Speaker 1: Guess who's back. He goes back a friend. He gets no, no, no, back. I'm sorry that.
Speaker 2: He's just like, what what am I listening to?
Speaker 1: We have a very well respected tennis journalist, Courtney Walsh is here.
Speaker 2: He is questioning his choices this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: I'm like one of those clowns at a carnival with my mouth wide open, moving from one side to the other, going what are they going on?
Speaker 2: People? Okay, they seem quite normal when we were talking before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think we're more clowns at a carnival and your respected journey.
Speaker 3: Yes, it depends on who you talk Tory for about ten minutes and and there was a couple of inquisitive looks my way, what the hell are you doing here? And who you want to to the site?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is this going to be another banded episode?
Speaker 1: Have you ruffled any feathers in your career? Can you talk about it or.
Speaker 3: I'll going back? I mean it's not for a few years. And I think one of the pleasures of my year has always been part of the AO radio team, which you know, it's a great sort of fortnite here and being able to commentate and when you're walking around and listening during the Austrain Open. But no, it's certainly at different stages. I've written some pieces that haven't necessarily gone down as well as what you might expect. But I always, you know, hold firm and I saw one of the one of the people in the in the lift. We always have a little round about it Wimbledon each year where we go over old ground and in the end shake and have a beer. And I think it's a great reason to be able to do this back and forth. That's what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: You're meant to have a take an opinion, right Otherwise it's just dry recounting of scores, and you know that's not good.
Speaker 3: What's my mind is more, you know, you delve into the I suppose some of the inner workings, you know. Opinion wise, I'm not necessarily someone that's going to come and slag a player, because I think it's pretty incredible to even get to a grain slam. I think it's an astonishing thing. So I'm not going to pan a player necessarily unless you want me to.
Speaker 2: Yes, please, that's what we're all about.
Speaker 1: On most Overrated player of all time and go.
Speaker 3: Oh, boy where he start. Didn't that guy rafter like number one in the world for like a week? I mean it was a week, Yeah, it was a week.
Speaker 2: We asked him about it, he laughed, that's.
Speaker 1: A good story.
Speaker 3: I've got a bone to pick with the because I played a bit of paddle in my time, nowhere near as good as Pat. But he's stolen my pedal partner. Now Midtlely haven't played for a couple of years, but he's stolen my peddle partner, his double's partner in the pedal Championship around Australia.
Speaker 1: So can you just outrageous? Can you go watch like a paddle cuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Through the glass?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's rough.
Speaker 3: Man, it's outrageous. No, he is one of the greater many tennis as we all know. I don't really have And if I was my mate, Rob, you had the choice between a guy who is a radick and inconsistent like myself, or a Jewel Grand Slam champion Davious Cup legend, world number one. I think he's made the right call. And in terms of the talent level as well, it's I'm in a flat line a little bit. Pats, even his fifties his rate of improvement just goes. Ugh. I mean that's still not happy though.
Speaker 1: That's no. I mean I wouldn't be either. That's brutal stuff. But I mean this is what you're seeing though. You're seeing people make the pivot into whatever pickleball. Maybe Jack Soarker is doing good things, but a lot of them like go to pad l or something and it's like they're crushing.
Speaker 2: It's a bit more respectable, I think. Yeah, for sure, it was a little bit more skill involved. Yeah, it's fair.
Speaker 3: I must put down the cans and walked out when no, I'm joking people. I'm very happy to see people on the pickle court. Anyone with a racket in hand is a is a good thing for mine.
Speaker 1: But that's true.
Speaker 3: You see some you see some really really good players from tennis players who have made the transition. But it's a different sporting Thailand. It's really hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think what osteo surgeons in America are booming at the moment because of all people playing peckle ball, so good for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I jumped into Paul Kilderry, who's the head of tennis here, and he said he'd been on the pedal court last week and he said he still felt sore from really hips all the way down to the tip of his big toe.
Speaker 2: So what else did Paul say?
Speaker 1: Joking, dude, it's so good to have you in Courtney. We're very jealous. You're off to the French Open this week.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's your favorite favorite slam.
Speaker 3: I think even wimbled and I think of that too. I mean, look, I love here, but in case, we all know when you're working here, it's it's working there long, long, long days and everything that's brilliant about the Australia Open, the tennis, but also the music in the the and the beer guarden, et cetera. Yeah, don't really get the chance to enjoy that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we found with the players that come in, if we have them what their favorite slam is. It's like talking about their children. You gotta go. I love them all equally, you know, they all have different aspects that I like. And it's like, just say you hate the US Open. We all know your thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they all said that the Australian Open was their favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. I mean it's fun. It's called the happiest Slam for a reason, and it checks out and it's the most party vibe one I've been to. I haven't been to the French. Yeah, good energy, great grounds. But like going to the French, what do you love about it there? Because it is totally different than the other three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is. And it goes from I mean, look that the focus is really on the tennis. So qualifying week will be you know, start Monday. There's no one point Slam like there was here. There's no mixed doubles extravaganza like there was in New York last year with all those stars. It is a real focus on the tennis. Tennis and they love the tennis. But you go, you walk into the grounds and and look at the stadiums themselves. The Philip Chetrier, which is the main stadium, I mean it's it's named after the administrator, a famous tennis administrator. You know, it's a that's a different thing to start with, and it's this beautiful art deco sort of design initially tennis administrator.
Speaker 1: So like, who would who's the equivalent for the AO that if they named a stadium.
Speaker 3: After Craig Craig Tiler, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Stadium, I guess yeah, it works, it works. Yeah, it's so shatter. It was the same level of tournament director type thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and very influential globally as well. So yeah, well respected. And you know they had like we we've got all their golden generation. They had the Musketeers and there's statues and the Musketees. When you walk in this this is great sort of big statue of raffa large and then life. I still think it's one of the most amazing things. To go to a tournament and Raff is still in the drawer plane and there's this gigantic statue of him swinging this wild whipping forehands.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's like that kind of silver like shards. Yeah, yeah, it looks fantastic. It's not like the who's the soccer player they made the bust of and it like looks Ronaldo. That one is atrocious.
Speaker 3: Oh this is huge.
Speaker 2: It is it's ten foot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is amazing. And then there's this new court. Well not so now, but it was built for the Olympics initially. Simone Mathews is the court. Susan long long than it's a iconic champion in the twenties and the thirties over there, who was just a magnificent player, Simone Mathew. Is this third stadium court so I especially the equivalent of our John Kaine Arena. But you walk in there and it's got it's basically a glasshouse. There's plants all the way around. It's been designed specifically because it's in a botanical garden that just before you get to the site. So it's this magnificent, beautiful, very different court to what you would normally experience. So those elements and even to the extent of seri chic, the you know, the staff as you know in Australia we have, although in australia's improved a lot. In the US, for example, you might have the plain blue polo and the black pants Paris Wimbledon, pretty stylish. All the staffers, the young staffers are very stylish there. They're wearing there, you know, their hats there, they're they're very stylish trousers. So it's it's there's a lot difference about it, very difine.
Speaker 2: Very cool because everyone in the crowd too is wearing the Panama hat. Is that something you get on arrival? You have to do they just hand them out. What's going on.
Speaker 3: There's good reason that I in particularly needed very handy for my hairline. You do see them though, And I was just flicking through a magazine yesterday which is soon to be launched a different sort of brand, and they had some of the shots from you know that make rolling gross what rolling Garros is, and the Panama hat is one of them. And it's this great photo and just all around the court of people wearing the Panama hats. Shot from above. You know you've got the bag, like if you've played in Melbourne on Oti car courts well Clay is very you know, it's similarities, but you know, finer surface. But photos of the people bagging you get the dust sort of kicking up. It's and the crowd, you know, it's not so much the Oi oi, which I've got to say, thank god.
Speaker 1: It's.
Speaker 2: What's the.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and if a French player is in action, it is deafening, oh man, insane, Like the crowd goes blistic right into it.
Speaker 1: Taylor Fritz Render Kanesh match from last year two years ago amazing, like the craziest atmosphere and Taylor's were eventually coming out on top and then just like was he blowing kisses to the crowd and they were puting the hell out of him and it was amazing. Yeah, just like the French crowd goes nuts.
Speaker 3: It's and and that adds to it, like I love the partisan In fact, you see it all the way through the clay swing. We know there's been some complaints sort of like in Rome where young wolf On Sekah was was sort of up in. The Brazilians were right into him with me Jenivick and Vick you see those sort of things. But in France it really is for the French. One of the things about Rafa who were talking about is that he was booed at different stages in the infancy of his career. It's not until he won fourteen of them, but he really well ten or so he started to really win them over and they loved him after that. But it took him a while because he was Spanish and you know, to win over that crowd. I'm just trying to.
Speaker 1: Think which French players Rafa would have been playing in the infancy of his career. Who was the big Was.
Speaker 3: It gas Guay with the magnificent one handed back end and they both you know this, they basically came through at the same stage and gas Gay was the great hope because Yannick Noah was the last french Man to win at rollingdo I saw all the way back at the tournaments. I think he debuted at fifteen and he got to world number seven. He made semi finals, a couple of three Grand Slam semi finals. So he had a really really good career and only retired, you know, last year, the last year. But you know, gas Gay was his came along with him, so did on Fees, you know, another unbelievable talent and he's still going and this is his farewell tour and Joe Joe Wilfrid's song, it was another one that came through and Jill Simon. So Franz had some great players, really good players, Rafa. He just blunted the blunted the hopes every year of them and everyone else.
Speaker 1: Well, when you start dominating like he did, I mean it's hard not to just get behind him. And then obviously he's you know, has the statue there do they have statues of French players the musketees? Okay, going back to back to the nineteen twenties. Yeah, so there's no Gui fourger.
Speaker 3: Always it always used to trick me, you know, guy Forget when I didn't this guy Forget a great player and tournament director. Yeah, well it could have been the Fourget stadium.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah they should. The French should have just gone with like French people everyone knows, like the Gerard des bardous Dady, Yeah, the peppy. Well, we should say for our listeners that as of recording, we're at the quarterfinals of the REALM Italian Open, and so that are obviously knowledge of what happens in the tournament will be limited, but as it stands right now, we did the Ego Shavontek song at the start because she looks like she's informed and she looks scary going into the French Like we'll start with the women's side of things. Who do you like, who do you think is going to be a contender? Who do you think is maybe having a rough season? Sebolonca and uh or not? Well? Indian wells in the AO obviously huge, but then she's losing a bunch of matches in the lead up, Like.
Speaker 3: It's if you could have a small dartboard with a few names on it. Yeah, so I think it's a small group that can win it. Yeah, but I could not pick with any certainty who that is, and that includes I think she's been so inconsistent. I don't think she I know we're saying she might be back. I don't think she's back yet. But she's an infancy of a new coaching sort of partnership. He snapped his achilles tendon last week playing yes, leading in front Roy, which is not a great thing to do, but he so. But whether that affects her on the court, I don't don't necessarily think so. Still, the strategy sort of part of it.
Speaker 1: She stamped Osa the other absolutely did the vision of her hitting with Rafa at the Academy. I mean, there's things, and she her you know, past forum on clay obviously has to be a huge factor.
Speaker 3: So you would still have her as I think you would have her as a favorite. But that what troubles me is that she hasn't won a clay court tournament through the through the summer, and so she's winning matches absolutely, but she's not as dominant. She's not the dominant player she was post sash Barti's retirement. Without without I think that's indisputable. She's just not the not the same dominance. Now that's probably because other players have continued to rise, and the sable Anka, you know, finding her consistency extra trying to take that next step on clay for Sablenka is the big things. She was very close last year in that final. I really liked the way Coco Goff is going about it. You know, she won. I mean people were saying that was a bad final last year. I loved it because she played ugly and won. Like she You're up against someone who's powerful as and it's awesome and as formidable as what arounda Sablenka is, and it was really difficult condition. So Coco adjusted. She she played ugly, but she hid enough balls, back, drew enough errors and had the fortitude at the end to win the second Grand Slam. And she had a good win in Rome overnight as well against Dreva, who I think her form. I think it will come for her. You know, last year she left in tears and despair after losing to the local favorite Boisson, who we haven't seen basically since after that amazing run to the semifinals. But I think mirror is certainly right there and Coco, I think Arena mirrors.
Speaker 1: People forget she's only ninety so she's a.
Speaker 2: Big emotional swings, but I kind of love that. Yeah, they show the passion.
Speaker 3: Exactly, like and that's fine, like you're a young players and in the other and with Coco, it's it's amazing. The other day she went up against an American who he saw here, Shoviku was so good and made it through to the I think the quarter finals here in January, Coco was the grand old lady. It's twenty two, yeah, crazy, yeah, and Jo got a match point yeah, and then yeah, just Coco.
Speaker 1: A lot of comeback wins for Coco, right, and for golf, it all comes down to how she's serving on any given day, right, that's her biggest achilles. Oh no, you don't, you don't. I can't believe.
Speaker 2: That's just I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: And so like if I don't know, I know she's got a new serving coach, is that right there?
Speaker 3: I think they're working on the biomechanics. It's amazing that she's already got two Grand Slams. I think she sets a record. Nipo been the first for the youngest of fifteen quarterfinals at this at the lastest level. Just as and you're evers at one the other days the youngest to ten sort of quarter finals, so it might be fifteen semi finals at that level. But yeah, they are record breaking plays in some regards. And that's the time when you have got a Spiontic, you have got a Sablenka. Jess Bagoula is playing well. I love just glancing through results. She's playing with Storm Hunter this week and they're through to the quarters in Roman. Really, I love watching like Jess play and Storm and Storms a ripper, such a such a great Aussie talent. So yeah, I love watching the women's tennis, I think, and I think the fact that you can't identify the winner with any certainty makes it really interesting.
Speaker 1: We haven't even mentioned so I mean another huge contender for the title. I mean I'd love to see we love the mooch here.
Speaker 2: The move.
Speaker 1: Just her style of player is awesome to watch. And yeah, I mean Coco obviously moves on the clay. I think better, well, Ego's movement. It's her Coco for like, best movers on the dirt. I think. So Eddie dark horses on the women's side, do you think.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, let's go to the mook because she did make the what the final two years ago? Yeah, was it two years ago? Three years ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The semi I mean she's such a sublime player, dark horses.
Speaker 2: What about that Sertsi Certsy Christia Cristaia. Yeah, like is it Sertsy? I mean it's a tricky yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she Well, I mean it's an amazing career resurgence and her last year on the tour. She's thirty six, and here she's into a semi final of a of the Italian Open. Her career high, I think is twenty one. I think that if she wins, she gets twenty one no points to defend. Sort of through the grass season, she s announce it's going to be a retiring year, and here she's playing the best tennis of her life. It often makes me wonder, do you go back to the well again? Or is this is that the reason I'm playing well? Because well, I've got nothing to losing. Saying goodbye to each of these big, great cities of the world.
Speaker 1: I think. So, I mean, hasn't she said if she wins Roalm the Serana Christia, that she's going to stay on tour for another year or two years whatever. So, I mean that would be an awesome storyline, but Rome will be interesting. I mean some huge quarter. They're through to the Semis now in is that right?
Speaker 3: Or Semis and the women's well, sorry, two semi finalists are through. You know these weird Fortnite Masters where the draw gets all out of wax. I think we've still got the where we're recording at the time where the four men's courters are to be played. There's still a couple of women's quarters to be played, but we're basically from tomorrow will hit the hit the regular sort of where it's a little easy to comprehend what's going on into yeah, to try and take note of who's dount what and where.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it's fascinating. Like you said, the women's draw, it's like a handful of players that could all take it out, or someone could just have a crazy tournament and you know, all of a sudden, Barbara Chikova, we're all pronouncing it wrong today except for the pro or you said jo Dar before and I've only heard Hoda Hoda. Are you Are you an Alcoraz or an alcareth man?
Speaker 3: It depends on who I'm talking to him.
Speaker 1: Well, we we've shown that Lizzie is a serce Hoda.
Speaker 2: That sounds very game that is, yeah, I guess, and he could.
Speaker 3: I mean he would be a game of throwing to start character with that forehand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, do you think his game is very similar looking to Sinner's game? When I watch him play, it just seems like kind of the just world class obviously ground is and then just putting people in corners and whipping fourhands and cross cord. I just see a lot of center in his style. Would you agree?
Speaker 3: I want to see him on hard court small before, because I mean the movement for Cinner is what I think he's probably underrated that we know when he's walking, he's got that. So it's quite an ungainly gate old man, or.
Speaker 2: It's a real old man instead of I just got up.
Speaker 3: It really does.
Speaker 2: Look at it.
Speaker 3: And then you see him in the point and he glides, it's like it's like he's skiing like you watched him on hard court, and just his ability to get forward to to move like he's he's working a slalem run getting back to the basement. So I want to see Da on Yoda. Let's just go with Rafa.
Speaker 1: That will confused anyone Spanish raffer I like Raffa for the French. Are you are you actually a tennis you know he retired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't put it past him, but no, I'd like to see him on the rest. But I think what you're saying is, I mean, the forehand is formidable and his results for someone who was in college. You know, we know he walked out of it and is still so young and so powerful. It's a phenomenal transition so swiftly to get to where he is. And I think if he wins another actually we see him in the top twenty four, and he's played, you know, at the top level. I mean, he was really good in canber obviously before the ass Open, winning winning that challenger, and that challenger leading into the austral Open tends to produce some really really good players guys to keep an eye on, and he won there. But I'd like to see him just more on the hard courts. And I'd like to see him over five sets as well, because he's been winning over three sets against all these guys. See whether it's sustainable over five sets. I mean the way he's been winning so quick, so you'd think it's sustainable, But just to see how it goes when he's in a real dog dog fight, let's hope against a French player in a fortnight. Oh, just see how he handles that sort of that sort of Occasion'll he'll learn and he'll get better and better. But that's the sort of challenge at nine am, we think, yeah, because it took in that period to sort of break through. He made it. He made a quarter final imparisons a ninety year old, and then it took him another three years to break through. Alcor al Craze was however, he swings mighty fine. He was nineteen, but it took him another couple of years after that. Novak one here at nineteen and it took him a few years. So you know, it'll be interesting to see what happens with me so jealous.
Speaker 1: Of him, going yeah, I've been predicting Eager winning the French since January. So I mean, before we get into the men's draw proper, I'm going to pin you down and who are you picking for the French On.
Speaker 3: The women's I'm going to go the back to back champion. Okay, I'll go with Coco.
Speaker 1: Nice all right.
Speaker 2: I was thinking Cocoa too, You're going coco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thinking, I wonder what was your prediction in January though, let's go back and revisit.
Speaker 2: Let's go French double anka again.
Speaker 3: Did you do all full?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, what did I do?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It was probably like Sercy or.
Speaker 3: Something, my best place.
Speaker 2: Uh No, I probably said.
Speaker 1: You do love Svidelina and she is Is this her last year? Has she said that?
Speaker 3: No, It's Gal's last year. Oh yeah, I think he'll do some at home parenting in the next little while.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, he's got the wild card as well as Stan Varenka fun so, I mean that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 1: Even if they win, just the first round match would just be so exciting and great. Obviously Gale will and I think Stan will get that crowd response as well.
Speaker 3: It's a fuller champion, I think, so on a finalist and what and what they do really well in Paris is the farewell ceremonies, particularly with the French players, and when they did it with Rafa last year, which was a beautiful touch and they had the little plarque beside the court. But with the French players, they will out the modern day musketeers that have played alongside them. So we'll see gas Gay, we'll see we'll see song and we'll see some on They'll all be standing, you know, they'll always caught side. Emily Maresmo's the tournament director, shall have something and it's just a really really lovely touch in a great way in the crowd because they are real tennis lovers, they they get great applause, so that when those two go out, I think it'll be a really nice moment in tennis. You know, when they depart, rolland Garross, I know, I know they'll keep playing, but I think here in particular is where they'll get the best receptions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the crowd's going to be and it will be emotional and there will be a lot of like great crowds Aboart. It be awesome matches to watch. The one guy I'm going to make sure to set a time aside to watch is going to be Quarantine Moute throughout the French because he revs the crowd up. He's just crafty as hell out there and it's just an awesome player, you know, just from the spectator point of view, and I think he'll be revving up the crowd to mess with his opponent.
Speaker 3: He's a maestro. Yeah, he's just marvelous to watch. I mean, he saw him here on CNNY court not that long ago, four months ago, when he was you know, he got beaten. But it's a pleasure watching him and get beaten. The way he plays, not not not not that yeah, you know, I mean some players he absolutely riles and rubs people up the wrong way on court, but just watching him just to touch the angles, the flare, the what is this guy going to do next? It's wonderful to watch.
Speaker 1: It's like exhibition tennis. Half the time he's hitting shots that you're like, that's no coach told you.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: In the men's side, obviously kind of the opposite to the women's where it's just one guy who everyone's like, oh, it's aforegone conclusion. I mean, do you feel that way, Do you feel like there's actual contenders to push center or is it just kind of like, well, just give him the trophy now we know it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: I'm always really reluctant to say that they've got to get to a fortnight. There's seven matches, five sets, and he was beaten here in January by an old guy middlely an old guy who can play in Djokovic. But he has been remarkable through this clay season and I was very, very lucky to be there last year for that rolling gross final where he played one of the greats of all time and he had he had Alkroth. I'm so jealous you are out that obviously it looks still still final. Yeah, and like one of the all times were.
Speaker 1: You wearing your big Panama hat again? Back to the Panama hats. It's annoying to give out a big hat to spectators for a crowd. Don't you think someone in front of you wearing a giant hat is the most annoying thing at a tennis.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's like that the person he's quite toll in front of you. It's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I don't know. It's like next year for the AO, we give out sobreros for everyone having fun it. That's it shows such a lack of appreciation for fans in the stands.
Speaker 2: I think the Australian Open version would be like a big Bunnings hat. Have you seen like just big outdoor straw hats?
Speaker 1: Oh right right, no, no, no, I think yeah, we give out shoes for people to drink beers out of.
Speaker 3: Good new beer coming on. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe no, I don't know major announcements.
Speaker 3: Take binding that back right now, security outside. So you were at the front op and final last year. One of the best ever. I think Grand slams. I don't even think that's recency bias. I think that's right up there with the top five or so of all time, and given given the two combatants, and you know the time in tennis, the transition from the big three into these two are just superstars of the sport. And Sinner was amazing and had those match points and was in control against the guy that I think is well not the greatest clay court player of all time, given but he would be in the top five already. I think in Grand Slam. You know, he's defended Ross. It's an incredible thing to be able to defend the rolling gross title. Bags done it. Obviously Raff has done it, but you know it's exceptionally hard to do. Carlos has done that, but he took him. He was right on the very brink of defeat against Sinner, and then we've seen him through this clay court season touch wood. We don't know what's going to happen in the next couple of days, but he's already said a record in terms of us as wins. Sorry, he's level with Novak as we speaking on thirty one. And if he wins, then this new record.
Speaker 1: How old was Novak when he sat there?
Speaker 3: Older like Novak's records are older like some And I mean, you know, I think the masses the five or four in a row was twenty eight or twenty nine. So you know, he's well ahead of you know, in terms of you know, we're in terms of age, ahead of the curve in that regard, as Carlos is in a lot of the things he's doing. So we're seeing two guys who, after an amazing generation at breaking new records, are sitting new ground. Got a long way to go to match the longevity. But I would think, and what we've seen so far given you probably think that Zeverev is the second best clay court player in the world, and he got beaten overnight. But right by Dardario think.
Speaker 1: He's just got an Italian guy problem because sinners like you know, ruined his brain because he lost to Kabali And now Dardaeri and so he just sees Italian. Yeah, he like drives by a pizza players and has a panic.
Speaker 3: Attack affording the pastor.
Speaker 1: So I don't know he's there of to me how he looks lately because he got did he get bageled in the final set against Darderry.
Speaker 3: He did, but he also made a final yeah, you know, two weeks ago. Like in his form on clay Stax, I mean his form has actually been very impressive aside from the Italians. Like I think he's he's recording last few months, he's lost to the Italians and no one else.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So but given that, you think, well, Sinner, who also has an Italian problem. I think he's won over ninety when he's nineteenth straight match against an Italian rival. So he gives no love to his compatriots, no love to many people actually.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well that's fascinating because during the Australian Open, I think it was Dardari that Cinner was playing, and so there's a lot of Italian fans and they seem to be backing Dardari more in the.
Speaker 3: It's that curious part of Italy.
Speaker 1: Well, the part of that, but the geography.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no north and sort of closer to Austria and Austria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he looks more Austrian then.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Imagine the Italians here are probably more southern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they see Baratini in they're like that it's Italian, you know. Okay, So I mean who do you like that could possibly push center for the French? I mean the names that are touted or Fonseka Fees now hod are I mean outside of Zverev? Are you just backing Djokovic to get deep or are you worried about his forum?
Speaker 3: What do you think? I don't think we've seen enough of him, but we know that when Novak arrives at Rolling US, it's similar to raffering terms of he tends to perform and he tends to push deep. Yeah, and he's the type of playing the only needs to he can get there and work his way into form in a match. So I would think, yeah, you think he probably He won Paris two years ago as that great Olympic triumph to cap his career. So he's you know, he's got the Rolling Gross title and he's got the careers you know, the career Grand Slam there. You know, he drew the big love hard after he finally broke through and won there, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But how badly does he want twenty five?
Speaker 3: He wants that, and with the two of them out, that's sorry. With one of them out, this is a chance. It's like it's like they used to say. He used to say, you go up against Andy Murray and if you beat Andy Murray, then you'd have Jokovic or Nadal or Fetter, And if you manage to beat one of those, then there'd be another one still there waiting. And to try and get through three of them were so hard with these guys. He beats in here, but then he runs into a brick wall, but it took him such an amazing amount of energy to get through. He runs into the brick wall against alcraz in the.
Speaker 1: Final, he readlined the first one that and then just kind of keep it up.
Speaker 3: So it's sort of so with one of them one less there, well, then you know he does fancy his chance. But then you think, you know, those young guys are coming and they're really exciting. It's they are great talents. Will they make a step here? Who knows? It's it's you know, it's a real chance without again, because Carlos is not there, there's a there's a chance for someone to push deep or will it be an established as very on the other side of that, or he said he's injured, so I don't think it'll be him. Yeah, Alex, I'd love to demon or I'd love to say but he hasn't been playing great, but I can see him in the second week. Well, whether it's further look, I think on Clay is going to be an issue, but there's there's an opportunity and that makes it exciting.
Speaker 1: I mean, before we talk about the AUSSI players, who of those names do you think the hope is the most for real? Like Arthur, Yeah, fun Taka Hod are like that. You've watched maybe not enough of Hod to make a proper assessment, but like, who do you think is going to be if there is a big three in the future going forward? Who takes that man?
Speaker 3: Who takes the third spot? I really like Fees, but he's a couple of years older than them. But his explosiveness, his shot making, his athleticism is extraordinary and when he's up and going, like Alex played him win more than a couple of years ago, the match where he got injured basically on match point. But it was a great match and Alex was playing unbelievably well and I thought he would be a really strong chance against Novak in the next match. So well was he playing, and Fees pushed him really close then, And we're now two years on. He was injured obviously for a lot of last year, but I think what we've seen since he's been back has been really exciting. Touchwood of course that we hope that that most recent setback is not a thing, but I really like what he's got. The other tour have got all the tools and all the weaponry, but they're you know, they're they're still teenagers. Yeah, Visus sort of like twenty one to twenty two. So if they get there, I think he gets there first, and he's he's almost there.
Speaker 1: I want to see a fan Teka have a deep run and run into some French players because the Brazilian crowd versus the French crowd is going to be dynamical. Yeah, great stuff. Ozzie wise dem and ours kind of had a rough season, like we touched on, but do you see anyone else maybe push into a second week? How do you feel well?
Speaker 3: You mentioned Alexi off off camera and you know he's credentials on clay are decent. You know you spoke about him. I was there when he won the Junior French Roland Garris and that's always a pointed to being top line of coming through with the old bull ring, this fabulous old court that's no longer there. But he won that. You know you've seen him win. But his form has been really not great for quite a quite a period. Alexi. I'm glad that he won a couple of matches in Rome. I think that's that's important, and you know that gives him a bit of confidence letting in. I think that's important. But he did get his pants pulled down by Yannick Sinner, who's done that between before, and I think that's just a bad matchup for Alexei. In a lot of it's a bad match up for everyone basically apart from maybe al Grath, but it's a bad, bad matchup for Alexi. But he won a couple of matches, so I think ideally you see him sort of arriving. We know he can play on clay if he's confident and it's warm, I think he's a chance to make it sort of through to the last city two, last sixteen, and then you don't know. Again. With Alex it's an interesting one because you look at his recent run of form and you think, oh, what's going on, and you know he has got a lot in his mind. He is, you know, they're getting married. It's it's all about.
Speaker 2: But then table settings, Yeah, yeah, center piece, centerpieces, flowers, all the things.
Speaker 3: And I'll be intrigued to see what he actually wears and wears Wilson sponsor, Oh, no doubt, color than that shirt. But but but then you go. He did make an Australian Open quarterfinal. There's only been one Grand Slam this year. He made the quarter finals of it. He won Rotterdam, which is a really hard good five hundred in February. So if you if you make a Grand Slam quarter final and win a win a decent not not a Master's, but but the next year down a title. He's sitting eight in the world, and he's sitting eight in the race. It's it's not bad. He was okay in the first tournament on clay, but as I said, the last couple of mean so so. But Hoder in Madrid, it's it's it's an altitude. So that's one where Alex is not going to play necessarily that well. Given the way he hits the ball, you know, it's flattering, it will fly. It's just I don't think it suits him as well. Rome. He wasn't that far away. He just had a couple of bad games. So I hope, I mean again, if he if he can get through his first couple of rounds, I'd be fine with it. And it's just it's just if he can. But I think if he does, he's I'd be hoping. He'd be wishing too. The quarter finals again, right, all right, Well, just.
Speaker 1: To wrap up the French open talk, then I guess the prediction on the men's side, who plays center and loses in the final. I'll make my call. I'm gonna say Casper Rude.
Speaker 3: He was really good. It was a good win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, and he's always the bridesmaiden of the bride, Casper, so yeah, a little resurgence.
Speaker 3: Look, I still think that Verriv is probably the the next one, the next clay quarter, the next best clay quarter outside of Novak. If Novak's fit, well then but yeah, I think it's very of on form even given what happened every night?
Speaker 2: Great Lizzie Novak or Fees Yeah, yeah, that would be really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah you got your coming back?
Speaker 2: Where was all right? The segment we all love and enjoy.
Speaker 1: What's the second time we've done it?
Speaker 2: It's got Quizzy who yes, yeah, and we've got too sorry dance a demand from thank you for dancing with recording. I appreciate that I've got a lovely prize to give away.
Speaker 1: So for the listener who answers a question that neither I or Courtney could answer, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they have to email Pola Rena pod La, I don't know the podlavor at Tennis dot com dot a U and I will give you my coffee cup with a few drags in it.
Speaker 3: Wow, was a good coffee.
Speaker 2: It was a beautiful coffee. And you can sip my dregs.
Speaker 1: Discussing dregs. But there also might be some kind of nice prize.
Speaker 2: Back as well, So it's actually a real prize. That's a fake prize something from the merch storm.
Speaker 1: Maybe all right, we'll hit us with.
Speaker 2: The okay question one? Who are the last two Australia and OZ Open Men's and women's singles champions, it's.
Speaker 3: Going to be an old like the last two Australians or the last two Australian Open.
Speaker 2: No, who are the last two Australian OZ Open Men's and women's singles champions?
Speaker 1: So Australians is it Margaret Court on the women's I know, oh ash Barti, Ashbarty and then the men's side mark edmonson? What year was that? Wow?
Speaker 2: Correct? Correct?
Speaker 3: So I have written that lots and lots and lots because she just had another year. It's been X amount of years of course, so is Mike out now? He?
Speaker 2: Question two? What year did Nick Kurios and Tanasi Kokanakas win the men's doubles.
Speaker 1: Title twenty twenty twoies?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah correct? Correct?
Speaker 3: Attention.
Speaker 2: Question three? How many different court surfaces has the Australian Open had?
Speaker 1: Three?
Speaker 3: I'd say three so grass, rebound, ace and green said.
Speaker 2: Bump bone.
Speaker 1: More I'm not saying.
Speaker 2: Please email pod Labor at Tennis dot com dot au with your answer to how many different court surfaces has the Australian.
Speaker 1: Hat and name them all and bid Yeah, if.
Speaker 2: You can name it all, we'll throw in another hat like.
Speaker 3: Was there an back in the nine.
Speaker 1: Because the listener that gets Lizzie's dregs.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I don't want to give anything away, and that was Quizzy who Dance.
Speaker 1: Corny Courtney Walsh. Thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And if you want, if you want company for the French Open and want to pay for all my air for an accommodation, I'd be happy to hang out.
Speaker 3: More than happy to buy a beginn or a a bail.
Speaker 1: Bring Lizzie back a Panama hat.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would love that.
Speaker 1: It's not an annoying thing.
Speaker 2: To put me. Bring back this person you met once briefly a gift.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you so much. It's been an absolute delight.
Speaker 2: Thanks Gotny, thanks for coming in.
Speaker 1: We'll get you back in
Speaker 2: Sip my dregs.