Speaker 1: She's on the Money. She's on the Money. My name's Tatasha Bamblet.
Speaker 2: I'm a proud First Nations woman and I'm here to acknowledge country. Hello, beautiful friends, we gather on the lands of the Aboriginal people. We thank acknowledge and respect the Aboriginal people's land that we're gathering on today. Take pleasure in all the land and respect all that you see. She's on the Money podcast acknowledges culture, country, community and connections, bringing you the tools, knowledge and resources for you to thrive.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that helps you feel more in control of your financial future. You've joined us for a deep dive. We're going to do just that, Beck. We're diving headfirst into a subject from the world of money and mindset so that our community can come out with a deeper understanding of it all. As I mentioned today, I am being joined by none other than miss Beck sayed Hi and Beck, I can't wait to hear your take on this topic. I feel like I've blindsided you, but you are ready. I promise, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: I'm ready. Thank you so much for having me. I'm excited to dive into things, So why do I have the feelings sweek? Subject is going to be a little bit polarizing because it is okay cool.
Speaker 1: I have been jumping up and down for the last couple of weeks telling people because I think people sometimes want to hear what they want to hear, not what they need to hear. And sometimes when it comes from me, you go back, Victoria, you were my friend, and I go, yes, I am, but I actually care deeply about you, and sometimes I need to tell you things that are going to put you in the best possible position. Like sometimes I'm not your best friend. Sometimes I'm your big sister, like I still love you. You think I'm annoying sometimes, but I really do deeply want the best for you. Scary, So let's just preface it with this episode might get a little bit uncomfortable for you. We're talking about something that thrives in group chats and open tabs every week. I would say they're the financial decisions that are killing your cash flow. You know exactly what I'm talking about, Beck, and our community knows as well. It's that impulse by It's the little sweet treat that gets you through a hard week or maybe it's the regular expense with the more long term consequences, whether my friend, you are in denial or you've become quite skilled at defending questionable money decisions with excuses like h victoria, but you should see my cost per use this week. Unfortunately, I step up to call you out, wow, and kindly call you out obviously and hopefully call you into reconsidering your spending behavior, because, as I said, I just genuinely want what's best for you. To walk you through it. We're going to be sharing some of the psychology behind these behaviors, some of the more common yet questionable money decisions both we and our community have defended before, and finally habits that will actually help you build wealth. But before we get their, miss Beec say ed, let's go to a really short break. Don't go anywhere, my friends, welcome back. I know that you aren't going to be surprised by this, but humans don't always make the most rational decisions when it comes to our financial behaviors.
Speaker 3: Beck, that's crazy. I can't understand why. I just I want to know why we're like this. I mean, I can understand that, you know, people have different upbringings and stuff, like that. But I know that there are plenty of people who seem to do well and can manage their money. But why do so many of us still make questionable choices when, like in most situations, we do know better technically.
Speaker 1: We know better technically. Well, if we have a little bit of a step back, we can look at the neuroscience of it all. And there's actually a lot more a play now for those of you playing along, I'm not just googling some neuroscience. I'm not a neuroscientist, but I actually do. Beck have two psychology degrees. Go figure that's grad Your girl is an overachiever at best. Seriously, I try very hard. But also that's what I thought I used to want to do before I discovered finance, and then I realized I could marry psychology and finance and impact your behavior. Yeah, that's sick.
Speaker 3: They kind of go hand in hand.
Speaker 1: They to me, they do, and like, I love it, But I think that you deserve that. I guess background on me if we haven't met before. So while you might Beck think that as adults we're pretty good at cost based analysis, in reality, most of our consumer purchasing decisions. Literally, research tells us that it's ninety percent of them are driven by our limbic system, which is the lizard part of our brain that controls our drive and our emotions. I love her, So, beck you get to blame your lizard brain. And this isn't because we are purely emotional creatures. It's because the systems actually work completely subconsciously, and they actually take less of a told to use on our mental loads and rational decision making. Okay, okay, that's why we'd be a little impulsive totally.
Speaker 3: I think it's really good to know. So it's like kind of like not my fault. I enjoy impulse buyers. It's my system, big system.
Speaker 1: It is your olympic system. It is your brain. Okay, your fould.
Speaker 3: I can work with that.
Speaker 1: That and there's a whole bunch of things like dopamine and all of the psychological levers that are pulled when we make financial decisions. While there is, beck As, you probably know a lot of information out there about shopping and how it has the ability to release dopamine in us. You know this idea of like retail therapy, it's actually really about the anticipation, not the actual ownership of that item. That thrills us.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like you just want to do the thing. Yeah, impulsive, We want the impulse, but it doesn't mean that we need to own the boots.
Speaker 3: That's so true.
Speaker 1: Actually, Okay, once we've got it, that's why we're chasing the next tie. Huh so boots, Okay, what's next?
Speaker 3: Yes, that is so true. What you're saying is anything rewards based has the potential to deliver that DoPT mean hit, but there's a bigger payoff in the moment before you buy something that makes.
Speaker 1: It feel so good exactly. Okay, it's like drugs. Literally, we just keep going back for that dopamine here, and it's really good, like at the end of the day. That's why it happens. That's why addictions form, and that's why a retail shopping addiction is actually a genuine addiction. Like and I think some people just flip it off and be like, oh, this isn't legitimate. Oh she's just justifying her spending. Like it is legitimate. It is a feeling inside of you that you can sometimes not control. So I think it's really important to point that out as well. And as we've seen, this has actually been proven throughout the rise of South Korea. So there are dopamine sites that they have developed, which are basically be get There's fake online stores that are created in order to simulate that feeling of shopping. You've got fake items, fake carts, fake delivery trackers that they give you, and it purely fuels this behavior because you're like, I'm gonna do the fake things send me are tracking, Oh it's coming.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's genius.
Speaker 1: I mean it never arrives, that's okay. But what's most interesting is even these sites use a whole bunch of different psychological strategies to make us want to buy things even more.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, dirty like dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like gammifying the fake shopping. Yeah, I see, which I think is really interesting.
Speaker 3: Do you mean like sales offers or dark design tactics or like how they do you go somewhere else to purchase? Or it's like on the website? Why not both?
Speaker 1: Why not both?
Speaker 3: Why not both?
Speaker 1: And once I start reeling them off, you're going to know exactly what I'm talking about. So there's this whole thing called present bias, where we often overvalue immediate rewards relative to the ones that we might receive in the future. So an example of this is the free shipping threshold. Yes, so how often have you bought an extra thing that you actually didn't meet just to meet the free delivery threshold or have it upgraded to express? Like I do that too, and I always have to catch myself. Like the other day, I bought a jacket online and I'd been looking at this jacket for a really long time, and I knew once it came in stock, I wanted to purchase it. So I've been a bit, I don't know, creeping on the website and I was checking if they had it in stock yet they didn't, And like I do this like every week. I don't know if that's crazy behavior or if I just really knew I wanted it. I get it anyway, the second it came in stock, super excited at it to my cart. The second the cart said another ninety dollars until free shipping, I was like, I better check the rest of the store.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, no, ninety dollars is quite a jump, but.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I checked myself and spent my six dollars on shipping. And it is what it is, So wasn't great, but I did what I did.
Speaker 3: That's okay, You're allowed. And like, because the what is immediate, it seems like a better deal than it actually might be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like obviously they're getting an extra ninety bucks out of me for covering my six dollars shipping. Yeah, like that's that's not a good deal. That's me spending more money. Totally in my head, it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's like, oh, I wonder what other items you could enjoy. But I'm like, well, that's silly. That's the I'm just wait as victim to the victim to the system.
Speaker 1: So the system exactly, our little lizard brains can't deal with it. And I want to come back to this point of the conversation a little bit later. But this is also a strategy that many buy now, pay later platforms actually completely exploit. Think about it, The immediate reward of getting that thing that you want now completely outweighs the ongoing pain of the purchase once you have it and having to pay it back, even if it is like better or more financially responsible for you to wait until you can afford it. You just want to buy it in the moment because you're like, but I want it now totally. Even if technically, Beck, do you need it? You'll be like no, but like I need it like I want it like, And it's so crazy how we can individually confuse needs for needs yeah, and once for wants like once for needs and needs for once you know what I mean, And I'll go, Beck, do you need it? And you go yeah, and I'll go yes, is it crucial and critical to your survival? And you're going to go, yes, I need another brown jumper, Yes I do, and like, but we get confused with our own feelings because like, internally you deeply want want that right totally, so it feels like a need. So I don't want you guys thinking I don't get it, like I too. I'm just a girl, like I do suffer from this and it's something that I have to consistently check myself on.
Speaker 3: That's very comforting. So that even you have a lizard brain, you have a lizard brain, so okay, sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. What other tricks he use to take advantage of our limbic brain?
Speaker 1: Okay, So lots of businesses like to use our lizard brain, and heaps of businesses will appeal to our sense of loss of version and our perceptions of the status quo. So this might actually be a little bit more common than you think, and it probably affects you in ways that you hadn't considered before. This isn't just that feeling that you get when you miss out on a really good sale a gift with purchase. Maybe you're and you might not resonate with this, but lots of my friends are going to resonate with this your next mecca beauty loop box. These might be the reason why you haven't switched banks or insurance providers like Yes, because the idea here is that somewhere deep down you are reluctant to lose the consistency or the comfort of what you're currently receiving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you really like it.
Speaker 1: I get it. We like we're humans. We like being comfortable, and change is deeply uncomfortable, even if it's not financially benefiting you. The idea of switching or you having to inconvenience yourself back it triggers this loss of version, and you put it off and it ultimately costs you more in long term. Yes, how many times have you thought I could probably get a better phone plan. Mm, can't be bothered though I don't want to do it, like it's going to put me out. Yeah, inconvenienced. That's actually triggering your loss of version, and you feel like that's a loss, even though it's actually going to be a game. Yes, but your body is telling you I'm losing something, like you're not. Your lizard brain's not articulating that, but you're getting that feeling of loss with the idea that you would have to do some work to achieve that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, true, rude. I know. So it's not just because the process is painful. You're seeing that deep down somewhere, I would rather maintain the status quo, even if it costs me more, just to avoid change, or you're kind of like losing that. Yeah, the familiarity, the comfort of it all that it does cut it kind of sucks.
Speaker 1: Humans inherently hate change. Yes, we hate it. We don't like it.
Speaker 3: It's scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like this could be like small things like if you caught the train to work and there was like it went down a different train line, you inherently wouldn't have liked that, even if it got you to the same place. Same time. You just don't like that it took a different route because that's not the route you would drive. It's why when we're in the car with our friends and they're the driver, and you're driving to somewhere that you know and they go with different route, is it a bad thing back. No, necessarily, because you still got to the same location.
Speaker 3: That's stressful.
Speaker 1: But you didn't like it because they turned left when you would usually like turn right, and you deeply don't like that because your lizard brain likes consistency. Yes, that makes so your lizard brain is like, no, this is not the same I want the same same, same sense. So I want you to think also of cognitive overload, so that decision fatigue that comes with shopping around. You know, I thought it was just me, but it's actually no coincidence that you instantly thought of how painful it might be to change providers or get a better deal or go a different route. Well, your mates driving like that makes me annoyed. Yeah, you know, other people might go that doesn't annoy me. Yeah, you're probably better than me. Your lizard's probably smarter. That's fine. But this is something called prospect theory, and it shows us that we also feel the pain of losses roughly twice as intensely as the pleasure of receiving gains.
Speaker 3: Wow, isn't that route That's really annoying.
Speaker 1: So like the little scale goes up a little bit if we're happy, and then down twice as low if we don't. Oh cool, exactly.
Speaker 3: Cool cool cool.
Speaker 1: So it's not again I want to remind you, it's your lizard brain, not you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And research shows us that even if we know about these strategies, even if I teach you, even if I go, Beck, study this, tell me what is that strategy? You go, yep, got it on paper?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: There's no guarantee that we're going to be less susceptible to them, totally, like you're still got to get it. And so many of them are about operating on this subconscious level or falling back to our limbic lizard brain.
Speaker 3: It's like evolutionarily, we're before even the economy or any kind of like trade, whether it's money or whatever. It's like we're just we were built for this. We're built to be victims to yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's so annoying because like how many times Beck do I say, well, if you know better, you can do better, and like I always say that, and it's like about me personally, Like I'm like cool, if I learn I can do better. Yeah, well maybe not, maybe maybe not. Maybe we can learn and know better and then not do better exactly.
Speaker 3: So like do we send a chairs and are there any hacks to making more financially responsible decisions?
Speaker 1: Yes, there are. I didn't do this episode to make us feel bad about ourselves exactly. I think what might be most helpful is if we work on a case by case basis, using examples from our community. Beck, and we're going to sink our teeth in right after this break. All right, miss Beck sayed, we are back with another deep dive episode devoted to the psychology of spending. We're just about to unpack some of your most unhinged financial decisions. Recently, we asked our community to share some of the money habits that you just can't quit. Now. I say this lovingly. I say this like your your big sister scared. Sometimes some of you are making hectic money choices, and I am here to kindly remind you that there are plenty of others, sometimes better choices you could be making so that you can actually afford the life lifestyle you want and the lifestyle I believe you deserve, like you do deserve, just be financially well off. Back, so does everybody in our community. We've got to find a way for you do not work against yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, help me, help.
Speaker 1: You, help me, help you, help me help you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I've got a few messages and comments from our community, and I thought you could go through. I've given you some screenshots.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You could go through and read some of the questions from our community, and I can tell you what interventions or things I would suggest as a response.
Speaker 3: Perfect, Okay, I love this. I love this. It feels like a game. So that's when we have it is from Emmy. If it's on sale in big signs and stickers and bright lights and whatever other marketing ploy they try, it gets me nearly every time. So what would you do in this situation?
Speaker 1: Just get you two? Because like same, It's almost like if they put sale on it, I'm paying attention even if I didn't want it, I'm like, oh, but what is on sale? I mean?
Speaker 3: And you know the back rat knives always set off. I'm like I got, well, I gotta buy one.
Speaker 1: Why are they always I have questions?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: And then is this right exactly? All right?
Speaker 3: Emmy?
Speaker 1: This sounds a little bit like framing, where offers might not actually be as good as they seem. Like, let's have a think about why they might need the big red sign to sell something to you, right right right, Like if it was so good, wouldn't it sell without the big red sign and the bright lights and the flashy things. It's so true, But they're getting my attention in another way, and you know what, this lizard loves flashy, shiny things. What I would be doing is investigating that offer. So is it actually a competitive deal or is it just marketing? I also want you to revisit your money goals. Let's remember what you're aiming for and stay focused because even if it is cheap and you know what gets me, sometimes I will justify it to myself literally there in the I'll be like knowing full well, I don't need the new top. Wow it's on sale, And then I look at the like fabric and I'm like, wow, that's like woolen cotton, Like that's really good construction. Beck, Yeah, that's not fake, Like, that's good. Do you know what fifty bucks for this good deal?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I might have to pick one up. Yeah, but I get it. We need to remind ourselves was this actually in my budget? Was I planning to purchase this? Could I potentially put twenty four hours between me and my spending on this item? And maybe let's add a buffer present bias like it causes us to overvalue immediate rewards. So maybe that twenty four hours between you and your spending is going to mean that the sale tomorrow looks a little bit dimmer. Yeah, and that's what we're hoping for.
Speaker 3: Right totally. You know, you could do if something's fifty dollars, you could be like, instead of buying it, you say, oh my god, I found fifty bucks on the ground and you've just put it into your bank account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's about a deal, you know what I mean? And you know what, every day I would prefer to f fifty bucks on the ground. Yeah, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 1: Now the next one, okay, it was common. What is it?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: This one comes from Lizzy and.
Speaker 1: You're reading this holding your paper coffee cup.
Speaker 3: I need to get a keep cup.
Speaker 1: I do, but yeah, I'm not attacking the coffee cup.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay. Now, so Lizzie says take away coffee.
Speaker 1: O what did T say?
Speaker 3: Perfectly good machine at home just doesn't hit the spot.
Speaker 1: I understand, I really get it. Mine hits the spot. Come to my house. I'm gonna make you an at home coffee and I think you'll be like Victoria, that is it. I've got it down.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 1: And then we've got a brevel. It's a brevelvel, not a hay thing. But like, as you know, I'm in love with my brevel and I will tell everybody.
Speaker 3: Well I personally, I've started adding things like I'll put milo in mind, like something to make it delicious, and so I look forward to it. But we have a few of these. So T said what Tea said, coffee at work? Even though I bought a coffee machine that I have at home so I wouldn't need it one at work, I just drink more coffe. I think it is the social aspect of it all. Totally just said a dollar ice latte.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, isn't that astronomical?
Speaker 3: It is I've seen ten dollar ones, so rude Taneka said, coffee every day, piano trees, beautiful name my a doll iced oat latte that briefly gives me the will to live each morning one hundred percent fair. And Susie says, my daily coffee. So these are very common.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess like we're all got done.
Speaker 3: We get it and we are all on the same boat.
Speaker 1: And do you know what, beck I did this literally yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got up.
Speaker 1: I had a coffee with my husband at home. I even have been like practicing my latte art Gorge coffee. And historically, beck, I've only needed one coffee in the morning and then maybe I'll like crave one at like three pm. Fine, that's my that's my Like I don't know, Little Rosta had my coffee. Got to the office, Alicia goes, anyone want a coffee? Immediately me yep, yep, I do I want a coffee?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why did I need it? No? I just wanted to join in.
Speaker 3: I know, I know. Sometimes it's like you're having a tea. Sometimes the I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to tea.
Speaker 3: I want a coffee totally. But you know, its like do you want a tea and you're like the energy of it all like popping the kettle on, it's so cozy, but the actual drinking of the tea or the coffee is like, well, I could have gone without.
Speaker 1: I do need an oat latte. But let's talk about interventions for this, because my queen's I get it. I want you to track your spending. So I'm not saying don't get the coffee, because I've said time and time again, if coffee is something that you really deeply value and you want to keep it in your budget, you will. But what you will do is understand what it actually costs you, so you won't just go, oh, but I can't get rid of it. You'll go Victoria. I know, on average, I spend X per year on coffee, and I'm actually pretty comfortable with that because it gives me enough value, Whereas on the flip side, I might turn around and be like, beck, hey, did you know you spend two thousand dollars a year on takeaway coffees? And you're going to go, oh, that makes me deeply uncomfortable. I don't want to do that, and that's when we can start to facilitate some change. So track your spending, understand exactly how much that is costing you. Also, let's unpack while we're buying it. For me, more often than not, a takeaway coffee out is social. Yeah, it's not, because I'm on my own and I'm like, I just feel like a coffee. I can easily walk past a coffee shop. But Beck, if you and I are together and you say i'd love a coffee, I got me too.
Speaker 3: Yes? Why yes, So.
Speaker 1: You need to understand why you're buying. Is it social, is it situational? Is it something else? Let's revisit our money goals. Remember what you're aiming for and stay focused, my friend, then remind yourself was this in your budget? If not, and you keep doing it, do we need to factor it in? Like life? Unfortunately, I'm really sorry. For most people, life is about compromise. You cannot have everything, or you cannot have everything at all at once at least, So if you're going to prioritize your coffee, what else are we going to get rid of?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What are we going to change in the background so you can still live your best life? Because like, I am not subscribed to this idea of fire at all, and I know some of our listeners are, and I adore that for you. I really wish I could, but like, I want to enjoy the journey and I think that most people in our community are also journey girls. Lately the destination sexy, but also day to day I want to feel like I'm live love, laughing. Absolutely, So let's just talk about whether we need to factor that ink. Also, how do we make this more affordable? Do we join loyalty programs? Do we reframe and go I'm just going to buy my coffee at BP or at seven eleven in the morning when I'm going past, because sorry, it's twenty twenty six. That coffee is actually good now, it's really good. It used to be bad, right, yeah, I get it, Like I'm not saying, oh it used to be that. But if you haven't tried a seven eleven coffee ras, I think you would be pleasantly surprised for two dollars delicious, right, like good beans often most of them have oat milk options, heaps of them. Just they're good, they're good like and this isn't promotional, this is just me going stop being a snob. And like Beck, we from Melbourne, we're inherently coffee snobs.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and that's.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we love a seven eleven coffee exactly. So that leans into the how do we make it more affordable? Or do we go, okay, we're going to take away one coffee a week?
Speaker 3: Sure, boy?
Speaker 1: Is it two? So you can have them still, don't worry. But instead of having five, do we do three? So you do have tea on two of the other days? But have you calculated what that might mean for you and how that could benefit you? And you might go that's worth it?
Speaker 3: Like, that's good.
Speaker 1: Also, can we add some friction? How hard can I make this for myself?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: So? Do I take my Apple pay off my phone? Every time I need to get a coffee, I have to dig through my bag, get my card out, tap it that way? Or do I make a rule where I can only buy coffee if I have cash? Right? Like? Because that would change it a little bit. It makes it harder. And then whole of a sudden, when things aren't as easy, you're kind of like, I can't be bothered.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's so true, and then you're like relieved that you have to do it because you can't be bothered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, You're like, oh yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: That's kind of nic it's actually so this one's from cass shopping when I'm sad did that last week. I'm trying to break that habit and Maca's Breakfast. I'm trying to break that habit as well. Maca's Breakfast I do love and I get it. That's hard beg Yeah.
Speaker 1: Aim something better than a crispy, perfectly cooked Maca's hash brown.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I don't think there's anything.
Speaker 1: No, No, there's a reason they added that to the all day menu. Yeah, there's a reason.
Speaker 3: They know, they know they get it.
Speaker 1: And do you know what I really love? Yeah, the macas Brecky wraps. Oh yeah, you had those. I don't want to promote them because like you shouldn't go and spend more money on Maca's breakfast. But like the egg, the bacon. They have a really nice sauce. I really like the spicy one. They put a hash brown in there. It is so good and it is warm, and then you can get a Maca's coffee at the same time, and that sometimes if I'm working really early mornings, that's like my treat for like getting up and going to podcast recordings at seven am to get stuff done. Fair enough, I know, right, but also not fair enough.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: No, I've got a coffee machine at home, and we're trying to talk ourselves out of this stuff, right, So we're going to track our spending. I need you to understand exactly how much this emotional habit is costing you. Let's talk about why you're buying. Is there a more affordable way to support yourself through these moments? Like, I get it, I get sad, Like I think it's important that our community knows that I'm on antidepressants and anti anxiety medication because I'm not God. And you know what, I've tried to take myself off them before because I'm like, I don't need this. Life's good again, It's just my brain. Yeah, Like, if I am not medicated, I am sad and that is okay, and I'm dealing with it. But my spending was really reflective of my mental health early on and every time I've gone off my medication. I'm not promoting medication, but I think you guys deserve transparency in these spaces, not me going Beckett's It's not good that you're sad, yeah, and move on, Like, I get it. You know what makes me feel good spending. You know what makes me feel better knowing that I'm going to be really rich one day. True, and like we need to look at the bigger picture. Yea, And sometimes the bigger picture is as blunt as that. Yeah, Like we're not going Beck, reframe it. You'll get a bigger one later, Like, Beck, do you want to be rich as f exactly how do we work towards that? So let's unpack it, but also let's work out why are you sad? What's going on? Is there something that we could help you with? Like could you call up a friend and just have a chat? And sometimes something that really helped me. I hated being told, oh, just call a friend because I thought it meant that I'd have to call back up and be like, hey, Beck, I feel sad. You don't yeh, call and check on your friend because like o'h call up and be like, hey, Beck, how are you? Just what was thinking of? You want to have a chat? And all of a sudden we're having the conversation that I needed to have to boost my serotonin and my dopenine Like I'm feeling good because I just checked in with a friend. Yeah, we don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. Could you go for a walk or are you only getting Maca's breakfast and shopping when you're with a particular friend. Do we need to identify that and potentially change the way that we interact with that friend. I also again need to remind you ask yourself these questions. Is it in your budget? Do you actually need it? Have you factored it into your budget? If not, maybe we need it later, Maybe we need it next month. Revisit your money goals again, remember what you are aiming for and stay focused. And how do we make it more affordable for you? Could we go to macas less? Could we find a more cost effective way to self sue out ourselves totally? Like what does that mean? Like for a walk? Maybe we reframe it and the game is you go to Chadsten and the goal is to not buy anything, but we can look and we can take notes on everything that you want. You could take pictures of stuff so that you can file them away for when you achieve something that you go I really do want those genes. I'm going to go back and get them because I deserve them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, this obviously doesn't apply to like clinical impressions. Just like if you feel if you're feeling low like this, this really could work and ethnically going for a walk. It's like so like when I feel sad and people tell me that, I'm like, I want to catch your walk, but I will lay down forever and then and then I'm like, well, reluctantly, I won't walk.
Speaker 1: I actually hate being told but it is crazy, kind of is crazy, and like I hate to say it, but my mum was right, Yeah, sometimes you need to get out of bed. Yeah, and even if you're not enjoying this, because I get it. Sometimes just get out of bed, have a shower, go for a walk, make sure you've had some water and eaten something, and then we can talk about how you're feeling.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I'd be like, fine, yes, exactly, exactly. Okay. The sex one comes from Steph. So Steph says that they've been spending too much on gifts. I've spent two thousand dollars in the last three months alone. Help.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that's so much money.
Speaker 3: Very generous. I wish I was Steph's fread.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna have to ask ourselves a few questions here is it just a bit of a busy like birthday gifting season? Like you know, I know the time that I asked this wasn't Christmas. But is it like every single family member's birthday ever? Or is something else happening? I want you to unpack why you're spending this much? Comparison culture sucks fixed ideas around gifting? Do you have fixed ideas around gifting or generosity? Are you feeling maybe like you're obliged to spend certain amounts? And why revisit your budget? I said this time and time again. For me at Christmas time, I require a budget, like I have a specific Christmas budget, Beck, You're on it, because otherwise I could go ham like. Gifting is my love language, So I need to write down all of the people. Are like, there is a free gifting spreadsheet on the sheets on the money website for Christmas spending. I gave you mine, but I write down every single person and I'll go like, Beck, yes, Brook, you know what I mean. And then I go how much do I want to spend on each person? And I might go fifty dollars And in my head, fifty dollars is not that bad for a gift, So I go, oh, that's not too bad, no worries. But then I've got Beck, yes, Brooke, And all of a sudden, I can see the tally and I haven't spent anything yet, but I'm just allocating how much I want to spend on you, h And I realize I'm at one hundred and fifty bucks already. Yeah, And then I go, is that reasonable? Is that feasible?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Maybe I want to spend thirty dollars per gift, or maybe it's different, maybe I want to spend one hundred dollars per gift. Whatever your number is, it doesn't actually matter. But sometimes when we can like write down what our gift spending is, that will make us reassess. And I think it's more thoughtful. So don't get me wrong, i might be stripping money off your gift. But I'm now going to go, oh, actually, I cut the budget. Now I've only got forty bucks for Beck. Now I'm deeply thinking about what I can buy for Beck. Instead of going, I'm just going to go shopping and see what I can find and just pick a random thing that I think fits Beck. Yeah, Like, and then you're going to go, oh, actually, Beck. Really, she's like quite a generous person but loves like experiences over things like what could I do for Beck? Like, I'm thinking a little bit more deeply about that person, and I think that that's really nice. But revisiting your budget, you could do this for birthdays. You could do this for the rest of the year as well, so you know, write down all the people that you buy birthday gifts for and set yourself an annual budget. Yeah, so that you go, Okay, every birthday, I can only spend X. But I'm gonna think about this all year. Keep a list in your phone of ideas. Mine's creepy. I love it. I've got a list of ideas for you. I've got a list of ideas for Jess. I got a list of ideas for my husband. As things come up and I'm like, oh, I know that Beck never has X y Z. Maybe I could put that into a gift for her at some point. Think about that person. Are they an acts of service person? Write a really nice letter to them, bake someone their favorite dessert or make them something. And then also create a buffer, like wait a day before purchasing to create friction and give yourself some consideration time. And if you say, Victoria, I can't create a buffer because I buy the gift on the day. That's a recipe for blowing your budget every single time.
Speaker 3: If it's helpful at all, because I know that I've When I was with my girlfriend, we kind of had a lot of discussions about like I would spend a lot of money on gifts, but it was only because I would like see things and just like immediately want to buy her. I'd see her favorite chocolates, I'd want to buy it immediately, like I'm not even thinking, and same with my friends and stuff. And so what I did instead was I created albums in my phone and it would be labeled all the things that me think of you or all the things that I wanted to buy you, and then you just put like, and it could be like for all these friends, like say something they really like, have a friend that loves minions randomly, I'll see that. I would take a photo put in that album the albums for her, and she would see all the things that made ME think of her in that day or in that week or whatever. And so if it's satisfied that need for you to let your friend or your partner or someone know that you've thought about them. Seeing something they're like, you can send it to them via photo, and I feel like that's just as satisfying sometimes, So try that.
Speaker 1: If that's really cute, You're going to make someone so happy, And I hope that they're in the She's on the one community like sweet maybe just like a little a little like a reminder if anyone wants to slide into.
Speaker 3: Vaccinem freshly single.
Speaker 1: Who's next?
Speaker 3: Who's next? Okay, Rachel? Oh maybe it's Rachel. Next is Rachel? Rachel says, I use PayPal pay in four Thankfully I don't have any other buy now, pay later, but I keep justifying bigger purchases with PayPal pretty slope. I totally get it.
Speaker 1: It's just what would you do?
Speaker 3: I unfortunately do the same, and I use it a lot. But I the other thing, Rebecca, So I know, I know, but I'm Ableete have talked about that. I know, I know, but I want you know. I'm so like because I've gone to a point where I'm so scared of debt now that I pay it off and it feels so satisfying. I'll pay off each thing one by one. I don't do a bolk pay. I'll see the satisfaction of being like seven dollars twenty three here and like you know, and so I think that it's not good.
Speaker 1: Maybe I've been trying to reframe this. You know, when you sign up to these things that you like Victorias. In my head, you.
Speaker 3: Absolutely are absolutely sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry. You are a grown woman with will. You can make your own decisions. No, I just care about you and one what's best for you. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I think I've just impressed that because I was bankrupt, I couldn't get after pay or anything like that.
Speaker 1: So now you have it, you're like shiny and now it's like.
Speaker 3: Kind of cool. But you are in my head. I want you to know at all times.
Speaker 1: Especially when you do wordle. Especially when you do wordle. Anyway, both of us have the same word all start word, which is audio. Yep, I reckon that we're not the only ones. Anyway, my friend, Rachel, track your spending. I need you to understand how much you're actually spending and how much you actually owe, because it's very likely that you have your head buried in the sand. Because if you're doing by now, pay later on any platform, because PayPal buy in four is a buy now, pay later as well. You probably don't have a really good understanding of how much you can actually afford, because like, if you've got the cash in your bank and you can actually afford it, you wouldn't have needed that service. So we're probably shooting ourself in the foot a little bit there and letting it enable you. Now, I would add a buffer. I would literally put a day between my spending at least to make sure that we're curbing that present bias and really understanding that the anticipation of the purchase is usually better than the other thing. Also, let's reframe it. Instead of buy now, pay later and you get the item right now, Beck, what if I said to you, hey, Beck, you can have this item in a month. I need you every week to give me twenty bucks and then at the end of the month, I'll give it to you. Yeah, Like, Lebi, do you still want it?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 1: Cool because you're not going to wait for it. Yeah, So ask yourself, would you be willing to wait for this item? Like, hypothetically, if this item was out of stock and it said delivery shipment is the first of next month, would you go worry about it. Probably you don't need it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably not.
Speaker 1: You don't need it, don't need to stop it, Like tap you on the wrist.
Speaker 3: Stop this.
Speaker 1: The other thing I want you to do is set really clear financial goals and budget accordingly. If it's not in the budget, sorry you can't afford it. I'm sorry. Like, I don't want to be that person, but I think sometimes I have to be like, beck, stop it, you can't afford this, and you go, yeah, you're right, Like and that's okay, make your own decisions, but like I don't want to enable you. Also, just like a final little note on by now pay laters. It is the second most common form of debt in Australia at the moment, right behind credit cards. In twenty twenty five, the Australian Financial Securities Authority found that forty eight point nine percent of all debtors had at least one by now pay later debt, with the average balance creeping up from eight hundred and twenty dollars per person in twenty twenty four to eleven hundred and ten dollars in March this year. So it's not the seven dollars that you were quoting. Before most of us actually have more than one thousand dollars of debt. If we are using this, why is that important to our community, you might ask me, because women are still outspending men when it comes to buy now, pay later, and gen why and gen z are leading adoption rates at fifty nine and fifty seven percent, respectively. Okay, whilst it might seem like a really good idea at the time, it is truly only a disguise of a deeper issue, my friends, that maybe you can't actually afford what you're buying, or that it's time to adjust your budget and your financial goals to actually reflect your lifestyle. Just because you've got the cash right in your account in that moment does not mean you can afford it. Another rule that I saw one of my friends mentioned the other day. She was like, Victoria, I have started telling myself that if I couldn't buy the idea three or four times, I can't afford it. M Yeah, And I'm like, oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: So three, like times three or four the actually let's say something, something's one hundred dollars. Yeah, if you can't buy four of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you don't have the cash in your account to buy four of them. Oh you should buying it.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, okay, I like that.
Speaker 1: And like, there's just different things. And I share this not because I'm like, oh, that's the perfect strategy, but like, sometimes a little thing sticks in your brain and that's the thing that helps make a change totally. So let's throw so many of them at your wall and see what sticks, and see what works for you, because you might go, You're right, that little strategy works for me. Cash flow systems might work for somebody else. Adding up how much every single coffee is costing you every month or every year might work for another person. Someone else might add it up and be like, map, I don't notice it, so I don't mind. Yeah, Like everything is going to look different for different people. Yes, okay, something's got a stick, surely exactly. And my friend, I think we're going to wrap it there. Friends don't let make terrible money decisions back.
Speaker 3: That's true, they just don't.
Speaker 1: And that's all. Unfortunately we have time for today. If you have felt a little bit confronted by this episode, just know that I would hug you if I saw you in person, and maybe you also learn something new. I hope you learned something new, tell us about it. You can hear us up in our DMS, or you can leave us a comment or a review. Or you can join our She's on the Money Facebook group to share your stories of reckless spending and recovery in our next money Wins post. Otherwise, my friends, thank you for tuning in and being part of our community. We'll catch you later in the week for another episode of Friday Drinks. Take care of yourselves out of each other? Bye did buy?
Speaker 4: Shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 1: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 4: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P T y L t D A B N three two one six, four nine, two seven seven
Speaker 1: Zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine