Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Sam Wood. This is your motivational moment. Here's why water might be the missing piece to your weight loss puzzle. So water with weight loss is a really interesting one. And I'll go to the analogy that I use the most first, because I feel I tell people to drink more water, drink more water, drink more water, and it falls on deaf ears until I tell them it can be the reason perhaps that they do or don't lose weight, and all of a sudden their is prick up. They write it down and they go from drinking one cup a week too much much more than that. And it's funny how everyone has that little catalyst or thing that prompts them to change their behavior so quickly. But I always say that if food is your fuel to the engine that we've got to get ticking along, which is our metabolism, then water is the oil to that engine. It's all very well to have a full tank of petrol, but if you're out of oil, that engine's not going to be running anywhere near its best. And that's how we need to think of our body, and that's how we need to think of our metabolism. It's all very well to exercise. It's all very well to eat well, but if you're dehydrated, you are not giving your metabolism a fighting chance at being efficient. And I mean, the interesting thing is a lot of people think that they don't necessarily have the most efficient metabolisms and that's why they can't lose weight as quickly as.
Speaker 2: That person over there or that person over there.
Speaker 1: And there may be some truth in that, but we also have varying degrees of metabolic efficiency. So some people even mistake hunger for thirst, and that's I mean, that's an interesting one. If you're eating more than you need to because you actually do hydrated and it's a simple fix of drinking water, which who would think is a zero calorie drink, then of course you should make sure you go to the hydration stakes first. I mean, it also helps you eat less. I mean, if you have a big glass of water twenty minutes before dinner, it's amazing how often you don't need to eat as much.
Speaker 2: My tip to people.
Speaker 1: That have a little bit of trouble with portion sizes, which is a lot of us, is to make sure you have a big glass of water before you drink, and then make sure you put a normal portion on your plate, and wait twenty minutes before you have extra to that portion, because you often mistake how you're feeling for hunger, or you eat so quickly that you haven't registered that you fall until you kind of overfall.
Speaker 2: So I think, have the water, make.
Speaker 1: Sure you're hydrated, eat a normal portion of food, and then twenty minutes later, if you're really still hungry by all means, go back from seconds.
Speaker 2: But I bet you you never will be.
Speaker 1: And then the next question is, okay, Sam, I accept that, and that's motivating for me because I am trying to lose weight or burn fat or whatever it might be. So how much is the right amount?
Speaker 2: Now there's a myriad of different formulas.
Speaker 1: You can kind of drop one number off your weight, so if you ate ninety kilos, you drop the zero and then your harve it.
Speaker 2: So that's four and a half.
Speaker 1: So it's four and a half liters, and that's pretty accurate.
Speaker 2: Four and a half liters.
Speaker 1: I've just heard the entire audience fall on the ground going, oh my god, I'm so far off that it's not even funny, which it might be. Well, get to that, but typically I just say three leaders, I just say try and get to the three leader mark, which again, if you're consuming three hundred meals, that's a big, a big step up, and it's got to be gradual. So don't go from trying to drink three hundred meals a day to three liters a day. Increase it the same way as you would increase you know you're running. If you're trying to get to a three k and you can only three hundred meters, you don't do three kilometers tomorrow. You build it up, You build it up, you build it up. It's the same with your water intake. And you want to get ahead of the curve early in the day. So a lot of people find that they're really thirsty, and that's kind of a sign that you're already dehydrated. So you want to wake up, you want to have a big glass of water. You get five six hundred meals in perhaps before you do anything else, and all of a sudden you're ahead of the curve.
Speaker 2: And then you keep drinking.
Speaker 1: And if you find you don't naturally do that, send an alarm on your phone. Every couple of hours, a little baber goes off. It's just getting into this habit of every couple of hours you're drinking water.
Speaker 2: You're drinking water. You're drinking water. You'll find it hydrates you.
Speaker 1: You find your perform but you find you think better, you find you burn fat faster, you find you feel better from a mental perspective and mental clarity perspective as well. So there really is no downside apart from perhaps early on in that adjustment period you're running too the bathroom every thirty seconds, But you will get used to that, your body will adapt to that. But the magic number is three leaders. Obviously, if you're a bigger person, you're exercising a lot, perhaps a little bit more than that. If you drink a lot of coffee, that's a diuretic, so you probably need to up it again. And if you're obviously sweating, if you're doing your your hot yoga or you're running fifteen kilometers, of course you need to compensate. But if you're just a regular person doing regular ish type of exercise and you know that you're currently not drinking enough, your goal for now should be the magic three letter mark. So a little task for everybody for the week is get to three leaders either from tomorrow and maintain it. For five days if you're already relatively close to that mark, or build it up over five days and get to three leaders by day five. If you're one of these people that three letters feel, it's like a massive mountain to climb right now, So you might be adding five hundred meals a day starting at five hundred meals, and by day and I'm at five, you're getting too that magic three letter mark.