Speaker 1: Welcome back to my new podcast series, Rage Against the Menopause. Episode two has something for everyone, really, not only women, but those with male partners and kids. Also, because perimenopause and menopause radiates to everyone around you. If you like me and at times really struggling with the symptoms, some days, chances are your support network is looking for ways to help and also trying to understand what's going on with their matriarch. Miserable Magical Menopause features author Alison Daddo. You may remember her as the eighties Aussie supermodel married to actor Cameron Daddo, but she's also a hugely successful author of the bestseller Queen Menopause, Finding Your Majesty in the Mayhem, which touches on the impact of menopause on her marriage and her family unit. It's really helped me and my husband and teenage daughter. I think you'll find it useful also, Alis, in congratulation on.
Speaker 2: Your book, thank you so much, Thank you.
Speaker 1: And can I say the title it's just an absolute triumph. It's absolutely the title is brilliant. How did you come up with it?
Speaker 2: You know it jumped out at me at the very beginning because as I was writing the book sort of towards the end, I just I was just like, I just want women to feel at the end of their menopause or as they're going through it, that they feel like a queen, that they can somehow find the queen, and then that they don't feel like some broken, horrible, washed up old lady at the end of it. I want them to feel so good about themselves. And there is so much mayhem, as we all know often with ferrymenopause and menopause. Not everyone, of course, but it certainly was to me. And I had that title Queen Menopause for a while and then I actually changed it because I mentioned it to my family and my daughter went, so, you're saying that you're Queen Menopause. I was like, oh, crap, no, no, no, no, now I'm not Queen Menopause. I was like, oh, I can't have this going to haunt me that people are thinking that I've claimed myself as the queen. I was like, no, I want everyone to feel like they are, and so I changed it. I think I had miserable magical menopause or something like that, but the publishing company went, nah, it's got to be queen menopause. So I'm glad they talked me back into it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's brilliant. Don't you love the honesty of a daughter. They can't write to the chase.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 1: The thing with it, Allison, I've got to say, it's it's for me. It's been the most amazing self help book, and I've bought it for so many of my girlfriends in their fifties as well. It honestly, it feels like your words right through your chapters, they're so profound, like they struck such a chord with me and my girlfriends. It really it feels like a beautiful, warm hug from your best friend. There's so many passages in there where I have been able to get solace. So it's it has helped me so so much, And I think what I've gained most of all from your words is that, hey, you're not alone and you're not going crazy, that you are inverted commas normal.
Speaker 2: Well, it became sort of multi layer. The more I wrote, the more I sort of realized, you know, what was sort of happening for me as well as how the book kept evolving. But the original thought around it all was I felt so alone. I felt like I was on my own and didn't know what anyone else was feeling. No one was talking to me about menopause or had ever talked to me about menopause. I just thought, this is insane and like, there's no way I could be the only one experience in this, the fact that half the population are women. So I just really wanted to sort of give. And the more I spoke to people and spoke to people postmenopause as well, I thought, we need to find a way after everything that women go through physically with their gynological system, and you know, it's like enough, like hang on a minute. You know, we've gone that we've dealt with as you would know from what you're saying, We've dealt with the painful periods for so many years, the pcos, the endometriosis, you know, women got women going through labor and you know, tearing up peraneums and like just so much. And I thought, and this is what happens when we get into this stage our life, that this is this is how it ends. I'm like, this is not okay. And the fact that so many women were keeping silent about it because we're kind of trained too, And I thought, and the more I found out about women leaving the workforce because of it, relationships breaking down. You know, that the way we view ourselves as a woman feeling so ugly and broken and gross because we've put on all this weight and our skins change. And I thought, this is not the way we can finish this our cycle like this, This is not okay. So I really wanted to find is there any silver lining in this? Is there anything that we can sort of catch a hold up that's going to actually feel like, okay, we might not look forward to menopause, maybe you know, hopefully we could get there eventually, but we can sort of, you know, look at it in a way that it's simply going to change us and hopefully change us for the better.
Speaker 1: In some ways, I find it so so confusing really sort of going into perimenopause and menopause, because on one regard, you're feeling, you know, I feel when I turned fifty, I felt this great sense of self and self assurance that I hadn't sort of felt before, like, you know, comfortable in my own skin and probably more confident that I've than I've ever been. And yet on the other hand, it was like a jackal Hyde situation for me. And then on the other hand, I was starting to go through this horrible perimenopausal situation which gives you, as a media presenter self, you know, imposter syndrome.
Speaker 2: Oh look, I mean I think it was so I just found the whole experience really confronting. It was confronting the fact that by how my body had changed so dramatically, the mate gain was was quite a lot for me. How I just had no ability at some days to get out of bed. But yeah, I know what you're talking about, because but I feel like those physical changes almost forced me into that place of you know what, You're still alive, you're not broken, you don't have cancer, You've got a great life for your kids and your husband. What are you going to focus on? Like, you can't just focus on the fact that you've got fat sighs and cellulate to your ankles anymore like that. There's so much more to life than that. And it's stripped away a lot of that sort of self reflection in the mirror type thing and made me just go so much more internalized to go, Okay, look, what is it that you want them? Is what it's going to make you feel good, not like look good, but feel good about who you are. So it really flipped that for me, and I get caught in all the like the reflection in the mirror, going oh boy, okay, I still look like I'm carrying a baby at six months. Okay, I still get asked that. I got asked at first the other day, Yeah, by this, by this man. He goes, oh, when did you do? And I was like, I'm fifty.
Speaker 1: Three, are you cool? How did you respond?
Speaker 2: I just said, well, it was the weirdest thing about it was I was sort of under the water, kind of like up to stop of my chest, and I think he was actually flirting with me, which.
Speaker 3: I have not had a man human.
Speaker 2: It's been a long time back between anyone's learned. Because he said, I said, oh, do you come here often? And I was like, oh, yeah, Cepy, is this your favorite beat? And I'm like, I think something happening here that's weird. And then I kind of I stood up to go in and he looked and he goes, oh, oh, when do you do? And I said, oh, fat, and he goes, that's okay, i'n't fat too.
Speaker 1: Oh No, what an unusual encounter.
Speaker 2: I was like, And then Cam was on the beach and he came up to me ears, hey, honey. I was like, Hi, my husband, Hello, thank you for saving me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I love that. There's a chapter in the book, Allison where you do touch on partners and how hormonal change impacts them and how they can help support you, which is really refreshing. There's a lot of books around that don't touch on that subject. Obviously, you've got a long marriage, You've been together a very long time. I would say you are soul mates. How has his support played a role in this time of life for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, there's been a lot of changes in our relationship, you know, due to menopause, and I think Cam's had to be well why not? I think I know Cam has had to be really patient and really understanding, and you know, there are times that it's been really frustrating for him. And I've had this sort of ben explain more about what I'm feeling and have my own patience with his frustration. But he's been once, you know, and I mentioned this in the book, Once we sort of really understood more about about perimenopause, and many metopause and the changes I was going through that it had nothing to actually do with him. It was the hormonal changes in my body that was making me hot and frustrated and angry and sad. It was like, Okay, now we can be on the same team. And that was where it was really challenging. So I felt like I was fighting him about going to understand, and he was he couldn't understand what was going on because I didn't understand what was going on. So there was arguments about that, and he was trying to fix me the whole time because he wanted me to feel better. So once we sort of understood really what was going on chemically, hormonally, emotionally, it was like, oh, now we get it, and now we can sort of look at it together and see how we can both support me going through it.
Speaker 1: It was a light bulb moment. And that's why books like yours are so pivotal. As we start talking and opening the conversation, let's talk about menopause. I just you know, there's so many books on conception and pregnancy that we touched on earlier, but you know, the conversation it's not out there open enough. Women. You know, we need to have a raw, frank discussion as women as a society, also as men supporting their wives and partners. It can't be a dirty word any longer. The more we talk about it, the more we educate ourselves and better outcomes, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And as you said, we're talking about infertility. Now we're talking about endometriosis. We're talking about you know, IBF, and likee, it's something that's just it just happens, and this is the same this is the same thing. It is, it will happen. It's going to happen to every woman, and whether they get symptoms or not, but it does need to be normalized. And I was, I was to see there was an article in the City Morning Herald written by a woman saying women need to shut up about menopause work. That was the title of the article. And I was like, no, no, there's been too much talk about it already. And I'm like, are you kidding me? We've just started, we just started already. That kind of that influence is coming to sort of shut women's voices down. I was like, no, no, no, no, no, hang on, let us speak, let us understand, let us talk with each other, let us talk with our bosses and have some understanding around the workplace and how it affects his air. And you know, I was so disappointed to read that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a common theme minopause and the workplace and the devastating impacts that it has. I do shift work. I get up at three in the morning, but I have and it's not ideal as a radio presenter, but these moments where the brain fog and I've had oh my god, Allison, where I've been on a spiel on air and then I just completely forget what I was talking about. Yeah, completely forget, and luckily my co hosts can pick up and we have a bit of a joke about it. But I was telling a girlfriend actually the other day, I said, it's so humiliating, and she goes, why is it? And I said, well, you know, I've been in radio over thirty years. I'm meant talking is my living. I'm meant to be good at it. And she said, yeah, but why don't you take advantage of the situation and admit that, hey, I've actually got brain fog? And I said, because that would make me feel like I wasn't good at my job, and she said, you're crazy. You've got this powerful position to be able to spread the message you're doing this podcast, like, just admit brain fuging, you know. I thought she's absolutely right. It starts with us in opening the conversation and being raw and being honest and just telling it how it is.
Speaker 2: And I understand that there is unfortunately, there is that you know, and again it's referencing that article. You know. What she did say, which I do agree with in this sense, is that women have worked so hard as you have. You've worked thirty years to get to the place that you're at, and that you know, for some women it's like I've worked that hard and I don't want another reason for my male boss or male coworkers to think, oh, she can't do her job. So I'm not going to mention anything about metaphors. I'm just going to stuff it down, deal with it, walk out of the room moment when I'm having a hot flush, and I just and even that alone just breaks my heart that you can't just be open about that without sort of some repercussions. But I understand that some women feel like they cannot say anything about it because they've they've fought so hard to be in the position that they're at that they have, and you know that I would love to see that change. I was talking to a female surgeon and she was saying, can you imagine as I'm going in there in surgery and I am covered head to toe, mask, hat, everything, gloves and I get a hot flash. I just thought, holy crap, holy crap, like horrible, sweat that out. Yeah, keep going like you can't walk out of no git an operating room at that point. You know, there's so many places where it's the.
Speaker 1: Challenge can I touch on a subject with my experience that's really sort of hit me for six And I know you do mention it in the book as well, And that is the impact on your sex life. The one thing that I really wasn't prepared for is the lack of sex drive. And honestly, Allison, it's like someone's just turned the tap off, and I fear that for my poor husband. I feel like it's never going to come back. It's honestly has been like that, like a dramatic change, and that's really hit me for six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely. But you know there was also the impacts were there was so much. Not only was the you know, hormonally that was happening, but because I wasn't sleeping. I mean, you know, lack of sleep is always going to impact your sex drive usually I shouldn't say always, but that you know, being absolutely exhausted is never going to make you feel like you want to jump into bed. You know you're emotional, like or I was really emotional. That's never going to make me want to feel that way. I was in mourning because of what was going on with my body and what was my intility now was like gone. So there was all of that, and those hot flushes was just like at night those nights plates were.
Speaker 1: Just was that really bad for you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I didn't you know, to have another body besides you was like, oh god. So it was you know, going to another bed to sort of sleep with the covers off and the fan on and thegnifting down to zero and yes, to get some peace that way. So all of those things, you know, are going to impact the sex drive anyway. Let alone the fact that estrogen and progesterones dropped and you know that lovey dovey feeling has chemically been reduced as well.
Speaker 1: I really think this has been probably one of, if not the most challenging sort of periods of my life. Even then, when you know, we went through five years of infertility and treatment and finally getting our daughter that that obviously was a difficult time, and when she was three, I was diagnosed with cancer.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: But I find this is really exhausting because I think as a woman in your fifties, I have two elderly parents in their eighties, so you're stepping up to support them. It's like all these outside not pressure is probably isn't the right word to describe it, but these other influences in your life, and now I'm grappling with not feeling myself and not being on top of everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it was because it's similar thing. You know, my two parents are in their late eighties, so dealing with their health issues with the kids, and then you know, that's that's enough on its own, but yeah, adds like that whole other extra challenge of trying to deal with what your body's going through and not really knowing as well. That's what I found. I'm like, I don't know, I don't know when it's going to stop. No, when that's tomorrow.
Speaker 1: They don't know how far. That's really frustrating, Like it's not okay. So at the end of the twelve months, this it's just like such a great area. Everyone is different, isn't it Like if you knew that you had a finish line, you could cross the days off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's and that's part of the problem in the sense of going to you know, and I really really recommend women to go to their GPS, find a good GP to A is going to understand you hormonally and give you some help, or your natural path, whoever you go to. But that's often the challenge that we're in as well, because Okay, we're like, oh, well, my parents are not feeling well. You know, I'm dealing with that. It's stressful at work. I've got a teenager. I feel that great. I'm putting on this weight. It's stress and we go this way and we carry it and we carry it until a wha sort of well now I'm really hot, now I can't sleep. When we need to know those symptoms early enough to be able to go and seek help early, so we're already on top of it or at the very least know about it even before we even have our first perimenopausal symptoms. So we go into perimenopause healthier, knowing more about the information, knowing what we're looking at, what we need to do for our bodies in order to prepare ourselves in some ways for what the changes are ahead. And I don't I think so many women I know I did. I had no clue. I went into perimenopause very unfit and unhealthy, and you know, made everything twenty times worse.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think we're all in that same boat. And knowledge is power, isn't it. Yeah, you know, which is why we need to open the conversation and help one another as a sisterhood. Mental health is a big thing. And anxiety. I know one of my girlfriends is really grappling with anxiety and normally a really confident, vivacious woman, and it's just crippled her some days. She has some really bad days. Anxiety is so common, isn't it? In menopause.
Speaker 2: That was for me the hardest symptom of all was my mental health and way.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry that took me where I just was absolutely at a loss and days of not wanting to interact with anyone to get out of bed, felt like, you know, my kids and my.
Speaker 2: Husband would be better off if they if I wasn't around anymore, like things that I've never ever, ever had had experienced in my life. And it was it was also in the flip side, it was that was one of the biggest wake up calls to go, you need help. You've actually got to really do something about this. You've never had thoughts like this, So what do you need to do now for yourself to get yourself through this, get yourself out of this and feel better. And that's where I you can honestly say, I've been grateful for menopause because it's put me on this road of self care and self love I have never been on in my entire life. So that's where it's really been a big shift and a big change for me, which I'm grateful for.
Speaker 1: On the broader sort of term of of treatments and helped to get you through that through metopause. What did you do? Was it accupuncture or was it patches?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Look, I because I had always first and foremost my for my whole life, I've always on the naturopathic way and the therapy way. So Cam and I started doing couple therapy again just to sort of talk about what was happening in the marriage. But that was our first thing that really helped. I also had one on one therapy, so that was sort of helping my mental health a lot. And I went and saw I actually did go through two doctors. I saw a GP who was a hormone specialist, and I saw my naturopath. And she's someone who had known me for quite a few years, so she immediately had me on hormone balances. There's stuff in mental health that's naturopathic as well, but I do antidepressants, but she had me on this natural pathic stuff that was really impactful and really helped. She was working with my dream or system that was absolutely shot TOHP, so she was helping impact that. And then I just started looking at what else can I do for my mental health, you know, which meant going for little walks, getting extra hugs and watching funny movies and turning off the news. I have to turn off the news, and you could not watch any news that was too talent help you. Yep, no, no, So it really became for the first time, you know, like what do I need? What do I need to do? Not like what do my kids need? Where's my husband need? What are my parents need? What do I need to do for myself? First? And then I can see if I have something left to care for other people.
Speaker 1: But right now you're so inspirational. Ellison's seriously helping you proactive, You've been and positive and turning what is a really daunting period your life into so many positives and helping so many other women. I've got to say, I just love your books. It's beside my bed and I will pick it up and read sections when I'm feeling like I need that support. It Really, when I say it's a self help book, it really has been. It's been like a lifeline to me. So thank you so so much. I think you're the poster girl of menopause.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, thank you. I mean just just even you know, my intention was I thought about fourteen people would buy my book. No one's going to want to read this book about menopause. But just hearing you say that, like, that's everything for me. Like to think that that my words helped you is that's like gold in the bank any day. So thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 1: Allison Daddo, author of Queen menopause, finding your majesty in the Mayhem, through Allan and Unwin. Come with me to episode three, where I acknowledge and bow at the feet of a true menopause Trailblazer, ABC presenter and editor of the University of Melbourne's Research news website, Imagen Crump, who was one of the first Ossie women in media to bravely admit live on national TV she was having a hot flush. It's the start of the revolution, sisters, and it starts with us.