Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Now, over the weekend, you had a really big weekend. Your son turned two, and I can't believe how quickly it's gone. I remember when it was a big thing when you surprise us all on the show that you guys your wife was expecting your first child. Doesn't fail that long ago, like long ago at all, and then it must it goes Honestly, now it's a dad or two with a seventeen or nineteen year old, it goes so quickly. But in the first year it fails. When everyone's saying it's going to go very quickly, it doesn't go galacial. It's so slow.
Speaker 2: But now every couple of weeks, sometimes every second day, he's showing you something new that he's learned, and you can't believe how quickly it's going.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I used to find that you'd go to work when they were asleep and you'd come back from doing the breakfast show and just in like twelve hours, there's something different about them.
Speaker 2: Can I share with you something beat great bit of wisdom that was passed on to me by a friend over the weekend. He's got daughters are nine and seven. He told me about this thing he heard about called the second space, where if you think of work or wherever you are in the day is the first space, and coming home is the third space. The intention you set in the second space is how you show up at home. So for most people would be on the car, in the car journey, right on the way home. And he said, I always want to show up in that third space in the best way. Come through the door, mirror my kid's happiness to see me be the husband to my wife that I said I would always be. And I don't want to bring in the annoyances of the day, like if I was irritated at work, I don't want to bring that through the door, or if something's been bugging me, I don't want to burden my family with that. And I've been thinking about that since he told me about it, and I love it, and I really tried to embody it. I was away in the Gold Coast this weekend, so as I got through the door on Sunday, tired from the flight, but on the inn the car on the way home, I was thinking, you know what, I want to burst through this door. I want to give that energy to Gordy. I want to see that reflected back in his face. I want to give that to Bianca. And I don't know. It's just something that really valuable that I took away with me from what my friend said. And it's an intention that I'm trying to set every day when I see him, whether he's coming home from daycare, I'm coming home from work. And the first instance of coming through the door and the intention you set and the moment that you're making with them.
Speaker 1: How can I use that today when I see my seventeen year old daughter when she comes home from school. I think that's a lovely thing because so much a parent and advice in it. It's all around the doing, the tactics, and that you actually forget most important by is how do you want to be? Yes, And there's a choice how you want to be before you are about the doing. They pick up more from just how you are. Your energy way more important than because you can be spending time with them. But if you're distracted or angry about some conversation happen to work and you're still fantasizing if you have said that or that would have happened, they pick up on.
Speaker 2: That's this conversation started because we were talking about how much our kids are just always perceptive of us and how much they pick up that we're on the phone a lot because you just got to reply reply in an email and that's what they've seen all the time. Is yeah, that you're really paying attention to the phone and not to them. So on the car on the way home today, before you get home, if you have kids or whoever you spend your time with at home, have a think in the car, in that second space, how you want to show up at home and have that think of what you want your intent to be and come through the door like that.
Speaker 1: That is beautiful, mate. As much as you know the one, it's the most important job in the world to be someone's parent. It is. It's as the most choice one as well, But it's a journey of you learning as much as you teach that thing. I've learned my biggest learning points in life have all come through being a dad. I didn't know that. I thought it was all in the teaching how you meant to show the medicine. You learn way more about life yourself, the areas where you need to unlearn and let go as well. The biggest changes I've seen since knowing you eight or nine years have been since you've been a dad.
Speaker 2: They are little yodas. Yeah, teach you so much.
Speaker 1: They're the biggest mayors you ever find. I have something for you. So yesterday I went back and I listened again to that amazing poem you wrote when You're about to become a dad. Yeah, it's a beautiful poem Jack wrote right on the It was a couple of days before you left the show to go on paternity leave about what you wanted to become becoming a dad, and I wanted you to have a listen back to it. We've also put some of the lovely stories that you've shared on the show because one of the many great things about doing what we do is this is a kind of diary or a journal at times that we speak out loud. Sometimes when you hear it, Bauck, you cringe, but other times you hear what you were going through at the time. So we put some of the stories that you've shared the last two years, Jackiet Boy, and you've really have shown up being a dad, and I look forward to seeing how the journey goes as you walk along your side, walk along young Gordy's side over the next couple years.
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 1: But having listened to this, I think you really I think you've really done what you set out to do. It's been amazing to see anyway, having listened to this.
Speaker 2: It's my first time being a dad, it's your first time being alive. You can ride up on my shoulders. I can see the world through your eyes. My son walked for the first time, catching bugs, building sand castles, jumping in puddles and skipping stones. Know that from now until forever, you'll never be alone. You didn't prepare me for what it would be like to drop him off at daycare for the first time.
Speaker 1: It was so hard.
Speaker 2: I just can't tell you how hard wrenching it is. Make jokes, make music, make mischief, live your life with joy. I think this could be his first word. What's this? Apple? Apple? Harbor big dreams for your future, but take time to be a boy. We had an impromptu jam session after dinner for about half an hour. We just listened to the whole album and jammed for every song. I will honestly cherish these moments. They're so special. Start things before you feel ready. Jump before you see the landing, life will open doors for those already standing. Mm Ha's got my twenty month old son Gordon with her this morning. She just sent us this text. We're on our way to the museum and Jack's voice just came on the radio. Gordy said, Dad, without any prompting, So cute.
Speaker 1: How did that make you feel?
Speaker 2: It's actually surprised me how much they caught me off. God, my chest is filled with love. You'll take from books and art and music and people, anything that strikes a note. Take the parts you like of me, leave the ones you don't. This year for me, being a dad has really clicked. Him Being the number one priority doesn't feel like something I have to push against or force. It just is, and I'm so thankful for that. Just the joy and the love that he brings to us is all though I need. And with an open heart and a curious mind, soak up everything you can. Oh my God. If I could have told myself two years ago that my most anticipated concert of the year would be The Wiggles at Rod Laver Arena, I wouldn't have believed you. And even if I don't watch a minute on stage, and I just spent the whole time looking at him and seeing his reaction. Find your own definition of what it means to be a man. Congratulations mate, Thank you, mate, thank you. This is the Christian o'commel Show podcast