Speaker 1: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome to another one of our Friday Drinks episodes where we get to celebrate the money wins from the She's on the Money community, talk a little bit about lockdown being extended, and talk about accountability August, which is super fun. So before we jumped straight into that, I wanted to wrap the week so that we could all get up to speed on exactly what you might have missed. Tony Lodge, what did we miss on Monday's Money Diary this week?
Speaker 4: Our money diarist on Monday covered a topic that we've never really broached before from a money diary, and she sent her money Diary in to kind of reach out to the Asian community of She's on the Money and talk about the reality of sending money to your parents every week and kind of broke the stigma, all the thoughts around it being mandatory or that you.
Speaker 1: Have to do it. She kind of explained that she loves doing it.
Speaker 4: She loves supporting her parents and kind of giving them the support that they gave her when she was a kid. So it was actually so Yeah, it was really really cool and just such a different culture to what I experience or you might experience or whatever. So if you're kind of interested in what that looks like, I'd definitely give it a listen because it was super cool.
Speaker 3: I loved it, and I actually got a few dms from people in our community who were like, Oh my gosh, I resonated with that so much because I do that with my family, and a couple of them actually shared photos of their families that they've been sending money to, and oh my gosh, it made my heart so and I just am a bit upset that we hadn't broached the topic sooner, because it seems that there are a lot of people out in our community who are sending money home, and to be honest, how noble is that. Like, it's just something that makes me really proud to know people like that.
Speaker 4: You know, it was really special and, like I said, just something that I've never really thought about or kind of thought. Oh, imagine if you didn't have the money that week, then do you kind of go without dinner because you've got to send money to your parents?
Speaker 1: And she explained, well, actually, no, if I don't have the money.
Speaker 4: My mum goes, Okay, that's fine, you know, so it's not as kind of strict or like it's not like paying your taxes, you know.
Speaker 5: Well, I was just going to say, I lived in Malaysia, right, and there was a lot of chat about what they would call double tax because you get taxed by the government and then I know, taxes doesn't feel like the right word, but like the family takes a cut and the government takes a cut, and they always talked about this double double tax, and then how it is harder for younger people to build personal wealth because you don't build there's no personal wealth, especially in Asian country. It's family wealth, you know what I mean. Like one person wins, we all win. And if you think about even in movies and the culture, you can kind of see that once it's sort of been pointed out that it's like the whole family's rich.
Speaker 6: We had a lot of really great feedback on socials following on from Monday's posts as well.
Speaker 3: One girl I was chatting to she was like, as.
Speaker 6: A person of color, this makes me feel really seen and I'm so excited to see you guys lifting up voices of people, and I hope you can do more of those in the future. And I just wanted to say we obviously are like so grateful and thankful that we get plenty of people sending through their money diaries and wanting to share their stories. But we can only share the stories of people that come through so and like you know, heritage or culture or religion, none of those are prerequisites for being a money direst. And we love hearing diverse stories. So if you do have a story that you would like to share, please send it through to us and outline just a really brief overview of story. We get so many that we aren't able to get back to every single person. I'm really sorry, but we do really try to share a diverse range and the more people, the more stories, and the more backgrounds that we get, the better.
Speaker 3: We're able to do that. Yeah, and that's so special. Like when we get to share stories, it is honestly my favorite part of my week. It is the best part. But let's move on because I could go on about money diaries literally forever. Jessica, back to you. What happened in this week's Deep Dive. This week on the Deep Dive, week spoke about job interviews and how they can be a really scary, really tough.
Speaker 6: Thing if you're someone like me who gets super anxious with those high pressure situations. So we went through a really great almost like a checklist of like things you can do beforehand, things you can do in the interview, any like aftercare or follow up, to make you feel like you're super prepped and super empowered to shine your best light.
Speaker 3: In that interview.
Speaker 6: Because it is a super competitive market and I think there's a very small number of people who love going in for interviews, and even if it's not your favorite experience, there are some things you can do to put your best foot forward.
Speaker 1: I love job interviews.
Speaker 3: How do you love job interview?
Speaker 1: I love talking about myself?
Speaker 3: I was literally about to say, I do not know one person who loves job interviews, and you're like outing yourself before I even ask the question. I do why just because you love talking about yourself?
Speaker 5: Well, in your last job interview, Victoria and I paid for your lunch, So maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: Hey, it was one coffee and we got rained out and then we had to leave.
Speaker 3: Sorry are you complaining you got the job?
Speaker 1: I am all right?
Speaker 3: No revert to lunch, no problems. We'll talk about this later Tony Lodge. But as always, we are going to go straight into our money wins from the community that Ryan John pulls together. Ryan, what if you got this week?
Speaker 5: Rachel Morris has a win, and I think all of us can just nod our heads and go what an absolute lord. I found a dress I wanted for an engagement party for one hundred and ten dollars, and like a lot of people in the group say, you know, put twenty four hours between you purchase, you thought I might just see if I really wanted I'll sleep on it. She went back the next week to look at the same dress. Instead of being one hundred and ten, it was thirty the exact same dress, brand new from one hundred and ten to thirty dollars, so she bought it. It was on sale. Well done, goat job. Zara has a good one. I haven't taken any money out of my savings account for sixty three days in a row. Get it. I love that Rebecca Brown. During lockdown, I was bored, so I started playing around making masks because she's obviously good at knitting or sewing, and just wanted to keep busy. You know, we're all driving ourselves insane at home.
Speaker 3: I would assume sewing. Can you imagine a knitted mask?
Speaker 5: You cop.
Speaker 3: Would just go straight through like me, most useless mask. It's like a crochet the KINI also useless.
Speaker 5: Could I sound any more like a middle aged white guy just trying to explain, Oh, if you just knit it together, you pull off things.
Speaker 3: Just shaking my head, being like, no, Ryan, Yeah, I didn't knit her.
Speaker 5: Great story, Ryan, keep telling him. She thought, since she made them, she saidself a goal of I'm going to make five hundred dollars by selling them on Facebook marketplaces in a month?
Speaker 3: Is it an accountability August goal?
Speaker 5: Five hundred dollars in a month. Five hundred dollars in a month was the goal. But unfortunately that will not be the result because in the first four days she made one thousand dollars. A thousand dollars in four days.
Speaker 3: Way to one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Guys, she could bank account.
Speaker 5: Get the sewing pins and knitting needles out for wild times. Well, and I can confirm I have been in touch with Rebecca today and that one thousand dollars is now up to one thousand and thirty eight because I have purchased some myself and she's sending them to my office. So thank you Rebecca for that. And customer, does.
Speaker 1: She have like a business name that we can give.
Speaker 3: A little can we share it? Can you imagine if it was like triple that?
Speaker 5: Well, she actually said that it's because it's gone wild, like literally in the last week. She can't keep up. But it's in the Facebook group. So let me ask her for some details, and if we get a bit of an update, I can reshare that into the group and a little link or something. Yeah, but she's flat out. I don't want to overwhelm her and send one hundred and eighty thousand people from the group to her website. Her poor knitting hands won't be able to keep up, all right. Melissa said she received a letter from Optis. Now I think this was in the news, so some other people might have had something similar. I received a letter from Optus. They're compensating me a thousand dollars from the NBN that we had two years ago, and I think there was some sort of refund payout. They promised a certain speed that they couldn't end up delivering. It was one of those sort of stories. So, I mean, when you get slow Internet, you kind of just get frustrated. You don't really think about the legalities of it. But she has a check for one thousand dollars as a repayment.
Speaker 3: That's a good money win. That is, that's the money when you didn't see coming like that's the truest of true money wins.
Speaker 5: I believe yeap Georgia Baker, And I don't know if you saw this photo in the group. She took a screenshot of her phone because she was on hold for one hour and fifty seven minutes. Oh my god, to get through to on my Gov and Center link. It's been really hard for a lot of people after countless hurdles and on hold for this long. Today, I finally got my disaster payment for being fourteen days in quarantine because she was in a bit of a tricky spot. I can now pay my rent and bills without touching my emergency fund. What a massive relief. And she did point out though that it would have been more stressful obviously if she had not had the emergency fund. At least she would have then had an option to make and she said obviously we never really want to use our emergency fund, but just having it there, it took a lot of stress off, and that, I guess is the whole point of having it so well done.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 5: Now Kirale Hall will we say. She's a frequent commentor and great value on both Instagram and Facebook. She's all over it money loss. I bought a Nintendo Switch and a whole bunch of games and probably spent more than I would have liked. But I'm in lockdown and I work at Aldi, so I think I deserve it. This is now in my self care slash lockdown win, and I'm taking it.
Speaker 6: So on your here and shout out to everyone who does work in an essential service, all of our supermarket workers and healthcare professionals. Because it's tough, and I know that sometimes it can be hard when you see everyone else working from home, and obviously everything has its own challenges, but those people who are still getting up and going to work every day, you guys are my heroes.
Speaker 5: All right, V you've got your phone in your hand, type this into Instagram.
Speaker 3: I'm on it.
Speaker 5: Bells dot build. So this is Bala. She is nineteen years old and She's just finished building her own house. She's built her own house and she's nineteen years old.
Speaker 6: Stop it when you say she built her herself, do you mean like she literally like nailed it together. I mean there's more than nails holding it.
Speaker 3: Little miss. You sound like Ryan with needing me.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, who's worse, me trying to describe how to make a mask or just describing how to build it one.
Speaker 3: This house is so cute.
Speaker 5: It's beautiful, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Like her kitchen like runs rings around mine. The house is cute. The whole thing has been documented.
Speaker 5: How fun it really is fun? But to answer your question, Jess, there's obviously lots of other trades and specialists and stuff doing it. However, there are a lot of photos of her in the high veers and the work boots on site do it like. I don't know the extent, but she has managed this whole process at age nineteen, way to make the rest of us all feel useless.
Speaker 3: Bell, and you're terrible, And they sink tap in my bathroom doesn't even have hot water. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Bell.
Speaker 3: All right, we are back and today I am so excited about this. Sounds like I'm going into an ad but I'm not. I'm literally going to tell you how to convince the government to give you an extra five hundred bucks in your super which I think is a very exciting thing. I don't think any of you are actually eligible because you guys own too much money. But if you earn under fifty six thousand, one hundred and twelve dollars and you're currently making after tax contributions to your super you could be eligible for the government to make a co contribution of five hundred dollars to your superfund, which is a money win if ever I heard one.
Speaker 5: That's huge. That's huge. So what do people actually have to do gifted?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, you don't just get it unfortunately, why not? Why do I make it hard? It's not actually that hard.
Speaker 1: Just give me the money, please, I promise you.
Speaker 3: It's really easy. But you've got to know about it. You've got to be in it to win it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So if you make an after tax contribution to your superfund, which you don't claim a tax deduction for so you can't claim it on your tax, then you lodge your tax return and have a total income of less than fifty four thousand eight hundred and thirty seven dollars in the twenty twenty one financial year or the twenty twenty two financial year which is coming up, which is fifty six thousand, one hundred and twelve dollars, you can receive the co contribution, And Tony, you know how you said before they always make you jump through hoops and apply for things. This one. You don't actually have to apply for the co contribute, but you do need to make sure that your super fund has your tax file numbers so they know whether or not that you've claimed your super contributions or not. Then once you've lodged your tax return with the ATO who have super fun guys, they will then use that information to work out your eligibility, and if you're eligible, the ATR will just automatically calculate the amount that is owed to you and put it in your super fund. And I think that's really fun. I don't know about you, guys. You don't seem as enthusiastic about this as me, because you're like, oh, it's five hundred dollars? Is it worth it? Yes? Because I have done the mass because well, here we go.
Speaker 5: I'm rubbing my hands together. VI how much is it going to be occur? Right? Right?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: So if we calculated it out and worked out the compounding interest on five hundred dollars, which is an exciting thing to do, because I don't think many of us are like, oh, contributing five hundred dollars to super is it worth it?
Speaker 1: Is it not? It doesn't sound like very much.
Speaker 3: It doesn't sound like a lot. But I promise you over the long term, it absolutely is. And if we work off a base rate of seven point five percent, we're not calculating into this any CPR or inflation, So just f yi. But hypothetically, if you were twenty years old and you got an additional five hundred dollars from the government by the time you're almost ready to retire, Tony, do you want to have a stab? How much is that five hundred dollars worth?
Speaker 1: Five thousand dollars?
Speaker 3: No, it is twelve thousand, nine hundred and seventy three dollars if you calculated out using the money Smart Government website compounding interest calculator, which I think is so fun. But that's only at seven point five percent, which is pretty conservative. And I just think that that's really fun because in retirement, you could have like twelve grand more simply by thinking about.
Speaker 4: It now, which is a pretty bougie holiday. Or oh that's a lot of money.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, car guys, the government will give you a car that they won't hard. That is also, let's remember, on top of your already existing ten percent super contributions that you are making today, which I think is super fun and that is why super super sexy. And you guys don't agree with me, and that's cool. We can talk about something else. But if you are eligible, I would be looking into that, and that is one of the benefits of she's on the money, because we just want to make you money. We want to make you rich.
Speaker 7: So basically, the government's not giving you five hundred dollars astros Asterix. We come five hundred dollars, so you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't say we don't do anything for you. All right, Moving away from supachers. As much as that's a really really exciting you guys don't look as enthusiastic about it as I know you are about our accountability August check in. So let's start with Ryan, Ryan, how are you going with your accountability? August challenge.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, I would just like to say thank you to all the people in that She's on the Money group who have been overly supportive, because, as I posted on Friday saying that I'm not going to spend any money on Uber Eats at the same time as Melbourne going back into lockdown, I feel like we're conflicting errors. And there is literally a thousand comments on this post of people being like, lockdown doesn't count, It's totally fine, get your wife divide.
Speaker 3: Do you need a voucher like we've got you?
Speaker 5: So take this to yourself and to be honest, And I don't know if this sounds like a bit softy, but obviously we're all bummed out about lockdown. But just reading through that thread of people just like making jokes about it and saying it doesn't count, it was actually pretty funny and put a smile on my face. So that was great. But to answer your question, how's it going? Not well? Not well at all, I think, And I mean, what a great cop out. But when you can't really do much during the day and you don't really have much to look forward to, just being able to have some delicious food that someone else cooked is fantastic, and I just want to share my favorite comment. I don't know if it was a meme or a comment or a tweet or somewhere I saw it, but someone said, getting COVID means you might be short of breath. Getting into lockdown means you're now allergic to all the food already in your fridge. It's no interest. So I definitely feel that. I reckon. I've had uber eats once or it's still actually less once, probably used to.
Speaker 3: I think it might have been a few more times than once.
Speaker 5: Ryan John, no once or twice. I think going direct to the restaurant was loop hole. We discussed last week. That may have been exercised again, but I just, I guess more conscious of it as well and not just getting the worst option, even if it's a healthier Uber eat than just always being pizza or burgers or something like that. There are a lot of like I live in Richmond's, there are a good of like really fresh like Vietnamese places and stuff like that. So trying to not still be as fat as I was, But I'm fighting the good fight and still going but loud.
Speaker 3: If you Ryan, congratulations.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I appreciate that, jess What is happening though? Where are you up to with yours? Because you were planning on selling a whole step of things on marketplace, right.
Speaker 4: Which is probably pretty hard if you can't have people coming over.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 6: So I was doing really well week when I had made ninety dollars and then we went bang straight into lockdown, and so I've puperted, shall we say. And I'm selling a lot of stuff on my deepop, which means that I can just post things out to people. I like, pre bought a bunch of like postage things so I don't have to be going out in public super often. I can just drop them with my local postbox. But I'm very excited to report I did a big drop on the weekend with a heap of like new beauty.
Speaker 3: Products that I was gaming this system, Jessica, are you?
Speaker 6: I am currently sitting at a very tidy four hundred and seventy five dollars for week two of lockdown, which is really exciting. There's heaps of stuff, study so much clothes makeup at Jessica Rokey's my deepop handle help a girl out.
Speaker 3: I calm it down.
Speaker 5: If you've got to help me out. I'm at uber eat Slash Ryan John, So I.
Speaker 3: Just started I'm going to start charging you guys advertising fees.
Speaker 6: I feel like being in lockdown has actually been really good for me because I had already gone through and cleared everything out, but because I've got nothing else to do.
Speaker 3: I went through having your job.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like it's not like I'm commuting or I have so much more time. And so I went through my closet again, and I went through my house again, and I was like, oh wow, like there's all this stuff that I missed the first time around.
Speaker 4: There anything left, Jess or are you just like sleeping on a milk crate because you've.
Speaker 3: Jess is just here naked.
Speaker 6: I have nothing left, No, not at all. But yeah, it's been really good, Tony. How are you going? Because you picked arguably the hardest one.
Speaker 4: So I committed to a no spend month for the month of August. It's the thirteenth of August today, so we're about halfway through.
Speaker 1: It's actually going quite well.
Speaker 4: And like Ryan said before, it just makes you so much more mindful. So because in my mind I'm thinking, Okay, I no, I can't spend any money. I'm actually not just scrolling through online or seeing things on Instagram being like, oh, yeah, I am going to click the shop now link, because I'm like, oh, there's just no point. But I did see this coat that I've had my eye on for a while, which was one hundred and ninety dollars and was down to ninety dollars the other day. I've had my eye on it for a while, and I put the ninety dollars into my nose spend month up saver, so I didn't actually buy the coat.
Speaker 1: I saved the.
Speaker 3: Money self Control. Those c is.
Speaker 5: An unofficial layby Oh maybe at Christmas.
Speaker 4: It's just been really exciting actually, like seeing the changes in my habits because of just and being in lockdown as well has been like challenge mode for all of us.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's been really really good.
Speaker 1: I'm really enjoying myself.
Speaker 4: Except I did put something on my story the other day about Dixie drumsticks coming back. My gosh, I don't know, you guys remember those little crackers, And somebody from the community messaged me and said, isn't it a.
Speaker 1: No spend month.
Speaker 4: That's food And I'll be buying the Dixie out of this.
Speaker 3: Stop stop right there. You're going to hold back Dixie sticks from a woman in lockdown?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 3: I want world guys.
Speaker 5: I like how you probably want to scold them, but like, but thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Tony space guys. She looked like she was about to cut someone.
Speaker 4: Instead of me scolding people about my no spend month. How are you going taking lunch to work, Victoria?
Speaker 2: How working from home?
Speaker 1: That feels like another loophole, you'd big brain.
Speaker 3: I gamed the system. I am an official genius. I cannot not have lunch at home now because we're in lockdown, and as of Wednesday, lockdown got extended, so I'm not even going to have the opportunity to slip out of this. So yeah, exactly, I have been eating lunch at home. I can happily report that I am not actually allergic to any of the food in my fridge, which is very good.
Speaker 1: But that has not been my experience.
Speaker 3: No, but that's okay because that's not your month. Like, you can do what you want when it comes to food. And I did buy a cheeky dress the other day, so that's a bit of a money loss, but it's really cute and it'll be good for work, and I calculated my cost per ware Tony so that I'm is that it all work. But on top of that, not only did I wait literally a couple of weeks before purchasing it, I also got some validation by sending a picture to Jess and saying should I buy this? And she said yes? So obviously if Jess yes, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jess controls my finances as well.
Speaker 3: I run a tight ship.
Speaker 5: Can we do an episode VI a deep dive and we'll call it Enablers?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Who is that person in your life that lets you do all the spending you don't need to do?
Speaker 3: And this could like extrapolate out into an entire TV series And instead of having a TV show called Say Yes to the Dress, it's say Yes to Jess and we can just ask Jess for permission to buy things we don't need. Genius.
Speaker 5: I like that. Will that be coming before after Jess's Marketplace manifestations podcast and TV series?
Speaker 3: I think it will probably come as a follow up, but I'm also gonna spinnife. I'm also planning on pitching to Channel nine the Stock It's like the Block, but we build investment portfolios for people and we rate them each week. And I'm hoping to get Scottie Cam.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love Scottie Cam.
Speaker 3: Why did you pick Van Guardy?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: G what's going on there? Victoria? Only if he shows up an his shorts and steel caps.
Speaker 1: Tho talk about superannuation.
Speaker 5: Again, dollars.
Speaker 3: You know what, guys, I think we've done here. We have done our August accountability check in and I think Jess, with that, that is all we have time for today.
Speaker 5: Yeah. V if you want to do the wrap up Tony, if you say some other things, Jess, go get some cold water for yourself made and just pour it all over. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We'll get straight into that. But just before we head off, we would like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal and torrest Right islander peoples. They're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land in which we are able to learn. We pay our respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 1: The advice shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does.
Speaker 4: Not consider your individual circumstances or accountability.
Speaker 1: Augusts on the Money.
Speaker 4: Exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision, and we promise. Victoria Devine is an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management Proprietary Limited ABN three four one three two four six three two five seven AFSL three three nine one five one.
Speaker 5: And if you haven't already joined the Facebook group, there's so many conversations there, people sharing tips and ideas and saving tax, so it's really great you can catch up on all everyone else's accountability August challenges as well. We'll jump on over to our Instagram which is shes on the Money a US.
Speaker 3: And we are off to get Jess a cold glass of water. See you next week