Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: A couple of weeks ago. It's my wedding anniversary and so our twenty second year. So I made it little playlist because that's what I like doing and for my wife of songs hits from nineteen ninety eight, and then I bought the playlist in and I played a couple of them to Jakobat. So we turned into a game which has grown over the last couple of weeks, and now each week we're going back to a year and playing a game with you guys at the end of it. But first of all, today we're going back to nineteen eighty three. Patsy nineteen eighty three. What were you up to in nineteen eighty three? You were at school.
Speaker 3: Nineteen eighty three. I was in Grade five at Wang South Primary in nineteen eighty three and about to take up basketball, which lasted about two weeks. I was hopeless at it. It was too rough for me, Prissy.
Speaker 2: I was tanning nineteen eighty three, and I was obsessed about one thing. My whole life was all about when am I going to next get back on my BMX pipe. It's what me and my mates did at all and when I mean all weekend, I mean for like fourteen hours on a Saturday, fourteen hours on a Sunday. BMX in building ramps. Do you like jump some ramps?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah.
Speaker 2: We used to spend hours doing these kind of elaborate jumps and raps. It was all about BMX biking for me in nineteen eighty three. Let's go back to nineteen eighty three then VFL Grand Final and he guesses who was in it who won?
Speaker 3: I think I believe Carlton was favorites, but Richmond took the flag. I think, didn't they?
Speaker 4: I reckon, I reckon. It's Essenon lost to Hawks.
Speaker 2: The Bombers guy knows the sad detail it is. Hawks beat was by eighty three points at the mcg int the crowd of over one hundred and ten thousand, Yeah, in nineteen.
Speaker 4: Eighty three, doesn't that make you?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, obviously people lost their lives in COVID, but you know, just the thought of not you know, I know, footies back tomorrow, which is really exciting, but one hundred and ten thousand, that's what the mcg be, which is crammed final score one hundred and forty to fifty seven, Leigh Matthews bag in six scars, which is incredible. And then this is an amazing moment in your history. You must remember this, Australia winning the America's Cup. Australia broke the longest winning streak in sporting history, still remains a record to this day. On September the twenty sixth, nineteen eighty three, when the Australia two won the America's Cup, sailing into Rhode Island, New York.
Speaker 5: They're going about to go. Australia's about to do it. Here we go and they goes, They're gone off, Dad, done it. Australia has won the American's Cup. I can't believe it's Allan Vondid him Tom Amonius Hendership and I can see the barn Australia poo going for the Liberty is still to come over the bending line.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, obviously was an Australia ninety three? Was it commentated over the phone? I mean that sounds like the footage of man landing on the moon. I mean, I know America's quite a bit away Rhode Island, New York, but this sounds like it's the letlist of landing.
Speaker 3: And the other's probably satellite. Fine.
Speaker 5: It also sounded like a suburban footy match with car horns going up after somebody.
Speaker 2: I think that was attached to obviously, the Australian yacht is a bogan yacht that they'd pimped out.
Speaker 4: And then Bob Hawks said this, He declared.
Speaker 2: It a public holiday. An't the fact that you can just do that? He just declared a public holiday. We've won, We've won a sporting thing. No one's going to work.
Speaker 6: I tell you what, any boss who sex anyone but not turning up the dyer's a bump.
Speaker 4: Back when where there were great world leaders, it's not. And also they laughed at the end. There feels like from a Laurel and Hardy movie.
Speaker 6: I tell you what, any boss who sex anyone but not turning up the dyer's a bum.
Speaker 5: Laugh at a press conference.
Speaker 4: That's what they need of the game to orow night for the opening of round two.
Speaker 6: I tell you what, Any boss who sex anyone but not turning up the Dyer's a bump.
Speaker 4: Do you know what one day should we do the cans after the breakfast shop?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that would be so much fun.
Speaker 2: All right, then this, what's the biggest ending to a TV show ever in nineteen eighty three, I can get this, one hundred and twenty five million people tuning to watch the final episode of Match. It is still in twenty twenty the most watched TV series fin Armie of all time. Second one is ten years later, nineteen ninety three Cheers. That got ninety four million, one hundred and twenty five million people, which is incredible, brilliant, brilliant show as well.
Speaker 4: For me, it was all about this movie.
Speaker 2: The BMX beans felt wild in the streets, in the chase twend Ole Chasers. It's thrills and spill, John Bis Chase, Gwendell Chases done, durious fun.
Speaker 4: There's only one word to describe it. Did you see this passing b less bands with a young nicole kidman?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was messive at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I went to it at the cinema.
Speaker 2: And I remember recently when I turned forty and my wife got Mister Surprise.
Speaker 4: She got me the.
Speaker 2: Exact she used to track it down, the exact BMX bike. I had no way.
Speaker 5: Do you ride it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 2: A good look when you're grown adult and you're cycling around your suburb on a BMX bike.
Speaker 4: You look like a Will Ferrell character. Still living. I'm not Step Brothers trying to do Bunny Hubs wheel.
Speaker 2: I sold it about a week about a week later, It's just like some things are best left in the past. But anyway, when you go on YouTube now, have a look at BMX bandit's right because as a kid, I thought, God, the girl and Nicole Kidman. I don't even know it's Nicole Kimmen. She was just the girl.
Speaker 4: She's doing all he own stunts.
Speaker 2: You go back now it's clearly an adult in a blonde wig. You know when they didn't worry about close up, so any kind of hint of realism.
Speaker 4: It's just a big dude. Suddenly it cuts to a big dude in a big wig. That's no way that is Nicole Kidman.
Speaker 2: And then also in nineteen eighty three, the first ever Marrio Brothers video game was released.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well worth getting that circlip sounds like Mario's seven Trouble that. It sounds like Patsy's news at the moment, So my.
Speaker 3: Wine, was it really that bad?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that's fine. Ye, it was awful Christian i'connell, Christian O'Connell show, Christian nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 2: My absolute favorite year was seventeen years old, first full time job, first boyfriend, light clubbing every weekend down the Red Parrot in Northbridge, Perth. Good times. That's from Gail Kirby. Good morning, Gail. That's great. The Red Parrot screams nightclub of the eighties. It is there anyone in the world today actually available for business as I.
Speaker 4: Like cold called the Red Parrot.
Speaker 2: All nightclubs had strange names like that in the eighties and nineties, didn't they.
Speaker 4: Christian.
Speaker 2: For me, nineteen eighty three was all about Return of the Jedi. Went to see my dad and big brother. I was just five. It was exciting and terrifying, but most of all was awesome. For weeks after I walked around my hands classed together like Luke Skywalker saying nevertheless, huge Modia. All right, we've got some stories on the line now about nineteen eighty three. If you want to give us a cool morning nine four one four one four three, maybe do the stuntman in BMX Bandits who was badly pretending to be Nicole Kidman Andrea, Good morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning Christian, Good morning Andrew.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the show. What can you tell us about nineteen eighty three? What was it for you?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 7: I spent that was in year nine. I was fourteen, and I spent most of the time writing The Police Forever all over all my books, speaking it. And I loved Stuart Copelin the drama.
Speaker 8: He was just everything.
Speaker 7: My walls were plasted in police photos and I hardly did any work that year. I just thought about boys, music and the police pretty much. It's a big year.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't obviously write The Police Forever on my school books, but I remember we always should do that. Your favorite bands and stuff that used to your school bag we plastered with them.
Speaker 7: Oh definitely, I had forever, you know, together, never to part. I mean you just you were so in love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, teenage called teenage infatuation. My wife told me that she for her was Mark hamil Luke Skywalker.
Speaker 4: She said every night she would kiss his face good night, and he sends up with me. That's sad.
Speaker 2: Sometimes no one gets what they really thought they were when you were tea.
Speaker 6: Have you ever done any sort of Star Wars role plus dress pick.
Speaker 2: It's more Yoda, Now forty seven for me, Jack the Luke Skywalker.
Speaker 4: Andrew, that's a great call. We'll send your prize.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you, all right.
Speaker 4: Take care of mate. Bye ken coome onning, Good morning, prison, come on and can welcome to a show. Nineteen eighty three. What's it for you?
Speaker 8: Nineteen eighty three. I was fifteen years of age of ravent tech doing year ten and the morning paper a round. But the biggest thing that happened that year was the reunion of the classic lineup of Skidels.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, did you managed to get tickets? Go and see that?
Speaker 7: I did.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: Of course this was pre internet day's, pre phone booking. You had to go and queue up, so as an excitement built for this, because this was just getting bigger and bigger. The hooks were everywhere. They were all over the newspapers, TV and radio. The night before that first Melbourne show went on sales says for all. I thought, that's it, I've got to get tickets. I raced off to my local back outlet. I was the first one in the queue of about twenty people, and of course, racing off at fifteen years of age, totally forgot about taking any food or order to scrap the sleeping bag, and off I went.
Speaker 4: What did your parents say about you?
Speaker 2: Listen, Jack, you weren't there the eighties. It was the decade of parental negligence. Seriously, they barely they said hello when you were born, and then when we're going to do what we do, you do what you do?
Speaker 4: Okay, that was it.
Speaker 8: There were different days, but I do believe that mum did a couple of secret drive bys for local pats out there, just to chick.
Speaker 4: I was, okay, oh blessed.
Speaker 2: I don't think my pers would have even done that. Now you'd have like live streaming tracking. I've never drowne up in the sky. They've some fifty liter bottle of water there. Make sure you take a sip every two minutes.
Speaker 8: That's not embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Thanks loud, and tell me what was it like? Then you got your tickets, got the tickets.
Speaker 8: I was in the front row and it was absolutely amazing. I mean, the mighty Skyhooks. Those guys are absolutely incredible. But to see them live and to see that classic lineup back on stage at Festival Hall. They sold out one show, the first show, in record time, faster than even the Featable sold out Testball Hall and the demand was so huge they ended up doing four shows at Festful Hall in Velhena. Was absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: What a great memory for you to have it and tell me this, Ken, I get the feeling. I know the answer, But is that your favorite memory of live music?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, they were just amazing. I mean people who didn't see Skyhooks don't know what they mean.
Speaker 4: And isn't it funny?
Speaker 2: But because obviously nowadays you'd have had you had tons of photos of that and selfies and that, but but you've got no photos of that.
Speaker 8: I've got a few photos. I took the on home. It's one ten camera and Wie.
Speaker 2: Trid with the facts Brownie.
Speaker 1: Christian christ Christian o'connells show podcast.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: The final thing we do when we take you back to a year each week love be doing over the last half an hour or so. Thank you very much at the stories and calls we've got different year from a different decade.
Speaker 4: Next week is you.
Speaker 2: Played this to one second Winners where I play a couple of hits from that year. This week nineteen eighty three, Jack and Pat's taking each other on. Last week we're in the nineties. Jackie boy, you've had a comeback. You're on three, Patsy's still lead on five. Okay, a couple of songs and I'll throw it open to the one second winner, where you can try and win in and guess the song in one second from nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 4: Uh you you both ready ready?
Speaker 3: Yep oh oh, Lionel Richie, all night long.
Speaker 2: Well done, jack jack gets to win for that one bit of assistance there from Patsy and they can't a point each.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, what's this, Patsy?
Speaker 2: You should give this immediately one of the songs of the eighties.
Speaker 3: Oh no, look at the harmony.
Speaker 4: Stay with you, guys, it's beautiful. Listen to this much.
Speaker 2: In the wedding song artists, please title nartists. You know how radio is built.
Speaker 3: Spare ballets us.
Speaker 4: True span do a tribute and this much is true. I would accept that thank.
Speaker 2: You was a school disco that didn't play this in the eighties.
Speaker 4: What a song?
Speaker 2: And good memories last year of ta by Tony calling us, I'm doing cold live on who's calling Christian?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: What's what's the schools? By the way, Patsy is on one and a half, got my half? Yeah? What's this?
Speaker 3: Oh? Come and come a chameleon? Boy George?
Speaker 4: Hello, you're on fire? Patsy still a sponge?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I love George? A funny funny guy. Boy, George is really funny? All right? What's this other? Police?
Speaker 3: Every stick you take the place.
Speaker 2: Every breath you take, win a win a chicken dinner. Gos to Jackie, Boy Jack you would know this.
Speaker 4: Show your wedding, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah? We had a cello version of players by five cork down the aisle.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that at the time.
Speaker 2: Who does in the eighties we didn't Who when you got married a couple of years ago?
Speaker 4: Who didn't know?
Speaker 2: This was a well known if you do a survey, if we worked on the streets right now as ten, what's the creepiest song ever made?
Speaker 4: Every breaking new tea? Are we watching you? What's not all right? One? Final one? Team? Oh?
Speaker 3: What a feeling?
Speaker 4: Ire in Kara he loves this game? Must a live. You've been all week on the show, sleep walking through the rest of it.
Speaker 5: But this.
Speaker 4: It's my genre, man, alight, it's my genre, man, all right? This one is for the dear listener. This is your clip.
Speaker 2: Okay, one second winner, have a guess at this nine four one four one oh four three.
Speaker 4: What's the big hit from nineteen eighty three? This one's for you. Yeah, I'm on, let's get out.
Speaker 3: That's hard, but that's really hard today.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting out for jack doesn't really sound great on the reddit? Does it? Just silence? We went off air then I don't know what I was doing. Then just a little one man played for Jackie Boy. You'll get that.
Speaker 2: Nine four one four one four three up for grabs, probably the best prize we've got at the moment to give away our brand new souvenir edition. Be the envy of your friends. This thing will be worth so much money. Years to come. Your seat on Antique's Road Show, A breakfast show, Fridge magnet, Oh my work, these things are amazing. It's in the it's in the style of an eighties what do you call it?
Speaker 4: Boom box? Gettu boombox?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Christ O'Connell's show podcast, Huge.
Speaker 2: Hit from nineteen eighty three? Is this just one second? We're playing the one second winner? What do you think it is?
Speaker 4: Huge hit? Linda? What do you think it is? Mate?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 7: I think it's ever my hap I Rod Stewart.
Speaker 4: Good song, good guests, but not the right one.
Speaker 2: Linda, have a good day, Johnny boy, Mario's back, Johnny.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Kristin Connell Breakfast Show.
Speaker 4: Are you Johnny? Johnny? What do you reckon? The song is? Mate?
Speaker 8: I reckon this song reading not all bedst burning.
Speaker 4: No, it's not that Johnny. Tough luck. Johnny's gone, everyone, Melissa, good morning?
Speaker 8: Hello, Hello?
Speaker 4: What do you think it is? Melissa?
Speaker 7: I reckon it's Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen.
Speaker 4: I could understand that, but Melissa, it's not the song. Tough luck. Thanks for trying. All right?
Speaker 2: So no right answers so far. So I'm going to add on another half a second. Oh, I reckon. That's yeah, that's easy. Now that's too easy.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: We're asking you what song this is? From nineteen eighty three. We originally only played you this no answers, so we've now extended it with it. You'll get that now, tarn you reckon, you got it?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 7: It's a total equip for how by Bonnie Tyler.
Speaker 2: Well well, dun Charania, welga, tany you just changed your life. You're the first ever winner of one of our show, Fridge Magnets.
Speaker 7: Oh great, the V of.
Speaker 2: Your friends, the MP of your street. Your life as you know it has changed forever. My friend of fridge Magnet is on its way to today.
Speaker 4: Why don't Tarny have a good day?
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you too.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast