Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. They'reby Well, welcome back to everyone, and thank you for returning to TV Reload for your second time.
Speaker 2: Oh I have loved, loved, loved being part of it the first time. Thank you for having me back a second time.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just so happy about this, and I mean, we got such good feedback as well, and the common note was that it was quite juicy.
Speaker 2: Oh. I mean, we're pretty unfiltered people, so that's good. I'm glad that came through.
Speaker 1: I feel like we should have always recorded all of our phone chats, like release the Tanks.
Speaker 2: Maybe not, we could end us in some very hot order.
Speaker 1: For everyone who is listening. Each week, I'm joined by a rotating guest, which is my friends Alana and Stacey, and we'll unpack all of your favorite TV shows, will help you pick what to watch, and discuss all the latest TV shows right across your free to air and streaming services.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. There's so much to get through.
Speaker 1: Well, this week we're going to talk about Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, which you and I call a warm up, you know, because that'll.
Speaker 2: Get us going definitely it is it gives us life blood banda.
Speaker 1: Pump Rules Expats, Griselda, and then we also have Lucinda for mered at First Sight, who will be joining us to talk about what she thinks of everyday Astralian's coming up to her in the street and asking her if she is in fact an actress? Are you watching any of Meredith first.
Speaker 2: Site public service announcement. I haven't been watching any of Maths this season. I didn't really mean too like, I hadn't really sort of said I'm not going to watch it. I've watched it in the past, but I think things have just gotten a little bit away from me. I've been following along on the socials, but I haven't been an avid viewer, so I'll be keen to hear your take.
Speaker 1: Okay, great. We're also going to finish up with We'll finish up on the pod, including a preview of what is about to come out. It's a show on Binge, which is a new series based on one of Leanne Moriarty's books with actress Annette Benning, who I'm obsessed with. That one was filmed here in Australia on the Gold Coast, have you actually read any of Leanne Moriarty's books, like Big Little Eyes.
Speaker 2: I haven't read her books because they are giant, but I very much am excited. I've seen the trailer for that one, and I'm pumped and also loved Big Little Lies and very excited to hear that's coming back for a third season as well.
Speaker 1: You kind of strike me as the sort of person that at school the night before doing an assessment or a test, you just watch the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh literally one hundred percent, or ask someone else who'd watched the movie, and then kind of just adapt what Moke's smarter, not harder.
Speaker 1: I only know because I was that person exactly. I just always say to people that I've read books. I'm like, oh, yes, no, I've read that book. I mean, the book's always better than the show. And what I mean to say is what book.
Speaker 2: I didn't know it was a book. No, you're not fooling me. I know you too well.
Speaker 1: We will also touch upon Rupos Drag Race, which has its latest global series on Stan Australia. It actually has one of our former down Under queens joining that series. Plus we're going to talk about Channel seven's latest Juicy English true crime series, which ever everyone should watch. Had you ever heard or have you ever heard of mis Debates versus the Post Office? No, I've left this in there without talking to you about this because Ben and I had to watch all four episodes in one go because it was so good and you and Robbie are going to love it, so we'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: Well. I do love a good I love a good British show, so very keen here about that one.
Speaker 1: All righty, Let's kick this off with Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. You know, in the aftermath of last season's turbulent ending with the exit of long term housewife Lisa Rinner. This season, the women have found themselves attempting to navigate I would say is a very fractured friend group. We are two weeks away from the first reunion episode, which will wrap this series. However, this week we saw Sutton talking about being back in the saddle again, Garcelle agreeing to give her boys more freedom who cares Anna Marie which is what we're referring to her, which it could also be, and Marie throwing a blinged out brunch which we also don't care about, where she and Crystal finally made up, which is great, but probably more juicy in the storyline of this week's episode is Kyle and Direct questioning their friendship Alana, what is going on? I walked away a lot from watching this episode. How did you go?
Speaker 2: To be honest, I mean we spoke about this last time. I said, I just really feel like the whole season has been a bit lackluster, and they haven't really had the strong storylines apart from Kyle and Mauricio and they're split. And I think it's become quite evident as well that Kyle is saying a lot more in her confessionals that we are seeing as viewers than what she's been saying to the lady. So, to be honest, that hasn't even really been a storyline that has been super strong in how it's playing out in terms of the friendship group, because I don't think she's really told them as much as what we are seeing. So but this episode, I actually didn't mind that the last couple, even though they are in Spain. I was like, oh my god, I'm so bored. It was the most boring cart trip I think I've ever seen. I was like, there was no shopping. They weren't really delivering on the look, and I think that's what Beverly Hills is, isn't it. I mean, if there's not a huge amount happening, we still want to see where they're going, where they're eating, what they're driving, what they're wearing, the GLAMs and I just don't even feel like that's been up to pub But this one, I actually thought this episode had a little bit more of that. The Diamond champagne brunch. It was a bit cheesy, but I feel like they all bought their day drinking looks and it wasn't too bad. I actually had a little bit of a laugh during this episode. I didn't mind it.
Speaker 1: I do say that the fashion porn was back in this episode. I couldn't help but notice, though, how much dereck of the styling is being done before the girls turn up on camera, because there was this beautiful shot of all of them and they were color blocked so well, like you've got your Erica Jane and your pink and I think Garcel was in an orange. You know, everyone was color blocked. Do you think that there's a lot of conversations that go in before they were even allowed to turn up.
Speaker 2: Well, it does with me and my girlfriends. You've seen our photos. We're like, what scene wearing today, ladies, and we actually enjoy and we all sort of rally around the idea of doing a bit of a theme. Sometimes. I wouldn't surprise me if they've got the group chat going. But yeah, I think the fashion it's definitely a huge part of it. But I mean, like you said, with the Crystal and Marie storyline, that was pretty you know, neither here nor there, and then that was sort of a big focus of the episode. One thing I have been interested in this season is Erica having that redemption season, watching her and her sort of struggle without Lisa Rinna, her friend there as you mentioned, and then very disappointed with the other ladies for not kind of rallying around her during the last two tumultuous years that she's had two plus really and all these lawsuits and wanting the apology and not getting it, and her having that moment last night, you know, with Sutton sitting on the couch and Sutton apologizing. I actually thought that was quite a genuine moment. I don't know if we've seen that many of them this season. So I kind of enjoyed seeing that. How how you read that Erica? Then? Do you think she deserves an apology?
Speaker 1: No? I don't. I think you know, and you know that I love Erica Jane, like Erica Girardi, whoever she is. I love all the facades that she has. But I think that Erica needs to get over that apology, because yes, the court case was settled, but the result wasn't. Hey, the jewelry wasn't one hundred percent bought with the victim's money. It was, we cannot prove that it wasn't, and she's celebrating it like there's some hard fact and that now the women need to apologize. I don't think the women are even thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I've sort of read it a little bit differently and a bit more holistically. I think there's still going to be lots of cards that need to fall from this legal proceeding, and it's still ongoing as we know, and Tom Girardi has been declared mentally fit to stand trial, which I don't think any of us were necessarily expecting at that sort of stage. So I think there's still more to come there. But I think what she's trying to say is I said to you all that this would happen. It's going to be a long game. And she sat at that dinner party last year and said, oh, remember the people that were with me and against me, And she's sort of just wanting a little bit of vindication that what she said was going to happen, and I think she just got very hurt that, yes, there were victims, there was a lot of people that you know, have to be made whole. I guess in the court of Laura's what she said. However, she sort of expected more from the ladies on a personal point of view, to rally around her and say, you know, the victims will get taken care of. There are legal people that are on that case, and I'm sure all of them will hopefully get taken care of, but we, as your friends, want to look after you. And I'm not saying necessarily that's one hundred percent right, but I think that's how she was expecting it to play out. And when they all sort of turned on her and said no, no, no, no no, And then now it's fast forward and she's saying the live is right and she's still not getting it. It's kind of a little bit difficult to watch, But.
Speaker 1: We have this in our own lives. You know, I wonder as we get older and these women are, you know, ten plus years older than you and I, But like we have a lot going on in our lives, A lot of things happen to us personally. I think she because she's so focused on this whole storyline in her life, which is very hectic, and I can imagine that it would be really hard for her. You know, Kle's getting divorced, you know, I think is having what we could say is sort of a very slow breakdown. There's a lot going on with these women, So is she expecting too much for them to acknowledge her situation? Because I just think sometimes we get lost in what's happening to us personally, and that isn't a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think everyone's definitely got the their blinkers on when it comes to their own staff obviously first and foremost, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Can I just say, personally, I don't need to jump in there, because you're so good at that. Like, anytime I talk to you, you will always remember things that are happening in my life, and you will always ask about them and so you are someone by nature who remembers what's happening to others, and I have to commend you for that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel the same about you, and I think that's obviously the goal as friends. You know, you want to be able to be there for each other. Sometimes you do get caught up in your own staff. I think that was a nice moment with Sutton apologizing. I think that'll let them sort of turn the corner, and I think what will play out next is basically this cliffhanger episode with Kyler Mauricio and that news breaking publicly and them having to address that with their children, and obviously flash forward to what he is then going to be a three part reunion. I think the questions are really going to be coming for Kyle, but I think secondary to that will be this Erica redemption apology what she wants that will play second at the reunion.
Speaker 1: I think, I think I really want to ask you about this at this point, and I've probably jumped a little bit ahead of myself, but who do you want to stay next year and who do you think should go? Because I'm starting to think this season and this selection of women isn't working. I really do feel like I still can't lose Kyle. We are seeing her talking about that in the press of the moment about her renegotiation of coming back. I think Kyle needs to stay, and I think that's non negotiable, But as far as the rest of the women go, I could lose all the rest of them.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I think we said this last time. It is feeling very disjointed. I don't know if the friendships are as strong. I think we had Kyle and Toreat as best friends. It's very evident that they're not best friends this season. I think Eric has felt very lost without Lisa Rinna, and she's not necessarily jelling one hundred percent with the other ladies. I think everyone talks about Suttan and Garsell being this duo on the outside and that they're the fan favorites, But sometimes I watched them together on screen and I'm like, that don't seem that close. I knew we're right. I think it is not. No. Yeah, And it's a bit of a worry, isn't it, Because you start to unravel a few of those threads and you go, well, how much longevity does this cast have as a whole and then where does that go? So as we move forward, I mean, they're still getting the number one ratings, so I think that's where the challenge is. But are people just tuning in for that lifestyle aspect that we mentioned perhaps, I.
Speaker 1: Think they're waiting to see what happens with Kyle, and I think she's the backbone of this series. And I feel like, as we did talk about last time about dropping in a lot of this throughout the series to pepper it up, teasing is what's going to happen with Mareencio, you know, teasing us to get us to the end. But I mean the episodes feel shorter. They're only forty three minutes, and that's very short to me. I feel like with Garcelle and Sutton, with their fan favoritism or whatever is going on on social media, I don't know if that is landing with me, and I kind of feel like if those women come back, the only thing I'd be interested in seeing between the two of them is some conflict, you know, some real conversations between the two of the women. That feels more authentic.
Speaker 2: It is interesting, though, isn't it, because last season and the seasons leading up to it so much drama, so much has happened. We had Denise Richards with Brandy Glanville, that sort of storyline, the cease and deceea Us. We've had Erica with all the legal drama. We had the Kathi fallout last year at the end there with Kyle. There's been a lot of drama and all the fans were calm being hard on social media, saying it's too dark, it's too toxic, we don't want this, and I think the producers have gone, fine, we'll get rid of Lisa Rinna or put her on pause, or she's voluntarily going to leave or whatever happened there. We're going to take it down or not. We're going to give you the bare minimum and then we're going to see if you like that. And it's almost like, now we've had a season of that, will people as you say, then go oh well, hang on. We want a little bit more. We want a bit more conflict, We want a bit more from these ladies. What are they really giving us week on week? Has this all been a little bit of a play potentially?
Speaker 1: I feel like, you know when sometimes you go to those ice cream places and I'm going to take you on a journey here and they suggest some wizbang flavor like you know, blue cheese and almonds, and you go disgust, and then they give you something basic. They take you back to basic and give you vanilla. We don't want that either, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, we wouldn't wear the goldilocks of the Real Housewives franchise. We want them, We want the right amout.
Speaker 1: This is the only way I can describe things as telling people about what I'm trying to say through ice cream. So we were texting the other day about this, what is your theory? Because it has been revealed that Kathy will be involved in the finale, in the reunion, we are going to see her back. I need to ask you what do you want from her? And yeah, I want to know. I'll want three questions for you. But what do you want from Kathy turning up?
Speaker 2: I don't want anything from Kathy turning up. I was shocked to see those photos where she was rocking up. I thought she has no right to necessarily be there. She hasn't even had one guest appearance on the whole season. And I said on this podcast last time, I said, I don't think we'll ever see Kathy back on Real housewise because I think it showed a bit of her true cul and I don't think she liked that. And your point was, I don't think she's as clever at navigating reality TV is what she thinks, and I agreed with you. So I'm very surprised to see her back. But again, is this, you know, potentially a hook to get us back in next season along with this Kyle drama. Now she's going to be leaning on Kathy and Kim. We're going to see that sort of family reconciliation because they haven't really got a lot else to go on, potentially, But I was shocked to see her photos pop up on social media one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Well that kind of answers my question about why is she there. I think you've probably sort of teased some of that, But so that's part of my second question. But the third one is what do we not want to see from Kathy? And I want to jump in at the start of that and say, I'm going to be really great if she brings up Lisa Renner in any capacity when Lisa's not there to defend herself, and that Lisa hasn't been a part of this series like that. To me, she brings her up, I'm I'm done with Kathy Hilton.
Speaker 2: I would agree with that. I mean I was sort of really done with her at the end of last season. Anyway. Everyone thought Lisa was horrible, toxic Cuman. I more saw it as someone who was really trying to hold Kathy to account and she's gotten away with a lot of things that she said, a lot of behavior behind the scenes. She was trying to bring that to light, you know. I think it went a bit further than what we all sort of assumed. But I don't think it was anything that hasn't been happening behind the scenes with that sister dynamic, you know, in years gone by. So I would agree with you. I think she will bring up Lisa inner, but it might be a bit fleeting and then she'll move on.
Speaker 1: I think I'd not just press pause at that point on the reunion. I think I'd switch it off. I think I'd be so great, but hey, at the end of the day, a reunion, three part series is our super Bowl, so I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: And I will be singing for the halftime entertainment.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, so we need to talk about our next ones, which is vander Punt Rules. I mean, after the explosive events of season ten, leaving fans on the edge of their couches, episode one of season eleven didn't disappoint fans. When I read all the comments online, we saw former survivors or should I say survivors, returned to Ours Green as the cast attempted to follow that scandal that really jolted this tight knit brand group. I have to confess I've never watched this show, and have you. I mean, I remember that you said that you'd never watched it last year and you joined in to catch the scandal or I can't remember how to pronounce that storyline. Am I too late to join this show? Or are you enjoying it? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: No, you're not too late, but you're right. So I hadn't watched any of it. I think this is the eleventh season that's just dropped. But the last season was where it all erupted with this scandal. So Tom Sandoval with Ariana Maddix for nine years and then basically had a very secret affair. Not even any of the cast members or the production knew that it was going on with someone else that was in that friend group, Raquel Levis, Well, I think she's changed it back to Rachel now, and yeah, that was happening and it was explosive. I mean, we talk about Beverly Hills not really having enough drama this year to keep us hooked. That was just like watching a bomb and go off in slow time. And I think it's interesting watching these shows as of vier now because you're obviously watching it, you know, for the show, but you've also seen a lot of these things play out in social media, so you know what's to come, and that puts a very interesting lens over it all. Now we're picking it up season eleven. We're three episodes in there, and we're really seeing the fallout and the aftermath and how that's fractured. All the relationships and the trust issues are very high, and you know, these people have been friends fourteen fifteen years, so it's not like they've just been cast mates for a short amount of time. It's really affected everyone and the relationships in different ways. I think if you want the drama and a little bit more intensity, then vander Pump Rules is certainly one that you can probably pick up. I'd watch it from last season so you can see this sort of gander old play out. But this season will be an interesting one seeing how all those relationships get repaired.
Speaker 1: It does feel more like The Hills to me than it does like an extension of the Real Housewives franchise. I do really enjoy sort of the rock music interludes and all of that kind of stuff that comes with what I watched over the first three episodes, I did notice that the biggest bombshells seemed to be we saw that Lala had been reflecting on how she feels and then sent a voice note asking Raquel to talk. What do you make of that?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because again, when you're sort of watching this all play out on social media. I'm pretty sure the reports that I read said that she was offered to come back, but then she wanted more money and so it was her choice to not rejoin the cast. She'd also been in a mental health sort of retreat for quite a few months because after Scandalval just went global. She was really struggling with it, as was Tom. So I don't know if it would have been a good idea for her to come back in that sort of mental state. Anyway, she's sort of turning the corner now she's got her own podcasts. It'll be interesting to see whether maybe she rejoins next year. But it's definitely noticeable in that, you know, the biggest part of the storyline and half the sort of party that's made all of that erupt isn't there and not there to defend herself and not there to sort of engage in those conversations. So Tom sander Old definitely taking all the heat from the group. Three episodes in, he is still really copying it, and Lisa vander Pump really has to step in there as a bit of a maternal figure.
Speaker 1: I guess she's really having to up the anti I would believe, because anytime that I did try and tune into the show, I was like, this is called vander Pump rules. Well, we're not seeing a lot of Lisa vaner Pump, you know, we're seeing a lot of these young people. But what I noticed when I was watching these first three episodes is there was a lot of heavy lifting from Lisa, you know, having to talk him, which I think is fine, and she can do that because she is the name of the show, and I think she can get away with that. But you know, Raquel yesterday in the media was talking about the fact that she's now healthier, she's happier, she's happy to be not a part of this series. I don't know should she return and do we only make that decision once we get to the end of the series and see whether they need to hook her back.
Speaker 2: Well, I think at the end of the day, I mean, we like to think some of these storylines are forced, but that really did happen, and that really did go global. That was a moment in time. Arianno Maatix is basically cashed in on this whole breakup inadvertently. She is playing Roxy in Chicago. She got like commercials, she's got covered deals for magazines. So it really did blow up. And I think Raquel obviously had to go into hiding for a little bit. I think only if she is feeling up to coming back to that dynamic and that sort of public scrutiny, is that a good idea for her to come back, And not no one else can answer that except for her. But you know, apparently she was contemplating it, but the price just wasn't high enough for her for her to commit to that.
Speaker 1: The money for these shows isn't a lot, by the way, you know, it was actually doing a lot of digging on this, and like sixty thousand dollars was what they were originally paying in Australian dollars for the Real Housewives of Melbourne. But then I delved a little bit deeper into it. And that's really even with the conversions of international rates, very similar to a lot of the other franchises around the world. I mean, it's it's not a lot of money, and it is a lot to put your personal life on display like this on a show like that that is absolutely devoured and chewed up and processed by the viewers. So I don't know if I was her, I'd be sitting back and saying, need to pay me a million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think that's where the game has changed social media. When these shows first started, it wasn't it wasn't such a big deal, and they weren't copying all those horrible tweets and the cybertrolling and bullying, and it wasn't the intensity to this level. And I think now it's sort of like people are expecting to get paid probably a bit more because of that, but it's a risk, and everyone knows what they're doing and signing up to. And if you want to walk, you walk. And if you want to prove yourself and try to get more money, then I guess that's what you do with any job, and you negotiate. But certainly it's a choice. No one's got a gun to their heads. I don't know whether she'll come back. She might have that year off like Lisa Rinna, and then we might see her back.
Speaker 1: Oh, Rena's definitely not coming back. I don't see these women returning. I mean, Rena's been very vocal aligning yourself with Bethany Frankel and you know, doing that whole sort of union for reality people, and it's and has made far too many comments. And I think Raquel as well. I think once you step out of this, you know, I think it would be hard for a person to step back in. I want to ask you, just before we finish on vander Pump, what do you feel now in regards to Lisa vander Pump just watching this show, you stepping in and watching it last year and now watching it again this year, has it changed the way you feel about her.
Speaker 2: Well, you do see her in the very minimal capacity in this show. Yes, it's called vander Pump Rules. It's all centered around her restaurants and potentially you know, admittedly I said I only jumped in on the show last year, so maybe in earlier season she had more of a role. But really she only pops up for a few minutes here and there every episode. She's really giving some maternal advice. I mean, these people are going into their forties now, so it's not like they're super young, but I guess when the show started they were. I know, they're still acting like they're in a twenty at the Emo night and rocking out at the concerts and the clubs and everything. But you see a bit more of a maternal, caring natural Lisa, Whereas I think what we saw of her on The Real Housewives was very calculated. We just saw a different side of her. So I think we're probably getting more of who Lisa is at home in this show.
Speaker 1: Expats has dropped on Amazon Prime and everyone has been talking about it. It is a look at the personal and professional lives of a tight neck group of expats that are living in Hong Kong, The Amazon Prime series explores both sides of complicated story where Nicole Kipman's character loses her child. Expats is an American drama television mini series directed by Lulu Wang, which is based on the twenty sixteen novel The Expatriots.
Speaker 2: Seeing Us Backs to Our Show where I jump in and help you with the big wisks.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think I said that Phil free to jump in and talk to me when I get stuck.
Speaker 2: What is it x X Expatriot?
Speaker 1: How are you going with this series? I want to know it because you said you're up to date, So how are you going watching this one?
Speaker 2: So the first episode I was a bit like, what's going on here? Is a bit of a slow boon, but it is one of those ones where it sort of sets it up. In that first episode, you're sort of wondering who's who in the zoo and how they're all sort of connected. And then the second episode kicks in and it sort of takes you back, and that's where you start to really understand the characters, why they're there, why they are the way they are. Now, I think I'm up to episode four. They're only doing one a week, and I am loving it. It's quite heavy content. It's not one that you're just going to sort of put on in the background or while you're making dinner. You really need to sit down and watch it. But I think the characters are really rich, There's a lot to explore there, and I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I just don't know if the flow is off a little bit for me. I mean, it's hard not to compare this to other Kidman's TV series, like Big Little Lies in the Undoing and maybe even lesser so Nine Perfect Strangers. But those other shows that she had on TV were very punchy and they moved a lot faster. I don't know, is the flow off for you a little bit?
Speaker 2: I watched a Couple in a Row and I think once I did that, I was a bit more engross in it. I think that's maybe the risks sometimes with the shows only dropping one episode a week, is that by the time you come back to it, if sort of all these other things have happened, you've consumed all this other media and you're a bit like, oh, I have to get back into this headspace. Where did it finish? Where the land? So I think sometimes watching a few of those ones particularly when they're a bit slower and more detailed. Is a good idea, So I am enjoying it. It's a very good performance from Nicole. I mean, all the casting, I would say is very good. It's just interesting because they've got a lot of solo scenes. They've got their own storylines going on, so it's a different dynamic to big Little Lives where they're all coming together. And I guess Nine Perfect Strangers was the same were you're seeing a lot of this sort of ensemble scenes all the time. This one sort of isn't like that, but a very interesting concept. Probably a bit triggering. I don't have children personally, so I can't imagine, but I think it would be a bit of a sensitive one to watch four people that have lost a child. For sure.
Speaker 1: Is Nicole's Wig two distracting for you? I mean, or even noticeably. I don't know if you pick this up, but there's a lot of there's a noticeable weight loss to Nicole Kidman in this. I mean, I don't know. You might want to jump in on this and correct me. Is it wrong to even comment on Nicole's appearance at this?
Speaker 2: Stay?
Speaker 1: Like, am I going to get canceled? For even highlighting this stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean in the context of the role. I mean, people do things physically all the time when they get rolled, they bulk up, they slim down, they do different hairstyles, whatever. I mean. It's not like she's looking glam in this role. But nor is she supposed to be. She's a grieving mother. She is going through the motions of that, all the aftermath that comes with that, you know, issues with her husband. She's got two other kids that she's trying to pair, and she becomes very manic obsessive about looking after them because now she's lost a child. There's a lot going on there. So in the context of the role, no, I wouldn't say. I sort of got distracted by that. She looks the part to me in terms of the role she's portrayed.
Speaker 1: I think for people who might not be watching this show as of yet, please just jump forward five minutes because we are going to just quickly delve into some parts of the series that may be considered spoilers. Because we are talking at episode four, which is where you and I are up to. I wanted to ask you about where the blame lies for you as a viewer, because I find it really interesting the nanny Mercy, who's played both g young you. I think that she's made a very common human error while looking after that child and has answered the phone and only for just a few seconds, has taken her eye off this child. How's this landing with you? With the amount of blame that both of the parents seem to have over you know, the abduction of this child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the child gets lost in a busy Hong Kong night market. Nicole's character doesn't know this young girl that well at this point, but she's almost auditioning her to be a nanny, and that's when the child sort of gets lost, you know, when this girl takes her off Mercy to you know, just go have a look at a toy or whatever. I mean, this is where I'm saying it could be quite triggering. I can imagine parents every day a living with that, Oh my god, I've got to watch my kid twenty four to seven, so nothing bad happens, and it would become so tiring and so obsessive, and you're sort of having those moments where you're like, I need to just let things go. Everything's fine, and this is just an innocuous moment where in a split second, the worst of the worst has happened and the nightmare starts to play out from there. I think it's interesting watching it as a viewer, not necessarily thinking about the blame, but you're seeing it from both sides, and that's where it becomes compelling viewing, because you're seeing Nicole's side, how could she have let this happen, all the trauma, the family becoming torn apart, And then you're seeing Mercy who was literally just someone who got called up for a dinner, went for a walk in the market, and in two seconds flat, suddenly this child is gone under her sort of watch, I guess, but nothing intentional on her behalf at all, and then how it affects both of their lives moving forward. So I think it's definitely a It's a complex story to navigate, but I'm quite enjoying that sort of reveal of emotion.
Speaker 1: Do you have a position on whether or not Marguerite and Clark should be leaving Hong Kong? I mean, the show is about expats, and it's brilliantly told, you know, through the lens of what it is like to be an expat in Hong Kong. And then also we're starting to see the lens of what the people from Hong Kong think of expaths. I think all of that is where for me, it's quite uicy to look at. But do you think that if you'd lost a child whilst overseas, not living in your country, that you would find it hard to return home? Like would you stay in Hong Kong?
Speaker 2: Of you among Marin, it's very hard. I mean, anyone that's lived in a new country, a new location, you don't have that same support network around you. It's very daunting and I can only imagine what that would be like living in such a big city like Hong Kong. But you know, we see in this latest episode her husband wants to go back, and she says, I'm not leaving here without knowing what has happened to my child. So you know, that's where they're going to have I can imagine a bit more of really going to be a hard time for them in sort of navigating that together, because they're not on the same page as a couple. He wants to return back with their other children and give them a bit more normal.
Speaker 1: And the children want to return. Do you know that's the other thing.
Speaker 2: We're not going We're not abandoning, you know, our son. We don't even know if he's necessarily passed away. We don't know what's happened to him. And that's where it's sort of landed. So it'd be interesting to see the next few episodes. But I think it's not one that everyone's going to enjoy, but I am enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Well. The next episode is out over the weekend, so we haven't had a chance to see that yet, but the episode four Mainland has been out, and yeah, I think it's definitely. I think it's different, you know, I think it's giving people some things that are different to look at. It's kind of a little bit less sensationalized or something. I don't know. I guess there are those points.
Speaker 2: There hasn't been the hype around it like there is about other Nicole things. And certainly she's not glamorous like she was in The Undoing or Nine Perfect Strangers. You're not sort of like, oh Nicole, she doesn't have that aura on on screen, but della performance from her, I would say, Well.
Speaker 1: Griselda is an American biographical crime drama series. It were television's mini series directed by Andre Sbas, produced by Eric Newman and Sophia Vigara, the story focuses on as savvy and ambitious Colombian business woman Griselda Blanco, who creates one of the most profitable cartels in history. You watched episode one and you recommended it to me, so I'm running to know a little bit more about your take on this show.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've binge watched this show in a couple of days, and I mean it's still trending now, so plenty of time to jump on if you haven't yet watched it. Again, I didn't know much about this story. I mean, it's based on story. Its woman is just a force of nature. Sophia Vigara. I've never seen her in a role like that, so I think a lot of people, you know, would tune in with a bit of interest to be like, huh, we've only seen her as the funny, you know, the glamorous you know on Modern Family, and now she's playing this grishie, you know, leader of a drug cartel, and you know, I mean she worked with Pablo Escobar, like it it's crazy. I mean, there's a lot of subtitles and it is again another one that's a bit of a slow burn for the first couple of episodes, but then it just explodes. And I think when you start to watch it alongside knowing that this really sort of did play out this way and the craziness that went on at that time and how violent it was, how erratic it was, it really makes you know for interesting viewing.
Speaker 1: Is Sophia Vigara worth the incredible amounts of money that she gets paid and has been paid over the last few years, because this is a very different side of her and she does definitely is. She's actually quite mind blowing in this role, because you're right, we had only seen her in comedic stuff before. But I don't understand how someone likes Sophia Vigha or anyone, whether we go back to Nicole Kidman, I don't understand, or even Ellen Pompari or what her name is from Gray's Anatomy. These amounts of money are insane, Like, what do you think about Sophia Viagara being the highest paid actress in me in television at the moment?
Speaker 2: Oh, I say, hats off, hats off because they've had a career that have had the longevity.
Speaker 1: And that's off McLean because you know how many hats you would buy if you had that kind of money in the bank.
Speaker 2: I love a hat too. By the way that I know you do something, I would be adding a few more to casts. But I mean, honestly no, because would anyone be asking those questions about Chris Hemsworth getting another raised another installment of thought. No they will. So you know, she was sitting in the makeup chair getting the prosthetics and things for hours. There's a lot that goes on behind these rolls. They're on location, so I think anyone that can be negotiating a higher salary, you know, because they've all done the shitty jobs and the jobs where they probably weren't getting paid that much, and jobs that they didn't want to do. So I'm I'm pretty sure Sophia Viagara was on the production team for this as well, so to have that sort of role within the show as well, she needs to be paid accordingly. So every dollar that these women get, I say, hats off.
Speaker 1: You know this again is real life true crime mini series, which is your jam. I know you love it. We honestly can't seem to get enough of these true crime series. Is there going to be a point that, even for someone like yourself who loves this genre, that it's going to become that we're going to be oversaturated.
Speaker 2: Well, I think now that we've got so many streaming platforms at our fingertips, and every streaming platform is making sort of more of these sort of shows, I think we're just getting more of everything across the board. So I think ultimately, you know, they're just going to keep making them. We'll start tuning into what we want to tune into. If anything's falling completely flat, well I guess they potentially look at the stats on that and maybe it'd just the offering. But I think at the moment, people are just consuming so much. Actually interesting that I noticed someone said to me the other day and I went, ah, I can see that. I think we're hitting that point on the streaming platforms where the writer's strike had kicked in and there wasn't new material sort of for that sort of at least six months, potentially twelve. I think we'll start to get new stuff dripped fed a little bit slower because a lot of the things that you see that are in the trending, you're like, oh, it's from twenty twenty one, or you know, from twenty twenty two, or it's not necessarily things that have dropped late twenty three or into twenty four, So potentially we will be recircling back on some older material. Who knows.
Speaker 1: You keep talking about this a bit throughout this episode, and I wanted to know your thoughts on do you prefer a full series dump or would you like them to be Do you like your series released week by week?
Speaker 2: I like full dump. I said that.
Speaker 1: I realized how gross that's out up.
Speaker 2: I know, I just thought I'll point that out to you. No, I do I prefer a full one because I think, yeah, I like the idea that you can just get fully engrossed in something and you can watch it all in one go. And I think we're all so busy at the moment. I think how we consume media has changed, and I think, you know, I used to love that sort of you know, friend Seinfeld used to know what night it was on, and you get very excited for it. I just think times have changed a little bit now. We don't necessarily have those windows every week that are consistent to tune into things.
Speaker 1: Get as well. I just forget I just will be like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, and then you joined it back in on the next episode, you sort of forget where it's at. So I like, just if I've got a window and I'm in the zone and there's, you know, some good content to be had, I've got a window to consume it, I would rather just be there.
Speaker 1: And you know, before we move away from this, but from Griselda, I just was also thinking about this. I wonder how well this show is going to do. And we kind of talked about the sexism when it comes to pay a quality, but I was also wondering about this sort of female gangster you know, does that draw a crowd the way that a male gangster series. I mean, Sophia is fantastic in this and I do have a lot of respect for her, but is she stepping into sort of a boy genre.
Speaker 2: Well no, I mean, that's really what happened. And Pablo Escobar, I think it's a very famous quote. He goes, there was only one man I was ever afraid of, and it was a woman called Griselda Blanco. And that's the true story. So you know, all these women that are finding these roles, these stories to bring to light and I think in recent times we've seen people even like Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon and all these people that were saying, you know, they used to not be these rich characters on offer for women after the age of forty and now with making their own production companies and going and finding these stories bringing them to the screen. I think the fact that streaming now is accepted, it's not this dirty word that it wasn't. You know, you don't get in the cinema, So therefore it means I think it's bringing all these stories to the broader realm, and I think we're all enjoying watching them. So you know, I don't think necessarily boy genre, female genre, whatever you want to call her.
Speaker 1: Without looking like we're being canceled. Like you know, I don't want to get to I don't want people to come at me for this because you know, you know me well enough to know that this is not who I am as a person. But I do question whether or not, I mean, what does Robbie think? Does Robbie want to watch this kind of a genre with a female protagonist at the lead, And actually that's really bad because we don't want Robbie to be the vox pop and you.
Speaker 2: Know, to answer your question, he loved it.
Speaker 1: He loved it.
Speaker 2: It's a true story. So it's not even like it's you know, it's it's something that she's created. But I think we want to see diversity from all these actors. You know, if they keep playing the same part over and over and over again, then they get sort of typecast into only playing one genre and that they don't have enough sort of complexity to take on these other roles. So I think what she's done with this role is actually show us a completely different side of her. We're all still talking about it, we're all still watching it because it's still trending weeks in. Definitely people are responding to the material.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep watching. I've only seen episode one, but I definitely am going to keep watching. I was actually it did take me to the very end of the episode for me to go, oh, I really want to see what happens to this woman. There was kind of this catwoman moment, you know, where she was shot. I don't know, there was something quite you know, fem fatale in that which I was like, oh, I want to get more. I want to get more of it.
Speaker 2: Well, what you do get as well is an interesting juxtaposition because she's obviously running this huge drug cartel by the end of it, and she is the one that everyone is fearing, and she is the godmother of cocaine in Miami, I think, but she's also a mother herself. Do you sort of see the juxtaposition of the softness and her trying to protect her own family and that sort of real maternal instinct that comes from wanting to protect her own tribe, but yet everything that she is creating around her, the violence, the chaos. It's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, as we dive into what to watch this week on the Box, I need to quick talk about married at First Sight, because we're very, very lucky. We're actually we have listened to here today to talk to us a little bit about some of those questions that people have in the media. I did ask you at the start, so you're not really watching this series, but have you come across Lissend a light at all?
Speaker 2: Well, I've seen little snippets of social media, so it wasn't intentional that I hadn't watched maps, but yes, I'm only catching up on the little snippets. So you're you're definitely in charge of this one.
Speaker 1: Do you think she's an actress? Have you seen her at all? Do you think she's an actress? Did that come across?
Speaker 2: They almost think everyone's an actor in that story, and I think maybe they're not specifically, but I do think a lot of them do go on there in the hopes of becoming an actor, even if they can put their hand on their heart and say no, I'm not one. But then if you said would you want to be one? I think they would answer yes.
Speaker 1: Well, I caught up with her this week, as I said, and here's a part of the conversation for people to enjoy.
Speaker 3: Hi, Ben, your gorgeous creature. I, like a lot.
Speaker 1: Of Australia, am quite obsessed with you. So this is a real joy to be able to have this conversation and chat with you to oh thanks Ben. How has Australia reacted to you being on mouse? Well?
Speaker 3: Look, to be honest, I've been hiding out under a rock on the Great Ocean Road and in our family homes. I've barely been out of our little community at areas in much so. I mean I'm in Sydney today, but I really you know, have just been sort of watching the circus from a very quiet sanctuary, so feeling very grounded and humans by it all, really, and I've also just been so blown away by the love and support that's come my way. It's been very humbling.
Speaker 1: I want to know, how do you handle people coming up to you and people asking you if you're an actor? Oh? There has been a bit of that.
Speaker 3: There's been lots of articles coming out saying that I'm a faint and an actor and a this and a that.
Speaker 2: And look I'm in there.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of merit to it because I do run cabarets. I'm an MC but I'm kind of a bit of the opposite of an actor in that I'm the full expression of myself and I absolutely live by authenticity, you know, through and through. But yeah, people just go hell, what is this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: When I see you, I just want to be your friend. I just you know, when we first sort of present you, it can look like you're a bit mad, and then you know, you get to know you more and more, and I think Australia just keeps falling in love with you. The relationship with yourself and Timothy has to be one of the most engaging that we've seen or married at first Sight. And I've been trying to ask you this about the success of the show and your take on it. Do you think the successive Meredith First Sight is found in the accessibility of some of the issues that we're as an audience can relate to.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think, you know, the more relatable and the more diversity of people covering issues that we all have to face within our humanity and within our relationships. You know, the more that that's represented on a show like this, the more fruitful it is for everybody, because you know, it's that relatability and almost the education of going, oh my god, I see that in me, or that's my partner, that's what gas lighting is, or that's how you do that, or you know, I just think it's a amazing offering out there, a show that is Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that's what we all see. We all see things that are happening between you two, and I guess we can see ourselves in sort of parts of that, which I think is quite fascinating to watch. I mean, you offer a unique personality to a show like this, and I have to say, a really applaud Channel nine for continuing to find new stories and extraordinary personalities like yourself. Could we see more of you after this experiment, regardless as of what happens with Timothy, Well.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm I'm this moment to moment at the moment really just sort of enjoying the ride and kicking back, and we'll just see what unravels really, you know, at the moment, for me, I'm just staying grounded, staying well, keeping my heart open, enjoying my relationships and enjoying the show. And I'm in no rush for anything. We'll just see what happens.
Speaker 1: I want to know, what does it look like? What does watching Maths each tonight look like for you? Are you there with a crisp white wine? Are you having a cup of tea? What helps you get through watching this show?
Speaker 2: Tell you what?
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'm melting into the couch and in deep humiliation, but especially when stage ten Clinger edit came on, I was just like, oh my god, the poor bustard, you know, chicken wing and a couple of other scenes. But yeah, I'll usually because at the moment, I'm down on the Great Ocean Road at my family home and I'm hanging out with one of my favorite people in the world, which is my mum, and it looks like it's just been curled up on the couch sipping tea pretty much and having a giggle and her at times having to cancel me through going or us both just having the biggest cosmic joke laugh at all about snapping our knees and you know, just not taking it too seriously.
Speaker 1: I think that's something in that though, isn't there Like we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. I mean, I have to tell you that my man boobs felt very seen by you on a couple of the moments from the other night, and I love to go the man boober quality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, free the nipple absolutely well.
Speaker 1: A lovely to chat with you. I feel like I could talk to you forever, your beautiful soul, and I think you as someone very different that we haven't seen on television before. And I think it's making all of us realize that we should embrace who we are and be very proud of who we are.
Speaker 3: And I think it takes one to know one Ben, So right back at your brother and yeah, I hope you know.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the chaw.
Speaker 3: That was delightful.
Speaker 1: Hopefully people have enjoyed just Lucinda joining us there and explaining her take on people. Assuming she's an actor. I need to ask you are you're watching Australian Idol. I know you're a huge Idol fan. Back in the day, you I think ran across a a Devido fan club.
Speaker 2: I did. I had a T shirt. And then we would they put the this is before like mobile phones, so they would put the big phone banks up at shopping centers, like with like ten phones in a bank, like mobile phone banks, and we would encourage people to come over to the phones and cast their vote. It was very exciting. And then I went to the after party and I thought it was the best night of my life. It's probably second to my wedding.
Speaker 1: I just love that story so much. I'm so glad that we got to include it. I want you to Are you watching the series? I don't think you are.
Speaker 2: I'm only watching little clips on social media. I mean because then I get to see all the good bit.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the guy Ripley? Have you been able to hear he's done too long? So far? He did Muma Mia and then he did Harder Glass. Have you heard those?
Speaker 2: Yes? And I love when people just do songs that are so unexpected like that. That really takes you somewhere different, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Here's a little clip of Ripley for people who not watching Idle And the reason why I'm playing this clip is just a showcase how good the talent is this year. So enjoy so muchmuss gone. I think we should talk about what to watch what's on TV this week? Stan Australia has been loving themselves sick with Rupaol's drag Race franchises, which we have seen being made all over the world, including here in Australia. Had a Condac who was in series two of down Under is now representing us in the UK's version of UK Versus the World RuPaul's hosting. Have you ever watched RuPaul's drag Race?
Speaker 2: Oh? Of course, just so much fun that is. That's the content that just makes you smile. You can put it on anytime everyone's there, just to smile, laugh, Bring the looks, honey, and bring a bit of stas.
Speaker 1: That is my dream is to watch episodes of that so like next time we are in the same state, we are a one hundred percent going to watch a RuPaul's Drag Race episode together because that is my dream. Okay, ad to kat Well that new series has started episode one. He's already out. It was called The Queen's Variety Show. New episodes drop every Saturday at ten am in Australia. So I hope Anaconda does well. I did enjoy her on the Australian series, and it is always nice to have Australians representing us in any kind of global competition.
Speaker 2: Absolutely fly that Aussie flag.
Speaker 1: Hot Mister Bates versus the Post Office is out already. You can watch that on seven plus Great. It is brilliant, a really engaging true story. I mean it is true crime to a certain extent, but it's just, I don't know, so compelling, and the characters are so accessible and so raw. You know, I'd never heard of what had happened to these people who are affected by what was like a computer glitch that happened at the post offices in the UK which saw their bookkeeper a lot of the bookkeepers being wrongfully sent to jail. This series says a lot about corporate greed and proves that good and evil doesn't just belong in the movies. Have I teased you enough to want to watch the show?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely, And I think this is the brilliance of having so many streaming platforms pumping out this content because stories like these are getting brought to lot and I think we're all here for it. I love the true stories, I really do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: It's out on seven. It's out on the seven network now, so mister Bates versus the post Office. First two episodes dropped yesterday and there's two more episodes that are going to be coming out on the twenty first of February. So that is a huge recommendation. I would very rarely say four or five stars to a show, but this is four or five star shows. Well, last thing we're going to finish off with Alana. You and I have talked about this quite a bit. Binge is about to drop Apple's Never Fall, which is based on the late one of the Leanne Moriarty books, stars Sam Neil and At Benning, Allison Brie and White Lotus is Jake Lacy. He was in the first series of White Lotus. I think he's very sexy. Feel free to google that. While I keep talking this intro, what Leanne does well in her storytelling is the deconstruction of family dynamics, and this show looks very gorgeous. It's filmed in Queensland, although it is said in Miami, so Queensland Gold Coast is doubling for Miami. So that's actually quite interesting to watch at times because you'll obviously see things that we are familiar with in the Gold Coast and be like, wow, so that's quite amazing. What do you think? Have you got ambitions? Have you got hopes that this will be as good as a Big Little Lives?
Speaker 2: I definitely have ambitions and hopes that that will be as good as Big Little Lives? And do you know what, if you have got and Net Benning in the helm, you are in with a good shot. What an outstanding actress. I'd only just watched Naiad the film that You've been again another you know, amazing true.
Speaker 1: Story that I dominated for an Academy I've known.
Speaker 2: About had that film not been made Jodie Foster. Obviously they're both nominated for Academy Awards, so I'm really looking forward to watching that. I will definitely be watching that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, well, we've managed to smash this and get through so much content. Hopefully we've been able to help people with what to watch. I am always so appreciative of your time, and as I listen to you unpacking shows, television, actors, actresses, I just realized how much I love your takes on these things, and I'm sure people who are listening do too, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Feel free to challenge us or add your takes into it as well, because very fluid all these things that we're watching, and everyone has different opinions on them, but certainly really appreciate your opportunity to share. Well.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoy singing some Kyli Minogue songs on the way to work this morning is.
Speaker 2: A Friday, definitely, and new Beyonce takes us hold them.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard any of that is a country Beyonce?
Speaker 2: Yes, what is going on?
Speaker 1: Is it good?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Country is having a moment. Maybe we need another podcast, What Music Watch by Van