Speaker 1: The Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: Radio work, Our windows done, my.
Speaker 3: World, reason the dust only good, babs all down. I don't much, but yeah I'm not ill and what I want It don't matter where.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, it's the pick up with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: What's got your giggling over there?
Speaker 4: Oh? God, don't even the conversation we just said about if there was an apocalypse and what would we do, well.
Speaker 3: We just discovered that Grace, our producer, would be absolutely useless in an apocalypse.
Speaker 2: She said she'd rather lay down and give up than fight, which.
Speaker 4: I founds interesting because if there's an apocalypse, I'm gonna fight.
Speaker 3: It's funny that you say you find that interesting, But I like no offense, Grace. But I I consider that you would probably do exactly that I should.
Speaker 2: I do think that I can see it happened. I just think if the situation was so dire, like I don't, I.
Speaker 1: Just don't have it in me to keep fighting.
Speaker 2: I'm tired, I'm done. Do you want me go?
Speaker 4: Would you even try, like fight one zombie or would you just be like no?
Speaker 2: What it's too much.
Speaker 4: I would maybe try for a brief period to go live in the woods away from it, but the second it got really hard, i'd be like, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, I'm actually out.
Speaker 2: Would you fight, Laura? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like not, Well, I'm pretty poorly skilled after having kids, Like I used to be.
Speaker 1: Really fit, because now you're running your we literally I used.
Speaker 3: To be really fit, and I think I could do quite well in a post world apocalypse, but now, after having two kids, not enough sleep, I've lost all skills.
Speaker 2: I reckon i'd be really good.
Speaker 1: You would be.
Speaker 2: I reckon. You gave me some nun chucks and some stuff. I reckon I be borderline ninja.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I used to say?
Speaker 3: So this is a this is a very rogue tangent. But I studied basket making at university.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I don't want Laura on my team. If there's a zombie, you.
Speaker 1: Might need a basket, and I could make one so great.
Speaker 3: To put my weapons in my nunchucks, Laura, I made this basket, Brittany, to put on the zombies heads.
Speaker 2: What's the basket gonna do?
Speaker 3: I think a basket would come in for handy. What if you're fishing you need to forage and.
Speaker 2: Collect the fighting for your life. You can't fish? Do you still need food? Do you know how hard it is to fish? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Look, we've got a big show for you, guys.
Speaker 3: Make me a.
Speaker 2: Fishing rod, not a basket.
Speaker 3: You know you might not listen to us for life lessons, but coming up there is an Australian a woman who's just turned one hundred years old, and she has some very important life lessons to impart on all of us. They're very sweet and we're gonna be talking about a day.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, Katie.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Also the song for the pick me up.
Speaker 4: Song to get you moving in case you haven't already moving with our zombie.
Speaker 2: Chat, it's cut and move Give it Up? Do you know this song? Do I know this song? Baby? Give it up?
Speaker 1: Give it up, Baby give it up?
Speaker 4: Well, yous does in the zombie poo.
Speaker 3: Now we have such a feel good story for you today.
Speaker 2: There is a woman.
Speaker 3: Her name is Betty Woodhams and she has just recently turned one hundred years old.
Speaker 4: She actually looks incredible. She doesn't she undy's giving sixty five dracon I don knows great.
Speaker 3: She's definitely been punching some vitamin, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: She always wears a hat, she said, So I really love this.
Speaker 3: I read this article like just the other day, and I thought it was very sweet, because often you get some real batty advice from people who have made it to the old century. But I think Betty's advice around how to live life and how to lean into like the really great moments of life is something that we can all take a bit of advice from. One of the quotes that she had to say was her happiness in life over the last century has been about great friends, a balanced diet, no regrets, and always wearing a hat. She says, try to stay happy even when things may seem like they are getting the better of you. There really is something good in everything. Relaxing with a glass of wine at dinner or enjoying the odd champagne with a friend or two always.
Speaker 2: Helps as well.
Speaker 4: Sounds like she's really lived alive. Like she's just saying friends, wine, chocolate. That sounds brilliant. But she always, she said, she has like really good food too. So she said, I eat everything more chocolate than I should. I drink full cream milk as well, and wine with dinner every single night. Go off, Betty, Betty, go off. I have not had full cream milk. Do you know this is my problem? I'm gonna diet fifty. I've not had full cream milk my entire life. I've never drunk milk.
Speaker 3: I don't think full cream milk is the elixa to whether you make it to a hundred or not bred because you gastro So I'm gonna say no calcium for strong bones.
Speaker 2: That's really important for aging.
Speaker 3: The reason why I liked this is because I think often we get so caught up in stuff as where like in our thirties or our forties or our fifties, and the things that you worry about are not the things that matter when you make it to ripe old age, if you're lucky enough to make it to that age. And like her talking about how she's enjoyed all different kinds of food, how she's been able to enjoy her life without it being about the certain way that she looked or how she presented to other people. You know, when you're in your thirties, you look back on your twenties and you go, God, I wish I appreciated how hot I was in my twenties, and when you're in your forties, you no, But if she's true, because like, have you seen me in my twenty When you're young, you can never appreciate like how lucky you are to be the version of yourself that you are then, And it's only with the beauty of hindsight that you go, oh wow, Like you know, I wish I had the ability to appreciate those years more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember some advice that I heard from somewhere. I think of someone famous. I don't think anyone told it to me. It's like, if you're not going to care about it or remember it, or it's not going to be an issue in five years, don't let it be an issue now. And I think that that is really rings true when you think of the things that get you down, like sometimes think of how much getting stuck in traffic in the morning or road rage.
Speaker 2: You think of how much I can throw you off for your whole day.
Speaker 4: It's such a stupid little thing when you think about it. Are you going to think about it next week or in five years? No, but we do let ourselves dwell on it.
Speaker 3: But also imagine getting to one hundred years old. And being able to confidently say that you don't have any regrets about how you live life, Like what a joy that is. I had a really interesting conversation recently with Dave Hughes who so many of you will know Hughesy. It was just an I'm a celebrity, get me out of here, and when I was over there in Africa, we were on a bus trip on the way back from shooting one day and he said, like, one of the best things about him doing comedy is that it's given him this incredible sense to be able to really appreciate when life doesn't go to plan and when life is actually a little bit shit, because great things can still come from it, like whether it's funny content or turning it into a skit. There's always moments from every single thing that you experience in life that you can look at from a positive way, even if it is totally not what you had planned for your life, and even if it's not in any way a good experience, but there's often this little silver slither lining in there as well.
Speaker 1: You know what else I love or other quote, I love, oh God, eat, pray.
Speaker 2: Love, No, You're just on the edge of my tongue. Oh we're we're all waiting or you threw me hang on one's risk it for the biscuit. But that's not what I was thinking. No, Oh, I've got it.
Speaker 4: Great life isn't a dress rehearsal. It's the show. This is the show.
Speaker 2: Now, there's no dress rehearsal. There's no second chance. It's like, you got to live your life.
Speaker 4: But before we wrap this up, I do want to say the best part about this for me is when you think, like, how would I spend my hundredth birthday, she went and did her favorite thing to do in the world, which is go plant shopping at Bunnings. And I just think that that is the most wholesome, beautiful thing, And so I think that's what you would do if you're a hundred lo I do it now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'll do that for my fortieth.
Speaker 2: It's coming up next year. So last week, if you.
Speaker 4: Listened, we were discussing Benny Blanco, who is Selena Gomez's fiance. We were discussing his like weird Valentine's Day gift that he gave Selena where he filled a bathtub.
Speaker 1: Of cheese cheese.
Speaker 4: But what's it called like that really fake American.
Speaker 2: No, it's Questo cheese.
Speaker 4: He filled a bathtub with Queso cheese and then he like led her to it with Dorito's.
Speaker 2: It was really weird thing.
Speaker 4: Well, this week he's back in the media for something a little bit different. Still involves the bathroom, but he's talking about his shower habits, or maybe even lack thereof.
Speaker 2: Have a listen.
Speaker 5: Okay, I might not get to shower every day, but when I do, when I feel like I deserve it, I'm in there for so long contemplating life. I sit down in every shower I go into. Have you ever cried in the shower? It's incredible? Do you cry in the shower? Sometimes you just have to have a good cry.
Speaker 2: He sounds bit manic, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was against the cheese bathtub. But what I will say is I do relate to Benny Blanco in this. There's nothing I lot more in my life. My fiancee Ben knows is than a shower. I will shower multiple times a day. I know this isn't great. If there's water restrictions, I'll stick to them, but I have long shower life.
Speaker 1: She's just saying, for a disclaimer.
Speaker 4: And I have a water tank, a rain tank that's also a lie that's heated.
Speaker 2: By my solar panels.
Speaker 4: And I will sit down in the shower and it's my favorite time to think. I sit on the ground and I let the water run over me, and sometimes I just press my head against the shower wall. If you walked in on me, you think that something was dire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't need to walk in on you. I know that you need therapy. That's different, okay, don't it's my time where it's something.
Speaker 2: About feeling safe four walls around you.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's something like being back in the womb because it's like hot, warm way and you're in a like the fetal position crying.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's similar.
Speaker 3: Firstly, i'm surprised that we're talking about Benny Blanco twice in two weeks.
Speaker 2: That was a real wildcard for me.
Speaker 1: Secondly, I don't get it. I would never see.
Speaker 2: You don't get it because you don't shower.
Speaker 1: I do show you don't. I shower more than heater.
Speaker 4: You shower your feet in the bathroom sink. That is the truth. But I also shower at least once a day. There's no way I'm going for twenty four hours without a shower. Like I shower every single day. I'm a morning shower.
Speaker 3: Love to get up have a shower at like five am, six am. I just sometimes I'm so tired in the evening that I can't be bothered to shower, so.
Speaker 1: I just wash the essentials.
Speaker 4: It doesn't check out if you're only showering once a day. It should be nighttime so you can go to your bed clean. I know, I feel like you're doing it backwards. You're going to bed with poop particles on you, You're going to bed with dirt germs, and you're putting them in your clean bear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it upsets my husband quite a bit. He's like, just go and have a shower. But I'm like, it's eleven o'clock.
Speaker 1: At nine, I'm so tired.
Speaker 4: It's also weird to me that he made the point of saying, like, I don't get to shower every day, but when I do, what.
Speaker 1: Are you doing? No, he said, when I deserve it. You don't have to earn a shower pal. Everyone can have one.
Speaker 3: You've got enough money, you've married to see you, you're all billionaire.
Speaker 1: You deserve a shower more than anybody.
Speaker 2: Go and have one.
Speaker 3: You also just coverage yourself in fond cheese last week. Please go and have a shower.
Speaker 1: The match cheese.
Speaker 4: What do you think constitutes deserving a shower like earning a shower? What do you think he has to do that day, like heavy lifting, some sort of manual work.
Speaker 2: Or do you think he has to achieve something in his life?
Speaker 1: No, I think he's look by the sounds of things.
Speaker 3: Showering is a very emotional process for this man, and so he probably needs to have I don't know, gone through something, But I don't think that that's how we need to face a shower. I do not have enough time in my morning or in my day to sit down on the floor of my shower cry and contemplate life. I have two kids that are sitting there at the window, going Mummy, I didn't wein my nappy last night. That's literally the conversation that happened this morning whilst I was trying to have a shower.
Speaker 4: No, you can stand and cry. We understand. You don't have time to sit and cry.
Speaker 2: We got it.
Speaker 1: There's always time, britt. I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: If you were gifted a scratchy and you won a lot of money off the back of it. Do you think that there is an expectation to share the winnings of that scratchy or the lotto with the person who gave.
Speaker 2: You the tickets.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've thought about this many times? Actually, how many times?
Speaker 1: If you want to scratchy? No more than like seven by.
Speaker 2: No, I just dream about the day. But I think it depends on two things. Who gave it to you and how much was one? Do you think so?
Speaker 4: If I give you a lottery ticket Laura for a birthday, you win forty million dollars and you don't give me something that I'm pierced off. But if you win ten thousand dollars, I'd just be stoked for you and wouldn't want anything.
Speaker 2: I'd be like cool, because it's that's a big amount. But it's not going to go buy you a house. It's not life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But if you're winning like a millions of bucks and you were that selfish that you don't give me anything back, then I'd be I'd probably cancel the radio show.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, look I wouldn't care because I'd have forty million dollars.
Speaker 2: So I'd be pretty hot.
Speaker 1: I'd be pretty happy about it.
Speaker 3: Well, look, the reason why this has come up is because there is a family who has been ripped apart over a scratchy. Basically, what happened is at Christmas time, this twenty two year old guy who was hosting Christmas at his house, they had bad Santa, you know where you do like the Santa Christmas.
Speaker 2: Swap my secret Santa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Secret Santa.
Speaker 3: But basically you can kind of swap it around, and you can steal other people's gifts as well, and it's usually like a bad center is like a terrible gift that you get given. Now, the eighty five year old grandmother had given these two scratches and they were like super cheap.
Speaker 2: What were they?
Speaker 3: Ten dollars scratches. Now he won forty thousand dollars off the back of it, and he did decent. Yeah, it's a lot of money. Forty thousand dollars of a ten dollars scratchy.
Speaker 2: You are literally winning. You're up.
Speaker 3: So he didn't tell his family straight away because he was worried that his family would have an verse reaction to it or expect something from it. You know, Eventually, came out that he'd won this money, and he decided to give each person who was at the Christmas party two hundred and fifty dollars, which still worked out to be quite a sum once you took everyone to account. This has ripped apart his family, with them calling him selfish, them calling him cruel, and saying that he is, you know, not doing the right thing by not sharing this money equally.
Speaker 1: And I don't agree.
Speaker 3: I think if you win something off the back of a present that you've been given, there shouldn't be an expectation that you evenly share it with everyone who was there.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is different because firstly, I do think he's a bit selfish if he's not given his eighty two year old grandma who bought him eighty two. She's not like she might not even be able to have a retirement fund. Who knows, anyway, That's my first thought. The other thing in this particular situation that changes things is if the idea of this bad Santa. It's not just a Chris Kringle, right, It's like you get a gift.
Speaker 2: And that's it, that's your gift. But this one is like you can steal people's gifts.
Speaker 4: So if I I had the forty thousand dollars and then someone took it from me, then I would be like, bro, you've got to get know.
Speaker 3: In my mind, scratchies are like a lazy present, right, and ninety nine point nine percent of scratchies result in absolutely nothing. But in the instance that it results in something, then that should be the person who got given it as a gift, like that is their thing because all odds are against them that they're going to get anything. So it's like such a joy and an unexpected thing that they got something out of that Scratchyet.
Speaker 4: But imagine the poor person there that literally had that life changing forty thousand dollars in their hand and then they're about to open it and someone took it from you.
Speaker 2: You'd be so dirty.
Speaker 3: And I never know they might have been the ones who swapped it out themselves. We have a bit of an urban story legend in our family. So my two grandparents growing up, my grandparents on my dad's side and my grandparents on my mom's side, had a little bit of a rift over a winning lottery ticket. So the story goes both sets of grandparents went in on buying a lottery ticket together and they chose their numbers, but my dad's parents held on to the lottery ticket and so everyone was waiting the lottery calms. It gets drawn and my mum's parents find out that they have won the lotto right a ticket has won much Apparently it was like forty thousand dollars then, which was so long ago that it would be like winning hundreds of thousands of dollars, like it was a lot of money for them back in the day. But my dad's parents said that they had bought other lottery tickets in the same draw, and my nan had never written the numbers down, So my nana felt entitled to some of this money and felt like that they weren't being honest, and it just completely ripped the two sides of the family and their friendships apart.
Speaker 2: Who do you believe?
Speaker 3: I have no idea, And I also like, bless my mum's mum, you know, rest in peace, but like I know that she can hold a grudge real bad.
Speaker 1: So part of me is like, I don't know who to believe.
Speaker 3: But that would be a really tricky situation, especially if you did go in on one shared ticket, but then you bought multiple other tickets for yourself.
Speaker 2: And you don't know which one was the original one that you bought.
Speaker 3: How do you navigate that? Do you share it or do you keep it to yourself? They had a lovely pool.
Speaker 4: Honestly, if I win lotto, I'm not telling a soul, there'll be signs, but I will not tell.
Speaker 2: You I will. I may have twenty five dogs and live on it.
Speaker 4: You super you got the Maldives, But I'm not telling anyone to.
Speaker 3: Be like, really, wow, you must have really negotiated a different contract to me.
Speaker 1: Be well done.
Speaker 4: I've got gold grills in my tea.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think that there's an obligation to share, but everyone says that they would. When push comes to shove and you're actually in the situation, I wonder how most people would.
Speaker 4: I'd share with you if you promise me now, you'd share with me. Yeah, I'll share with you, sure, Pinky? All right?
Speaker 1: Well that isn't it from us today?