Speaker 1: We've been talking about the incredible story of Krystal Hefner. So Crystal Hefner, she was Hugh Hefner's wife, sixty years younger than her. And if you're not play yeah, if you're not familiar with who Hugh Hefner is, he was the Playboy tycoon. He started and he organized and he ran everything to do with the Playboy, the cigar.
Speaker 2: He had those silk gowns and the sailor's hat, captain's.
Speaker 1: Hat, and all the little bunny is and the little bunny tails.
Speaker 3: It graces me out now that I think about it, isn't it? Well?
Speaker 1: I mean, we had the most incredible chat this week on my fun Cut podcast with Crystal Hefner, who is Hugh's widow, and she really lifted the curtain behind some of the I mean, I don't even know how you just like the trauma, the atrocities, like some of the things that she experienced while she was married to him and part of the Playboy mansion. But one thing that she shared with us I think was so interesting and so many people would not know this about how Hugh Hefner, how he actually got into and how he became famous, how playboy mansion started and it has to do with Marilyn Monroe. So have a listen to this.
Speaker 3: Speaking of financial abuse, talk to us about what heif did to Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 4: Oh, that is hard for me because his whole empire was started with the calendar photos of Marilyn Monroe. He bought calendar photos that people heard of, but they had never seen of Marilyn Monroe. She was nude, she had no say, she made no money, and that created Heff's entire empire, and he paid her nothing. When he was getting old and he was not far from the end of his life, he said, I don't care about my funeral. You know where I want to be buried, And where he wanted to be buried was Westwood Memorial, right next to Marilyn Monroe. He had bought the plot in the nineties and this woman that he exploited, created this whole empire off of this woman, and now she has absolutely no say and whose bones will be lying next to her?
Speaker 3: So he literally just bought photos of her off the internet. Just that already exists the rights, the rights to them, well not even right, So I don't think there's rights back then. You could just purchase a photo, so anyone could have used it. But he turned that into nude calendar then made his empire, and she A couldn't approve it, couldn't fight it, and B didn't get a cent.
Speaker 4: Is that correct? Yeah, he collected enough money from wherever to buy her photos from a calendar company. I think you bought them for seven hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: I mean, no things are changing in this world. But if anyone's familiar with em Rata's story around the photographer who released nude photos of her, it's really farrowing. For a lot of young models who do nude photos as part of their you know, when they're getting their books together or they're trying they just want to get seen and noticed in the industry, and so they do what they might think are artistic photos, but they're probably more nude than what they thought they were going to be. And then the person who owns the royalties to those photos, the rights to those photos, is the photographer. It's never the model. They signed release forms that sign those things away, and that's what's happened in this instance with Marilyn Monroe. She has no rights to the images, even though the images of her. The person who took those images has full rights and you can purchase the licensing to distribute it as you would, which just sounds crazy, but it's something that still happens to models today, and it's only if they're educated enough to know otherwise that they can protect themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I think of Marilyn Monroe. She you know, pin up was really big then, and she probably just went and did the shoot for this pin up company and then maybe the photographer convinced her to like take off a little bit. You know, that's happened to me before, where the photographers are like, oh hot, moved the strap down a little bit, and you know, I've called all them outs since because I'm like, you guys are disgusting. But yeah, her shoe probably went a little bit further than she wanted to. Or you know, she was obviously from a broken home and she was you know, in an orphanage and she like had to get married out of it to get out of it. And you know, this is obviously a girl who was vulnerable and people took advantage of that. And it's sad.
Speaker 2: God, that's wild.
Speaker 1: Isn't it insane?
Speaker 3: That you can completely like take someone's photo, build an empire, basically, steal their life, make so much money, not give them a cent, and then demand be buried next to them.
Speaker 2: Was the product of the times, right, you can't get away with that now. That just it's such a shame that we let that happen in front of it. We all celebrated him. Meanwhile he was abusing all these women to.
Speaker 1: Be profited off them. You know, it's interesting, you guys remember em Rada. A similar thing happened to her with her new model, stim Rodokowski. So she had a photographer taken nude photos of her when she was really young, only like eighteen years old, seventeen years old, first getting into modeling, and then when she became famous, he sold those nude photos and they were only meant to be test shots, and she had no right to them. She had no ownership over her digital image. And it's crazy that these things you can be separated from your own photo when you're in it. It's just crazy.
Speaker 3: You know what's sad is when you think about Playboy, You associated with Marilyn Monroe, but you had no idea that she didn't choose that she was used. Growing up, you always thought that she was a part of it, and you must have assumed that was by choice, rightly.
Speaker 2: So you'd think she had new photos there. Of course she approved this.
Speaker 3: And to learn that that was completely out of anything that she ever agreed to or had any capacity to do anything about is absolutely deserted.
Speaker 2: And what a slap in the face to go, you know what, Put me where she's buried. Yeah, put me on top of it where she.
Speaker 1: Shows what a narcissity is.
Speaker 3: Hey, if you want to hear more to that chat, it's so interesting and Crystal lifts the veil on a lot of different things that happened in that mansion. You can head over to Life Uncut Podcasts and you can just search for Playboy mansion or Crystal Hefner and the whole chat is there all right.
Speaker 2: Next the show, It is Friday. We do it every week. We want you to share your little win of the week. We're talking like when you go through drive through at Machas and they give you ten nuggets instead of six.
Speaker 1: That's a little win. Oh it could be a bit bigger than that. That feels like a really little week that was actually my win? Like, was it really dugin getting an extra nuggy.
Speaker 2: Extra It's what happened. We need your little wins. Thirteen one O six five. How has this week been great? We'll give you five hundred bucks at Chemist Square House up for grams at the pickup. Call us now