Speaker 1: Laura, come on hello everyone.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Happy Tuesday everyone. I have some one day old cake for you all.
Speaker 3: Did you burn this one with a sparkler as well?
Speaker 2: No, nothing like celebrating Yesterday. It was my daughter's birthday.
Speaker 4: She's four, finally, and we didn't tell her it.
Speaker 3: Was her We've been well. We didn't tell her.
Speaker 2: It was her birthday until we picked her up from daycare because we didn't want her to get upset in the morning that we had to go to work.
Speaker 4: So she only found out it was her birthday at four point.
Speaker 5: Put your kid into not knowing it was their own birthday.
Speaker 3: We used to go to daycare and celebrate with their friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I had to go to work early in the morning.
Speaker 4: It was a whole thing.
Speaker 5: You can't, Laura's all, No, that's trauma.
Speaker 3: I remember four.
Speaker 4: But she was a lovely surprise when she.
Speaker 3: Remember this shocks me.
Speaker 2: She came home it was Monday afternoon and we said, maybe it's your birthday today, Happy birthday, and then we had a party for her.
Speaker 5: She's going to be so messed up. She's going to think with all her future partners that birthdays start at noon.
Speaker 3: No, four pm. The day is almost over.
Speaker 5: Just coincides when the pickup's over and our birthday starts.
Speaker 1: The odds, you know what the day's going to click when she's like, hang on mom, work every day.
Speaker 2: No, she knew it was her birthday, but we didn't want to make a big deal about it in the morning because because nothing was really planned in the route and we both had to go to work. So we made a big fuss about her last night. And if you guys don't want to eat your one day old cake, I'll have it myself.
Speaker 4: You're taking ungrateful all right?
Speaker 1: Well, coming up, I saw some new stats today. It is a surprising amount of people of Australians that are getting cosmetic surgery. And you won't believe the top three.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we spoke about this recently and how prevalent it is. But part of me is not surprised. I feel like everybody is getting plastic surgery. Now maybe it's just in my second Well.
Speaker 3: The stats aren't one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: But I'm not got my Brazilian But if you guys weren't that shots remember and.
Speaker 3: When you're at your hair transplant.
Speaker 5: Transplant, Yeah, I was in Turkey.
Speaker 4: For success and you are looking at great Mitch. Also, we want to know how did you ruin a wedding?
Speaker 2: Because look, I ruined a wedding on the weekend, and I don't want to feel as bad as I do.
Speaker 5: All Right, that's all on the way here on the pickup thanks to Chemists Warehouse. Heading today it's great savings every day. It's the pickup around the country, Britt, Laura and Mitch Tuesday, thanks to Chemists Warehouse. Right now, write this down. There's half price off cosmetics across the Maybelene, Revlon Rimmel and Nude by Nature's Rangers or at Chemists Warehouse.
Speaker 3: Speaking of cosmetics, but the different kind. A little while ago on this show, we were speaking about the rise of cosmetic surgery. We had a discussion about it.
Speaker 1: But I have got some pretty alarming statistics that have come out about cosmetic surgery here in Australia.
Speaker 2: Well, we're talking about how prevalent it is across social media now and how it's like so normalized that it's almost gone past the point of being normalized to the point where now it's celebrated.
Speaker 5: I know, I remember thinking like way back when that facelifts were only something that Kim Kardashian or Chris Jenna would get. But now like my piano teachers how to facelift, she looks great totally.
Speaker 1: It used to be the botox were only for Hollywood all that kind of stuff, and now it's just very accessible. Well, almost seven million Australians, or thirty eight percent of the adult population are considering undergoing cosmetic surgery in the next ten years.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, the funny thing about this study is it says that almost half are doing so to feel better about themselves.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't say what the other half are doing it for.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Fifty percent are obviously saying I want to change something to feel better for me. I'm doing this for me, but what are the other fifty percent doing it for?
Speaker 2: Even when we say that you're doing it for yourself. And I do understand, I know that there are some people who there's things that they don't like about themselves, and like, if you want to go out and get plastic surgery, this is absolutely no judgment on it, but I do wonder are you doing it because it's to feel better about yourself or you're doing it because there's a deep insecurity that comes that needs to be fixed. You know you're going to fix one thing and then that's not going to make you feel better. So you've got to go and fix something girls, or change something girls. I don't know what is the best reason to go and get plasting sel.
Speaker 5: Actuary A, a bit of col a, bit of column B. But if it is an insecurity and fixing it makes you feel better than gray, like problem solved.
Speaker 1: I'm pro cosmetic surgery. If somebody wants to feel better about themselves. I don't there's no problem with it. That's not what this is about.
Speaker 3: But listen to this statistic. More than one.
Speaker 1: Billion dollars is spent every year on more than five hundred thousand procedures. Now that makes it more popular in Australia per capita than the United States. Cosmetic surgery is more popular in Australia than the United States.
Speaker 3: Is that not wild?
Speaker 5: That's crazy?
Speaker 4: I mean it makes me.
Speaker 2: I know that you say, like, if you want to do something to fix something about yourself it makes you feel better about yourself. That it's fine, And I do think it's fine. But there's part of me that also things. I guess it's because I have two little girls. I would hate for my children to grow up feeling insecure and thinking, well, that's okay, I'll just get my boobs done and my nose done and then my butt done, and then I'll be more beautiful than people will like me. More like, what is the insecurity there that you should be addressing more so than the reason of getting something fixed?
Speaker 5: I think I have to go hand in hand. I think, like you have to you've got to be aware of why you're doing it. But that also doesn't negate that it can help. Well.
Speaker 1: This is also why it's so good that the government are bringing in now that to go and get cosmetic surgery, you're supposed to have a consult with a professional, a psychologized as like to really get to the bottom of why, make sure you understand. I think that that's a great step forward for this. But the most popular cosmetic surgery here in Australia. Number one, what do you reckon it.
Speaker 5: Is boobs have to be boobies?
Speaker 1: No, it's rhinoplasty, which is the nose. It's a nose job is number one. Number two boobs and number three is I'm going to say the colloquial name is an eyelift, had all three and the hair transplant. You had the hair transplant at.
Speaker 5: Lushy do I get a free sort of transplant by three get one free punch card.
Speaker 2: There are so many people now though, that are very transparent. Even Julia Morris spoke about when she got an eyelift done, and she was talking about on her social media. I do think it's become very, very normalized. And I have nothing against plastic surgery, but I do think it's wild that thirty eight percent of the population doesn't just want to age. Thirty eight percent of the population are like, I'm going to change something.
Speaker 3: If I can stop myself aging one day, I'm going to do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I'm so for it. People. One hundred years ago, I wanted to live to thirty and not get polio. Now we've got all these amazing procedures to look good. I'll take it. I don't care.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm You just asked me where to get botox.
Speaker 5: I'm not won't repeat that.
Speaker 4: I'm not baiting this, Okay.
Speaker 2: I have definitely had moments where I thought I'll go and get my especially after having kids. I was like, oh, maybe I'll go and get myself a boob lift or whatever. And I even had a conversation with that about it my husband once and he said to me, and he was like, it's really hard to explain to our little girls that they're perfect the way they are and they don't have to change anything about themselves if you have gone and gone and gotten things done yourself. So that was the one thing that changed my mind about it, because I was like, well, I want them to feel beautiful exactly as they are, So I think I'm just gonna have to age gracefully if I want to.
Speaker 5: Can only celebrate their birthdays for six hours? Yeah? No, kids first first, next to the show, Laura going back into it, tell everyone what happened at the wedding on the weekend? Quickly?
Speaker 2: Oh, one of my beautiful friends. They got married on the weekend. It was truly a special occasion and it was lit up even more so by the fact that I set myself on fire and I also set the wedding cake on fire and set off the fire alarms right at the crucial moment.
Speaker 3: I love that that's not even clickbait. She literally set herself a fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I have the bvantages to prove it.
Speaker 5: Laura ruined a wedding and if you have two, will take your calls next thirteen one, I six five at the pickup. It's the pick up around Australia. Happy Tuesday afternoon with Brittain, Laura and Mitch heading to chemist ware house today, great savings every day. Britt Laura still got her bandaged fingers.
Speaker 3: I think she's gotta be banished for a while.
Speaker 4: I'm here.
Speaker 2: I've got my pointer finger and my thumb all bandaged it up because I set myself on fire on the weekend. To everyone, So, I had a friend's wedding. It was a beautiful wedding, and I was put in charge with lighting the sparklers, which seems like an innocent enough job, but I took it really seriously and I tried to light an entire pack of sparklers at the same time, and they went up like a bomb.
Speaker 3: You ruined your friend's wedding.
Speaker 2: I almost set the place on fire. I set the wedding cake on fire, and I set myself on fire.
Speaker 5: Your bandage to tell the story, can I just say you threw the sparkle bomb at the cake.
Speaker 4: I threw it on the cake.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't want to throw it on the bar because the bar was wooden and the whole place had a Hessian roof.
Speaker 3: Bro it's not the fact it's wooden, it's alcohol.
Speaker 4: It's also okay.
Speaker 2: The fire alarm went off right at the pinnacle beautiful moment when they were about to announce that they were getting married.
Speaker 4: It was a whole thing, you know, to make.
Speaker 3: Yourself feel better.
Speaker 4: You got me.
Speaker 3: Thinking I ruined the wedding. Ones just got back the reception.
Speaker 1: We'd only just started to eat the main meal, so we're pretty early into the night.
Speaker 3: I obviously was feeling happy. God only knows why.
Speaker 1: I decided to drink red wine. But I went up to her to congratulate them and hug them, tripped and my entire red wine went down her wedding dress.
Speaker 3: Britt that's the bride, the whole, and I down in the front of her. I started crying. I stood there and started crying.
Speaker 1: I was shaking because I was like, you can one shot it this day, and I'm just and I was beside myself, and I was like, don't make this about me, and I was like, what can I do?
Speaker 3: The weight stuff? She was fine, she was like, it's fine.
Speaker 6: Doh.
Speaker 3: We got the photos and I was like.
Speaker 1: It's not fine, it's your wedding day. Anyway, we poured leaters of soda water that they were getting.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure she loved dancing around in a wet dress for the rest of the night.
Speaker 4: That would have been even better.
Speaker 3: Can you believe that?
Speaker 1: I feel like it's the ultimate thing besides setting the whole venue on fire, is putting red wine on.
Speaker 4: At least I didn't set the bride on fire.
Speaker 5: Grace on thirteen one, six five. What happened at the wedding? What went wrong? Oh?
Speaker 7: Okay, well this wasn't me. This is actually what my brother did at his own wedding. He got a little bit excited the night before and had a few too many drinks and he was so hungover that he actually missed the ceremony. Oh god, look he did. Like, you know, we waited for a few hours and it was like, oh, you know, we're kind of falling damage. This is a few years ago now, and we're all sort of in damage control, and you know, we got to the reception and he came to the reception, but he looked like an absolute zombie, like he like eyes were all like blood spots and everything, and we're trying to just make it this really like chill situation to cover what was just an absolute awful.
Speaker 2: How do you even go to the reception when there hasn't actually been a wedding, they're not.
Speaker 3: Married, but you paid for it's still got to go party.
Speaker 7: You paid, well a lot of money I've been spent, so you've just got to kind of roll with.
Speaker 3: What did his fiance do?
Speaker 7: Well? I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but it wasn't great.
Speaker 5: Joe, Hey, how did you ruin the wedding? What happened to you?
Speaker 6: I didn't ruin a wedding, but I was a wedding planner, so just about ten years ago, and I was given the CD from a bride who was told who I was told to put on at the start of their ceremony. So as I put the CD in, having not checked out, everyone was gasping. And when I looked up at the four big screens that was above all the wedding guests, it was actually a video of the groom that was standing there in the bride maids having it off together.
Speaker 4: Wait and you played it for everyone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, it was sposedly a montage of photos of them, you know, in their life together before getting married, and you know, beautiful images and whatnot, and that was a very standard thing. It was actually something I suggested. I said, a lot of brides do this, you know, if you were having you know, some images and papas with CD and we'll put it up to the ceremony. And I'd actually had this a CD given to me a couple of days before at their rehearsal, and it was legitimate of their images, so I didn't think anything to check it again. And yeah, the CD she'd given me the second time around just happened to be this video that she catched.
Speaker 4: She ruined her own wedding.
Speaker 6: Well, no, she actually had a really good time because her whole his whole family and friends were obviously mortified, got up and left, and she continued to have the reception with just her friends.
Speaker 3: And this is a movie.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh yeah. It was tricky at the time, but we got there.
Speaker 4: My mouth is on the floor.
Speaker 2: I can't I feel absolved of my mistakes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my accidents that I did. No one invite me to your weddings. I'm a liability.
Speaker 5: All right. Next on the show, we're discussing how old is too old to have a baby as from a man's perspective, how old is too old for a daddy to be a daddy? Big discussion. We'll have it next on the pick Up. It is the pickup around the country Tuesday afternoon, Britt and Laura and Mitch. Or thanks to Chemist's Warehouse. Right now, guys, this half price of cosmetics across Maybelene, Revlon Rimmel and Nude by Nature Range is at Chemists Warehouse. There is a new pandemic other than COVID sweeping the world.
Speaker 4: Is it also airborne?
Speaker 5: It's no, it's crotchbrawn. This this is a liquid based pandemic, and it is the pandemic of eighty year old men having babies with women that are a quarter of their aims.
Speaker 4: This one is also close contact though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're talking about I'm talking about Alpucino. Yeah, so this is all sort of back in the news again if you did miss it. Al Pacino welcomed a baby into the world. Al Pacino is eighty three, his partner is twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Oh look, I mean, I know we've said plenty of times, even on this show, we've said age gaps don't matter.
Speaker 4: It's fine.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I read age gaps like that and I'm like, I think they do matter.
Speaker 4: That's not a gap a gad.
Speaker 5: A gap is like ten centimeters between the train and the platform. Is a cliff. That is you're going straight into a river.
Speaker 3: That's not the problem here, guys, we are not ages. Love is love. The problem here is is there a problem? I think there is?
Speaker 1: Is there a problem having a baby when you're about to hit eighty five. Let's be real, with all the science and all the money in the world, you're not outliving one hundred You're not gonna do it. If you do, you're one hundred and three year old, you will not be around for that child.
Speaker 2: I mean the mum will be though, because she's twenty four.
Speaker 4: She's fresh out of university, finishing school.
Speaker 2: But I do think it's pretty hard to bring children into the world knowing that you probably only have five. Maybe if you are so lucky to make it to the ripe old age of ninety six or whatever, that you have ten years left, you're leaving a kid before they're even ten years old.
Speaker 5: Well, this yeous on Chelsea Handler. She's a comedian in the US. She's so funny. She has such a big problem with this. She went and posted a video to her Instagram last night. It's actually quite intense. You looks down the barrel of the camera and has this to say on the whole matter.
Speaker 2: It's new epidemic sweeping the country.
Speaker 4: I know it's not another virus.
Speaker 5: It's worse old men who won't stop spreading their seats.
Speaker 3: They cannot stop procreating.
Speaker 2: Between the four of those guys, they have thirty two children.
Speaker 5: Robert de Niro just had his seventh child at the tender age of seventy nine.
Speaker 4: In my last clearly isn't as old as Murdoch or De Niro.
Speaker 1: He's not in his eighties, but because of his personality he may as well be.
Speaker 5: It's never worth mine, yeai. So she's talking about Elon Musk, al Pacino, Robert De Niro, and Alec Baldwin, all having yeah, thirty two children between they're all over the age of sixty.
Speaker 2: I do think we are very much focusing on the men having the children.
Speaker 4: This takes two to tango.
Speaker 2: There are young women who are married to these men, you know, mighty wealthy, powerful men who have one putting the grave and the other one slipping in. They also wanted to have babies with the men that they chose to marry, So I mean, they're obviously taking the responsibility of the fact that they're going to be parenting these children on their own, with proximply a very big inheritance.
Speaker 5: If we had to put an age on a dad, that's all I'm gonna I'm gonna put an age. Well for a newborn, yeah, for a dad to bring a newborn into the world. I say, like maybe cabin at light seventy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's gonna be someone in their seventies who's listening to this. He doesn't feel too good. Grandparent age, that's under if you're in your seventies. If you're in your seventies and then there's babies coming into the world, you should probably be a granddad, not a year.
Speaker 5: A number.
Speaker 3: I'd say, Okay, you know what, I look at my dad now.
Speaker 1: My dad is sixty five. This is why I have a probably put a number on it, right, my dad's sixty five. If he became a dad now, he's so young and sprightly and fit and he'd be fine, but then you get other sixty five year olds that can't get out of bed.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, then just up at ten years and go seventy five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd go seventy. Don't do it up to seventy end.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm glad, thank you.
Speaker 3: I like to consider my opinions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that if you're in the seven zeros, you're probably a bit too old to be bringing a fresh baby into the You're not going to be running around kicking balls with them, You're not going to be playing soccer.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, well said everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, that's the end of us. We've been our boss at seventy. If you miss anything, you can listen to the pickup podcast on our heart radio.
Speaker 2: We do know if we get any complaints, they're only coming in from men in the eighties who have brand new children.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly right. But when cold and flu strikes did the demison gets it done? Always follow the directions for use Well, what are you up next? Guys?
Speaker 4: They are and I think they're still trapped.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we look, we are trapped. We are in the room filled with puzzles. We've got to solve them all to get out of here. It's themed Indiana Jones themed, obviously, but it's like an Aztec term and yesterday was hectic. We were blindfolded, handcuffed at one stage.
Speaker 9: Now we haven't slept because we've got these looks like kids single bed hammocks in here, which is just awful. Anyway, if you want to hear more about our experience trapped in this room and join us about five minutes.
Speaker 5: Golden alright, I have a good one boy, see tomorrow