Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. Hey one's day ones and all the ones in between. It's Flex and Frooms. We're gonna get to a podcast because we're running late. Okay, Flex and Frooms on Caita. The Internet has coined it, however, we will steal it as per It's Barefoot Boy Summer twenty twenty three. I don't know about you, Flex, but walking around the city, why am I seeing men? Gentlemen?
Speaker 1: Am I seeing men? Why?
Speaker 2: Fray tell men not wearing shoes in the city. It's becoming a trend Sydney City. Reading here in The Cut New York actually about same thing.
Speaker 1: So you haven't seen it with your own an stolen the data from the Cut and New York based publication.
Speaker 2: I did see it my local cafe the other day. A man was wearing barefoot. We are in a beachside location. I will be fair, but he had no business not wearing shoes. It goes on talking Jacober Lordie shoeless braving the La streets on a coffee or musician Mike Sabbath aka Barefoot member of Sean Mendez Smoothie Squad. What are all these words. In spring twenty twenty three, the Italian brand Etro sent male models down its runway wearing short shorts, kaftans, breezy blouse ons, paired with feet as naked as the day they were born. No mind, I say, I'm over it. Put your feet away, Okay. Callouses are a real thing. My mum said to me, you need to stop wearing crocs because your feet are cracking.
Speaker 1: She said.
Speaker 2: Cracked feet is not the look of the twenty twenty three girl freem Indy. I did see comedian Eloi's f toss Do a story about how people who walk around barefoot like think that they're so hot and cool, and it's like, listen, shoes, let's get some shoes. I think the idea is that people think that they're so cool.
Speaker 1: It's a statement. It's a statement.
Speaker 2: Put shoes back on, is what everybody's saying.
Speaker 1: Do you think the Barefoot Boy summer ethos is comparable to the gen Z camera shake? I'm not making content. I just ended up on this app, and I will show you that by shaking the camera and a bresplay shake place speak.
Speaker 2: I don't even care that I'm outside. I just rolled out of here, got onto the train, walked into a cafe, and now I'm sitting with my feet crossed like a little dog.
Speaker 1: The crowd goes wild. Thank do you hear them? There it is? There are two new love languages. I don't want to be the person who's like in case you don't know what a love language is. I would hope you've done the work, however, and the research however. Doctor Gary Chapman, New York Times bestseller of the Five Love Languages, The Secret to a Love That Last teaches us that every individual has a preferred way they want to give and receive love, whether you know it or you don't know it. But a big part of it comes from where you weren't given love, or where you were when you were younger, how you were rated and nurture, et cetera. Now, up until recently, the five key love languages, it's physical touch, quality, time, acts of service, words, affirmation, and receiving gifts. So ideally you would know which is your preferred primary love language. You could resonate with all of them. You could be like, I want all of them, but generally there is one that you ultimately give with ease and like to receive with ease. For instance, I like acts of service. Obsessed with people doing things for me, even things I don't even need, because I think it takes a certain amount of care and consideration for someone to do something for you. Yes, I'm obsessed with it, I would say. In terms of giving, I'm a words of affirmation type of person. I'm going to tell you how I feel about you, that you're great, that you speak well, that you're empowering.
Speaker 2: Call for me.
Speaker 1: How do you give them a receipt?
Speaker 2: I also give words of affirmation, I would say. And I like to get physical touch with I don't get enough of. So when this spake finishes, I'm going to read downloaded dating up. Guys.
Speaker 1: I just thought that when you were speaking.
Speaker 2: It's a real talk guys.
Speaker 1: You need physical toutch Okay. Look, and this is why I'm a hugger. And this is why I feel like I can grow to be that out of touch person who doesn't realize that you can't go around hugging in cheek. I do that now, No, babe, I was a menace during COVID. Let me tell you, let me tell you spread up anyway. E Harmony recently did a survey, and they revealed that twenty six percent of people have changed the way they expressed love in a romantic relationship in the past year. Why switch up? How that's more than a quarter of people. Have you checked in with your partner recently? They could be switching up on you. Also, twenty five percent similarly have changed the way they prefer to receive love again switching up? We need to do as I suggested, the quarterly yearly relationship check ins. Are we still on the same page? Do you like me, like I like you? Et cetera, et cetera. Now, nearly half of the people who participated in the survey so that they weren't really sure if the five categories that currently exist really encompass how they want to give and receive love, and they would prefer if a few more be integrated or incorporated. The first is shared experiences. So this sounds a lot like quality time, but it really isn't. It's more so like adventuring and expanding yourself with someone. So a lot of the times quality time turns into we sit on the couch and watch Netflix together, we exist in the same room, we share our home. But this is more so Can we build together, build tasks together, do something exciting or expansive together. Can we go on a hike together. Can we build a puzzle together? Can we go in an escape room together? Can we go on a holiday together and actually spend time that is different. Also, the other love language is emotional security, which I think is a red hot one. It's feeling emotionally seen and taken care of, and a lot of people find that, you know, they would assume that being there physically is enough. I've definitely had circumstances with friends and family and partners where I've thought my physical presence was enough and emotionally I didn't have to show up like I'm here, I know we're hanging out. No no, no, no no no. So signs that you are emotionally secure or connecting with people is that you feel not a lot of shame to ask questions, to share things about yourself. You can talk through your feelings quite easily. You feel like it's always safe to express what you need and when you need it and how you need it, which is cool because when you reflect on some of your closest relationships, I'm sure you'd be like, yeah, I do feel emotionally secure. Actually, there's literally no issue with being like, hey, babes, I need a little something from you. Can you help me out?
Speaker 2: That is my love language. Yeah, you're a tea.
Speaker 1: I want to get it through.
Speaker 2: I want to get that be real.
Speaker 1: You keep saying be real, and I feel like it's because you want to say the fin for real, but you don't want to swear on air, and now it just seems like you're a company chill for be real. So I feel like every.
Speaker 2: Time every time I say my brain's split, I meant to see the art fragments. I need to say be serious, serious or be for real?
Speaker 1: Yeah, be real? Okay, for real.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Keita. I want to know FLEXI are young people in Australia really unhappy? It's a bit of a somber note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really took it right down.
Speaker 2: As you know everybody, Tuesday's my least favorite Daisy, that's when I'm bringing the terrible news. So, according to the results of the thirty ninth Australian Unity Well Being Index, which is from Deacon University and Australian Unity, People Unhappy.
Speaker 1: The people between the age range of eighteen to twenty five recorded a seventy three percent satisfaction rate, which is a whole percent lower than the next age group, which means that statistically speaking, young people are less happy than older people. I think what's getting to be really frustrating is that our understanding of happiness is so intangible and studies like this are so binary and specifically you're happy or not happy? Could you be happy? I don't know how much happy I've got in me? Do you know if I knew for sure concrete that the happy that I've experienced seeing Childish Gambino perform in twenty eighteen with all my friends like, we're yelling, we're squealing, people are pissed off next to us. If I'd known that was the happiest I could get, then I would say, Okay, dated, I'm not peaking, not peaking the level. How do I know how much happier I can get? And then what is it based off? Do you know what it is? Though? And I hate to be the person who says this, but introspection without guidance does not make for a happy person. How do we get these guided Why all our philosophers say it, Why our our comedians say it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I totally agree. You need routine, and some would say you need to get up and see the sunrise for these ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, human.
Speaker 2: Did a couple of humans were still and focus another fantastic book. Yeah, I will say for me, I would say personal connections are the route to happiness. However, how do you cultivate them?
Speaker 1: You need spare time, I personally feel and I struggled with it a lot myself, of not growing out of high school dynamics and realizing that the core factors you need to be happy won't be provided for you. So in high school, all your friends were in the same place. You had to be there every day. Your parents paid your phone bill. The food was already made for you, and if it wasn't, you could easily go and source it from the cupboards. You didn't have to buy toilet paper, you don't have to buy mental products. Everything that you needed to cultivate a happy life was there for you, whether or not you realized it. And I think a few of us are finding it difficult to bridge the gap between that reality and our current existence. We're still waiting for someone to make it better. We forget that there was so much intention in how we did stuff. Then it's like, oh, we hung out all day, we went to park parties. We forced ourselves to live. We were so obsessed with like living and right now we and I'll speak for myself, I can be so passive assuming that the fun things will happen. I also think that out of a score of one hundred, Australians average a seventy five cent satisfaction rate, knowing that it's the lowest it's ever been. However, seventy five out of one hundred, it's not that low.
Speaker 2: Bab Yeah, I mean it's not that low.
Speaker 1: I'm quite happy.
Speaker 2: It's giving.
Speaker 1: It gives.
Speaker 2: Always on the ABAC looking at new and interesting fand angle articles, there was this ABC article about women leaving their jobs to seek well being, creativity and freedom as a way of life.
Speaker 1: It I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's based on a study from Deloitte, which, as we know everybody, we're still not sure what it is, but we keep coming back to their studies.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty three Women at Work reports sounds fake.
Speaker 2: No, And they surveyed five hundred Australian women and they found that sixty percent left their jobs in twenty twenty two, which is more than twenty twenty and twenty twenty one combined, and they cited a lack of flexibility around working hours as a reason for leaving. Declining physical health and an ability to switch off from work wall also contributing factors because thirty percent of women report ongoing burnout.
Speaker 1: These are quotes from the article by Life Please, I mean no plagiarism here, direct quotes from the article that.
Speaker 2: Was giving like UNI shooting learning journalism like the back of their eyes are faltering as they try and read a Telly prompt.
Speaker 1: But I said what I said, and it's true, and I love it. I love this idea that people are getting out of that commiserating, paralytic phase of knowing what is wrong and now feeling the ages to do something about it, even if it's not the best decision, the right decision, but it's a step away from what is keeping you in this like depleting state.
Speaker 2: Some of the comments said, yeah, it must be nice.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it must be because what how happen to get it? Burn out? Burn out? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Everything everything comes at a cost. But I thought that was really cool and I relate to that. I can imagine, you know, one day, getting a hobby when I'm a bit older, do the child rearing obviously, and continue with the part time job, and then you know, I'd really like to have a fun retirement that involves maybe not camping, but perhaps going to lots of midday movies on the cheap ass Tuesday five. Okay, Mattinee, Yeah, it's give me Mattinee with Little Chocop and see. I'm on the other end of I want to say spectrum, but it's anything really a spectrum.
Speaker 1: It's just the thought I'm having. I don't know if it's on the other end of your spectrum. Stop diagnostic techniques. Can you not just have a thought? Everything is had an epiphany? I had a okay that I don't know if the other end of now is guaranteed to happen. So right now we're in burnout rise and grind era, and the other side is where we get to be post burnout and we've got time to live and enjoy it. I don't know if that's ever coming. The system that we're in and the positions that we hold. As much as it pains us emotionally and mentally to do our jobs. Sometimes it also benefits us greatly, and I don't think we can really have the benefits without the suffering in the way that we benefit.
Speaker 2: Now always with the suffering flex, do you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? So I like this idea of people just you know, being like, I'm nipping it in the bud. I don't even know if there's gonna be a way for me to balance both. I'm getting out. It's sexy and it's hot, and I feel like the phrase it must be nice. Let's use that for things like being born with good skin. Yeah, no, it must be nice. Yeah, it is nice to not have pause. It's fantastic. Okay, I'm freaking. Let's not use that for man made issues. Yeah, okay, capitalists, I agree.
Speaker 2: We live in a society.
Speaker 1: Can we limit a Friday? You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.