Speaker 1: Good day. This is Peter Helliah, Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet the Movie Podcast, where we chat to movie lovers about classic or love, the movies that haven't quite got around a scene until now. And today's guest Dave O'Neil, Why so serious? Can if I tried you? The lab.
Speaker 2: Works on wax off happening right now?
Speaker 3: You Ain't seen nothing?
Speaker 1: Journeyman can sometimes sound like a backhanded compliment, but Dave O'Neil is a comedy journey man. No one does more gigs and travels further than Dave O'Neil for gigs. What can be lost, though, and perhaps this is because of his affable nature and on stage presence, is how sharp and brilliant Dave is. Nobody slays the suburbs like Dave O'Neil. If you're putting together a bill of comics in the suburbs, Dave O'Neil is the safest pair of hands. Dave's tireless work ethic has seen him write two films, take Away starring Vince Colossmo, Steve Curry and Rose Byrne and You and Your Stupid Mate with Nathan Phillips, Anger Sampson and Rachel Hunter. He also starred in two thousand and two Is the Nugget alongside Eric Banner, Steve Curry and the late great Belinda Emmett.
Speaker 3: He was also a bass.
Speaker 1: Player in the early nineteen eighties for Melbourne Bank Captain Coco. Dave is a great bloke to spend time with and has a story for almost every occasion. So let's get stuck in with Dave O'Neill.
Speaker 2: Hi, it's Dave O'Neil, comedian here and look. I love movies. Some of my favorite movies The Blues Brothers.
Speaker 4: This is Jake and Elwood, The Blues Brothers, The Blues Brothers.
Speaker 2: Shit, I love it. I love The Castle, Houn's The Serenity, and I also love Gregory's Girl, the Scottish film from many years ago.
Speaker 1: She's got a.
Speaker 3: Blass here, Oh, take it off, tick it off.
Speaker 2: But you know, up until last night, I'd never seen Shrek.
Speaker 3: Listen, little donkey, take a look at me? What am I really tall?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I'm an ogrel. Doesn't that bother you?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 3: Oh, man, I like you.
Speaker 2: What's your name?
Speaker 1: Trek Shrek? Dave O'Neil, welcome to you. Ain't seen nothing yet. I need to pick you up on one of your favorite films, which was the third film Gregory's Gregory's Girl. I remember seeing that on television and I still remember a line from it. It's a Scottish film, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bill forsythe directed and he also people might know his other famous movie, Local Hero. Did he like a Hero?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: With the Mark Knopfler soundtrack. What's the quote? It's not Caracas has ten guys every girl.
Speaker 1: No, No, there's.
Speaker 2: Something in the air tonight. It's not take it off.
Speaker 1: A little bit of fuss for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of tit, a little bit of We loved it.
Speaker 1: I love to fuss for a little bit of it.
Speaker 2: Maybe some people that don't know. It was a teen movie sitting in Scotland and it was about a guy who loved a girl who played soccer and also had to add extra bonus to someone of my age group. We had the lead singer of Altered Images, Claire Grogan was in it, who was gorgeous. We loved her. But when I lived in a shared house in the eighties, we used to watch it. We did on VA just we used to watch it over and over and we used to quote because there was one guy. Because it was all about boys trying to get a girlfriend. Yeah, and there was one guy. So he kept saying we should go to Caracas. There's ten girls to every gay. Ten girls.
Speaker 1: That was around that magical time when you would discover movies by this because you're on the couch and Chanale and nine happened to be playing Gregory's girl. I did the same movies like Mask. You KNOWLTS move discovered that share that share, isn't it share? Yeah? Share in their exults as Rocky Dennis and Sam Elliott is in that. There's a movie called one eight two that I remember this gavering.
Speaker 2: Is that a gang movie?
Speaker 1: Yes? Talking about graffiti as well. I think he's almost like a Banksy style character. I think.
Speaker 2: See. I remember the movies that I usually love, sci fi movies, like The Amiga Man. You even seen The Amiga Man as Charlton Heston is the Last Man on Earth? No, it has been remade as at Will Smith movie, and also Soil and Green, another Charlton Heston sci fi movie, They're All and Planet of the Apes was the other big one. Yes, I love the original Planet of the Apes. I loved it.
Speaker 3: That bright eyes is remarkable.
Speaker 1: He keeps trying to form wounds. You know what they see human see human? Do you've never seen Shrek? Now? Why? I mean? It can't. Sometimes people will come in and they you know, they have a movie that they hadn't seen, and I'm shocked that they hadn't seen. Like Judith Lucy had never seen Sound of Music and that.
Speaker 2: That shocked me for someone of her age and her sex, a female of around that age was that's a mate because they weren't been huge when she was a kid, and a huge.
Speaker 1: Raise Catholic and Catholicism. You know, she talked a lot about the Catholic Guilton and all that. So I thought I would have thought, and I've known, you know, Jude for for many years. I would have thought, you know, if you would have asked, you know, what's one of the Jude's favorite what's Jud's favorite film? I may guess Sound of Music?
Speaker 2: Did she like it?
Speaker 1: You have to listen to the episode.
Speaker 2: We watched the other night of the Kids, and I said, you said, you watch it up until the Nazis turn up with little kids, and then you turn it off.
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta forget, like you forget that Nazis are involved in that film. Yes, because you're going to think about all the music and all that you know.
Speaker 2: But I looked at my wife when that happened, and I didn't know where it was in the movie. But as soon as she said, what is it, you can't face. Someone asked if my teenager picked it up, but he didn't pick it up at all.
Speaker 1: So, so did you watch Shrek with your kids?
Speaker 2: One of them? With my I watched it on my phone, actually, with my eleven year old.
Speaker 1: It's not how a dreamork intended to get to watch it. You watch it on your phone.
Speaker 2: Because I think about Shrek. It came out in what two thousand and four, sort of two thousands, it's about twenty years old. And I was working at Nova at the time with using Kate, and there was a big, big guy called Ronnie who programmed the music, and he would say to me, Neil, every day, have you seen Shrek yet? He looked like Shrek a bit. He couldn't believe that I hadn't seen Shrek, and I so annoyed me that I never saw. Because you were a comedian, you should see Shrek. I went, I haven't seen Shrek. You've got to see Shrek. And he would walk around with his boat shoes on. Kate used to pick on anybody his boat shoes. He was a Queensland. You go, I can't, and then you would tell everyone you know, Dave hasn't seen Shrek. Kind of annoyed me because I was never a big fan of kids movies, you know what I mean, Because I remember before I had kids, one of my wife's friends took us to see Toy Story two and I just went, here's a good movie. But I would have rather have seen Rambo War, you know, or Terminate or something.
Speaker 1: You're a hard man where I thought.
Speaker 2: But I avoided Shrek, even though I'm a big Mike Myers fan. I loved Austin Powers and I love Wayne's World, so I do. And I like Eddie Murphy too.
Speaker 1: He's pretty much playing fat bastard as as as Shrek.
Speaker 2: But it's his dad. He's dad Scottish.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he has a real affinity with British humor. I wonder if Ronnie you say he was he was he looked like it like Shrek, I wonder. I mean Shrek is universally, I mean, it's a huge kind of franchise music dream Works. Yeah, the music. I think he's playing in Melbourne now, yeah, Lucid, Derek, I think Prince Fiona and it's you know, it became almost a face of dream Works kind of us it in there, you know, there there.
Speaker 2: It was a phenomenon. It was a phenophenomenon. And also it went into folklore. So you say that looks a bit like Shrek. Everyone knows what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: And I wonder if if I think subconsciously I probably had a like men of girth, Yeah, like relate. So maybe Ronnie was gonna like you would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're a fat guy. I'm a fat guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's probably a good point.
Speaker 1: Because consciously I think I related to it on you know, on that on that level.
Speaker 2: But I don't think you were a living by yourself.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I certainly make some you know, some departures from the character.
Speaker 3: Look at that you want to live in a place like that? That would be my home? Oh and it is lovely, just beautiful. You know, you are quite a decorator. It's amazing what you've done with such a modest budget. I like that boulder, that is a naze boulder.
Speaker 1: We're discussing of fair and we just heard a bit of it. Hopefully for legally. I like to use it smash mouth.
Speaker 2: Hey now yeah, I mean you don't play it, I can sing it. You're a rock star, get your game on. And that became famous movie sorry that song, and they played recently at the Fame and People at the Croxton Park Hotel. They did a show their smash Mouth because they still tour and apparently before they came on, all the crowd was singing in the beer adam, hey, now you're a roster. Yeah. And they played that song twice in their show. Yeah, so they did. They did that. There other big one, I'm a Believer, which is also in Shreded, but people forget. They also had a really good song called you might as Well be Walking in the Sun. Oh yeah, that was smash Mouth. Yes, that's but you look up smash Mother. There's been a bit of controversy with that lead singer. He's a bit of a he's a bit of a maverick. He's had a Twitter war with someone I can't remember who it is, but he's a bit of a maverick. But that certainly launched gave them a Renaissance, that band.
Speaker 1: This soundtrack is I think one of the best uses of pop music. Oh in a movie.
Speaker 2: Proclaimers reignited their career too, hallelujah. Oh that's fantas. I'm going to download that version. That's John Cale. Yeah, so I was listening to going it's not you know, Leonard Cohen who wrote the song, And it's also not the other bloke who died in the river.
Speaker 1: Jack Buckley.
Speaker 2: God you're here. So he had a very famous version, didn't he. Katie Lange, my look alike, also had a very famous version. But that's John Cale. So I've got a that's a great version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who is John Cale? John Cale?
Speaker 2: John Carle's from It's the guy from Underground, isn't it? Velvet Underground, Underground, Velvet Underground. Don't quote me on that. He's a famous singer basically, you know Underground from the Velvet Underground, I believe. And also with the Proclaimers, I mean I saw them when they toured in the eighties and this regnighted their career, so of course they have the good song.
Speaker 1: I will walk to yes, because they're walking off to the for the mission, the mission, the rescue princess for you owner, Oh.
Speaker 2: Can let me get the strip?
Speaker 3: You're gonna go fight a dragon and rescue a princess, just so far quite to give you back a swamp which you only don't have. Of course you feel it full of freaks in the first Prince? Is that about rank?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Maybe there's a good reason donkeys shouldn't talk.
Speaker 2: Do you have a tissue or something? Because I'm making a mess. Just the word parfee made me start sla.
Speaker 1: Did you like it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I liked it. My eleven year old said there was too much romance because when you look at it, he's basically a eleven year old boy boy. Yeah, my daughter, who's thirteen, she would have loved it. I reckon, but she was a busy.
Speaker 1: But there's only so many people you can cram around a phone.
Speaker 2: I know it's terrible, isn't it? And I thought it was really good. It's a bit slow, though, which compared to movies these days. You see, Well, have you seen an animated film these days?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Watched Hotel Transylvania the other day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're quite quick.
Speaker 2: Those movies. Whereas Shrek's got a favorit of pathos to it which I really like.
Speaker 1: There is there is some pathos. Absolutely, it's got a big heart, Shrek. It's what I like about it is Shrek. It's like and this is going back to the all Star song, and why I think that's such a perfect way. It's obviously contrasting. He's saying he's an all star, but he's actually this, you know, he's he's an ogre living in a swamp. But that's all he wants, and that's and that's he feels like an all star. He's as happy as he's ever going to be. And most protagonists, and we'll get onto the fact that you've written movies as well, but most protagonists they want something, Yeah, they want something. They want their life to be better, and or they think what they want is going to make their life better. Shrek doesn't actually want that happy. He wants everything to stay the same. Yeah, which is an interesting place to start, and then obviously it gets thrust upon him. Yes, all right, Oger, I'll make you a deal.
Speaker 3: Go on this quest for me, and I'll give you your swamp back exactly the way it.
Speaker 1: Was down to the last slime covered toadstool and the squatters as good as gone.
Speaker 2: You know, spoiler all that though, I kept looking at Princess Fiona because I'd seen her obviously as an ogre. Yeah where so I knew that was going to happen, so I couldn't imagine what it'd be like seeing without knowing that would have been a big surprise.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I remember watching O. I saw it in the cinema because unlike you, I didn't need to go see Rambo to you know, to reinforce my masculine of it. I was comfortable.
Speaker 2: Have you seen a child's feel like?
Speaker 1: I remember seeing Toy Story in the cinema, which was like the first one, you know, this one's very good. This was dream where it's going. We need to get in the game here because you know, Disney or Pixar are doing this in Disney, you know, doing their movies, and it's a bit of an anti Disney movie.
Speaker 2: Shrek Shrek. Yeah, any money that he's walking around Disneyland as we speak, there'd be a Shrek and a Princess Fiona. Surely if they they don't den.
Speaker 1: No, Disney don't know this. So this is a very this is a very anti Disney because the guy left, Yes, Kamerberg and Eisner had a big blue at Disney, and then Katzenberg went off and DreamWorks and this is like even stuff like you know, I mean even like this using pop music and the soundtrack. It's very kind of like you know, Disney is all about beautiful, lush kind of score rosers. Yeah, and they and their own own music, and this is very much you know, pop music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's he's even talked that Lord Farquhar is based on Aer.
Speaker 2: He was funny. I like, Lord Farquhar, you're a monster.
Speaker 1: I'm not a monster.
Speaker 4: Here you are you and the rest of that fairy tale crash poisoning my perfect world.
Speaker 2: I'll tell me where are the others? I liked Eddie Murphy too, as a donkey, very funny.
Speaker 1: It's his best performance.
Speaker 3: Schreck what it's a compliment.
Speaker 2: Better out than in. I always say, there's.
Speaker 3: No way to be here in front of a princess.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 3: She's as nasty as you are.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 1: It's truly. Have you ever done voice over work?
Speaker 2: Good question? Oh, I mean I've done a lot. Not for cartoons, no, no, only I was the voice of Col's Express for four years. Get down at Cole's Express. Milk at two dollars. Yeah, I did that for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also I was the voice of Super. They say, I've got a very good normal voice. You do have a very normal, normal sounding voice. Yeah, yeah, so I've done Yeah, I was a voice of Super. I was the voice of Bell Canton, New South Wales. I've got all the big ones. But I would love to do a cartoon. My audition for The Thongs to play the dad in the Thongs, which was an Australian cartoon where Mark Mitchell got the role that I was.
Speaker 1: You're right with a dad role.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I would love to do it. But but you know, there's a limited opportunity I think in Australia for cartoon.
Speaker 1: Well occasionally what they do, I've done it once that I can remember, for Stalks, the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh you did Dad? Yeah, great, like they won an Australian Yes.
Speaker 1: They said, what they often do is they have some a handful of roles that they are happy to offer to local people in various markets. Okay, right, so I wasn't in the studio of Jennifer Aniston and whoever else was in that movie, and they said these are the ones you can pick so they show you the movie. You know, they had about six characters I could pick, and I probably I picked the coyotes, thinking I was going to be like the ones that actually kind of talk, but they they're not the ones that are often because they were like you know, Jordan Peel and you know, and so they were going to recast that, so I but it was actually the mob of cote. So I like the mob of coyotes or wolves whatever they were. And but even doing that it was tricky.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it'd be hard, really hard.
Speaker 1: So whenever you know, I see really good voice work, like Eddie Murphy, it's it's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredible, Yeah, really good. To bring it to life like that is really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know the Shrek story, that was interesting because it was a very unknown book and these kids, this executive's kids used to read it at night. They used to borrow from the library. They didn't even own it. And I saw an interview with these kids once you see, I'm an expert on Shrek. They I had never seen until last night, and they kept telling their dad were reading this really funny book, and the dad bought the rights and then yeah, I got produced it's a pretty interesting story that these kids told their dad about it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's how American Idol got made because Elizabeth Murdoch had been in the UK and said, there's this cool show called pop idol whether they call it over there, Yeah, and he ended up making American Idol. So listen to your kids. What did you know of Shrek? Like, what were the things that you What do you know about being in the ether? Well?
Speaker 2: No, I knew it was about an ugly guy ogre and I knew. I knew that Mike Marnin said the voice and was Eddie Murthy as a donkey, and there was a princess involved. That's all I knew about it. Yeah, because I was I didn't know. One of the things. One of the things that my son like was all the different fairy tale characters in it, yeah, which is something you do see in other animated movies. You know, there's another one that we will what's it called Not Over the Hedge, High Jinks or something like that, which has got a lot of the young fairy tale characters reappearing because hoodwink, that's it because they must be able to copyright. So anyone could put the three blind mice. Yeah, because Barney myself going, who's that? That's a three blind mics. Oh, that's Pinocchio, you know. And so that was fun. That was a really good I didn't know that that was funny.
Speaker 3: What have you got Wood, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not a puppet, I'm a real boys.
Speaker 2: The Possessed tie take it away. I liked how Farkwhi's Kingdom was like really sterile, and yes, no one was having fun, and I liked that sort of social message to it.
Speaker 1: But that was also kind of a bit of a dig. He set up like a disney Land. Yeah, but nobody's there. There's another little little dick from from DreamWorks and you know, Jeffrey Katzenberg probably specifically. But this came back to Eddie Murphy and casting. You got Cameron Dans as Princess Fiona, you got Mike Myers playing Shrek, but originally it was going to be Chris Farley.
Speaker 2: Oh and did he die?
Speaker 1: He died, which made him unavailable.
Speaker 2: Because he looked a bit like he looks at me, like, yeah, Shrek.
Speaker 1: And now I was watching it knowing this because I watched it again this week too, you know, because you're committed to the podcast. I'm committed to this podcast the things I do.
Speaker 2: Hope you didn't watch it on your phone, like I know, I watched.
Speaker 1: On a big screen TV. That's how the filmmakers like it. Well, they prefer to watch it in the cinema. But but I've seen it in the cinema. I was really imagine Crish Farley and I couldn't because I mean, it's become so iconic a Scottish accent.
Speaker 2: Well, they didn't write as a Scottish accent. I had an interview with Mike Myers and he said he just turned up and said, I'm going to do it a Scottish Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I think even he tried it as a Canadian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't. Yeah, because it does seem to be said in England. It seems to me to be that all the soldiers and stuff are English, yes, and the villagers are English.
Speaker 1: Farquhar is English, and mean you think Castle's a kind of.
Speaker 2: Robin Hood's in there, but Robin Wood appears to be French or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's an interesting.
Speaker 2: Choice, asterable shitty for I am your savior and I am just killing you from this green.
Speaker 3: Beast.
Speaker 1: We actually have on a Coo Cup on YouTube Chris Filey's audition. Uh, this is Chris Filey auditioning, for sure.
Speaker 3: It's nothing like a fire and a noble romantic mission to warm the cockles of your heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like my cockles room temperature, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Hey, if you're not doing this for cockle warman, why are you doing it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Simple fart Watt gets his princess.
Speaker 3: I get what I want, which is now, come on, what do you want? I don't have time to set it to music. Oh, this is another one of those onion things. No, this is one of those drop it and leave me alone things. Well, why don't you want to talk about it?
Speaker 2: Why do you want to talk about it?
Speaker 3: Why you answering the question with a question?
Speaker 2: Why are you asking questions? I don't want to answer?
Speaker 3: Why are you blocking?
Speaker 2: I'm not blocking?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Why do you have problems expressing your wants?
Speaker 2: I don't. I want you to shut up? So it's pretty good. Thought, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good. It's funny.
Speaker 2: You could watch that.
Speaker 1: You kind of go, I can't imagine anyone else doing it, and then you listen, You're gonna go, Okay, I can't I still think if Chris Farley and Mike Myers were down to the last two and I was I was casting it, I think I would still go Mike my I think the Scottish accent. I think the Scottish accent with a like the African American sas that Eddie brings to it is a really fun combination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting. I love Chris Farley.
Speaker 1: And then when Chris Farley was attached, Princess Jana was supposed to be played by Janine Garoffalo.
Speaker 2: Oh great, which is a.
Speaker 1: Completely different way of thinking. Cameron Diaz was very good, though she was, but I reckon it's also that kind of Jeanne Gruffalo as a princess is also that anti Disney kind of feeling.
Speaker 2: Especially back then. She's quite alternative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and quite kind of a dead pan. He said that you thought the film moves quite slowly, but the storytelling is I think is incredible.
Speaker 2: Storytelling is pretty good. Actually, Barney my Son made an observation that the thing with the dragon didn't last very long. He wanted to fight with the dragon to go longer. But I reckon that was perfect to get in get because who wants to see all that. You know, I prefer the story being told, so I actually thought the storytelling was very simple, quite simple, but good.
Speaker 1: Everything's really clear. And the good thing about when there's a movie about a mission, you know you can actually just state what he yeah, what the movie's about.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I saw Jimunji whatever the latest one is. And it's not dissimilar in that they go on a mission, but there's distractions along the way, and so there's a whole horn of monkeys or baboons. Okay, right, we got over that, And like this, they check in robin Hood. Why they checking robin Hood. I suppose it's like just to show her strength in doing kung fu on robin Hood. But also it's a fun distraction because of robin Hood. Even though it's not a musical, he sings a song like Robin Hood sings a song Jaunty Little, which was quite good.
Speaker 3: I thought, still from the Rich and Kieth to the Navy. But I'm not pretty.
Speaker 1: I rischd you pretty Dove Sills, madam.
Speaker 2: I don't like kids movies where they sing musical like fro Again. I haven't seen Frozen Frozen, how.
Speaker 1: Do you have? Who would have been what maybe eight when it came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: But she Frozen. I've seen Frozen three boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's that's funny, isn't it. Yeah, she's I mean they do talk about it. She may have seen it since at school or something like that, because you know, when it gets the end of the year, they're always banging on videos in the hall of the kids. And I do want to see Frozen out because I'm I'm a big fan of Olive. Who's the guy who's Olive?
Speaker 1: Just Dad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's in that Avenue five which I've been watching the new science fiction.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that are funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like And he's very funny and he's good. I didn't know who he was. I looked him up and I said, he's O the who again. I know he's funny in Frozen's he must be the comedy relief is he in? Yes, Frozen?
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, he's almost a donkey Frozen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very funny, that guy.
Speaker 1: He's great. He was also in a series which only lasted sadly, one series with Billy Crystal, but they played themselves really dried. They were paired together to do a sketch comedy show behind the scenes. It's actually it's really fun. I was disappointed only got one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't seen that.
Speaker 1: I forget the name of it, but it'll be easy, easy to find.
Speaker 2: I don't really like movies where they start singing.
Speaker 1: But couldn't you have gotten frozen this wack that then walked their way? You could have done that. But it's like, no, what you watchn't take away again?
Speaker 2: Take Away mine.
Speaker 1: I made a film I Love You Too, and you made a takeaway and you and YouTube and mate and I was in the Nugget and you're in the I didn't write, but a lot of people remember The Nugget. Yes, Nuggat was a great one for eg Banner, Stephen Curry and Stephen Curry playing.
Speaker 2: Three council workers.
Speaker 1: Wookie. What was Curry's name?
Speaker 2: He was Wookie? Ye I was. I always forget my name, but people come up to the street and say it to you, and what are you talking about? Oh, I can't believe it's what is my sue?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just forget. And I also people come from quote lines from like I don't know what the finger of God. I'm like who's this freak And they're like, oh, that's from the Narget right, especially in the country because it's about three country men and it's set in Mudgie where we filmed it. And you said, well, people I find if you go to Mildura or Wagga, I love it. Because you still love it.
Speaker 1: You happened had the premiere in Mudget, didn't you.
Speaker 2: That's where the guy driving has said, people in Mudgie are gonna love this movie. I don't know about people in Dubbo. I don't know how. And he was right, like a lot of the move those movies. I had great expectations for it, but didn't do as well as what they thought.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember seeing In fact, I think the Nuggets.
Speaker 2: Did well on DVD. Yeah, the DVD's on standard moment.
Speaker 1: Back then it would have been even a bigger market than it is now. I know. I love you too. We did. We did reason me well at the box office domestically.
Speaker 2: So, but then we had taken five or six million.
Speaker 1: Or some which there wasn't quite that much as like three.
Speaker 2: The Nugget was about two or three Yeah, nothing.
Speaker 1: Which is it's almost that mid level of success in a while to put it in context.
Speaker 2: The castle was ten eleven million, boy eleven million dollars, as Nick will tell you, but the dish was like twenty or something like that.
Speaker 1: Red Dog was close to thirty as well.
Speaker 2: So you like, a girl's done really well, which is.
Speaker 1: Really well, really well. I love the square l edgend of boys and that, like, yeah, it took like hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was, so it was It's such a tough thing if you can, to be honest, if you can get over the millionairee, if you know, you've done it right, and you probably get to make another film and then you know to get the three. But we did really well as well on and this is you know, years after the Nuggets, this is like twenty ten, we did a really we had a really good DVD kind of life as well, which is actually it was more significant when I saw the figures and the numbers than I thought. But so because the Nugget was also Blinda Rammett, the wonderful Late Blinda Rammett. It was awesome and directed by Bill Bannett.
Speaker 2: Who Billnett Kissed.
Speaker 1: Me Kill Me, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. It was a great film, Yes, fantastic film and Eric Banner. So just before he went off and became.
Speaker 2: He'd already done he'd already done Chopper. Yes, he'd already done black Hawk down right. But while we were on the set of The Nugget he got off of The Hulk because he came out of his went I'm betting off, I'm going to be the Hulk the Hulk, like, what's going on? He hadn't mentioned anything about it. So yeah, he went off and did The Hulk, and so, yeah, he just wanted to do this. He wanted to do an Australian He only had very little kids at that stage. I had no kids and he had very little children. So he wanted to do a movie in Australia. They're going really well with Bill and say, he's just he wanted to do a movie that his kids could see, basically, which is yes. So yeah, it was good fun doing then. It was great fun being up a mudgy filming. We had a great We had a great time, a great time.
Speaker 1: And you also worked with roseburn inway.
Speaker 2: Take away, Yeah, I don't think she mentions that on a CV anymore. I I have funny as this though, So takeaway for people that I know. It's about two fish and chip shops that compete against each other, because occasionally you do still see it. You see chicken shops next door to and one was run by Stephen Curry, one was wrung by Vince Colossimo. And then a Burgies opens up, which like a McDonald's franchise, and they have to compete.
Speaker 1: Well, wasn't a Donald's.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. And so and I played the butcher, which was just a role we wrote because when we got to when we found the location, there was a butcher in between these two shops, and so the director's like, we should, you should, We'll put in a butcher character, just you know. I go about four lines. And anyway, the butcher was his great old Italian guy and him and his son just works in Alphington and which is a northern subeers of Melbourne, in this classic strip shop. And anyway, the butcher was really nice and he got to know and Rosebyn. She was very friendly with all the shopkeepers and stuff. And anyway, I went to the butcher's retirement party the other day because I live around there. And the guy goes, you gotta come and speak at Al's what's his name the butcher's retirement party at the bowling Club. And so I went and told the story about you know, and and his son goes, oh, yeah, Roseburn dropped in the other day. Yeah, she turned up with her husband, Bobby what's his name, because she's married to Bobby. Yeah, yeah, from absolutely he's a from Man's a man. Yeah, And I'm like, you're kidding me. So they've got into Melbourne and she's gone, let's go visit the set of Takeaway and see the Butcher. Well she didn't drop in or call me, So how funn is that?
Speaker 1: Well? We that is the Rose. Rose is brilliant and I around when we made I Love You Too. She was going out with Brendan cow who was the lead. So Brendan kept on saying to me, you have a part, like a part of Rose like she wants to you know, she was getting pretty big at this stage.
Speaker 2: And well she did two hands and yeah, and that was she made.
Speaker 1: She's making damages, you know. I don't know why she did close.
Speaker 2: I don't know why she didn't take Away. She just had a Takeaways.
Speaker 1: I want to get back to Takeaway. Takeaway is a funny film.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a big floor in it. Though in take Away the end, the ending is a f so for people that don't know. At the end there's a tow truck driver character and he who the Burgie's away on the back of his truck. Now, when me and Marco Tool, the other writer wrote it, we envisioned that it would be a quick thing where he would just rip it down and tow it down the street. And I remember Eric Banner reading it because he was going to through the Vince Colossimo role. But then he became very famous and said no thanks.
Speaker 1: And implausibility of.
Speaker 2: You can't how can you do this ending? You can't do the ending? I went, I will be right, and then when I saw how they did it, I just went on no, because I remember who was Jim Shenbry wrote in the you know, I don't know we take notice of critics, but went they're right. He said, this is one of the funniest Australian film in years, except for the ending, which is true. The ending is terrible.
Speaker 1: I think I remember going going, oh, okay, that's yeah. I was really wanted to like and I did. I wasn't you like that?
Speaker 2: Until the last half an hour, like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, to be honest, the last you know, and you know, it's been once. I've watched it. I probably did send it twice.
Speaker 2: Watch it on your phone. I reckon it was.
Speaker 1: We actually made it to be watched on fines.
Speaker 2: For twenty years, but yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: That was the only up until that point. It's a really it's a really funny film. But yeah, so I kind of I thought Brendan was kind of joking. I thought Rose is not going to come and do it, you know, a cameo, but he kept on asking. I thought, okay, well so you're serious, and she goes, yeah, Rose came to set one day. She were hanging out, you know. She goes, he got a roll for me or not? And I was like, are you serious, like and she says, yeah, I like really wondering, I really want you, you know. So she played. We gave her a role that was vansta Hosky, who's now getting nominated all the time for a Handmaid's Tale.
Speaker 2: She's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's brilliant. Yeah, she's great. And Peter Dinklind was in as well. That was the last one he did before Game of Thrones. And so Rose is in the film. She in the back of a cab. We kind of dressed her up kind of anime, kind of in this anime, but we had to kind of let an actress kind of go to kind.
Speaker 2: Of been replaced by Yeah, we made it roll a bit bigger.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't like a you know, huge role, but and Rose kind of made it. She's just like swearing her little heart out in the back seat and little Ron Jacobson's in the front seat coppying it all. But she's an absolute delight. And around that time, she was just starting maybe to get in the comedy or wanted to get into the comedy. And she'd made I think a film with Judd Apatao, her first one that she made. I forget it was maybe it was Getting to the Greek or maybe it was something in before that. Yeah, And I was lucky enough to have dinner with Judd Apatao.
Speaker 2: Are you talking to the foot, didn't you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, the paper, But I had dinner with him. I think we've rove and we're kind with chatting about Rose, and he just was saying how funny she was, and I was chatting to the Brendan and so Judd was saying how funny, like how hilarious Rosen because it hadn't come out yet, and and Rose was actually in the cardign she was in the car. She was really she was excited to hear you know that, you know how funny Judd thought she was, and then she made like.
Speaker 2: Hilario fantastic.
Speaker 1: It's almost weird to think that she started. She started almost like in these like little often like grim little dramas. Two Hands, Yeah, I mean two Hands is an absolutely classic. So take Away. People should watch Takeaway and you know, I don't have to.
Speaker 2: Imagine a different ending and and tweet me or send me, but what you do.
Speaker 1: People should come up with an alternative ending to take Away. Pitch your alternative endings. I'm going to set up an email for the show.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because you don't see many Australian comedies that must these days, because much back in when we made them, it was easy to get money for this. It was still a very hard process, but there was The Macquarie Bank funded a lot of films. They funded a lot of those films back then.
Speaker 1: I've been told that the films there after now film that kind of play to older audiences.
Speaker 2: I'll write like a girl.
Speaker 1: Yes, the story, it's strange storytelling, you know, but play a bit old sapphires. Yeah wrong, let's show off the country a little bit. Or they'll tell a well known Australian story. They're not necessarily have the genre films, but.
Speaker 2: When you're seeing Australian comedy, I still love it. I still you know. That's why I said The Other Castle is one of my favorite movies. One of my other favorite movies when I was a teenager was The Adventures of Bas Mackenzie, which is Barry Crockert. Barry Humphries wrote it, and it's about this. Barry Crocker plays is Ossie Bogan. It was a Bogan before Bogan's were even a thing. Going to London where he meets the Queen and you know, it's a farce. It's very funny though urinates on a TV set. He gets asked to go on a talk show and it's very funny movie.
Speaker 1: I always I think I reviewed that for they must have re released it and I reviewed it for a live many years ago, and it's like and I've never watched it, so it was it was.
Speaker 2: It's from the seventies seventies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you mentioned also Blues Brothers as one of the brothers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the Brutes. I remember I saw Blues Brothers of the movies when it came out because I was in high school. And then a guy got a it won't even been a beta copy. He had a very early video record, and we will go around to his house and watch it over and over. And now with my kids, I've got teenagers and eleven year old they love it. They love the Blues Brothers. It's still funny. Yeah, it's still funny. It's got good music, there's good dancing, and there's good car crashes in car chases.
Speaker 1: There's a great book that I'm just a fish reading called Wild and Crazy Guys.
Speaker 2: I love that book.
Speaker 1: I read they read it. Yeah, and that basically tracks that period of America. Murphy Chase. You know a lot of I said in Live guys who became superstars, and that gets it. That gets a good mob.
Speaker 2: People still still quote the Blues Brothers. You're still you know, this place has got everything. Yeah, that's the Blues Brothers. Orange orange web, orange web.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an orange web, orange web, orange web three orange webs.
Speaker 2: Had other more as few ones like you know, I fucking hate Illinois Nazis.
Speaker 1: I must say. Bluesbrothers has come up a couple of times. I chat the people about it.
Speaker 2: You blasphem me. You know I was it?
Speaker 1: Never? It was never a film on my absolute favorites. For some reason, I think I saw because I think I saw it in bits. I think I saw bits and pieces of it.
Speaker 2: And it's also an age thing too, I reckon when films are when you're absolutely your absolute peak of being influenced, when you're at senior high school in first years of union work or whatever. It's that kind of period. Like there was also Revenge of the Nerds came out in like eighty four eighty I love that eighty four eighty five.
Speaker 1: I remember Mate telling me he wanted to go down to the Greensboro Bolk Store to rent Revenge of the Nerds, this new movie. And I didn't even know what there were nerds meant, I thought it was a horror film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, nerds weren't a thing. Because my son going to me, were you a nerd of high school? I said, it wasn't a thing. There weren't nerds. There but they weren't called nerds. Yeah, there was not. It was until that movie came out, especially in Australia. Nerds were not a thing. They weren't a group of people really well, I mean there's there was still like a computer club at school, so they were nerves, but they didn't call themselves nerds.
Speaker 1: Who's your favorite and character and inveng In probably Booger.
Speaker 2: And from the Lambda Mood Team, Dudley Dawson, Bogger Bogger. I loved Animal Houses, right, yeah, all those movies from from back then.
Speaker 1: They kind of kicked off the whole National Lampoons thing, didn't, But.
Speaker 2: You watch some of them now. Like so I'm always looking for movies to watch with the kids, Like I love grandhog Day, which is I'm sure people mentioned that, but you watch it now. It's a little bit dodgy in the me too generation.
Speaker 1: It's there are so many it's.
Speaker 2: Very very dodgy. It's like see the Blues Brothers is the Bluesmo has got no sort of sleaziness or sexual sort of stuff, whereas Grand Old Day is all about when he finally sleeps with Annie McDowell, everything comes good. This is him trying to win her over for the whole movie.
Speaker 1: Do you find yourself watching movies now and sometimes that leaps out at you. Sometimes your mind dis goes there about the say let's got it sexual politics now, and then me too, and kind of going, oh, wow, that that I've never thought about. There's even a moment I was watching Heat because Dave Thornton hasn't seen Heat, so he hasn't seen Heat. One of the greatest crime movies of all time. This is a part where Amy Brennerman's character Edie is trying to get away from de Niro and he kind of like, you know, he's basically chasing her and basically you know, she's kind of crawling through the reads and and he kind of like grabs her and he kind of like holds it, you know, and that we've seen that scene in many movies, and she eventually coccumbs and she's you know, kind of stays with them, And yeah, it does go to a point where in a scene or two later where DeNiro is saying to her, you know, you can say or you can go, and it's your choice. So that kind of helps direct it. But that kind of scene the often see movies where where men basically in prison. Oh yeah, a woman.
Speaker 2: But we talk about Gregory's Girl. I mean, how DoD you with that?
Speaker 1: I don't think they're making making Gregory's Girl at the time. Soon there's a scene where there'll be a lot more fuss. I have a little bit of ti.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a scene where they all go, the boys and the teenage boys go and sit on this hill with pinoculars and look at a nurse's quarter and and there's a woman with a bra on and he's and they're just going to take it off. Take it off, take it off, take it off.
Speaker 1: She's got a brassier.
Speaker 3: Oh, take it off, take it off.
Speaker 1: Transmit teller to cheek off.
Speaker 2: Her brak off your brazier.
Speaker 4: Concentrate your bust and concentrate, mate, And they all leave, and eventually she takes it off and her underpants as well, and they get very excited.
Speaker 2: But imagine that these days, there's no way, No, they're like perverts.
Speaker 1: I know, And you know that might anger some people, but I think you know, if we all disvolve, you won't know.
Speaker 2: There'll be other made a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Movies can do, mate. It's been a pleasure to sit down and chat movies with you.
Speaker 2: Been great fun. I love it, you know, I love movies. I love The last movie I saw too was Little Women.
Speaker 1: I've been in the seat.
Speaker 2: That's great. Well, I've got a teenage daughter who absolutely loved it. But it is. It is a great remake. It's fantastic.
Speaker 1: I love Greta. Ladybird was one of the best films of that year.
Speaker 2: Again, haven't seen it, but I've check out Lady Bird. I'm gonna watch it on my phone.
Speaker 1: Now, can you start watching movies on your phone? I can handle watching a scene from a movie on a phone.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, yeah, I should stop. Look, my TV is quite small too. I tweeted the photo the other day because people were harassing Hugy about the size of his TV. And my TV is quite small too.
Speaker 1: She's got a small TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got well, in comparison to the wall that it was hanging off, it was quite small. Yeah, but I've got a smaller one. I reckon, but you get used to it. It's okay. It cuts out the left bit of the screen.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I have watched movies on my phone for work sometimes, I said you were linked to watch a movie, and I that's just the way the link, that is what you can do. The link is not working on the TV, so I watch You're a busy man, Forgiven, You're forgiven. Thank you so much for coming in and there would you write another movie? Well?
Speaker 2: Have you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I get ideas for them, but the way we write. We also wrote You and Your Stupor Mate, which also came out, and it was easy back then because we had a producer director guy who just did it, did all that grunt work and we just had to write them and we got paid, so it was easy. Whereas to actually sit down and write another one, Yeah, I don't know. I'd love to do it, but it's it's just a hard thing to do, don't you reckon? You did one, and did you ever? You must have thought about a second one.
Speaker 1: I've thought about. The thing I think about that the most is you need a film that has a real hook, like I think I love you too, and I'm really proud of it, and I get lots of lovely feedback still from it and about it. But I think the thing stopping it from a village had really high hopes for it, you know, becoming a bigger thing. Was It just didn't have that big hook really, besides the fact that it's an austrained rong com we don't make these at all.
Speaker 2: But it's not about the girl, the first girl to win the Cup, no, you know what I mean, which is a great hook for a right like a girl.
Speaker 1: Absolutely everyone wants to see that story. Well, I remember. I think it was the Christmas after that Melbourne Cup when Michelle Paine became the first woman ever to win the Melbourne Cup. My dad and I were discussing and my family were discussing, you know, they got to do it as a movie and like what we would focus on and what we you know, you know, and we kind of had different ideas of what you would actually focus on. But as we're discussing, I thought, I wonder who's going to get the right? Yeah, Rachel Grif probably a week later. I had the rights for the week earlier. Excellent mate, Thank you so much. Go catch Davanil whenever you around get a chance of the Fairfield Funhouse. Yes in that area. Good to see comedy on the North side, North side of Melbourne. That's right, fantastic, Thanks Dave. Thanks there it is another episode of your Ain't Seeing Nothing Yet in the can thanks to Dave O'Neil. I love hanging out with Dave. He's such awesome company. And yeah, if you can think of another possible ending for takeaway, email us at Yasney podcast at gmail dot com. Yasney is in. You ain't seen nothing yet? Let us know how would you have liked to have seen the movie? And even if you haven't seen it, you heard us talk about it. What would you have done there? And also, have you seen any famous stars in your local fish and chip shoppers as Rose Byrne been to your local fishing chips? Maybe maybe somebody else. Maybe you've seen Clint Eastwood your local Lappocata or Goldie Horn maybe you spotted her at Olie's trolleys when she was here for the Overboard junket. I don't know, but let us know at Yasney podcast at gmail dot com. Want to thank a few people who help put this show together. My podcast manager Derek Meers film Castaway Studios dot com dot au. He will take care of all your production needs for our podcasts. Lots of packages, great and small, and a great space to record your podcast Derek will take care of you. Tom and Jimmy at Circus Tresounds dot com or your boutique production needs as far as scores go for film, TV, ads, podcasts as well, they will take care of you. They're great guys. Also, we would like you to like our show on Socials, follow us, subscribe to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet or the information they are in the show notes and this tell people about it. We loving doing this podcast and we love the response thus far. Danneview dot com dot Au. Thanks guys for jumping on board your own absolute absolute champions nobody beat stands. Christ great to have you on board so I can make sure that everyone gets taken care of and paid who are involved, not only behind the scenes, but also our guests who come on because artists at the moment have not been taken care of, so thanks for that. I also want to thank Matt Curry, who actually stitched this episode together. Thanks Matt, You're an absolute champ. Next week on the show, former Defense Minister Christopher Pine, or shall I say Christopher Pine has never seen a clockwork orange. It is a fascinating discussion that is next episode on You Ain't See Nothing Yet and so we leave all Pete save fan sult, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name