Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Had to answer me this. Did you use the word mullet in the eighties?
Speaker 3: Yes, because I see I remember where it was also known in the eighties as ice hockey hair. I don't remember him in the mullet to like the nineties.
Speaker 2: All right, further research into it. The Oxford English Dictionary has credited the Beastie Boys with the term mullet as a haircut.
Speaker 4: The Oe d Roy is recognized all over the world.
Speaker 2: How's this for a scandal? The OED first credited Australian Street Machine Automotive Magazine with the first publication describing the mullet in nineteen ninety two, pre dating the Beastie Boys. Then later is discovered that the magazine image had been faked and the twenty eighteen apology posted had the fake. So the MAGA.
Speaker 4: Post deep fake was about the mullet.
Speaker 2: The magazine fudged their dates to say we were the first one to come up with the mullet. Wow, but apparently in the eighties we didn't call it a mullet.
Speaker 4: Can someone calling?
Speaker 3: Can anyone call in and tell us some of this? Honestly, did you really call it the munet in the eighties. I don't believe we did. I don't memory one calling him money. It wasn't known as being awed unusual, just how you had your hair.
Speaker 2: And if the Beastie Boys did come up with it, they should get more credit for coming up with the word.
Speaker 3: Got enough credit, I mean, the Wandi recognized the pioneer of music. There's nothing held the Beastie Boys back. When are we going to get the ju kudos for coining the words word?
Speaker 1: Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 4: We're talking about the great Munnet still going strong here in Austrow. Did it ever go away? No, it didn't. You've stood by the monet now.
Speaker 3: Jack has found some interestant research about the origins though not of the mudllet the haircut, but actually the word mullllet, which is what we universally all over the world called that ye and.
Speaker 2: When I actually think of the mullet as an eighties icon hairstyle. But apparently it wasn't until nineteen ninety four that we used the word mullet, and the Oxford English Dictionary says the of the term mullet to describe a hairstyle was coined by American hip hop group the Beastie Boys in their song Mullet Heead nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what of You's emailed me saying you're actually at work, supposed to be working, but actually now googling this doing research for us about the origins of the phrase. Mullllet send me a link to the Guardian website and a very dry dollar con section they've got called semantic enigmas. I'm listening to ABC through the night now it was time for this week's semantic enigmas.
Speaker 2: Hey, we did Doyley's and Haberdashery ten.
Speaker 3: Stand by that, stand by that. That's hard talk on this show. Why is a muddet hairstyle called a mudet? Mullett websites done, that was the thing. There are munet websites. Munllet websites generally credit the car coining of this phrase to Mike d of the of course Beastie Boys. This came from the song Mullettheads on the ninety four album Ill Communication, which described the hairgun it's wearers. Someone else chipping in on this. Americans call it the biff rib, which stands for business in front, rocking at the back. Paul Newman apparently refers to actually says the words mullet heads in his film Cool Hand Luke, which was out in nineteen sixty seven, which is see if we can get.
Speaker 4: Hold of the audio for that. You know, we need to speak today, right, we've got color. You were lined up? Is anyone who was a hairdresser in the eighties?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: What would a guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, come in and actually say what they want? Would they just go look short the back? Leave it all big on top?
Speaker 2: I know the person my hairdresser used to be a hairdresser to the star.
Speaker 4: How did you leave it with them? When you leave a hairdresser?
Speaker 2: No, no, she retired, Oh she retired scissors. She hung up the scissors. I had to leave. But she said she used to do all the rock bands as they came through the rolling stones on the show. Yeah, Colleen, I bet she'll know what number.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, let's try it at that. So all right, let's go to lines right now. So we're trying to find out what did we all say in the eighties for the money? If it didn't come along to the Beasti Boys in ninety four, Brett, good morning, good morning, Brett, what do you reckon the money, when do we start saying it?
Speaker 6: Well, in my opinion, the muddlers known as the Bogan cut in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, we used to call it the ice ice hockey hair in the UK. Mainly we thought it was mainly like Canadians that sort of had that look in the It.
Speaker 4: Does feel like a very very Candian.
Speaker 3: Sashes Australians as well, but yeah, go on, Bogan cut them.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, So if you had the mullet, you were known as a bogan yeap. And and if you went to the hairdresser you would make sure that they kept tails at the back.
Speaker 3: And I think it's the nastiest manifestation and variation of the munet. The munet I think can look good, right, but those rattails if you see it on like a five or seven year old boy, right, I'm afraid you judge the parents don't.
Speaker 2: Oh no, wait, I know. I spoke to bretton his son has a mullet.
Speaker 6: He does, and it's.
Speaker 4: Down awkward, Brett. I'll send your price. Brett, thank you very much for calling. He's triple.
Speaker 3: Who knew we could fall out with this is a rat tails? I didn't know that was my unpopular opinion. Let's go to sorry Breton the son.
Speaker 5: Good morning Joe, Yes, Hi, hello Christian.
Speaker 4: My friend. What do you say mullets?
Speaker 5: Man? Jack's right, we need to call with a mullet. Matter of fact, back in the late seventies we should just going in the head dresser and say look, I takes some off the sides and leave the back along. That was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no one said the word money. It wasn't known as that one.
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't. If you have look at some of the some of the gangs back in the early seventies, like the I think it was the sharpest, normal basedab their heir along at the back and stuff.
Speaker 4: But that too. Yeah, we have to have a look at some of those gangs of the seventies.
Speaker 3: I want to see Daniel day Lewis the Gangs of Australia in a mullet.
Speaker 2: Australia is the movie that needs to.
Speaker 4: Be nice, getting Daniel day Lewis to call me on? Who's calling?
Speaker 3: Christian now pictured to him he set in the seventies in Frankston.
Speaker 4: You're rocking and money.
Speaker 2: Everybody has a mullet, but they don't call it that.
Speaker 4: They don't call it that my friend soon as a bogan, Joe. Great call, Thank you very.
Speaker 5: Much, Well well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's Show podcast