Speaker 1: Do you love to snack? Or should I say do you live for snacking? Certainly, whenever we post something relating to snack food, it goes crazy online. So we know that whether or not we should be snacking, you all love to hear about it, so we are hearing you and we have now finally released The Nutrition Couch's Guide to Snacking. So on today's bonus episode, we're going to tell you all about the latest product on our website and why you need a copy of the Nutrition Couch Snack Guide in your life.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Susyburrel and I'm Leon Wood, and.
Speaker 1: Each week we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the bye weekly podcast that talks about everything you need to know in the world of nutrition solelyat we have had some great success releasing products to our audience because we know everyone loves to talk about food and nutrition, and in particular, a lot of us shop in supermarkets and we love to know the nitty gritty of supermarket foods because, let's be honest, who has got time to be searching through the snack aisle looking at the labels. There are so many individual differences in products, so it doesn't surprise me that there's an interest in that, but I think we should first start off by saying that Leanne and I are certainly not fans of packaged foods over fresh food. And if I'm completely honest with you to the listeners, I don't snack a lot. I don't buy a lot of packaged snack food. I buy yogurts for my boys at school, cheese and crackers. But really I'm not very big. You know, I'm in my mid forties. I don't need to eat a whole lot, and I certainly don't need to eat a lot of snack food. So this is more providing our listeners with recommendations should you be particularly active and needs to snack, or occasionally you need a bar, or you want to put an entertaining platter out, or you're buying snacks for the kids lunchboxes. But we want to be really clear. We're not saying it's better than a piece of fruit or a plain unprocessed snack. We're simply going through the many hundreds, if not thousands, of snack foods at the supermarket and trying to give our listeners a solid guide and what may tick the boxes anutritionally for their needs.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we're so excited to bring this guide to the market and as far as we're aware, there's no other guide like this. You know, We've got two of Australia's well known dieticians providing our best input on all our favorite snacks and to see the guys one hundred and thirty pages, like, we kind of overdid it, but we love it, don't we.
Speaker 1: I Mean we thought we did be up.
Speaker 2: Months ago, but we just kept writing and writing and writing. The first twenty pages is actually just all about sacks, Like we're talking about like, what is the snack? What are the signs that you need to snack one of the lowest calorie snacks. What if I'm someone that is like a mindless munchha. Do I need to snack before or after exercise? What are the best snacks to have pre and post workout? What if I want to snack after dinner? What are the appropriate snacks? What times of the day should I be stacking. The first twenty pages is educational content about snacking, and then the other ninety plus pages of the guide are all of our favorite super market snacks. So it is jam packed full of knowledge and we're super excited to bring it to you guys, and what we.
Speaker 1: Really tried to do is break it down into category, because certainly, when we're talking about snacks, there's different requirements to different people. You know, if you're twenty trying to gain muscle mass going to the gym each day, you may need to snap two or three times a day, and the type of snack you're going to need is very different from a postmetapausal female in her sixties who is really just looking for a psychological top up at four or five PM. So we sort of debated about whether to categorize them in time of day, but we settled on breaking it down into nutritional category. So we've got healthy eating, we've got protein based snacks for people who are more active. We've got calorie control for people who perhaps want to snack but don't need as many calories. We've got kids section Gluten free low fodmap. We've got a whole section on AUDI which was very challenging and we're very traumatized, so we can't talk too much about it, but we have as because your requests for AUDI snacks, we've got a section on those which is separate but really no matter what your nutritional requirements are. We've really covered you and hence that's why there's such a density there. There's sort of different snacks but different folk so you can really link it to the nutritional goals that you have. But we've really gone through all the mainstream supermarket products in both the main section and the health food and basically piqued the ones that we would recommend use and buy ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the majority are in supermarkets such as Cole's, wool Wors and IgA, but there are a couple that we recommend online. Some of the smaller brands which are wonderful just out available in the biggest supermarkets. So yes, this is sort of a supermarket snacking guy, but it's also got things available online. And as Susie mentioned, it's got a separate section for Aldi as well. And it was very traumatizing having to get the high quality photos from Aldi just because they weren't that responsive. Although Aldi has great snacks, we just couldn't get the nutritional labels and the photos available for that. So that's all we'll say there, but a couple more categories, so we've got the healthy eating and the protein. Like Susie mentioned, we've also got calorie controlled, We've got sweet snacks, savory snacks, We've got drinks. We've got our gut friendly which is including some low probotic probotic stuff gluten free which is fully appropriate for City Act disease. We've got our active individuals high calcium, which we know is so important as we get older. We've got a plant based, a vegan section, and snacks for our kids which are all Mea and Susie's twins, Gus and Harry approved.
Speaker 1: As well, and we've had a few questions. Three of their recipes. Now, we did debate whether to include some recipes for snacks things that we cook, and we decided against it. One because this Snack Guy was already massive. You know, it's one hundred and forty pages. It really is a book. And last time when we released a supermarket guide, which just has sold so many copies, we had quite a few people who've actually printed it out, went to office where it's printed it out, so they had the physical book. We have found most people prefer it as a PDF on their phone because it's easy to scroll through at the supermarket. But when it came to then adding baking as well and photographing those we've decided against it, but what we will do is in the new year, we've got it on our list to do a snack cooking guide where you can make your own Whereas this is purely similar to the supermarket shopping guide, purely dedicated to snacks because everyone loves a snack so very much and always wants to know a new and exciting and tasty snack food. So it's retailing what have we got it for twenty four ninety five twenty four ninety nine on our website, The nutritioncouch dot com. Share it with your friends. I'm sure it will be really helpful when you're out shopping and want to know what may fit where. It's got all the full nutritionals there so you don't have to take your magnifying glass when you go to the shop, and you know we've tried where possible to choose good quality astray and products with sort of minimal processing and clean ingredient lists which you will absolutely see from the guide. So on top of that, we also wanted to take an opportunity to ask LeeAnne a little bit more about having her second baby, Matilda Tilly. In the last month or so. As many of our listeners will know, we sort of stopped recording quite a while before Leean had the baby, and now she's sort of five weeks into maternity leave. So I thought it was a chance to ask her a little bit about how it's going and where she's up to in the recovery process, to give all the new mums out there a little bit of motivation boost that it's not always easy, particularly when you're the mom of two small children under two. Isn't that right then?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Two U two is no joke. But it's been a while right so far, and we've loved every minute of it.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, are you going to give us any details? So are you going to tell us how you're going to fly some questions at me O soday? Give us the exact date she's how many weeks old? What was the date of the birth?
Speaker 2: So she was born five am Friday morning, oh night labors, but not only this time, so she was bang on thirty nine weeks, went into labor thirty eight plus six and then she was born at thirty nine weeks Friday morning, twenty first of July. So she's four and a half weeks at the moment.
Speaker 1: And she was a bit smaller, wasn't she that She was was.
Speaker 2: Four point two kid, She was a big, big bub and Tilly was three point three. So nine hundred grams less like nearly a whole kilo lesson and oh my goodness, that makes a significant difference. Like Mia pretty much started out in like triple zero was with Tilly. I actually had to go to the shops and buy new ball sizes because I just didn't have any. Because we always knew Mia would be big. She was always measuring big on every scan we had with the OBI. But with Tilly, the whole time, the OBI was like, she's very average, she's very average. And I kept saying to David, I'll see what I believe it. I reckon she's going to be over four kilo. She'll be another big baby. And we're quite shocked when she came out. We were both like, oh, she's so much smaller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice for your body. But we won't go into those details. I'm sure you'll share the intimate birth story on your own podcasts. They have more nutrition.
Speaker 2: We'll keep this PG.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but are you physically you're feeding her?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we're exclusively breastfeedding. She's doing really well. She's taken to feeding very very well. And David and I are heading down to Sydney for a bit of work next week, so we've I've tried pumping a couple of bottles and she's taken a bottle quite well as well, So she's doing well. She's chunking up very nicely.
Speaker 1: Because you're a good little cowardn't you. You've got plenty of milk showing off to all the people like me who didn't get any.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I of anything. I probably have a bit of an oversupply, so with some issues in the first week or two with engorgement, but otherwise, yeah, we're doing.
Speaker 1: Well and about just you know, our listeners are interested in nutrition. You've already got I've seen on your social bit of an exercise bike in the new house. What's your kind of health routine at the moment in this initial newborn phase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I've got to check with my OBI booked at seven weeks, and a physio appointment booked around that seven week mark as well. So really what the physio said to me hospital was just walking at a couple of like more pelvic health exercises and strength you know, stretches for the first sort of six to eight weeks. So at the moment, I'm just doing a lot of low intensity stuff. I'm still trying to do my pelvic floor exercises, and I started for the first three weeks with just small walks like I'm talking, you know, ten to twenty minutes. In the last week or so, I really increased them to about thirty minutes. And I've hired an Assault bike offline. I had quite a lot of questions about where I hired that. I looked online and they're actually quite expensive, so I actually went onto Facebook Marketplace and they were a lot more affordable with some local gyms and pets in the area. Like I picked up my Assault bike for twenty five dollars a week, which I think is really reasonable. When the guy dropped it off for an extra thirty dollars and he said he'd pick it up as well, So really really affordable. And my physio was very happy for me to do that because it's very low intensity and low impact. Honestly, I do ten minutes on the Assault Bite and I'm wracked. I do a minute on and a minute off, so five minutes in total. You don't think that that sounds a lot, but these assault bikes, or they're also called air bikes, work your entire bodies. So you do your arms and your legs and it just gases you like it's Yeah, it's such a good workout, and it's something that I can fit in when the kids are napping or if everybody got sort of ten to fifteen minutes. It's an awesome way just to build up that cardiovascular fitness again as well. So not doing any weights at the moment, wait till I'm clear around that seven eight week month, and then I think around week eight to ten, I'll sort of slowly ease back into the gym.
Speaker 1: Because that needs to happen. Doesn't end because you've got a photo shoot coming up? Is that correct?
Speaker 2: I do, Susi, and I booked a photo shoot in it for the end of the year, or not even the end of the year, a couple of months. I mean it's like nearly September. So yeah, I've got about ten kilos of babyweight to lose, so it will be interesting. We've got to practice. Oh, I've got to practice what I preached, and.
Speaker 1: We're both in a bit of trouble. So yes, we are very focused and I'm sure that will bring some great anecdotes to share with our listeners about we all have to go through this pain to keep our bodies in good nick as we move through the life stages. But just the final question in the end, some of our listeners may be interested to show how you could possibly be fitting in exercise with a new board and a child unto two, would you have a nanny on board?
Speaker 2: Having David as wonderful, Susie has lovingly named him the Maddy, He's got some good time off work because I'll be heading back to work kind of next week actually, so I had about five six weeks of what you would like to call me turning to leave, even though I did do a little bit of work in that time. And David's got some great leave. He's built up some long service leave and some annual leave from his work, so he'll be home to help with the kids as well. But even with the two of us, two want to do is no joke. Because we've got the new house, the builders are still here. We're trying to unpack everything, you know. We bought a lot of new things as well, for the house. There's a lot of furniture to build. It's still kind of a bit of a work site, so we've got to keep our eyes on mere because there's like you know, just different bits of materials lying around. So it's been a while ride. The last month it's been absolutely crazy, but yeah, we're hoping things settle down a little bit in the next couple of months.
Speaker 1: A big shout out to that Manny because he's pretty good at helping us with the Nutrition Couch as well. And thanks David to for getting that snack ried up. We've got some more jobs for you. Don't worry well, Leanne. Congratulations from everyone. We're so thrilled to see your journey with the babies, and I think it's such great insight because you're constantly sharing how you exercise, eat, feed the kids, and you know, it's nice to see health practitioners actually walking the walk, not just talking it. So we look forward to seeing this pair ranting journey with you. So on that note, if you are a snacker, you simply must go to the Nutrition Couch dot com and get yourself a copy of our brand new Snack Guide. It's got everything you could ever possibly want to know about snacking as well as our best recommendations, and we will see you for our regular episode drops every Wednesday and Sunday.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, Thanks for listening.