Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, sweet angels, it's podcast time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Off the back of the amazing question that for me posed last week, which is would you rather be special or happy? On the drive to cater I was thinking about if there was a difference between good kind and nice and if we could define those and which one we are. So let me spend the next ten minutes talking about it.
Speaker 1: Have a little listen. I want you to in your mind's I imagine who am I? Who do I relate to? In this?
Speaker 2: My good?
Speaker 1: Am I kinder? Am I nice?
Speaker 2: That's steep?
Speaker 1: Let's go. This is Flex and Frooms on Kita Lexie.
Speaker 4: As always, I want to ask you a question you always have insightful answers. Flex, What is your petty relationship deal breaker?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I have one, because I'm not a very accommodating person generally, But I don't think those things are petty.
Speaker 1: Like I just don't vibe with people I don't vibe with.
Speaker 3: But I think the pettiest thing to do is to have a deal breaker and not break up with someone. Ooh, Like I'm snip snip at the first time and it's not going to work, because I have heaps of relationships at work off the dome.
Speaker 2: So am I going to change it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like I don't you know how a lot of people find that, like, oh you know that the bit of friction.
Speaker 2: Here, a bit of friction there. Let's just work on it.
Speaker 1: There's no need because I've had I've had heaps.
Speaker 3: Of friendships and relationships before where it was like good off the off the bat, and the problems come when more is exposed about one another, not just we're clearly not compatible as friends or more and we're just too desperate to recognize it.
Speaker 1: I think I understand what you're saying. What is yours?
Speaker 2: Do you have one, two, three or few?
Speaker 1: I do? But they are so incriminating.
Speaker 4: Oh come on, well I can talk about them in the past tense. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely used to have deal.
Speaker 4: Breaking, of course, but their deal break is that if someone did it again, it's me, I would think.
Speaker 1: That it's sexist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dog me is rude, and.
Speaker 1: I never want to speak to again.
Speaker 2: Dred percent.
Speaker 4: So I have like very particular things that I'm particular about personally, like some.
Speaker 3: Very particular things that you're particularly about personally, And one of them is not knowing how to speak.
Speaker 4: Like sometimes I can't get over certain physical aspects of someone, but they're things that other people like like for example, big noses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always attracted.
Speaker 4: To them, but don't want to be Wait, yeah, I don't want to procreate with somebody.
Speaker 1: With a large nose.
Speaker 4: Large noses coming in all shapes and forms.
Speaker 1: However, am I attracted to be with big noses? Absolutely? Adrien Brodie from The penis enormous, honker. Give it to me.
Speaker 2: Wait, so you're saying this is a deal breaker, though.
Speaker 4: It depends what frame of mind I'm in. If I'm in a very self critical mindset, the nose is setting me off, you gotta go other things. Dirt under the fingernails, Oh, of course, sickening, but don't touch me.
Speaker 3: What if he's an arborist, a haughty culturalist, a gardener, landscaper.
Speaker 1: I'm still okay. They're too long? Okay, if your.
Speaker 4: Nails, Yeah, if you got the white pit, you're a man.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean like actually having length?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know when they've got like the white Oh, I can't even that's my deal breaker.
Speaker 1: Forget the nose. I can deal with the nose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think of petty ones. But all is fair in love, lust, infatuation and dating.
Speaker 4: You know what is my deal breaker? People who scratch themselves. Oh you don't want to scratch? How do you get it off? The microphone?
Speaker 1: Flex?
Speaker 2: You did to have papery skin? Yuck?
Speaker 1: Everybody, we don't love that, you know, And he's having aniption in the sound booth.
Speaker 2: It turns out I'm delaid back one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like.
Speaker 4: Looking through other people, some of the other ones alike, when I found out that my then girlfriend now X was an adamant young eartha. I don't know if you know what young earth is. It means that, like we just came out of nowhere astrology.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 4: It's fun to indulge, and we've all read our horoscopes at least once. But if you start talking to me about mercury retrograde and how that actually affects my life, I'm taking a strategic break.
Speaker 3: Then it's my no to capital a atheists, A petty one no, cause, like, I don't mind any kind of belief system. If your ideas on anything aren't a little bit fluid, I can't do it.
Speaker 1: If I already know you and we're friends.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with it.
Speaker 3: But if we're talking like internet dating top line stuff, I'm like, you've been ruled out.
Speaker 1: That's kind of petty because you could change their mind.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 4: Just want people to go home, have a think in your own bed. What are some petty petty relationships? Things that are I get hung up on? And does that mean that's why I'm single?
Speaker 3: I believe nothing is petty if it bothers you hard hard disgraving on it because.
Speaker 2: Like, realistically, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think you have weak resolve, not you, but hypothetically people have weak resolve if they're not comfortable enough to say this is what I want for myself and I don't want anything else. Like, I think we need to stop making people feel bad if they have preferences that are understood by other people, because you have to date that person. So if you're like, I can't do the dirty fingernail Harry Potter reading Manicurist.
Speaker 2: Then you can't do that.
Speaker 3: It's when you have to start justifying these things to others and like stop making your dating life a spectator sport, and maybe then you'll have more success, because I think people really date with optics in mind, we will look like if I date this person, and what will look.
Speaker 1: Like if I say, like this person, get over it? Flick, and I know.
Speaker 4: That you love future Yes, aliens, Yes, yes, tech, Yes, what's going to happen next?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 4: So I found this fact that I thought you would really like. Oh, apparently there is such a thing as floating cities that are currently being manufactured.
Speaker 2: It's giving Noah's ark.
Speaker 4: It's giving Noah's ark, and it's very very, I guess, pertinent to what's happening in Sydney or what's happened in the last few weeks. We've seen floods again. Anyway, Apparently last week in New York, the United Nations unveiled its prototype for the world's first floating city.
Speaker 2: Where is it? Where they're gonna put it?
Speaker 4: It's off the south coast of Korea in the port of Busan, and it's a hyper futuristic OCEANIX Busan is what it's called. I could be saying that incorrectly. It's being developed via a partnership between the UN Maritime development ocean X and Superstar Danish architect Jacques Ingles. Basically, this marks the first implementation of an ambitious long term plan to build multiple floating cities around the world in order to mitigate the risks of the rising sea levels.
Speaker 1: Floating I was thinking of a city.
Speaker 2: I was like, how a floating thing of the yes on the water. Yes, okay, but the mold has.
Speaker 3: Been doing that. Thailand's been doing that. They've been building a little floating communities.
Speaker 1: Have they?
Speaker 2: I swear?
Speaker 1: Oh, well, this is.
Speaker 4: Like a city so big one Saturistic. Busan is South Korea's second largest city. The shipping hub is a home to three point four million people. So it's doing large, large scale. When can we go experience it? I'm not sure, but listen to this, Okay. The floating addition to the city will consist of modular, interconnected floating panels spanning three six point three hectares, which is enough space for a community of twelve thousand people.
Speaker 2: Eventually, a lot all the items.
Speaker 3: Like the elite I'm going to go live on these floating cities while we wrot on land.
Speaker 1: Well, eventually it's going to expand to hundreds of thousands.
Speaker 2: That's like w'm clothing companies like, we're just going to start with the stre sizes.
Speaker 3: Eventually, we'll extend our range in to plus sizes and then decades have gone by and they haven't done it.
Speaker 1: That happens, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: The one percenters are going to reside and is floating the city is while we struggle out here eating all the cross We yeah.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be on the city flex. According to the UN, this is a bit sobering, but we'll just end on this. Over ninety percent of mega cities worldwide are vulnerable to rising sea levels. We cannot continue to build cities the way New York and Naerobi were built.
Speaker 1: Naerobi? What's Naarobi?
Speaker 2: Kenya? Is it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: If the planet succeeds, bijaq Ingles will have a decent claim to be the most significant architect in twenty first century.
Speaker 2: That sounds really awesome. I'm excited about that.
Speaker 1: We essentially are a floating city Australia.
Speaker 2: Isn't every continent at floating city?
Speaker 1: By lest standard?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: This is flex and froomes on Kita.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Last week you asked if I would rather be happy or special? Not me personally, but you post the question would you rather be happy or special? I said happy because I already feel special. You said special. We went into a bit of a tet a tet bit of a disc about it. We didn't come to a conclusion, but I don't think that's the point of those conversations. It's just vibes and no context. I've been doing this thing where I'm trying not to listen to stuff in the morning and just be with my thoughts, and I was thinking about whether or not there's a difference between being nice, kind, or good, and if I could distinctly figure out the difference for myself, and if I think I am any So, if you had to say, what's the difference between the three, I have got this downpat nice, kind.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 4: People who are nice are polite, front facing, polite. The mask is respectful, smile, eye contact, listening. If you're kind, you are compassionate, you were doing things for your community. You are acting altruistically, if there is such a thing. Yeah, And if you are good. I think this is a religious concept to do with doing things that are good, like in the standard of some higher being or someone that you respect. I think people that are good are acting in ways that they think people they respect, God, a community leader or other people would think is good rather than bad. But I think good is one that is a very particular question that's good to ask people because it shows what their values are, in.
Speaker 2: The sense of do you think you're a good person? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you you know that's a true question.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: Enough flex mummy stories to know where this is going to set up every time.
Speaker 3: But of the three, would you which one would you say? You're perceived as most often being good? Kind, or nice?
Speaker 1: Nice? And I would like to be nice. Nice is my number one favorite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the rest of like, if you're kind, you're a suckass. If you're good, you don't trust yourself. But if you're nice, that's something you can control. And yeah, it's just like surface, shallow level nice.
Speaker 2: But I like it.
Speaker 1: I like being nice and sweet.
Speaker 2: I like that a lot. You bring me, the critical thinker, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I definitely think being good is about morality, like good or bad in a ethics and morality way, like it is not good to murder people, it is good to recycle.
Speaker 4: See, the bad is obvious, being bad is obvious, but the good isn't obvious.
Speaker 3: Yes, because usually being good is just being not bad. And even then, what is that? I definitely think Being kind is about inner altruism, like ensuring that you are paying it forward for those around you with no expectation of a return of any kind or even acknowledgment.
Speaker 2: That's kindness.
Speaker 3: To be nice is to just be like, to uphold social norms, okay, like to say please and thank you. It's nice, you know, to you know, be friendly is to be nice. And I think it's probably I don't know, it's my favorite.
Speaker 1: Nice is your favorite? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think nice is my favorite to do and to experience because something about it being fleeting and transactional, and something about the frequency of niceness feels good to me that you're going to encounter nice people doing nice things all day. And I think that sometimes it's nice not to dig too deep into someone's intentions about why they behaved in a way that was beneficial to you.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's just nice to cop it.
Speaker 3: Remember we were speaking about you asked me whether I would prefer a waiter or a waitress who was, you know, really on it with the drink refiels and getting the order right, but they just had very snappy personality and just not that great to be around. Or would I rather the person who forgot the order, was a bit sloppy on the drink refils, but was really like nice and charming the nice person, because it isn't that common to experience people being nice for no reason.
Speaker 4: See, I don't like that because they're being nice because they're getting paid, Whereas if someone is being grumpy and serving me, I'm like, yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 3: But I disagree though, because in that instance, like being nice isn't necessarily part of the job.
Speaker 2: They just need to get your food to you and put on the table.
Speaker 4: But then if I want them to do that job first and foremost, if they're not doing that job, the niceness doesn't serve me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think it's like subjective. There are tons of I feel like in the hospitality industry, people are exceptional at their job or so so, and most people are so so right. I mean, I've never worked in front facing hospital like that, so I don't know how hard it is to remember an order or to get it done right. I'm sure it's more complicated than we would like to believe. But I think that I like to experience niceness because often, like kindness isn't necessarily the nicest thing you can do.
Speaker 2: For someone like, you know, cruels be kind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like in some instances where like sometimes kindness is a little bit mean.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like some of the ways.
Speaker 3: My mum would have reminded me to do good things, like you know, if you're not careful with your phone, you might lose it. The kind thing in that instance was for her to remind me that, like there are consequences to your actions. But her, like her tone sucked, and so I was like, that's not really nice. She wasn't focused on being nice. She was trying to instill like object permanence around me.
Speaker 2: She's like stopped losing his stuff.
Speaker 1: Kind people piss me off. Oh I hate it, Like you're just making me feel bad for me. Accint, really, what kind of kindness are you thinking of?
Speaker 4: Kindness gives me like the person in school who would sell all of their chocolates on the chocolate fundraise that not eat.
Speaker 1: Them all, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like they're like girl scouts and like school captains of primary schools too much like more examples.
Speaker 2: I feel like you been through it. I have it.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: They are like really good at mass as well as English.
Speaker 2: Yes enough, double whammyh.
Speaker 1: I just prefer nicess. Like some of the most.
Speaker 4: Lot alive moments that I've ever had in my life are so simple.
Speaker 1: It's like somebody smiling at me on the street. I never forget.
Speaker 4: I've probably spoken about this before because it was such a formative experience in my life that was so simple. Driving along the freeway in Melbourne and I looked to my left. I was like five, and there's this really hot guy and he looked at me and he smiled, and I'll never forget it.
Speaker 1: It stuck with you since.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I remember this really hot, like young twenty year old guy looking at me.
Speaker 1: Sounds terrible, but I thought, yep, that is so nice.
Speaker 4: It warmed my heart. And now whenever people smile at me on the street, I'm quite a smiley person, so I just I just don't I often don't realize that I'm smiling. So when someone smiles back, I'm like, try and do it even more. It's so it's so nice people smiling.
Speaker 3: No to young potentially ugly kids spilling chocolates for a good cause.
Speaker 4: Ugly shout benches were running around the suburbs.
Speaker 1: Feel bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you. Good on the bottom of the list don't respond to it. What's good?
Speaker 2: Who knows?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: I do like kind, but I will say that the only reason I know to be kind is anytime I'm being selfless, and that's not necessarily fun. It just feels good to treat people well, but like not my main priority. Like the kind thing for.
Speaker 2: Me to do is b d D always, so my friend's gonna have a good.
Speaker 3: Time, designated driver. That's the kind thing to do. It's also quite nice.
Speaker 1: I remember you.
Speaker 4: We were at an event a couple of months ago, and you were like, who needs a lift home? Someone's from Bondi, someone's from northern Beaches. You drive everyone home. I almost took you up on the offer, but I thought I would be taking advantage of your kindness.
Speaker 2: But so you wouldn't though.
Speaker 3: Because in my instance, I think kindness is like a two parter, being willing to be willing, to be willing to extend yourself for others with no immediate return, and to learn how to accept kindness as well. That's because I think people don't respond well to kindness, and I think there's like some kind of something attached to it, like an ulterior motive, where if I do this thing for you, then I.
Speaker 2: Gotta do something in return. It's a blah blah blah. It's like no, sometimes it's just good to like keep the family close.
Speaker 1: As Drake said, you're listening to Flex and Frooms on Cada.
Speaker 2: I want to do a bit of a MythBuster.
Speaker 1: I tried to google this, I really did.
Speaker 3: I spent about two to three minutes to give or take, and I thought, there's no need because I know a Balley frequenter right here, one who's been quite recently.
Speaker 2: I could just ask you se.
Speaker 4: Maniac, sweety nice Cuda, Princess Changu Cutie barely breathing.
Speaker 3: So I was watching his TikTok and this guy is currently in Bali doing those classic you know.
Speaker 2: Here's what I got. Here's my hall.
Speaker 3: He's wayed in the day or whatever, and so he's standing, got his tripoted up in front of his bed, and he's standing holding all of his shopping bags for the day. So there's like a red one, a black and white striped one, a few miscellaneous ones. Looks like a regular hall to me until I scroll to the comments and people say, judging by the color bags you have, I can tell you paid way too much for that stuff. I said, what and it wasn't a once off comment. Majority were like, oh okay, yeah, you definitely got played, You definitely got ripped off. They can tell you're a foreigner, they can tell your tourists haha, you don't know how to shop in barley properly. I'm thinking, what is happening here? Because I've never heard of this before. So I did a bit of research. I typed into Google color of barley bags? What does it mean? Because if enough people in the comments are on the same kind of wavelength, then this must be general knowledge or general trivia. So I'm on this website called coconuts dot co. I like it, just not a dot org, but I trust it. So it's saying that or it's upposing the question. Do merchants give you color coded bags based on your haggling skills?
Speaker 2: Ooh right?
Speaker 3: So people are under the impression that depending on how much or how little you haggle with the merchants at the market, they'll give you a color coded bag to signal to other merchants that you are worth dealing with, or that they should lay it on thick or whatever that might mean. So the person in the article says that you get a black plastic bag if you bargain really well and got a good price. You get a red bag if you've got the really inflated tourist price, and you get the black and white bag if you're the kind of person who enjoys the sport of haggling, and you make it really fun for both the merchant owner, the market store owner, and yourself. Now, when I went back to this person's TikTok, I went to some of their mentions to see that they'd responded to a video, and he just said, I've come here obviously making so much more money than the average person here. It's not costing me anymore that I'm comfortable with to pay full price. I'm really comfortable with that fact. I don't go to places like Bali looking for a deal because it defeats the purpose they're rebuilding their economy. They don't need me saying I don't want to pay three dollars for a Bintang T shirt.
Speaker 2: You can afford it.
Speaker 3: So, as someone who's been to Bali recently, can you confirm or deny.
Speaker 1: Didn't do any shopping.
Speaker 4: Oh, however, didn't simulate the economy please, but kind of similar. I would go to restaurants and it just happened to be as much money as Australia.
Speaker 2: That's a thing.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 4: However, the issue with that compared to the merchants is when you buy someone from a merchant that's maybe more than what it's worth, they get the money directly, Whereas if you're going to a restaurant where price is inflated to Australian prices, the workers aren't getting the money. They're still getting paid Barley wages. So the people that set up the restaurants in Bali, Australias, what are they called when they live?
Speaker 2: When you live in Attle, nomads expats, expats that set up these big restaurants.
Speaker 4: They're making a killing and they're paying their staff like three dollars an hour. That's when I'm feeling like not good. Only then, only then will I go to.
Speaker 1: The markets and extend my municipal Okay, you've lost me.
Speaker 3: It's a shame that my only Barley correspondent couldn't give me backs. Then we have to seek our information to say that. Granted, when I did do Google's, I warn't a lot of articles, So I feel like, is this like a word of mouth thing that you get told by a local when you're there.
Speaker 2: Not sure, but we'll have to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Let's ask a Balinese people. We've got a Balinese friend, you.
Speaker 2: Guys who saved you from drowning?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I do you have anyone? See?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in your own time. We'll just give them a little little message and ask him what's up.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast for more.
Speaker 1: Tu needs a k O on D A B or stream it on iHeartRadio.