Speaker 1: Come on, here.
Speaker 2: We go Vibe.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, I love hum Day so much.
Speaker 3: Now, the reason why I am excited is because you guys know, I mean, Britt, you're a bit of a Bachelor fan as well, but I am.
Speaker 1: I am not a fan. I got dumbed. Yeah okay, well he worked out okay for me, So I am married and had two kids. I got dumb So.
Speaker 4: You're way more of a fan than I am.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I believe in the love stories because I've seen it, I lived it. I am a case study of the Bachelor franchise.
Speaker 4: I still reckon you are Maddy j have just like signed a really long term contract to get the stats up for success.
Speaker 3: So I reckon you signed like a ten year contract. We'll see what happened to. We get a bonus every time we have a baby, every kid, Yeah, and every year. It's like it's like marriage. You know, when you sign a.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 4: But but when you get married, like a preen up?
Speaker 1: How long you say together? How many kids have?
Speaker 3: Except that our prenup is with Warner Brothers.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay.
Speaker 3: Well, the reason why I'm excited is because you might have heard that they have the Golden Bachelor in the States, but they're talking about bringing the Golden Bachelor to Australia, which is a type of reality TV. I can get behind now. The Golden Bachelor. He in the States. His name's Jerry. He's seventy two years old. He is so hot, which sounds really weird saying that, but he is like sexy daddy vibes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if you don't know what the Golden Bachelor is, it's the Bachelor for mature people. They've actually said mature twenty two mature women and Jerry, And Jerry's amazing. I'm obsessed with him. He would have been so hot when he was younger. This is a Bachelor.
Speaker 1: I'm really going to get behind now.
Speaker 4: We have a huge show coming up, but I am going to be talking very openly about my fertility journey.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go.
Speaker 5: The pickup starts now around Australia.
Speaker 4: I know my fertility journey's been something that I have spoken about quite a few times, particularly over this year. For me, it's been quite spread out over the last couple of years. It started probably two years ago when I did my first egg freezing cycle. Yeah, and I am on my third cycle at the moment. So I am thirty six years old for those that are playing at home, and I have quite low fertility and it's something that I never thought I would have because as women, you know, you grow up thinking, don't fel pregnant, do't fall pregnantn't fetregnant, because that's what you're taught. And then all of a sudden the day comes where you're like, time to feel pregnant and you can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and an't no brit as well, like you recently did your second round of egg freezing and the results weren't what you were hoping for and you were so vulnerable and sharing that with everyone.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, so I did my second round only two months ago, now, I think. And you go through weeks of injections and woman injections and I ended up with nothing.
Speaker 1: And that was the slap in the face.
Speaker 4: That was where I was like, oh my god, like even with the help of science, and you've just paid all this money. And I know it's not about money, but that's what you think, right, and that's what the every day person thinks. I've just paid so much money. I have just put my body through hell for weeks. I've had an operation. I've had all of science's help to get what I need and I didn't get anything. And that was like, holy smokes, this this is serious, you know because the last year or so, I've always said it, and I've always joked about, oh, I've got my fertility is not great, you know, like it's probably gonna be.
Speaker 1: Hard for me.
Speaker 4: But then when you get zero, you're like, oh, this is actually really serious. This is not a this is not a my fertility is low, this is a far out How am I ever going to have a britt You were saying you.
Speaker 3: Didn't want to keep talking about it, but your reasoning for not wanting to continue talking about it was more so because you were like, surely people are sick of hearing from it, Like, surely people are sick of hearing my story. And I know for you, because you live it and you're in it, it feels like it's every single day.
Speaker 1: But I can't tell you how.
Speaker 3: Much of a comfort and how much it helps other women out there to hear someone's thinking about what it is that they're going through, because there's nothing harder than when you are trying to for pregnant or you are in that process yourself than just seeing happy pregnancy announcements and never hearing about all of the work that can go into finally getting pregnant for some people. And do you know what in saying that, like, we've had people calling through while you've been talking about this, Brett.
Speaker 1: We've got Emma, Emma on the line.
Speaker 4: Hi, Emma, Hi guys, Hi Emma, Hi, welcome to pick up.
Speaker 1: I wasn't expecting not to call. Thank you.
Speaker 6: No, I was just calling to say a big thank you to you, Britt for putting it out there. Because it's a pretty isolating situation going through IVF, and it's a scary topic that people don't really want to talk about or it's a bit too icky and uncomfortable for them, so they shy away from it.
Speaker 1: Are you going through it? Have you frozen? Are you? Where are you at your journey?
Speaker 6: So we did ovulation induction for and surgeries and all kinds of fun things for nearly three years.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: And then I do have a little one night to go through a lot for him as well. But we started IVF in October because I have indemate races and polocistikovaries and adam iosis, you name it. I've got the trackector. But as you were going through your process, I was sort of going through mine and I started all the needles and I had to go back on your clips because I couldn't like inject them properly. They wouldn't go in. I was like, felt like I was stubbing myself with a dart.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean I still do. I did that today. I was like, get in. I was like, it wouldn't I couldn't break the skin.
Speaker 3: Also, you wouldn't think of this like, I mean even not just from like an emotional support perspective, but from an actual physicality of like how do you do it? I think people underestimate how terrifying it might be to go home and have to inject yourself and do all the hormone stuff that goes along with the fystility.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And I had to psych myself up on that because my husband isn't like he's a placement, so he's not home to help, and the eye to really work my self up to do that first needle, and then to have trouble actually breaking the skin was like I don't know what to do. So then I remember Britad had that problem.
Speaker 2: So I'll go watch brit restabber. So how do I do this?
Speaker 1: Move back on that, Emma, how.
Speaker 3: Are the results for you now in terms of where your headed with your fertility?
Speaker 1: So they were touching go for a while.
Speaker 6: Their doctors were not happy with my response. I had lots, but they were little, so they were going to cancel my cycle. Then they changed their mind and they were like, yes, we'll keep doing it. So I got four eggs in the end who were Bible like mature. Yeah, so it's quite deflated by that. Yeah, and I'm turning thirty five in a couple of weeks, which is apparently ancient in the fertility.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well, welcome to the geriatric world.
Speaker 1: That's the word they used, geriac.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But Emma, it sounds like you at least, yeah, it sounds like you at least got the one, which it's idea, I say, at least, and it's not. It's not amazing, but one is one is something to at least hold on to, and it's better than nothing.
Speaker 6: And I get my result today, So I have one put back in and I've been waiting and being that impatient person testing when I'm not meant to test. I get good results in a few hours.
Speaker 3: Emma, we are absolutely rooting for you and also brit Like, I think, keep sharing because as much as much as you think that it's an overshare, and as much as you might think that you are giving so much of yourself, it really does.
Speaker 1: These conversations really do help women.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I really am just to tie up my update, I really am very optimistic about my results this time because my doctor has purposely put me on a much high doise of hormones, which which makes for a pretty chaotic couple of weeks for me, and it's gonna be very uncomfortable. But I'm optimistic that because that dose is so high, that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have a better outcome. Yeah, I went optimistic for you too, Emma. Thanks so much.
Speaker 6: Em Thank you, No, thanks, guys, thanks you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know that we might have touched on geriatric and we've definitely spoken about the Golden Bachelor on today's show, so it seems like we've got a bit of a theme happening here. Now there is a list that's going viral online and I wanted to talk about all the things that you're not going to do now that you're an adult.
Speaker 1: We're back after these here on the pickup Brett. This weekend.
Speaker 3: It is I mean, believe it or not, it feels like it's snuck up so quickly. It is mine and Mattie Jay's wedding anniversary.
Speaker 1: Wait, so what day.
Speaker 3: It's on Saturday, but we're going to celebrate on Friday because the kids are in daycare. Now, I thought I would surprise matt we've got the kids in daycare. I organized a babysitter, and my plan for the day was that we would go from doing something nice during the day to like having some cute time in the afternoon. Then we'd go out, we'd have some cocktails, we'd be young, we'd be fun, and then we'd go for a late dinner at eight thirty and then we would cruise on into the evening.
Speaker 1: This is very optimistic. You've planned like a fifteen hour day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was like, we need to spend time together because we haven't and work has been so busy, We've not spent a lot of time together recently, and I was like, we can stretch this out. So when I caught up the restaurant, they said, we've got two seatings available. We've got the six o'clock six fifteen or we've got.
Speaker 1: The eight thirty.
Speaker 3: Now six fifteen felt very premature for a celebratory night.
Speaker 1: So I was like, we're going to do it. I booked in the eight thirty. You did what I planned everything.
Speaker 3: It was going to be a beautiful and cute night for us to really spend some quality time together and you know, spend hours in each other's company, which we don't get to do very often. And I called Matt and I told him exactly what I thought we were going to do for our plans for dinner that night. He turned around and he was like, he's like, wait, what was the what was the Was there no other options? And I was like, what do you mean? He's like, was there no other options for dinner? And I was like, yeah, there was a six o'clock booking seating. And he was like, what are you even talking about? He's like, why would you book an eight thirty pm dinner? And I'm yes, but it's because it's no Okay, everyone's shaking ahead at this la.
Speaker 1: How old are you? Thirty seven? Yeah, you don't go out after eight pm.
Speaker 4: It's like the rule you hit thirty five and it's pre eight pm, mins.
Speaker 3: I understand this on a normal night, for being our wedding anniversary. I thought that this was a time where we could really kind of step outside our comfort zone.
Speaker 1: But apparently not, Flora. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what the night is.
Speaker 4: Because at that age, your body won't digest food if you eat it.
Speaker 1: And there certainly won't be.
Speaker 3: Any you can't there'll be no hanky panky time happening if you're eating an eight thirty sitting.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I think that that was like you broke a cardinal rule in a relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, he made me call the restaurant. I had to reorganize. It made me feel very just like we can't have fun anymore.
Speaker 4: I guarantee you, after a ten hour day of whatever fun quote unquote activities you've got planned for you and Matt, you're gonna want the six fifteen booking.
Speaker 1: Isn't it funny?
Speaker 4: Thinking like when you really think, what are you too old for? Because that's definitely one right, Like I won't go out after eight pm, But there's so many things in life that like and if you guys are one of them. Thirteen one oh six five, let us know what you feel like you're too old for. But for me, I feel like I'm too old to have bad cheap tea towels towels. Oh yeah you are, and shit, yeah, now I know that makes me old, and I don't care your snob snob.
Speaker 1: If you buy a cheap aberdashery teatael, if you buy a cheap tetail, there's nothing worse. It doesn't wipe anything up. The water just like runs off it. Cheap sheets, You cannot get into a bed of cheap sheets.
Speaker 4: I will spend my life savings on a good like one hundred billion thread Egyptian contract.
Speaker 3: But the thing is is this, This just creeps up on you right like all of a sudden, It just happens, and then you realize, actually, I'm old because once upon a time, at eight thirty, sitting for dinner would have actually been delightful.
Speaker 1: And now apparently we've passed the point.
Speaker 4: We've got Liz, that's called in Do you think eight thirty too late for a dinner?
Speaker 2: Way too late? I'll like be home in bed. I want to eat and I want to be home at seven point thirty. I feel like I'm too old for small talk yes, I'm not having a bar of it, and especially at the supermarket, don't come at me with your small talk. I'm just at the point now where I wear at my air pod and I'm just like doing the quick little wave bit not having it.
Speaker 4: I was just about to say, do you put your headphones in? But you know what happens when I put my headphones in, people still want to talk and they're like, oh.
Speaker 1: Just take it out for a second.
Speaker 2: And I take it out and I'm like, SERI saying, because mine are the noise canceloating ones too, so by the time you take it out and then you're losing more time.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, then if anyone crosses Liz in the banana aisle, please steer clear, do not engage in a phone conversation.
Speaker 1: Just got a headphones in, you just keep on walking by.
Speaker 4: I'm taking from this, Laura that the general consensus is you made a grave arrow By book in.
Speaker 1: An eight thirty appointment. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've taken that on board. And I feel like Matt was very He was like personally offended that I would have thought otherwise.
Speaker 4: Well, why don't we ask Matt because Maddie Jay and his partner in crime, Ash are coming into studio after the break to talk about November.
Speaker 1: We're back after these here on the pickup.
Speaker 3: All right, Britt, you might have seen some luscious mustaches walking around at the moment, and that is because we're in the thick of November. So you know, we're in the month of November and for anyone who doesn't know, November is our time to unite to take on mental health, side prevention, prostate cancer and testicular cancer and raise awareness for that. Now, we have two exceptionally luscious mustaches here in the studio today.
Speaker 1: I believe it or not, it is not mine.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean I do alright on a you know, on a day as well. But we have my husband, Maddy Jay, who has been sporting one for the last few days. And we also have Ash wigs and they are from the podcast Two Doting Dads, and they are the ambassadors for November this year.
Speaker 1: Hi, guys, welcome to the studio.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having Okay, I need to you to be really honest, both of you. These mustaches look like they're being grown a lot longer than a week.
Speaker 1: Do you get a head start on November?
Speaker 7: Mine's permanent so and look for me, I was like, I'm not going to start again.
Speaker 3: A big.
Speaker 1: Reason behind that is because.
Speaker 7: It's I mean, it's I sort of feel pretty protected behind my mustache and I wasn't willing to give up on it, which even for a moment.
Speaker 5: Which is part of the reason why I wanted to get ahead head start. And I have copped a lot of slack for this that people were saying that you have to clean shave by November one and then start growing and I'm.
Speaker 7: Like, shut up, cat.
Speaker 3: Do you know what though, this is what people don't know about you, Matt. You've got really weak facial hair, and so you need like just like personality a month leader at this moment spoken like.
Speaker 1: A true co host.
Speaker 3: You need like a month lead up to get that sort of like fullness to your upper lip.
Speaker 5: I have had a lot of compliments though, people have literally stopped in their tracks and looked at me and gone, wow, that is impressive.
Speaker 1: What a slug, which is it's really great to hear.
Speaker 7: I think whether if you're clean shave or you're sporting mustache, what's important is that you've got the mustache, because then we start talking about it, right.
Speaker 4: How funny that there's actually it's so competitive though, like you're raising money for charity and awareness, but people are still like you had a two day head start. But the statistics are alarming. Around ten point eight million globally facing life with prostate cancer diagnosis. Testicular cancer is the most common cancer around young men. One man dies by suicide every minute of the day, which is which is crazy to concerned, crazy statistics, very concerning.
Speaker 1: What made you guys want to jump on board?
Speaker 7: Well, for me, since since having kids, my mental health has been a priority. I mean I was suffering very early on and thankfully found my voice and was encouraged to talk and glad I did because it probably saved my life in the end.
Speaker 4: Ash, Do you mean that you were struggling early on with adapting to a new lifestyle being a dad.
Speaker 7: Or yeah, yeah, I mean I always say like, I can't remember what my life was like before kids, but since having kids, early on really struggled and now I've got two happy and healthy kids and the relationship between them is so much better. That my wife encouraged me to go and you know, open my mouth and hopefully just me being able to tell people that I can get one person to do the same and potentially save their lives if possible.
Speaker 1: Was it challenging for you?
Speaker 3: And I don't mean in terms of mental health, but I mean in terms of speaking about it, because I mean traditionally that's what we see right that men. We know that there is a huge issue with mental health, but it is the fact that men have not been conditioned to talk about their feelings, to talk about what they're experiencing. And I know that we can wear I mean we can't, but you guys can wear a mustache. That really kind of brings these conversations to the forefront. But as ambassadors you have to have them. Is that not something that's a bit scary to do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Early on, like the conversation, I always thought like, oh, what's more important is like my wife's health, my kid's health. But you know, putting myself first was hard. But the encouragement for my wife and family and knowing that I wasn't getting any better and everyone else was Yeah. I just went and spoke to a GP and felt really empowered.
Speaker 5: Actually, in this relationship, I've definitely got it a lot easier than Ash. I'm just like I'm growing the mustache poorly, but I'm still trying. But I'm really just heroing Ash and being like Loo, look at Ash's situation is such a poster child for doing the right thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think you undervalue how important it is having friends in our lives who allow for these conversations to be had and you know, to recognize in someone when they're going through a hard time and having the space to allow people to talk through what it is that they're experiencing. And I think that that goes for everybody, that we can create more space for these really difficult conversations.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think even just the act of talking, like we were talking yesterday, mat about you know, if someone was to open up to me, they might not want the solution, They just want me to listen. And that's really important. And I know a lot of my friends have come to me and even just with something really minor, just just to chat about it and it might actually be really relieving for them. But I don't have the answer, but just someone to listen really important.
Speaker 3: If people want to get involved in November, what is the like how do they get involved? And I don't just mean growing a mustache so that there's visibility, but like, how can people actually be helpful to this?
Speaker 5: Well, I think it can be a case of just prioritizing their own mental health and if they're not feeling quite right, then reaching out to say, whether it be a friend or you know, could be a GP and just discussing the situation, or it could be you know, looking at your close circle of friends and those mates if someone seems a little bit off speaking to them and like Ash said, not trying to find the solutions, but just being a set of ears that they can just hear as they open up. I think is really important.
Speaker 4: And I think what you said, Ash is is so true. The more you talk about it, the easier it becomes, and the more you rip that bandit if you're like, oh, there's not as much stigma attached to this as I actually thought there were. So you guys, I mean, we applaud you. You're doing amazing things. Answer the call change the face of men's health. You can donate now at November dot com. Thank you so much for coming in, guys, and don't forget. If you guys would like to win a five hundred dollars Chemist Warehouse voucher, you can head to the Pickup dot com dot Au and tell us how you got petty revenge. Laura, I'd like to see you with mustache next year.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like I have fun those days to anything for men's mental health. Guys, thanks so much for coming in today. Thanks for having us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also for all the amazing work that you're doing for men's too health.
Speaker 1: It really is amazing shop.
Speaker 4: And if people do want to find more, I mean they can see you on Instagram, TikTok everywhere.
Speaker 1: But you can also listen to your podcast on the iheartapp.
Speaker 4: It's two doting dads where you have these incredible conversations.
Speaker 1: So we can't thank you enough.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having us answer the call change the phase of men's health. You can donate now at November dot com. Such an important cause, and don't forget if you'd like a five hundred dollars chemist Warehouse vouchert you can head to the Pickup dot com dot Au and tell us.
Speaker 1: How you got your petty revenge. Well, that is it from us today, guys, see you later. Bye,