Speaker 1: You guys might remember the other day Britta mitche I was talking about when I was coming to work and how I almost died. And I don't mean to lad so dramatic.
Speaker 2: So painful about it Too's me that was just like a lot like you didn't almost die.
Speaker 1: I did. It was my closest near death experience. I was almost run over in the street by maniac. Okay, I have listen to this, all right, pitchure this I just dropped the kids off a daycare and I had a coffee in one hand, I had my phone in the other hand. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the road. It was a pedestrian crossing, and so, believe it or not, I kind of assume that when you approach a pedestrian crossing, cars stop.
Speaker 2: It's like the Red Sea.
Speaker 1: You think they're just gonna part ways for you to cross it. Out of my periphery, it feels like the car that's coming is coming too fast. I look up and there it is this ninety year old lady in a Mercedes with all her windows down, fanging it straight across a pedestrian crossing. And I was like, this is one of two things. She either probably shouldn't have a license, or she has such little time left she doesn't care.
Speaker 2: So you're rubbishly of the country.
Speaker 1: I was almost rutten down and flattened by geriatric No I was. You weren't looking. It was your fault. You have to look left, right and left, even at a crossing. I don't know it was a pedestrian crossing anyway. Okay, that's not what happened here. So my beautiful mother in law, Ellie, she's moving in with us and she's just come down to stay with us for a little while.
Speaker 2: Love.
Speaker 1: We love Ellie. We've had her on the show many times. And I walked in I hadn't seen Ellie for a little while, and she said, Laura Burne, I have a bone to pick with you. Now. What's happened is that Ellie has recently retired. She used to be a school teacher, so she never ever listened to the pickup before. So we have spoken about Ellie many times on the show. I get to tell stories, I can speak freely knowing that my mother in law is never going to hear. But the tables have turned because now she's listening to every single show.
Speaker 2: And she had some real.
Speaker 1: Feelings about the fact that I was on my phone and crossing it.
Speaker 2: So what did she say to you? She's scolding you?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got scolded like a teenager, like I was a naughty little girl, and she told me how wrong I was. And I still know. I stand by this. I know you shouldn't check your phone when you're near the road, but people need to stop if they're coming to a pedestrian crossing. That's why the lines are there. Laura, you can't constantly blame other people for your mistakes and also take this as a compliment. She likes you. She doesn't want you to die, she wants you to stay married.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, Ellie, Wait wait, Matt's mom's SAME's Ellie, Ellie and she listens to the pick up every day on Producer Grace is just I think, as Ellie called through.
Speaker 1: We've got Laura's mother and Laura Ellie mom, stop embarrassing me.
Speaker 3: If you no, no, no, no, no, you do not listen. I am so really, I'm so crossed, my darling girl, You and now the mother of too beautiful girls to adore you, and you have a husband who'd be lost without you. So tell me please, why you were walking across a road while looking at your phone?
Speaker 1: Yes, Laura, yeah, tell us because I didn't think it's going to be an intervention time, because it was a pedestrian crossing and I didn't.
Speaker 3: Laura Burn, you will stop there because it is not a magical accident free zone with some invisible armor plated protection. You do not realize how many insane drivers are out there who are probably looking at their own phones. Now, you know what, as much as I am cross with you because we love you too much for you to die some ridiculous debt, and I'm not here to pick up the pieces, Lara Burn, No.
Speaker 1: I know, and also Matt would be very sad to lose me.
Speaker 3: What I do think though, I kind of pleased that you've raised it in a way because I think there is a valuable lesson here for young people. They can wear their headphones on the bus, on the train, in the park, skate park, whatever, on the beach, but when you are navigating busy streets, headphones don't have a place.
Speaker 1: Wow, Ellie, I love you to death. You are hopefully not to death. Hopefully I stay alive for a long time. Is what we were talished, But.
Speaker 3: No, you were trying to establish nobody dies.
Speaker 1: You are such a mom through and through. And now I'm a little bit scared to come home, like I'm going to be in trouble in my own.
Speaker 2: Are you scared to interrupt? I want to let Ellie say everything she needs to say.
Speaker 1: I am literally hanging on every single word, and I feel like I'm being scolded simultaneously, I'm like, what.
Speaker 2: Have I been doing wrong?
Speaker 1: Has Ellie been listening to me as well?
Speaker 3: Ellie? Do you have it?
Speaker 2: You listen to the show every day?
Speaker 3: Pree with you, britt Law. You cannot blame that geriatric driving.
Speaker 1: I stand by if someone needs to take her license away. But Ellie, if you keep this up, we'll take you all the way as well.
Speaker 2: I don't get love Ellie.
Speaker 3: Now you must promise me, Laura Burns, that when you approach a road, your mobile phone is not in your hand. Can you promise me.
Speaker 2: That put your hand on your heart.
Speaker 1: I promise Ellie Johnson, mother in law, my lovely mum, that I will not be on my phone anymore. And I also, if I ever have a story to tell, where I think I'm going to get in trouble. I'm not telling on the pick up myself.
Speaker 3: From now on, you know, she's still Ellie.
Speaker 1: We don't have a time where people have to be picked up from school.
Speaker 2: I love you, We love you, Ellie. That is Mattie Jay's mother. Ellie there everyone, Wow, Britt, that was a lot mentioned Laura.
Speaker 1: Speaking of geriatrics the Gold Coast, don't call Ellie that.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm about to tell you about one. The Gold Coast volunteer of the Year last year, has started a petition and written into the mayor to ban something from our Ozzie Beaches, something that I don't think should be banned. And I'm going to tell you all about it after the break, all right, next on the pickup