Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. They might welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight at our television industry and streaming services today. On the podcast, I have two of Channel ten's Mastership for Australia favorites. It's John and Christina. It takes a lot of courage to come back on reality TV after you've already had your first serve, but these two took the plunge and returned to the kitchen with honesty and integrity, which I think Australia really appreciated. They are the first two favorites to exit the competition, but as you will find from our chat today, they have walked away with a greater perspective on their cooking and new missions. In their future endeavors. We will talk about their experiences, their highs and lows, what Christina thought of the new host compared to the old and if she's been in touch with those former judges. John will talk about why he said yes to returning and what Julie Goodwin said to him after his elimination. There are a few audio issues along the way today, but I hope you can bear with that, as there were some great insights from both contestants. However, let's get started with today's guests. I'd like to welcome John and Christina to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: They might give you sixty minutes to cook. Really you're not standing at your bene for sixty minutes.
Speaker 3: Musta Sheff has produced some of the biggest names in food. Doing season seven, it was very it was very difficult.
Speaker 1: For the first time ever. It's funds versus favorites.
Speaker 2: They want to know about the story, they want to know about your heritage.
Speaker 1: Season seven, We've got job.
Speaker 3: If you didn't have a pin, maybe he was the one that was going to leave the competition.
Speaker 1: And season five, Christina.
Speaker 4: I think that talking about things so important.
Speaker 1: Hi, John, how are you?
Speaker 3: Oh good? Thank you yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm actually doing really well. And congratulations on returning to Master Shepper, Australia. I feel like you committed to this experience physically and emotionally. Were you were You're almost relieved when it came to and end last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll be telling people I was actually a half half about it. Half of me wanted to say but the other half just wanted to get out of that pressure cooker situation. Cooking in that kitchen it's always so tough because, like I mean, realistically, who does a dish in sixty minutes or in thirty minutes? I mean, when you cook, you you want to try and pour everything into all your love to it and take time to sort of nurture that dish and it's something great. But in that kitchen, you put that aside and basically just rely on your skills and your technique to put up a really good dish.
Speaker 1: When the producers called and asked you to return, what was that process like for you?
Speaker 3: Well, when I get the call, I thought, oh should I do this? I was a bit hesitant. I thought, is it a good idea to come back? I mean, I'm happy with what I'm doing now. I still love cooking. That's something that would never sort of go away. But at that time, I was actually I started a week business with my partner. So we're doing human hair wigs and it's all custom made, and we do weeks that actually fit someone's head rather than relying on say like an online which doesn't really fit, like, we'll fit in your head, but it's not your the capsize. But that was something that we really loved and enjoyed doing because we got so much from our clients just the positive feedback of what that was giving them. For example, we've had a lot of alopecia patients that come to us that get the wigs and it's just amazing when they put it on, it's like they've gotten their confidence back. And to me, that was our goal doing that business, and I loved it.
Speaker 1: So I guess the hesitation, you know, wasn't really there because you were worried about how your career would be affected in the kitchen because you were already onto bigger and better things.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I had that business and I had to really rethink, do I want to leave this behind and put that aside and leave all our clients on a limbo or go back to master chef and continue on with my passion for food. It was definitely a hard decision to do because I knew the pressure going into the Master Chef kitchen, like I mean, doing season seven, it was very It was very difficult, but at the same time, I actually enjoyed my time in that kitchen. So when I did decide to come back, I thought, no, I think I should give this another go. And when they were when they called me, they said, oh, you're coming back because people remember you from the white Chocolate valute, and that actually triggered something in me, and I thought, hang on a sec that shouldn't be what I was remembered for, because that's one small part of what I did on the show. That shouldn't be what will remember me for. So I came on the show to sort of show people that that doesn't define who I am as a cook. So to me, coming back was my sort of redemption to show no, I can work in the team environment. Watching back on season seven, I had so many amazing team challenges throughout that season, meaning Lasmoba Tourist's first team challenge. I was a team leader for that. Oh, there were so many others that peterfull has sort of put back and then had the white chocolate vlute at the front, so I thought, no, we need to bury that white chocolate lute and just you know, move on.
Speaker 1: Well. Being the first fan favorite to leave, you know, does that change the way your relationship is with the show? Like, is that changing the way that you think about Master Chef? Mentally?
Speaker 3: No, not at all, Like I mean to me, it's a TV show. They needed to bring, you know, the best of the best in the competition and I thought, wow, just to be picked to be as a favorite to come back to the show was you know that it itself was I was just thankful for.
Speaker 1: Absolutely what I mean, this is a really good question to ask you. What has Mastership Australia taught you the most over the years? You know, looking back at season seven and looking at this experience, now, what is the show taught you as a person?
Speaker 3: I guess well, what I've taken away from it is basically the bond that I've created with all the contestants. But I mean, we all came in with one single with the goal of basically winning the competition, but at the same time, we all had the same passion for food and learning. With what they've gone through after the competition, with the favorites. I've learned so much. I've learned so much from Mindy who loves Australian natives, and I'm actually going to start incorporating Australian natives the chocolates that I'm relaunching. I'm doing a bean to our chocolate business that I'm going to highly relaunch at the end of the year and introduce Australian natives into a sort of flavor profiles in that chocolate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well do you think that Do you think that Master Chef has been has the best display of diversity in reality television here in Australia.
Speaker 3: Oh, definitely. I think the good thing about Australia food wise is we do have all these cultures that contribute to our food scene, and I think that's what's unique about Australia compared to other countries that we have, like it's a melting pot of different cultures and we create some of the most amazing food in the world.
Speaker 1: Well, I like the cultural and world diversity that comes with, you know, the brilliant casting of this show, and I think End of Old Shine Australia does a very good job with that. But do you think that that is because international cuisine leaves no excuse but to have more multicultural represents on this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. I think the food that we actually showcase in Australia when you ask someone, oh, what is austrain food? Like, I mean, we don't really have our own sort of identity. So we've had to actually create our own identity to be to be Australian. And that's with all our cultures being brought in. And I think when I was in this season and talking to Mindy, I think what's important now is to sort of go into the direction of coming back and respecting the land that we actually standing on and sort of showcasing those Australian natives and incorporating those into all our different cultures to create an identity that is Australian.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I think you said that's so well, you know, talking about last night's episode, those pins were being used left, right and center. You know if there were no immunity pins, do you think that someone else may have gone home last night?
Speaker 3: Well, whenever I cook, I'm also just sort of focused on my on my food, and I don't see what's going on around me. But watching last night's episode, there were a few cooks that weren't really hitting the spot. I was actually surprised with Tommy facing his broth. It was like he wasn't getting much flavor and he wasn't getting the right sort of punches that he wanted in his dish. And he's an amazing cook, and that really surprised me because, like, I mean, an egg challenge that he really threw him off. And I guess having a community pin in the back of his mind maybe played a big part in the way he thought about his dish. Maybe he was just thinking, Oh, should I use this or should I just keep cooking. I think that hindered his ability to cook something amazing. And maybe if he didn't have the pin, maybe it would have been a different story. But if he didn't have a pin, maybe he was the one that was gonna leave the competition.
Speaker 1: I mean that's kind of how I saw it as well. I mean I was shocked. John. I think the funniest moment for me as a viewer last night was that I think I had just as much sweat on my forehead as you did as you were waiting for the whites to thicken. And I was like, yeah, it's like how is. I was patting my own head down as a viewer, going, oh my god. You know so, I think it's just such a stress stressful situation you know to be And I still think you handled it so well.
Speaker 3: I was down to my last three eggs and I thought this needs to whip up because and I even made sure everything was clean. I requested for new equipment to actually whip up the egg whites, and I thought this is gonna work because I know if you get one little bit of a speck of oil or anything anything foreign into that egg white, it's not going to whip up. And that's what happened in yesterday's challenge. It wasn't whipping up, and I had no eggs left, so quick thinking, I thought, I'm just going to do chantilla cream and put it on top. When it actually worked. I've tasted it. The chantilla cream actually added a luxurious element into it because lemon tart is quite sweet and adding to it sort of added that extra layer of sweetness. But putting the chantilly cream it actually balanced the whole thing. So I thought I'm probably safe doing this. But being an next challenge, the judges were expecting him around on top. To cap it off, I.
Speaker 1: Have to ask about this son in law, which was the first dish that you cooked. You know, I'd never heard of, you know, a son in law before, so I want to know, like, where does that name come from.
Speaker 3: I think it's got something to deal with a son in law impressing their mother in law that they can actually cook, like a dish that they sort of cooked to impress them that sort of that can marry their future wife. That's the story of the son in law. But it's it's definitely a beautiful dish. It's something that I'm definitely challenging to cook because you know, you don't want to overcook that egg. And I guess in that challenge yesterday I've I'm there, made myself in the timing and ended up having a robbery egg. But I mean the comments that came with them was amazing, Like the jam mel was saying that I should bottle it. So I was happy with the with that.
Speaker 1: I think that sounds like a good side hustle. And I can confirm that you already have one customer.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: You know that in the last cook though, do you think that or did you ever have another dish that you might have cooked last night instead of the lemon meringue, and seeing how the judges reaction, you know, reacted to the other contestants as food. Do you think that you know that other choice might have been a better choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thinking of it now, I should have just done a cram caramel because I always do that. I always pook that dish and it always turns out the way I want it. I mean, that's simple cooking. But I mean this competition is interesting because they actually prefer you to do classics right. But for me, we wanted to impress the judges and show them the techniques that I have. Having sixty minutes, I wanted to impress them and show them a nice, beautiful tut But yeah, I should have just had a bit of restraint and gone back to this, like a really simple cram caramel, and that would have saved me.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing I think I'm going to remember you for from this season is this emotional moment that you had where you walked out of the kitchen, which was last week. You know, you talked about your partner who loves your food and is your biggest champion. I was curious to know, you know, was it hard for your partner to watch that moment as it played out on telling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we actually haven't sat down and watched the say that that episode together.
Speaker 1: It busy making wigs.
Speaker 3: Well, he was actually out of the country and then I was actually coming back from la and then when I got back, he had to leave as well. So I will sort of like ships in the night sort of past at each other. And yeah, but when he was, he was definitely emotional when when that came up.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think of my partner when things happened to me when I've been on television before. You know, he's fearfully protective of me, and you know, yeah, at that point, you know, sort of what can you do after that moment though, I mean, Melissa was just so gorgeous. But do you think and she does such a fantastic job on the show. I just I think she's my favorite judge. I shouldn't say that because you shouldn't have favorites, But you know, do you think that that chat that you had outside brought you and Melissa closer together?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Definitely, it definitely did. Just the worst that she gave me was just it really pushed me push my limits and made sure that I do belong in that competition, And she was the one that actually made me realize, you know, you do belong in this competition and I'm not a Twitter and for me to hear what Meles said really cemented my place in that competition. I thought, you know, I'm going to do this and push through.
Speaker 1: Who do you think is going to win at this point of the competition when you walked out, not what you know now, but like as you came out of the kitchen that day, who did you think was going to win? Like who was your pick or I.
Speaker 3: Thought Mindy was I thought Mindy definitely. Her knowledge, her experience and just the way she talks about food was just inspiring and I thought, I want her to win that competition absolutely well.
Speaker 1: One question I ask everyone who joins the podcast is what it is something from behind the scenes that we did not see and we won't see that you can reveal from behind the scenes, like a behind the scenes moment from your time making Master Chef Australia fans versus favorites.
Speaker 3: Well, guess the bond that we actually created behind the scene. We came, we all came in with the same passion for food and just sharing that knowledge as well. That's what the audience don't actually see. I mean, I guess you do see it on screen when someone leaves the kitchen, and you do see that genuine emotion outflowing. And I think just behind the scene, the things that we share, just having each other's back. I mean, we all talk around the table and we don't even feel like we're in a competition. That's how strong we walk into that kitchen and we just cook for ourselves, not as a competition. So I think that's something that people don't see behind their scenes.
Speaker 1: Was there any advice that any of you or other favorites, you know, the winners and the favorites that were back. Was there anyone that gave you any words of wisdom after your elimination.
Speaker 3: Keeping it simple and just cooking the food that you love and not trying to cook to impress, but cook what you love.
Speaker 1: And who gave you that advice?
Speaker 3: Oh, Mindy and Julie, they were the ones that were you know, kept telling me, oh, you know you've got to you can do this, and you know, just cook from your heart and don't try to impress others, you know, start with yourself and cook what you love.
Speaker 1: Well, John, I loved watching you on the show. My favorite reality TV contestants of all time are people who are honest and people who are real. And I have to say I absolutely loved watching you on the show.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you so much. I mean, that was my whole intention. Like, I'm not the type of person that wants to be in front of capta camera, but going into I knew what I could actually bring, and you know, bringing honesty and the love of food was my main goal.
Speaker 1: It's the most relatable currency that you can have being on television is being real. So it's strange to me that not everyone is like you and can just lay it all on the line like that. So, you know, I think that's a beautiful, a beautiful talent to have.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, there's definitely some great insights from John. But let's unpack Christina's experience on Master Chef Australia as we find out why she returned to Australia's favorite kitchen. Hi Christina, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Well, this is really funny because I have come and gone with Master Chef over the years, you know watching it, and I've never really watched a full season as intently as I am this time around. However, I did remember you on the season five so it was nice to see you back.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I had a very distinctive look as well in season five, so I think it was a little bit easier for people to remember me as that, you know, rockabilly chick. But yeah, it was great to be back. I was shocked and they called me and said yes straight away of course. But yeah, it's been great being back.
Speaker 1: If I'd had more time, I went and found this to put in my hair while to interview Perfect, which is like a red bandanna. Because this is a podcast, no one can see what I'm holding up. But I ran out of time. But I was hoping to look a bit like you for the podcast.
Speaker 4: Do you know what, I'm just going to visualize it. You look stunning.
Speaker 1: Well, no one can see, so I just tell them that it's happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations on returning to mastershef Australia. Did season five to season fourteen feel like a really long break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt like a very long break and a lot happened you know in my personal life as well. So and then we also, you know, went through a pandemic, so you know, I think that extended everyone's far as that felt like it went on forever as well. So yeah, it felt like a really long time, and I felt very rusty.
Speaker 1: Probably felt like fifty years, you know when you think about a pandemic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know, with Mascheff and TV in general, if you're gone for that long, it's basically fifty years in TV.
Speaker 4: Land, right.
Speaker 1: Well, what a compliment that, you know, myself and everyone in Australia remembered you and were excited to see you come back. You know, what were the biggest changes for you in your personal life over that time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the biggest change for me was I ended up getting diagnosed with endometriosis. So I got very sick just after I was on the show, and I was basically bound to my couch for a year. I wasn't able to move and I had a total of like five surgeries for it and just in and out of hospital, lots of pain killers, all like the whole nine yards. And then I ended up looking more into like alternative medicines and that led me down like a food path and how was you know, the that I was consuming affecting my body. And I then changed the way I ate, and I haven't had a surgery in like three years, and I'm no longer on painkillers and it's all because of the way that I now eat, and it's just it's really just eating more clean and that coincided with me just falling in love again with my Portuguese heritage and that food and Portuguese food is very simple and it's eating like good quality ingredients and there's not a lot of ingredients in the food, so it's all kind of went really well together. And so that's probably been the biggest change both in my personal life and then my cooking.
Speaker 3: Life as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Of course, we're going to be following you on your social media, you know, post show with your food, but do you think that you'll be able to share a part of that journey, you know, with the people that do follow you, because I think at the moment, what is really powerful is people on television being able to share their real stories and connecting with the audiodiences. And you know, endometriosis is such a you know, for years it was a bit of a taboo thing where people either didn't know enough about it or they didn't feel comfortable talking about it. And then you think about who you you are as a person. Do you feel like do you feel comfortable to be sharing that kind of stuff?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Definitely, And I've shared a little bit and a lot of times when I do. When I create like an endometriosis friendly recipe, I always you know, hashtag it in my social media that sort of thing like ENDO friendly, and I spoke a little bit about it on my intro video to my new YouTube channel, a little bit about the ENDO. And so as I continue doing that in creating recipes of definitely be talking about it and just you know, just telling people why it's a good recipe to eat, like, you know, why it's a good meal sorry to eat for the endometriosis and that sort of thing. So I think that talking about things is so important. You know, when I was on the show last time, I spoke about you know, my my drug A did when I was a teenager, and a lot of people were like, you're talking about that, and it's like, but you have to because you don't want people to feel alone, and people need to know that you can move forward and that these things happen and you just roll with the punches and life does get better, Like you know, whether it's an addiction or a health condition, whatever it is. I think information is key.
Speaker 1: I love it. Share your story is what I always say to people, and we forget how powerful it is, or we forget how alone some people feel without that. I love it. But we should talk about the show. We talk about food as well. So when the producers called you and asked you to return, what did you think that you would bring this time around that you know that might not have that you might not have achieved last time.
Speaker 2: For me, I thought, well, I'm definitely going to showcase Portuguese food. There hasn't been a contestant on the show that's really done that, you know. There have been a couple of attempts at some Portuguese tarts, which I don't even know why someone would trying to attempt to make a Portuguese on the show. They're so difficult to do, but you know, power to them. I tried to make a barata, so who am I to, you know, to judge, But I definitely wanted to bring Portuguese.
Speaker 4: Food to to and scase that. So that was my main focus in coming back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean you have remembered earlier on in your first season for being a fairly emotional cook under pressure. Did you think that you might have that might have changed, or you know, had you come to accept that maybe you know that's just a part of your personality.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I thought that I would be able to handle the pressure a little bit better, and then the very first cook, I was shaking so badly I could barely chop the onions, and I was like, you know what, it's just me. And I always say that, like cooking and food is my love language. So if it means that I'm an emergent cook and those emotions come through in my food.
Speaker 4: Then so be it.
Speaker 2: I've just had to learn to accept it and go, Okay, I'm going to cry and then that'll be okay and then we just have to move past.
Speaker 4: But I just need to get the cry out and then we'll be good.
Speaker 1: It's okay to cry, you know, it is.
Speaker 4: It is okay to cry. It's just sometimes you're like, just not now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we get to control that kind of stuff, you know, And I can't watch. I gravitate towards emotional people, so you know, like you've got me, you know, it doesn't Did your photo of your family help?
Speaker 2: It definitely helped, And even thinking about it now, like now, I get choked up because it's one of the only photos that I have with everyone in it. My sister and her husband live overseas and so they're in that photo.
Speaker 4: Like every member of my immediate family and everyone who.
Speaker 2: I really love is in that So looking over at it and remembering that I'm doing it for them did help. It did, obviously, you know, catch me in my bills a little, But it helped more than not.
Speaker 4: Having it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. I mean I love that you had the photo of the kids the first time around, you know, being the second favorite to leave the competition. What does this say about the fans of this series, the fans versus favorites. So do you think that they're doing doing well? Like a you're thinking, Wow, they're doing better than you thought. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that.
Speaker 2: At first people would have heard the concept of the show and thought, well, wait, like this is not a fair competition at all. But those fans are really good cooks, and I think that what happened was it just took them a couple of weeks to kind of figure out the kitchen, figure out where all the ingredients were, where all the equipment is. And now that they've figured that out, I'm really scared for the favorites.
Speaker 1: I'm a little bit scared for them. Originally I was like, oh, I don't know, but you know, also last night I just wasn't gonna originally ask this, but when Gareth Winton, is that how he came into the kitchen? I was so pleased that you talked about his hotness.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was. I was like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: How am I meant to focus on this touch?
Speaker 2: It was a little uncomfortable last night watching that with my boyfriend beside me.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. It's not crustinated, because you know what's beautiful about you is you remind me of myself. Like when you see things, you call it out, you say it as it is, and you know we've all got blood running through our bodies. We're allowed to say that you know that someone's hot, you know, without saying.
Speaker 4: Well he even said he was like, yeah, look, I don't blame me. He's pretty hot.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, yeah, he was not insecure about it, you know, which I also love in.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, he was like, yeah, you know, he's hot, look at him, and he can cook. So you know, like, I'm surprised that you're still sitting beside me on the couch.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about that, tut. So you said that you that wasn't going to play into your strengths. Do you think that producers know that kind of stuff and that they do need to get rid of certain people along the way.
Speaker 2: No, I just think that like ninety percent of pressure tests are dessert based, and so, you know, usually because there are so many steps and there's a lot of measurements when you're talking about dessert, and it tends to be more high pressure cook than cooking savory, and most of the cooks on the show gravitate towards savory dishes anyway, There's only really a few that prefer to do sweet dishes. So I think it just levels the playing field a little bit more, just doing like a dessert based pressure test, And so that's why it didn't play into my strengths.
Speaker 4: I'm terrible at desserts.
Speaker 1: What were you hoping for? I guess it would have been unfair. On the others, if it was Portuguese food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if they had just like given some bugal out I, you know, would have smashed it, Like it would.
Speaker 4: Have been great.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, Usually when something on Master Chef anyway, when it's your challenge to win, it's usually when you lose. It's usually when someone else does a better job.
Speaker 1: So, how do you think Julie's going to go? Well, how do you think she's going with the popularity? I mean, it's a lot of pressure on her with her popularity of the return in lots of ways, people are talking about the fact that she's holding the competition. You know, how do you think that she will be if she doesn't win.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Julie will be fine if she doesn't win. I think that she I think she'll be shocked if she ends up winning. To be honest with you, she has so much self doubt in her cooking, and you know, you see that on the show that she doesn't feel like she's you know, good enough, and that her cooking is not up to scratch, although her food is amazing and the stuff that she does in the fact that she made like her own butter on an episode because she didn't have butter light. The way that her brain works is incredible. So I think she'll be fine if if she doesn't win. I just hope that she get really far into the competition. And so how great would it be if she did win? And if she won season one and then she wins this season, like that would be pretty bloody epic.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it would be hard as well. I mean the odds aren't really in your favor with that, you know, so it would be a challenge. And do you think that the competition has evolved much from your time in season five, two, fourteen and what you know, what are those changes that you noticed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely evolved.
Speaker 2: Well, firstly, there are three new judges, so that has changed the competition and also the style of cooking. So you know, the previous judges were really focused on like technique and the way that a dish would look and obviously like the flavor, but they were really technique based, where with these judges, they tend to be more focused on the flavor. And I think with a lot of us favorites, that was something that we struggled with a little bit because We're so used to cooking for the other the previous judges, so that everyone had to kind of like shift their focus a little bit when it came to the food, and it's all about flavor with them. And then just like the cooking, it just gets better and better every year. And I know that they say it in the ads and we all think, like does it really like, couldn't really get any better?
Speaker 4: But it really does.
Speaker 2: Like I thought that there was some good cooks in my season, and there were, but the fans, like they're incredible. And then to be around all these you know, favorites who you know, like Michael Weldon, like his food not only doesn't look beautiful, but.
Speaker 4: It tastes amazing.
Speaker 2: And you know the food that he made, like he's the only person in the world who's made me like a vengamite.
Speaker 4: That's because it was mixed with champagne.
Speaker 1: But he sounds great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's the cooking style is just incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, not to put words in your mouth, but I mean one of the things that I've really enjoyed about the evolution of those posts is there seems to be a little bit more emotional intelligence in the way in which they are presenting, and I think that is why the show's still on telling Like, I felt like that evolution was really important. And then it's amazing that we get someone like yourself that's experienced both competitions and then to talk about those those differences, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's really important to have that change up and to you know, shake things up a bit, you know. And although I absolutely loved, you know, the three judges or previous judges, these guys are just like completely different, and it really is they want to know about the story. They want to know about your heritage, like an emotional experience. That's what they want. They don't care how pretty it looks. They don't care about any of that. It's give me food that you would feed me in your home. That's the sort of food that I love to eat as well. So it's great to see that.
Speaker 1: Did you reach out to the old judges though, Like, did you reach out to them in the process of being cast on this show and now being that we've seen it now on television, have you had communications?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I haven't, so leading up to it is all confidential. So obviously I could only tell my immediate family because I do have children, so you know, my mom knew because I had to move in and look after them while I was gone.
Speaker 4: But no, I didn't reach out to them.
Speaker 2: I've spoken to them a little bit, like just about the years, but I haven't reached out inflation to this season.
Speaker 1: Send them photos of your food nast than what they would have said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially that first dish. They would have just been like, what is this?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things that I always ask everyone that joins the podcast is what is something from behind the scenes that we didn't get a chance to see that we won't get a chance to see that you can reveal from the behind the scenes magic of your time on Mastership Australia. Fans versus Favorites, Oh.
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Other than how unfit I am and that I should have worked on my fitness, it's also just like how big the space is, you know, like there is like that pantry is really far away, and the equipment pantry is also really you know, far away. So although you know they might give you sixty minutes to cook, really you're not standing at your bench for sixty minutes because you're running back and forth the whole time, and you know, normally at home, if you forget something, you know, your fridge is maybe two steps away. So the amount of like running that you have to do and the distance between everything that I think that's one of the reasons why no one ever goes out to the garden, because you could either run out to the garden to get past or just go.
Speaker 4: To the you know, to the pantry that's a little closer, so.
Speaker 1: That you're working up in appetite, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and then you know, you have these heavy boots on and you're wearing jeans, and you know, it's just, yeah, it's not exactly the easiest task to do to cook a dish there.
Speaker 4: And I think that's why half the time we're.
Speaker 2: Like like heavily breathing, trying to trying to catch our breath. So it's the kitchen itself is a lot bigger than what people would imagine.
Speaker 1: So for people applying for the show, start running now, that would be great. I don't know about you, but I also cook in my in my either my pajamas or my sweatpants, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so get some heavy boots and wear pint jeans and just run around like your house a few times, like in between doing stuff like chop the onion and then run around the block and then come back with like one garlic clove and mince that and then go for another on because that tends to Yeah, well, honestly, I focused on my cooking, but I didn't focus on my fitness being.
Speaker 4: Up together, and I probably shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Have done that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, I absolutely loved watching you on the show and hopefully you know what is it, you know, every seven years you come back, so I'll look forward to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm more than happy to come back at third time and hopefully that will be third time's charm, right, so.
Speaker 1: Every year from now on, you know, yeah, we Needese food.
Speaker 2: Yes, we need all Portuguese food on Australian television.
Speaker 1: Please, Well, thank you so much for joining us on the podcast today and unpacking some of your experience and yeah, thanks, I'll be in your audience and Sobill Australia. So we'll look forward to following you on social media and seeing what you get up to next.
Speaker 4: Yeh, no, thank you so much for taking the time out to chat to me. It was a lot of fun,