Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where we get to talk to one of our incredible Shees on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it, though, because this week we got a message and it went a little bit like this. Eighteen months ago, my partner was in an accident and passed away at twenty eight. I'd just resigned from my job as a personal injury lawyer when he died and on top of my world imploding, my financial stress went through the roof. I'd luckily been on a good path financially for a few years before this happened with my emergency savings and had thirty thousand dollars saved. It took eight months for my income protection to set in, and I didn't have cover for psychological injury. I hope that by sharing my story I might help others in need. Money diarists, what, I don't want to call it a journey?
Speaker 2: What a situation?
Speaker 3: Yes, I as you say, zero out of ten? Record?
Speaker 4: No, no, not even zero, like negative ten out of ten?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Thanks, are you? Are you doing okay?
Speaker 1: Now? Oh?
Speaker 3: That's it to be continued even okay? Is that a little hard?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: There's nothing to say that. That's just real shit. I'm sorry, money diarist. But without further ado, let's get into the money Diary and we're shaking it up this year. I'm going to ask you first, what grade would you give your money habits? If I forced you to give yourself a grade from A to F.
Speaker 3: We'd probably say a B. Maybe that's generous, But I'm going to say.
Speaker 2: A B I don't know.
Speaker 4: Let's have a chat and then we'll come back to that at the end of the f So money diarist, talk to me. I want to know a little bit about your money story.
Speaker 3: I grew up in a very low income household, and on top of that and all the challenges that that has for families in that situation, one of my parents I had a gambling and money spending a problem, which effectively meant that my other parent was really the sole income provider and also domestic provider, and that was quite stressful. They did their best with their resources to provide like what opportunities they could for us, and we're really grateful for what they were able to achieve. I actually do say that I am quite lucky in that situation. But it sort of made money a bit of a non topic in our house, Like it wasn't something that was discussed because it was only a discussed in the context of not having it and not being able to do certain things or you know, that other people were doing. I think also there was probably a bit of embarrassment or stigmatization around it, so it just wasn't something that was talked about it and Obviously, parents obviously don't want to talk about that stuff with their kids if they're in financial difficulty. Anyway, when I was in school, in high school, I got a job, a part time job, just to help supplement our household income. But even then there was no discussion about what it is actually meant to have a job and budget and saving and superannation all those things. And school didn't assist with that education at that time because I was in an OP class, and OP classes they you know, look at all complex maths, whereas the non OP classes they actually do deal with you know, money and vegeting, budgeting and you know things like that. So that was I was a little unhelpful. After school, I moved to go to university, I had to sport myself. I lived out of home, I had to move, And that was really where my money education started because it was the experience of having to live through, you know, providing for own utilities and and all that sort of stuff. I was on central whilst working and working part time in studying but clive and often I was really just living week to week. If I did have a little bit of scrapper money that I could spare, I honestly would usually put that into my one of my parents. Disole provided parent their bank account because I knew that they were still struggling. But yeah, I did struggle week tweek.
Speaker 4: Like that's so wholesome that even though you were struggling, you were like, oh, even if I had some dollars free, I'm just going to give it to one of my parents. Like that's so wholesome and so thoughtful. You must be the kindest human ever.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, but you know, the income the income provided parent worked really hard, and this was just my way of being able to help, word could. I then had a few negative experiences. I made the mistake that a lot of UNIE students do, and I got a credit card because you know, banks then just offer them to you anything can go step on for emergencies. But when you're leaving week to week, all of a sudden everything becomes an emergency, and all of a sudden that credit card gets away from you. And then I also took out a loan which I could not afford, and it was because of the insistence of the parent that had the spending problem. They sort of insisted that I get this loan out so that they could do something to surprise the other parent and or obviously lots of red flags and I said no, but they just sort of wore me down, and eventually I was like, you know, fine, I'll take out this loan. You know, they said they would pay it all back and paid back quickly, but that did not happen. And you know, as someone who was living week to week, all of a sudden, I was paying for a very high interest loan for a substantial amount of money. Could not afford it. We already had quite a complex relationship and that just completely destroyed it. And it took me about twelve months before I ended up going to speak to my other parent, letting them know what was going on and take possession of the thing that my other parent had used my money to buy. But I still had to pay up that loan. Eventually they were sort of able to assist. Eventually, you know, we got rid of that loan, but it took years. I spent a lot of money, a lot of stress. I had to go get counseling for it because I was just in a state so lesson learnt, so I didn't have a good run with money after university. I got my full time job, and I started on a wage of like seventy seven thousand dollars, So straight out of UNI, that's a really excellent I.
Speaker 4: Was gonna say, going from being on sentilink, coming from a lower income household, seventy seven grand, did you know what to do with it?
Speaker 3: Thought?
Speaker 5: I did, And I told myself I was going to be smart with that money, you know, I would, you know, let myself live in a better circumstance, but be really wise with that money.
Speaker 3: But look, it just gets away from you. And a couple of years in, as my wage had gone up, I sort of reflected back and realized, oh, my gosh, I had earned all this money, and you know, I actually didn't have much to show for it.
Speaker 2: Lifestyle creepy.
Speaker 3: I got your lifestyle creep for sure. And I guess because I had this bittersweet, reluctant, messy relationship with money, I had thought, well, yes I want to be better, and yes I want to educate myself with money. But I'd been almost too afraid to do those things at that point. So I actually hadn't set myself up very well. So I got myself together and fixed all of that, and at this point I did have the credit card on the loans. That was great. I actually did start saving. I was in a really good you know, for a few years, and it was actually in a really good position. But it does still make me quite sick to look back on those first three sort of years and understand, like the amount of money in that just vanished.
Speaker 4: No, we're not sick over it. We were learning, We were doing the best that we could.
Speaker 3: It was learning, but it's so bad, you know. I could have put myself in a much better financial position, but I didn't, and I've definitely learned from that mistake. I didn't buy things that were you know, I was really scared of buying big things that actually have meaning and I could maybe resell later. But I was absolutely happy to spend on friends and my co workers who earned less and buy them coffees and lunches and all those things, and all of a sudden the money disappears. But yeah, I got my situation together. I was lucky enough to meet my partner, and my partner is really financially mind and he loves talking about it, which is great because it wasn't a thing that I had anyone to speak to about before. He loved talking about all things money, and so we just had this really lots of discussions him. It just well to grow together.
Speaker 4: Did he grow up in a lower income household or like what was his money story?
Speaker 3: Like, I wouldn't say that it was a lower income household, but he was one of many children, and so you know, that has a lot of costs associated with having.
Speaker 4: Budget incomes into playing when you have multiple children.
Speaker 3: And I know his parents did have times when they had quite a lot of financial pressures, but generally speaking, they were quite ed. Their parents were quite educated how about money. His grandfather was quite educated about money, and so this sort of filtered down to him, and so he was varying with his money. He was very frugal.
Speaker 2: What a catch. Oh my gosh, Yes, she is on the money dream boat.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, definitely.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I was in a Leigan position and we were looking at buying a house because we were both earning over six figures. We both had decent savings. He also had quite a lot of investments that he at that time was ready to pull out and you know, just pay off a substantial part of the morgo you know, deposit.
Speaker 4: Upfront, and he was twenty eight and he's got investments, six week income.
Speaker 2: He was getting it done.
Speaker 3: And he had his own side hustle business as well, so sexy to be absolute king about. And I I wanted a career change at that point, so I resigned from my job at that time. But I wasn't concerned about that because in the work that I do in the industry I am, there's a lot of opportunities, So I wasn't too concerned about that. However, literally a couple of days after I finished it up there, he passed away in an accident. So all of a sudden, just a world imploded.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that is literally the worst thing in the entire world to happen. And I'm so sorry you went through that, Like, oh, I cannot begin to imagine. So I want to go back to, like, I guess, the money side of things. Obviously, you guys had a very similar attitude towards money. What were you working towards? So you said, I want to buy a house. You know, he had some investments. What did the bigger future, I guess look like at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we've been together for quite some years at this point, and we were both very financially stable. I guess at that point We've been talking about buying Hustle quite some time, but we were really at that point now where we wanted to make that step where the other circumstances in our life didn't need providing for. We were just ready to go. So our next step was looking at buying house. We were at the time of his passing actually in discussions with brokers. We were going out to see properties, were talking builders, all that sort of stuff. I had actually wanted to be slowed down by an extra couple of months. He was really really keen.
Speaker 2: You're a little bit more conservative, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I've always been really conscious of having an emergency fund. That actually he wasn't because he was like, well, I've got so much savings that's in effect, you know, includes my emergency, but I always have that separate kitty, and I sort of had said to him, look, I probably just want to wait three months just to make sure that that's exactly where I want it so that we can get it. So we were probably maybe like three months or so away from that, but otherwise, yeah, that was sort of a big goal. And then our sort of The second goal was just to continue our investment journey. So the house you buy we were going to live in, and then we wanted to build out sort of stocks and other sorts of things. I'm also really big on obviously building supernovation, so I was quite keen to continue to builop that as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, So the next question on my list leads really well into the next thing I want to talk about about you, and that is what do you currently do for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 3: So currently, I actually have only just returned to work since my partner's passing. As I said, I had just finished up a job, so I didn't have someone to go back to and ease me back into work, and that is a real barrier to returning to work once you've lost someone or had a significant event. So I've only just started a new job at the beginning of this year.
Speaker 2: Congrats, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm still adjusting to that. It's a new area of flaw at a community legal center. It is only part time because I'm easing myself into it as part of a sort of a grief and brievement process. Your brain just shuts down and I have a color neal appreciation for mothers who have baby brain because I never feel like it. I can actually relate to that because I have grief brain, and it is such a thing and it is ongoing. So I'm sort of easing my I've back in work. I'm working part time. It's three days a week. I'm only about seventeen hundred net a fortnite, which is about fifty three thousand gross a year. If I was working full time, that would be about just almost like it's over eighty eight thousand gross full time a year, but I'm obviously doing that in a limited capacity at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how good is it that you found a role I guess in a different what would you say, a different silo of law, so that you can still practice law, but maybe not in the space where you were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, I don't know that going back into that space is an option for me now after what I've been through. But I had been considering maybe making a change anyway, but working at communityleague or centers just really fits with my value.
Speaker 2: So I'm very fortunate totally.
Speaker 4: I told you earlier that you're a super kind person, and then you told me, oh, and I spent all my money on paying for other people's lunches, and now you're telling me you're in community law, like you cannot change my mind on this, my friend, I guess it fits a little bit. I Oh, my gosh, all right, I want to know. So obviously the goalpost have changed significantly. And you said before you have grief brain, which sounds really frustrating because I'm sure you just want to be able to put that aside sometimes and just go to work normally and feel like you can just get stuff done.
Speaker 2: But I want to know.
Speaker 4: Have you thought about what your new big money goals are going to be?
Speaker 3: I have, but that's really difficult now because everything in my life has changed now, so the things that we could achieve before just not realistic anymore. But also I've changed as a person from this, so on top of not having finances to achieve those goals anymore, because my finances have significantly diminished over the last year and a half, I actually don't really know what my life is going to look like moving forward. I'm still working that out. I guess my main goal at the moment now that I return to work is replenishing my emergency find like that is my number one priority. That's always been really important to me. So that is definitely something that I really want to do. Well, I'm not entirely sure as the second step.
Speaker 4: That's okay though, That's why I said, have you thought about it not?
Speaker 3: What are Yeah? Maybe just making sure that I can after I sort of work myself into this job and I feel a bit more comfortable over time. Obviously at some point I would like to increase that to full time. So that's just a bit more of my longer journey in terms of my finances.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good to know where you're at at the moment because sadly this story is going to be really relatable to a portion of our community. I want to know a little bit more though about You said before your finances diminished, you were a personal injury lawyer, and you said that you applied for income protection but you weren't covered for psychological injury. Obviously that can be a really big one, and in MySpace as an ex financial advisor, I'd always talk about IP making sure that we had cover for psych How did you find that out? And what is your journey around personal insurance seances and the necessity for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm actually a huge advocate for this, and certainly after what has happened. But even before my partner's accident, I had thought that I'd had decent ish approach. So I made sure it's through my superannuation fund, which is not always the best place to get your personal insurances. But whilst I wanted to explore external personal insurances, I want to make sure that at least in the meantime I had sufficient through my superannuation. So I'd increase my life insurance policy to reflect my circumstances. I increase my total and permanent disability insurance. It's quite a significant amount. And then I actually did increase my income protection to reflect the wages that I've been earning over the last few years. So I did that actually got four months before my partner's accident. However, my super fund came back to me and said, hey, look, two years elo you had work stress, and work stress is actually not a diagnosis. I've had work stress brief period of time where.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was a personal injury lawyer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and our team had been going through some changes at the time, and so we had a lot on our fate. So I'd been to the doctor and had like a couple of days off work, et cetera, et cetera. It was very minor, it was very short lived. But the super fun said, two years ago you had this, we want another year of clean psychological health again, keeping in mind that's work. Stress is not a diagnosis of depression, of PTSD or anything like that.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 4: It's I was putting my mental health first by even taking that step.
Speaker 3: That's right. I didn't think to challenge it at that time because I thought, all, everything's.
Speaker 2: Going great whatever. Yeah, nothing's going to happen in the next twelve months.
Speaker 3: Nothing's going to happen next twelve months, and you know that I'll be right as rain. Of course, a couple of months later, my partner passed away in an accident. When we applied for the income protection, they said, we will pay you your base rate, but we won't pay the rate that you've been paying because you have had a psychological history. We appealed that because obviously, and the depth of a partner is significantly different, and you know, realistically those protections that the Superannuation Fund and injuries have really that you know, shouldn't include exceptional circumstances like this. So we did appeal, but it wasn't successful and I could have gone to court about it, but it just didn't have the energy too. So instead of being paid at a rate that was like eighty five percent of my income, I was paid at about in my pocket twenty two hundred dollars a month. So it's not that much more than sent a link, to be honest. And you know, if we had bought a house, I would have been in very difficult circumstances. So I'm really disappointed that we didn't get that opportunity. It's really really sad for me.
Speaker 2: But financially it would have been awful.
Speaker 3: That's right. In the eight months before I got the income protection arabel, out of my emergency savings, which I'm so glad that I have, there's such a necessity. I did obviously have to change the way that I spent because I had to plan and my money over that time. I wasn't sure that I was going to get income protection. When I did, they back paid me that amount for the eight months, so that was good.
Speaker 2: That's helpful, but still not enough.
Speaker 3: That's still not enough, and income protection, my income protection is capped at two years, so I'm more than three calls away through that two years. Obviously, other people have circumstances where they're, you know, the injury they suffer, they might be out of work for longer than two years. So you know, I'm lucky that I've just returned to work so I'm within my time limit. But yeah, it's just not great.
Speaker 2: See, that's what breaks my heart.
Speaker 4: And as a financial advisor, I used to harp on about income protection not being good enough through your superannuation fund or obviously the exclusion is not great.
Speaker 3: And if I had a motivatal accident or if so, if I had a physical injury, I would be paid. I'd be getting paid the level that I'm currently paying my fees for. But because I am having a psychological injury, I don't get that benefit that I've been paying for. So that is pretty disappointing. I have to say, I was pretty disappointed in my fund and I am considering changing funds as a result of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would too, my friend, I absolutely would be, especially if they declined to appeal given the circumstances. Can we talk a little bit about the income protection or the insurances that your partner might have had. Was he all sorted in that aspect or what did that look like? Because obviously twenty eight is so young. You just don't think that anything is going to happen, and you just don't prioritize those things most of the time.
Speaker 2: So what did that look like.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we had a lot of discussions about money all the time, and one of those things was also, we need to get a will, We need to write a will. But because we're young and we don't you know, we're quite risk adverse in our lives. We don't have any health issues, we thought, yeah, we'll get to it. It's not a necessity, you know, maybe when we buy a house or set all that. So at the time he passed, he didn't have a will, which has its own complications. His obviously income protexture was a role than if he'd survived. His TVD was not It was at the base level. If he survived, it would not have been enough to support him. His life insurance policy was just the standard through his super fund. We actually have the same super fun and it was very low. So the standard is that it's that default amount. It is quite low, you know, it is six figures, but it's not a lot.
Speaker 2: It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 3: That's right. If we had a house, if we'd had children, it just would not have been enough. I'm not fortunate that we have missed out on those things at all. But it really makes me concern for other people who have a mortgage, who have children, who haven't got their personal insurances at least set up, because it means all the world, and it takes that pressure off you. And it's that security of knowing that if something happens, you've got that to fall back on, and it's appropriate. A lot of people have spoken to since my partner's accident because I'm now I'm so I feel so strongly about this. I talk to everyone I know about this, and more often than not, despite the fact that they are mortgages and partners and their narrative and they have children and sometimes multiple children and dogs and cats and all those things, they quite off and say, oh, I don't have a will, and actually I don't know if I having come protection. I don't know my life insurances, and I don't know what my TPD amount or tumoraw insurance is and I'm just it sort of makes my heart flutter and anxiety for them because the fact is, you know these things can happen to anyone, and you know it happened to us, so it really can just happen to anyone. I think people don't like to think about.
Speaker 2: It because it feels morbid.
Speaker 4: It feels gross to think about your own reality, right, like, no one wants to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's so important just to have that coverage.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, I could not agree with you more in this space. Having worked in financial advice for a number of years before leaving, the amount of stories and you would have been the same in personal injury, like you would just see people go through these to refix circumstances.
Speaker 2: No one expects it.
Speaker 4: Nobody goes out one day expecting all the worst is going to happen today. I wish I had set my will up. I just think it's one of those things that we need to get done as a hygiene factor, because you touched on it before and you said, oh, that has its own set of issues. Not having a will in Australia means you have to go through the Supreme Court to access any assets that that individual had it's not, oh, it just defaults to the partner. That's not the case at all. It is a more than twelve month process, and if they then have any type of significant assets, it can take even longer. So I can't imagine what you have gone through.
Speaker 3: And with managing a stage without a will, it really becomes quite burdensome to the people that are left behind, who are already going through so much grief and trauma and financial difficulty of their own, to then have to find work out how to manage someone's a state without a will. Obviously, without a will, you don't have an executor. You have to apply for letters of administration and just do all these things and it's just so much more complicated than it needs to be. Yeah, highly recommend everyone get one.
Speaker 2: You do not have a will for you, You have a will for.
Speaker 4: Your friends and your family, Like, it's not actually an asset that you go, oh, I'm so glad I have my will for me. It's no, I'm so glad I have my will for my partner, for my friends, for my family that will have to go through this situation should the worst happen.
Speaker 3: That's right, and well, another part of this process is that there's something I just got along long as journey. Even if you have a will, you superannuation isn't covered in your will in most circumstances. And so you know, if you have your life insurance through superannuation, or if you have significant superannuation that you want to leave to your family, it's actually not covered. Even if you do have a will, the superannuation fund can it's our dair discretion as to who they give it to. Yeah, and that isn't it itself another really difficult process. So a lot of people aren't aware of that either, and that has its own challenges.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if you nominate somebody who's not actually a quote legitimate beneficiary, they can decline it and it will have to then go through the state again. So yeah, have a chat to an estate planning lawyer if you're getting a little bit stressy about this conversation, have a chat to a good financial advisor about putting in place your wills and a state planning process is because it's essential.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, I have to say, you know, when you go through that process, I think we've put off because we think it's going to really hard. But once you sit down and you actually knock it out. You realize I've been stressing about that for no reason. You know, the right people will help you put all those things in face, and it actually brings you so much peace of mind.
Speaker 4: And it can actually be quite an empowering process to go through with your partner, as well as somebody who has done that with their partner. It sounds a little bit sappy, but to go. You know, if one day we have kids, who's going to look after those kids? And we have these wholesome conversations about our friends and our families, and I promise it's not the morbid conversation you think it's going to be.
Speaker 3: I actually think it really legitimizes us and validates your relationship. It's such a great.
Speaker 2: Feeling one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I mean ex financial advisor and personal injury lawyer here, Like, we're probably not the best people to talk to this because we enjoy the process, but I just think it's so important. Or at Money direst let's go to a really quick break and then after that, I want to jump back into investments and debts and money habits that you have, So guys don't go anywhere, all right, Money Diarist tweet are back, and we just wrapped a very good chat about personal insurances and estate planning that I think if anyone is listening, needs to follow up. I'm actually going to put a whole heap of links in our show notes today so that you guys can put yourselves in the best possible positions. But money, darist, I want to know, do you have any investments currently? I do?
Speaker 3: And my partner was the reason for this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see king behavior. I told you he was a she's on the money dream guy was.
Speaker 3: I had always wanted to invest, but was a little bit afraid and I was worried that I wasn't diligent enough in my research. But he gave me the confidence to do this. So I do I have a little bit of money in cryptocurrency. Obviously it's a speculative asset. It was actually that that got me confident in having a crack at the investing in real stock.
Speaker 4: You were like, well, if I've got crypto, it can't get much worse, That's exactly it.
Speaker 3: And I, you know, in order to do that, I sort of used a cryptocurrency platform that was similar to rays, so it was sort of putting those little pennies in and watching it do his thing, and I realized, I'm like, oh, like, if I'm doing this, why am I not dealing with real money? So I then invested in ETF. So overall I have probably about maybe just over twenty seven thousand dollars in like EFTs and a little bit of the cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, airpiic that is a very good innings for your age.
Speaker 3: And my superannuation is about eighty thousand dollars, And during my time off work, I always made sure that a portion of my income protection I always allocated that to my superannuation. I con't contributed Oh my gosh, really yeah. It was really important for me that I had some control. You know, I didn't have a lot of control at that point. I didn't know where my life was going. But I wanted to invest in my future, and I didn't know how to do that with my current circumstances. So contributing to my renovation was a way that I was able to feel that and also contributing just a little bit of my income protection to my investments over that time gave me a little bit of a sense of control and building towards the future that I didn't know what would shape up to be.
Speaker 2: You don't know what's going to happen, but you know it's there and you know it's bright.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Oh, that actually makes my heart so happy because obviously those things are small steps in the right direction, but really give you purpose and really help you get through a process that is not very nice. Money Diarist, we spoke about debt before that got taken out in your name, But do you have any other debts?
Speaker 3: No, just my hex debt. So the credit card's gone, the loan's gone, and my hextebt is at about thirty thousand dollars, so only good.
Speaker 4: Debt, only good debt and only thirty thousand dollars. And you're a lawyer, that is a good amount of debt to still have, Like, yeah, killing it money, darist, I want to know what would you think is your best money?
Speaker 3: Have it the emergency fund? Hands down? I just I claiming question that you know. I sort of went back and looked at my planning over the last few years and I always allocated it amount to an emergency fund. So for me, that was like having at least three to six months wages, you know, just in case something happened, I couldn't work or you know, sorry is now, I couldn't access income protection. On top of that, I also had like a little sub emergency account because I shouldn't have taken out private health insurance when I was earning really well, but I didn't, So you know, I always had majorre There's a little kitty there for if something came up for my health as well, that that was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, I want to know where that habit came from, because obviously it's a great habit. Everyone should have an emergency fund. But earlier in the show, you told us that you came from a lower income household and one of your parents had an issue with gambling. That doesn't usually lead towards actually having an emergency fund, because in those circumstances, emergency funds usually get extinguished pretty quickly. So where did that habit come from? How did you know to do this for yourself?
Speaker 3: I think it was unconsciously because of my mystory. So when I did start earning well, I did start educating myself, and I just was always planning for the unknown. Having seen my family, I suppose be in situations where they were quite tight with them in difficult circumstances, their money. It just made sense. I never wanted to be in a position where if something happened, I didn't have something to fall back on. Yeah, it was just an unconscious behavior that obviously was founded in the background.
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, wow, I kind of love asking people, well, how did you come to the conclusion of an emergency fund And it's either I was taught or it was I came out of a situation that I knew I didn't want to be in again, and that seemed like the only logical step.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I was also subconsciously planning for you know, at some point I was going to have a house and if something happened in the future where I wouldn't be able to pay for a payment or you know whatever. But I did have a really good kitty of emergency funds so that I wasn't ever financially stressed. Financial stress is just the worst, and on top of all my grief and bereaement, being financially stressed over the last eighteen months it really has not helped the situation. So I just I've always wanted to alleviate that. Yeah, So I would say, hands down, my best money how it is always having an emergence of fun, and I wouldn't be able to get through the last eighteen months without.
Speaker 4: It one hundred percent. All right, let's flip it. What is your worst money have they?
Speaker 3: I think definitely spending on others. That's not my love language, but it's often the love language of the people that I know, so I spend for them. I spend as a way to say thank you to them, whether it's family, friends, my coworkers, and that tends to bear my money. It sort of flitters off to I think otherwise, though I probably stress about money too much. I think about money a lot. I stress about money a lot, and I really am disappointed that I spend a lot of energy thinking about the worst case scenarios because I would like to have a bit more of a healthier mindset about money and have a really positive attitude about money. But instead I do seem to tend to think about money and stress about money for maybe longer than it's probably helpful.
Speaker 4: It kind of makes sense in your circumstances, though my friend, like the story checks out. It's not a nice thing to go through, but I can see why money would put additional pressure on you at this point in time. Yes, all right, I'm going to quickly recap because I'm about to ask you what grade you would give your money habits again, because I want to see if after having this chat, they've changed. And what I've learned is that you've come from a low income household that did have the gambling addiction in it. You killed it coming out of UNI. You have an emergency fund. You always prioritize that. You told me you have a sub emergency fund. Like you don't just have an emergency fund. You've got a sub emergency fund, You've got investments. You're always thinking about the future. During literally the shittiest period of your life, you were still contributing to your super Who does that except a queen? So do you really still think you're a bee?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I do. I do think there's things I could have can't. I mean, I can improve things. I'm still a little bit afraid of some of the the risks, and I think I still have a bit of a negative mindset. Yeah, be hoping to one day B and A.
Speaker 4: You're going to be an A and GINO. What I think it has a lot to do with money, mindset and changing that and putting your space back into a space where you feel really, really in control, because I can tell that you don't feel that yet, but I can see that you're working towards it, and honestly, I am so proud of you.
Speaker 2: Like the idea that you're.
Speaker 4: Back at work this year, Like ah Queen behavior, I'm obsessed with you. Thank you so so much for sharing your story with us, and I know that our community is going to adore you just as much as I have. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money exists purely for.
Speaker 4: Educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain a p preup financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P T y L t D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine