Speaker 1: Here we go. Is it getting a full introduction?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because it's a special bonus the roast potato to you bye, the crispiest, crunchiest roastiest potato.
Speaker 1: Very quickly. For those people who don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm why are you here? You said you weren't going to be a part of this, and in fact it's me and.
Speaker 1: Sasha free if you skip the episode.
Speaker 3: Kate, a month or so ago, came into the studio very excited and proclaimed loudly, I think we should do a bonus episode about roast potato.
Speaker 2: Because Sasha had also mastered the previous night roast Potato.
Speaker 1: And I will always admit when I'm wrong on this pod. Teased you, yes, belittled.
Speaker 2: You, yes, mercilessly.
Speaker 3: The truly had a number a fair whack of messages saying where is the roast potatoes?
Speaker 2: And here we areato, hot potato, Potato, hot potato.
Speaker 3: To let you two have ittato potato alrighth French kick off.
Speaker 2: All right, So for years I have tried to do roast potatoes. And in fact, do you remember years ago when we were doing radio and we got a very famous Australian chef, a former master chef judge, and we asked him the secret of roast potatoes, and I have never felt the same way about him.
Speaker 1: Was that the one that didn't pay people?
Speaker 2: Yep, so he said the first thing that you he goes, Well, you don't buy supermarket potatoes was what he said. And from that point supposed to exactly exactly right, out of touch, out of touch.
Speaker 1: They're grown in the dirt.
Speaker 2: Correct, covered in dirt. They're probably the yeah or basic least played.
Speaker 1: With vegetables at the supermarket.
Speaker 2: They are, although they do wash them, not the.
Speaker 3: Ones that are covered in dirt when all others have sold out.
Speaker 2: What you're right, where are you supposed to get them? Well, I'm going to go out, my mate, Yeah, that's potato. Of course he does. I'll give you his number, and he fertilizes them with dome stools and some rare potato that hasn't been grown anyway. Whatever, Why did I anyway? But this goes to show how long our interesting roast potatoes has been going.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's you mastered over the years, and you have fails and have a success.
Speaker 1: Relationships.
Speaker 3: I've always said that potatoes are like relationships.
Speaker 2: Okay, my mother in law Marie has always been able to. She can shake roast potatoes out of their sleeves. They're crispy, They're always crispy. She just puts them in the oven. She doesn't do many of the things when I do it mine and never go.
Speaker 3: Chris, I'm going to guess what the secret is? Is it just heaps and heaps of fat and butter that you just add to it.
Speaker 1: The speed in which you do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know how she does it. When I've tried to do it the way she does it, it never would. Now I have come to I'm going to say, full proof, do you want to do yours for? You will tell me about your history.
Speaker 4: I have been through a time of being lazy and not par boiling and just yeah, biling.
Speaker 2: I don't even But Marie doesn't have to part boil. I don't know how anyway, I don't know either. So we now, Okay, here's the key.
Speaker 3: Every time potatoes. If it's telling me to first, it's not happening.
Speaker 2: Okay, then you are never going to have the Chris, the most stunning.
Speaker 1: Committing to a boil before a roast.
Speaker 2: So good. And also, you know what's great.
Speaker 1: About all the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know it's great about it. Then it cuts down the cooking time carry on, So you can do it earlier in the day. You can. I've even done it the day before. Ave done it and put them in the freezer. My god, in the freezing. Don't they get moisture in the freezer?
Speaker 4: No, because I sort of steamed them first. Need the moisture out, and then put them on the right paper together and.
Speaker 2: Then put them in the bag.
Speaker 1: Who okay?
Speaker 3: The secret plant forward plans potatoes so far away that you're freezing.
Speaker 2: Them people roast crispy judging.
Speaker 1: I'm impressed, And this is an impressed tone.
Speaker 2: You know what, not all of us are gay. Some of us are doing the heavy lifting food advice in a relationship. We're not married to someone else who's going to be doing it.
Speaker 1: It's a good point, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You really you need to check your privilege.
Speaker 1: I puffed the privilege.
Speaker 2: You puff to privilege. You puffed to privilege. Anyway, I shoulgall the episode that anyway. So I'm like U, Sash. Once I started par boiling change everything, I was like you, I think I thought it would be a lot of extra work it's so easy. I'm with you, that's it. And me one, Okay, here's my potatoes. So I toil them, and I parboil them longer than you would think me too, parboil them a to cooked basics about yeah right, so and often that happened because I just forgot that they were on the stove.
Speaker 1: Yeah on brand.
Speaker 2: Then take them, make sure they're really dry.
Speaker 4: So I go back into the pot, take the water out, back into the pot on the heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, low heat to get the steam out. That's what the Dutch do also for mashed potatoes to get rid of. But I can't do that anymore because I've burnt too many. I've been forbidden from doing that. Burnt too many pots bottoms of potatoes. Yeah anyway, So now I put them. But some times I give them a light steam and then I pourt. Okay, this is what I do. When it comes to the oven. I crank the oven up to like two hundred and twenty, even two thirty. I don't believe you can turn it up too hot. It's like the Sahara des it crank it, yep. And I put the oil. I put some olive oil and butter, a big chunk of butter in there together to get hot already. And I put a sprinkle of salting to stop anything burning, right, you know, if you salt stops the oil burning. If you're frying something on the stove as well, if you put a sprinkle of ye stops the oil burning. Anyway, then when it's really piping hot, is this what you do as well?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't do the butter, but I do the hot pan and oil before I put the potato.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's hot. So when you put them in fizzle love this. Then I quickly flip them so they've got they're gorgeous covered all over, as Nigella would say, They're buttery coat has rubbed itself all over.
Speaker 5: And now they're heading into cinema in a butterly coat where they might find it get to be hot and a londo their jackets and it's like they're fluffy insides to the unsuspected, like she's.
Speaker 2: In the room anyway. And then I do them for forty let's do the look. Yeah, they look good, they look good.
Speaker 1: Black. I want some black. I want some crisp.
Speaker 2: Are you getting black?
Speaker 1: Very crisp and.
Speaker 2: Very and soft in the center and that is the sacred. No herbs gotten, No herbs, not for a roast potato.
Speaker 4: Occasionally some garlic, just.
Speaker 1: Mind, no rosemary, no time.
Speaker 2: If you want, if you want, I have done. I have done it. When I've cut them really small and cube them really for just a side dish it. But you will never fail. And he's the best part you can use. Supermarket potato. Yeah, take that any potato master judge name. That was my favorite episode we've ever done about.
Speaker 1: That d potatoes.
Speaker 3: You say potatoes, potato?
Speaker 1: What a buck up?
Speaker 2: That potato?
Speaker 3: See, we give what our community simply demands, and they demanded the potato app And.
Speaker 2: Also that's the most I've heard of, Sash. Please don't let them put that put you off the paper again.
Speaker 1: Mic Off.
Speaker 2: The buck Up podcast is hosted by me Kate lane Brook and him Nathan Valvo. It's produced by the brilliant Sasha French. Audio and sound by the magnificent Yack Lawrence you might call him Jack and Dom Evans. Oh we're lucky.