Speaker 1: Tennis is back in a free way, back in a freak way. It's wonderful, it's gross.
Speaker 2: This is exactly on tennis need. It's the greatest athelete of all time. Time has been everything. It was never going to be perfect, but this was perfect to.
Speaker 3: Me and I think it was a really challenging thing to talk about, but also in a sense it was really easy because I'm really happy with my decision.
Speaker 2: I leave the sport being completely fulfilled.
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm John Huvenas. Welcome to a special Ash Barty episode of the AO Show. The tennis world is still coming to grips with the twenty five year old sudden retirement from the professional arena just five weeks after her history making triumph in Melbourne. The world number one had been preparing to lead Australia in its Billy Jean King Cup qualifier against Slovakia later this month, before the cancelation of the tie in mid March. In late February, the three time major champion journeyed to the Australian Red Center to Ularu and Alice Springs, visiting members of the Mutta Julu community as part of her role as First Nation's Ambassador for Tennis Australia during her time there. She sat down with Australian Tennis Magazines viv Christi for an exclusive interview about her experience of the trip, knowing in the back of her mind that her professional tennis career would soon be coming to an end. Today, on the AO Show, we bring you the full interview with Ash Barty, three weeks before the retirement that shocked the tennis world.
Speaker 1: Ash, perhaps you could start by describing your experience of seeing Ularu for the first time.
Speaker 3: Really hard to put into words, I think, just because it was It's a feeling when you actually go to Uluru for the first time, like I did, and like I have over the last few days. It was just an incredible experience for me to understand how much of a connection and a spiritual connection Uluru is for so many communities around but also as as a child, as an Aboriginal girl growing up, it's the heartbeat of our nation. I think being able to experience that firsthand was something I always wanted to do, and to be able to allow myself through my profession and through my career to have that opportunity was really special.
Speaker 1: Why was it so important for you to make this trip to Central Australia.
Speaker 3: I think it's just an incredible experience for me personally to get more in touch with my heritage and more in touch with my culture, but also to visit the communities, to see the kids and see the way that the world is working and the world lives in remote communities. I think it's amazing to be in touch with that, and it's amazing to sometimes recognize how different it can be.
Speaker 2: And it's a beautiful, beautiful part of our.
Speaker 3: Nation and our world, and I think I was just very fortunate and lucky to be able to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: What were you thinking as you're moving closer to.
Speaker 3: Ularu, how big and powerful and enormous it is. I think that it's just an incredible part of our landscape that hasn't changed over thousands of years. And I think that's one of the most beautiful things about it.
Speaker 2: It is untouched.
Speaker 3: It's just as perfect as it ever was and ever has been and should be, and that's how we should protect our land.
Speaker 2: And I think being able to experience.
Speaker 3: That the closer that you get is really special, and certain parts of the rock faces and how it changes throughout the light and how it changes.
Speaker 2: Depending on where you walk and which way you look is a really, really beautiful way to see it.
Speaker 1: One of your experiences today was eating bushtucker. Can you describe eating bushtucker?
Speaker 2: For us?
Speaker 3: Bushtucker is brilliant, and I think it's just amazing to know that there is still so much that we.
Speaker 2: Can use from the land. The land is still giving us.
Speaker 3: The land is still giving us a way to live and to work and to love and respect it. And I think that's probably the most important thing that I got out of yesterday, was being around all the room, being around the communities, is how much they still rely on the land. And I think that's a really beautiful part of our culture, and I think it's a really important part of being a human being, is understanding that we need to respect the environment and just nderstand how much it still gives to us.
Speaker 1: When we visited the watering hole, you clearly loved being surrounded by so much nature. How special was that experience?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt like that was that was Australia in its purest form. You could you could hear the zebra finches in the background, you could see the water.
Speaker 2: You look up and you get the beautiful blue sky that's that's contrasting against all ruin.
Speaker 3: It's just an amazing area to sit and appreciate and I think appreciations of word that that I use a lot in my life, and I think that moment was just that was that was it in its.
Speaker 2: Purest form, and I think it was just a beautiful, beautiful moment.
Speaker 1: You also had the opportunity to actually touch the rock face. Can you describe the energy that you got from that experience?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Never in my life did I think that I would have the opportunity to be able to touch and feel and connect with all rule. And I think also understanding how much the color has changed over time was a really interesting part.
Speaker 2: Part of the experience to.
Speaker 3: Me is knowing knowing the original color and seeing the original color and feeling it and understanding how it has changed and adapted and rusted over time. And I think it's just a beautiful part of our landscape, and I think being able to connect with it in a hands on kind of feel and scenario was really magical. It was amazing and I think you look around and you see the impact that it has on everyone.
Speaker 2: That was there.
Speaker 3: That's the spiritual connection to the land, and I think that's the spiritual connection to our culture and our heritage, and it was really amazing to feel that firsthand.
Speaker 1: Throughout the day. You were careful to always be respectful in checking, for example, that it was okay to touch the rock face before you did.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about the importance of that respect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think for me that's just become quite natural for me as a Person's the value that my parents instilled in my sisters and I when we're quite young. As the respect is also massive. And We've been invited to come into this community, and I think it was important that.
Speaker 2: We respected their rules and kind of.
Speaker 3: The way that they live, and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overstepping any marks culturally. I know that there are some sensitive areas and some sensitive sides of Ularo and ways you only get to view it if you are there, So I just wanted to make sure that we were doing all the right things for all of us, but for me in particular, I'm always wanting to be able to help the communities.
Speaker 2: Feel comfortable with us.
Speaker 3: They allowed us to come in into their space and into their community and feel that, and I just wanted to make sure that we were doing the right things because that's part of the experience as well as that allows us then to get the best out of the communities and the best out of the people, and that builds a relationship instantly.
Speaker 1: It was really lovely to see you soaking up so much knowledge throughout the day. How much did you enjoy simply learning?
Speaker 2: It was so fulfilling.
Speaker 3: And I think the Mean and Nikki who helped us around and we're talking us through a lot of the history and the culture and the special parts of Ularo, were just incredible. They made the day so special and it was just a really fulfilling day in being able to accept the gratitude and accept just the beautiful.
Speaker 2: Pure scenery that we're in.
Speaker 3: We're in the heartbeat of the country, the heartbeat of our nation, and for me to be there, I feel extremely fortunate and lucky to get to experience that firsthand.
Speaker 1: There was an incredible moment of quiet when you were lying down and looking up at the rock surface. Can you describe that for us?
Speaker 3: The steepest point of the rock and it was beautiful, and I think it forced the quiet because people wanted to absorb the energy and absorb the feeling and really just take it all in. And I think it's funny that it wasn't planned. I think we all just the quiet just happened because I think everyone wanted to listen, to absorb it, to take it all in and just take it for what it was. And that's a moment that I certainly will never ever forget. And seeing the most steep face of the rock was just incredible, and seeing it from that view lying down was even better.
Speaker 1: Was there a type of mindfulness to that moment?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: It was quiet, it was calm, and it was beautiful, and I think whenever you can bring yourself in a really present moment, I wasn't thinking about anything else except appreciating what was around us, and for a minute I closed my eyes and it was just exceptional. It was just an amazing moment for me to sit and settle and take it in. And it was a really really beautiful moment of mindfulness without even trying to get there, it naturally happened. I think that's the way that the environment works for us, and that's a really spiritual connection that ULARU gives to so many people. That go there is that it gives you this piece, it gives you this quiet, and it gives you a moment to really sit and appreciate.
Speaker 1: And then you were able to spend some time in the local community. How much did you enjoy meeting the local people and hitting with the kids through the Rackets and Red Dust program.
Speaker 3: The Rackets and Red Dust program is just an incredible program in giving that opportunity to meet new people, to try new things. And Beth and Anzac have done an incredible job in allowing communities to let us in and to trust us. And I think one of the most special parts is we've I mean, essentially, we've got a group of strangers that have come into a community to try something new.
Speaker 2: And the kids were so excited.
Speaker 3: It's very unusual for young Aboriginal girls or boys to come up and be so affectionate with strangers or hug strangers, and the kids were hugging me, and it just made me feel so warm and welcome, and it was just a really really fun few hours of spending time with the kids. Incredible athletes, Incredible that they were able to play tennis. I mean they started playing tennis. A couple of days ago, and we could already have some rallies, which is just mind blowing. And I think for them to really absorb that new skill, a new skill set, and do it with some strangers that they've welcomed into their home was really.
Speaker 2: Warming in a sense that they felt natural. We had fun. I don't think there wasn't There wasn't.
Speaker 3: One kid, there wasn't one parent, there wasn't one elder that wasn't smiling and enjoying it. And I think that's what that's what lights me up the most is at that moment, I know that all of us were We're never going to forget it, and I think that that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: There was one little girl, Elrica, who was following you around so closely, she was almost shadowing you. Were you aware of how much she was connecting with you?
Speaker 3: Elrica? She was incredible. She was amazing. And she even came up to my dad. He's been nice enough to join us the last couple of days.
Speaker 2: And she said to him, your dad, and he goes, yeah, she said, you're the boss, and he just loved that.
Speaker 3: And that's the respect that's instilled in the communities from such a young age.
Speaker 2: And for us as strangers to come in.
Speaker 3: They made it so warm and welcoming and so much fun and it was just so brilliant to see so many.
Speaker 2: Of the kids.
Speaker 3: But Erika in particular, she was having so much fun. She couldn't get enough of it. She wanted to pick up the ball, she was throwing them, kicking them, hitting them with the rackets like she was just exceptional. And to see that at such a young age in such a small community is really heartwarming knowing that there are so many other kids out there that just need the opportunity to just need the experience to try it, to see to see how they go.
Speaker 1: What do you think we'll be next in tennis? For the boys and girls that you met here in the community.
Speaker 3: It's a tough one because it's the opportunity is not always there. But I mean, we hope that we can just continue to grow the sport and hope to give them that opportunity more regularly. And it's not just in tennis, it's in all sports, in education. It's about bringing more opportunity not just to the youth as well, it's to everyone in the communities. And I think around Australia, We're a very big nation and we have a massive connection still to our tribes and to our communities, and it's about helping them and working hand in hand and giving the opportunities to try and become better human beings, to become more educated, to become more coordinated, to have more fun, and also feel like you can connect with them at a level that is a human being natural level. And I think that's a really important part of what I do and what I love. But coming out into the communities is really fulfilling.
Speaker 1: How can tennis be a vehicle for improved health and education.
Speaker 2: A massive mass vehicle.
Speaker 3: I think it brings people together first and foremost, it allows people to feel safe in an environment. And of course there's the health and well being attributes that come with being fit, being outside, being outdoors, and I think the education also comes with the opportunity is that it's learning a new skill, it's learning it's talking to new people, it's learning different ways of life, talking to people that come from all walks of life. And I think being able to connect with everyone is a really important skill. And I think that that is something that's massive when we do come up and get these opportunities to come to the communities. Is that they're talking to people that they've never seen before. They've never seen TV cameras, they've never seen a net, they've never seen rackets, they've never seen the different types of balls, and a lot of the time they don't get to talk about that. And I think being able to just experience thirty forty fifty different people that do different things in their life, that have had different experiences, that communication creates a way of curiosity, and I think that's a really important word, as well as being able to be curious about education, about sport, about all these different opportunities and allow these young kids to dream and think that could be me one day?
Speaker 2: The what if? Why not me? And I think that's a really important part of what we do.
Speaker 1: How important is it for these young people to have role models?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: I think it's really important just to feel like someone else has been able to help create the opportunity.
Speaker 2: And for Yvonne, what she has done for me and.
Speaker 3: A lot of other Indigenous youth is that she was the one who said why not me and paved this beautiful path into being. It's not only a champion of our sport, but a champion across the globe and icon. And she just has the most incredible foundation now that has set up this foundation and set the pathway for so many Indigenous youth to try things, to try different things, whether it's education, it's sport, it's art. There are so many different ways and avenues that you can go down now to try your curiousity, to see what lights you up inside. And I think me coming here, I get so much out of it, and I just hope that the kids enjoy it because I know how much of an impact it made when I was able to look up to someone like a Vonn and then be able to chat to her in more of a relaxed sense. And she's the most approachable, incredible human being. And if I can be half of what she is, I hope the kids feel comfortable around me to ask me those questions, to see what if, what could.
Speaker 1: Happen your own role model. Even Guligong Coley had some amazing experiences in Central Australia and a special connection to Ularu. Does that enhance what's already a really special relationship with Evon It does?
Speaker 3: I mean our relationship both personal and professional is it's just amazing how in touch with are with each other, and how intertwined we are, and how many things we share in common, how many incredible anniversaries or special moments we have together.
Speaker 2: And without a doubt that I'm a a very very.
Speaker 3: Strong believer, and that's come from our culture, and that has come from our connection to each other and with the land. And I think that a world has a really incredible way and the universe has this incredible way of bringing people together and working for you, not against you, and I think being able to accept that is a big part of allowing the universe to help you out.
Speaker 1: You were presented with some beautiful artwork by the local children. That must have been another highlight.
Speaker 3: Absolutely incredible, and I think each piece of Indigenous.
Speaker 2: And Aboriginal artwork has a story.
Speaker 3: And Lydia was able to come up and tell me her story and tell me about her artwork. And what's most special is that she has taken the time to create this story to gift to me a stranger who's come into her community, and she's gifted me a story of her and of us. And it's where people are coming together and connecting, and it's just incredible that she, as a young girl, already has that artistic connection to everyone, and I think that's her way of expressing it. And it's just beautiful that she was able to give me that beautiful piece that'll be up at home, stretched in the canvas at a pride and place. And I have a few Aboriginal pieces at home and all of them tell a story and whenever people come over, I love to tell that story. And I think now that Liddy and I share that together, I can't wait to tell people that story too.
Speaker 1: You've spoken a lot recently about feeling connected to the land. Do you feel more connected to the land after these couple of days in Central Australia.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, more and more every day.
Speaker 3: And it's all about the grounding and being able to absorb what it can give you.
Speaker 2: And that's for everyone that's just not.
Speaker 3: Aboriginal Torrestrade Island or Indigenous people that come back to their roots. Everyone on our nation has a sense of grounding and has a sense of connection to our land because this is our home, this is where we live. We need to protect it, we need to savor it and allow it to work for us, and we need to give back as much as we can as well. But certainly I know that this beautiful country of Australia helps me every single day. I love being an Aussie and I think days like yesterday just remind me of that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Was there something as special about the timing of this trip having come here as an Australian Open champion.
Speaker 2: Timing is everything. I'm a very, very big believer in that.
Speaker 3: And this trip has been delayed a couple of times now, and as much as I was disappointed previously that it had been delayed for different reasons, there is a reason now that where we are here at the time that we are, with what has happened through January, and to be able to connect with the kids now, and there is a reason.
Speaker 2: And I'm a big believer in that.
Speaker 3: I'm a big believer in silver linings, and I think that the experience and the feelings that everyone's going to come out of these last couple of days up here in such a beautiful place in the world, it's going to be magical.
Speaker 1: As you've won Grand Slams on every surface, clay, grass, hard court, is I have to ask, is red dust a new favorite surface?
Speaker 2: Could you imagine? I was the best court in the world. I would love it.
Speaker 3: I would be signing up every day of the week to play a Red Dust tournament. I would love for a lot of the international players to come and experience what we have in the last few days. The bounces aren't always kind, and it's I mean, you'd be changing your shoes quite regularly, but it is a lot of fun. It's a beautiful place, and it is so natural, and I just loved it.
Speaker 4: That's all for this special Ash Barty episode of The AO Show. For more coverage of Barty's trip to the Red Center and the reaction to her retirement, head to ozopen dot com. In the meantime, don't forget to subscribe, and if you like what you hear, please rate and review so more fans can enjoy The AO Show.