Speaker 1: Good a Peter Helly here Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet? A movie podcast where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite gotten around to watching until now. And today's guest comedian, actor podcaster Adam Richard.
Speaker 2: The first rule of fake Club is you do not talk about fake club.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It was you afraid of you broke my heart. I admire your luck, mister Bond.
Speaker 1: James Bond, have an anything right now?
Speaker 3: You don't see nothing here.
Speaker 1: When I think of Adam Richard, I get a little bit giddy, mainly because I've known Adam for nearly twenty five years. He was one of the first people I met on the comedy scene when I was trying to break in to this industry, and we hung out a lot. We actually did appearances on The Loft Live together. But it was a couple of shows called Shame and its sequel, Shame the College Years, that I did with Adam Richard.
Speaker 4: And the wonderful Kim Hope.
Speaker 1: Then for the sequel Shame the College Yes, were joined by Rove McManus, and it was just it reminds me of a certain time in my career when the possibility seemed endless, and Adam was so much fun to work with. His giggle alone brings a smile to my face. Adam has had an amazing career. He was an early adopter of the podcast with the Talking Puffy with the wonderful Scott Brennan. He has a new podcast or more recent podcast called Adam Adam Richard has a theory where he sprinks various Doctor Who theories. He also was a panel member on Hohobians with Grove McManus.
Speaker 4: He writes for Hard Quiz.
Speaker 1: He was a team captain on The Revised Fixed and specs with Josh Earl and Ala Hooper. He also I want to play special attention to this. He wrote and acted in a fantastic and criminally underrated or maybe underseen ABC comedy series called Outland. If you get a chance to see Outland, I'm not sure if it's still on abciview, but just out of a just search in your various search engines and trackdown Outland. It's a comedy series about science fiction kind of geeks for one.
Speaker 4: Of a better term. They're all kind of outcasts.
Speaker 1: I think they're all gay, and it's just it's it's so fun and it's got a big heart, and I'm a little bit surprised that hadn't gone on and become a much bigger hit.
Speaker 4: But it's it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Adam is a dazzling and intoxicating mix of sass and a serbic wit, and personally, Adam is so much fun to be around. He's intelligent and highly perceptive and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 5: Hi, this is the allegedly fabulous I'm Richard and my three favorite films are Silence of the Lambs, I.
Speaker 6: Ate his lever with some father beans and a nice KNDI.
Speaker 3: Beauty and the Beast, the cartoon.
Speaker 7: Tale As Old as Time, Song As Old as.
Speaker 5: Rhyme, and the two thousand and nine version of Star Trek directed.
Speaker 2: By J j Awams and Dare You to Do Better?
Speaker 5: But up until today, I had never seen the Maltese Falcon.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, I used to think that Maltese Falcon was a spaceship owned by Hans Solo's cousin from Malta. I wasn't aware that, in fact, represented the birth of two film icons. Director John Houston's directorial debut and the movie that made an icon out of its leading man, Humphrey Bogart, based on the novel by Dashiel Hammett. This was a third attempt to bring this story to the silver screen and clearly the most successful. Bogie plays the ambiguous detective Samuel Spade, whose partner, the over the top, cartoonishly sleezy Miles Archer, is gunned down after being paid a trailer man by compulsive liar and Femfertale bridget O'shannessy played by Mary Astor. The fact that sam Spay gives zero Fox that his partner was murdered, on top of the correct suspicion that he is in fact knocking off Archer's missus, puts him on the top of the list of suspects the police are looking into. Add to this a bunch of slippery and untrustworthy crims who are on the search for one of cinema's greatest mcguffin's, the titular Maltese Falcon, credited for bringing Field, credited for ushering in the film noir movement. The Maltese Falcon was nominated for three Academy Awards. Opening the world the femfertals world weary, fast talking anti heroes for doras Dames. Smoking gun reveals shadows and darkness, both on the inside of the characters and on the outside world. Adam Richard, how many unfilled cigarettes do you think we can get through during this chat?
Speaker 3: Listen to me. I've had fourteen already.
Speaker 1: It's early.
Speaker 3: That's just asthma.
Speaker 5: I wish, I wish i'd been smoking up a storm.
Speaker 1: So good, so good to chat to you, husky voice or not. And thank you for coming on. I've been looking forward to having you on for a long time. You were one of these guests who it wasn't necessarily the easiest one to find a movie that you hadn't seen.
Speaker 3: You are consume a lot of movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so some people just know I say what haven't you seen? And they know the back of their head there's a movie that they haven't seen. It might be Star Wars or Sure Shank Redemption. We had to look, you know, you went through the lists and you came up with a couple. And why why did your land on Malti's falcon.
Speaker 5: I think because I've seen a lot of film noir and I just hadn't seen this one, which is kind of the archetype. Really, it's weird to have seen heaps of film noir but not see the one that kind of, you know, kicked it all off realistically. I've seen you know, Double Indemnity and Mildred Pierce, I've seen the Big Sleep Key Lago, you know, but this one just managed to skip by me for some reason.
Speaker 1: And for discos. I hadn't seen this as well. And I watched Casablanca in the first series in Britain and it really is, you know, as great as that they say, and you know, and then I think it was the first Boga film I'd actually watched. So I was I'm going to use his podcasts as a reason maybe to look into more Boga and multi filblem kept on coming up. I was aware of this history of you know, being the you know, the first film noir film made, and I was like, okay, well I need to see it. So I'm really glad I have, and I can't wait to talk to you.
Speaker 4: More about it.
Speaker 1: But before we do, let's circle back to your top three films. Silence of the Lambs has come up before him in people's favorites and what a movie it is.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: It's you know, you know what I love about it is that it never pays off the tension until the final moments of the film, Like just the tension builds and builds and builds and builds, and even you know, when he sits up, when he sits up in the ambulance with someone else's face on, it's it's not even that isn't a big like moment. It's just sort of like and then you move on to something else really quickly. So it's not until she fires a gun right at the end that you're like, oh my god, I can breathe out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's such a balancing act.
Speaker 1: I watched it reasonably recently, and Hannibal Elector is loom so large in our psyche.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, that you.
Speaker 1: Kind of when I was watching, I forgot that, Oh he's not actually the criminal he like like he's a criminal, obviously he's not. He literally eats people. That's why they've got on Cannibal. So that's against the law.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure. I mean, there's a weird.
Speaker 1: Little in America, but I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 4: That's that's still against the law.
Speaker 1: It's very much frowned upon, and so you kind of go, actually, they're after Buffalo Bill, of course, and yeah, and it's an astonishing performance and it's it's just one of those I mean, I'm sure the film would be very good if you replace Jodie Foster and Hannibal Lecter with you know, two good actors for example. Yeah, but what elevates it obviously is the performance by Anthony Hopkins and and and the chemistry he has with with Jodie Foster.
Speaker 5: So he's only in the for eleven minutes. It is apparently it's like, is that the record for the shortest performance to win the lead actor Oscar?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's been some really short ones that have won supporting actors.
Speaker 5: Judy Dench got supporting actor in Shakespeare Love for eight minutes.
Speaker 4: The Queen, I think, yeah, Queen.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth, she said she was there for a day.
Speaker 4: That's amazing. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: In makeup, Yeah, that's incredible. No, it's it's, it's it's and it holds up really well. So on the lads, So you can watch it now and still be I saw it in the cinema and it was it was one of the you know, sweatier palmed films I've seen.
Speaker 5: I think I saw it like maybe six or seven times in the cinema, like I was, I was it ninety one would have been twenty, so I was.
Speaker 1: You know, I think you go on some kind of police registr if you see six times in the cinema.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, as Alexi Teleopolis calls it, I'm a registered cinephile.
Speaker 3: Now after.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna wear an ankle bracelet. He's a north Land Now, he's a north Land.
Speaker 3: Greensborough plaza. What's he doing there?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've got air conditioning.
Speaker 1: Beauty in the Beast I liked that you you were clear that it was the cartoon version of Beauty in the Beast because.
Speaker 5: I had to watch the avoided all of those Disney remakes of cartoons until Anne Marie Bigger came on Hard Quiz has Been Special, and I was the senior writer on the episode, so I had to watch it and write her questions.
Speaker 3: Because like she chose me to the Beast.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh, awesome, I love Beauty to the Beast and then she's like, yeah, the one with Emma wats them.
Speaker 3: Oh no, why would you do this to me?
Speaker 5: And it's horrible, like that is a horrible, horrible experience, Like it's it's a terrible film, Like there's nothing redeeming about it whatsoever.
Speaker 4: What mistakes did they make in the live action version?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it's a modern film thing where everything has to have an origin story, Like you have to find out why she doesn't have a mother, Like that's a whole story they bother to tell. Like I don't know if you've seen the Kenneth Browner death on the Nile, but you get the origin of Piro's mustache.
Speaker 1: No, I've heard about this. I haven't watched it. I am going to watch it because I enjoyed Murder on the Only Express. You know, he get ad remake very much so. But I have heard there's a weird origin story.
Speaker 5: It is so strange. It's in black and white, it's in World War One. It's like you're like, what is the what is happening here? And it's been digitally da just like, oh, this is all too much. But yeah, so with the Beauty and the Beast, like everyone has like a weird origin. There's this weird storyline with Stanley Tucci playing a piano, Like literally he is his character is a piano.
Speaker 1: Well, they say every actor wants to play Macbeth and the piano.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, Tucci's finally managed it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's just it's overblown.
Speaker 5: It's like also, you know, like it was fine when Jerry Orbuch was pretending to be French in the cartoon, but it just felt weird. You were McGregor, like in this day and age to be pretending to be French. It's like I feel like you've like nowadays, like surely there's a French person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely agree, and even even to me, honest, I started watching The Bad Batchelor Style was animated series. Yeah, and I assume the bad match refers to the accents they're gone with, because there's a there's a motley bunch of Aussie, keiw South African accents, and I'm pretty sure aren't done by.
Speaker 4: Actors from those countries. I think there's one.
Speaker 1: There's a girl and I've forgot the name, but she she's a KeyWe actress, and I think and it comes across as a genuine kind of you know.
Speaker 3: Is it Are they all just clones? Is it meant to be?
Speaker 5: Are they all meant to be Tomura Morrison, but he's too busy.
Speaker 1: Doing a Bubba fat. But I yeah, I think you're right. So maybe it's just like the idea that these have been like bastardized versions, you know, because it is a bad Batch. Maybe my whimsical take of the bad Batch in Friendship Accents, he's not far off the truth, the idea that they're not quite they haven't quite you know, got it right for some reason, or.
Speaker 5: Maybe they started with the castle. They're like, no one could do the accent. We're going to call it the bad Bat. Can't find anyone that you can do to Maria Morrison, We're just gonna call it the bad Batch. That'll be the easy way out.
Speaker 1: Jayla guy is on speed Oh come on.
Speaker 3: I saw a film with him in it when I was in New Zealand.
Speaker 5: Like it was a like we went to a we were like, well we should say a local film.
Speaker 3: While we're here. Yeah, and it was him.
Speaker 5: And he was like a yeah, and the guy who plays the Young Rock like really tall Aussie guy, right, yeah, who plays Young Rock in The Young Rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was this deranged film about all these bad people that moved into a street it was very silly, like the Kiwi sense of humor is delightful.
Speaker 1: They do it really well. Whatever that is that New Zealand sensibility. It's got a big heart and a bit of quirk.
Speaker 5: Gentle humor, like there's nothing kind of nasty about it, like it feels, you know, it's like you can get big belly laves without there's no roasting going on, like it's all it's very self effacing, but not in a kind of nasty you know, I'm not putting myself down in a big way.
Speaker 3: It's look, I'm a bit of an idiot.
Speaker 1: And life affirming and you know it's yeah, And for some reason in Australia we haven't quite been able to hit on that kind of magic chemistry.
Speaker 4: I don't think, I.
Speaker 5: Think because we tend to go very broad with our comedy, like it's you know, we and you know, I think I think that's you know, structural. I think we have too many producers and not enough writers, and so there's too many people saying not like that like this, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Could you write it yourself? No? No, I can tell you how to do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes maybe there is You're right, maybe in New Zealand, they do back the vision of the actor.
Speaker 5: There's not enough people there to be producer. I run it past Dolly and she barred her consent.
Speaker 1: I realized Dolly the Sheep was now now in New Zealand, besiding as Adu of movies.
Speaker 3: Did you know Dolly the Sheep was?
Speaker 5: I mean she was named after Dolly Parton because she was cloned from a memory cell.
Speaker 3: Horrifictly, you know, Scottish Nurse.
Speaker 1: Dolly should be canceled, the one clone ship should be canceled based on that factor.
Speaker 4: Line.
Speaker 5: Well, Dolly Parton herself offered, like when she heard about it, she's like, oh, that's amazing. I think it's an amazing step forward, like just completely pushing away any kind of nastiness that the journalist was trying to imply. And she goes and you know, when they're finished doing whatever they need to do with Dolly, I'm offering her a place to retire at my Dollywood ranch because we've got plenty of animals there. And I'm like, only Dolly Parton could name drop her own theme park. When someone was trying to get a gotcha question on her about cloned cheek and She's like, yeah, yeah, you think you're having to go at my boobs.
Speaker 3: But I've got a theme park.
Speaker 4: Oh and by the way, he's a vaccine.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. And then you got that one you can get at a price.
Speaker 1: Line and you get a new CD.
Speaker 3: As well.
Speaker 1: But yes, it's despite beating the beach before, we got a Star Trek.
Speaker 4: What what did the what did the cart? The animated cart?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't want to say cut into the animated original, get right.
Speaker 5: I think it's just the simplicity of storytelling, like, don't overburden it with too much, like it's you know, it's I mean, it's problematic nowadays, like he locks her up in the cell and goes, then you'll fall in love with me, um, Like it's difficult, but I still cry every time he lets her go, has that moment of like, I've been selfish, I've been an idiot, and I need to let you go, even though letting her go means he's going to be condemned to a life as a beast.
Speaker 3: And he gives her the.
Speaker 5: Little mirror so he can look in on her, she can look in on him, and it's just yeah, it's I don't know it's just like an emotional thrust. I think it's also Howard Ashman and Allen Mankin, like they just had like a magic when they worked together, like they did The Little Mermaid and Little Shop of Horrors, and they just had something incredible, Like you know, it's they showed a work print of Beauty and the Beast at the New York Film Festival, like it wasn't even completed. Some of it were just just sketches, like just weird animated you know, stills. Some of it was fully rendered, but it got a standing ovation, like people loved it even though it wasn't finished, like the like Disney just went, oh, yeah, we'll just show it. It feels like it's a good movie. Everyone in the office seems to like it, and it's yeah. So it's it's still it still really holds up. Like like I said, it's a you know, like a lot of old films, what it's saying on a meditextural level is difficult, or what.
Speaker 1: You're saying yesterday that The Notebook is going to be is you know, there's there's petitions to get their cancer. Because Ryan Gosling holds Regil Adams hostage on a Ferris Wheel. We just sometimes we just said to go, Okay, we don't do that anymore, but I can still enjoy a movie.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, it's it's but you know, it's the fairest wheel. Once you're on, you can't get off.
Speaker 1: As you know, I'm a massive Star Wars fan, so I've have been resistant to Star Trek over the years.
Speaker 4: It's my own baggage.
Speaker 1: But when J. J. Abrams took over the Star Trek franchise, I thought this was an opportunity to maybe get in because I was going back to the start, was my understanding, and I enjoyed this film. Why do you You're a big science fiction fan? Obviously obviously you love you Doctor Who and Startup? But why have you chosen this one?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: I kind of like, like, so Silence of the Lambs and Beauty and the Beast weirdly competing with each other at the nineteen ninety one oscars, like they came out at the same time. So they've been just like ingrained in my brain for a long time as my two favorite films, and it was weird having to think of a third one, and I was like, why is my other favorite film? I didn't and I thought, what's the one film I watch for comfort? Like, what's the one film I just will put on and go. I mean, no, I'm going to enjoy this. And every time I watch it, I enjoy it. And I thought, oh, it's the J. J Abrams Star Trek film. Like I even went to see it with the Melbourn Symphony Orchestra playing Michael Giaccino's score, and like started crying when the credit started rolling with the big drums.
Speaker 3: I was like, and I was with my sister. I was like, what is happening? I'm crying? She because I know it's the orchestra. What's happening.
Speaker 5: It's just like it's fun. Like it kind of pulls together all of Star Trek. And I don't want to offend you now, but you know, Star Trek is well written science fiction as opposed to Star Wars, which is lots of fun explosions, and I enjoy the fun explosions paint. I love fun explosions. I was obsessed with Darth Vader from a very young age. Very sad in Return of the Jedi, I thinkoter of a film when because you know, my hero dies, But yeah, I just I always loved that Star Trek was more about the writing, and you know, you could have whole episodes of Star Trek where they're just all in one room arguing about stuff, and it was fine as a TV show, but this was big and bold and exciting. Chris Pine is really, you know, compelling, and also it's got the secret ingredient I think for a blockbuster that people sometimes forget is the reason things make money, and that is Zoe Saldana. Like she's she's an avatar, She's in Guardians of the Galaxy, and she plays a horror in this and they're three of the biggest blockbusters you can imagine, and it's like, you.
Speaker 3: Should just put her in everything, like she obviously makes money.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you put her and Bruce Spence in the same movie, because Bruce Spence, yes, I think you're talking Matrix, you're talking Lord of the Rings, You're talking. Yes, some of the movies he O Weaving would be in that conversation as well.
Speaker 5: Imagine it's always Soldana was in those two other Matrix movies instead of Jada Pinkett, like we might have actually enjoyed them.
Speaker 1: Watch Will Smith is about to come and slap You don't talk about his fucking wife.
Speaker 5: Thoughtry is really good in the new one, like in the Resurrection.
Speaker 3: Like that the what was it?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 1: The reason why call I enjoy I actually enjoyed the latest Matrix film.
Speaker 5: I did too. I thought it was fun and satirical and silly, and I.
Speaker 1: Thought I took chances, and I thought the chances kind of paid off. Like and I you know, like I we all, you know, either really love or admire that the Matrix film. I'm probably in the somewhere in between. But and yeah, even the sequels. I've defended this by saying, the way you describe Star Wars, I would just describe them as Matrix sequels is just their action films with cool studies.
Speaker 5: Once you get past the fact that they make no sense, it's like, oh, it's okay, yeah, okay, to make no sense. You're having a twenty minute action sequence on a freeway.
Speaker 3: I'm cool.
Speaker 4: It's really funny.
Speaker 1: Sometimes when you're watching something, you go, I'm trying to understand something that's not really there or yeah, and when you let go, you can actually enjoy it a whole lot more. It was Magic Resurrections that wasn't naming but yeah, I agree, I really, I.
Speaker 5: Really enjoyed it, and I thought I thought Jada Pinkett did an amazing job, because sometimes she can be you know, grating as an actor, Like, although I enjoyed Demon Night, I thought she was great in that. That's a fun little film that's tales from the Crypt. They did a movie called Demon Night. It's very silly, but she's great. It's but yeah, I just didn't lie. I think it's got them kind of made me go, it's not acting.
Speaker 4: Just to your podcasts and.
Speaker 5: Have your abrasive conversations with people, and you're weird. Marriage, let's get out.
Speaker 3: Of my face.
Speaker 4: Adam Ridges is in the house, and you're weird.
Speaker 5: Children that you've named as if you're on an episode of Bold and the Beautiful taking bits of each each of yours names to genders, flip them like it was Rick, Rick and Bridge and bolded the Beautiful, it was origin, it was kids.
Speaker 1: It was weird. When when as soon as they oscar slap happened, the son what's his son's name, Cradick Jaden got on and they said, yeah, that's how we do it, and it aged really badly because he was like, yeah, I shouldn't have done that was that was bad.
Speaker 4: That's not how we do it. It's not what I'm about.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anyway, enough of that, Let's talk about this film that we are here to discuss. It's the nineteen forty one classic credited for ushing the film the Movement in Harvary Bogart, Marie Asta, Peter Laurie, Sidney Green Street and directed and written by John Houston. Nineteen forty one. Adam Richard, What did you make and did you like the multice Falcon?
Speaker 3: Oh? What fun? Like I didn't expect it to be as fun as I was.
Speaker 5: I thought, oh, this is going to be a duer standing in shadows like you know, depressing film noir, like like you know, Double Indemnity. It's like a lot of sitting around wunning for cast to stuff. But like Bogy is having a ball, yea Humphrey Boger. Like it's weird to think that this was the film that made him the star he became, Like this was the first one because you're just like he seems so confident and comfortable in this role. It's like like everyone's being kind of really you know, devious and at cross purposes and he's just like.
Speaker 3: Nah, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 5: Even the one scene where he gets really angry. In the next moment you're like, oh he was putting that on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he leaves the room and he's just laughing.
Speaker 1: It's fun because I saw he said I mentioned earlier Casi Blank was my first Boguart experience, and which.
Speaker 5: He got after this like this came out and was like, oh, well, we've got to put him in this now.
Speaker 1: Well, Johnny Houston and Humphrey Boger become great mates and drinking part as basically, and then make a whole lot of films to get a Key Lago, The Treasure, Sierra Madre and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and lots of stuff and Queen Queen Yes.
Speaker 1: And but Bogart in that he doesn't like, is in full control. It's like when I always say when Tom Cruise made Top Gun, that was the birth of Tom Cruise, the movie stuff. He unlocked something in that kind of the cocky swagger he developed in that character, and then he took that to other roles, whether it was a few good men or roles like that. I reckon Boga unlocked something in this movie that he took to those other films, and by the time he does cassib blank, he's in full control of it and to the point where he knows he's cool and suave and always to the point where he barely smiles in Casablanca, and when he does, it's kind of a bit weird.
Speaker 4: So seeing in this one like half and smiles so.
Speaker 3: Much was grinning.
Speaker 5: He's probably grinning for the whole movie, especially like when the cops come around, he's always kind of laughing at them and they're all like, no, we're.
Speaker 3: Serious, you're in trouble, you got your murder, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 4: And he's I looked it up.
Speaker 1: He's five foot eight because he looks he looks like a small man like you see Tom Cruise on screen.
Speaker 4: He doesn't look you know.
Speaker 1: However they shoot him or or whoever they comes alongside, he doesn't look you know, he doesn't look at He doesn't particularly tall, but he feels the screen like I'm not sure if Bogart he's got presence. I'm not saying he doesn't have presence, but he still looks like a meeting the small.
Speaker 3: Man because he's got a big head. His big head.
Speaker 5: He's got a big head, and the rest of his body is the same size as his head.
Speaker 1: Like you can imagine him getting his shoes at speeds, you know. Apparently they're bringing his own wardrobe. That's his wardrobe. That was Warner Brothers were basically, you know, to keep.
Speaker 3: The budget anything to fit you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to spend that on the on the the wardrobe for Sydney Green Street for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that was that was true.
Speaker 1: They had to measure get his own tailor's for his own suits and also build his own chairs. And that we get to him. I want to stay on Bogut for a while. John Houston said that he goes. To be honest, he was he was off screen. He's actually quite an unremarkable man. But something happens when you put a camera and you you lights these once in the generation kind of actors. Something happens and they become they become almost giants, and they become very noble all of a sudden.
Speaker 4: And that was really interesting to hear.
Speaker 5: I've actually seen that happen on a set like I was watching when I was working with Christina Knew on Outland, which was a series of the ABC which I mentioned.
Speaker 4: On the air.
Speaker 1: I mentioned that in the intro and I loved that series congratulations that I cannot believe it hasn't of become I was watching a gun this is going to become a global hit. Ought to be remade. It will be remade. I know there were discussions that, Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we've been through like ten or twelve different US producers that have all like, there's been pilot scripts made. Is it like Peter Dinkling was involved. But it's just it's you know, it's been around, but.
Speaker 4: Check out Outland and it's very cute.
Speaker 1: It's not on any petition you get to see your remake made or something or reboot.
Speaker 5: But doing a tenth anniversary reunion John Richards and I. It's the Bendigo Queer Film Festival this year, ten years since it was years.
Speaker 3: I know we've known each other for twenty five years. Let's not even go there.
Speaker 5: But yeah, no, I was like Christina knew like in person, lovely girl, like we've been chatting. And then I looked over at the monitor as the camera was filming a scene. I'm like, wow, that is a stunning performance. And it's like you don't see it with your eyes in person, but the camera just picked something up like and you're like some people just have it like some people just have this thing that the camera loves them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, Lisa mceoun's the same, you know, how to stay married, you know she and she's like she around.
Speaker 3: Sweet little thing and yeah, person, you're like, oh yeah, it's Lisa.
Speaker 1: Seriously, she's like the most enthusiastic person on set. She's straight out of film school. And then and she's helping people laut she's offering to help anyone's on that at least, you know this just you know, just relax, you're about to shoot a scene. She's offering people SCons and then she goes on screen and she just it's it's incredible what happens. It's what makes stars as opposed to you know, two actors and then nothing around being an actor.
Speaker 4: But but it is that star quality there wasn't.
Speaker 5: Justin Hanilton and I have talked about this a lot. You know, we go for these long walks around Centinial Park on a Saturday, and we're obsessed with leading men who are great character actors and shouldn't be leading men. Ryan Gosling's one, and so is Brad pet Like great character actors and they've got the looks to be leading men, but it's like they keep getting these roles and it's like they seem a bit lost in like, like I want I want, I want them in the support cast playing an amazing character because they're great character actors, like Gosling always seems a bit lost.
Speaker 3: In the lead.
Speaker 5: You're right, whereas and I think the only time I've ever seen Pitt b mythic as like a.
Speaker 3: Leading man was in the True Story of Jesse.
Speaker 5: James or whatever, the Ballad of you know, the one.
Speaker 4: Yeah James by the cal Roberts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like he's amazing in that, but again it's not his film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also I mean that, but those films are written even though he's a leading man, it's still it's still a character piece, isn't it, Like yeah, like killing killing them softly? Was?
Speaker 4: I thought a similar thing. I thought he was great Yeah in that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm more I am pro brad pet But I understand what you're saying. But maybe it's about when he makes those you know, Troy's in tri is a long time ago, obviously, but maybe those kind of that are supposed to be the blockbuster films, you know, where he's almost doing it for that you know, we'll give the studio this one and then I'll get to do another two.
Speaker 3: Eric Eric Banner took that film and run away with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you would you.
Speaker 5: Barely notice brad Bit in that thing, Like it's I think he gets lost us. I think it's what that thing of. Like great character actors maybe don't have a personality of their own that they're really that they find really strong, whereas you know, like great stars like Tom Cruise. Sure he's the same in every movie, but he's compelling, like you just you can't take your eyes off him and you just want to watch him.
Speaker 1: I interviewed Tom Cruise this week and I said, you are just thinking about it? You know him before I interviewed him, Like he is the movie star of our generation. Like there's like name name a bigger movie star who's been constant, you know, he's done that body of work over that period of time in blockbusters, and we're talking about movie stars and Tom Cruise hasn't done like he's gone and done interesting films. But I think in the more recent years he's gone, No, I'm just going to be a movie star and I'm going to do it really well, and I'm going to actually, you know, you know, you know what, Tom Cruise is into fan service, and fans love fan service.
Speaker 3: Fans love fans service.
Speaker 5: I mean, I got excited when I saw the trailer for Top Gun because I was like, Oh my god, Myles Teller's looking really hot with a mustache.
Speaker 3: Is that mustache?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it's genetic, he's baby goos. I don't believe that mustache gets passed down from generation.
Speaker 4: A few things get passed down. I've seen it.
Speaker 1: I got to say, it was one of the most fun experiences I've had in the cinema in recent times. It's it's the combat scenes are better, the story is actually more powerful, and it's a better story. It's actually a better film than Top Gun. And it reminded me we are so used to watching the big Marvel blockbusters in cinemas now, and I enjoy a Marvel blockbuster. But it reminded me of like, you know, when we were watching films growing up at the eighties and the nineties, where where there were just films that were big films, films, but they weren't necessarily ip based on the previous stuff.
Speaker 5: And I, yeah, I kind of missed that I got. That's what I was excited about June when that came out. Also because I think Villain there's a great director. It's a really amazing vision. And I feel like June made a lot of Marvel movies look kind of hollow, like it made them look like the CGI spectacles they are, because there's a lot of CGI in June, but you would never really know like it looks like a film. And that's why I think I'm excited about going to see Top Gun because I've only seen the trailers, but I'm like, oh, there's cameras in the planes. I love this, like actual cameras in actual planes.
Speaker 1: Danger Zone plays within the first thirty seconds.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they do move it on and it becomes its own, its own thing, and I think, I think I did it really well.
Speaker 4: But I'll be curious to know what you think.
Speaker 1: This also on geting about the Humphy Brogart he got, he's his fast paced delivery becomes really famous and becomes like the standard in film noir. But the way he speaks, so that's that's become synonymous with film no It was actually a studio note that was given to because as as you would have noticed, Adam, there there's so much exposition in this and we'll.
Speaker 3: Get there so much like did you did you like?
Speaker 1: And I watched it twice full disclosure, I watched it last week and watched it again last night, and I had I had two different reactions to it. The first one, I was quite underwhelmed. I have to say. I was like, oh, jeez, I don't even really understand this. And I undertand of yeah, you broadly understand it, but I don't really understand the motives behind a lot of these things. And they're talking so quickly and and there's so much going on, and uh. And then I was what I did. I did a little bit of, you know, reading up on I knew a bit about what the legacy of the film, but I also a bit about what the plot was, you know.
Speaker 5: How the plot it's you know, it's it's the ultimate mcguffin, like it's in the title and it means nothing.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and we should and we should.
Speaker 1: I'm not showing this in these podcasts and we you know, only nine episodes into this podcast, I'm not sure we've ever really spoken about mcguffin. So for those who don't know, mcguffin is often an object of desire in a movie that our characters are wanting that ultimately it doesn't really mean anything, it's not what the film's.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you care about the characters into play in trying to get it or trying to stop other people getting or whatever that is. And yeah, the multi Falcon like for me, just was a driving force for all these great actors to do these incredible scenes with each other where they're just playing off, Like just moments with Sydney green Street and Peter Laurie, You're just like, oh my god, like you can see why suddenly they became this weird double act that did like another ten films together. Yeah, after this, like they're just so much fun. But the same like Bogey with everyone, Like anytime he walks into a room, it's like he's sparking off them. He's and you're like, I don't really even care about the plot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I enjoyed it much more the second time. Like I was saying before, I just let go a little bit. I thought, you know, because even even with modern films, I can go I'm not I'm not across every detail of this plot. But as long as I feel something.
Speaker 5: Because you haven't watched the fourteen episodes on Disney plus that lead.
Speaker 1: Up to it, I haven't seen now the seventeen films that Leader the Leader to it. Well, Funnily enough, I just I wrote down some of some of the great mcguffins you know in films. In the Infinity Stones is we have one of the more recently the Ring obviously in the Lord of the Ring, Private Ryan. Sometimes it can be a person, Yeah, Private Ryan's having Private Ryan dug great mcguffein in The Hangover, Colonel Kurtz and Apocalypse Now it would be a mcguffin and some objects.
Speaker 4: The Holy Grail has been done quite.
Speaker 1: A bit Monty Piety, the Vincy Code, a plant to the Death Star in Star Wars is in a mcguffin.
Speaker 3: They keep using that mcguffiny.
Speaker 4: They love it so much.
Speaker 1: Do we love it? Do we need any mcguffin. That's good, We're good.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do it.
Speaker 5: We're gonna do a prequel about the plants of the and how they got that.
Speaker 3: Handed them off.
Speaker 1: The rug in The Big Lebowski is also another great mcguffy and it comes to a term where Hitchcock basically invented it is based on a train scene they was shooting and there was a massive package and somebody else what was in uh what was in the package? And somebody said it's a mcguffin, which was like a Scottish Highland dog or something. And then Hitchcock terms you know, the terms that use the term mcguffin, and it becomes it becomes a thing.
Speaker 5: So yeah, like the it's like the suitcase by pulp fiction. In pulp fiction where you don't need to know what it is. No, Like that's the ultimate example of not needing to know what it is, Like light comes out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you go.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's what they've all been kind of everything's kind of been circling around this object, but it doesn't actually matter.
Speaker 1: It's probably the exact reason why he actually said, yeah, well you actually Tarantina decided not to show it because he knows, he's steeped in cinema.
Speaker 4: He knows what a mcguffin is.
Speaker 1: No, No, and people'll talk about you know, we talk about it, we're still talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's but yeah, the multi falcon because even though you get that crawl at the start of the movie explaining what it is, and I was like, what is this here for? And I was like, oh, okay, well that must mean something, and then it never gets brought up until later, and then it's all explained again.
Speaker 3: It's like you just told me that in text at the start.
Speaker 1: I'll read it that in nineteen fifty nine, the night Templars of Malta paid Juby to Charles the Fifth Spain by sending him a gold golden falcon encrusted from big to claw with the rarest jewels. But pirates seize the galley carrying this priceless token, and the fate of the multi falcon remains a mystery to this day.
Speaker 5: I think that was fifteen ninety something, not nineteen fifteen nine, fifteen after the film is made, fifteen thirty nine is cut up at fifteen thirty nine, I.
Speaker 1: Believe it was. And apparently they're there like it was based on some kind of thing. I think, like Hollywood, they got a little bit of you know, they took some liberties. Oh they always do, but yeah, it's it's so the first scene of this, we kind of start at Spade and Archer, and we won't go obviously through everything chronologically, but a little start at the start. I mean, there's a few things that jumped out at me. Adam One, he the receptionist comes in and says, you want to see this as a woman.
Speaker 4: You want to see she's a real knockout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was kind of.
Speaker 1: Expecting, you know, a Marilyn Monroe tart to come through that door.
Speaker 5: I know. It's the forties, like it's this is in the middle of the war, and women were you know, like this is the era of Mildred ps. This is the era of strong female characters. So it was not about like the sex simple thing didn't start until post war when all the men came back and the women had to leave their jobs that they were doing. So this was a time when women were working like women were not. This was not a time for glamour. This was a time for a business. So yeah, it's I know, and mary Asta is kind of I'm understated, which is weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's so good I think through this and she I liked that she was open with her with her lying you know, she let's let's play a scene actually where it's asking Sam for some help.
Speaker 6: I will later when I can. You've got to trust me, mister Spade. Oh I'm so alone, afraid I've got nobody to help me. If you won't help me, be generous, mister Spade. You're brave, you're strong. You can spare me some of that courage and strength. Surely help me, mister Spade. I need help so badly. I'm no right to ask you. I know I haven't, but I do ask you help me.
Speaker 2: You won't need much of anybody's health. You're good.
Speaker 7: It's chiefly your eyes, I think, in that throb you get in your voice when you say things like be generous, mister Spade.
Speaker 2: I deserve that.
Speaker 6: But the lie was in the way I said it, not at all, and what I said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's It was really cool. Actually, that was one of the first moments where I was like, ah, cool, this is yeah, this is is a bit more going on here.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I loved was this so many reveals throughout the whole film, Like I felt like, you know, if they made this now, it'll be ten episodes on HBO, and each little reveal would be the end of an episode, Like you know when when the dead partner's wife comes in and they kiss. It'd be like, oh, gotta wait till next week to find out what happens next. Now, whereas that's like ten minutes into the film. Yeah, like he gets knocked off, they're having an affair.
Speaker 3: It's like, this is fairly started.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have to say that Archer got knocked off unceremoniously.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not just that, but like you know, Sam gets back to the office and he's like, change all the signs.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I need the signs repainted by Monday.
Speaker 1: That was a harsh detail, I know.
Speaker 3: And you're like, why did that?
Speaker 5: And then he kisses the wife and you're like, oh, he didn't like his partner at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it was quite like I'm sure you felt about it.
Speaker 1: It was almost quite jarring to me that he just gave zero fus about his partner, even if he didn't get along and.
Speaker 4: They seem to get along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, let's face it, Archer was a sleazy Yeah, he was gross the way he was. He was fawning over her. He literally checks her ass on the way out. You know, it's it's it's it's cartoony or how how full on he is. But I guess, I guess maybe they don't really want us to invest too much in Archer. They don't want us to feel, you know, the weight of his death in a way, because we like, there's no effort made based on how unlikeably he is in life and then how uick his death is.
Speaker 5: I think also like because you know, like Sam is twigging that this woman is not telling the truth entirely, like that there's something going on. So it feels like, you know, ordinarily probably would have investigated himself, but it feels like he sends miles out there almost knowing that he's going to die, like knowing that this is a shit situation, and it's like, well, you know, we've agreed to take on the case, and I don't want to be the dead one. So it's almost like he's one because it feels like for the whole movie, he's always one step ahead of everyone else. Yeah, and maybe that's one more moment of him just being I'm pretty sure no one's coming back from this little meeting.
Speaker 1: So when Sam's often saying, you know, like he says later on, I knew you were lying. That's why, you know, I did this, and the often says yeah, you know, like he's he calls people out, and do you think he he's on the money each time he is there a bit of bravado. I mean, what do you think, like when he said, I took your two hundred dollars, you know that's what I believed in. I believed in your two hundred dollars, not your case. Do you think he's always being honest as far as like alwaysy in hindsight kind of you know, saying no, I knew you were you went on the money, so I took your money.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I think yeah, I think he kind of knows all the way along, like he and like the I think sending sending his partner, like I think he knows the whole time that she's been the murderer, like from the beginning, like it's like, well, I'm not going to go because I'm going to get killed, I'll send this guy. And the fact that there's no remorse afterwards, You're like, he doesn't have that moment of oh, I feel terrible that I sent him on this job and he died.
Speaker 1: Like when he gets he gets a phone call and there's no there's I mean, I think phone acting has come a long way.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's a lot of repeating what's that you say?
Speaker 1: His dad, my partner, some of the shouting in the phones, and there's there's no way there's anyone on the other end making any kind of sense outside.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I reckon he's kind of one step ahead the entire time, and he's just sort of like, nah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's not a film that puts you on its back and says, you know, we've got you. It moves ahead so quickly. That's why I had to kind of look up, and I think these films at this age, they do and there's a lot of exposition, there's a lot of there's a lot of talking instead of showing, which you know, styles of change where you you know, you're encouraged to show more than you tell and and you know it's got to do budget and you know what we can achieve, you know.
Speaker 3: I think also, you know, filmmaking.
Speaker 5: For a large part still back then was based on a theatrical model, like you know, yep, drama had come from the theater and films had you know, only been around what thirty forty years like, so it was still kind of finding it's as a visual medium, and Houston tries in a few moments like you know that that burning boat sequence does not need to be there, but he's like, ah, we need something visual to happen here, Like people have been standing around in rooms for the last half an hour. Let's give let's give people something to look at. It's like it's the most pointless scene ever, but it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And even later on when when Goodman kind of says will Will probably accidentally drops some matches to the it wasn't even like a you know, it wasn't a strategic ploy, you know, it was he probably he's looking around the time to go get the felcon and he's pretty colms. He probably dropped some matches and yeah, then we had this fire. But you're right, that probably would have been Okay, we need something here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because the little the little chase sequence is great when he goes to the theater and then being followed and goes around the corner and goes up in the building, like that's kind of like a little fun moment, which reminded me of a very slow version of that scene in seven where they they almost catch up with John Doe and then run through all the corridors and stuff.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, it's just like that, but in reverse and slow.
Speaker 1: And very very slow. I did love speaking of the boat when the man who comes in with the falcon from the boat disrupting newspaper.
Speaker 3: And it's from Hong Kong.
Speaker 1: Exotic, yes, very exotic, and the I mean it's almost become the trope now, you know in the in these films of that person who's just like just lunging, must get this baggage to you and then dies.
Speaker 3: I've been shot, but I've come up four flights of.
Speaker 1: I caught a tram from the from the boat. I've been shot six times carrying a very heavy maultice falcon. And that that was actually played by a special cameo by Walter Houston, John Houston's dad, who was a well regarded working actor and very well known, and he had to he said, happy to do as a cameo, as a you know, as a favorite to my son, and Jack Warner at Warner Brothers had him sign something saying, you will not ask for any money down the track. You won't god, you know, because we've got humbry bog bringing his own wardrobe, and we can't. We can't.
Speaker 4: We've got cookmen.
Speaker 1: We have to dress chairs, to build, to be reinforced.
Speaker 3: Look at this multie falcon that's meant to be covered in jewels.
Speaker 4: So let's let's talk about Joel Cairo.
Speaker 5: Lorry just having so much fun, just being kind of nasty and underhand, and I mean it was. It became a terrible trope in cinema that if you had a weird accent, you must be a bad guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And they don't identify anybody as homosexual. No, But in the book, what Kira definitely is and Goodman and Wilman, we'll get there those two soon are all. But there's quite obvious cues given even the score. When Cairo kind of enters, he's very light and whimsy. Yeah, and then the way he plays with his cane is kind of kind of slightly weird, and it's it's it's it's borderline offensive.
Speaker 4: That's how easily Kira gets disarmed.
Speaker 3: Oh, to the point.
Speaker 1: Where he puts his hand behind his head. Then he kind of slaps the gun away, and then he grabs his hand I think while he's still smoking and makes him punch himself. It's like, it's like your older brother, go, why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?
Speaker 3: So silly?
Speaker 5: That did have mean there's so much in this film that I wasn't expecting, Like I didn't expect this as much comedy as there is, I wasn't expected to be as funny as it is.
Speaker 1: At the end of that scene when he's been beaten up by his own hand and he's passed out, then he's come back. They're getting it. They're kind of getting along. There's kind of on a code amongst you know, shady types, I guess. And then right at the end, he gets his gun back and he goes, put your hands up, I'm going to search this room, and Burger just cracks up laughing. I thought, I thought that was great because.
Speaker 5: It's like, I've just been through all this to get out of this moment and now we're doing it again.
Speaker 4: And lot of his business card smells of gardenias as well.
Speaker 5: I know that was the big I think there might be a homosexual in the front office.
Speaker 3: He smells of garden It was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the business guard had to smell of gardenias or ladder Rosemary.
Speaker 3: We can't say homosexual, but we can't say garden.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: One thing they did do. Samsbag uses a word called gunsel. He is three times in reference to Wilma, the hitman who works for Casper.
Speaker 3: One who's following him quite obviously.
Speaker 1: Obviously following him in a jacket. That he's waiting big for him, and you'll pay the price for that. At some point he looks like she would be in an eighties video clip. It's a very big standing standing in a in a tip with a.
Speaker 3: Bin on fire, some Venetian blinds.
Speaker 1: And Hamitt apparently uses that word in his novel, not only after he's out of objected to the word being he first used, which is catamite, a term which I wasn't aware of it. It's used as a young man kept kept by an older man for sexual purposes.
Speaker 5: Oh so what we would call now a nephew.
Speaker 3: Or boy? Wonder? This is Robin my guns.
Speaker 1: I knew it was going to be an education today, Adam so so well. Hammett's novel identified Cairo as a homosexual and hinted at it. For Wilmer and Goodman, the term was considered too explicit so Hammitt replaced replaced it with gunsel, which is editor assumed meant gunslinger, so it kind of got through.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't mean that Gunsel is a.
Speaker 1: Yiddish word which which means it a little goose, and was passed along in American culture. But it was merely a synonym for catamite, right, So it just meant the same thing, the same thing. It meant the same thing that they got around they found a little loophole.
Speaker 3: So he's essentially calling him a bum chum.
Speaker 1: They do when they do the Maltese Felcon remade, and I'm sure they were at some point, Yes, we were, just bring up the term bumb chump.
Speaker 4: What do I feel like?
Speaker 1: I'm back in the school yards of Parade College paid, So did you did you feel Actually, let's talk about Caspar Goodman before I asked you this question. The fat Man a turn that actually then gets adopted by the makers of the Hiroshima Russima bombs.
Speaker 4: It's a little Boy and fat Man.
Speaker 3: I know which Mitch could could be Wilma and Goodman.
Speaker 1: Well, some people think little Boy does refer to Wilma, but apparently it doesn't. But you're absolutely right and this was Sydney green Street's first film role. He'd been acting in theater and I think in London for forty years and he's very nervous and he took his role on end up doing like another twenty four movies after this before retiring. He does enter. It's a big entrance because obviously he's a big man, but also.
Speaker 4: One of the weirder handshakes. I'm not sure you've noticed, but he shakes.
Speaker 1: He shakes Sam's hand and then holds it until they move from the door all the way to the counts whilst holding that hand with both hands. It's yeah, it's a move.
Speaker 3: It feels very Trumpian.
Speaker 5: Its weird Trump handshakes where it's like yeah, and now here comes the other hand, why are you doing that?
Speaker 1: Or really any politician really were having their photo taken it, you know, one of those big choggham or whatever they you know. Yeah, so and then he has a way of talking as well. He's very kind of I like a man who drinks another man who drinks too much. You know, it's a very in fact, let's have a bit of a listen to kasperguir Is your.
Speaker 7: Impression, Oh, it's not very much to go by. Carol didn't say he didn't. He didn't say didn't. She said she didn't. But I took it for granted she was lying.
Speaker 8: Not an injudicious thing to do if they don't know, I'm the only one in the whole white sweet Where do swell?
Speaker 2: When you told me? That'll make two of.
Speaker 8: Us mathematically correct her? But I don't know for certain that I'm going to tell you, or.
Speaker 2: It'll be foolish. You know what it is? I know where it is. That's why I'm here.
Speaker 8: Where is it? Where is it?
Speaker 2: You see?
Speaker 8: I mistated what I know, But you won't tell me what you know?
Speaker 2: So how the air could it? Was? No?
Speaker 8: No, I don't think we can do business along those lines.
Speaker 7: I'll think again, and think fast. I told that guns of yours. You'll have to talk to me before you through. I'm telling you now, you'll talk to me today or you're at What are you wasting my time for? I can get along without you and another thing. Take that gunsil out of my way while you're making up your mind.
Speaker 2: I'll kill them.
Speaker 8: If you don't, I'll kill him where sir, I must say, you have a most violent temper take it over.
Speaker 7: You've got till five o'clock and you're either in or out.
Speaker 1: Okay, So as you referred to before.
Speaker 4: Then he leaves and he has a good old chuckle.
Speaker 5: Good old chuckle after that, which I love. He's done the full El Patito and then gone dad, just kidding.
Speaker 1: You may have touched on it earlier, but did you believe that Samuel Spade was at some point in love with bridget o'sceannessy.
Speaker 3: I think he, you know, would have had a crack.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think he sapt with everyone, I think, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know that he was necessarily in love.
Speaker 5: I think it was one of those you know, in another place, another time, which was a very bogy thing that became almost his trademark of like, oh, if only we'd met at a different time, this could have been something kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you.
Speaker 5: Know the African Queen that's like, oh, if only you know we were different people at different places.
Speaker 3: Like it's it's yeah, I think that. I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's weird to see how many of the tropes of his career have started in this film, Like you know, oh that one that's yeah, that's obviously a moment that that kind of keeps going on because you know, next thing is in Grid Bergman and it's like, ah, we'll always have Paris.
Speaker 1: Well, it's really interesting when we see these older films and we're so used to a bit more work being done, you know, kind of connecting the two characters, like when they fall in love, even if it's as simple as you know, a slight push in with the camera with some score going over when they see each other for the first time.
Speaker 4: We don't get any of that here really, and so it's hard to know.
Speaker 1: And I think it's part of the joy of the film in a way that we don't know, like you know, we shouldn't know. And I mean it's good that we can discuss it because because the first time I watched it, yeah, I assumed he knew exactly what was happening the whole way through. And then the second time I watched it, I felt his heartbreak a bit more than I did when I first when I first saw it. Well, there is that scene in the Enemy we can play now when he talks about the detective business and and you know, you know, we spoke about how he didn't give any zero fox when we had to die. You know he shows and you know every character needs an arc and a journey to go on. And maybe Sam he shows that maybe he wasn't exactly at zero.
Speaker 2: Fox, Listen, this won't do any good.
Speaker 7: You'll never understand me, but I'll try once and then give it up. Well, a man's partner's killed, he's supposed to do something about it. It doesn't make any difference what you thought of. And he was your partner, and you're supposed to do something about it. And it happens where in the detective business, Oh, one of your organizations gets killed. It it's bad business to let the killer get away with it, bed all around, bad for every detective everywhere.
Speaker 3: Expect me to think of the things you're saying.
Speaker 4: It special reason for me.
Speaker 7: Wait till i'm true, then you can talk. I have no worthly reason to think I can trust you. And if I do this and get away with it, you'll have something on me that you can use whenever you want to. Since I've got something on you, I couldn't be sure that you wouldn't put a hole in me.
Speaker 2: Someday all those are on one side.
Speaker 7: Maybe some of them are unimportant that I want to argue about that, but look at the number of them.
Speaker 2: What have we got on the other side. All we've got is that maybe you love me, and maybe I love you.
Speaker 6: You know, whether you love me or not.
Speaker 2: Maybe I do.
Speaker 7: We'll have some rotten nights after I've sent you over, but that'll pass.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's I mean listening to that back even now, I think he does for for her. I think he's and this becomes a film noir thing. It's like the protagonist who has to resist the temptations of the film fertile, and I think that's him being torn as he's deciding he knows. I think now, you know, he certainly knows that she was responsible, but he's worked it out and he's still giving her this quite gracious, even though he's saying, you speak when when I'm finished.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, I'll get over in a couple of days. There'll be a few bad nights, but you know.
Speaker 5: But also like, I love that it kind of goes to the his moral core. It's like, yes, I do want to, but you know I have you know, I want to be in love with you, but I can't because I've got to hand you over to the police. Because yeah, you're the bad guy. Also because they think I'm in the frame for him.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's him self interest being served here, but yeah, you're you're right, And I think that's also a big feel no our thing. It's like the anti hero that has its own moral code. I think that's really strong here. Also, you know Mary Asta doesn't necessarily play the fem fertille the way fem fertiales end up like she's not. And it's what you were saying earlier about the time, the time and place and post.
Speaker 5: Wars, we certainly, yeah, get more ful, like in what's the awestin Wells One like you from Shahai, Yeah, like it becomes much more full on. It's like, you know, sex is being used quite brazenly, whereas she's kind of trying to turn on.
Speaker 3: Sort of like.
Speaker 5: What's the word I'm looking for. I don't want to say frailty, but you know.
Speaker 1: Well she's putting on it's a performative vulnerability, like she's trying to pretend to be vulnerable even though she's clearly not. When she said earlier you're brave, you're strong, she's she's actually quite brave and strong to be existing in this in this world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a weird, Like it feels weird that she's kind of gone to drag him into it, Like I know that the way she comes in, she's gorgeous and you know you're gonna love her and fall in love with her, like that's the whole This is the first time we've seen that happen with the detective is like, oh no, she's beautiful and I better follow a story and it's like, oh no, I mean lots of terrible trouble, which always happens in these things, but I love that he's always just a little bit, you know, just outside of it, like the stories almost happening without him involving himself, Like he just sort of seems to get sort of trapped in it by her.
Speaker 3: For whatever reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like it's like, yeah, it's really strange, like the way he gets dragged into it, and he would be completely within his rights to go nah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also you know, thinking about it afterwards. The multie Felcon really, I mean, the movie's really about how myths can manipulate and hold this power over people. And I think and say, you know, like this this the Maltese Falcon is seen as this thing of great beauty that there's actually if you scratch away, it actually kind of reveals itself to be fake. And I think nothing there and I think that's what Bridgidae chaneasy is.
Speaker 4: And she's tended bogie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Samuel Spade with the performance, she's actually and if you scratch away enough, yeah, it all falls away.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that's such a great metaphor. I love it.
Speaker 4: You only get that. Watch it twice.
Speaker 3: I do. I do love you know what else? I love. I love that.
Speaker 5: At the end of it, she's gone off to jail obviously, but the others are like, oh, well, we're gonna go and see if we can find it.
Speaker 4: They're gonna we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna go on the hunt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're gonna only condic you to it.
Speaker 1: They're gone Eastabul, he's got Istabul.
Speaker 4: It's over twenty eighths.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's just like you go, oh, this is just like a like in the story of the Maltese Falcon, this has just been a little blip, like this is just you know, it's almost like you could write a whole bunch of other stories about the Maltese falcon.
Speaker 3: You could have you know, the story.
Speaker 5: Of the of the first guy getting it, then you can have the story of the pirates who stole it, and then you've got a story later on. Like it's just this, this endless mcguffin that goes through a bunch of different stories. This is just one little blip and it literally never even was involved in this story, Like it was never part.
Speaker 1: Of it, the actual multice fealcon It's a true mcguffin. The conversations I have at the end about the fall guy and they try to Wilma and who gives you know, like it doesn't have a whole lot to do in this movie. But I have to say the scene where he's kind of basically looking down and tears are welling in his eyes.
Speaker 4: He's seen a lot.
Speaker 1: You see a lot of misty eyed actresses from that era, but very, very rarely do you see it coming from a man. I'm not saying that never happens, but we are used to seeing it more from women. Let's have a listen to Gunsel considering the idea of using Wilma as the fall guy.
Speaker 8: That you're not quite evil to him.
Speaker 7: I'm in this up to my neck that when I've got to find somebody a victim when the time comes.
Speaker 2: If I don't, I'll be it.
Speaker 7: Let's give him the gunzo he actually did shoot Thursby and Jacoby didn't. He anyways made the order for the part. Look at him. Let's give him to them.
Speaker 3: By gad.
Speaker 2: So you are a character that you are.
Speaker 8: There's never any telling what you will say or do next, except that it's bound to be something astonished.
Speaker 2: Why it's our.
Speaker 7: Best bet with him in their hands the police.
Speaker 3: Right, dear man.
Speaker 8: Can't you see that if I even for a moment thought of doing such a thing, that's ridiculous. If your thoughts will me here just exactly as if you were my own son. Really I do. But if I even for a moment thought of doing what you propose, what in the world would keep Wilmer from telling the police every last detail about the folk and at all let him talk.
Speaker 2: His head off. I'll guarantee you nobody will do anything about it.
Speaker 3: Well, Well, what do you think of this woman? Mighty funny?
Speaker 1: Might be funny, it's it's i mean, pretty green streets, so good that the cast is all They're all really hard.
Speaker 3: I think everyone is.
Speaker 5: Everyone is amazing, even even the kid playing Wilma is, you know, turning it on and that moment, like the crying, You're just like, oh, he knows that that's it, like his his time is up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he you know, I imagine he fed to the wolves. Yeah, I imagine he's been. He's been you know, cared for by by Goodman. However you want to interpret that. But I imagine he loves him like I I in my head he's in love with with Godman because he's living this life and he's felt cared for, Yeah, to be to be tossed aside like that, and he says. Goodman says, you know, you're like a son to me, but I can always have another son. There's only one Maltese falcon, Yeah, rutal.
Speaker 3: It's pretty full on.
Speaker 1: And that whole I think that scene, I mean, that whole last scene.
Speaker 5: Made me think of Omar in the wire and his procession of boyfriends who all get kind of yeah, thrown on the wind.
Speaker 4: We loved so much. We almost called our third child Omar.
Speaker 1: We thought, you know, drug dealing vigilantes, what we.
Speaker 4: Were going for.
Speaker 5: I love that that was a serious discussion was.
Speaker 3: Coming down the stairs.
Speaker 1: Mary asked, is so good, and and then I just wanted to point out that she very well known in the in she was a child actress, had grown up, had become a bit of a fighter for the gossip. Mags was actually having the fair with John Houston while this film was being Oh Wow was being made, and she she had an unfortunate incident where there was a custody battle going on with her and her ex husband and they read out her diary, which contained like quite detailed sex. Her sexual exploits were read out and became quite a thing. So it'd be interesting when you when you saw this in nineteen forty one, you'd be knowing who asked to as much as we see, you know, you know, I commented earlier that I was expecting to see more of a bombshell, But they would have had a different kind of yeah, subconscious kind of take on it being Mary Aster walking through that door.
Speaker 5: And so I guess there would have been that idea of like, oh, yeah, no, she's she's a liar, because I've you know, she seemed like better wooden melt in her mouth, but I've heard about her diary entries. Yeah, It's like it's like when they're first cast Robert Danny Jr.
Speaker 3: As Iron Man.
Speaker 5: I thought, oh, this is genius because in the comics he's an alcoholic, like he's, you know, got this terrible drinking problem. And you know that's obviously the road they're going to take, because we all know Robert Danny Junr. From throwing imaginary rats out of his car when he's off his face, like smoking ice and going to Disneyland, and that's what I thought they were going for. And then they never ran with that storyline in any of the Marvel films, and I was like, well, that's wind. That's also why I think we believe Elizabeth Moss in any film where she is kind of being held hostage, like The Handmaid's Tale of the Invisible Man, because it's like, oh, yeah, of course she's a sign.
Speaker 1: Oh they're coming after you, that your phone, your phone will be tapped by a time we hear Adam Richard.
Speaker 3: I've said plenty worse than that thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, I know, I know that's better scratching the surface. There was talk of a sequel being made. The author wanted five thousand dollars, just eighty thousand dollars in the modern day, so they went at that Peter green Street wins the so win the Oscar gets nominated for the Oscar. In this it doesn't, the movie doesn't win the Oscar. How Green is My Valley wins the Oscar. I would argue that potentially this is a better film, But there's also is a ninety to forty two Oscars obviously the year after, but Citizen Kane also and loses only wins only wins an Oscar for the screenplay.
Speaker 5: Now, I think the reason How Green is My Valley ran away with the Oscars that year is because like it's this like the start of America joining the war, Like it's you know, yeah, it is. It is a it's it's like, let's vote for something that's nice and pastoral and that is, you know, nothing like anything that's going on.
Speaker 3: In the world.
Speaker 5: Whereas Caine and the Falcon dark films with you know, dark motives and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're absolutely right, like this this does represent a new kind of filmmaking. And we've mentioned a couple of times, is it like the birth of film noir. So it sort of felt like Donny Darko or something. Back then it sort of felt like something so you know, dark and strange and you know a little bit scary in a way.
Speaker 5: Or even pulp fiction like it would have been like just a complete change of paints.
Speaker 3: It's like, what is this crazy movie?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because everything was so bright and and you know, glamorous, and so this was a shock and so you know, knowing that, you kind of go, yeah, well maybe, you know, sometimes it takes the Oscars, you know, the Academy Awards a while to catch up with film trends. So before we finished, let's have a listen to the final couple of words, which are iconic spoken by the great Humphrey. Breakup.
Speaker 2: There's another one for you.
Speaker 7: She killed Myles, and I've got some exhibits, boys, guns, one of Cairo's, a thousand dollars bill I was supposed to be bribed with.
Speaker 2: And this black statuette here that all the fuss was about. It's a lot of it.
Speaker 7: The little playmate, he looked broken, hided now, but when he heard Gutman story, he thought he had me got it out. So well, should we be getting down to the hall, Perry, what is it the stuff that dreams are made of?
Speaker 1: Huh? And then she gets taken down the elevated he walks down the stairs.
Speaker 4: Nobody wins.
Speaker 1: But the stuff dreams are made out of, Like this was it's paraphrase from The Tempest, I think Shakespeare, But it's just one of those things we say now, the stuff dreams are made out of. It's like Rove mentioned and gone with the wind when Vivian Lee says, you know, tomorrow is another day, and that was like that was a scene as a very new kind of poetic thought, and this is something we use day to day now. Yeah, it's quite incredible to see, like the birth of it.
Speaker 5: And I love I love that it's got two meanings. It's like it means the you know, if you found the real multice falcon covered in jewels, it's like it's worth so much. It's you know, that's the stuff that dreams are made of. But also this woman and that he obviously thought he could have had something with even though he was borried she was gonna shoot him one day. Like she's the stuff dreams and made out of. So it's yeah, it's a really great final line. Yeah, if we don't really get those much anymore. Final lines and movies now it's usually a final image or a final or you know, some ridiculous after credit sequence of Bruce Campbell punching himself in the face, or it's you know, it's something like, we don't get those, you know, classic moments at the end of a film where you go, oh, that's that's kind of a punch to.
Speaker 3: The gut a little Yeah.
Speaker 5: You on television a lot, Yeah, but in cinema now it seems it needs to be a big thing that happens at the end.
Speaker 1: Oh, there is a great line like that they tend to then it'll be another two minutes of imagery, like you say, of a character then driving away, you know, and that could be beautiful.
Speaker 4: Then that can absolutely work.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it is interesting that we don't have those classic lines and then kind of finished there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the end, it's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Adam Richard, this podcast comes with homework. I very much appreciate you doing this, Like, I'm glad you enjoyed it, because when I watch it the first time, like I said, I was a tiny bit underwhelmed and I thought, oh, jeez, I hope I haven't dragged you into watching something that you hate.
Speaker 4: I'm really glad i've seen ITV. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed more a second time and enjoyed it even more now that we've even spoken about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so great. I want to watch it again. I want to see the other two because this is the third time they've made this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know with Benny Davis, which she said is terrible, like she hates it.
Speaker 1: Well, we must see it.
Speaker 5: But I love that the third time you've made something it becomes a classic, whereas now if you made something for a third time, people are like, why are they making that again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, mate, keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 4: So great.
Speaker 1: It's been it's been too long since we've been able to have a chat. And like I said, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 3: Oh no, thank you. That was fun awesome.
Speaker 4: We'll catch up, sir.
Speaker 1: There we go the Maltese Falcon with Adam Richard. I think it's one of those moments where I actually kind of started enjoying the movie more. In hindsight, I did watch it twice, and I enjoyed a bit more a second time, and then talking about it with Adam made me enjoy it a little bit more. He really enjoyed going through that with Adam. Very funny man. Check out his podcast. Adam Ritchard has a theory and he also does a podcast involving Mariah Carey. I forget what it's called, but it's Adam has always been obsessed with Mariah Carey and it makes me laugh so much. So check that out. And yes, whenever you see get a chance to see Adam Richard live, go and get there because he's he's so great, so funny. Some Cosway studios who helped me put all this together. Had you seen Maltese Falcon Derek? No?
Speaker 3: I hadn't. However, here we go.
Speaker 9: However, when I was getting the clips ready for this one, I recognized a voice.
Speaker 1: Now, Peter Law Yeah, Peter Laurie, Peter.
Speaker 9: Laurie, and I've heard him somewhere before, and then I know what it was. His voice was used on an album that I was obsessed with in the very early eighties, and it was pretty unusual. Everyone else was getting into The Cure and Duran Duran or whatever. But I had this album called by John and Vangelis, John as from Yes, Vangelis who's recently deceased, and it was called The Friends of Mister Cairo, and the puzzle pieces all just came together. Wow, and I realized that that album had clips from the Maltese Falcon in it, So I've somehow been connected with it.
Speaker 4: You it's funny because I name Peter Lurie, but I didn't really.
Speaker 1: I remembered with there an episode of It's a Date that I wrote, and it was a really fun episode with Rove and Adrian Pickering and and and Sean michaele And he's kind of like love Triangle kind of episode. And and Sean mackayleff played an actor who was a thespian but it was working in the like Dracula circuit and and and he was was Hungarian.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's completely a lot of Sean.
Speaker 1: You know, Sean put a lot of you know, the content into his character, and I really built up that character. It's really funny. And he mentions Peter Laurie. And remember at the time, going Peter Larry, I must look him out one day and and so I was kind of aware of I knew he was like, you know, a bit of a thespian legend, but to see actually to see him in this, uh, he was he was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: He was great. He was great. Hey, if people love the podcast.
Speaker 1: You can send us an email at yasny Podcast at gmail dot com. Love to hear hear from you, but we also love to hear you, and you can do that by following the links on our page and getting on the speak pipe Derek.
Speaker 9: Exactly, speakpipe dot com, Forward Slash Yasni yas.
Speaker 1: And Why and we actually have one right now from Naomi.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much for your wonderful podcast. It's great to hear people discuss movies. I don't have anyone in my life that likes to discuss them as much as I do, so I really appreciate listening to you, and especially listening to you guys discuss Parenthood, because that's definitely one of my top three movies. It was the first time that I can remember anyway of seeing our own family depicted on the big screen, of a single mum with two kids amongst a family that was what would you call it, nuclear normal, that had the father and mum and money and was cure, and the way they all seem to ignore the fact that she was maybe struggling a bit or you know, they still got her to look after Grandma, and they still got her to do everything even though she had less help, she had less money. You could see it. They still no one offered to help with Gary. Were also just caught up in their own little worlds, but quite happy to you know, privately, look down it was. Yeah, it's just a great movie just to see that that struggle. I guess it has to be a lived experience to really understand how well that was written and how realistic it was or it is, especially if you come from that type of family and that Oh, please forgive my rain parrot. Okay, anyway I could bang on for ages. Thank you for you work.
Speaker 1: Go pies, Go pies.
Speaker 4: Indeed, Naomi and your rain.
Speaker 1: Parents are lovely app Actually that tells you when the rain's coming, and maybe there's a downpour on your coming your way now, Imi, hopefully you you're undercover.
Speaker 4: That's a lovely message.
Speaker 1: Derek and we have a great reaction to Parenthood, which we did with Cameron James. I really enjoyed watching that episode and it just reminds me. Nami's message reminds me that, you know, how powerful movies can be, particularly if if you can relate to him on a life experience level. I don't know for sure, but it seemed like maybe Naomi was insinuated that she might have been like a single mom, or maybe she was raised by single mom. I don't know, but Diane Weese's performance in Parenthood is so so wonderful and yeah, it's one of my favorite performances in a movie comedy.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: Thanks no Imi, and if you send us your messages, any questions you want to whack in there to our speak part, we'd love to hear from you. It's being really great to add this to the show this year. We've got more episodes coming up for the We've got a few more to get through for this season. Season four of you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet next week on the show. I did say at the start of the season, I want to bring new voices, and we've had people like Beck Charwood, Alex j Alexi Toleopolis, amongst others. Cameron James and we're going to have another new voice is a rising actor. I work with him on How to Stay Married and he was in an episode in the first series where he well, he had to do something. He had to drink my character sperm. Anyway, it's a long story and it's all in the episode. Jackson Tozer, who was also in Mister in Between. He's got a film out with Stephen carry a short film called Hatchback, which is doing wowing the sent Kilda Short Film Festival right now. And from the Maltese Falcon we are traveling into the future to nineteen eighty four for James Cameron's seminal American sci fi classic with Arnie the Schwartzenegger and Linda Hanwell. And of course it's a Terminator. We cannot wait to discuss that so much, to discuss what a landmark movie the term matter is and Jackson Toza is going to be a great bloke to chat about it with. Until then, take care of each other. Bye for now, and so we leave old Pete save Fan Soult and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.