falling off, and our man here, there's something for everybody there.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: Last week on the show, we stumbled into something new. We were talking about dull facts and quite a few of the ones we had why they're very duller Actually they urge him to being accidentally interesting, and normally on the show, we try, we try, we try. We don't always get there, but we're something always trying to head to making the show as entertaining as possible. Whereas now every week and or Thursday, we are looking for your dullest facts.
Speaker 1: These are so dull.
Speaker 5: The litmus test really is they're solder you wouldn't tell another human being because it would kill the conversation.
Speaker 4: Stunt god dead.
Speaker 7: You come the dullest fag, all right.
Speaker 5: So we're looking for you the facts. Now we gray these when you come on aira you text them with your dull facts. Okay, we grade them.
Speaker 17: Fascinating, mildly interesting.
Speaker 4: The sweet spot.
Speaker 5: You're heading for them for the truly dull ones that go nowhere, all right, to kick us off, and Anthony has got this one. Malamute dogs and one of the few dog breeds that have retractable claws.
Speaker 17: Mildly interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is some joy. Love your name.
Speaker 5: In the Wizard of Oz book, Dorothy's shoes are silver, but in the film they're red because there's a launch of technic color and silver looks gray. So they needed to change the color, so Dorothy's shoes are silver, not red.
Speaker 3: Mildly interesting.
Speaker 17: Mildly interesting.
Speaker 1: Kelly has got this one.
Speaker 5: Frank Sinatshop was offered a starring role the first person we offered it in Die Hards.
Speaker 4: That's a kidder one. That is too fascinating.
Speaker 2: Christian Show podcast.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into this week's dull facts.
Speaker 3: Come the dullis facts, boring, heaven.
Speaker 5: Dumb facts so dull you'd never tell another human being. We're looking for them right now.
Speaker 4: On nine four one four one oh four three Sean.
Speaker 5: Emperor Penguins can sometimes fall over backwards from the shock of seeing a human for.
Speaker 4: The first time.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cute, that's just that's actually interesting, fascinating.
Speaker 5: I will tell someone that today. Who else We've got to here, Pam, the infinity symbol is called Did anyone know this?
Speaker 4: Lemon skates? Boring?
Speaker 3: No, not, so you're never gonna say that again.
Speaker 5: In nature, the inside of a seashell is in the lemon skate pattern as well. It's how blood circulates in the body, and it's how also how water swells in the ocean too. It's in I see tom a producer, yawning. They're fascinating and if you know the Arkarana tarot cards, it is also above the magician, the sign of infinity and power and balance.
Speaker 4: Fascinating.
Speaker 5: It's all fellow Arkara tarot card fans. All right, So let's go to Alice right now.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Alice, Hello, hell are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good. I'm excited. I'm excited because Jack said, get ready, this one is pretty boring. So for us, that's what we're looking for. Alice, good luck.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 18: So, the reason that a circle has three hundred and sixty degrees is because three hundred and sixty is the most visible number that's under five hundred.
Speaker 1: She shoots, Alice, you won a price.
Speaker 5: Wow, now that is that's an amazing kick off straight away with a really genuinely boring and you when.
Speaker 3: We go into divisibles that you would hate it.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: He's thirty six back at maths at school, Tony, good morning, I costume.
Speaker 4: All right, So, Tony, what is your duble fact?
Speaker 9: For us, snails are the second biggest killers of humans.
Speaker 5: It's true, fascinating, fascinating, pending, mildly interesting, but on the verge.
Speaker 1: Of so continue proceed.
Speaker 9: Why snails.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're on the yes.
Speaker 12: Yes, so fresh water snails give off a parasites worm, which if attends you may kill you.
Speaker 1: Ruined.
Speaker 4: He was too proud of that moment, wasn't He was doing a lap of honor?
Speaker 1: Too soon?
Speaker 5: Tony labeled him as too soon, Tony premature, Tony, Uh, come oning, Christian jew.
Speaker 12: My fact is that an Australian man once tried to sell the entire country of New Zealand on eBay starting at once sent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry to now let's go to Andrew. Good morning, Andrew.
Speaker 13: Morning, Christian morning crew. My most boring factor is do you know that the average age of a mortgage broker in Australia is forty four?
Speaker 19: This is it?
Speaker 4: This is brilliant. That is genius.
Speaker 1: You are a genius, an't you?
Speaker 4: That is you're never telling.
Speaker 3: How do you know such a thing.
Speaker 13: Well, we were talking about mortgage brokers at work the other day, and of course your phone listens to that, and then you start getting pop ups about it all that sort of crap. So I just got interested and had to look into them. Just got very fascinated by mortgage brokers and found out that the average age of a mortgage broker in Australia is forty four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a memorable which days in there and you can do it. Andrew, thank you very much that one. That's a great one. We'll send you prize. Let's go to Catherine.
Speaker 14: Now, come morning, Good morning everybody.
Speaker 19: And my boring fact is that there are approxi eighteen quintillion impact craters on the moon, eighteen followed by eighteen sorry one one eighteen quin that's eighteen followed by eighteen zeros.
Speaker 5: I've never heard of a no, no, no, I'm interested because I don't know what I never heard of. A quintillion?
Speaker 3: Is that big or small than a gazillion?
Speaker 19: It's got eighteen zeros?
Speaker 14: So does it go billion, billion, billion, billion.
Speaker 4: Trillion, must be a quintillion or would it be gazillion?
Speaker 19: I think meazillion, maybe megazillion.
Speaker 4: Someone will know nine four one four, one three. But fascinating a lot of.
Speaker 5: All right, Catherine, thank you very much. Give us a call Kit in the comment The dullest facts you know.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian o'connells show, caust.
Speaker 4: But Perry has got the facts for those of you who are still awake about the gazillions, the billions? What orders it going so perry? From a billion?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 11: From a billion? We go to a trillion, a quadrillion, a quintillion, a sextillion, and then we go to a septillion, and then it keeps going all the way to what is one hundred zeros, which is called a goglaplex.
Speaker 4: Why do we need that higher calculation? We get to be quantified like that.
Speaker 1: Everything is made up.
Speaker 17: Plants.
Speaker 1: Do you know how it is to count to one thousand, nine quintillion and five three?
Speaker 3: How did they find out they were even a quintillion?
Speaker 4: Does chat ept give you that?
Speaker 11: It doesn't give us that answer.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, sorry, El and Bars. We're very busy up there.
Speaker 5: Those up there all right, we're gonna open up the lines now then, and his stories. We're looking for in alternative ways that you were paid yesterday, had a very attractive offer to host something. And normally when you ask someone like me to host something, you would pay me some money, right, and I might think about it, depending on what the offer is, if I want to do it, and then I show up. But traditionally it's the way the market forces work is that you would make an offer. This person said, it's always a great love with ago. We don't have money to pay you. But I'm like, why am I still reading this? When they said they would pay me.
Speaker 1: In books, like a book voucher, I'll be there.
Speaker 4: No, remember the sixteenth I'm there? Okay?
Speaker 3: How many books is going for a Christian kind of life?
Speaker 4: Speaking? I did?
Speaker 5: That's the last question that hasn't been answered yet. She said, a tremendous voucher. And I went to find tremendous voucher because some people's idea of tremendous voucher. So yeah, so I we paid in books. I'm so happy with that.
Speaker 3: My dad once, when as an eighteen year old he was a good footy player, a regional football team came down Saturday's kitchen with his mom and dad and offered him a deal to come play with their regional football team in exchange for a cow.
Speaker 1: He did not accept.
Speaker 5: All right, so we're looking for you. How have you been paid other than cash? How have you been paid?
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Christian O Carl Show podcast.
Speaker 5: We're asking this morning, other than cash, what have you been paid in? Jessica's got an interesting one. Christian, and I wants you. Used to work in a pet shop and I got paid while one day they let me take a pick of the animal's home. They couldn't afford to pay me, so I got paid in a ferret. Oh tell you what our key we producer Tom, he loves ferret stories.
Speaker 4: That's like his greatest day in radio. I love in my land. We love defen sorries. I don't want country that by the way, I need to work on that accent.
Speaker 1: Well, milerke here, Christian, I'm Marina.
Speaker 4: That's Greek, isn't it.
Speaker 1: You spent a lot of time in Athens. Actually, Mick, what have you been paid in other than cash?
Speaker 12: Good morning, Christian and co. I was working for a labor higher company and I was contracted to work on a nursery and they wanted to put me on full time, and to do this they had to pay out my contract to the labor higher company, which they did in trees.
Speaker 5: I'd be very happy acorns or oaks, the mighty oaks. I love those trees. You got paid in trees?
Speaker 4: What kind?
Speaker 15: Ah?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 12: What about the manager of the company had and what the other bloke wanted?
Speaker 1: It was was that Jack in the bean store.
Speaker 3: He just pointed to a field.
Speaker 12: And said, you want to established tree nursery, the sort of place where you want an instant twelve foot hedge. They got twelve foot cypress trees and you name.
Speaker 9: It, they got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sometimes like footy clubs have to buy off contracts and like Grundy and the d's in the place. But how many trees you weren't around here at the g broke? This is an unusual one.
Speaker 4: I'm being honest. Ferrets trees.
Speaker 3: What did you do with the trees?
Speaker 1: Curry?
Speaker 3: What did you do with him? Did you plan them in your place?
Speaker 12: Not at my place? So I went to the owner of the labor hire company.
Speaker 4: Ah right, you didn't even get your cut.
Speaker 14: No, no, no shrub.
Speaker 4: Shrub today show not even a shrub, Mick. It's always a joy chance.
Speaker 12: You might have a good day, Yes, and you too have a great one to YEA.
Speaker 4: Sounded like you couldn't agree what I just said. Not necessarily question the naccording disagree.
Speaker 1: It's a fairer story, Michelle.
Speaker 4: What have you been paid in?
Speaker 15: Well, I've got a couple of things I was paid in. So the first one I was paid with a horse. So my friends. She had this old horse and I used to ride it. And then she said I was hairdressed in just beginning. I was eighteen, and she said, you know, for you permed my hair. It was back in the eighties. If you permed my hair, I'll give you this horse.
Speaker 1: So she did.
Speaker 15: It was that he was a fabulous old horse called Reads, and he was older than me. I was eighteen and he was nineteen. So I had him for quite a long time.
Speaker 4: How many hands he was off?
Speaker 15: Fifteen hands for something? He was such a really.
Speaker 4: Big yeah, gorgeous fat lock.
Speaker 15: But guess what I've got something else. My mom and dad owns a toy shop, yea for thirty years. So when I used to work when I was a kid, they paid me in toys. Roller skate so I got a.
Speaker 4: Bag the left one first, and that you built up to the right one.
Speaker 15: Barby pool Yechelle were big dolls and things.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it was really good, all right, Michelle, thank you very much? She cool?
Speaker 15: No thanks, Christen Braight calling.
Speaker 4: For the previous one, Jenny, what have you been paid.
Speaker 13: In high Christian?
Speaker 15: It's my son. He's a plumber and he's quite a big boy.
Speaker 16: And loves his food.
Speaker 20: He's he works for a whole lot of little.
Speaker 15: Restaurants in the local area, and they pay him in.
Speaker 1: Food, easy, easy, big.
Speaker 4: He's going to get bigger and bigger. He won't get in the house anymore. A garbage unit for them.
Speaker 12: He is.
Speaker 5: It's shorthand these days, isn't it when you hear someone says he's a He's a big lad and he loves his food.
Speaker 15: He's got he's got the local restaurants all under his son, the Indian restaurant, the pizza restaurant in On Street and Carlton.
Speaker 16: He knows, he knows all of them.
Speaker 4: There's big old heavy pastor Mills.
Speaker 14: He's chomping on everything everything.
Speaker 4: Jenny, thank you very much, you call, thank you.
Speaker 1: I have a good day and you please you first.
Speaker 4: Marley, I'm good to you. And what have you paid in money?
Speaker 18: It's not me my dad he was. He was never paid cash for anything. Anything that he's sold from the farm. He would always get something return. He never he never got cash. He would never say X amount. He would say something like, oh, fuck it out and you can put the fish in it on your way past from fishing, or you know, like everybody in the town knew him. So anything that he that he wanted or anything that was that people wanted, he would be paid in whatever.
Speaker 20: Anything just what was.
Speaker 18: I know, he would sell whatever was on the farm, like pumpkins and you know, like stock and stuff like that that he grew.
Speaker 4: Was going to sell these five pumpkins.
Speaker 18: Y, Yeah, so anything. When we got electricity put on in the farm, he they asked him to cut the logs and they were going to pay him for the electricity poles and he said, no, I don't want the cash. You can just put the mice his share of what he would have paid for them to install it. That came from the low.
Speaker 8: So he was just.
Speaker 4: Incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marlene, thank you.
Speaker 4: B Yeah, you guys played a prank on me to.
Speaker 1: Do the last twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Look, Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, we had a phone call from Tracy and we were just asking you who loves their job.
Speaker 4: Tracy calls in and while we're.
Speaker 5: Chatting to her and she's talking about this amazing voluntary voluntary work she does with the police. We found out whilst we'll listening to them, we're going through her life and it's all just happening in front of our ears and yours as well. If you heard it yesterday that Tracy actually someone who has she's got terminal breast cancer and found out a couple of years ago. But the reason why it's had such a huge reaction, and Jack and I almost want to go back to what she's opened up yesterday today and we can't stop thinking about it.
Speaker 4: When I went to bed last night.
Speaker 5: When I woke up this morning, I was thinking, I've even putten a little post by my computer at home. I have all these quotes on there. They come and go and various ones go up there, but I put brand new one up there. It's Tracy. It was something she said towards the end of the call when she was talking about she said, don't wait to get sick to start living your life, which is as good as a powerful kind of guiding compass point for your life than you can possibly get. And that came from Tracy yesterday. If you missed the call here.
Speaker 8: It is going to police stations for children ten to seventeen and for children and adults with an impairment when they getting in trouble with the police and they don't have anyone to help them out. I go in and make sure that everything goes according to plan and help them along the way. So I did the training and here I am. I'm literally when I phoned in, I was coming back from a police station. As I was phoning in, I've just got time.
Speaker 4: So you've been working already in the early hours of the morning or overnight.
Speaker 8: Got the phone call at So I've got this morning.
Speaker 4: And that's it. You get the phone call and off you go.
Speaker 16: There's a lot of kids out there with our parents and guardians, they know it.
Speaker 8: Everyone needs help.
Speaker 4: How did you get involved in that? I didn't even think that would be needed, but of course it would be.
Speaker 8: A girlfriend of mine has now passed away. She started it and she said, get me out of my cancer world because I've got terminal cancer and I love it. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 4: Tracy. Did you say you have terminal cancer?
Speaker 8: Yes, I do. I've got diagnosed ten years ago with some stage three breast cancer. And yeah, you poor thing.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry to hear that, Tracy.
Speaker 8: I've had a good life, Christian, I've had a good life.
Speaker 4: Did you choose to do this because you wanted to use what time you've got to actually make an impact and do something that you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I like doing things for people, and I learnt the hard way. Don't get sick until he's start enjoying your life.
Speaker 3: But isn't there something so telling? I think of the way that you choose to spend your final moments on earth is giving back to people and doing something so selfless.
Speaker 8: Oh thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's an amazing call, one that remembered for a very long time. The extra question has kind of come from Tracy and what she opened up yesterday in so many of us, is actually how she got that phone call, that news that doctor's appointment, are consultant in asking to come in, bring someone with you, and sitting down where suddenly your whole life, all the plans you had, they fall away, and you've got the news that no one ever wants to hear.
Speaker 4: But actually, Tracy made a choice.
Speaker 5: She went from where she could have been another awful statistic about breast cancer, where she really was a victim of cancer like too many people, But she actually made a choice.
Speaker 4: You heard it in there.
Speaker 5: She loves her job, she's got terminal cancer, that's true, but she's also made this choice where she went from not being a victim, she actually became the hero of her own life story.
Speaker 4: That's what she chose to do.
Speaker 3: There's no more immediate way, I think, to learn what your priorities in life. Fire didn't to be given a time limit, and when you know that there's an incoming, you can go, all right, well what do I want to spend the rest of my time doing? And I thought it was an amazing that she wanted giving and being general without expecting something in return is what she chose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we all know how this is going to end, but we just take it for granted. You moan most of your days, You turn most of your life into an endless series of tasks and obligations and demands. You've got to get around to her and this weekend, I've got to go and do that. And you forget underneath it all. It's going to come to an end, and we forget to live our lives with purpose and intention. And that is what Tracey's done. And that is why everyone who heard it yesterday and all the emails I've had from people, she had an awakening in her life. She took something devastating news, life changing news, and somehow Ben Crow this performance coach to coaches, most of the footy players and ash party. He calls them crucible moments where your life is literally on fire. We're trying to withstand this very high temperature. There's news that you've had in your life, and how can you change it, how can you reshape what's happened.
Speaker 4: That's what Tracy did.
Speaker 5: That was a crucible moment, getting the cancer news and actually decided, well, that's true, I am going to die, but on the time i've got I'll do something that brings me join it. I'd love to find out that in them people like Tracy, who else listened this morning had some life changing news and somehow you turned it into something positive, something you could actually empower you. You took back the power from that phone called that doctor's appointment. If you're listeners thinking that's me, I've got that story, we'd love to hear it this morning. These stories have got so much power. They inspire all of us. So many people have them. Inspired by Tracy. Give me call and share your story. We'd love to hear it. How you took something life changing news and somehow you made something positive out of it. You formed a diamond out of the shit.
Speaker 2: Basically, Well, Christian no Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 5: So we're looking for your stories of how you had life changing news but somehow you turn it into something positive, something empowering.
Speaker 4: You took your power back. Neil.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Good morning, Christian. I'm good Neil. Thank you very much for calling in first of all and trusting us with your story.
Speaker 4: So what happened to you, Neil?
Speaker 9: So you'd have to excuse me? So I always get choked up with this. So I spent thirty three years in the Australian Defense Force as a full time and a part time soldier, went to different units, and I spent thirteen years with the commandos here in Melbourne at Williamstown. And there was a couple of sort of pivotal moments, crucible moments like you said before, and I had there was a period where about half a dozen of my colleagues and friends committed suicide after coming back from Afghanistan and different operations. And I wanted to make a bit of a difference because I'd had a pretty good life. And I started a group called Double Dagger Projects, and I've run now about seven or eight events and both here in Melbourne and in New South Wales. And I helped to raise about two hundred thousand dollars for veteran welfare.
Speaker 4: Hey well done, now that's incredible, thank you.
Speaker 9: Now I'm just an e for me. I organize an event and we try to do our best to promote it, and then we take that money and we give it to organizations like Cam's Clause Commander Welfare, Trust Soldier On, different organizations like that, because they have the ability to provide programs for veterans. So I create an event. It's a motorcycle ride, card drive, people catch a train, I don't care how they get to where wherever we've got to go.
Speaker 20: And then we have a live concert, food ouctions, raffles and basically Christian I just try and take as much money off these people as they possibly can so that I can hand it over to the other charitable organizations.
Speaker 9: And we've been going for five or so years now. And as I was saying to Jack, in twenty fourteen, I had a catastrophic motorcycle accident in February of fourteen and I went home in December and it was I was on a lot of medications to help me, and you know, so I sort of got at these clarities of thought and said, you've survived something, you've come out of everything else that you've done. Let's pay back, you know, to those guys and the families who didn't have it so good.
Speaker 5: Well, it's incredible, what inspirational man you are, Neil. You know it's it's criminal, isn't it what happens to you know, the vets that have so many of them. Now we know I've got PTSD and have just been let down by the country that they were serving and defending.
Speaker 9: It is totally ridiculous. And I don't want to make you know, any of this a political thing, but it is horrible that we have to fight that, you know, so I'll just have to fight soldiers and seem that they have to fight so hard to get anything back and get and get recognition of the problems because you can't go you can't even train littleone go on a live operation and not come back changed. You know, there was a Roman poet, sorry a Greek poet philosopher has said that no man steps into the same river twice because it is not the same river, and he is not the same man. You know, we always get touched and changed and altered by something. And not only do the service people pay the price, it's the families that pay an even greater price in a changed family member or the loss of a family member or the loss of capability or something like that. And it's really important that we recognize that, so we do these things. You know, look, we're not huge Christian I hope one day that we are.
Speaker 5: We'll give yourself a bug. Can people donate? You know, it's like when we heard about backpacks of it kids. That is not a big charity, but like your one, they make an impact and that's the one thing you can control. You can't control what the politicians are going to they should be in the loads more and this is the same all over the world. But it's like you can control what you do and you are making a difference.
Speaker 9: Thank you. So we're on Facebook and Instagram as Double Dagger Projects. Now Jack asked me what that represents, and we have a I think we have a cool logo. So the two Commando Regiment's been one Commando Regiment, which is the reserve unit. Their logo, their hat badge is a dagger through a boomerang strike swiftly is the motto, and two Commando Regiment, which is the full sign regiment, which is swift to strike. Their hat badge is a dagger through double diamonds, and the double diamonds has a history back to the Emin's Special Forces similar during the Second World War. So I've tried to take the elements from those two regiments and turn them into a logo and hopefully your producer are sitting there bringing us up on the on Facebook or Instagram.
Speaker 5: You're giving them so much credit. We're not past of some crack unit here. I'll be doing that at break but we'll have it and we'll share that on our social pages as well.
Speaker 1: The double Date, Double Daggers Project, Double.
Speaker 9: Dagger Projects is what we do when our next event is in Sittney and you're going to ask it a date and I can't remember it to November I'm top of my head. And then in February around about the twenty first I think it is down here in William said. We actually run it at the Pirates Tavern, which is a great vinny for us because I can put hundreds of people into there, which is really good.
Speaker 5: I'm sure there's loads of people that want to come and support that. There be so many people that have been affected by what you're talking about. With that's and PTSD. We will we'll share your social pages. But now, thank you very much for picking up the phone, I mean, courageous enough to share your story Double Double Dagger Projects. We'll have a look at Facebook now and shouting our Facebook on Instagram and on the station one as well.
Speaker 4: Good luck with what you're doing now.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much, Christian. If I could just add on the back of what the lady from yesterday said, seven weeks ago, my wife was diagnosed with cancer.
Speaker 4: Now that's a heartbreak in and.
Speaker 9: It looks like she's coming home tomorrow. She has been declared cancer free. Some you know, they did some massive stuff to her, but they've been able to remove everything thankfully.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Oh that's fantastic news, isn't it. In an awful situation, that is really great news.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Enjoy your weekend with your wife and your precious time.
Speaker 9: Thanks Christian. Bye.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: So I got tickets for me and my daughters, my wife and I all to go to the game tonight with these fans so we're looking forward to it's going to be huge tonight.
Speaker 4: The atmosphere there, all those joyous pies fans.
Speaker 3: Say what your wife referred to the mess Ruffians.
Speaker 4: She said, I'm gonna have to get my hair done. I went, don't worry about that.
Speaker 1: Wear a hat.
Speaker 5: You know, you don't get your head up for a vent like that. I said, we're not off to the racist Okay, we're not the bird cage. You're a Dorothy. You're a long way from the You go and click your heels, get out here. It is on tonight, it's in. We're in feral town. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 5: My nineteen year old daughter yesterday started to go, oh somewhere, the weather's not gonna be good, and you know, and so I've never got a spare ticket, and Lois, my younger daughter, can't make it. She's got a big exam tomorrow and we'll be a late night. And so I just asked producer Kaitlin, right, yep, and she's she's a D's fan, And I said, oh, do you want to come along?
Speaker 4: She's leapt at the chance.
Speaker 5: I just messaged our little family Chap Ruby, my daughter's you know who's worked on the show for a couple of months before leaving home. She loves Kaitlin. I thought she loves her dad. That she knows coming.
Speaker 4: She's going. This is great news. I'm definitely coming.
Speaker 5: So if you aren't going, she was not going to come. Father's Day is in the rear view mirror.
Speaker 1: Oh they're so an instant coming. I bet she's even sitting next to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how you joining again? Here? You want another drink?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Here I go and get that man alright e time wast.
Speaker 5: A double pass up to grabs today Off for grabs by the Sea Jimmy Marnes The Living in Berta, Tokyo on More Saturday, December two at Torquay Common, getting tickets through Ticketmaster, Win them right now in the time waster.
Speaker 1: We're looking for your clean celebrities. Clean celebrities like Gladiator.
Speaker 5: That's right, mister mussel Crow gold, Squeegey wonder he's got such that keyboard is spotless gold, David Hasselcloth silver, even very generous pursue bronze underneath that Scrubby Checker, Scrubby Checker and.
Speaker 1: The Fat Boys silver plus jiff Goblum gold.
Speaker 4: So they called him in and Bath, Matt.
Speaker 3: Damon Bath Bronze.
Speaker 1: Gold plus.
Speaker 4: These grades tone that up, lockdown gold. All right, Jackie boy, what have you got?
Speaker 3: Soapy? Alice Bexter.
Speaker 4: That is creepy ass.
Speaker 3: Silver j Robert Moppenheimer, Oh my god, he's a celebrity his day in his day silver, Dustin Hoffmann.
Speaker 4: That's good gold, very good.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 3: I should write bronze under this coshy. Of of course I loved celebrity, but when he's cleaner washy.
Speaker 1: You audacity to turn out to work like that, bra.
Speaker 4: Along with David household cloth. All right, what have you got then?
Speaker 5: Clean celebrities Textam and O Fall seventy five three one oh four three The Christian O'Connell show podcast, We're looking for youel clean celebrities on the time Waster Today mess and showed to the pass to go to buy the sea. All right, clean celebrities, Let's see what you've got. You're ready, jack Let's do it. Chucks Berry Silba, Chris Pino clean good floor is inflecting that hospital grade Anthony Puff scrub Daddy Silba one of about two hundred that came in trying to play to you. Joe because they know you love the scrub Daddy, Tom Hanky Gold, I love this one. Ashton Kartcher Gold, try to get mine out this weekend. Clean the Deck, Denzil Windex Silba famous wrestler. I love they put this in here because it means they don't think that we're WWW fans famous wrestler.
Speaker 4: John Cleaner said of John Cena Silver Laura del Paseo, we do know John Cleana ho'se it Downey Junior. I love that one.
Speaker 5: I'm actually all that the genius of coming up with that just in a couple of minutes. Hose It Downey Junior is great.
Speaker 1: Nicole will love that.
Speaker 5: Megan Sparkle, Oh Gold, that's why Patsy won't need to read that one out.
Speaker 1: All Right, who's winning best in Show?
Speaker 3: Let's give it to Nicole for hose It Downey Jr.
Speaker 2: Christian Connell Show Podcast, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Sure all the emails coming in telling us about a family that would love to get a gate call next week, some good news that they are off to the Royal Melbourne Show and they.
Speaker 4: Get a free family pass and loads more as well.
Speaker 5: All Right to tomorrow's show. Talking about good news on the phone. We'll be calling one of you. So you're the amazing news. You're off to see a true rock and roll led Paul McCartney on the Go Coast as part of our McCartney VIP.
Speaker 1: You get to go to Paul's says here.
Speaker 3: Paul first name basis Yeah.
Speaker 1: Paul's exclusive sound chet.
Speaker 4: Before the gig.
Speaker 5: This is an amazing thing and what an amazing experience to go and see before this warming up. As well as an amazing seats, you're up front of the main gig, you also get flights. This is all up in the Gold Coast. You get flights, accommodation and a limo to the gig. What an amazing experience you're gonna have. So we're colling you tomorrow morning. Just after seven o'clock your phone goes. It could beat us. Stand by your phones.
Speaker 1: Also on tomorrow's show, Jack, you saw a guy learning a new life skill yesterday.
Speaker 3: At the park. I went past the guy, maybe in his forties, I reckon, not with kids, just on his own, trying to teach himself to rollerblade like a baby giraffe trying to walk.
Speaker 4: I love this. You never too old to learn something new.
Speaker 3: He was in the risk guards, kneepads, elbow protector.
Speaker 4: The thing's going on midlife crisis.
Speaker 5: Do you think he's secretly doing this as some sort of engagement proposal or something for a kid's birthday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it might be second time around. That's not judge. Guys, Okay, we don't know either way. He's got a long way to go because he was a second first lesson.
Speaker 3: He wasn't dancing across the pavement. But I do love the idea. As we get older, we don't try to learn new things. So for people in their thirties, forties, fifties and beyond, what are you trying to do that's a new skill?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Share with us tomorrow. Email me Christian at Christian.
Speaker 4: O'Connell dot com dot au. Huggies on the
Speaker 2: Way Christian o connell's show podcast